What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Housing While Black (1 Viewer)

I'm a little surprised that the President's comments didn't touch off riots in some urban communities. He basically gave minorities carte blanche to do so.

First off, I have little doubt I would get a timeout.

Secondly, if the dude was being a jerk about the situation, I can understand a cop abusing his power to bring the guy down to the station, But where does abuse of power = racism?

The guy was brought in for acting an idiot in front of a cop. A bunch of people of all races get brought in for this same thing.

Charges were dropped, so I really don't understand what the big deal is...This guy lost a couple hours of hours of his life for being a ####. Sounds like a fair trade off.

Umm I think the point is that once you say "yo mamma" to a police officer, you are going to spend a little time thinking that over at the station...
Because saying "yo mama" is illegal, or for some other reason? If the latter, what is the other reason?
seems to be disorderly conduct
No, it's not.
I don't know the disorder conduct laws but it seems, to me, safe to assume that a younger, poorer person that behaved the way the professor allegedly acted towards a cop could reasonably expected to wear a pair of cuffs and be taken down to the station to cool down. It's not a nationwide news story. Hell, in a college town, it's just a thursday night.
Sure. But not because behaving that way is illegal.

I think most people here would agree that the main reason he was arrested was for being a doosh to the cop in front of a crowd and the officer's peers. When you disobey a police officer and then top it off by disrespecting him loudly in front of a gathering crowd, you should expect shoddy treatment. And if the officer is threatening to arrest you while you are doing this, it is safe to assume that he will follow thru on his threat.
Exactly.When you are a doosh to most people, you can expect them to be a doosh back to you, although probably non-violently.

If you are a doosh to a thug or to certain cops (but not all cops), you can be expected to have force used against you -- unlawfully.

That means it's particularly stupid to be a doosh to a thug or a cop. But it doesn't mean that the thug or the cop should be free from criticism.

Obama definately overplayed this one. Talk about letting a situation get out of hand, he just left the barnyard door wide open. Unfortunately what Obama did was insinuate the race card even further, that was not necesary, this incident should have never even been mentioned last night, it didn't warrant it.

That being said, the cop overplayed it too. There was absolutely no reason to take Gates down to the station. He may not be a racist but he's not that smart. That was a blatantly stupid thing to do. Its okay for a cop to back off from a situation, he doesn't need to overreach, he did here.

Lastly I am sure Gates was pissing the guy off. No doubt of that. Why he wasn't satisfied that a cop was coming to investigate a potential burglary in his house makes little sense.

Looks like all parties should be apologizing right now and soon. This should not be a national story but it is. Everyone involved overreacted.

Secondly, if the dude was being a jerk about the situation, I can understand a cop abusing his power to bring the guy down to the station, But where does abuse of power = racism?
You tell me. Between the two of us, you're the one who brought up racism.
This guy lost a couple hours of hours of his life for being a ####. Sounds like a fair trade off.
Sounds fair to me as well. But it's not the cop's job to dole out fair punishment (or any kind of punishment). It's the cop's job to enforce the law.

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm I think the point is that once you say "yo mamma" to a police officer, you are going to spend a little time thinking that over at the station...
Because saying "yo mama" is illegal, or for some other reason? If the latter, what is the other reason?
seems to be disorderly conduct
No, it's not.
I'm curious if your answer would be the same had this not been a Harvard professor and had this not been in a quiet neighborhood.Let's instead move it to a high rise in Cabrini Green, Chicago. Say two white cops had been called to investigate a report of an intruder on the sixth floor of the high rise. They go to the door and knock. They hear someone inside and order the person out. Everything happens exactly the same. Including alleging racial bias on the part of the cops in a loud voice. But, instead of the cops being in the front yard with a few passers-by on the street overhearing the rant, we have two cops in a hallway with people coming out of their apartments. People who presumably share the same beliefs about cops as Mr. Gates.Cops have been killed in those high rises. Would the cops have been wrong to arrest the man under those circumstances?

Abuse of power should not be taken lightly. I know that police have a stressful job but I really want to know that they are capable of making good judgement calls too. You can't defend the cop here either. This is exactly the kind of BS that you want a cop to be smart enough to back away but too many would make this same decision every time. This does not make the police look good either and I do think the Cambridge police should at least be addressing that much.

I wonder how opinions would change on both sides if we had video of this encounter.
We probably would have been jealous at the swanky free house Dr. Gates gets from Hahvahd.
I'll bet you one dollar that if we took the professor out of his swanky house and put him through police academy training, that he'd make an unlawful arrest within 6 months.
Double or nothing says it would be of a white man.

This guy lost a couple hours of hours of his life for being a ####. Sounds like a fair trade off.
Sounds fair to me as well. But it's not the cop's job to dole out fair punishment (or any kind of punishment). It's the cop's job to enforce the law.
Isn't that what this is all about? I won't deny the cop overstepped his bounds, but at the same time this is a major news story due to the race angle.If you're trying to argue that cops overstep from time to time, you probably won't get much argument. Is that the main point you are trying to hammer home here?

I wonder how opinions would change on both sides if we had video of this encounter.
We probably would have been jealous at the swanky free house Dr. Gates gets from Hahvahd.
I'll bet you one dollar that if we took the professor out of his swanky house and put him through police academy training, that he'd make an unlawful arrest within 6 months.
Great, the Professor would not make a good cop either. Really not the point. For everyone's sake Im glad the Professor is not a cop and if more people that shouldn't be cops were not cops, the police would get a lot more respect.

If you're trying to argue that cops overstep from time to time, you probably won't get much argument. Is that the main point you are trying to hammer home here?
It's a legit point. You've got enough people here saying the Professor was out of line (and he was) but let's give some equal time to the police.

Abuse of power should not be taken lightly. I know that police have a stressful job but I really want to know that they are capable of making good judgement calls too. You can't defend the cop here either. This is exactly the kind of BS that you want a cop to be smart enough to back away but too many would make this same decision every time. This does not make the police look good either and I do think the Cambridge police should at least be addressing that much.
is it good for the local police force to be verbally berated in front of the community they are supposed to protect?

If you're trying to argue that cops overstep from time to time, you probably won't get much argument. Is that the main point you are trying to hammer home here?
It's a legit point. You've got enough people here saying the Professor was out of line (and he was) but let's give some equal time to the police.
They probably both could have handled the situation better. However when I read that this cop is well respected and teaches a class on racial profiling, and at the same time the professor has made a deal to make money off this situation...I tend to think one had a reason to make this situation a bigger deal than what was warrented.

is it good for the local police force to be verbally berated in front of the community they are supposed to protect?
Not good at all but he still has to walk away. There are many different ways the cop could have handled this without arresting the guy. A good police should know when flexing the muscle is warranted and when it is not, and should be smart enough to diffuse the situation another way.

Not good at all but he still has to walk away. There are many different ways the cop could have handled this without arresting the guy. A good police should know when flexing the muscle is warranted and when it is not, and should be smart enough to diffuse the situation another way.
And yet if this dude was white, no one would care...So do you propose that cops should enter situations in a more sensitive manner if the suspect is a minority?

Isn't that what this is all about? I won't deny the cop overstepped his bounds, but at the same time this is a major news story due to the race angle.If you're trying to argue that cops overstep from time to time, you probably won't get much argument. Is that the main point you are trying to hammer home here?
I've never mentioned the race angle; I don't think it's worth discussing. It's just mind-reading. Without any evidence that the cop is a racist (and I haven't seen any), I'll happily give him the benefit of the doubt. So, no, to me, this has nothing to do with racism.To me, this is about a cop making an improper arrest just because he has the power to do so. If Gates calls me a bunch of names, I can't cuff him. Or I guess I could cuff him, but I wouldn't get away with it. The cop can get away with it, which is why he did it. That's an abuse of power.

It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's worth pointing out when it happens.

Let's instead move it to a high rise in Cabrini Green, Chicago. Say two white cops had been called to investigate a report of an intruder on the sixth floor of the high rise. They go to the door and knock. They hear someone inside and order the person out. Everything happens exactly the same. Including alleging racial bias on the part of the cops in a loud voice. But, instead of the cops being in the front yard with a few passers-by on the street overhearing the rant, we have two cops in a hallway with people coming out of their apartments. People who presumably share the same beliefs about cops as Mr. Gates.Cops have been killed in those high rises. Would the cops have been wrong to arrest the man under those circumstances?
It depends on whether he's yelling stuff that's calculated to provoke violence.In the Gates case, that didn't seem to be a realistic concern. Also, there was no report that any of the bystanders were disturbed or upset by Gates' ranting. It appears that nobody made a complaint.The only person the rant seemed to agitate was the cop. That's not disorderly conduct (especially since cops aren't supposed to be agitated as easily as civilians).

The arrest was borderline, but I don't think I'd call it an abuse of power, if this happened as the cop says it did (which may not be the case).With what cops go through, if a guy is following him as he's trying to leave, being verbally abusive, and will not stop with repeated, respectful warnings of getting cuffed, I've got no problem with the cop cuffing him just to get the situation back under control. It sounds like Gates wasn't going to let this situation end until it came to this.If this didn't happen the way the cop described, you could say the cop was out of order or abused his power.If it did, hard to fault the cop too much.

I've never mentioned the race angle; I don't think it's worth discussing. It's just mind-reading. Without any evidence that the cop is a racist (and I haven't seen any), I'll happily give him the benefit of the doubt. So, no, to me, this has nothing to do with racism.To me, this is about a cop making an improper arrest just because he has the power to do so. If Gates calls me a bunch of names, I can't cuff him. Or I guess I could cuff him, but I wouldn't get away from it. The cop can get away with it, which is why he did it. That's an abuse of power.

It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's worth pointing out when it happens.
I get what your saying, but in reality, the police have to draw the line somewhere. There is a proper and inproper way to act in front of a police officer. This Officer decided that "yo mamma" crossed the line. I can't blame him for that. Are you under the impression that as long as its verbal its ok?

And yet if this dude was white, no one would care...
If the dude was white, with a white chauffeur, wearing a sport coat and a limo parked out front, I'm guessing this would have gone down differently.

Maurile Tremblay said:
Being belligerent is not illegal.

I'm not saying that he's factually innocent of disorderly conduct because the chargers were dropped. I'm saying he's factually innocent because he didn't do anything that even arguably amounted to criminal conduct under MA law. (Which is why the charges were dropped.)
You talking in circles here. In your opinion what he did was not disorderly. In quite a number of other individuals (including the police on hand) opinions, he was disorderly. I think I'll side with the police's opinion on this because a). they were there and neither you or I were & b). this is what they do day in and day out.
I don't think the bolded part is true. I think the police all knew that Gates was innocent of criminally disorderly conduct.
'You are going to pay for this' is not inciteful or a physical threat?
No, of course it isn't.
What would any reasonable individual believe a man who was handcuffed shouting that phrase would mean?
That he'd issue a negative press release, or possibly file a civil suit.
You are trying to fight an argument from a "letter of the law" point of view and not seeing the application of law.I lived in Massachusetts for 39 years. I was arrested twice for disorderly conduct in my early 20's.

The first time I was having a keg party at my parents house. About 200 people. It got broken up by the Police. The Police said everyone needed to leave even though I said 5 of my friends were staying over. I was out on the front lawn #####ing at the Sargent in charge that he was just making my friends leave so they could try and pick them up for DUI down the road. I kept chirping that it was a really great move to send people that have been drinking home in their cars. The Sargent said "keep it up". Well I did and he eventually told me he had had enough and slapped the cuffs on me. I was being a ####. He arrested me for disorderly conduct. Its basically a $150 fine. The Police arrest people for disorderly conduct basically to shut them up because they have had enough.

The second time I was meeting friends at a bar after work. They had already been drinking. They got pulled over and one friend got taken into protective custody because he was drunk and being an ### to the cop (he wasnt driving so they couldnt get him for DUI). When I got to the bar, my friend filled me in about the other friend. So I said lets go up to the jail and bail him out (at the time I didnt know he was PC'ed which does not allow for bail). I walked into the police station and announced I was there to bail out my friend. The cop told me that he wasnt going anywhere until his parents came to get him. I asked why a 21 year needed to have his parents pick him up. I had the money why couldnt I bail him out. I got somewhat belligerent and got arrested for disorderly conduct. Charges later dropped.

Some have commented that the Police Officer didnt handle the situation properly but my experience is that the police arrest you for disorderly conduct specifically to control the situation. If you wont shut up, you will get arrested. MAURILE says that being belligerent to the police is not against the law. Continuously badger the police and see if you dont get arrested.

BTW. Once you leave your front door, you are in the public. Your front porch is not in your house. I was sharing a duplex house right after college and our neighbor called the police to complain about the noise. The police came to the door and asked me to come outside. My father had warned me not to go outside. If the police do not observe anything illegal going on then they cant force you to come outside. I talked to them through the door. However, if the police are on a B&E call and find a guy in the house, I think they have probable cause to insist he go outside to talk to them.

TIM YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY OUT OF YOUR MIND IN THIS THREAD. I THOUGHT YOU COULDNT BEAT THE TEDDY KENNEDY THREAT BUT YOU MIGHT HAVE.

If the dude was white, with a white chauffeur, wearing a sport coat and a limo parked out front, I'm guessing this would have gone down differently.
Between the police and homeowner? Please go on...

Sure. But not because behaving that way is illegal.

Maybe not by your interpretation or some egghead law review lawyers interpretation but I can guarantee you it is illegal in the view of most police officers in Massachusetts. And this wasnt a green rookie officer, this was a seasoned sargent.

You are WRONG on this point.

The police might not get many convictions on the charge of disorderly conduct (its only a $150 fine anyway) but the police kind of get their point across that "dont be a #### or you will be arrested".

Let's instead move it to a high rise in Cabrini Green, Chicago. Say two white cops had been called to investigate a report of an intruder on the sixth floor of the high rise. They go to the door and knock. They hear someone inside and order the person out. Everything happens exactly the same. Including alleging racial bias on the part of the cops in a loud voice. But, instead of the cops being in the front yard with a few passers-by on the street overhearing the rant, we have two cops in a hallway with people coming out of their apartments. People who presumably share the same beliefs about cops as Mr. Gates.

Cops have been killed in those high rises. Would the cops have been wrong to arrest the man under those circumstances?
It depends on whether he's yelling stuff that's calculated to provoke violence.In the Gates case, that didn't seem to be a realistic concern. Also, there was no report that any of the bystanders were disturbed or upset by Gates' ranting. It appears that nobody made a complaint.

The only person the rant seemed to agitate was the cop. That's not disorderly conduct (especially since cops aren't supposed to be agitated as easily as civilians).
But the law doesn't require him to intend to provoke violence.Under Mass. law a disorderly person is defined as one who:

* with purpose to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or

* recklessly creates a risk thereof

* engages in fighting or threatening, violent or tumultuous behavior, or

* creates a hazard or physically offensive condition by any act which serves no legitimate purpose.

http://www.masscriminaldefense.com/disorderly.htm

So one disturbs the peace if he recklessly creates a risk of annoyance by engaging in tumultuous behavior.

So the standard is recklessness, not purposefulness. And you don't have to create an annoyance just the risk of an annoyance. And yelling is tumultuous.

Seems to me an argument could be made that this he disturbed the peace.

Good point. I havent seen anything written about the Limo driver. Where was he when the cops arrived? Had he already left with the Limo (which sounded like a town car)

Let's instead move it to a high rise in Cabrini Green, Chicago. Say two white cops had been called to investigate a report of an intruder on the sixth floor of the high rise. They go to the door and knock. They hear someone inside and order the person out. Everything happens exactly the same. Including alleging racial bias on the part of the cops in a loud voice. But, instead of the cops being in the front yard with a few passers-by on the street overhearing the rant, we have two cops in a hallway with people coming out of their apartments. People who presumably share the same beliefs about cops as Mr. Gates.Cops have been killed in those high rises. Would the cops have been wrong to arrest the man under those circumstances?
It depends on whether he's yelling stuff that's calculated to provoke violence.In the Gates case, that didn't seem to be a realistic concern. Also, there was no report that any of the bystanders were disturbed or upset by Gates' ranting. It appears that nobody made a complaint.The only person the rant seemed to agitate was the cop. That's not disorderly conduct (especially since cops aren't supposed to be agitated as easily as civilians).
If I am reading Maurile's responses correctly, then am I to conclude that one can say whatever one wants to the police as long as I don't physically threaten them? Is it really this clear cut? Could I insult his wife, his mother, his sexual orientation, his religion, his appearance, etc. as loudly as I want to but refrain from actually threatening him bodily harm and still be on the right side of the law? Honest question. If this is the case it surprises me.

Yes. If I've already entered my own house through the back door with my own set of keys and I show the cops my identification I expect that the officer leaves without a peep and no more questions asked. I had this happen to me a few months ago. My alarm went off in my condo, the cops showed up and asked me if everything was okay. I was not asked for an ID, I just told them I accidentally set the alarm off.

Are you under the impression that as long as its verbal its ok?
His only point is that as long as it's legal it's ok. Otherwise the officer acted inappropriately in arresting Gates.Not all that hard to follow really.
so I'm asking if verbally assulting an officer is legal. Which is probably boardline. He was brought down, and no charges were pressed. how can anyone think this professor was mistreated?

Last winter, I arrived at home to see that my locks on the front door had froze. I went in through the back, got some tools and water and went back out front.

I am not that good with tools, I messed around for a while.

I'm white, my neighborhood is about 85% white.

Cops rolled up (white), and asked what I was doing. I told them, they asked for my ID. I gave it to them. They ran it, and cleared me in front of my own home.

I asked if they would help, they said they were busy and left.

My point is, if I would have acted like a tool like Gates did, I would have went to jail. I am sure of it.

Like I have said before, Raceism won't go away until the race card does. It is a chicken and egg type of deal.

If I am reading Maurile's responses correctly, then am I to conclude that one can say whatever one wants to the police as long as I don't physically threaten them? Is it really this clear cut? Could I insult his wife, his mother, his sexual orientation, his religion, his appearance, etc. as loudly as I want to but refrain from actually threatening him bodily harm and still be on the right side of the law? Honest question. If this is the case it surprises me.
Its not the case.

Great, the Professor would not make a good cop either. Really not the point. For everyone's sake Im glad the Professor is not a cop and if more people that shouldn't be cops were not cops, the police would get a lot more respect.
No, the point is that white people are NOT the most racist people in America right now, and it's not even close. They come in 4th, easily.

Yes. If I've already entered my own house through the back door with my own set of keys and I show the cops my identification I expect that the officer leaves without a peep and no more questions asked. I had this happen to me a few months ago. My alarm went off in my condo, the cops showed up and asked me if everything was okay. I was not asked for an ID, I just told them I accidentally set the alarm off.
from the line of questioning, it seems like the officer did accept the fact that the professor was the homeowner. What the officer could not confirm is if someone had broken into the house prior to the homeowner's arrival, which is why he requested the homeowner to exit the house. At that point, the homeowner was the one who pushed the situation to a point where the cop had to bring out the cuffs.

TIM YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY OUT OF YOUR MIND IN THIS THREAD. I THOUGHT YOU COULDNT BEAT THE TEDDY KENNEDY THREAT BUT YOU MIGHT HAVE.
I appreciate the kind words, Pat. Somehow, though, I have a feeling you didn't read everything I posted in this thread. If you want, go back and read some more. You might even agree with some of it.

No, the point is that white people are NOT the most racist people in America right now, and it's not even close. They come in 4th, easily.
:goodposting:really?I love threads like these.

in that hypothetical scenario, there's probably a pretty good chance the cops never get called in the first place.
I bet that thought is what's fueling much of the outrage. It has to be. That's only place in this timeline of events where racial profiling could even fit (if racial profiling applies to citizens).Too bad it's the cop who's career is on the line.The cop's got to be the scapegoat to make a racial issue out of this. Whether the lady would've called the cops on white men or not, it was reasonable for her to make that call. Can't get any mileage out of calling her out. (Wouldn't make for a very compelling PBS documentary either).

I think most people here would agree that the main reason he was arrested was for being a doosh to the cop in front of a crowd and the officer's peers. When you disobey a police officer and then top it off by disrespecting him loudly in front of a gathering crowd, you should expect shoddy treatment. And if the officer is threatening to arrest you while you are doing this, it is safe to assume that he will follow thru on his threat.
Exactly.When you are a doosh to most people, you can expect them to be a doosh back to you, although probably non-violently.

If you are a doosh to a thug or to certain cops (but not all cops), you can be expected to have force used against you -- unlawfully.

That means it's particularly stupid to be a doosh to a thug or a cop. But it doesn't mean that the thug or the cop should be free from criticism.
:confused: I've been in a similar situation and didn't get arrested even though I was a doosh to the cops. It just depends on the cop. This cop probably did follow all the rules and I don't think he acted unlawfully. But this is America and you should not reasonably expect to be arrested in your own home due to a misunderstanding or a clash of egos.

Had it not happened to me, I probably would be thinking why didn't this guy just cooperate with the police in a polite and respectful manner. But I did do that and it escalated anyway based on my appearance at the time. I was the victim of a B & E and called the police to my house and was treated like the suspect after they arrived. The cop's judgement or lack thereof always wins in that situation whether you cooperate or not.

Users who are viewing this thread