What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2010 CLOSERS Thread (1 Viewer)

Saves today:

Alfredo Simon

Ramon Ramirez

Jason Motte

Frank Francisco

Hoffman stunk it up again
Who's next in line? Coffey or Hawkins?
Villanueva has been the best of the bunch.
They have a countdown posted for his 600th save. They're not going anywhere this year. He's going to have an extremely long leash.
they're also trying to compete. The 600 sign might be a consideration if they were 15 games back in August but if the Brewers keep giving Ws away, it could come to that. I agree his leash is long but it's a lot shorter than it was on opening day.

dparker713 said:
ceo3west said:
Bob Loblaw said:
Saves today:

Alfredo Simon

Ramon Ramirez

Jason Motte

Frank Francisco

Hoffman stunk it up again
Who's next in line? Coffey or Hawkins?
Villanueva has been the best of the bunch.
They have a countdown posted for his 600th save. They're not going anywhere this year. He's going to have an extremely long leash.
He's made 9 appearances. He's cost them 4 wins and it's not even May. How many wins can they afford to give back? 2 or 3 games could very well determine whether they make the playoffs or not. I think we all know he's got a really long leash, but there must be a breaking point. I don't see how they aren't close to it yet. I smell a fake injury/DL trip coming soon.

Of the other relievers, I'd prefer to have Villanueva, if for no other reason, because he gets the SP designation, so he'd allow a team to start more than the required slots for RPs. I'd love to have him, but he was snapped up in my league weeks ago.

The Brad Lidge roller coaster is departing. Please keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times and remain seated while in motion.

The Brad Lidge roller coaster is departing. Please keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times and remain seated while in motion.
I've had him on my DL all season and now I have to cut him because I don't want to cut Rauch or Capps. :IBTL:

I might just ouright cut Hoffman, I have both Hoffman and Qualls. Yikes.

I am hoping for the Brewers to have a save situation in the next couple of days to see who Macha trots out.

I might just ouright cut Hoffman, I have both Hoffman and Qualls. Yikes.I am hoping for the Brewers to have a save situation in the next couple of days to see who Macha trots out.
Qualls +2 WHIP is killing me along with Jenks' near 2 WHIP. oof. I sat next to a guy with a 2k bet on the D'Bags and Doyers and Qualls had a 2 run lead for him in the bottom of the 9th. He asked me about Qualls, I said he was pretty solid. He wasn't that night...Doyers scored two to tie and won in extras (although he got a slow ground ball for the 3rd out that Drew threw into the stands).

I might just ouright cut Hoffman, I have both Hoffman and Qualls. Yikes.I am hoping for the Brewers to have a save situation in the next couple of days to see who Macha trots out.
Qualls +2 WHIP is killing me along with Jenks' near 2 WHIP. oof. I sat next to a guy with a 2k bet on the D'Bags and Doyers and Qualls had a 2 run lead for him in the bottom of the 9th. He asked me about Qualls, I said he was pretty solid. He wasn't that night...Doyers scored two to tie and won in extras (although he got a slow ground ball for the 3rd out that Drew threw into the stands).
I didn't even mention that Jenks is my best reliever. We have 3 bullpen spots, I have Jenks, Qualls, and Hoffman. I am also in dead last.Hoffman was a risk, I got him cheap, and I knew what I was getting into due to his age (although in no way could I have predicted this). Qualls, is surprising to me, though. He has been solid the last several years. I know he wasn't a closer all those years.

Is Meek getting the job anytime soon?
Its not like the Pirates are in contention and looking to win now. IMO, they'll give Dotel a very long leash so they can trade their "closer" at the deadline to some contender looking for a setup guy. Meek could have the job by the end of the year though.

Its not like the Pirates are in contention and looking to win now. IMO, they'll give Dotel a very long leash so they can trade their "closer" at the deadline to some contender looking for a setup guy. Meek could have the job by the end of the year though.
:goodposting: Dotel with another one tonight. The more saves Dotel has this year and the less Meek has the better the $$ situation for the club in the long run.

:bs: Dotel with another one tonight. The more saves Dotel has this year and the less Meek has the better the $$ situation for the club in the long run.
with madson out for 8 weeks in philly, i could see them looking at dotel... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Koji Uehara might get activated off the DL in time for this weekend's series vs. Twins. Will he move into the closer role over Alfredo Simon? And if so, should I drop Frank Francisco for Uehara? I'm hurting in the Saves category.

Koji Uehara might get activated off the DL in time for this weekend's series vs. Twins. Will he move into the closer role over Alfredo Simon? And if so, should I drop Frank Francisco for Uehara? I'm hurting in the Saves category.
both are going to lose the job when mike gonzalez comes back. francisco has the best shot at saves for the remainder of the year...

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure I read that Corpas is going to take over for Morales until Street comes back. At least I remember reading, I think.

Pretty sure I read that Corpas is going to take over for Morales until Street comes back. At least I remember reading, I think.
It's not been confirmed but reading between the lines on what Tracy said it's probably the case, the only reason I'm still holding onto Morales is because it is a very, very deep league, Corpas has a history of sucking as a closer, and Street has a history of having setbacks rehabbing injuries.

It's not been confirmed but reading between the lines on what Tracy said it's probably the case, the only reason I'm still holding onto Morales is because it is a very, very deep league, Corpas has a history of sucking as a closer, and Street has a history of having setbacks rehabbing injuries.
You forgot to add the part about Morales also sucking.

I thought he was going to get a raw deal if he lost the job until his last two performances, at least two of his losses and blown saves were luck induced from what I've read. No excuse for 4 BB's in 2/3 IP, especially when your hold on the job security is non existent. He shouldn't have been pitching for his job in the first place though, making decisions off just 10 IP's is what leads to decision maker's losing their jobs.

Brian Fuentes comes off the DL. Gets into the game with a 3-2 lead.

Miguel Cabrera hits a homerun.

Carlos Guillen walks.

Inge strikeouts.

Guillen steals second.

Laird walks.

Guillen gets caught stealing.

Santiago gets a single, Laird scores.

4-3 Detroit.

How soon until Rodney, who pitched fantastically as closer, gets the job back? And how stupid is it to give the job back to a guy who wasn't that good in the first place?
I have more man love for Rodney than anyone, but that doesn't mean Fuentes doesn't suck. It is only a matter of time until Rodney is the full time closer, Fuentes is absolute trash.
:shark: This idiot is gonna cost me money tonight. What a POS.

but he remembered the part about corpas sucking

Lidge sent back to Philly for "elbow stiffness". Madson moved to extended DL. Sounds like Contreras is the guy to own in Philly for the foreseeable future.

Lidge sent back to Philly for "elbow stiffness". Madson moved to extended DL. Sounds like Contreras is the guy to own in Philly for the foreseeable future.
They're downplaying Lidge's issues, but I agree with you. I'd say at least 50/50 that Contreras will be closing within a week.

zoobird said:
E-Z Glider said:
They're downplaying Lidge's issues, but I agree with you. I'd say at least 50/50 that Contreras will be closing within a week.
Madson really shot himself in the foot with that injury. :unsure:

MLB Headlines

Lidge (elbow) placed back on disabled list

Phillies placed RHP Brad Lidge on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 10, with right elbow inflammation.

The saga continues. Lidge opened the season on the DL and has made only four appearances since being activated in late April. Now it's back to rehabbing for the right-hander, who has been neither healthy nor effective for over a year. Jose Contreras earned his first save of the season (and first of his career) Saturday. He should continue to get chances. May. 15 - 8:05 pm et

I am settling all family business Michael Corleone style and releasing Qualls, Hoffman, and Jenks after today (end of matchup). In my 15 + years of playing fantasy baseball, I cannot remember a time I assembled a worse bullpen. Nobody wants to give up anything for them, so they are all gone, and I will fill my roster with middle relievers with good ratios.

Kerry wood is such a piece of crap, has any other player ridden two or three good games to even half as much money as this scrub?
Wood has pitched 1277 MLB innings with an ERA+ of 117. He's never lived up to his advance hype but he's had a better career than most.

Kerry wood is such a piece of crap, has any other player ridden two or three good games to even half as much money as this scrub?
Wood has pitched 1277 MLB innings with an ERA+ of 117. He's never lived up to his advance hype but he's had a better career than most.
I guess that doesn't shock me, it just seems like he strikes out everyone he faces, or gets knocked out after a third of an inning... and I'm sure it's magnified since he's become a reliever.

Simon got hurt today and Uehera may be headed back to the DL. Gonzalez might be back soon, but banking on him wouldn't be wise. Who's left? Meredith?

braddock is the guy to own in milwaukee in a keeper league. he might not get the job this year, but looks like it is his next year.

Users who are viewing this thread