#1 Insein

Insein

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,364 posts
  • Joined 13-July 10

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

A new era. Breath of fresh air either way. Lets get this thing going now. http://espn.go.com/n...-eagles-sources

Edited by Insein, 29 December 2013 - 08:27 PM.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." - Neil Young

"Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them." - Obiwan Kenobi

"The cake is a lie." - Unknown Aperture Science Test Subject

And BTW..thanks to Insein...I am going to come to this thread as often as possible and cockpunch this show.

#2 Amused to Death

Amused to Death

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Joined 13-August 09

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

:thumbup: Let the next chapter begin.

"I put the Eagles offense as one of my bottom five. Why did I do it? Not that they are one of the worst five units in the NFL. It's because, 'It's going to be one of the fastest units we've ever seen. What are you going to do to stop it? . . . It's going to be unbelievable.' How is that working out? Is it just the most unbelievable thing you've ever seen?"
- Phil Simms, Oct. 24

"You're a temporary arrangement of matter sliding toward oblivion in a cold, uncaring universe" - Dogbert

#3 Polish Hammer

Polish Hammer

made of glass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,672 posts
  • Joined 02-July 04

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

I'm in. Very intrigued to see what this team will look like with Chip Kelly at the helm.
"Life moves pretty fast....if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it."
-Ferris Bueller

#4 Deranged Hermit

Deranged Hermit

Not cool & Pissed

• Street Team
  • Pip
  • 4,588 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

I'm in. Very intrigued to see what this team will look like with Chip Kelly at the helm.

:goodposting:
Cartman: Before the last Super Bowl, Bill Belichick told his team, "Let's win this one for real, let's not cheat!".
Student: What happened?
Cartman: They lost........

#5 Wooderson

Wooderson

Fight The Power

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,439 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!

#6 Mr. Irrelevant

Mr. Irrelevant

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 906 posts
  • Joined 22-September 12

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

Very intrigued to see what this team will look like with Chip Kelly at the helm.

I think I can safely say that they will never punt from their own 40, down by 3, with less than 2:00 to go. Especially not in a playoff game. :wall: For that reason alone, I'm optimistic.

I've come to despise her so much that I can no longer objectively judge her physical appearance. I'd like to smash her across the face with a shovel.

#7 renesauz

renesauz

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12,478 posts
  • Joined 13-August 05
  • Interests:Rule #1 in my house: The TV belongs to everybody else UNLESS NFL Football or the World Cup Soccer is on..then it's mine, period.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

:excited: :excited: :excited: :popcorn:
2007 BDSL Champ

#8 Jason Wood

Jason Wood

Zoo York

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 8,382,915 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

Great article about Kelly's influence on the Patriots (record-breaking) offensive system:http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/10/08/patriots-huddle-relies-power-one/nHTapuVnBOwfFlffwTrN6J/story.html

#9 Bigboy10182000

Bigboy10182000

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,390 posts
  • Joined 10-September 09

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

@JayGlazer: I'm told after Brian Kelly flirtation Eagles and Chip re-started talks but never got serious until last 24 hours@JordanRaanan: As I said from beginning, Chip Kelly was #Eagles' No. 1 or 1a choice. Also, don't necessarily see him needing running QB as most suggest.@willbrinson: Chip Kelly on Nick Foles in 2011: "Hell of a football player. That kid’s a warrior. He’s as good as anyone in the country.”@SheilKapadia: Here's the story from @GregABedard about Kelly's influence on the Patriots' offense: http://t.co/ThQyskTc

#10 Juxtatarot

Juxtatarot

Infidel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,133 posts
  • Joined 17-January 04

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

Two questions seem paramount:What happens on defense?Who's the QB?

#11 delusional

delusional

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,752 posts
  • Joined 23-August 03

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Ok so what experienced NFL coach do they bring in to be DC?
Andy Reid coaches like he's won three Super Bowls. And we, the media, talk about him like he's won four. - Jason Whitlock

#12 Bigboy10182000

Bigboy10182000

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,390 posts
  • Joined 10-September 09

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Ok so what experienced NFL coach do they bring in to be DC?

PUHLEASE BE LOVIE!

#13 Insein

Insein

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,364 posts
  • Joined 13-July 10

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Two questions seem paramount:What happens on defense?Who's the QB?

Some kind of autonomous Defensive coordinator and Nick Foles for this year at least.
"It's better to burn out than to fade away." - Neil Young

"Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them." - Obiwan Kenobi

"The cake is a lie." - Unknown Aperture Science Test Subject

And BTW..thanks to Insein...I am going to come to this thread as often as possible and cockpunch this show.

#14 delusional

delusional

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,752 posts
  • Joined 23-August 03

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

I need a nap
Andy Reid coaches like he's won three Super Bowls. And we, the media, talk about him like he's won four. - Jason Whitlock

#15 Bigboy10182000

Bigboy10182000

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,390 posts
  • Joined 10-September 09

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

Here's Chip Kelly on his offense in the NFL: “There's a lot of ways to play football. Trends go one way and the other. … If you weren't in the room with Amos Alonzo Stagg and Knute Rockne when they invented this game, you stole it from somebody else. “Any coach is going to learn from other people and see how they can implement it in their system. Anything you do has to be personnel driven. You have to adapt to the personnel you have. There's a lot of great offenses out there, but does it fit with the personnel you have? The key is making sure what you're doing is giving your people a chance to be successful.”

@espn_macmahon: RT @LanLocker: Chip Kelly's offense averaged 601 yards and 50 points per game against Monte Kiffin's Tampa 2 defense. (2-1 record)

@AlbertBreer: Big thing on Chip Kelly -- NFL's pursuit of him isn't about offensive scheme, it's about his ability to innovate, adapt and build a program.

Getting to know Chip Kelly

@JasonLaCanfora: Eagles and Kelly could not get together last time due to issues of power. Will be interesting to see if Kelly has final say in personnel

#16 Please See Mine

Please See Mine

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,578 posts
  • Joined 26-September 05
  • Interests:play chess... screw...

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

Guess those sanctions really started to weigh on him . . .I'm excited.
Play hard to get, wanna flirt wit me?
I ain't workin' for no ###, I'll jerk off for free

Unnecessary quotation marks blog

#17 Bigboy10182000

Bigboy10182000

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,390 posts
  • Joined 10-September 09

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

Another good readhttp://www.footballperspective.com/chip-kelly-is-as-likely-to-be-the-next-great-coach-as-anyone-else/

#18 CYP

CYP

Champion Truth Teller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,637 posts
  • Joined 12-August 04

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

It should be interesting. I am hoping he can get a proven DC on board. Lovie Smith would be great.

xbl XboxOne: CYPcantAim

#19 Jason Wood

Jason Wood

Zoo York

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 8,382,915 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

Potential defensive coordinator hires:Rob Ryan -- NOT AT ALL my choice, but he's not yet official in STL and would probably love a chance to stick it to the BoysLovie Smith -- The dream choice, but I doubt he'll take a DC job but instead sit out a year and do media until next year's HC optionsRay Horton -- If he doesn't get Cardinals HC job (and it appears he won't), I would love to have his aggressive style in PhillyTodd Grantham -- Eagles have already identified him as a possibility if we hired Bradley, so we have to keep him in mindI'm sure there are a ton of capable defensive assistants out there, just not sure how plugged in Chip Kelly would be with those guys.

#20 Awful Waffle

Awful Waffle

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 985 posts
  • Joined 17-November 11

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

I'll just post it here too, from Ian Rapoport a few minutes ago:Names to watch for #Eagles DC: UGA's Todd Grantham, UF's Dan Quinn. Both schooled in stopping spread offenses, both with NFL experienceIf they took Grantham, could make Jarvis Jones an interesting pick at #4 if he's there.

#21 skillz

skillz

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,957 posts
  • Joined 27-April 03

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

Wonder if this means Vick has a chance of returning now as the QB to run Kelly's style of offense.

I want to admit that this thread is all about me me me, and I am being as narcissistic as I could possibly be.

It's timschochet, this is just what he does. He thinks his opinion is more important than others (though he would never admit this) so instead of continuing the conversation in the other thread he starts his own.

If you're misinformed on a subject, avoid posting. Please.

#22 Bigboy10182000

Bigboy10182000

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,390 posts
  • Joined 10-September 09

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

Potential defensive coordinator hires:

Rob Ryan -- NOT AT ALL my choice, but he's not yet official in STL and would probably love a chance to stick it to the Boys
Lovie Smith -- The dream choice, but I doubt he'll take a DC job but instead sit out a year and do media until next year's HC options
Ray Horton -- If he doesn't get Cardinals HC job (and it appears he won't), I would love to have his aggressive style in Philly
Todd Grantham -- Eagles have already identified him as a possibility if we hired Bradley, so we have to keep him in mind

I'm sure there are a ton of capable defensive assistants out there, just not sure how plugged in Chip Kelly would be with those guys.

I'm OK with Chip but I do NOT want an entire college staff if possible.

#23 Bigboy10182000

Bigboy10182000

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,390 posts
  • Joined 10-September 09

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Another good readhttp://www.footballperspective.com/chip-kelly-is-as-likely-to-be-the-next-great-coach-as-anyone-else/

This was REALLY GOOD

#24 Jason Wood

Jason Wood

Zoo York

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 8,382,915 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Wonder if this means Vick has a chance of returning now as the QB to run Kelly's style of offense.

I think it's important to remember that Kelly doesn't believe he has to have a mobile QB to succeed. If you look at the impact his scheme had in New England, it's a perfect illustration of that point.In any event, it certainly raises the likelihood he could stay. I gave Vick a 0% chance of staying before the Kelly hire. Still below 50% though.

#25 Awful Waffle

Awful Waffle

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 985 posts
  • Joined 17-November 11

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Rob Ryan -- NOT AT ALL my choice, but he's not yet official in STL and would probably love a chance to stick it to the Boys
Lovie Smith -- The dream choice, but I doubt he'll take a DC job but instead sit out a year and do media until next year's HC options
Ray Horton -- If he doesn't get Cardinals HC job (and it appears he won't), I would love to have his aggressive style in Philly
Todd Grantham -- Eagles have already identified him as a possibility if we hired Bradley, so we have to keep him in mind

I'm sure there are a ton of capable defensive assistants out there, just not sure how plugged in Chip Kelly would be with those guys.

I agree, but Grantham was an NFL coach.

1999-2001 (Colts DL coach)
2002-2004 (Texans DL coach)
2005-2007 (Browns DC)
2008-2009 (Cowboys DL coach)

#26 Skeletore Eh

Skeletore Eh

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,158 posts
  • Joined 29-March 10

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

Fwiw, Ian rappaport was just on nfl network saying he expects lovie to take a year off and get his name back into the head coaching mix and that he doesn't have any interest in being a coordinator.

Champagne Classic
QB - Brees, RG3
RB - Spiller, Gio, Ball, MJD, Lamar Miller
WR - AJ, Julio, Demaryius, Harvin, Evans, Stills
TE - Graham, Reed

#27 Bigboy10182000

Bigboy10182000

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,390 posts
  • Joined 10-September 09

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

2005-2007 (Browns DC)

Then I stand corrected. I never knew that and wouldnt mind him since he has some experiance.

#28 Nucker101

Nucker101

Footballguy

• FBG Apps Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 2,922 posts
  • Joined 23-July 11

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

Was totally shocked when I saw Brandon Graham's tweet. I'm a little sceptical but very excited! Lovie Smith as DC would be amazing, ditto with Ray Horton.

#29 Awful Waffle

Awful Waffle

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 985 posts
  • Joined 17-November 11

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Was totally shocked when I saw Brandon Graham's tweet. I'm a little sceptical but very excited! Lovie Smith as DC would be amazing, ditto with Ray Horton.

Rapoport on NFL Network said Lovie will likely take a year off and doesn't want to be a DC.

#30 shader

shader

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,818 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

First thing Eagles have to fix is the Oline. I don't care who plays QB and who calls the plays, that has to be fixed!Either way, it's got to be exciting for Eagles' fans right now! Congrats guys. I might adopt the Eagles into my "top 5" favs just to watch the fun.If Chip Kelly can adjust to the NFL, you have to imagine he's salivating over the prospect of Maclin, Jackson, McCoy and Bryce Brown. Getting those guys into position to make plays is paramount. Kelly also knows how to run the ball, something that has been missing in Philly for a long time.

#31 Nucker101

Nucker101

Footballguy

• FBG Apps Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 2,922 posts
  • Joined 23-July 11

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Agreed. Looks like Lovie is out of the equation, but that's not surprising. I wasn't as excited about Gus Bradley as most were, I think Kelly could be a great hire after reading some stuff about his influence at the NFL level.

#32 mad sweeney

mad sweeney

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 21,278 posts
  • Joined 15-July 04

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

:lmao:

#33 vinwinephans

vinwinephans

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 872 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

So, with a coach named Kelly, do we go retro on the uniform color to help usher in the new era?

#34 Bigboy10182000

Bigboy10182000

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,390 posts
  • Joined 10-September 09

@willbrinson: Chip Kelly on Nick Foles in 2011: "Hell of a football player. That kid’s a warrior. He’s as good as anyone in the country.”

#35 Nucker101

Nucker101

Footballguy

• FBG Apps Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 2,922 posts
  • Joined 23-July 11

Rapoport on NFL Network said Lovie will likely take a year off and doesn't want to be a DC.

I don't blame him at all, he deserves to be a HC IMO.

#36 Skeletore Eh

Skeletore Eh

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,158 posts
  • Joined 29-March 10

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

Hearing about the Florida defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, who I know next to nothing about

Champagne Classic
QB - Brees, RG3
RB - Spiller, Gio, Ball, MJD, Lamar Miller
WR - AJ, Julio, Demaryius, Harvin, Evans, Stills
TE - Graham, Reed

#37 Bigboy10182000

Bigboy10182000

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,390 posts
  • Joined 10-September 09

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

2005-2007 (Browns DC)

An apparently he runs a 3-4 so I like him even more now :excited:

#38 CYP

CYP

Champion Truth Teller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,637 posts
  • Joined 12-August 04

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

First thing Eagles have to fix is the Oline. I don't care who plays QB and who calls the plays, that has to be fixed!Either way, it's got to be exciting for Eagles' fans right now! Congrats guys. I might adopt the Eagles into my "top 5" favs just to watch the fun.If Chip Kelly can adjust to the NFL, you have to imagine he's salivating over the prospect of Maclin, Jackson, McCoy and Bryce Brown. Getting those guys into position to make plays is paramount. Kelly also knows how to run the ball, something that has been missing in Philly for a long time.

O-Line is nearly a automatic fix next year when players are back from injuries. Question is it the type of O-Line Kelly needs for the offense. I have no clue.

xbl XboxOne: CYPcantAim

#39 Bigboy10182000

Bigboy10182000

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,390 posts
  • Joined 10-September 09

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

@MoveTheSticks: RT @jimdunaway: Chip Kelly' top target as DC at Eagles could be Georgia's Todd Grantham per @MattLombardo975 > I've heard 3-4 switch likely@MoveTheSticks: RT @tgilb2007: do the Eagles really have the D players for a 3-4 though? > Graham @ Curry could play OLB. Cox could easily play 5 tech

Edited by Bigboy10182000, 16 January 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#40 Bigboy10182000

Bigboy10182000

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,390 posts
  • Joined 10-September 09

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

More on Chip's comments about Foles:http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildcatreport/2011/09/25/oregon-coach-chip-kelly-on-nick-foles-i-watch-in-awe-sometimes/

#41 Nucker101

Nucker101

Footballguy

• FBG Apps Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 2,922 posts
  • Joined 23-July 11

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

2005-2007 (Browns DC)

And Grantham's defense has had success against spread offenses, correct?

#42 Bigboy10182000

Bigboy10182000

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,390 posts
  • Joined 10-September 09

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

@RapSheet: When did #Eagles know they got Chip Kelly? Around 10 a.m. How did they get it done? Two words from Eagles source: Howie Roseman.

@RapSheet: Heard the same. Kelly has never asked for that. RT @Jeff_McLane: To repeat what I was told weeks ago, Kelly didnt want full authority.

@RapSheet: What method did Howie Roseman use? Recruiting 101, per source. Push, push, pull away, give them time to think… push again. #Fundamentals

**Howie is the man now lol

Edited by Bigboy10182000, 16 January 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#43 jsharlan

jsharlan

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,297 posts
  • Joined 22-July 09

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Any ideas on what this scheme would mean for each of the skill players?

#44 sporthenry

sporthenry

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,017 posts
  • Joined 14-September 12

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Any ideas on what this scheme would mean for each of the skill players?

Well nobody knows how much of the scheme will be picked up but McCoy should be bumped up. I'm not sure how far he fell but his value should be higher with Chip and even Bryce Brown should have value b/c Chip has shown an ability to use 2 RBs.

#45 Billy Bats

Billy Bats

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12,588 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Eagles 2013-14 Super Bowl odds went from 30/1 to 22/1 today. :excited: :)
Pittsburgh Tankers, what a proud franchise: "We got to the point, if we won one more game or two, Mario Lemeiux would've been in New Jersey. That's how close we were." The plan was hatched over a midseason lunch between him and E.J. "We didn't actually try to throw games. But, you know, we went in there with the understanding ... we weren't going to be upset if we lost." The old coach admits it all now. They tanked it.

#46 Deamon

Deamon

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,970 posts
  • Joined 27-July 10

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Lovie isn't going to be our D coord after being turned down and having to work under a young college coach after being a hc for so many years. I am indifferent on the Kelly signing... woulda been happy with Gus or Chip. But I think the biggest thing is our D-Coordinator. Everyone on here was jacked about going back to dominant defenses and we still need that. The O-coord is obviously not that important, but we need a d-coord with nfl experience. If we get Horton I'd be doing backflips. That's what will make our team.

#47 Awful Waffle

Awful Waffle

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 985 posts
  • Joined 17-November 11

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

2005-2007 (Browns DC)

An apparently he runs a 3-4 so I like him even more now :excited:

And he knows Jarvis Jones pretty well. So he COULD be in play at #4 if he's there.

#48 Wooderson

Wooderson

Fight The Power

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,439 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

Has a press conference time been announced ?

#49 bizwan65

bizwan65

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 06-March 04

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

I heard tomorrow at 1:30pm on WIP radio.

#50 jasvic

jasvic

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts
  • Joined 08-August 03

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

I hope everyone learned from this coaching search not to trust a damn thing the media puts out there, since none of them know what's going on. Random sources and tweets aren't news.I'm very excited and optimistic about this hire. As for his system and the right players for it, it's my understanding both are fallacies. He won't plug and play his Oregon playbook to the Eagles and force the players to fit into it. That was Andy's style. I think Kelly will adjust to the player's strengths. My only concern now is who runs the defense? That decision can make or break this team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users