What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Percy Harvin Hype machine (2 Viewers)

dcgator said:
I have to disagree. Percy was Florida's #1 down field threat. He would catch balls against much bigger DBs because of his speed and hands. Check out any Percy highlight video an you can see him catching the ball over his shoulder, behind the db, and even on deflections....and most of them went for TDs. While a some of the passes thrown to him were of the 5-10 yard variety, Percy was tremendous downfield and Urban Meyer utilized it as much as he could.
didn't mean that to say that he didn't or couldn't have his share of long passes (a skinny post is a deep route) but UF used him at least as much on crossing routes and quick hitters as going deep. Murphy and Cooper were the guys that primarily ran deep sideline type routes. The spectacular catch thing is just that I don't remember a whole lot of "Jacquez Green vs FSU" circus-style one-handers, that kind of thing - I think he has great hands and is real consistent catching the ball though.this video does a good job of showing the different ways Florida used him last year: Percy Harvin

like several others have said in this thread already, I think he'll be a better NFL player than fantasy player, but I also think he's got crazy potential down the road.

Chilly: 'Sky's the limit' on Harvin's touches

According to coach Brad Childress, the "sky's the limit" in terms of finding different ways to get the ball in Pervy Harvin's hands.

"We're going to throw a ton at him," Childress said. "We're trying to really immerse him." Childress compared Harvin's potential role to that of a young Brian Westbrook. "From the I-back, to the split-back, to the single-back, to the wing, to the mid-spot, to all the way out and everywhere in between, I think we can do some of those things with Percy," said Childress. Harvin is going to test Chilly's reputation as a play-caller lacking in creativity.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/...?page=2&c=y

I was just reading through the training camp blogs and came across this:

Vikings camp report: QBs still the focus

Posted: August 5th, 2009 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Adrian Peterson, Brad Childress, Jasper Brinkley, Minnesota Vikings, Percy Harvin, Phil Loadholt, Sage Rosenfels, Sidney Rice, Tarvaris Jackson

NFL.com senior writer Steve Wyche was in Mankato, Minn., checking out Vikings training camp.

Wyche says Minnesota’s QB situation — even without Brett Favre in the mix — is still intriguing. Tarvaris Jackson returned to the practice field for the first time since spraining his left knee, and Sage Rosenfels looked comfortable at the helm of the first-team offense.

“I said all along that the Sage and Tarvaris thing is going to be a competition — and it is,” Vikings coach Brad Childress said. “I know Tarvaris is anxious to get back in there and compete.”

Some of Wyche’s other observations from Vikings training camp:

* WR Sidney Rice will continue to confound fans — and probably coaches. The former second-round draft pick is incredibly gifted but remains inconsistent.

* First-round pick Percy Harvin is being pushed, maybe harder than any other player, to figure out things.

* Rookie LB Jasper Brinkley, a fifth-round pick from South Carolina, is quickly making a name for himself.

* Rookie Phil Loadholt (6-8, 343) looks like he will be the starting right tackle.

* RB Adrian Peterson showed why he’s the among the best players in the league.
Any homers know exactly what this is supposed to mean? Is he having trouble figuring things out or are the Vikes just setting the learning curve very high for him?

Posted: August 5th, 2009 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Adrian Peterson, Brad Childress, Jasper Brinkley, Minnesota Vikings, Percy Harvin, Phil Loadholt, Sage Rosenfels, Sidney Rice, Tarvaris Jackson

NFL.com senior writer Steve Wyche was in Mankato, Minn., checking out Vikings training camp.

Wyche says Minnesota’s QB situation — even without Brett Favre in the mix — is still intriguing. Tarvaris Jackson returned to the practice field for the first time since spraining his left knee, and Sage Rosenfels looked comfortable at the helm of the first-team offense.

“I said all along that the Sage and Tarvaris thing is going to be a competition — and it is,” Vikings coach Brad Childress said. “I know Tarvaris is anxious to get back in there and compete.”

* WR Sidney Rice will continue to confound fans — and probably coaches. The former second-round draft pick is incredibly gifted but remains inconsistent.

* First-round pick Percy Harvin is being pushed, maybe harder than any other player, to figure out things.

* Rookie LB Jasper Brinkley, a fifth-round pick from South Carolina, is quickly making a name for himself.

* Rookie Phil Loadholt (6-8, 343) looks like he will be the starting right tackle.

Any homers know exactly what this is supposed to mean? Is he having trouble figuring things out or are the Vikes just setting the learning curve very high for him?
Not a homer at all but everything I hear relates to the Vikings really counting on him to take some pressure off Peterson and he is learning all 3 WR positions and of course will take some carries out of the backfield as well.

I don't read it as either.I read it as the Vikings foresee Harvin as a big part of the offensive and want him to get a good handle on understanding it.

I don't read it as either.I read it as the Vikings foresee Harvin as a big part of the offensive and want him to get a good handle on understanding it.
Well if it is as you say then I would see that as them setting the curve high for him.

Go deep

SOURCE MINNEAPOLIS STAR & TRIBUNE

Childress might not be satisfied with the passing game but he certainly had to like what he saw from Harvin in at least two instances this morning. In one-on-one drills between the wide receivers and cornerbacks, Harvin got past Marcus Walker and caught a pass from Tarvaris Jackson that would have gone for a 72-yard touchdown. The pass went about 45 yards in the air. In 7-on-7, Harvin made a double move and caught a 30-yard pass from Rosenfels after rookie safety Jamarca Sanford was a bit late getting over.

Harvin looks to be what the Vikings thought they were getting in Troy Williamson. Harvin has that type of blazing football speed. The difference is that when the ball lands in his hands it stays there.

“He’s got a ton to learn. Like all those new guys do,” Childress said of Harvin. “He’s just a little bit behind. It’s a matter of him not having a thing about what the formation is and where do I go and what line do I run? I always talk about that. I’m not so much big on line runners as what flexibility do you have along that line? With coverages, with where linebackers are and so he’s still doing a great deal of thinking, which is not a bad thing. We want him to think not about what he’s doing but what’s happening to him on the other side.”

More goodies from the Vikes camp. Good to see Jackson back working out also

Day 7 recap

August 6th, 2009 – 5:55 PM by Chip Scoggins MANKATO

Minneapolis Star & Tribune

The first week of training camp is officially over. It only feels like we’ve been here a month already!

Another busy day and here are some highlights, notes and quotes from Judd and I:

HARVIN SHINES

Rookie Percy Harvin stood out today with two long catches, one from Tarvaris Jackson and one from Sage Rosenfels. Harvin also took direct snaps in the Wildcat formation and showed off his speed.

Afterward, safety Tyrell Johnson talked about Harvin’s speed and how much pressure it puts on the defense.

“He’s stretching our defense so I know he’s going to stretch everybody else’s defense when game time comes,” Johnson said. “He’s a blazer. He’s the fastest guy I’ve seen on the field yet.”

Even faster than Adrian Peterson? “It’s close. I would like to see that foot race between those two.”

Johnson also talked about how hard it is to defend the Wildcat formation.

“It’s tough. You have Adrian and Percy back there. If they train him to throw the ball you have to worry about Bernard [berrian] and Sid [Rice] as the receivers. It’s like, how do you win against that.”

That sound you just heard was Harvin moving up FF draft boards, don't sleep on this one

If you're a Harvin backer, the Vikes are just setting the learning curve very high for him. If you're a Harvin basher, he's having trouble figuring things out.

Not a homer at all but everything I hear relates to the Vikings really counting on him to take some pressure off Peterson and he is learning all 3 WR positions and of course will take some carries out of the backfield as well.
He is also learning special teams too.To answer Jurbs question however I would not read that as he is struggling at all learning his responsibilities in any of these many roles. As a matter of fact I have read that Childress praising Harvins football intellegence and instincts in how he is picking up the offense and the many new roles being thrown at him. Sorry no link but I think this is around here somewhere. Maybe I read somewhere else I don't remember.

But in any case yes the learning curve is high because of all the things being asked of him. But no he has not been struggling picking up these mental aspects of all of these roles.

He is a rookie. So these things all take time.

Some great posts by Gopher State there telling some more of the story.

I am assuming this is the same for all teams. But I recall Eddie McDaniel talking about the repetitions they go through and how over time every play becomes less thinking about it and more instictualy executing the play. So all players go through that learning curve every preseason and training camp. Harvin isn't the only guy going through this learning process. Of course that process is more challenging for a rookie player than a veteran. That is why we call them rookies.

HTH

i just think you cant ignore the system. I probably saw 60 % of his college games and theres no doubt hes a great athlete but i think his system (spread option) leaves him ill preparedto slide right into a traditional wideout role. The plays that people are talking about here are spread option type plays, but theres a reason we dont see those plays often in the nfl. I dont see the vikes running enough of those types of plays. One of the reasons harvin was so good at florida is that he could get lost in the spread attack. I see potential but more in his third year cause he will have to learn so kuch about routes.
I'm still skeptical. Handoffs don't work in the NFL? Screens don't work in the NFL? Kick returns don't work in the NFL? End-arounds don't work in the NFL? A lot of the time when Percy got the ball, it wasn't the result of spread gimmickry (because trust me, no amount of gimmickry could cause an opposing defense to lose track of Percy Harvin), it was just the result of Florida making a concerted effort to put the ball in his hands. You know the common denominator in each of the four "big game performances" I mentioned earlier was? He had more touches and more yards rushing than he had receiving. There's nothing gimmicky about lining Harvin up at tailback and letting him make something happen.
point being that those plays work because theyre rare enough that defenses arent expecting them. And i seriously doubt they want to line him up at tailback much with ap and ct.

i just think you cant ignore the system. I probably saw 60 % of his college games and theres no doubt hes a great athlete but i think his system (spread option) leaves him ill preparedto slide right into a traditional wideout role. The plays that people are talking about here are spread option type plays, but theres a reason we dont see those plays often in the nfl. I dont see the vikes running enough of those types of plays. One of the reasons harvin was so good at florida is that he could get lost in the spread attack. I see potential but more in his third year cause he will have to learn so kuch about routes.
I'm still skeptical. Handoffs don't work in the NFL? Screens don't work in the NFL? Kick returns don't work in the NFL? End-arounds don't work in the NFL? A lot of the time when Percy got the ball, it wasn't the result of spread gimmickry (because trust me, no amount of gimmickry could cause an opposing defense to lose track of Percy Harvin), it was just the result of Florida making a concerted effort to put the ball in his hands. You know the common denominator in each of the four "big game performances" I mentioned earlier was? He had more touches and more yards rushing than he had receiving. There's nothing gimmicky about lining Harvin up at tailback and letting him make something happen.
point being that those plays work because theyre rare enough that defenses arent expecting them. And i seriously doubt they want Oto line him up at tailback much with ap and ct.See the words from his coach. Not saying he doesnt have potential just sayinghell take longer to acclimate. It’s a matter of him not having a thing about what the formation is and where do I go and what line do I run?

I offered Eddie Royal and my 2010 first-round pick for Percy Harvin in my Dynasty league. It was turned down cold.

:goodposting:

Stonewalled for now. I'll have to get more creative.

I offered Eddie Royal and my 2010 first-round pick for Percy Harvin in my Dynasty league. It was turned down cold. :thumbup: Stonewalled for now. I'll have to get more creative.
ok....WOW :lmao: I guess the hype train is in full effect. That sure is ALOT to offer. I see you are serious about your mancrush on him. good luck getting him bro....

point being that those plays work because theyre rare enough that defenses arent expecting them. And i seriously doubt they want Oto line him up at tailback much with ap and ct.See the words from his coach. Not saying he doesnt have potential just sayinghell take longer to acclimate. It’s a matter of him not having a thing about what the formation is and where do I go and what line do I run?
Handoffs to Harvin work because the defense isn't expecting them? You mean the first 190 times Florida handed off to Harvin weren't a big enough clue that when he lined up in the backfield, the Gators were handing off to him?Also, the words from his coach all say expect big things immediately. I don't know what words you want me to see to temper my expectations.

I offered Eddie Royal and my 2010 first-round pick for Percy Harvin in my Dynasty league. It was turned down cold. :lmao: Stonewalled for now. I'll have to get more creative.
Wow! I can't believe you offered that and worst yet I can't believe it was turned down.
Maybe the guy doesen't think that much of Royal or F&L 1st round pick.I know I can't get next to fair value for my 1st rounders lately. They have seen too much of that action from me already.Gotta come up with some new ideas.

I offered Eddie Royal and my 2010 first-round pick for Percy Harvin in my Dynasty league. It was turned down cold. :lmao: Stonewalled for now. I'll have to get more creative.
Wow! I can't believe you offered that and worst yet I can't believe it was turned down.
Maybe the guy doesen't think that much of Royal or F&L 1st round pick.I know I can't get next to fair value for my 1st rounders lately. They have seen too much of that action from me already.Gotta come up with some new ideas.
He told me he actually was a big fan of "EZEII," but he couldn't pull the trigger right now. He mentioned something about possibly needing Harvin as ammo to improve his RBs (He has MBIII, Slaton, Lynch, McClain, Hightower, Ricky -- which is pretty strong). I think he just suspects I know something he doesn't know.I wouldn't blame him for not being impressed with a late-first rounder. Maybe everyone else is catching on to the fact that they're most over-valued entities in Dynasty leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Translation from all of the Harvin doubters, who still can't (or better yet, refuse to) see the obvious.

Oops! I pho**ed up not selecting this kid at 1.07, 1.08, even 1.09 of my rookie draft, so now I'm hoping (make that praying) that he busts......

:moneybag: :doh: :doh:

I offered Eddie Royal and my 2010 first-round pick for Percy Harvin in my Dynasty league. It was turned down cold. :sadbanana: Stonewalled for now. I'll have to get more creative.
He told me he actually was a big fan of "EZEII," but he couldn't pull the trigger right now. He mentioned something about possibly needing Harvin as ammo to improve his RBs (He has MBIII, Slaton, Lynch, McClain, Hightower, Ricky -- which is pretty strong). I think he just suspects I know something he doesn't know.I wouldn't blame him for not being impressed with a late-first rounder. Maybe everyone else is catching on to the fact that they're most over-valued entities in Dynasty leagues.
Yeah me either. But picks like that can get you guys like Harvin. So I guess I will keep it this year.

Still getting him in the early 10th in my mock 10-team redrafts....may have to start shooting for the 7/8 soon.

Still getting him in the early 10th in my mock 10-team redrafts....may have to start shooting for the 7/8 soon.
I've gotten him in the 12th or 13th in 3 consecutive real drafts. He is a rookie who isn't a starter.
Not a starter? What do you know that we don't know?
He hasn't been named a starter at any position. As I understand it his WR role this year will be as WR3.Maybe he's already considered a starter on special teams, but most leagues don't give you points for that.

I've gotten him in the 12th or 13th in 3 consecutive real drafts. He is a rookie who isn't a starter.
Not a starter? What do you know that we don't know?
He hasn't been named a starter at any position. As I understand it his WR role this year will be as WR3.Maybe he's already considered a starter on special teams, but most leagues don't give you points for that.
He ran with the starters during install in his first practice after signing, and Chilly has barely taken him off the field since.

Think I'm a little too on board...took him over Maclin with the 7th pick in our rookie draft (dynasty) in June.

I dont see Harvin having the type of impact this year than a lot of you are leading to believe. Minn. is a run first team. How many looks do you seriously see Harvin getting if hes #2 WR? Max I'd say 70-80. He'll probably catch about 50-55% of those which is about 30-40 balls caught. He'll prob avg about 13-14 ypc. He wont be a goaline threat. Where is the value?!??????????

I dont see Harvin having the type of impact this year than a lot of you are leading to believe. Minn. is a run first team. How many looks do you seriously see Harvin getting if hes #2 WR? Max I'd say 70-80. He'll probably catch about 50-55% of those which is about 30-40 balls caught. He'll prob avg about 13-14 ypc. He wont be a goaline threat. Where is the value?!??????????
Is Harvin even going to be the WR2 or will that be Rice? I thought Harvin was going to pplay out of the slot and then whatever gimmick plays they come up for him with out of the backfield.

Is Harvin even going to be the WR2 or will that be Rice? I thought Harvin was going to pplay out of the slot and then whatever gimmick plays they come up for him with out of the backfield.
I wouldn't worry about Rice.He can't stay healthy and he is not really that good. I would be more worried about Wade getting looks than Rice at this point.

I dont see Harvin having the type of impact this year than a lot of you are leading to believe. Minn. is a run first team. How many looks do you seriously see Harvin getting if hes #2 WR? Max I'd say 70-80. He'll probably catch about 50-55% of those which is about 30-40 balls caught. He'll prob avg about 13-14 ypc. He wont be a goaline threat. Where is the value?
I don't see carries factored in here. Re: goal-line. He was already working in the goal-line package the day he hit the field in training camp.Are you just not reading the news & updates out of Vikings camp? Are you chalking up all of Childress' quotes to coach-speak? He's made it clear in no uncertain terms that Harvin is going to have the ball in his hands on a weekly basis.

Are you just not reading the news & updates out of Vikings camp? Are you chalking up all of Childress' quotes to coach-speak? He's made it clear in no uncertain terms that Harvin is going to have the ball in his hands on a weekly basis.
Well he will have the ball in his hands on a weekly basis. No one is questioning that. The question is how much will he have it in his hands that will make a fantasy impact? Heck could could touch the ball 10 times a game but if 8 of them are returns that really isn't helping us much.

I dont see Harvin having the type of impact this year than a lot of you are leading to believe. Minn. is a run first team. How many looks do you seriously see Harvin getting if hes #2 WR? Max I'd say 70-80. He'll probably catch about 50-55% of those which is about 30-40 balls caught. He'll prob avg about 13-14 ypc. He wont be a goaline threat. Where is the value?
I don't see carries factored in here. Re: goal-line. He was already working in the goal-line package the day he hit the field in training camp.Are you just not reading the news & updates out of Vikings camp? Are you chalking up all of Childress' quotes to coach-speak? He's made it clear in no uncertain terms that Harvin is going to have the ball in his hands on a weekly basis.
You seriously think when it gets down to the nitty gritty, Minn will go to Harvin over Peterson inside the 5? I'd argue Sidney Rice is even a better redzone threat. Don't over value Harvin. He won't even come close to having a Desean Jackson type impact.

I wouldn't worry about Rice.He can't stay healthy and he is not really that good. I would be more worried about Wade getting looks than Rice at this point.
alot of talk on the radio this week that wade might not even make the team. Rice sounds like he's having an awesome camp :goodposting:

Don't over value Harvin. He won't even come close to having a Desean Jackson type impact.
Actually, that's exactly the type of impact I expect him to have. Jackson entered a seemingly cloudy situation last season and quickly emerged. That was partially because Curtis had health problems, but largely because Jackson was too explosive to keep off the field. I expect to see something similar from Harvin. All it takes is 4-5 short throws a week to make him a weekly starter in PPR leagues. Think about how Reggie Bush has been used in the passing game and then imagine him as more of a pure WR who will get some deep looks. I think that's what we'll get from Harvin.

I don't see carries factored in here. Re: goal-line. He was already working in the goal-line package the day he hit the field in training camp.

Are you just not reading the news & updates out of Vikings camp? Are you chalking up all of Childress' quotes to coach-speak? He's made it clear in no uncertain terms that Harvin is going to have the ball in his hands on a weekly basis.
You seriously think when it gets down to the nitty gritty, Minn will go to Harvin over Peterson inside the 5? I'd argue Sidney Rice is even a better redzone threat. Don't over value Harvin. He won't even come close to having a Desean Jackson type impact.
I agree with this on some levels. I think Harvin brings something to Minny that may be as effective in terms of NFL impact in comparison to what Jackson did last season. But as far as fantasy relevance for this up coming season people need to temper their enthusiasm. I liken Harvin to Steve Smith (Carolina).

Smith 5'9, 185 lbs ran a 4.38

Harvin 5'11, 192 lbs ran a 4.41

Both guys are extremly quick and big time play makers. Both guys have/had some questions asked about their character.

Can Harvin have NFL impact as a rookie? Yes. I mean Steve Smith definitely had a big impact as a rookie netting 1, 994 yards and being selected to a pro bowl. However, in that rookie year he had only 10 receptions for 154 yards to go along with 4 rush attempts for 43 yards.

I think Harvin will have more touches in Minny's offense as a rookie than Smith did as a rookie in Carolina, but I think the pay off with Harvin is not going to be this year. I think it will take a couple of seasons for Harvin to really find his role of putting up consitent fantasy points. In dynasty it appears the sky could be the limit. In redraft temper the enthusiasm.

Don't over value Harvin. He won't even come close to having a Desean Jackson type impact.
Actually, that's exactly the type of impact I expect him to have. Jackson entered a seemingly cloudy situation last season and quickly emerged. That was partially because Curtis had health problems, but largely because Jackson was too explosive to keep off the field. I expect to see something similar from Harvin. All it takes is 4-5 short throws a week to make him a weekly starter in PPR leagues. Think about how Reggie Bush has been used in the passing game and then imagine him as more of a pure WR who will get some deep looks. I think that's what we'll get from Harvin.
I said it this time last year, but Jackson walked into the perfect system and team for him to have success. Philly's offense was something Jackson was able to become familiar with thanks to working with Jerry Rice during the off-season.There are HUGE differences between Jackson and Harvin as prospects alone, but a major difference in the offenses they will/did play in their rookie years is that Philly's offense was already in place and an ideal fit for Jackson. Minn will have to alter theirs and create plays for Harvin.This doesn't mean that Harvin can't have a similar impact. I just wouldn't count on it.

Maven said:
Fear & Loathing said:
Maven said:
I don't see carries factored in here. Re: goal-line. He was already working in the goal-line package the day he hit the field in training camp.

You found your way into the wrong thread. This is the Percy Harvin Hype Train thread. We know he's going to have an instant impact. Per our usual custom, skeptics will be derided throughout the season.

Nope, I'm here to stop the train. You'll be running out of tracks off into a cliff Back to the Future style if you don't listen!!! hahaha

Form response from earlier in the week:

He's going to be a major part of this offense. The coaching staff is telling everyone, but only half of us are listening.
Feel free to copy and paste as a response when appropriate.

jurb26 said:
Maven said:
Scratching my head....... :shrug: :shrug: You guys simply aren't getting it. But yeah, you are at least right about one thing. He's not the WR2, or WR3..........He's the WR1Like last year....Enter DeSean Jackson. Take a backseat, Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis, and whomever else.......Enter the door Mr. Harvin, let's draw up 30 plays for you. Take a backseat, Bernard Berrian, Sidney Rice, Shiancoe, and whomever else.I know it's getting harder and harder to fathom for all the traditionalists, guys who want their WR to strictly line up on the outside, run the basic route tree, and get you 55 rec for 800 yds, 3-5 TDs (Berrian-like), and call him my WR1. Well, sorry folks, that ain't good enough when 'Dynamite' enters the door. The top of the food chain is reserved for the Ultimate Predators, and this kid is King of the Jungle. Berrian, Rice, fantasy world, listen up. You guys are average......Mi better din u, mon, says Percy as he puff-puffs :thumbup: :lmao: But all kidding aside, seriously, Harvin is WR1 - BOOK IT!Not a traditional WR1 in the sense that he gets 150-160 targets like other teams' WR1, but in the sense that in their passing game he is the primary guy the QB will be looking to get the ball to. Here's how I'd break down the catches on the Vikings.Harvin - 58 recBerrian - 47 recRice - 38 recShiancoe/TEs - 42Wade/Other WRs - 36RBs - 45

Scratching my head....... :shrug: :shrug: You guys simply aren't getting it. But yeah, you are at least right about one thing. He's not the WR2, or WR3..........He's the WR1Like last year....Enter DeSean Jackson. Take a backseat, Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis, and whomever else.......Enter the door Mr. Harvin, let's draw up 30 plays for you. Take a backseat, Bernard Berrian, Sidney Rice, Shiancoe, and whomever else.I know it's getting harder and harder to fathom for all the traditionalists, guys who want their WR to strictly line up on the outside, run the basic route tree, and get you 55 rec for 800 yds, 3-5 TDs (Berrian-like), and call him my WR1. Well, sorry folks, that ain't good enough when 'Dynamite' enters the door. The top of the food chain is reserved for the Ultimate Predators, and this kid is King of the Jungle. Berrian, Rice, fantasy world, listen up. You guys are average......Mi better din u, mon, says Percy as he puff-puffs :lmao: :shrug: But all kidding aside, seriously, Harvin is WR1 - BOOK IT!Not a traditional WR1 in the sense that he gets 150-160 targets like other teams' WR1, but in the sense that in their passing game he is the primary guy the QB will be looking to get the ball to. Here's how I'd break down the catches on the Vikings.Harvin - 58 recBerrian - 47 recRice - 38 recShiancoe/TEs - 42Wade/Other WRs - 36RBs - 45
Helluva :thumbup: kremenull has vision.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
Maven said:
Fear & Loathing said:
Maven said:

I agree with this on some levels. I think Harvin brings something to Minny that may be as effective in terms of NFL impact in comparison to what Jackson did last season. But as far as fantasy relevance for this up coming season people need to temper their enthusiasm. I liken Harvin to Steve Smith (Carolina).

Smith 5'9, 185 lbs ran a 4.38

Harvin 5'11, 192 lbs ran a 4.41

Both guys are extremly quick and big time play makers. Both guys have/had some questions asked about their character.

Can Harvin have NFL impact as a rookie? Yes. I mean Steve Smith definitely had a big impact as a rookie netting 1, 994 yards and being selected to a pro bowl. However, in that rookie year he had only 10 receptions for 154 yards to go along with 4 rush attempts for 43 yards.

I think Harvin will have more touches in Minny's offense as a rookie than Smith did as a rookie in Carolina, but I think the pay off with Harvin is not going to be this year. I think it will take a couple of seasons for Harvin to really find his role of putting up consitent fantasy points. In dynasty it appears the sky could be the limit. In redraft temper the enthusiasm.
Uhhh.....No Thanks!

jurb26 said:
Maven said:
Scratching my head....... :shrug: :shrug: You guys simply aren't getting it. But yeah, you are at least right about one thing. He's not the WR2, or WR3..........He's the WR1Like last year....Enter DeSean Jackson. Take a backseat, Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis, and whomever else.......Enter the door Mr. Harvin, let's draw up 30 plays for you. Take a backseat, Bernard Berrian, Sidney Rice, Shiancoe, and whomever else.I know it's getting harder and harder to fathom for all the traditionalists, guys who want their WR to strictly line up on the outside, run the basic route tree, and get you 55 rec for 800 yds, 3-5 TDs (Berrian-like), and call him my WR1. Well, sorry folks, that ain't good enough when 'Dynamite' enters the door. The top of the food chain is reserved for the Ultimate Predators, and this kid is King of the Jungle. Berrian, Rice, fantasy world, listen up. You guys are average......Mi better din u, mon, says Percy as he puff-puffs :thumbup: :coffee: But all kidding aside, seriously, Harvin is WR1 - BOOK IT!Not a traditional WR1 in the sense that he gets 150-160 targets like other teams' WR1, but in the sense that in their passing game he is the primary guy the QB will be looking to get the ball to. Here's how I'd break down the catches on the Vikings.Harvin - 58 recBerrian - 47 recRice - 38 recShiancoe/TEs - 42Wade/Other WRs - 36RBs - 45
So Harvin will have more receptions than any Minn WR in the past 5 years and do so as a rookie?

Users who are viewing this thread