What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about Orton now? (1 Viewer)

He looks really good when he throws to Mashall and let's him dodge guys and go down and score a TD.

He's become a rather solid week to week starter. Tacked on 243 yards and 2 TD, again largely aided by the Marshall TD catch & run but all that matters are the final numbers.

4 games, no ints.

Although i am very concerned with his accuracy. Orton looked pretty terrible in 1st half today - he looked better as the game went on, but he had some pretty terrible misses.

I really hope that this gets under better control as that finger continues to heal.

4 games, no ints.

Although i am very concerned with his accuracy. Orton looked pretty terrible in 1st half today - he looked better as the game went on, but he had some pretty terrible misses.

I really hope that this gets under better control as that finger continues to heal.
No. No it won't. :coffee:

just for fun, here's Cassel's #s from the start of last year:

Opp Result Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate Y/A@ NYJ W 19-10 16 23 69.60% 165 0 0 89.9 7.17 MIA L 13-38 19 31 61.30% 131 1 1 68.1 4.23@ SFO W 30-21 22 32 68.80% 259 1 2 77.5 8.09@ SDG L 10-30 22 38 57.90% 203 0 1 61.6 5.34 DEN W 41-7 18 24 75.00% 185 3 0 136.3 7.71 STL W 23-16 21 33 63.60% 267 1 2 73.7 8.09@ IND L 15-18 25 34 73.50% 204 0 1 76.1 6one big game vs a terrible Den D, and a whole bunch of not very good outings.After the indy game, here's what happened:

Opp Result Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate Y/A BUF W 20-10 22 32 68.80% 234 0 0 89.8 7.31 NYJ L 31-34 30 51 58.80% 400 3 0 103.4 7.84@ MIA W 48-28 30 43 69.80% 415 3 1 114 9.65 PIT L 10-33 19 39 48.70% 169 0 2 39.4 4.33@ SEA W 24-21 26 44 59.10% 268 1 0 84.3 6.09@ OAK W 49-26 18 30 60.00% 218 4 1 108.1 7.27 ARI W 47-7 20 36 55.60% 345 3 0 116.1 9.58@ BUF W 13-0 6 8 75.00% 78 0 0 105.2 9.75much, much better down the stretch, minus the terrible game vs an outstanding Pitt D.What this tells me is that it can take a while for a QB to fully grasp McD's offense. pre-season work doesn't help that much - it's all about seeing what happens in games and making the correct pre-snap reads. Corrections have to be made, bugs have to be worked out, it takes some time.

Couple the learning curve with the lacerated finger, and we should have expected Orton to struggle early. The fact that he isn't playing all that well but still putting up decent numbers is very encouraging, I've said in several posts already - this O looks like it is still a work in progress. Not all the pieces are fitting in and they are trying to find their way. Once the O gets tuned up and Orton is in sync, I think this O can match the D. At that point, Denver will be challenging SD for the division title.

4 games, no ints.

No. No it won't. :mellow:
Oddly, he looked extremely accurate today. In 48 passes thrown, I don't remember a single one where I thought he was terribly inaccurate. Granted, he rarely threw >15 yards down the field - only a few shots the whole game and he missed on all of these, but if the Denver O can live in the short yardage game, I think Orton will be wildly successful.

ETA: for anyone keeping track, the int today was on a hail mary at the end of the 1st half - Moss made the catch. So 5 games and 0 meaningful turnovers.

Last edited by a moderator:
4 games, no ints.

He had like a 70-75% completion rate today. I don't think you need to worry anymore.

He also had the glove taken off his injured finger hand for the first time today so I think it's a good indication of how much the glove effected Orton's accuracy as opposed to his real talent level.

4 games, no ints.

He had like a 70-75% completion rate today. I don't think you need to worry anymore.
see post above. I am no longer worried about his accuracy in the short game. He looked fantastic.

4 games, no ints.

No. No it won't. :thumbup:
Oddly, he looked extremely accurate today. In 48 passes thrown, I don't remember a single one where I thought he was terribly inaccurate.
The last throw to Marshall was terrible and the game was on the line. He threw it right to Springs and Marshall had to play defense to prevent the pick. Good thing Marshall was a great DB in college. :rolleyes: I love what Orton is doing, but he isn't perfect. At least he didn't choke on a game winning TD pass like Brady did to Welker before the OT.

Orton >> Brady :mellow:

I'll eat Hat. He is doing very well, better then I expected... Denver is doing WAY better.. Ill eat hat all around. I was completely wrong about Denver and Orton.

I am a Purdue fan so I am biased. I have not seen him play yet this season so all I am looking at are stats. With a big time WR like Marshal and a good running game I believe he should do well this season. He is exceeding my expectations right now along with the team's success.

IMO...I think Chicago should not have made that trade. I don't remember what they gave up, but I believe they would have been better off bringing in a WR.

Orton looked poised and confident today, and Royal and Marshall seem to be getting to know the system more, which will only benefit Orton.

I am a Purdue fan so I am biased. I have not seen him play yet this season so all I am looking at are stats. With a big time WR like Marshal and a good running game I believe he should do well this season. He is exceeding my expectations right now along with the team's success. IMO...I think Chicago should not have made that trade. I don't remember what they gave up, but I believe they would have been better off bringing in a WR.
Come on now. I can't believe the Broncos are doing what they are doing, but good for them. The trade has benefited both teams. Chicago absolutely should have made that trade and are better because of it. I still am not a fan of Orton, but he wins.

As good as this Denver team is right now, it's all on the defense. Imagine how good this team would be if they still had Cutler.

In Denver's losses last year, they gave up 33, 24, 41, 26, 31, 30, 30, and 52 points.

This year, Denver's offense has scored 12, 27, 23, 17, and 20 points.

Last year, New England put up 41 points on Denver without Brady. This year with Brady, 17.

Last year, Cleveland put up 30 points on Denver. This year, 6.

Last year, Oakland put up 14 and 30 points on Denver. This year, 3.

With last year's offense and this year's defense, this Denver team would be nearly unbeatable.

Orton looked poised and confident today, and Royal and Marshall seem to be getting to know the system more, which will only benefit Orton.
Wonder how much it had to do with taking the glove off? He looked great today. He had a lot of air on his passes and he was very accurate.

FreeBaGeL said:
As good as this Denver team is right now, it's all on the defense. Imagine how good this team would be if they still had Cutler.

In Denver's losses last year, they gave up 33, 24, 41, 26, 31, 30, 30, and 52 points.

This year, Denver's offense has scored 12, 27, 23, 17, and 20 points.

Last year, New England put up 41 points on Denver without Brady. This year with Brady, 17.

Last year, Cleveland put up 30 points on Denver. This year, 6.

Last year, Oakland put up 14 and 30 points on Denver. This year, 3.

With last year's offense and this year's defense, this Denver team would be nearly unbeatable.
This year so far they ARE unbeatable.

Just one game. But it was one game that probably no one (maybe Switz) saw coming.

Against a very good patriot defense who is familiar with the offense run by McDaniels and Denver.

Orton:

35-48

330 yards

2 TDs

He commanded a 98 Yard TD drive late in the 4th to tie the game and cap a 10-point 4th quarter comeback.

His only turnover on the year is an INT by Randy Moss on a Hail Mary pass to end the half yesterday.

some selected quotes from Orton post-game:

On not wearing a glove on his throwing hand during the game after wearing one the first four weeks of the season

I am so happy to be done with it and have all that stuff behind me. I was able to throw the ball with a lot of confidence and throw the way that I wanted it. It was great.
On McDaniels comment that he didn't misread the defense all day
I am going to go back and see. It certainly felt like this was the best I have seen the field and the most prepared I have been. (I was) able to take the game plan and actually execute it the best. I should, and it should be the same next week and the week after. The more I am in this system, the more comfortable I should be, along with everyone else.
On why he is more comfortable with the offense
Offensively, we want to play well every week, but it is still a process. Everybody is learning and everybody is learning to play together. There is a new situation that comes up in each game, and we can go back and look through it. Hopefully, we will be a better offense next week than we were this week and I will be a better quarterback.
like I said earlier - things are only getting better, and this O is starting to come together. Good things for Orton in the future.

He says the team is not at all surprised at being 5-0. :thumbup: Yeah right.

It's about time they realized Marshall, Royal and Scheffler are good players.

Nolan should be the MVP before this game. The defense gave them time to come together.

I really liked Orton's quote when they asked him how it felt for him to beat Brady & New England. He said something to the effect that "He didn't beat them, the Denver Broncos beat them."

And that's a reason why he's underappreciated, I think. He's a team guy, and he may not have the prettiest passes, but he's a solid teammate. And to have a non-diva QB isn't exactly common.

I really liked Orton's quote when they asked him how it felt for him to beat Brady & New England. He said something to the effect that "He didn't beat them, the Denver Broncos beat them."And that's a reason why he's underappreciated, I think. He's a team guy, and he may not have the prettiest passes, but he's a solid teammate. And to have a non-diva QB isn't exactly common.
I didn't see that, but I think that shows one reason why Urlacher was so disappointed to see him traded from the Bears.

He says the team is not at all surprised at being 5-0. :shrug: Yeah right.
Team attitude down? Most good teams believe they can go 16-0 until the results say otherwise. How many teams do you hear say, "We expect to be 7-9 and wholeheartedly believe that at best, we'll be 8-8."?

I really liked Orton's quote when they asked him how it felt for him to beat Brady & New England. He said something to the effect that "He didn't beat them, the Denver Broncos beat them."And that's a reason why he's underappreciated, I think. He's a team guy, and he may not have the prettiest passes, but he's a solid teammate. And to have a non-diva QB isn't exactly common.
I didn't see that, but I think that shows one reason why Urlacher was so disappointed to see him traded from the Bears.
It was a live interview on SNF. I thought he'd be serviceable or a bit better for them, and he's showing to be just that.

ETA: for anyone keeping track, the int today was on a hail mary at the end of the 1st half - Moss made the catch. So 5 games and 0 meaningful turnovers.
I don't mean to take anything away from the "0 meaningful turnovers" stat, but I cannot recall seeing anybody be so lucky to avoid interceptions. Everybody has seen the highlights of the Bengals tip and Marshall's grab over the Cowboys defender. In the Pats game, there was the Marshall playing defender play that someone already mentioned, but even more aggregious were two tipped balls that easily could have been INTs. One Marshall smartly batted down and one ended up in the hands of a Bronco receiver (IIRC it was Gaffney).

Orton is a great team guy. He has been very lucky to be on teams that are very good in the other two phases of the game. He generally is a very safe decision maker (sometimes to a fault) who generally is very aware of his limitations. He can be very accurate in stretches but can throw some very off target throws as well.

The little of him I have seen this year tells me he has been working pretty hard with McDaniel to get better and is more consistent than with the Bears who don't groom QB's at all if you never noticed. As a Bears fan, I wish him the best.

You can beat Orton by collapsing the pocket on him. Do that and he will dump it off, or take the sack.
Well, fortunately, he is now playing behind a much better offensive line than he had in Chicago, so he shouldn't face that situation nearly as often.From a fantasy perspective, if Orton wins the job and stays healthy, I think there is little doubt he will be above average. Last season, Denver attempted 620 passes. McDaniel's offense attempted 534. Denver's defense will presumably still be weak, so I'll project 550 passing attempts. Last season, Orton averaged 6.4 ypa and had a 3.9% TD percentage and 2.6% interception percentage. Just carrying those numbers over, with 550 attempts, he'd throw for 3520 yards, 21 TDs, and 14 interceptions. But those numbers don't reflect better offensive coaching and playcalling, better OL, and/or better targets. And it uses numbers that were hurt when he played hurt, which we don't know he will have to do this season. I think he could easily throw for 3700 yards and 25 TDs.

Now, granted, there are some ifs and suppositions in there, but I think the upside potential is there.
Brilliant post. Amazing value QBs like this are so easy to pick out. (My QBs last year were rodgers and cutler)

I find it so funny that the myth of orton's weak arm still remains. It is based on the bears using him as a game manager during his rookie season. When he had one of the best defenses in the league on the other side of the ball. LOL.

Orton is my guy this year. Nothing makes me happier than hearing people talk about his weak arm..

"No look you don't understand he's not as good as favre because he doesn't make risky throws off his back foot" LOL this thread is gold.
:goodposting: thanks brainwashed people that either don't watch games or somehow can't understand why not much should have been expected of a rookie project qb on an extremely conservative offense. hopefully the stigma of his rookie season is finally wearing off i feel bad for the guy.

You can beat Orton by collapsing the pocket on him. Do that and he will dump it off, or take the sack.
Well, fortunately, he is now playing behind a much better offensive line than he had in Chicago, so he shouldn't face that situation nearly as often.From a fantasy perspective, if Orton wins the job and stays healthy, I think there is little doubt he will be above average. Last season, Denver attempted 620 passes. McDaniel's offense attempted 534. Denver's defense will presumably still be weak, so I'll project 550 passing attempts. Last season, Orton averaged 6.4 ypa and had a 3.9% TD percentage and 2.6% interception percentage. Just carrying those numbers over, with 550 attempts, he'd throw for 3520 yards, 21 TDs, and 14 interceptions. But those numbers don't reflect better offensive coaching and playcalling, better OL, and/or better targets. And it uses numbers that were hurt when he played hurt, which we don't know he will have to do this season. I think he could easily throw for 3700 yards and 25 TDs.

Now, granted, there are some ifs and suppositions in there, but I think the upside potential is there.
Brilliant post. Amazing value QBs like this are so easy to pick out. (My QBs last year were rodgers and cutler)

I find it so funny that the myth of orton's weak arm still remains. It is based on the bears using him as a game manager during his rookie season. When he had one of the best defenses in the league on the other side of the ball. LOL.

Orton is my guy this year. Nothing makes me happier than hearing people talk about his weak arm..

"No look you don't understand he's not as good as favre because he doesn't make risky throws off his back foot" LOL this thread is gold.
:lmao: thanks brainwashed people that either don't watch games or somehow can't understand why not much should have been expected of a rookie project qb on an extremely conservative offense. hopefully the stigma of his rookie season is finally wearing off i feel bad for the guy.
Except that he still has a very inconsistent arm on deep passes. Not that he can't throw it 40 yards. It is just that he can't often do it with any accuracy.

looks like he's got a chance to make it 6-3 over cutler.
A silly way to look at it. You would be hard pressed to find a Bears fan who wouldn't make that trade again in a heartbeat.
Must not be a very intelligent fanbase...Teams are built through the draft. They aren't built through trading away your future for expensive high-profile players with a history of immaturity and selfishness.

Very happy for Orton. He won many games for us too...wish him all the best. But I will make that Cutler trade every single day. Orton has a very good OL, very good run game, very good weapons at Wr and TE and a very good D....that does make it easier to win with.

Very happy for Orton. He won many games for us too...wish him all the best. But I will make that Cutler trade every single day. Orton has a very good OL, very good run game, very good weapons at Wr and TE and a very good D....that does make it easier to win with.
Oh right... those important pieces... that most teams fill in with their high draft picks...

Oh right... those important pieces... that most teams fill in with their high draft picks...
Funny, last year the Bears had just as many wins at this point in the season with Orton at QB. But the Broncos were not winning as much with Culter at QB.Last year it was Denver's D to blame, now it's Cutler doesn't have offensive weapons. :goodposting:

Funny, last year the Bears had just as many wins at this point in the season with Orton at QB. But the Broncos were not winning as much with Culter at QB.Last year it was Denver's D to blame, now it's Cutler doesn't have offensive weapons. :rolleyes:
I know you're a big Orton guy & I will admit he's played well. Denver looks great but I hope you see that Mike Nolan has made a huge difference on Defense compared to last year.

Funny, last year the Bears had just as many wins at this point in the season with Orton at QB. But the Broncos were not winning as much with Culter at QB.Last year it was Denver's D to blame, now it's Cutler doesn't have offensive weapons. :shock:
I know you're a big Orton guy & I will admit he's played well. Denver looks great but I hope you see that Mike Nolan has made a huge difference on Defense compared to last year.
There were two special teams touchdowns and the Denver defense was incredible after the first quarter. Orton had very little to do with the win last night. He's been okay but why proclaim him a "winner" after a game in which he wasn't much of a factor? He's not turning it over and is making the short passing game work. That fits this type of team. But Denver is winning games because their defense has been amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread