shuke

Black Ice Skeptic

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 59,867 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:Soap fusion.

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:26 PM

I've had AAA forever, mostly in case my wife gets a flat or is out with the kids and needs a jump or something. But I don't think we've used it for the past 4 years and I hate paying for nothing. Curious what everyone else is using.
Owning Capella in fantasy sports since 2003.
Owning Otis in werewolf since 2010.

I hate signatures, but love irony.

#2 Sweet Love

Sweet Love

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,528 posts
  • Joined 03-September 03
  • Interests:Voodoo women named Phyllis

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:34 PM

Personally, I feel the benefits of AAA have totally outweighed the cost. When I consider a program to join, I look at it long-term. The two I belong to are AAA and AHS (American Home Shield...covers appliances, etc). To me, AAA is a literal "lay-up". When you consider the "spend" per year, one breakdown in the middle of no-where will cost you like 5+ years of payments...that does not account for the times you need to jump the car on the road (I have young kids and they always mess with interior lights, so I have been jumped 9 times in the last 4 years...wish my record was as strong with the wife). AHS is more costly (we pay roughly $650/year) and 2011 is the only year where it has not paid for itself since 2005 when we started it. Wife wanted to drop it, but when we added everything together, we are roughly plus $1,500 and the best part is it is an "expected" payment versus a $800 or so payment right after you book a vacation. I know there are down times, but for AAA specifically, the service (and discounts...HAVE to take advatnage of those) far out-weigh the cost even in the short-term.

IBL 2014:

Roster:

QB - Matthew Stafford, Ryan Tannehill

RB - Reggie Bush, Rashad Jennings, Chris Johnson, Bryce Brown

WR - Julio Jones, Alshon Jeffrey, Larry Fitzgerald, Emmanuel Sanders, Kelvin Benjamin, Danny Amendola, Mike Williams, Rod Streater

TE - Martellus Bennett, Tyler Eifert

DEF - Cincinnati Bengals

K - Stephen Gostkowski

#3 belljr

belljr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,265 posts
  • Joined 15-June 05

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:41 AM

I work an hour from home, and once we had my daughter I signed up for AAA. Don't have 1 bad thing to really say about them. I used them a couple times. One time my SIL was in an accident and we used our AAA for her. Plus the small discounts for hotels, oil changes etc have added up :shrug: There were a few times I could have called to use them but didn't

Edited by belljr, 21 November 2011 - 07:32 AM.

I bow to the awesomeness of :homer:  

#4 Ignoratio Elenchi

Ignoratio Elenchi

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,321 posts
  • Joined 04-October 08

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:06 AM

I have AAA, and have used them for various stuff throughout the years and have always been happy with the service. Check your auto insurance policy, though - a lot of companies now offer roadside assistance as part of your policy, either as a free benefit or as an optional coverage, so it may not make sense to also be paying for AAA. No reason to pay for AAA if your auto policy provides the same kind of service (unless you're also taking advantage of other AAA benefits and discounts).

#5 oso diablo

oso diablo

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,365 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:10 AM

that Allstate club is making a major marketing push right now, trying to make inroads on AAA. Probably a good time to get a deal. I think they're both quality companies.
"This ain't my American Dream
I wanna live & die for bigger things" - switchfoot

#6 Leroy Hoard

Leroy Hoard

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60,517 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:33 AM

AAA
If you need a yard, I'll get you three. If you need five yards, I'll get you three.

#7 Bobcat10

Bobcat10

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,456 posts
  • Joined 02-August 03

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:47 AM

I have AAA, and have used them for various stuff throughout the years and have always been happy with the service. Check your auto insurance policy, though - a lot of companies now offer roadside assistance as part of your policy, either as a free benefit or as an optional coverage, so it may not make sense to also be paying for AAA. No reason to pay for AAA if your auto policy provides the same kind of service (unless you're also taking advantage of other AAA benefits and discounts).

I add roadside assistance on the auto insurance policy. It's $16/yr for '03 Forester and $10/yr for '07 Sonata. Great response time as well when my wife or I has had to use it.
xbl = rodells

#8 ThaPenguin

ThaPenguin

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Joined 05-November 07

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

I add roadside assistance on the auto insurance policy. It's $16/yr for '03 Forester and $10/yr for '07 Sonata. Great response time as well when my wife or I has had to use it.

Wow, that is nice. I will definitely have to check that out through Progressive. We have ours through Verizon. $4/month per line. Used them twice, no problems at all.
“Sure, the lion is king of the jungle....but airdrop him into Antarctica, and he's just a penguin's #####”

#9 Bobcat10

Bobcat10

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,456 posts
  • Joined 02-August 03

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:02 AM

Wow, that is nice. I will definitely have to check that out through Progressive. We have ours through Verizon. $4/month per line. Used them twice, no problems at all.

fwiw I also have Progressive.
xbl = rodells

#10 Colts Win

Colts Win

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 827 posts
  • Joined 14-March 07

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

Doesn't Hyundai give you free road side assistance for 10years 100,000 miles?

#11 gandalas

gandalas

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 19-October 07
  • Interests:Buckeyes, Browns, Cavs

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

The free Roadside assistance only is for the first 5 years (at least it was for my '04 that I bought new). Once that ran out on me, I got AAA. Used Hyundai's program multiple times over those 5 years and had zero complaints. Still have not had to call AAA, but have heard good things from everyone I know that has used it.
Meh.

#12 Bobcat10

Bobcat10

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,456 posts
  • Joined 02-August 03

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:35 PM

The free Roadside assistance only is for the first 5 years (at least it was for my '04 that I bought new). Once that ran out on me, I got AAA. Used Hyundai's program multiple times over those 5 years and had zero complaints. Still have not had to call AAA, but have heard good things from everyone I know that has used it.

I didn't buy the Hyundai new so I didn't know about that. I wonder if it even transfers with ownership. Sometimes those perks don't iirc.
xbl = rodells

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users