What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Mid Year Song Draft - Start Monday July 10 (1 Viewer)

Northern Voice

Footballguy
A tradition like no other! And I'm not talking about me creating this thread, making five picks then ghosting, no, it's the mid year song draft!

Any 2023 released song will be eligible. Draft will start Monday to let everyone recover from the days off and find this thread.

There will be one pick Monday July 10th
AM/PM picks Tuesday July 11th - Friday July 14th
Round 10 Saturday July 15th
Round 11 Sunday July 16th
AM/PM picks Monday July 17th - Thursday July 20th
Round 20 - Friday July 21st

I've listened to a lot less new music this year than in the past several. I'm on vacation as of July 15 so 10 rounds is probably my end point. And that's about right given the number of new albums I've heard this year so far.

Round 1: Saddest Worm Ever — HMLTD

For my first selection I’ll pick a song from my album of the year — HMLTD’s rock opera The Worm. This might be my favorite rock opera ever and I say that as a huge fan of The Wall. Time will tell. It’s kind of about a giant worm swallowing England but it’s really about mental illness and conquering personal demons. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Round 1: Saddest Worm Ever — HMLTD

For my first selection I’ll pick a song from my album of the year — HMLTD’s rock opera The Worm. This might be my favorite rock opera ever and I say that as a huge fan of The Wall. Time will tell. It’s kind of about a giant worm swallowing England but it’s really about mental illness and conquering personal demons. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Dude, I am totally in on this after just one listen - nice!

2. Billy Nomates - spite

I just came outta spite
I didn't come here to try to put things right
Don't you push me, you know I just might
I only came, I only came outta spite
I'm only here, I'm only here 'cause I can
Little boy, don't think you quite understand
Don't you act like I ain't the ****ing man
I'm only here, I'm only here 'cause I can

Love, love, love this song. Here's a little article from clashmusic. If what they mean by "punchy" below is that it makes you want to punch things, then I'm all in.

The urgent, synth-infused track blends Billy Nomates’ raucous punk energy with just a sprinkling of pop, resulting in a song that revels in self-belief. A punchy return, ‘spite’ finds that living well is the best revenge

I'm going to try to keep up with listening to the songs posted in this thread, but will have my hands full with the M.A.D. 31s.
I always end up adding songs from these exercises to my annual playlists, so keep up the good work!

2. Grian Chatten — The Fairlies

My song of the moment from the Fontaines D.C. frontman’s solo album.

3. Opus Kink — Chains

Cool Jazz-Punk sound. The 3:30 to 4:10 section of this song is my favorite 40-second segment of the year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread