What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ask a zookeeper (1 Viewer)

Honest question that myself and a few friends have spent HOURS talking (read: arguing) about, I would love your input on:Who would win in a fight, a Hippo or a Polar Bear?we have even talked it down to location being a factor, so to take that out of the equation, we added a neutral playing field: A COLD swamp.I am on pins a needles waiting for your input on this!
I'd go Hippo...but I'm not a zookeeper.

Honest question that myself and a few friends have spent HOURS talking (read: arguing) about, I would love your input on:Who would win in a fight, a Hippo or a Polar Bear?we have even talked it down to location being a factor, so to take that out of the equation, we added a neutral playing field: A COLD swamp.I am on pins a needles waiting for your input on this!
I don't think there would be a winner here. Pretty sure both of these animals would just eventually give up. If I *have* to pick one I'd go with polar bear just because they make their living killing fat mammals that aren't very agile on land. Although if it's in a swamp, and the water is deep enough for the hippo to submerge, then I may have to pick the hippo.

Honest question that myself and a few friends have spent HOURS talking (read: arguing) about, I would love your input on:

Who would win in a fight, a Hippo or a Polar Bear?

we have even talked it down to location being a factor, so to take that out of the equation, we added a neutral playing field: A COLD swamp.

I am on pins a needles waiting for your input on this!
Easy. Hippo.7000lbs. 11ft long. 2.5" thick hide. Foot long tusks. 4+ ft. mouth span. 5000 psi bite.

Polar Bear: 1500lbs. 3500psi bite.

No contest.

Hippo gets mildly annoyed with 8 lions

Last edited by a moderator:
Honest question that myself and a few friends have spent HOURS talking (read: arguing) about, I would love your input on:

we have even talked it down to location being a factor, so to take that out of the equation, we added a neutral playing field: A COLD swamp.

Easy. Hippo.7000lbs. 11ft long. 2.5" thick hide. Foot long tusks. 4+ ft. mouth span. 5000 psi bite.

No contest.

:thumbup:

Reminds of this ridiculous video I once saw. Do yourself a favor and watch the whole thing. Literally unbelievable. One of the best videos I've ever seen.

No contest.

For every one that survives there's one of

No contest.

I'd like to see them try that with a big old aggressive male.

Ouch.

Serious question: years ago I saw a King Cobra (in the Bangkok Snake Farm) that clearly hated the keeper (who milked that snake for the venom.) Anyways, how often do you have negative personal situations between keepers and animals? Any good laughs in there?

No contest.

I'm not expert, but I would think that a female defending her calf would be just as dangerous as any aggresive, solo bull.

Why do the Hippos in all the videos just sit down when Lions are jumping and clawing on their backs? If these things can boogie why don't they? I don't get it.

If I walked up behind a Hippo and pawed or bit it on the rump would it just plop down?

This leads me to the all important question, could I ride a Hippo?

Would depend on where they fought. Gorillas are smart enough to fashion rudimentary weapons like spears and they are great at throwing things. Given enough time and the right environment, a Gorilla could have a chance.
Have you ever heard stories about Silverbacks actually dismantling poachers traps, to make sure their pack would get by safely? No idea if its true or not.
Bumpty bump----------------------Another myth I have no clue about:Leopards are expert monkey/people killers? They're supposedly able to take out an entire troop in a matter of seconds... It bites you in the head and claws the abdomen, spilling your guts. Then instantly jumps to the next unlucky sob.Fact or fiction?

Would depend on where they fought. Gorillas are smart enough to fashion rudimentary weapons like spears and they are great at throwing things. Given enough time and the right environment, a Gorilla could have a chance.
Have you ever heard stories about Silverbacks actually dismantling poachers traps, to make sure their pack would get by safely? No idea if its true or not.
Bumpty bump----------------------Another myth I have no clue about:Leopards are expert monkey/people killers? They're supposedly able to take out an entire troop in a matter of seconds... It bites you in the head and claws the abdomen, spilling your guts. Then instantly jumps to the next unlucky sob.Fact or fiction?
Fiction, I could kick a leopards ###.

No contest.

I'm no expert either and I'm not sure about this, but I think its only males who defend the Hippo territory. They are the ones to avoid, but I agree it would seem natural that the cow would defend her calf. Maybe it was weakened before the lions got to it or something?

Why do the Hippos in all the videos just sit down when Lions are jumping and clawing on their backs? If these things can boogie why don't they? I don't get it. If I walked up behind a Hippo and pawed or bit it on the rump would it just plop down?This leads me to the all important question, could I ride a Hippo?
if anyone could, you could

Why do the Hippos in all the videos just sit down when Lions are jumping and clawing on their backs? If these things can boogie why don't they? I don't get it. If I walked up behind a Hippo and pawed or bit it on the rump would it just plop down?This leads me to the all important question, could I ride a Hippo?
If I could have anyone ride that hippo with me, it would be you Deeples.

it would be a sweet end to the FFA movieafter you and I call a cornhole and gun everyone down in a hail of bulets, we ride off into the sunset on a hipporight across his ### come up the words The Endfade to black

it would be a sweet end to the FFA movieafter you and I call a cornhole and gun everyone down in a hail of bulets, we ride off into the sunset on a hipporight across his ### come up the words The Endfade to black
I think I actually wrote the intro to the FFA movie script at some point. I would love that ending though.

Why do the Hippos in all the videos just sit down when Lions are jumping and clawing on their backs? If these things can boogie why don't they? I don't get it.

If I walked up behind a Hippo and pawed or bit it on the rump would it just plop down?

This leads me to the all important question, could I ride a Hippo?
it would be a sweet end to the FFA movieafter you and I call a cornhole and gun everyone down in a hail of bulets, we ride off into the sunset on a hippo

right across his ### come up the words The End

fade to black
I think I actually wrote the intro to the FFA movie script at some point. I would love that ending though.
LinkClearly there would be some write-ins of the latest Ham debacle.

Ouch.Serious question: years ago I saw a King Cobra (in the Bangkok Snake Farm) that clearly hated the keeper (who milked that snake for the venom.) Anyways, how often do you have negative personal situations between keepers and animals? Any good laughs in there?
Well no snake is going to really liked being milked. Not sure what you mean by personal situations but yea there is some negative stuff that happens. See my story about Leonel the gorilla from earlier in the thread.

GRÖFAZ said:
I haven't heard of a "myth" about that but they do prey on Rhesus Monkeys and baboons

Which animal smells the worst? And not their dung. Just their natural scent.
Carnivores like Tigers and Lions are pretty foul. It smells like death in those indoor holding areas.
Love this thread... and im still catching up, so if it's been asked i apologize.Can you described what the holding areas that we dont get to see look like? I always wondered about that as a kid. Particularly the Polar Bear caves.

Pound for pound, which animal is the toughest/fiercest? For example if a raccoon was the size of a bear, could the raccoon win in a fight? (Lets assume all the animals would be hungry/in the mood to fight). My personal pick would be a wolverine or polar bear.ETA: Take venomous animals out of the equation...i'm looking more along the lines of who'd win in a scrap...If a gorilla starts attacking a zookeeper, what is the standard protocol for the other keepers as well as the guy being attacked?
In my absolutely unqualified opinion...I'd say either the Game C#%K or the Pit Bull. The reason being is that these animals are bred to fight because they want to, where as other animals generally fight for food, survival or status. but I could be completely wrong here.

What lizard makes the best pet? Assuming that you have the discipline, money and space to provide for it properly.

What lizard makes the best pet? Assuming that you have the discipline, money and space to provide for it properly.
If you are a newby herpetologist then I would go with something like a leopard gecko or bearded dragon. I personally think bearded dragons are more fun. Both of these require specific conditions in their terrarium though to do well, so they are great for teaching beginners about the specific needs of reptile\amphibian needs. I'd also avoid getting it from a petstore megachain like petco or petsmart.

As a zookeeper...how do you feel about the Circus?

More to the point...do they treat the animals (horses, tigers, elephants) well?

What one species do you wish your zoo would add?
I would love to work with Okapi. They are super expensive and rare though.
Why the attraction to okapi? Do they do tricks?
They aren't super intelligent, but they are the only living relative of the giraffe. They were discovered in 1901 so we still don't know a lot about the wild population. They only live in a small section of the Ituri Forest in the Democratic Republic of Congo.I just find them fascinating.
I believe they have some at the L.A. Zoo. Went there on Father's Day last year and saw them. Also saw Tortoisi humping, a Mandrill male poking his finger into two females' butts, a Red Tailed Hawk eating an earless rabbit head, and some other mammals humping, can't remember which.

Why no love for Petco or Petsmart? I'm not defending them, BTW, just looking for some elaboration.
I'm fine with buying food\supplies there but I wouldn't buy any live animals. It's just a personal opinion. I feel that the animals there aren't taken the best care of and aren't from a great source in the first place. I would rather buy an animal like a reptile or bird from a well reviewed breeder than a megachain.

Arch Stanton said:
What one species do you wish your zoo would add?
I would love to work with Okapi. They are super expensive and rare though.
Why the attraction to okapi? Do they do tricks?
They aren't super intelligent, but they are the only living relative of the giraffe. They were discovered in 1901 so we still don't know a lot about the wild population. They only live in a small section of the Ituri Forest in the Democratic Republic of Congo.I just find them fascinating.
I believe they have some at the L.A. Zoo. Went there on Father's Day last year and saw them. Also saw Tortoisi humping, a Mandrill male poking his finger into two females' butts, a Red Tailed Hawk eating an earless rabbit head, and some other mammals humping, can't remember which.
sounds like a solid day at the zoo to me.

valence said:
GRÖFAZ said:
If you are a newby herpetologist then I would go with something like a leopard gecko or bearded dragon. I personally think bearded dragons are more fun. Both of these require specific conditions in their terrarium though to do well, so they are great for teaching beginners about the specific needs of reptile\amphibian needs. I'd also avoid getting it from a petstore megachain like petco or petsmart.
Thanks! Bearded Dragons are pretty cool, do you need a small roach farm to feed a pair of dragons? Or would you just get the food from the store?

valence said:
GRÖFAZ said:
Thanks! Bearded Dragons are pretty cool, do you need a small roach farm to feed a pair of dragons? Or would you just get the food from the store?
Roaches would be a pain, especially if some escaped. If you were ambitious you could breed crickets, but I'd probably just get them at the store. Save some to feed live if you want and store the rest in container in the fridge or freezer. They love mealworms and waxworms too, but waxworms are super high in fat so use them as treats. Make sure to get some greens in their diet also.

Great thread. I have a few questions and thoughts to add.

First off I think that people would be interested in a book about zookeeper stories, but marketing the book and getting people to actually buy it could be difficult on a large scale outside of zoo gift shops and specialty stores. There is an audience for the stories, but it would really have to have some compelling stuff and be marketed efficiently to be a money maker. Perhaps a collection of the best stories from around the world could provide that level or content to make more of a mainstream success, but otherwise it will be a niche read for the most part and most people who would enjoy reading it won't actually seek it out and buy it without some incentive.

I think that what you are doing in this thread is much more interesting because it provides interaction. I don't know if your zoo website already has an "ask a zookeeper" section or not, but this is the way to do it. I read through the whole thread and think that getting a few more zookeepers in here answering questions would only make it better and provide more perspective. It may be hard to duplicate on your zoo website because of the nature of some of the discussion and how appropriate it is for kids, but the basic concept of interaction and free flowing discussion is very interesting. I don't know how you find the balance of keeping it kid friendly and answering all the monkey masturbation questions. People are just curious about that type of stuff and you guys have the answers so it's a great fit in that regard.

---

I've been to the Columbus Zoo recently and I was very unimpressed with it. The enclosures are too small in many cases. The reptile house enclosures seemed like pet store exhibits. The Komodo Dragon exhibit was a big let down as well, it's just too small and fake. They have some nice stuff, the manatee exhibit is cool in an otherwise weak aquarium and the Kangaroo exhibit is probably the best because you can go right in there with them. I think that the Cleveland Zoo is way better because of their Rain Forest building. I've been to the D.C. and Cleveland Zoos and they are both better than CBus.

---

Steve Irwin is a beast and I mean that in the best way possible. I never met him, but I respect him so much. I always thought that it would be a snake that got him in the end, although I heard that he was never bitten by a venomous snake in his life. I don't know if that's true or not. I'm not surprised to hear stories about how genuine a guy he was from those who crossed paths with him.

---

As far as the which animal would win in a fight discussions: Taking deep water out of the equation I tend to believe that the Elephant wins it. The African Elephant is the largest correct? Just the size and power of the world's largest elephants leads me to believe all it will take is 1 awkward kick to break most animals. Not to mention how hard it would be to damage such an elephant. What is your take on that? I know you are partial to the Polar Bear, but size wise they aren't on a level playing field so I see it as a route. In this debate you hear about Lions, Tigers, Bears, Crocs, Hippos, Rhinos, and various other animals. What about a spitting cobra? It's ability to blind it's opponent so quickly could make it a real sleeper in this theoretical tournament. Deep water I think I go Orca, but I think that irikandji jellyfish should actually be the most feared ocean dweller in terms of venom.

---

What life lessons do you take from the animals? What knowledge have you gained from them in a philosophical sense that has improved your life?

---

I can't remember where I heard this, maybe from the movie Free Willy... Killer whales in captivity have dorsal fins that wilt and curl, but scientists never figured out exactly why that is. Has that mystery been solved?

valence said:
GRÖFAZ said:
Roaches would be a pain, especially if some escaped. If you were ambitious you could breed crickets, but I'd probably just get them at the store. Save some to feed live if you want and store the rest in container in the fridge or freezer. They love mealworms and waxworms too, but waxworms are super high in fat so use them as treats. Make sure to get some greens in their diet also.
I would think they'd prefer live food all the time no? Would you consider a 720 ltr. tank overkill for a pair of BDs, or just about right?Yep thanks, I'm just reading up on them now. They need a very varied diet it seems.

valence said:
GRÖFAZ said:
I would think they'd prefer live food all the time no? Would you consider a 720 ltr. tank overkill for a pair of BDs, or just about right?Yep thanks, I'm just reading up on them now. They need a very varied diet it seems.
I'd say that's overkill unless you are creating bearded dragon utopia. I'd say that a tank 1\3rd that size is probably fine.

I would think they'd prefer live food all the time no? Would you consider a 720 ltr. tank overkill for a pair of BDs, or just about right?

Yep thanks, I'm just reading up on them now. They need a very varied diet it seems.
I'd say that's overkill unless you are creating bearded dragon utopia. I'd say that a tank 1\3rd that size is probably fine.
thisyou must do this

I would think they'd prefer live food all the time no? Would you consider a 720 ltr. tank overkill for a pair of BDs, or just about right?

Yep thanks, I'm just reading up on them now. They need a very varied diet it seems.
thisyou must do this
Welcome to Bearded Heaven!

thisyou must do this
Welcome to Bearded Heaven!
I think that is something completely different.

Crested Gecko. No heating required (mids 60s to mid 70s) can eat insects, but do perfectly fine with a powder mixed with water diet (Crested Gecko Diet), lots of different colors/morphs are very easily handled as well.

Users who are viewing this thread