Evilgrin 72

Distributor of Pain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34,589 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:Beer.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:42 AM

Moving in a week and a half.. I'm loading the truck myself and driving it to the new place, but the new place is on the second floor. There is an elevator, but it's not big and with a bad back, I don't need to be maneuvering furniture in and out and down the fairly long walk from the elevator to the condo (maybe 30-40 yards or so.) Craigslist has moving help ads all over the place - a 2-man crew for 2 hours with all the dollies, etc runs $90. To me, this seems like a no-brainer to not have to deal with unloading. I wanted to pay 2 guys with a truck to come load the place too, it would have only cost about $100 more than renting the truck and paying the unloading guys but my wife looked at me like a lazy POS, so I agreed on this. I've done 8 moves in the past 15 years and have never used professional help. What's a standard amount to tip these two guys after they're done? I have them for two hours, but doubt it will take more than 60-90 minutes.

As a Browns fan, I love Bill Cowher.  I hope he coaches the Steelers for another 20 years.  They'll never win anything.

Do not #### with Evilgrin. It's like taunting the Happy Fun Ball and does not end well.

EG, you remind me of my favorite comedian, Sam Kinison. God bless you, dude.

"Watching the Baltimore Ravens play football is like watching scum freeze on the eyeballs of a jackass." - Hunter S. Thompson

#2 gianmarco

gianmarco

Footballguy

• RMT Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 16,124 posts
  • Joined 07-June 07

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:47 AM

Moving in a week and a half.. I'm loading the truck myself and driving it to the new place, but the new place is on the second floor. There is an elevator, but it's not big and with a bad back, I don't need to be maneuvering furniture in and out and down the fairly long walk from the elevator to the condo (maybe 30-40 yards or so.) Craigslist has moving help ads all over the place - a 2-man crew for 2 hours with all the dollies, etc runs $90. To me, this seems like a no-brainer to not have to deal with unloading. I wanted to pay 2 guys with a truck to come load the place too, it would have only cost about $100 more than renting the truck and paying the unloading guys but my wife looked at me like a lazy POS, so I agreed on this. I've done 8 moves in the past 15 years and have never used professional help. What's a standard amount to tip these two guys after they're done? I have them for two hours, but doubt it will take more than 60-90 minutes.

If they get it done quickly and do a good job and are helpful, $20 each is what I'd probably do. $90 for that is pretty cheap, so I wouldn't mind springing for their lunch too.

Sorry son, but I don't have to dumb down The Sport just so noobs like you have a chance at keeping up.

I play in a $4,000 entry, Super-WCOFF, triple-reverse, double down, mirror league with a modified PPFDR base 8 scoring system, and we just held our draft in July. For the 2013 season. You think Matt Barkley getting the start in USC is news? I drafted him after studying up on him, after he signed his letter of intent, last year. You think that maybe going with a WR in the first two rounds instead of back-to-back RBs is somehow new thinking in fantasy? Well, do you have the balls to do what I did this year when I didn't take my first RB until the fourth round (Roderick Smith, Harding High School of Indiana)? You've probably never even heard of Martavis Bryant, Kyle Prater, or Darius White, yet not only did I draft them this year to form my future WR core, I've also started referring to them by fantasy board nicknames (Super Mart, KPrater, & DoubleDarius). Hell, guys like you are going to be the poor schmucks who are searching this board five years from now for info on some great RB you just heard of out of the middle of nowhere in Alaska, and the FBG search result box is going to come up with this very post, where I brag about nabbing Isaiah Weeks of the Monroe Catholic Rams at the 25.32/26.01 turn a full two months before he lit up Delta Junction for 193 yards/2 TDs or Ketchikan for 183 rushing yards, 55 rec yards, & 2 TDs. You'll be wondering about his durability and I'll remember a phone call I made back when you were just hearing the name "Knowshon Moreno" for the first time to the kid's doctor in Fairbanks about the sprain he suffered in his left ankle in 2008.

Let me give you a tip, IT = INFO, and there's no "expires by" date on it.

#3 Da Guru

Da Guru

Fair & Balanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28,804 posts
  • Joined 28-June 03

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:52 AM

At least 20-25 each, but give it to them before they start so they are careful.

#4 36th Chamber

36th Chamber

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Joined 13-February 12

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:53 AM

I would drop $25 for each before and after the move.

#5 Jaysus

Jaysus

Good times!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,337 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03
  • Interests:pizza

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:54 AM

Beer and lunch ETA: Have a cooler full of beer and soda for them when they get there and tell them you will order lunch for them. That should be motivation enough for them not to destroy your stuff. If they do a great job, $20 each will be more than appreciated when they are done.

Edited by Jaysus, 20 March 2012 - 05:57 AM.

#6 Black Box

Black Box

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,246 posts
  • Joined 20-April 06

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:16 AM

Beer and lunch

ETA: Have a cooler full of beer and soda for them when they get there and tell them you will order lunch for them. That should be motivation enough for them not to destroy your stuff. If they do a great job, $20 each will be more than appreciated when they are done.

Probably best to withhold the beer until after moving all his stuff around.

#7 culdeus

culdeus

Have good

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36,028 posts
  • Joined 21-August 03
  • Interests:Bottom

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:19 AM

90 for that sounds so cheap I would be worried it was scammers eyeing your stuff for later.

#8 SouthJersey

SouthJersey

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Joined 10-August 05

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:22 AM

$20/man and some water/food. Though the movers I had last summer never ate any of the sandwiches I got...but they did drink lots of the water.

#9 Matthias

Matthias

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,224 posts
  • Joined 21-September 09

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:22 AM

$50
I thought this thread would be bad when I read the topic, but it is actually much worse after reading some of the responses in here. -JoeT

#10 johnnycakes

johnnycakes

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,686 posts
  • Joined 22-May 06
  • Interests:Chinese women

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:23 AM

I wouldn't tip them anything for that.

Don't take this the wrong way, but your life is a trainwreck of epic proportions.

He still holds the :tfp: title but I may be in the top 5.

#11 Rayderr

Rayderr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35,573 posts
  • Joined 30-July 03

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:25 AM

Had 2 movers both loading and unloading when I moved from VA to OH last year (Uhauled it myself). It was also about $100 for 2 hours for 2 of them. Gave the loaders $20 tip as they did a great job making sure everything would fit in the truck. Gave the unloaders $10.

Hello, IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? Uh... okay, well, the button on the side, is it glowing? Yeah, you need to turn it on... uh, the button turns it on... yeah, you do know how a button works don't you?  No, not on clothes.  No, no, there you go, no, there you go. I just heard it come on... no, no, that's the music you heard when it comes on... no, that's the music you hear when... I'm sorry, are you from the past?

#12 Chase Stuart

Chase Stuart

Footballguy

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 27,774 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

I was taught that you don't tip owners. So you tip a waitress because she doesn't own the place. You tip a cab driver because he's got to share his fare. You tip the delivery person. It makes sense to tip a moving person at a company; they only get a fraction of the money you pay, and they're obviously doing the manual labor. But a person on craigslist? That's not a business. He's getting 100% of what you give him, he's not splitting it with anyone. He charges whatever rate he wants to charge. If he does good work, you will refer him, which is more valuable than a tip. If it was a mover at a professional company, I'd probably tip between 10 and 20%, depending on the size of the move (If it cost 1K, I'd probably give about $100. If it cost 200 bucks, I think $40 is appropriate.)
Why Subscribe to Footballguys? Please click here

#13 Notorious T.R.E.

Notorious T.R.E.

Showdown! Administrator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28,490 posts
  • Joined 24-August 04

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:47 AM

I'd buy each of them a car.

#14 Keerock

Keerock

Caveman

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 23,217 posts
  • Joined 29-August 03

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:54 AM

2 Gallons of Beer

I mean, at the end of the day if we all had our eyes tightly shut I doubt we'd notice the difference between a blowj from a dude or a chick...  result will be the same, no?

WetDream is a valued member of the FFA community, and I hope to be fortunate enough to cornhole him some day.

#15 Notorious T.R.E.

Notorious T.R.E.

Showdown! Administrator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28,490 posts
  • Joined 24-August 04

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

I do an original painting of each of them moving my stuff and give it to them.

#16 Major

Major

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,227 posts
  • Joined 01-September 03

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

I do an original painting of each of them moving my stuff and give it to them.

:lmao:

#17 Major

Major

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,227 posts
  • Joined 01-September 03

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

Yeah, this is a very cheap move. They're def not insured so be careful. I'd give them $50 (25 each) if they did a good job.

#18 johnnycakes

johnnycakes

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,686 posts
  • Joined 22-May 06
  • Interests:Chinese women

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

I was taught that you don't tip owners. So you tip a waitress because she doesn't own the place. You tip a cab driver because he's got to share his fare. You tip the delivery person.

It makes sense to tip a moving person at a company; they only get a fraction of the money you pay, and they're obviously doing the manual labor. But a person on craigslist? That's not a business. He's getting 100% of what you give him, he's not splitting it with anyone. He charges whatever rate he wants to charge. If he does good work, you will refer him, which is more valuable than a tip.

If it was a mover at a professional company, I'd probably tip between 10 and 20%, depending on the size of the move (If it cost 1K, I'd probably give about $100. If it cost 200 bucks, I think $40 is appropriate.)

That's not the reason you tip a waitress.

Don't take this the wrong way, but your life is a trainwreck of epic proportions.

He still holds the :tfp: title but I may be in the top 5.

#19 Sweet Love

Sweet Love

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,312 posts
  • Joined 03-September 03
  • Interests:Voodoo women named Phyllis

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:13 AM

I would drop $25 for each before and after the move.

So you would tip over 100% on the original price for a couple of guys who own their side business??

#20 Leroy Hoard

Leroy Hoard

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59,133 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:15 AM

I'd buy each of them a car.

But wait until they are done with the move or they might just drive off with them.
If you need a yard, I'll get you three. If you need five yards, I'll get you three.

#21 ffjunk

ffjunk

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,129 posts
  • Joined 26-August 05

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:17 AM

I just moved last Friday and I asked them. They said $20- per guy was normal.

#22 Flying V

Flying V

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,996 posts
  • Joined 20-June 05

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:20 AM

I wanted to pay 2 guys with a truck to come load the place too, it would have only cost about $100 more than renting the truck and paying the unloading guys but my wife looked at me like a lazy POS, so I agreed on this.

Your wife is going to help you load, right?

Give her the heavy end of everything and you won't see that look the next time.

#23 Exit 1

Exit 1

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,079 posts
  • Joined 03-April 08

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

Some of those guys are big. If you want to tip them, make sure you push really hard.
The demographics of this place don't match up with me. I'm not some guy who married my high school sweetheart. I don't have a boring job with benefits that puts food on the table for my family. I didn't buy a house is some #### hole suburb where my neighbors house is 3 feet from mine. I'm 35 and I look like I'm 25. I'm still in shape, I have a full head of hair unlike most of you. I'm not fat. I don't eat buffalo wings twice a week. I don't own a pair of Zubas. I can and do score chicks that most of you would not have any chance of sleeping with....ever. This isn't shtick. It's my life. It's funny but at the height of my drug use I had beautiful women giving my their numbers. I was asked out constantly. And then most of you get to go home to your wives who havent slept with you in months. She's overweight and unhappy. She complains constantly and you secretly despise her. But you stay and let her boss you around. You're miserable but you're doing it for the children.

#24 Evilgrin 72

Evilgrin 72

Distributor of Pain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34,589 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

I wanted to pay 2 guys with a truck to come load the place too, it would have only cost about $100 more than renting the truck and paying the unloading guys but my wife looked at me like a lazy POS, so I agreed on this.

Your wife is going to help you load, right?

Give her the heavy end of everything and you won't see that look the next time.

She will. She's a f$%^ing machine. Weighs 116 pounds and carries stuff like a man, she's like having an extra guy there. I don't know how she does it, she's not ripped or anything. Must be retard strength. It would explain why she married me.

As a Browns fan, I love Bill Cowher.  I hope he coaches the Steelers for another 20 years.  They'll never win anything.

Do not #### with Evilgrin. It's like taunting the Happy Fun Ball and does not end well.

"Watching the Baltimore Ravens play football is like watching scum freeze on the eyeballs of a jackass." - Hunter S. Thompson

#25 Evilgrin 72

Evilgrin 72

Distributor of Pain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34,589 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

I'm thinking $20 each might be the general consensus here. Unless, of course, they break something, then they're not getting squat. I think some of the ads I saw on Craigslist were insured, not sure if these guys are or not. I should probably look into that a little further.

#26 Zow

Zow

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20,156 posts
  • Joined 15-January 07

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

I think I did 20 bucks a piece and also bought them gatorades. They moved me like 180 miles and didn't break anything so I was very satisfied. I actually asked them after giving them the twenty if that was a common tip and they said it's a good tip (which I took to mean on the higher end of the normal range).

As usual, Woz is right.

I am the center of this place: http://cheezburger.com/View/3356296960

#27 Raider Nation

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70,829 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

:blackdot:

#1 fan of Walt Jr.

#28 Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,082 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

Tipped three guys $60 each. I also lift.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users