What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2013 San Diego Chargers **** (1 Viewer)

Maurile Tremblay

Administrator
Staff member
Last year's offseason thread started out by asking if Norv and AJ would be gone, and then wished for a defensive overhaul.

It took a full season, but we're three for three on those items.

Now what?

Last edited by a moderator:
:blackdot:

How to order the team's needs? I'll take a shot:

1. GM - IMO the #1 problem over the post-Marty period has been the decline of talent on the roster

2. HC

3. OL - cannot overemphasize how poor this unit is, and how its play drags down the rest of the offense

[big gap]

4. CB

5. Pass rush

6. RB

7. WR

8. TE

:blackdot:How to order the team's needs? I'll take a shot:1. GM - IMO the #1 problem over the post-Marty period has been the decline of talent on the roster
Seeing them twice a year (Broncos) and hearing the list of players they've let go of, it's insane how talented that team could have been. I agree this should be the top priority, and HOPEFULLY, they don't go the way of combining the Coach and the GM in one person (read: Holmgren). QB isn't on your list, I presume that's because the O-Line is so bad. Personally, I think Rivers needs to move on, his head is all wrong in that environment now.I think football is MUCH more entertaining when our division is strong, so I hope they get their stuff together quickly.

It's hard to imagine Gaither playing for the Chargers again. I know that cutting him would be a huge cap hit, but there've been newspaper reports (or at least tweets by newspaper reporters) of numerous unnamed teammates being disgusted with his lack of work ethic and dedication.

Maybe a new coaching staff can do something with him, but he just seems like a lost cause right now.
Unfortunately, that seems pretty easy to believe. He's just too big, too talented, and too young to be floating around as a UFA when SD signed him not to have some sort of issues. To me he'd be the perfect guy to have in place to compete with a younger player drafted in the first two rounds to replace him. I just don't think they have the luxury of getting rid of guys that can block... but are lazy. They have so many guys that may work hard for all I know... but can't block.

'Leroy Hoard said:
Always seemed like underachievers to me.
I hear this a lot, but don't understand it. They are an 8-8 team, that finished 7-9. Nothing more, nothing less. If people want to say they were underachievers two years ago because they lost so many games due to special team.... completely agree. They haven't been underachievers to me since then though. The only playoff caliber team that had an OL that bad MIGHT have been one of those PIT teams and that's only because Big Ben is so productive after being hit. I've never seen anything like it. Otherwise, if you have the worst OL in the league you're lucky to play .500 football. The entire offense hinges on it.

:blackdot:How to order the team's needs? I'll take a shot:1. GM - IMO the #1 problem over the post-Marty period has been the decline of talent on the roster2. HC3. OL - cannot overemphasize how poor this unit is, and how its play drags down the rest of the offense[big gap]4. CB5. Pass rush6. RB7. WR8. TE
1. OL - If they don't fix this nothing else matters. Just like at the end of last season.[Grand Canyon Sized Gap]2. GM - Good Point. They have several holes and desperately need to hit on some draft picks. By "hit" I mean they need to draft several guys that have won starting jobs by the end of the year.3. HC - Some people will call it denial but I still find it tough to blame Norv completely for what the offense has become. I don't think any OC could score with that line. At least Rivers didn't have his season end early like I expected. Still, I'd like to see the next guy run more and maximum protect more to take 100% of the burden of winning a game off of Rivers.[big Gap]4. RB - He just isn't a FT RB. You need at least one guy, maybe even two that can compliment him. This has always been the case but was painfully evident this season much to the chagrin of FF owners crying he should get 30 carries a game. Don't waste a high draft pick, or a ton of FA $, but just get a group of guys that compliment each other 4-5 guys deep. Maybe with the regime change in KC they can pick up Hillis cheap. It's easy to forget that M.Lynch was on the scrap heap at one time.5. CB - It's never really been "fixed" and even when the defense has played well over the years it was more because the pass rush was a success than the fact the CB's could cover. I like the pass rushers SD currently has but I'd like to see the talent at CB improve.I disagree with all the talk about receiver. I think the success D.Alexander proves that I was right all along and good WR's can play great in the SD offense. He was more productive as Jackson ever was on a per game basis for a fraction of the price. It would have been stupid to give Jackson all that money but it was just as dumb to give all that $ to Meach/Royal. To think how much better this offense would have been both running and passing if they had simply spent the $ on the OL instead.

Yeah, I'll say it... QB.

Rivers has fallen fast and he looks pathetic more then just sometimes. He has really shown he is just not a great QB, this team only goes as far as he will take them and thats not very.

To think how much better this offense would have been both running and passing if they had simply spent the $ on the OL instead.
This. I maybe the last guy in San Diego who still believes in Rivers, but I still think the guy can win the Super Bowl if the OL is upgraded and they can add a playmaker or two. Rivers has shown that given time, he can turn street free-agent WRs into productive players, so I would not spend another dime on WRs and put ever stinkin' cent of FA money into OL and CB. Will Dee Milner be there at #11? Scouts INC has him at 11th overall. Either Milner or Taylor Lewan (OT - Michigan) would seem to be the logical pick and would start from day 1.Any chance Jammer comes back to play Safety?

Who's the favorite for Coach? Arians? Jay Gruden? Zimmer? Not sure I'm excited about the Billick, Gruden, Cowher big name guys or college coaches.

To think how much better this offense would have been both running and passing if they had simply spent the $ on the OL instead.
This. I maybe the last guy in San Diego who still believes in Rivers, but I still think the guy can win the Super Bowl if the OL is upgraded and they can add a playmaker or two. Rivers has shown that given time, he can turn street free-agent WRs into productive players, so I would not spend another dime on WRs and put ever stinkin' cent of FA money into OL and CB. Will Dee Milner be there at #11? Scouts INC has him at 11th overall. Either Milner or Taylor Lewan (OT - Michigan) would seem to be the logical pick and would start from day 1.Any chance Jammer comes back to play Safety?
You're not the only one who still believes in Rivers. I'm still with you.

I'd still love to see the Chargers grab a Kaepernick type of project in the 2nd or third round this year...
I think that would be a terrible decision. QB is far down the list of problems right now. They need to use their entire draft on OL and CB, as far as I'm concerned.

I'd still love to see the Chargers grab a Kaepernick type of project in the 2nd or third round this year...
I think that would be a terrible decision. QB is far down the list of problems right now. They need to use their entire draft on OL and CB, as far as I'm concerned.
I agree that the Bolts shouldn't spend that high of a pick on a QB with all their other needs, but if we knew the pick would turn out like Kaepernick, I'm all for it.

Who's the favorite for Coach? Arians? Jay Gruden? Zimmer? Not sure I'm excited about the Billick, Gruden, Cowher big name guys or college coaches.
Yeah people who have experience winning Superbowls is not something anyone could get use to in San Diego I guess. :sarcasm:

Rivers is a major problem, Its OK to be a Rivers fan, But to say he is not the problem or part of it is funny.Bad OLine or not, my grandmother can hold on to the football better than him... and his throwing motion is catching up with him too.

I could definitely see Arians coming in. I've seen Tom Telesco from the Colts front office on the list of GM candidates... plus his relationship with Chuck Pagano may have an outside chance to keep Jon Pagano in at DC.

Bottom line our drafts need to actually produce players that will see the field. Last season draft for example was a complete ####### joke. Only our 1st and 2nd rounder even saw the field. Our 3rd through 7th round picks were complete dog#### and didn't even play all year. #### AJ took Troutman who he knew wouldn't play all year in the fifth for ####s and giggles.

Oline needs to be the top priority. If we can't keep Rivers upright we aren't doing ####. Aside from that we have plenty of holes where you just need to get the best available talent and go from there.

Rivers is a major problem, Its OK to be a Rivers fan, But to say he is not the problem or part of it is funny.Bad OLine or not, my grandmother can hold on to the football better than him... and his throwing motion is catching up with him too.
Rivers was elite as recently as 2010. Last season, he slipped, but was still not as bad as the hype. This year he definitely struggled, but he was playing behind the OL ranked dead last by Football Outsiders in pass protection. According to ProFootballFocus, only 2 other QBs were under pressure on a higher percentage of their dropbacks this year, and Rivers led all NFL QBs in throwaways under pressure.The offensive line problems dwarf all other problems on the team. Fix the OL and IMO Rivers will magically become a good QB again. And it wouldn't hurt to upgrade the other offensive players around him... their WRs were subpar until DX showed up late, and I don't know if you can trust his knees long term... they relied heavily on Battle and Ronnie Brown at RB this year... Gates is in decline... yet everyone tends to point to just Rivers as the problem. Yes, he is part of the problem, but, as I said, he is far down the list in terms of priority IMO. :shrug:

Yahoo has this as your #1 pick:

11. San Diego Chargers: Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan, Senior: A better prospect coming out of school than Joe Staley, Fisher could take over at left tackle and help keep Philip Rivers upright for the rest of his career.

I hope OL Matthews drops to 11th pick.

#1 priority is O line followed closely by CB.

I admit..I have been one of those fans that HATE O-line picks..I like the sexy picks...MLB, RB, etc. But the last 3 drafts have been so bad, and the Oline so putrid.....you have to spend first 2 picks on O-line.

Rivers will be fine with time back there. He's an immobile QB, so O-line probs just magnify his problems.

Also....they need new team physician and trainer. They seem to be one of the most injury prone teams I can remember...(or maybe that's just glass shoulder Matthews).

'GordonGekko said:
One thing is clear to me, Rivers offers you no vertical strike capability and whatever of that he could offer is going to decline progressively each season he gets older.
I think you are overstating this. According to PFF, Rivers was the 13th best QB in terms of deep accuracy (targets 20+ yards downfield). Last year, he was 9th best. He definitely wasn't as good this year on deep throws as he was in the past, but as someone who watched most of the Chargers games this year, I think that had quite a bit to do with him being under pressure and often unable to fully step into his deep throws, lack of separation downfield by his receivers, and Rivers feeling like he had to force throws at times because of the general ineffectiveness of the offense.Strengthen the offensive line, and Rivers will improve a lot IMO. And it would help if DX, Brown, and Floyd could all play together and stay healthy.

I agree that the Bolts shouldn't spend that high of a pick on a QB with all their other needs, but if we knew the pick would turn out like Kaepernick, I'm all for it.
I agree with JWB. This isn't the year to go fishing for a new franchise QB. It doesn't match up with the most pressing long term needs of the team given its current roster and this doesn't seem like a good or deep QB draft class anyway. Rivers is good enough to win with for a while yet.The most important thing right now is to find a great GM. Someone who can start stringing good/great drafts together and not make stupid FA decisions (Meachem and Royal, jeebus ####### chrisp). I think they may need to take some short term salary cap hits by releasing some of Smith's obvious mistakes and try and replace those spots with cheap youngsters that could possibly be groomed for depth.In terms of talent acquisition, offensive line is priority 1,2 and 3. Improve there you help out everyone from Rivers to Matthews to the defense. After that a CB would be nice.It's also time to start looking for a new TE.As far as coach I'd rather take a chance on a non-NFL retread. I don't think Arians is the guy. The Colts got lucky with their schedule and the dude is already 60+ years old. I think going with Arians would be buying high.I wouldn't spend anything noteworthy on the WR corps. Keep Alexander, hope Brown can develop and you can keep Floyd on the field, fill in with replacement quality FAs. When the Chargers were winning it wasn't because they were spending big money or draft picks on WR. It was because they were owning the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.But it'll all come down to the right GM hire first. I hope Spanos gets it right. I doubt he will.

But it'll all come down to the right GM hire first. I hope Spanos gets it right. I doubt he will.
They're interviewing Marc Ross, who is pretty well regardedhttp://www.giants101.com/2013/01/03/new-york-giants-marc-ross-to-interview-for-san-diego-chargers-gm-position/

But it'll all come down to the right GM hire first. I hope Spanos gets it right. I doubt he will.
They're interviewing Marc Ross, who is pretty well regardedhttp://www.giants101.com/2013/01/03/new-york-giants-marc-ross-to-interview-for-san-diego-chargers-gm-position/
Yes he's one of 6 candidates so far.
The team has already interviewed Jimmy Raye, its director of player personnel and only in-house candidate for the position...Raye is one of six known candidates for the position.

The other five come from outside the organization. They are, per sources and multiple reports, 49ers Director of Player Personnel Tom Gamble, Giants Director of College Scouting Marc Ross, Colts Vice President of Football Operations Tom Telesco, Falcons Director of Player Personnel David Caldwell, and Cardinals Vice President of Player Personnel Steve Keim.
I like that they brought in Ron Wolf as a consultant on this. Of those, not having any inside info to base a decision on, it seems like Gamble and Ross would be the ones I'd be most interested in considering how well those two teams have done drafting over the last few years. Then Caldwell and maybe Telesco. I have no idea why they'd want anyone from the Cardinals organization, and I'm afraid Raye has learned too much from Smith.

:shrug: I am just worried that something really is wrong with Rivers and I don't want to see this team re-building for the next 2-3 years only to realize something definitely is wrong with Rivers. Then we waste 2-3 years of developing a QB to step up once Rivers in either cut/or forced to be benched. Look at the Packers, they didn't miss a beat once Favre retired.
Securing a good offensive line will never be wasted. Securing a good CB will never be wasted. I think if Rivers can revert to being comfortable in the pocket and confident he can step into his throws, he'll be good enough. Even with clean pockets he wasn't stepping into his throws last year because he was so shell shocked. He's not Aaron Rodgers who can still make plays even though he's getting sacked 50 times a year. Probably Rivers's worst season to date, he ranked 22nd in DYAR and DVOA for QBs. That's bad. Those rankings put him behind guys like Ponder, Dalton, Bradford, Palmer, Flacco and Alex Smith - would you rather have one of those guys as your QB? In 2011 Rivers ranked 7 and 8, in 2010 2 and 3, in 2009 2 and 1. So the trend is down, but is that all his fault? Could some of that be related to him losing virtually all of his weapons and his offensive line being the worst pass protecting line in the league? Of the guys I mentioned above, only Dalton played behind a line in the back half of the league in terms of pass protection, with Cincy's line ranking 28th. If you put a good offensive line in front of Rivers next year and he does the same thing as this year, it's probably time to look for the next guy.I don't really think the Chargers will get lucky and get a franchise QB out of this draft given their position and the talent available. So why swim upstream there when you've got more pressing needs elsewhere? I'll never say never, maybe the new GM can pull a Kapernick or Russell Wilson out of his hat (and is the jury completely in on those guys even?) this year, but the time where this team can afford multiple whiffs with its draft picks is long gone. I'm willing to gamble on Rivers returning to form if it means the team is actually building for the future long term.

Dean Spanos has a couple of dumbells for testicals:

As a result of our evaluation, we have established a new ticket-pricing structure starting in 2013. Ticket prices for two-thirds of the seats (approximately 45,000 seats) in Qualcomm Stadium will remain unchanged or reduced for the sixth-consecutive season. Nearly 10,000 season seats in the View level have been reduced and will now be available for $50 or less per game, including season seats as low as $39 per game.

For prime seats in the Field, sideline Plaza and Press levels – which is where your seats are located, we are adjusting prices to be in line with what NFL fans are paying for prime seats at other stadiums around the country. To determine how you will be impacted by these changes, please look at the seat pricing map below.
$100 increase per seat. Really Dean? After that turd you put on the field, in that turd of a stadium?

Starting to think the Chargers should try to trade down. There is so much depth this draft with top LT's available (there's 5 1st round caliber OT being predicted) and a potential probowl OG in Warmack.

Dean Spanos has a couple of dumbells for testicals:$100 increase per seat. Really Dean? After that turd you put on the field, in that turd of a stadium?
Wow, that is shocking. Especially after he decided to stick with Norv/AJ last season when nearly the entire fan base(including myself, and I've defended the two of them more than anyone) desperately wanted a change. The only reason I can think that a change wasn't made was to save $.Generally, when I hear the annual talk that team A, B, and C are all moving to LA I take it with a grain of salt. We've been hearing the same thing since the raiders left LA and it's in the best interest for most owners to have LA as a bargaining chip with local government. It seems like Spanos is almost trying to alienate the fan base at this point, though.

Starting to think the Chargers should try to trade down. There is so much depth this draft with top LT's available (there's 5 1st round caliber OT being predicted) and a potential probowl OG in Warmack.
Last year, when Ingram fell in their lap, was the first year since 2005(Merriman) that I didn't think they should trade down. Doesn't happen like that often though.

So Monday came and went with the rumors that we would have a GM by then. Guess Gamble coming to town on Tuesday is gonna happen after his talks broke down with the Jets. I really hope we don't let him leave SD without a contract. He's been my top choice all along.

'GordonGekko said:
Is he a capologist type or a talent-evaluator type?
Telesco's background is as a scout. He got his start in the NFL on the personnel side by being friends and college teammates with Chris Polian, Bill's son. And wherever Chris went, Telesco went with him. On the plus side for Telesco, he's seen franchises operate in both ideal and disaster scene type states. He cut his teeth grabbing coffee and pushing the mail cart for the Kelly/Thomas/Reed/Hull/Bennett Bills and was moving up the ranks during the Manning Colt's heyday. And he was there for the fall of the Polians and the once impressive Colts before the reboot. How he survived the Night Of Long Knives when Grigson took over the Colts was that, despite being seen as Chris Polian's Tom Hagen, that Telesco had done a good job of running his department, and that many of the draft failures lay on Chris Polian deviating from the viewpoints of his scouting staff. Normally with a volatile and mercurial guy like Chris Polian, that would be enough to sink a guy's ship as a personnel/scout guy. Excep Telesco had a long long history with the Polians and Chris and was seen as one of the few people who could simply lay it down straight with them when push came to shove. Apparently Chris then pushed Telesco into dealing more with the contract / agents side of existing players and less on the scouting side. One of the ancillary type pluses of working as a high level scout is that you get a lot of ground floor contact with agents. Relationships foster and you begin to build a rapport. A lot of times it's scouts within a franchise who bridge some of the messier blood baths between higher level GMs and some of the more powerful agents in the game. In a bit of strange irony, during the Bill's heyday, AJ Smith was in the front office, serving under the Polians and alongside John Butler, and apparently Smith treated a very young Telesco like pure and utter crap the entire time. Much like he treated a lot of people like crap throughout his entire career. Why you want to single out a low level intern and try to turn him into a latrine when you should be trying to find a way to finally beat the Cowboys, well that just baffles me. Typically when you "clean house" in the NFL, you don't really clean house. You need someone from the old regime around to help decipher the personnel datebase in place and to manage many of the existing relationships player/agent relationships already built. Telesco didn't survive IMHO on his own acumen, he survived because he offered the most transitional utility in one person to Grigson in the change over. I believe this was a strategic move by Grigson, the promotion to VP of the Colts, knowing winning teams get their top personnel poached, to push a guy front and center who will always be loyal to another regime and has no real mobility in Grigson current structure. In my mind, Grigson got a ten dollar bill for a condom he just used and was going to throw out anyway. Will Telesco be a good GM? My personal impression would be no. He will improve the chances of the Bolts finding mid level free agents without an overpay or without the kind of brutal prison yard type shank fest that AJ Smith used to have on a regular basis with the major agencies. ( Something to note about AJ Smith's draft behavior, some of it was in part, derived from wanting to avoid certain players simply because they had certain representation where the bridges had been literally almost burned through with the agents. ) From a personnel side, Telesco offers a much smoother situation with free agents in general. And while a lot of the Colts draft failings late in the Manning run will fall to Chris Polian, it wasn't all Chris Polian. Telesco has ever run his own draft room before. Repeat it, Telesco has never run his own draft room before. One of the roles of GM for any NFL franchise is to help market the team. It's not like the old days where Marv Levy could just grumble and put himself in a film room. From the scouting side, I think you will see much more conservative drafts compared to AJ Smith and generally fewer public entanglements with player and agents. I think for the other aspects of being a GM, the integral networking with other GMs and maneuvering league politics, I don't think Telesco is yet ready, I think both Chris Polian and Telesco had a poor understanding of how much coverage Bill Polian sheltered them from throughout the league to operate. The tipping point IMHO will be special teams coach Brian Polian ( yes , another Polian) of Texas A&M but formerly of David Shaw's staff at Stanford. IMHO, Brian Polian is a middling coach even at the collegiate level, if you see the Bolts hire this kid, anywhere in the organization in the next few years, then you should start to worry. The current linkage will be to Bruce Arians and maybe, deep across, Greg Roman for coach, but I don't think it matters. I don't think Telesco can make this team a contender. Improve them from being a sparring match for the Raiders and lower rung teams, sure, but not a bona fide contender.
wow, look at you, very nice post.

That's some ridiculous speculation and an awful lot of connecting the dots. Where does this inside info come from?

That's some ridiculous speculation and an awful lot of connecting the dots. Where does this inside info come from?
Meh, I thought it was interesting post despite the fact I don't agree with all of his analysis of the situation. I thought he really added to the discussion. We need more posts like that.

Meh, I thought it was interesting post despite the fact I don't agree with all of his analysis of the situation. I thought he really added to the discussion. We need more posts like that.
So it's too much to ask for a bit of actual fact? It's not a lot to ask where the info comes from. Doubt there's many front office executives that troll these boards.

Colts Owner & CEO Jim Irsay:

“Tom Telesco has played a crucial role in our successes since he joined the Colts in 1998. His talent and character also have been apparent to other clubs throughout the league. Despite our efforts to persuade Tom to stay it was only a matter of time before another club snared him to be its general manager. I appreciate everything he has done for the horseshoe and have no doubt he will be successful for years to come. Everyone in the Colts organization wishes Tom nothing but the best.”

Colts General Manager Ryan Grigson:

“I cannot say enough about Tom Telesco and I speak for everyone in this building. Despite him being here for 14 seasons prior to our new regime, Tom bought in from day one and the professionalism he showed on a daily basis never wavered. We developed a strong bond during this special season and I will forever be grateful for having him at my side since Jan. 11th. He was instrumental in our success this year and I couldn’t have asked for a better right hand man. He helped lay our foundation of a new era and was a living example in every area of his duties of the mantra Coach Pagano preached from day one in terms of “Trust, Loyalty & Respect.” I don’t know a finer football man/person than Tom Telesco. He is very deserving of this privilege and the San Diego Chargers are in great hands. On behalf of the entire Colts organization we wish Tom, Larah and his children nothing but the best as they begin this new journey together.”

Former Buccaneers and Colts Head Coach Tony Dungy:

“I had the privilege of working with Tom for seven years in Indianapolis. He is a great football man but also a great person. He understands the game. He knows what good players look like. He is just very adept at identifying them and finding them. More than that I think he understands what makes a good organization. I think he is going to be fantastic for the Chargers. I’m excited for Tom and excited for the Chargers organization.”

Former Bills and Colts General Manager Bill Polian:

“I’m thrilled that Tom has been named the general manager of the Chargers. He is a first-rate executive, a first-rate football man and a first-rate person. I’ve had the pleasure of working with him for over 20 years. I can assure you and assure all Chargers fans that he will do a great job for them.”
Grigson's hidden agenda really paid of apparently.

Norv Turner in demand Thu Jan 10, 09:12 AM Former San Diego Chargers head coach Norv Turner is reportedly on just about every head coaching candidate's list of potential offensive coordinators. 'They all think they can get him and I think some teams are getting worried about that, especially if you're thinking about a defensive guy,' one agent said. 'It's like, 'What happens if you don't get Norv?''

Well at least it wasn't the Cardinals guy. I really hope this doesn't mean Arians will be HC - I just don't think a 60 year old guy who hits the hospital for the 1st playoff game, who has 1 year of HC under his belt for a team who played one of the easiest schedules of all time is the best choice here.I appreciate the Gekko post. I hope it doesn't turn out like he thinks it will, but it was an interesting read and I can't say he's wrong as I know nothing about Telesco or the Colts inner workings. One question I do have - can we expect him to do better than A.J. did overall?I'm cautiously pessimistic about the Chargers' chances right now.

AJ Smith a great GM, until things seemed to go to his head. he let talent leave in droves off the roster while not really replenishing it in recent drafts. too bad, the championship window closed, and that was the most succesful stretch in chargers history, save one lucky season under bobby ross.

AJ Smith a great GM, until things seemed to go to his head.

he let talent leave in droves off the roster while not really replenishing it in recent drafts.

too bad, the championship window closed, and that was the most succesful stretch in chargers history, save one lucky season under bobby ross.
Rivers is 5 years younger than Peyton so I'm not willing to go that far. They still went 7-9 in an extremely disappointing season. If they can fix the OL and Mathews can stay healthy for an entire season I think they still have a shot. I know I'm looking at it through rose-colored glasses but if I couldn't do that I wouldn't be a Chargers fan. :bag:

Well at least it wasn't the Cardinals guy. I really hope this doesn't mean Arians will be HC - I just don't think a 60 year old guy who hits the hospital for the 1st playoff game, who has 1 year of HC under his belt for a team who played one of the easiest schedules of all time is the best choice here.I appreciate the Gekko post. I hope it doesn't turn out like he thinks it will, but it was an interesting read and I can't say he's wrong as I know nothing about Telesco or the Colts inner workings. One question I do have - can we expect him to do better than A.J. did overall?I'm cautiously pessimistic about the Chargers' chances right now.
Two reasons for optimism about Telesco:- he's a good talent evalutor- hasn't pissed off the entire leagueI only hope we don't end up regretting picking him over Marc Ross.

Rivers is 5 years younger than Peyton so I'm not willing to go that far. They still went 7-9 in an extremely disappointing season.
Yes, they went 7-9, but they had a roster with enough talent to go 11-5 without any miracles. The loss to the Saints was kind of silly, and the losses to the Broncos (24-0), Browns (Meachem), and Ravens (4th & 29) were just ridiculous.Even with the cursed offensive line (McNeill, Dielman, Gaither), the 2012 Chargers should have been a playoff-caliber team.There will be a lot of turnover between now and the 2013 season, which isn't entirely a bad thing. But if the Chargers can repair the offensive line without taking any major hits elsewhere, I don't see why they can't be in the mix with Denver for the AFC West title next year. I don't think the window has closed.

While I think it's silly that people throw out lines like "sparring partners with the raiders" I also think it's a bit too optimistic to say they "just" need to improve their OL. They need 4 new starting OLmen. Even then they have no depth on the OL. Realistically they need 6 new OLmen total. Most of the guys that started games for them last year probably shouldn't make the roster of a team with a good OL. That's a huge undertaking by itself in an offseason and even that ignores the fact that there are issues at RB and CB that need to be resolved. There is a big difference between simply improving an OL and rebuilding one from the ground up.

While I think it's silly that people throw out lines like "sparring partners with the raiders" I also think it's a bit too optimistic to say they "just" need to improve their OL. They need 4 new starting OLmen. Even then they have no depth on the OL. Realistically they need 6 new OLmen total. Most of the guys that started games for them last year probably shouldn't make the roster of a team with a good OL. That's a huge undertaking by itself in an offseason and even that ignores the fact that there are issues at RB and CB that need to be resolved. There is a big difference between simply improving an OL and rebuilding one from the ground up.
It's huge challenge but they have $40M+ to throw around. The big question is whether they'll spend it.

It's huge challenge but they have $40M+ to throw around. The big question is whether they'll spend it.
I figure they're going to be taking some empty dollar cap hits when Meachem and Royal hit the streets. Do they have an out with Gaither or is that going to be another empty dollar cap hit?

Users who are viewing this thread