What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2010 CLOSERS Thread (1 Viewer)

I can't help but feel Matt Guerrier is going to end up with the job here before long. I think he is the better pitcher. Guess we shall see in time.

Grabbed Rauch as soon as he was announced as Minnesota's closer. Now today I see that someone has dropped Jenks, and I'm not sure if I should get Jenks instead.

Frasor entered with a 1-run lead today. Only got one out and gave up a bunch of hits to blow it. Obviously one game won't cost his job, but the leash can't be terribly long with Downs and Gregg waiting in the wings.

The casualty list is growing:

Out: Nathan

Hurt: Street, Wood

Lost role (temporarily?): Francisco, Gonzalez

Shaky: Hoffman

Had the choice between Johnson and Rodney this morning (had Johnson rostered when I heard about Fuentes). Opted to drop Johnson for Rodney. Hope that pans out.

ETA: Orioles recalled Kam Mickolio to take Gonzales's roster spot. I'm sure Johnson gets the save opps for the immediate future, but Kam could be someone to look at if MG is out long term.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the choice between Johnson and Rodney this morning (had Johnson rostered when I heard about Fuentes). Opted to drop Johnson for Rodney. Hope that pans out.ETA: Orioles recalled Kam Mickolio to take Gonzales's roster spot. I'm sure Johnson gets the save opps for the immediate future, but Kam could be someone to look at if MG is out long term.
I did the same Johnson-Rodney shuffle in one of my leagues. I had Johnson last year; those were 10 of the most mediocre saves ever.

MLB.com reports Blue Jays manager Cito Gaston indicated Friday that he is leaning toward tabbing Jason Frasor as the team's closer. Frasor has been battling with Scott Downs and Kevin Gregg this spring, but Gaston isn't sure he wants to mess with success. "It's still up in the air, but Frasor was my closer last year," Gaston said. "He hasn't really done anything to lose that opportunity or that job."(Updated 03/26/2010).
This situation looks like it'll be a mess all season.
Frasor is the superior pitcher and closed well last year. As long as he doesn't poop the bed, I think he'll maintain the position.
Blue Jays manager Cito Gaston announced Wednesday that Kevin Gregg will serve as the team's closer "until further notice."

Had the choice between Johnson and Rodney this morning (had Johnson rostered when I heard about Fuentes). Opted to drop Johnson for Rodney. Hope that pans out.ETA: Orioles recalled Kam Mickolio to take Gonzales's roster spot. I'm sure Johnson gets the save opps for the immediate future, but Kam could be someone to look at if MG is out long term.
I did the same Johnson-Rodney shuffle in one of my leagues. I had Johnson last year; those were 10 of the most mediocre saves ever.
Those with roster spots might consider Cla Meredith also, he might get a shot if Johnson is bad or even before.

The National Post reports Toronto manager Cito Gaston has announced that Kevin Gregg will be the team's closer until further notice, unless "he goes out and blows a couple of saves." This announcement came on Wednesday, the day after Gregg struck out two in a perfect ninth for his third save of the season against Chicago. Jason Frasor will pitch the eighth inning.(Updated 04/14/2010).

Grabbed Rauch as soon as he was announced as Minnesota's closer. Now today I see that someone has dropped Jenks, and I'm not sure if I should get Jenks instead.
I hope you kept Rauch, he is 6 for 6 in saves and looking like he could lead a few FB teams to the golden land this year.

who is going to replace chad qualls in arizona eventually? the entire bullpen blows right now.
gutierrez?
:thumbup:Gutierrez had his little meltdown the other day but he's still probably the next best option. He may have bought Qualls some extra time though.
I think Qualls will get traded at the deadline if the D Backs are out of the West. But I don't see a reason he will lose the closer job so soon.

Think Matt Capps will keep it up? sitting in free agents, still holding on to Francisco
Interesting case, that Capps. I tend to like him as a source of saves for the (apparently) improved Nationals. Ya gotta figure that the wins they get will tend to be close ones - which will give me more opportunities for saves. He's 5-for-5 so far. At 26 he's probably just coming into his own. I'm sold on him (though I can't get him now).-QG

Brian Fuentes comes off the DL. Gets into the game with a 3-2 lead.

Miguel Cabrera hits a homerun.

Carlos Guillen walks.

Inge strikeouts.

Guillen steals second.

Laird walks.

Guillen gets caught stealing.

Santiago gets a single, Laird scores.

4-3 Detroit.

How soon until Rodney, who pitched fantastically as closer, gets the job back? And how stupid is it to give the job back to a guy who wasn't that good in the first place?

Brian Fuentes comes off the DL. Gets into the game with a 3-2 lead.Miguel Cabrera hits a homerun.Carlos Guillen walks.Inge strikeouts.Guillen steals second.Laird walks.Guillen gets caught stealing.Santiago gets a single, Laird scores.4-3 Detroit.How soon until Rodney, who pitched fantastically as closer, gets the job back? And how stupid is it to give the job back to a guy who wasn't that good in the first place?
I have more man love for Rodney than anyone, but that doesn't mean Fuentes doesn't suck. It is only a matter of time until Rodney is the full time closer, Fuentes is absolute trash.

who is going to replace chad qualls in arizona eventually? the entire bullpen blows right now.
gutierrez?
:goodposting:Gutierrez had his little meltdown the other day but he's still probably the next best option. He may have bought Qualls some extra time though.
I think Qualls will get traded at the deadline if the D Backs are out of the West. But I don't see a reason he will lose the closer job so soon.
Just kidding.Wow, is Qualls pitching horribly.

Orioles manager said today, basically, that he has no closer and it'll be a committee.

Jim Johnson just pitched the 8th inning with a 2-run lead, so we may be about find out who's next to get the majority of saves. Most likely though, whoever the 9th inning pitcher is tonight will promptly give up 4 runs

ETA: The mystery pitcher is Alfredo Simon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orioles manager said today, basically, that he has no closer and it'll be a committee.Jim Johnson just pitched the 8th inning with a 2-run lead, so we may be about find out who's next to get the majority of saves. Most likely though, whoever the 9th inning pitcher is tonight will promptly give up 4 runsETA: The mystery pitcher is Alfredo Simon.
would have gotten out of the inning with just a walk if not for an error with 2 outs by ss izturis

Simon had nasty stuff. I know he almost blew the save but it really wasnt his fault. He threw a 97 mph fastball with two seam action movement, a 90 mph slider, and even snuck in an 84 mph changeup.

Orioles manager said today, basically, that he has no closer and it'll be a committee.Jim Johnson just pitched the 8th inning with a 2-run lead, so we may be about find out who's next to get the majority of saves. Most likely though, whoever the 9th inning pitcher is tonight will promptly give up 4 runsETA: The mystery pitcher is Alfredo Simon.
Wow Alfredo Simon. The O's bring up a guy who was starting in AAA and throw him into a save situation on his first day up. He was a Giants prospect about five years ago

Saves today:

Alfredo Simon

Ramon Ramirez

Jason Motte

Frank Francisco

Hoffman stunk it up again

Users who are viewing this thread