What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Percy Harvin Hype machine (1 Viewer)

Just Win Baby said:
two_dollars said:
I'm not sure what kind of numbers people are expecting out of Harvin. I don't see him touching the ball more than 10-12 times a game tops. He's not taking carries away from Peterson and Taylor, and no one in MIN is going to put up great recieving numbers.
IMO 10 touches per game should equate to at least 1000 yards and 8 TDs... with a lot of upside on those numbers.
Can you explain what you think the break down will be to get those 1000 yards and 8 TD's?

Just Win Baby said:
two_dollars said:
I'm not sure what kind of numbers people are expecting out of Harvin. I don't see him touching the ball more than 10-12 times a game tops. He's not taking carries away from Peterson and Taylor, and no one in MIN is going to put up great recieving numbers.
IMO 10 touches per game should equate to at least 1000 yards and 8 TDs... with a lot of upside on those numbers.
Can you explain what you think the break down will be to get those 1000 yards and 8 TD's?
If he gets 10 touches per game? 1000 yards is a lock, unless you think that means mostly carries (and assuming he plays 16 games)... and with both AP and Taylor on the team, I don't see him getting more than 5 carries per game.If he does get 10 touches from scrimmage per game, which is what the post I responded to suggested as a floor, I'd assume that means 4-5 carries and 5-6 receptions per game. I'd assume he'll average no less than 4 ypc and 10 ypr, and IMO those are extremely conservative averages. that means a minimum of 75 yards from scrimmage per game, which over 16 games is 1200 yards. So to get 1000 total yards, he obviously doesn't actually require 10 touches per game, especially since he could easily average a lot more yards per carry and per reception.As for the TDs, 8 TDs on 160 touches (10 per game) is only 1 every 20 touches. For an electric player like Harvin, I think that is reasonable, if not conservative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just Win Baby said:
two_dollars said:
oh boy.

Just Win Baby said:
two_dollars said:
If he gets 10 touches per game? 1000 yards is a lock, unless you think that means mostly carries (and assuming he plays 16 games)... and with both AP and Taylor on the team, I don't see him getting more than 5 carries per game.If he does get 10 touches from scrimmage per game, which is what the post I responded to suggested as a floor, I'd assume that means 4-5 carries and 5-6 receptions per game. I'd assume he'll average no less than 4 ypc and 10 ypr, and IMO those are extremely conservative averages. that means a minimum of 75 yards from scrimmage per game, which over 16 games is 1200 yards. So to get 1000 total yards, he obviously doesn't actually require 10 touches per game, especially since he could easily average a lot more yards per carry and per reception.As for the TDs, 8 TDs on 160 touches (10 per game) is only 1 every 20 touches. For an electric player like Harvin, I think that is reasonable, if not conservative.
First off thanks for posting.I think people need to take a deep breath and start putting these numbers into context.....If Harvin was to catch on average 5 to 6 receptions a game that would be really good numbers for an every down WR who is the number 1 option on most teams and there are number 2 guys who get on average 5 to 6 receptios a game but those guys come from the Colts and Cardinals and Patriots of the league. 5 receptions a game over a 16 game season would put Harvin at 80 receptions. If you bump it up to 6 receptions a game that would be 96 receptions on the season. On average about 15 WR's catch 80 passes on the year playing full time out of the WR spot. D. Jackson who played as an every down WR last season and played phenominal as a rookie wr caught 62 balls for 912 yards with 2 TD's to go along with 17 rush attempts for 96 yards and 1 TD. Jackson had 1008 total yards last season with 3 total TDs. Could Harvin be the Jackson if this year? Maybe, but my bet is he will struggle to get to 50 receptions as a rookie. I think a safe and realistic projection for Harvin in the minny offense would be this...2.8 catches per game which is 46 catches at 12.6 YPC (which is even high considering I think most of his catches will come out of the slot) would be 579.6 yards with 1 TD.32 rush attempts at 5.5 ypc would be 176 yards, with 1 TDTotal: 579 recieving yards 176 rushing yards 755 total yards 2 total TD'sHe will be a spot starter at best. If he keeps his head on straight the sky is the limit with this guy though.

Just Win Baby said:
two_dollars said:
Strongly agree with all of this, although personally I see Harvin putting up higher ypr averages (14-15) and ypc averages (5-6)... and significantly fewer than 10 touches from scrimmage per game. More like 6-7 touches per game (~60 rushes and 40-50 receptions on the year), with a bit of upside on those numbers depending on how things shake out.

Just Win Baby said:
two_dollars said:
First off thanks for posting.I think people need to take a deep breath and start putting these numbers into context.....If Harvin was to catch on average 5 to 6 receptions a game that would be really good numbers for an every down WR who is the number 1 option on most teams and there are number 2 guys who get on average 5 to 6 receptios a game but those guys come from the Colts and Cardinals and Patriots of the league. 5 receptions a game over a 16 game season would put Harvin at 80 receptions. If you bump it up to 6 receptions a game that would be 96 receptions on the season. On average about 15 WR's catch 80 passes on the year playing full time out of the WR spot. D. Jackson who played as an every down WR last season and played phenominal as a rookie wr caught 62 balls for 912 yards with 2 TD's to go along with 17 rush attempts for 96 yards and 1 TD. Jackson had 1008 total yards last season with 3 total TDs. Could Harvin be the Jackson if this year? Maybe, but my bet is he will struggle to get to 50 receptions as a rookie. I think a safe and realistic projection for Harvin in the minny offense would be this...2.8 catches per game which is 46 catches at 12.6 YPC (which is even high considering I think most of his catches will come out of the slot) would be 579.6 yards with 1 TD.32 rush attempts at 5.5 ypc would be 176 yards, with 1 TDTotal: 579 recieving yards 176 rushing yards 755 total yards 2 total TD'sHe will be a spot starter at best. If he keeps his head on straight the sky is the limit with this guy though.
Just to be clear, I responded to someone else who suggested he'd get 10-12 touches per game but said he wasn't sure what kind of numbers that would yield. 10 touches per game wasn't my number. However, working out the numbers, I think it's clear that he can reach 1000/8, the numbers you questioned me on, with far fewer than 10 touches per game. He probably needs only 6-7 touches per game to do that, in line with SSOG's post above.You are projecting fewer than 5 touches from scrimmage per game for Harvin. I think you're pretty far off base on that and on your 2 TD prediction. And probably your yards per reception projection as well.

I have Harvin at 4.8 touches per game.... If his touches per game is higher than 5, it would be due to Harvin getting more rushing attempts as opposed to recieving the ball.

Also, I am of the belief that Harvin is going to line up as a slot reciever or primarily as guy that works underneath stuff with screen and check downs etc. Therefore his YPC will be hard pressed to be up higher than 13. In relation to other very good WR's that work a lot of underneath stuff and screens and check down stuff that is a pretty good number.

For instance, Boldin 11.7 ypc, Welker 10.5 ypc, A. Gonzalez 11. 6 ypc, Houshy 9.8, Royal 10.8, Ward 12.9, Cotchery 12.1, Moore 11.7, Mason 13

Minny already has the go deep burner in Berrian who averaged 20.1 ypc. So unless Harvin is turning many of his underneath stuff into long gains it will be tough for him this season to have a high YPC.

The Hype Continues .... Peter King's MMQ Column ...

"11:45 a.m., Thursday (Minnesota Vikings camp, Mankato, Minn.): I came here expecting to see the fastest man in the NFL, Percy Harvin, ripping up Vikings camp. And I did see an incredibly gifted player, Harvin, getting coached very hard because the Vikings want him ready to play a big role on opening day 2009, not opening day 2010. But after seeing Adrian Peterson sprint around left end on an early-practice reverse like he'd just taken the baton in the Olympic 400-meter relay, I didn't know who was faster. Especially on the fast track of the Metrodome, I have no idea how teams are going to defend the Vikings when Peterson and Harvin are on the field together.

"Yesterday,"' Peterson told me with a laugh after practice, "I went up to Percy after practice when he was doing an interview with some press guys. I stood in the back and said, "My Harvin, Mr. Harvin, who do you think is faster, you or Adrian Peterson?''

This is what I wrote in my postcard from Minnesota training camp about a play I saw Harvin make: Harvin, split wide right outside the numbers, versus cornerback Marcus Walker, playing inches across the line from him, planning to get a bump on Harvin in the five-yard bump zone to knock him off his route. Harvin juked almost imperceptibly left-right-left at the snap of the ball. Walker lunged at him but only got a piece of him as Harvin got outside Walker's left shoulder at the line. NFL corners, and highlight producers in TV stations across the country, are going to see a lot of this. Harvin is so quick off the line, then so fast, that if you give him a half-step and don't have a safety over the top for double-coverage help, the Vikings are going to throw a lot of deep touchdowns to this man. On this play, Walker never caught up, and the deep throw nestled cleanly in Harvin's arms. Touchdown.

I expect Harvin to have the opportunity to be the Offensive Rookie of the Year. He's too talented, and he has Peterson to take the pressure off him. And vice versa. "

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...l#ixzz0NlolElGK

Alright since the hype is in full bore what are people paying to get Harvin?

I sent Lynch, Devin Thomas, Scheffler and #1 for Pierre and Harvin

Yeah, I think Harvin could very well get more receptions than any Minn WR in the past five years and so so as a rookie. 58 receptions? Let's break it down:

Avg about 2 swing pass receptions per game = 32 catches

Avg about 1.25 intermediate (deep out, square in, slant) per game = 20 catches

Avg about 1 deep catch every three games = 5 catches

That's 57 catches right there. And really you have to remember that even if this projection seems too ambitious, consider he'll probably average 3-5 rushes per game (counting the swing passes or screens that could be scored as rushes if thrown behind the line of scrimmage). I think 50-60 touches is well within reach. 80 is possible if they really get inventive, execute well, and Harvin can deliver on them
Under Childress and Darrell Bevell (OC).

2006 - Targets

Bethel Johnson 9

Travis Taylor 87

Troy Williamson 76

2007 - Targets

Aundrae Allison 18

Bobby Wade 83

Sidney Rice 53

Troy Williamson 38

Visanthe Shiancoe 43

2008 - Targets

Aundrae Allison 22

Bernard Berrian 95

Bobby Wade 88

Sidney Rice 31

Visanthe Shiancoe 59
So, you are basically pointing out that they have not had a WR with near the ability of Harvin to work with in their time with the Vikings!
I'm pointing out Vikings WRs under Bevell and Childress wont surpass 100 looks in this offense, period.

The highlight of the afternoon practice, which was held in shorts and shells, was Sage Rosenfels’ 52-yard touchdown pass to Percy Harvin in an 11-on-11 drill. Harvin got behind cornerback Marcus Walker on the play. Harvin has made Walker’s life extremely difficult in this camp.

Minneapolis Star & Tribune

Like the hype continue

In my 14 team Dynasty I traded Domenik Hixon and Patrick Willis for Harvin and Keith Bulluck. We play with 2 D 3 LB and 2 DB, and my LB core is pretty strong as it is, so giving up Willis to get a guy like Harvin in a dynasty was a no brainer for me.

I dont see Harvin having the type of impact this year than a lot of you are leading to believe. Minn. is a run first team. How many looks do you seriously see Harvin getting if hes #2 WR? Max I'd say 70-80. He'll probably catch about 50-55% of those which is about 30-40 balls caught. He'll prob avg about 13-14 ypc. He wont be a goaline threat. Where is the value?
I don't see carries factored in here. Re: goal-line. He was already working in the goal-line package the day he hit the field in training camp.Are you just not reading the news & updates out of Vikings camp? Are you chalking up all of Childress' quotes to coach-speak? He's made it clear in no uncertain terms that Harvin is going to have the ball in his hands on a weekly basis.
He might just not see the logic of using a WR in a goal-line package when you have the best back in the league. I'm having a bit of trouble with that one myself. Why on earth would a coach sit the best back in the league for a rookie WR? Seriously, can you hear yourself?

I dont see Harvin having the type of impact this year than a lot of you are leading to believe. Minn. is a run first team. How many looks do you seriously see Harvin getting if hes #2 WR? Max I'd say 70-80. He'll probably catch about 50-55% of those which is about 30-40 balls caught. He'll prob avg about 13-14 ypc. He wont be a goaline threat. Where is the value?
I don't see carries factored in here. Re: goal-line. He was already working in the goal-line package the day he hit the field in training camp.Are you just not reading the news & updates out of Vikings camp? Are you chalking up all of Childress' quotes to coach-speak? He's made it clear in no uncertain terms that Harvin is going to have the ball in his hands on a weekly basis.
He might just not see the logic of using a WR in a goal-line package when you have the best back in the league. I'm having a bit of trouble with that one myself. Why on earth would a coach sit the best back in the league for a rookie WR? Seriously, can you hear yourself?
Nobody's talking about sitting the best back in the league. We're talking about a WR/RB who can play multiple roles at the goal-line.Also, check your history on Peterson's goal-line use. He was like 25th in the league in goal-line carries last season and often came out in favor of Chester Taylor.

look, no one doubts that harvin is skilled and will get the ball. but saying they're going to to give it to him on the goal line is maybe something they would get away with once. It won't be anything you can really count on, just like end-arounds and wildcat runs and reverses. So getting consistent value out of Harvin from a fantasy perspective is going to require him learning to be a route-based, full-time receiver. I'm just saying that might take a while given the system he's used to playing in. I'm not saying he's not super talented, just that he will have an abnormally high learning curve transitioning to a pro-style role, and that's what you're going to be able to count on week to week.

A note to those who wonder where Harvin's production will come from, the 2008 Vikings were

11th in total plays

12th in the league in total points

17th in total yards

18th in first downs.

Adding a very skilled player can simply increase the offenses effectiveness without necessarily taking many touches away from anyone else.

If Harvin is effective

AP will benefit a small amount

Berrian stays the same

Taylor gets knocked down

#2/#3 WR gets knocked down

T Jax goes way up into top 15 QB range.

ceo3west said:
A note to those who wonder where Harvin's production will come from, the 2008 Vikings were

11th in total plays

12th in the league in total points

17th in total yards

18th in first downs.

Adding a very skilled player can simply increase the offenses effectiveness without necessarily taking many touches away from anyone else.

If Harvin is effective

AP will benefit a small amount

Berrian stays the same

Taylor gets knocked down

#2/#3 WR gets knocked down

T Jax Rosenfels goes way up into top 15 QB range.
TJax's value goes up because of his scrambling ability, having Harvin and Berrian could pull both safeties out of the way and he could see an additional 10-20 yards a game rushing because of it.

Maven said:
Will Percy Harvin have a better rookie year than Calvin Johnson's?
I'm beginning to think so. 808 yds and 5 TDs shouldn't be that out of range. Now, will he match Calvin's year 2: 1330 and 12? Not a chance. We all keep trying to fit Harvin into some mold. Is he DeSean Jackson like? Peter Warrick? Devin Hester? Ted Ginn? I'm not a fan of any of these comparisons. Calvin Johnson isn't a good comparison either. Is Joey Galloway a good comparison? Burner speed, both 5'11" and 190 to 195 lbs. Galloway posted 1193 total yds and 8 TDs his rookie year with Rick Mirer at QB. It's hard for me to remember exactly how Galloway was used in college, but here are his stats: Junior Year: 47/946/11 receivingSenior Year: 44/669/7Galloway also returned punts for Seattle, returning 36 for 360 yds and 1 TD as a rookie. Harvin is going to return punts, no? Anyone have a better comparison than Galloway?

Maven said:
Will Percy Harvin have a better rookie year than Calvin Johnson's?
I'm beginning to think so. 808 yds and 5 TDs shouldn't be that out of range. Now, will he match Calvin's year 2: 1330 and 12? Not a chance. We all keep trying to fit Harvin into some mold. Is he DeSean Jackson like? Peter Warrick? Devin Hester? Ted Ginn? I'm not a fan of any of these comparisons. Calvin Johnson isn't a good comparison either. Is Joey Galloway a good comparison? Burner speed, both 5'11" and 190 to 195 lbs. Galloway posted 1193 total yds and 8 TDs his rookie year with Rick Mirer at QB. It's hard for me to remember exactly how Galloway was used in college, but here are his stats: Junior Year: 47/946/11 receivingSenior Year: 44/669/7Galloway also returned punts for Seattle, returning 36 for 360 yds and 1 TD as a rookie. Harvin is going to return punts, no? Anyone have a better comparison than Galloway?
Reggie Bush

What happens if Peterson goes down with an injury? Does Harvin explode or does the offense implode?

What happens if Peterson goes down with an injury? Does Harvin explode or does the offense implode?
Chester becomes the starting RB and the offense keeps rolling.I like Harvin, but I think the RB aspect of his game has been exaggerated. IMO he's first and foremost a WR. My hope is that he becomes like a more explosive Wes Welker. A safety valve who can also get deep and hit home runs.I'm looking forward to seeing him on the field in the next few weeks. We'll see how much they decide to use him in the backfield, though they might not unveil their real plans for him until opening day.

Chester becomes the starting RB and the offense keeps rolling.I like Harvin, but I think the RB aspect of his game has been exaggerated. IMO he's first and foremost a WR. My hope is that he becomes like a more explosive Wes Welker. A safety valve who can also get deep and hit home runs.

I'm looking forward to seeing him on the field in the next few weeks. We'll see how much they decide to use him in the backfield, though they might not unveil their real plans for him until opening day.
I think I agree. I wonder if Taylor is just good enough to keep the other teams honest and the Vikings will be able to and need to rely more on Harvin's explosiveness and versatility.I like looking at how thinks might break for one of my potential players if something major occurs. I think the upside for Harvin is that he would not produce less with an injury to the major cog in his offense. I don't think I can say that for most players.

Where is he tonight? No sign looking at the box score.
Isnt this the third critical deadline Harvin has not been present for, like, the first spring practice, the rookie symposium (sick) and now the first game?Funny feeling his story is going to be "What could have been....." But whatever, he might be great as early as week 1.

Isnt this the third critical deadline Harvin has not been present for, like, the first spring practice, the rookie symposium (sick) and now the first game?Funny feeling his story is going to be "What could have been....." But whatever, he might be great as early as week 1.
Is the first preseason game a critical deadline?Harvin could have played. The Vikes just chose to use extreme caution.

Is the first preseason game a critical deadline?Harvin could have played. The Vikes just chose to use extreme caution.
I don't know if it's analogous, but I remember the Titans barely showing Chris Johnson in the pre-season last year because they knew what they had in him and didn't want the rest of the NFL to get wind of what a central part of their offense he would be. Now I know the WR position is more complex and Harvin needs some game experience but I'm just sayin'...

I don't know if it's analogous, but I remember the Titans barely showing Chris Johnson in the pre-season last year because they knew what they had in him and didn't want the rest of the NFL to get wind of what a central part of their offense he would be. Now I know the WR position is more complex and Harvin needs some game experience but I'm just sayin'...
The Cards also downplayed Boldin's role in the offense during preseason his rookie year.

Fear & Loathing said:
OK, it's up and running at Rotoworld. Here's this year's version of the Adrian Peterson/Chris Johnson hype train a/k/a love letter to Percy Harvin.
Hi Fear and Loathing, i'm new to the FBGs community. i appreciate your thread and blog, tho; i've been reading your articles over the summer during my dynasty start up. i recently traded for harvin. i wanna get down to some projections and figure out if he will be a legit WR3 in PPR format, or if he's really only a bye-week fill in as a WR4/5. I just don't buy the talk that Childress is too stupid to use Harvin effectively. then why did he draft harvin in the first round? Childress knows his job is on the line and that he probably should've been fired last year. as such my numbers are high, and they are too high for you, then i know i've got a problem because i know you are the conductor on this hype train!

Minnesota rushing stats last year:

Peterson 363
Taylor 101
Tjax 23
Frerotte 19
Berrian 4
Duggan 4 = total 514464 rushes from RB1 and 2. I'm estimating Harvin will average about 5 carries per game. not at the expense of peterson, but chester taylor. while taylor will still be the nominal 3rd down back because i'm sure he's a better blocker than percy, i still think harvin will get SOME carries on first and second down. 5 per game is nothing. i expect the vikings to use Harvin to limit Peterson's touches SOMEWHAT in order to prolong his career. he won't last too many years in the NFL going over 370 rushes (363 + 20 in the playoffs). AP will still get a healthy dose of 350 rushes (about 22 avg. per game).

Peterson 350
Harvin 75
Taylor 75 = 500 total, plus a handful of QB scrambles/kneel-downs and FB dives.Reasonable? or too many for the team as a whole?

I also predict Harvin to average 4 receptions per game, so around 64 for the year. Waldman had this to say:

Avg about 2 swing pass receptions per game = 32 catches

Avg about 1.25 intermediate (deep out, square in, slant) per game = 20 catches

Avg about 1 deep catch every three games = 5 catches
57 receptions. he's being conservative. Reggie Bush had 88 catches his rookie year, and Harvin is both a better RB and better WR than Bush. again, reasonable or overly ambitious?

What i'm not so sure about is what Harvin will average per reception. I'm fairly confident he'll be able to maintain 5.0 YPC on rushes, but for his receptions will he be in the 8-10 YPR like many other running backs, or 10+ like WRs? even the excellent brian westrbook only averaged 10.1 yards per reception in his best year. eddie royal averaged 9.9 per reception last year. can harvin go over 10?

so to sum it up:

5 carries x 5.0 ypc = 25 yards rushing

4 receptions x 10.0 ypr = 40 yards receiving

8 TDs so 3 points per game on average

=an average of about 13.5 points per game, with potential for those monster games of 100+ yards from scrimmage and a TD or two. totals for the year would be about 75-80 rushes, 60-64 receptions, 375-400 yards rushing, 640 yards receiving and 8 TDs.

on Rotoworld you suggest more conservative numbers of 92 rushes (5.75 per game) and 38 receptions (about 2.4 per game) and 900 combined yards on the year with 8 TDs. IMO these would be better suited to a WR4/bye-week fill in player, as they come out to about 10-11 points per game.

TIA.

The Cards also downplayed Boldin's role in the offense during preseason his rookie year.
Ummm, OK well that may make sense of the team wasn't broadcasting how good they thought he was every chance they got... according to this thread anyway.

Berrian's injury just raised Harvin's stock a ton. They haven't said anything, but they haven't said he is ok. The only thing we have so far is Berrian's tweet that says: "I'll be okay in due time." Which doesn't sound too promising.

I dont think the single event being a critical deadline was my point. However, this is your Pro career son, why wouldnt every single opportunity be critical for a rookie being paid millions of dollars.. Actually now looking at it, Percy Harvin has missed every deadline so far in his very short career, all this after having his attitude/issues from Florida. a) He missed the first spring practice (sick or missed flight, not sure i remember) b)The rookie symposium (sick)c) The first Training Camp practices, yes the live ones (due to his "holdout"...Tell me, why would this guy, of all guys, hold out even if for one hour?) d) He misses the first preseason game (injured. seems valid, but trend is disturbing) Sidney Rice doesn't seem ready yet, so I guess Bernard Berrian is the value play here --when healthy. Unless, of course, Harvin shows up. Then i do think he'll be pretty good. Just sayin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread