What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can T.O. or Moss possibly catch Jerry Rice... (2 Viewers)

zoonation

Footballguy
Rice: games 303 receptions 1549 yards 22895 TDs 197

Owens: games 175 receptions 890 yards 13246 TDs 132

Moss: games 156 receptions 782 yards 12331 TDs 125

I think both will get fairly close, but ultimately come up short. I think Owens gets really close.

I can't see either catching Star 80. To much ground to cover and they are getting long in the tooth.

Rice remains numero uno.

Rice: games 303 receptions 1549 yards 22895 TDs 197 Owens: games 175 receptions 890 yards 13246 TDs 132 Moss: games 156 receptions 782 yards 12331 TDs 125 I think both will get fairly close, but ultimately come up short. I think Owens gets really close.
My initial gut reaction was that Owens has the better shot, although neither will do it.Upon reflection, Moss is like 3-4 years younger than Owens, so just based on the age factor maybe Moss has a better shot. Plus, Owens's biggest season was 16 TD's, while Moss has put up 17+ three separate times. I do think Owens is in for a big year this season, fwiw, so we'll see.I still don't think either one of them catches Rice, but it will be close.

I say TO has the best shot given his obsession with his physique and the limelight. But no, I think he'll come up 20 short.

I look for Randy to quit football in 2-3 years; just an opinion...

I can't see either catching Star 80. To much ground to cover and they are getting long in the tooth.Rice remains numero uno.
Moss isn't really that old. And he's getting TDs at a much higher rate then Rice, and quite a bit ahead of TO. If Brady didn't get hurt, and Moss put up 17-18 TDs, I think he'd be a lock to catch Rice. This year really hurts him. But if Moss can play 4-5 more years with Brady, he can do it.TO is much older, he's 35. Moss is 31, and pretty much dead even with Owens. To claim Owens can do it, but not Moss, it's foolish. Moss is neck and neck with Owens, and has 4 years on him. Not even close.TO has almost no shot. I don't see a 38/39/40 year old TO even playing in the NFL. He's a phyiscal beast, when he starts to lose that, he can't reinvent himself. TOs hands are horrible. His route running is average. Once he starts to lose his speed, he will go down hill very fast.Guys like Harrison, Moss, Rice, much more fluid. Moss isn't a great route runner, but he's built for speed and has great hands. Probably the best ability to adjust to an inflight ball the NFL has ever seen. Moss will be a decent RZ threat until he's 40. Question is does Moss really want to play 6-7 more years.

Rice: games 303 receptions 1549 yards 22895 TDs 197 Owens: games 175 receptions 890 yards 13246 TDs 132 Moss: games 156 receptions 782 yards 12331 TDs 125 I think both will get fairly close, but ultimately come up short. I think Owens gets really close.
My initial gut reaction was that Owens has the better shot, although neither will do it.Upon reflection, Moss is like 3-4 years younger than Owens, so just based on the age factor maybe Moss has a better shot. Plus, Owens's biggest season was 16 TD's, while Moss has put up 17+ three separate times. I do think Owens is in for a big year this season, fwiw, so we'll see.I still don't think either one of them catches Rice, but it will be close.
for the sake of argument, let's give T.O. 14 tds this year. that puts him at 144 needing 54 more to pass Rice. He would then need to average 13.5 over the next 4 years or 10.8 over the next 5. I know it has been said a million times, but the guy is in unreal shape and looks to be every bit as good as he's always been.I'm just sayin.....it is possible.edit to add: I also think Moss can do it if his heart is there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Owens has the build and ego to keep catching TDs until he is 40...and then still come up short.

Like someone else already said, I can't really see Randy sticking around that long.

If Moss plays 5 more years, then I think he comes seriously close. If he plays more than 5 years then I think he does. I think the odds he plays 5 more years are rather low unless he has not won a SB. People seem to severely underestimate how much Moss wants a ring IMO. If he doesn't get one then I think he plays longer than most expect.

TO has little chance IMO. He is already what, 35? I think he plays 5 more years based on ego, but the last 2 or 3 wont be very productive.

If Moss plays 5 more years, then I think he comes seriously close. If he plays more than 5 years then I think he does. I think the odds he plays 5 more years are rather low unless he has not won a SB. People seem to severely underestimate how much Moss wants a ring IMO. If he doesn't get one then I think he plays longer than most expect.

TO has little chance IMO. He is already what, 35? I think he plays 5 more years based on ego, but the last 2 or 3 wont be very productive.
He is 35...and still in the conversation when talking about the best receiver in the league (regardless of one's personal opinion)I don't think he will do it, but he will get close.

To answer the question........yes, it's possible. However, it's not likely but I think we think that of all our long time records until they're actually broken.

Players are playing longer than ever before and both the playres behind Rice keep themselves in great shape. I think it's easier to say Terell Owens right now because Moss just lost Brady.

It would take something pretty spectacular to catch him. I think Owens would have to come close to 20 TD seasons the next couple years to make it real interesting. To be honest, I don't think it's really a goal of his but maybe that's how you break it. He's not focused on breaking records, he's just focusing on trying to improve every day he goes out there. If he can keep that up for the next several years and we take a look at the overall numers, it may get interesting.

He is 35...and still in the conversation when talking about the best receiver in the league (regardless of one's personal opinion)I don't think he will do it, but he will get close.
Let me phrase it this way. If Moss plays until he is 40 (Rice played until 42!) then yes, he breaks that record running away IMO. If TO plays until he is 42 (same age as Rice when he retired) then I think he comes close but falls short. I don't really expect either guy to play past 40.

Just puts it in perspective how amazing Jerry Rice was. He has ~50% more receptions, TDs, and yardage as the #2 guy OF ALL TIME on those same lists. Amazing.

Moss, of course, will have a down year this year. More like 10-12 td's. But he's 31, so he has some years to go.

Owens, being 35, has arrived at the age when the quickness starts to fade. However, he keeps himself in fantastic shape. I believe he is more motivated than Moss is. He could continue for several years, but I doubt he'll catch Jerry.

I think they'll both come close, but fall short. However, they have one advantage over Rice, and that is that they are big and powerful. Rice was 6'2" and 200. Moss is 6'4' and 210, and Owens is 6'3" and 225, that might make up for lack of quickness later on. Maybe I'll be proved wrong.

for the sake of argument, let's give T.O. 14 tds this year. that puts him at 144 needing 54 more to pass Rice. He would then need to average 13.5 over the next 4 years or 10.8 over the next 5. I know it has been said a million times, but the guy is in unreal shape and looks to be every bit as good as he's always been.I'm just sayin.....it is possible.edit to add: I also think Moss can do it if his heart is there.
:goodposting: I think this sums up the scenario very well. It will be very difficult for Owens to average 14 tds over the next 4 years, but it is possible. Right now I think its safe to say that based on his physical condition T.O. will be able to play at the level he is at for another year or two at the very least. His numbers will drop down but will he just stop producing?? I don't think so. He certainly looks like he's going to get more than 14 this year.

Probably not. I won't repeat other's analysis, but the odds of either of them staying productive enough through 4-5 more seasons + not getting injured is pretty slim.

Now, if you could combine Moss's age and talent with T.O.'s training and desire, this uber-locker-room-destroyer WR would have a serious shot.

Won't happen. Moss doesn't have the head to keep playing at a high level once his physical skills start to deteriorate, and Owens is too old to have a chance.

Rice: games 303 receptions 1549 yards 22895 TDs 197

Owens: games 175 receptions 890 yards 13246 TDs 132

Moss: games 156 receptions 782 yards 12331 TDs 125

I think both will get fairly close, but ultimately come up short. I think Owens gets really close.
My initial gut reaction was that Owens has the better shot, although neither will do it.Upon reflection, Moss is like 3-4 years younger than Owens, so just based on the age factor maybe Moss has a better shot. Plus, Owens's biggest season was 16 TD's, while Moss has put up 17+ three separate times. I do think Owens is in for a big year this season, fwiw, so we'll see.

I still don't think either one of them catches Rice, but it will be close.
for the sake of argument, let's give T.O. 14 tds this year. that puts him at 144 needing 54 more to pass Rice. He would then need to average 13.5 over the next 4 years or 10.8 over the next 5. I know it has been said a million times, but the guy is in unreal shape and looks to be every bit as good as he's always been.I'm just sayin.....it is possible.

edit to add: I also think Moss can do it if his heart is there.
:confused: I think this sums up the scenario very well. It will be very difficult for Owens to average 14 tds over the next 4 years, but it is possible. Right now I think its safe to say that based on his physical condition T.O. will be able to play at the level he is at for another year or two at the very least. His numbers will drop down but will he just stop producing?? I don't think so. He certainly looks like he's going to get more than 14 this year.
Owens has never had a four year period in his career where he averaged 14 TD's per year. I see absolutely no reason to believe he can suddenly accomplish that in the next four years.On the other hand, he has always averaged 11+ TD's over any five-year period you pick from his career (excluding 1996). So it's certainly no stretch for him to catch 56 TD's in five years. But doing that from age 35-40 is a lot different than doing it from age 25-30.

Owens is now right at the age and stage of his career where Rice started his decline. Consider that Rice scored double digit TD's every year from age 24-33. After that point, he never did it again. So let's not get too crazy extrapolating Owens's previous stats and assuming he can keep up that pace until he's 40.

65 TDs for Owens would require 4 really good seasons... he's how old? 32 I think? Playing at this high a level until he's 36, I don't know...I don't think Moss can do it, only because I think he had a couple down years that hurt him too much, but he should have been able to do it... if he'd just played inside of sulking,,,

I think Owens can. The guy just doesn't seem to age. If he and Romo stay in Dallas, I think he's the only one that has a shot.

65 TDs for Owens would require 4 really good seasons... he's how old? 32 I think? Playing at this high a level until he's 36, I don't know...I don't think Moss can do it, only because I think he had a couple down years that hurt him too much, but he should have been able to do it... if he'd just played inside of sulking,,,
TO is 35.Moss' down years mean nothing now. He is still in a great position to do it. Rice had down years too.

They are both too egocentric to stick around after their skills start to fade. Rice was ego-less & kept producing even though he was not always 1st option. That attitude is rare these days.

You think TO would settle for being the 2nd option? Would Moss?

They'll both retire around age 36.

They are both too egocentric to stick around after their skills start to fade. Rice was ego-less & kept producing even though he was not always 1st option. That attitude is rare these days.

So this is TO's last year?

Many posters have suggested that Moss may only play a few more years.

Bear in mind that Jerry Rice and Brett Favre both openly voiced doubts about playing much longer when they were in their early 30s and look what happened to them.

I think they will both finish short of Rice's numbers, but I do wonder what Moss' stats might have looked like had he not phoned it in those years he was in Oakland.

I think they will both finish short of Rice's numbers, but I do wonder what Moss' stats might have looked like had he not phoned it in those years he was in Oakland.
I don't actually think it was his fault in Oakland. He was playing for perhaps the biggest joke combo at coach and offensive co-ordinator in NFL history. I mean, what a pair of chumps. And he was hurt much of the time too.

Imagine if Moss didn't have those black hole years with the Raiders.

I really hope neither catch Rice and I own Moss in 2 leagues. Rice was a champion and a class act. I think both TO and Moss have improved greatly in the character department and I love watching both play. It doesn't get any better than Rice though.

Oops - ok so I didn't read closely enough and the Raiders thing was already mentioned. Board police have me arrested. Be careful or I will hit you with my Honda ala Moss.

At his career pace (12.8 TD's per 16 games), Randy needs 5.6 more seasons, including this one.

If Randy plays six more seasons including this one, he will retire at age 36.

I think Randy makes it.

Consider that even if he loses a step in a few years, Randy can still make a living as the best red zone WR in the game, with his best-ever leaping ability and impeccable hands.

The ONLY question with Randy is whether he retires early. From a per-game standpoint, he has crushed Rice and TO on stats.

I honestly think TO get around 20 tds this year... that would give him a view of the record.

I think he would be more motivated to pass Rice being their personal history.

At his career pace (12.8 TD's per 16 games), Randy needs 5.6 more seasons, including this one.If Randy plays six more seasons including this one, he will retire at age 36.I think Randy makes it.Consider that even if he loses a step in a few years, Randy can still make a living as the best red zone WR in the game, with his best-ever leaping ability and impeccable hands.The ONLY question with Randy is whether he retires early. From a per-game standpoint, he has crushed Rice and TO on stats.
Moss has played ten seasons.What you're missing is that in Rice's first ten seasons, he averaged 13.4 TD's per 16 games. If you don't count his rookie year, where he only started 4 games, he averaged 14.7 TD's per 16 games from years 2-11.Comparing apples to apples, from a per-game standpoint, Rice crushed Moss. His career TD/16gm average dropped because once he was no longer in his prime, his TD totals dipped. Even so, Rice's career TD/16gm is over 10. Remarkable considering he played until he was 42.

TO is in great shape for his age but Rice was really in great shape his whole career. His workout regimen would make TO cry and he was a pro bowler at age 40. It is a lot to ask of TO to maintain pro bowl status until he's 40+ because thats really the only way he's catching up with Jerry.

I never played fantasy when Jerry was playing. He must have been fantasy gold.

I don't think either one will do it, but TO definitely has the better chance. All of the "extended" career elite players have taken really good care of their bodies.

At his career pace (12.8 TD's per 16 games), Randy needs 5.6 more seasons, including this one.If Randy plays six more seasons including this one, he will retire at age 36.I think Randy makes it.Consider that even if he loses a step in a few years, Randy can still make a living as the best red zone WR in the game, with his best-ever leaping ability and impeccable hands.The ONLY question with Randy is whether he retires early. From a per-game standpoint, he has crushed Rice and TO on stats.
Moss has played ten seasons.What you're missing is that in Rice's first ten seasons, he averaged 13.4 TD's per 16 games. If you don't count his rookie year, where he only started 4 games, he averaged 14.7 TD's per 16 games from years 2-11.Comparing apples to apples, from a per-game standpoint, Rice crushed Moss. His career TD/16gm average dropped because once he was no longer in his prime, his TD totals dipped. Even so, Rice's career TD/16gm is over 10. Remarkable considering he played until he was 42.
Ehh, crushed moss? You should probably run the numbers for Moss again. Even with the Raiders years, he's very close to his pace. Without his injury filled 2nd Raider year, he's roughly equal. Moss was actually AHEAD of Rice's pace before he left the Vikings. Crush moss, lol. First 10 years, 12.8 to 13.4. You take out his 1st, I'll take out Moss' 2nd raider year. 14.7 vs 14.1.Where is this crushing? If we take out both Moss' raider years, he almost jumps dead even.

I honestly think TO get around 20 tds this year... that would give him a view of the record.I think he would be more motivated to pass Rice being their personal history.
Prior to this year, I owned TO for 3 years running in redrafts....it would be miraculous if he scored 20 TDs based on his high week to week production variability.

At his career pace (12.8 TD's per 16 games), Randy needs 5.6 more seasons, including this one.

I think Randy makes it.

Consider that even if he loses a step in a few years, Randy can still make a living as the best red zone WR in the game, with his best-ever leaping ability and impeccable hands.

The ONLY question with Randy is whether he retires early. From a per-game standpoint, he has crushed Rice and TO on stats.
Moss has played ten seasons.What you're missing is that in Rice's first ten seasons, he averaged 13.4 TD's per 16 games.

If you don't count his rookie year, where he only started 4 games, he averaged 14.7 TD's per 16 games from years 2-11.

Comparing apples to apples, from a per-game standpoint, Rice crushed Moss. His career TD/16gm average dropped because once he was no longer in his prime, his TD totals dipped. Even so, Rice's career TD/16gm is over 10. Remarkable considering he played until he was 42.
Ehh, crushed moss? You should probably run the numbers for Moss again. Even with the Raiders years, he's very close to his pace. Without his injury filled 2nd Raider year, he's roughly equal. Moss was actually AHEAD of Rice's pace before he left the Vikings. Crush moss, lol. First 10 years, 12.8 to 13.4. You take out his 1st, I'll take out Moss' 2nd raider year. 14.7 vs 14.1.

Where is this crushing? If we take out both Moss' raider years, he almost jumps dead even.
Settle down, Sally. I was merely replying to the original claim that Moss crushed Rice.We're not cherry-picking which years to include and not include. The point is, the guy said that Moss's TD/16 games average is better than Rice's, which is an apples to oranges comparison.

Through their first ten seasons, Rice averaged more TD's per 16 games than Moss has. Now let's see Moss do what Rice did for the second ten years of his career before we anoint Randy as the TD champ.

And like I mentioned before, the 197 number is not even including the 10 or so rushing TD's Rice had.

I don't actually think it was his fault in Oakland. He was playing for perhaps the biggest joke combo at coach and offensive co-ordinator in NFL history. I mean, what a pair of chumps. And he was hurt much of the time too.
But that is what made Jerry Rice so awesome. He never tanked on a team, and he was healthy his whole career, except for '97, which enabled him to put up those obscene numbers. I think it goes without saying that if Moss had the work ethic that Rice had, he would have obliterated Rice's numbers, but he simply doesn't.

tomarken said:
teamroc said:
tomarken said:
The Man Who Met Andy Griffith said:

I think Randy makes it.

Moss has played ten seasons.What you're missing is that in Rice's first ten seasons, he averaged 13.4 TD's per 16 games.

If you don't count his rookie year, where he only started 4 games, he averaged 14.7 TD's per 16 games from years 2-11.

Comparing apples to apples, from a per-game standpoint, Rice crushed Moss. His career TD/16gm average dropped because once he was no longer in his prime, his TD totals dipped. Even so, Rice's career TD/16gm is over 10. Remarkable considering he played until he was 42.
Ehh, crushed moss? You should probably run the numbers for Moss again. Even with the Raiders years, he's very close to his pace. Without his injury filled 2nd Raider year, he's roughly equal. Moss was actually AHEAD of Rice's pace before he left the Vikings. Crush moss, lol. First 10 years, 12.8 to 13.4. You take out his 1st, I'll take out Moss' 2nd raider year. 14.7 vs 14.1.

Where is this crushing? If we take out both Moss' raider years, he almost jumps dead even.
Settle down, Sally. I was merely replying to the original claim that Moss crushed Rice.We're not cherry-picking which years to include and not include. The point is, the guy said that Moss's TD/16 games average is better than Rice's, which is an apples to oranges comparison.

Through their first ten seasons, Rice averaged more TD's per 16 games than Moss has. Now let's see Moss do what Rice did for the second ten years of his career before we anoint Randy as the TD champ.

And like I mentioned before, the 197 number is not even including the 10 or so rushing TD's Rice had.
So he said Moss crushed Rice. You said Rice crushed Moss. Regardless, you're both ######ed.Rice never crushed Moss in any span. Moss was ahead of his td per games for most of his career. Apples to apples, Moss is very close to Rice any way you slice it.

Chunky Soup said:
gianmarco said:
Resident A said:

So this is TO's last year?
TO is 34 :goodposting:
TO is 35 in less than 3 months. So he will be 36 during the 2009 season. If he's retiring around 36 as suggested, he'd probably just take 2009 off as suggested.

Neither will.

Owens would be closer since I think he has the body and drive.

Moss, I think, would have retired if the Patriots won last year. He signed on for another chance at a title. No real drive to be the best IMO.

Neither will.Owens would be closer since I think he has the body and drive.Moss, I think, would have retired if the Patriots won last year. He signed on for another chance at a title. No real drive to be the best IMO.
That's because he already is the best evah.See, for comparative purposes, Barry Sanders vs Emmit Smith. :goodposting:

Of course, these are always projecting current trends. But as players get older, their body takes a toll. We shouldn't be surprised if injuries begin to happen.

drew726 said:
TO is in great shape for his age but Rice was really in great shape his whole career. His workout regimen would make TO cry
uh i don't think soto is probably the hardest working player in the game today

tomarken said:
teamroc said:
tomarken said:
The Man Who Met Andy Griffith said:

I think Randy makes it.

So he said Moss crushed Rice. You said Rice crushed Moss. Regardless, you're both ######ed.Rice never crushed Moss in any span. Moss was ahead of his td per games for most of his career. Apples to apples, Moss is very close to Rice any way you slice it.
Perhaps I should have put "crushed" in quotes or something - I never actually meant that Rice crushed Moss, and I wouldn't have used the word, I was just sort of sarcastically using the word when pointing out the error of the OP.Anyway, I don't see where "Moss was ahead of his td per games for most of his career." Please explain.

Regardless, I agree that over his first ten seasons, Moss has kept up a pace comparable to Rice's first ten years. Moss is now 31 years old and still needs 73 more receiving touchdowns to pass Rice. Here is a list of the most TD's caught by a receiver from age 31 and forward:

Code:
NAME 	POS 	YRs 	G 	REC 	RECYD 	YD/REC 	RECTD 	FANT PT1	Jerry Rice	wr	1993--2004	179	939	12622	13.44	94	1885.802	Cris Carter	wr	1996--2002	101	530	6695	12.63	64	1053.803	Terrell Owens	wr	2004--2008	54	298	4674	15.68	51	773.604	Marvin Harrison	wr	2003--2008	69	386	5236	13.56	50	823.905	Irving Fryar	wr	1993--2000	126	488	7059	14.47	46	987.306	Tim Brown	wr	1997--2004	127	599	7754	12.94	45	1054.007	Jimmy Smith	wr	2000--2005	91	481	6613	13.75	39	895.208	Joey Galloway	wr	2002--2008	90	338	5428	16.06	36	767.409	Drew Hill	wr	1987--1993	106	445	6203	13.94	36	836.4010	Don Maynard	wr	1966--1973	92	305	5970	19.57	35	808.40
Here is a list of the most TD's caught by a receiver from their 10th season and forward (note this includes their 10th season, which Moss is already past):
Code:
NAME 	POS 	YRs 	G 	REC 	RECYD 	YD/REC 	RECTD 	FANT PT1	Jerry Rice	wr	1994--2004	163	841	11119	13.22	79	1632.602	Cris Carter	wr	1996--2002	101	530	6695	12.63	64	1053.803	Irving Fryar	wr	1993--2000	126	488	7059	14.47	46	987.304	Tim Brown	wr	1997--2004	127	599	7754	12.94	45	1054.005	Terrell Owens	wr	2005--2008	40	221	3474	15.72	37	570.106	Charlie Joiner	wr	1978--1986	136	501	7605	15.18	34	963.307	Keenan McCardell	wr	2001--2007	92	397	4957	12.49	31	683.308	Jimmy Smith	wr	2001--2005	76	390	5400	13.85	31	725.909	Drew Hill	wr	1988--1993	94	396	5214	13.17	30	701.5010	Don Maynard	wr	1967--1973	78	257	5130	19.96	30	694.40
Does Moss have a chance? Of course, he's probably one of the best WR's the NFL has ever seen. But he's only really halfway there, and it will take a monumental effort to keep up with Rice's pace for another ten years. I'll believe it when I see it.

Rice, through age 36, has a 20-TD edge on Owens. Considering Rice's career after age 36 is one of the most incredible performances in league history, we can safely put Owens' chances at 0.

Moss has a 17-TD lead on Rice through age 32: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny/Kyv4q

Still, he'll need 49 more TDs. How many WRs have caught 49 TDs or more after their age-32 season? Just one, Rice.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny/E4dfm

Owens is 2nd with 43 and counting; Carter is third with 41.

Rice, through age 36, has a 20-TD edge on Owens. Considering Rice's career after age 36 is one of the most incredible performances in league history, we can safely put Owens' chances at 0.
Agreed.
Yes, but Moss played in 30 more games than Rice by age 32. So Rice actually outpaced Moss in TD/game up until that point in their respective careers. And then Rice played for another ten years.
Still, he'll need 49 more TDs. How many WRs have caught 49 TDs or more after their age-32 season? Just one, Rice.

Seems like the story now is the same as it was two years ago. In order to catch Rice, Moss would need to do something over the remainder of his career that no one has ever done before - except Rice. :hot:

Can Moss? I think absolutely. Will he? I doubt it. I don't see the drive in Moss to continue to play when he losses a step an is no longer physically dominant. He gets open when he wants to because he is so physically talented. When he gets to the point, in the next few years inevitably, when he losses a step and needs to work much harder to remain dominant, or simply a solid player, I see him losing interest and retiring.

[

Seems like the story now is the same as it was two years ago. In order to catch Rice, Moss would need to do something over the remainder of his career that no one has ever done before - except Rice. :thumbup:
I think this is a little misleading. Physically, Owens could easily do this as well, and even surpass it. It doesn't appear physically he is slowing down tremendously. He's just such a mental case that he's not going to be able to maximize his performance.

Users who are viewing this thread