What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Arizona passes nation's toughest immigration law (1 Viewer)

I would like to discuss another aspect of this law which hasn't been much touched upon: the right of ordinary citizens to sue the police if they're not diligent enough in prosecuting illegal aliens. I would like the lawyer types to comment here. From a layman's POV (mine) it seems like this puts undue pressure on the police, invites litigation, and I don't know how this is going to be anything but a gigantic boondoggle which will end up costing taxpayers in Arizona oodles of money. But let's hear what you guys think.
:confused:
I'm assuming with a little effort you could understand this. It seems interesting that the lawyers have repeatedly skirted this aspect of the law. It was brought up in multiple posts in which Yankee ignored it as well. Please take the initiative and take a stab at what this might mean. The cops seem to hate it. My guess is that many lawyers are quite happy with this item.

I would like to discuss another aspect of this law which hasn't been much touched upon: the right of ordinary citizens to sue the police if they're not diligent enough in prosecuting illegal aliens. I would like the lawyer types to comment here. From a layman's POV (mine) it seems like this puts undue pressure on the police, invites litigation, and I don't know how this is going to be anything but a gigantic boondoggle which will end up costing taxpayers in Arizona oodles of money. But let's hear what you guys think.
I'm assuming with a little effort you could understand this. It seems interesting that the lawyers have repeatedly skirted this aspect of the law. It was brought up in multiple posts in which Yankee ignored it as well. Please take the initiative and take a stab at what this might mean. The cops seem to hate it. My guess is that many lawyers are quite happy with this item.
How about you start by pointing out where this "right to sue" exists.

Here's the text from the law:

G. A person who is a legal resident of this state may bring an action in superior court to challenge any official or agency of this state or a county, city, town or other political subdivision of this state that adopts or implements a policy or practice that limits or restricts the enforcement of federal immigration laws to less than the full extent permitted by federal law. If there is a judicial finding that an entity has violated this section, the court shall order that the entity pay a civil penalty of not less than one thousand dollars and not more than five thousand dollars for each day that the policy has remained in effect after the filing of an action pursuant to this subsection.

H. A court shall collect the civil penalty prescribed in subsection G of this section and remit the civil penalty to the state treasurer for deposit in the gang and immigration intelligence team enforcement mission fund established by section 41‑1724.

I. The court may award court costs and reasonable attorney fees to any person or any official or agency of this state or a county, city, town or other political subdivision of this state that prevails by an adjudication on the merits in a proceeding brought pursuant to this section.

J. Except in relation to matters in which the officer is adjudged to have acted in bad faith, a law enforcement officer is indemnified by the law enforcement officer's agency against reasonable costs and expenses, including attorney fees, incurred by the officer in connection with any action, suit or proceeding brought pursuant to this section in which the officer may be a defendant by reason of the officer being or having been a member of the law enforcement agency.

K. This section shall be implemented in a manner consistent with federal laws regulating immigration, protecting the civil rights of all persons and respecting the privileges and immunities of United States citizens.

How about you start by pointing out where this "right to sue" exists.
If I do what'll ya give me? More equivocation?I didn't write that, but I am assuming you've read the bill and can determine what Tim means. If not, I will happily await Yankee's answer, or that of one of our other fine barristers at large.

videoguy505 said:
Christo said:
timschochet said:

G. A person who is a legal resident of this state may bring an action in superior court to challenge any official or agency of this state or a county, city, town or other political subdivision of this state that adopts or implements a policy or practice that limits or restricts the enforcement of federal immigration laws to less than the full extent permitted by federal law. If there is a judicial finding that an entity has violated this section, the court shall order that the entity pay a civil penalty of not less than one thousand dollars and not more than five thousand dollars for each day that the policy has remained in effect after the filing of an action pursuant to this subsection.

H. A court shall collect the civil penalty prescribed in subsection G of this section and remit the civil penalty to the state treasurer for deposit in the gang and immigration intelligence team enforcement mission fund established by section 41‑1724.

I. The court may award court costs and reasonable attorney fees to any person or any official or agency of this state or a county, city, town or other political subdivision of this state that prevails by an adjudication on the merits in a proceeding brought pursuant to this section.

J. Except in relation to matters in which the officer is adjudged to have acted in bad faith, a law enforcement officer is indemnified by the law enforcement officer's agency against reasonable costs and expenses, including attorney fees, incurred by the officer in connection with any action, suit or proceeding brought pursuant to this section in which the officer may be a defendant by reason of the officer being or having been a member of the law enforcement agency.

K. This section shall be implemented in a manner consistent with federal laws regulating immigration, protecting the civil rights of all persons and respecting the privileges and immunities of United States citizens.
How is that relevant to timmy's claim that citizens can sue the police "if they're not diligent enough in prosecuting illegal aliens?" Oh yeah, I forgot that timmy can't read. There is no right to sue if police aren't diligent enough in prosecuting illegal aliens. As it clearly states, there is a cause of action if an agency or official "adopts or implements a policy or practice that limits or restricts the enforcement of federal immigration laws to less than the full extent permitted by federal law." In other words, people can sue a municipality if it refuses to enforce the law. I don't see a problem with that. If some liberal town council decides it's not going to let its police department enforce the law they should be sued.

How is that relevant to timmy's claim that citizens can sue the police "if they're not diligent enough in prosecuting illegal aliens?" Oh yeah, I forgot that timmy can't read. There is no right to sue if police aren't diligent enough in prosecuting illegal aliens. As it clearly states, there is a cause of action if an agency or official "adopts or implements a policy or practice that limits or restricts the enforcement of federal immigration laws to less than the full extent permitted by federal law." In other words, people can sue a municipality if it refuses to enforce the law. I don't see a problem with that. If some liberal town council decides it's not going to let its police department enforce the law they should be sued.
Is the police an agency? Is a police officer an official? (Questions not claims)

videoguy505 said:
Christo said:
timschochet said:

I'm no lawyer, but is the police force considered an agency? What if they implement a policy that they are not going to enforce this law? Then can a citizen sue them?

Is the police an agency? Is a police officer an official? (Questions not claims)
Beat me to it...

videoguy505 said:
Christo said:
timschochet said:

There are cops in AZ who would do just that (refuse to enforce the law), not some liberal town council. But again, I can see why lawyers are for this.

I think police/sheriff's departments would qualify as agencies and sheriffs & chiefs of police would be officials. Rather than the law enforcement agencies/officials, I think it's more likely targeted at local politicians who'd try to stop their local police departments from enforcing the law. The law specifically protects individual police officers from liability: "a law enforcement officer is indemnified by the law enforcement officer's agency against reasonable costs and expenses, including attorney fees, incurred by the officer in connection with any action, suit or proceeding brought pursuant to this section in which the officer may be a defendant by reason of the officer being or having been a member of the law enforcement agency."

Last edited by a moderator:
There are cops in AZ who would do just that (refuse to enforce the law), not some liberal town council. But again, I can see why lawyers are for this.
:confused: Then if those cops are high enough in the department to "adopt or implement a policy or practice" for their department they should be sued too. This provision is clearly not targeted at individual street cops.

videoguy505 said:
Christo said:
timschochet said:

I'm not going to presume to guess what's in Tim's head at any moment in time. Just trying to get the actual text into the discussion, rather than what Tim though he heard on the radio or read in an article or a blog somewhere. Trying to keep things on track.

That said, I guess if, hypothetically, the Tuscon Chief of Police established a department policy that "Any victim of violent crime may report a crime without being investigated for citizenship status", that could be a policy that limits or restricts the fullest extent of enforcement of immigration laws if a victim admits, during the course of the investigation, that they are in the country illegally and the police turn a blind eye to that fact (and decide not to turn the victim over to ICE) in accordance with the department's policy.

Maybe. I don't know, not a lawyerguy. But it seems to me as a layman, in that instance, a person could bring suit that the practice implemented restricts full enforcement.

If CoP isn't an official, then maybe if the mayor orders the policy? Again, not a lawyerguy. Not Timmy's mindreader either.

I think police/sheriff's departments would qualify as agencies and sheriffs & chiefs of police would be officials. Rather than the law enforcement agencies/officials, I think it's more likely targeted at local politicians who'd try to stop their local police departments from enforcing the law. The law specifically protects individual police officers from liability: "a law enforcement officer is indemnified by the law enforcement officer's agency against reasonable costs and expenses, including attorney fees, incurred by the officer in connection with any action, suit or proceeding brought pursuant to this section in which the officer may be a defendant by reason of the officer being or having been a member of the law enforcement agency."
This might be a biased summary and not the law, but are you referring to this?Section 2-I: Indemnifies police officers against costs and attorneys’ fees incurred in connection with any litigation brought by citizens and residents who were wrongfully detained, questioned, arrested, or transported, unless the officer was acting in bad faith.

Assuming this is fair and accurate, and what you mean then protecting an officer who violates someones right living up to the requirements of this law is not the same as protecting an officer who uses his discretion and doesn't pursue someones status to the fullest extent of law, does it?

Would willfully not enforcing the law be considered acting in bad faith? If not, what would constitute "bad faith"?

:lmao: Then if those cops are high enough in the department to "adopt or implement a policy or practice" for their department they should be sued too. This provision is clearly not targeted at individual street cops.
Well, yeah, one is the Sheriff of Pima County. So go get 'em, tiger.

Beat me to it...
Looking through the statute, the term "law enforcement agency" is used liberally.

This might be a biased summary and not the law, but are you referring to this?Section 2-I: Indemnifies police officers against costs and attorneys’ fees incurred in connection with any litigation brought by citizens and residents who were wrongfully detained, questioned, arrested, or transported, unless the officer was acting in bad faith.

Assuming this is fair and accurate, and what you mean then protecting an officer who violates someones right living up to the requirements of this law is not the same as protecting an officer who uses his discretion and doesn't pursue someones status to the fullest extent of law, does it?
I'm talking about the section we're discussing--the refusal to enforce the law.

Beat me to it...
Looking through the statute, the term "law enforcement agency" is used liberally.
Damned liberals. Chris, you aren't practicing in AZ, are you?

Governor hopeful Emmer calls Ariz. immigration law 'wonderful'

The Associated Press • April 29, 2010

ST. PAUL — One of Minnesota’s leading GOP candidates for governor applauded Arizona’s strict new law against illegal immigration on Wednesday, calling the crackdown “a wonderful first step.”

State Rep. Tom Emmer said he supports Arizona’s efforts to make immigrants prove their immigration status and require police to probe if they have “reasonable suspicion” a person is an illegal immigrant. He made the comments in a debate with his chief rival, Rep. Marty Seifert, broadcast on Minnesota Public Radio.

“We have certain immigration laws in this country, and when you have laws and you have a civil society that is based on the rule of law, you enforce the law,” Emmer said.

The immigration issue flared up two days before about 2,000 Republican activists meet to decide whether to endorse Seifert or Emmer. Both men have promised to drop out if they’re not endorsed. The contest is expected to be close and the candidates have been searching for any edge they can find. Until now, immigration has not been a major issue in the governor’s race.

Seifert didn’t directly endorse Arizona’s law but said that state is moving in the right direction.

“In concept, I think that they’re moving in the right direction of trying to get control of the situation, which is out of control,” Seifert said of the Arizona law after the debate. “I think most people agree with that.”

Later Wednesday, he unveiled a list of immigration positions that stopped short of Arizona-style measures. It said he would work to end local policies barring police from inquiring about immigration status, let local law enforcement get training to enforce immigration laws, work with federal authorities to deport illegal immigrants who are caught and require government agencies to check the immigration status of welfare recipients.

Seifert said he modeled his proposal on laws in Oklahoma, which passed a tough immigration law in 2007, and other states.

Outgoing GOP Gov. Tim Pawlenty has pushed for tougher immigration laws with little success since 2006. Minnesota’s Democratic-controlled Legislature has rejected proposals to require police to turn over illegal immigrants to federal authorities and other measures.

Both Emmer and Seifert said they would like to make driver’s licenses and state identification cards display a person’s citizenship status.

Emmer said he has tried for five years to pass bills that would require voters to show photo IDs before voting. One of the earlier versions would have made candidates for office provide proof of citizenship.

Seifert sponsored legislation to block illegal immigrants from getting college aid.

:lmao: Then if those cops are high enough in the department to "adopt or implement a policy or practice" for their department they should be sued too. This provision is clearly not targeted at individual street cops.
I'm not licensed to practice in Arizona. But I guaranty you someone will.

I'm talking about the section we're discussing--the refusal to enforce the law.
It looks like my summary was biased (or outdated). Assuming that this is the language in the actual signed bill-9 J. EXCEPT IN RELATION TO MATTERS IN WHICH THE OFFICER IS ADJUDGED TO

10 HAVE ACTED IN BAD FAITH, A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER IS INDEMNIFIED BY THE LAW

11 ENFORCEMENT OFFICER'S AGENCY AGAINST REASONABLE COSTS AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING

12 ATTORNEY FEES, INCURRED BY THE OFFICER IN CONNECTION WITH ANY ACTION, SUIT OR

13 PROCEEDING BROUGHT PURSUANT TO THIS SECTION IN WHICH THE OFFICER MAY BE A

14 DEFENDANT BY REASON OF THE OFFICER BEING OR HAVING BEEN A MEMBER OF THE LAW

15 ENFORCEMENT AGENCY.

Ray Stevens said:
As much as we would like to take race out of the equation, it may be difficult when the basis of a reasonable suspicion is contact with a Spanish speaking brown guy hanging out at Home Depot. You know why? Because it IS reasonable to suspect that guy might be illegal. But that doesn't make it right.
It's reasonable to suspect that most illegals are Mexican. It's not reasonable to suspect that most Mexicans are illegal.That's a very important distinction that many people seem to lose sight of. See: any thread involving Islam and terrorism.

Let me take some time away from my quest to improve my literacy skills in order to respond. So far as I can see, there is no actual difference between what I wrote and what the law says- at least, no difference that will present some attorney from suing. Anyone who is not diligent enough in prosecuting illegal aliens could be interpreted as someone who "limits or restricts the enforcement of federal immigration laws to less than the full extent",etc. What difference?If police officers are personally indemnified by these lawsuits, that only means the state of Arizona- and taxpayers within the state- will pay.

Let me take some time away from my quest to improve my literacy skills in order to respond. So far as I can see, there is no actual difference between what I wrote and what the law says- at least, no difference that will present some attorney from suing. Anyone who is not diligent enough in prosecuting illegal aliens could be interpreted as someone who "limits or restricts the enforcement of federal immigration laws to less than the full extent",etc. What difference?If police officers are personally indemnified by these lawsuits, that only means the state of Arizona- and taxpayers within the state- will pay.
I refuse to engage in a discussion with you because, as usual, you willfully ignore the operative language of the statute.

I refuse to engage in a discussion with you because, as usual, you willfully ignore the operative language of the statute.
Because I interpret it differently than you do does not mean I am ignoring it. If you can provide a legal analysis that matches your interpretation I'll certainly read it. I have already read a few opinions that bolsters my own.

Statement from the Arizona Association of Chiefs of Police:

The Arizona Association of Chiefs of Police (AACOP) remains in opposition to Senate

Bill (SB) 1070. The provisions of the bill remain problematic and will negatively affect

the ability of law enforcement agencies across the state to fulfill their many

responsibilities in a timely manner.

While AACOP recognizes immigration as a significant issue in Arizona, we remain

strong in our belief that it is an issue most appropriately addressed at the federal level.

AACOP strongly urges the U. S. Congress to immediately initiate the necessary steps to

begin the process of comprehensively addressing the immigration issue to provide

solutions that are fair, logical, and equitable.

Should SB 1070 be signed into law by the Governor of Arizona, law enforcement

professionals in the State of Arizona will enforce the provisions of the statute to the best

of their abilities.

:loco: Then if those cops are high enough in the department to "adopt or implement a policy or practice" for their department they should be sued too. This provision is clearly not targeted at individual street cops.
I'm not licensed to practice in Arizona. But I guaranty you someone will.
Precisely my point, my man. And that someone should be you.I've got plenty of family still in the area, many of whom could pass for illegals (you know what I mean). We could get a van full and parade 'em up and down I-10. Assuming they don't get pulled over, we could be fairly certain some law abiding citizens will get wind of this (hint, hint) and we could drum up some business. Conversely, if they do get pulled over and taken in -- with the adequate coaching from yours truly and the help of counsel, of course -- we could have a lawsuit of a different flavor on our hands. It's a win-win-win.So, how long do you think you need to pass the AZ Bar?

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor should buy an old pickup truck and drive around Arizona to get pulled over.

This law is unconstitutional and will not stand up to a judicial constitutional review.

Seriously? I'm being accused of ignoring a question? Really?

I agree with christo on the lawsuit question. I don't think ytou can read it as any joe can sue any cop that doesn't harrass a mexican. It's directed to policy. Creation.

Continuing the words mean things refrain, police officers don't prosecute.

Statement from the Arizona Association of Chiefs of Police:The Arizona Association of Chiefs of Police (AACOP) remains in opposition to SenateBill (SB) 1070. The provisions of the bill remain problematic and will negatively affectthe ability of law enforcement agencies across the state to fulfill their manyresponsibilities in a timely manner.While AACOP recognizes immigration as a significant issue in Arizona, we remainstrong in our belief that it is an issue most appropriately addressed at the federal level.AACOP strongly urges the U. S. Congress to immediately initiate the necessary steps tobegin the process of comprehensively addressing the immigration issue to providesolutions that are fair, logical, and equitable.Should SB 1070 be signed into law by the Governor of Arizona, law enforcementprofessionals in the State of Arizona will enforce the provisions of the statute to the bestof their abilities.
More and more people just want to bury their heads in the sand and pretend there isn't a problem.

After reading much of this thread, this article perfectly sums up the problem with this law. Either its a big hoax or in carrying it out cops will be doing so illegally.

Gee thanks. But I used that word, its not in the law. The law uses the word "enforce". Police do enforce, don't they?

Statement from the Arizona Association of Chiefs of Police:

The Arizona Association of Chiefs of Police (AACOP) remains in opposition to Senate

Bill (SB) 1070. The provisions of the bill remain problematic and will negatively affect

the ability of law enforcement agencies across the state to fulfill their many

responsibilities in a timely manner.

While AACOP recognizes immigration as a significant issue in Arizona, we remain

strong in our belief that it is an issue most appropriately addressed at the federal level.

AACOP strongly urges the U. S. Congress to immediately initiate the necessary steps to

begin the process of comprehensively addressing the immigration issue to provide

solutions that are fair, logical, and equitable.

Should SB 1070 be signed into law by the Governor of Arizona, law enforcement

professionals in the State of Arizona will enforce the provisions of the statute to the best

of their abilities.
More and more people just want to bury their heads in the sand and pretend there isn't a problem.
Please read it again. There's a difference between denying a problem and disagreeing with the proposed solution.

Do you not think there is a difference between a police officer who refuses to apply the law because of his personal choosing and a police officer who can't enforce the law because his superiors are telling him he's not allowed?In layman's terms, that's what Christo is saying....I agree with him and YF.

I'm no lawyer, but is the police force considered an agency? What if they implement a policy that they are not going to enforce this law? Then can a citizen sue them?
Citizens are suing the police departments and municipal governments here in Colorado regarding their intentional failure to enforce illegal immigration laws.A young boy was killed in an ice cream shop when a guy ran a red light at 70 mph, broadsided another car, and the wreck spun into the shop where the boy was eating ice cream. Turns out two people in the other car were killed as well in the incident. Also turns out that the offending driver was an illegal who had been arrested at least 19 other times prior to that in various municipalities and the fact that he was illegal turned up in the police reports. The parents are suing under the premise that had someone done their job in any of the prior arrests rather than simply following sanctuary guidelines rampant in the Denver Metro area, their boy would still be alive.It ought to be interesting to see how this turns out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at it from the other point of view for once. Those against amnesty have been promised increased enforcement and tighter borders for the past 25+ years. It was one of the compromises to get the last amnesty through. Yet, it's never happened. So if there's to be a new compromise that trades some form of amnesty for tighter borders and stricter enforcement going forward, why wouldn't those in favor of the tighter borders and stricter enforcement portion of the compromise demand some form of proof first?Or, to put it another way, if group A knows that group B won't live up to their end of a compromise, why should group A agree to compromise in the first place?
Rich, I never did respond to this point, and I think its very important. I do recognize that many people who are concerned about increased enforcement of the border are not going to accept any compromise that allows for a path to citizenship, because you don't believe the borders will really be enforced. For my part, I'm skeptical of a 'let's fix the borders first" approach, because I don't believe your side will ever agree to a path to citizenship. So we are at an impasse, which is why immigration reform failed in 2006. You don't like the idea of amnesty. I don't like the idea of tightening the borders. There are many more people that agree with you than agree with me, yet it seems that the elites in our society tend to agree with me; so for the moment, it's a draw. Are we going to come to a compromise here, or simply be forever unable to reach any viable solution to this issue? I have no idea. What do you think?

I agree with christo on the lawsuit question. I don't think ytou can read it as any joe can sue any cop that doesn't harrass a mexican. It's directed to policy. Creation.
I'm shocked.
I don't know why. You've already accepted that the actual law is over your head. The language of the law does not back up your seeming assertion that joe citizen can sue joe cop.

Do you not think there is a difference between a police officer who refuses to apply the law because of his personal choosing and a police officer who can't enforce the law because his superiors are telling him he's not allowed?In layman's terms, that's what Christo is saying....I agree with him and YF.
Sure there's a difference in fact, but it's irrelevant to my point. My point is that lawyers are going to sue anyhow, because the law encourages them to do so.

Do you not think there is a difference between a police officer who aggressively applies the law because of his personal choosing and a police officer who aggressively enforces the law because his superiors are telling him he must? And are you OK with those "superiors" being ordinary citizens with little to no idea about the issues of the police force suing the police force, or town, or county, or whatever?

Gee thanks. But I used that word, its not in the law. The law uses the word "enforce". Police do enforce, don't they?
They do. In support of policy already created by the agencies referenxed in the law that could be subject to the litigation clause. It is pretty clear that barring some truly awful action individual cops are not subject or indemnified.

Look at it from the other point of view for once. Those against amnesty have been promised increased enforcement and tighter borders for the past 25+ years. It was one of the compromises to get the last amnesty through. Yet, it's never happened. So if there's to be a new compromise that trades some form of amnesty for tighter borders and stricter enforcement going forward, why wouldn't those in favor of the tighter borders and stricter enforcement portion of the compromise demand some form of proof first?Or, to put it another way, if group A knows that group B won't live up to their end of a compromise, why should group A agree to compromise in the first place?
Rich, I never did respond to this point, and I think its very important. I do recognize that many people who are concerned about increased enforcement of the border are not going to accept any compromise that allows for a path to citizenship, because you don't believe the borders will really be enforced. For my part, I'm skeptical of a 'let's fix the borders first" approach, because I don't believe your side will ever agree to a path to citizenship. So we are at an impasse, which is why immigration reform failed in 2006. You don't like the idea of amnesty. I don't like the idea of tightening the borders. There are many more people that agree with you than agree with me, yet it seems that the elites in our society tend to agree with me; so for the moment, it's a draw. Are we going to come to a compromise here, or simply be forever unable to reach any viable solution to this issue? I have no idea. What do you think?
And this is the crux of it Tim.Just to put it in one perspective by using an issue that I have seen you discuss before so maybe you can understand where people on my side are coming from. Israel agreed in the 90's to pretty much everything the Palestinians wanted other than the right of return and instead of peace they got the fatwa (I think that is the correct term :confused: ). So should Israel now turn around and give up more land for the future promise of peace? Or should they make the Palestinians show that they are serious and will follow through first?I know the 2 situations aren't the same, but do you kind of see the point I am trying to make? One side in this debate has recent history to back up what they claim and the other side has vague promises of future actions that have been agree to in the past but never followed through on.

I'm shocked.
I don't know why. You've already accepted that the actual law is over your head. The language of the law does not back up your seeming assertion that joe citizen can sue joe cop.
What I wrote is that the law, as it pertains to the constitution, is over my head. i also wrote that there are plenty of legal experts who disagree with your interpretations of this law, both in general and with regard to this specific issue. As far as my own POV, I never meant to say that joe citizen could sue joe cop, but that he could sue the State of Arizona when joe cop appeared not to be diligent enough, for whatever reason. And he will.

I'm shocked.
Why not? I realize there is section J to protect the officer, but what in this language keeps a resident from suing an officer for "looking the other way" as a matter of "practice"?
36 G. A PERSON WHO IS A LEGAL RESIDENT OF THIS STATE MAY BRING AN ACTION

37 IN SUPERIOR COURT TO CHALLENGE ANY OFFICIAL OR AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A

38 COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE THAT ADOPTS

39 OR IMPLEMENTS A POLICY OR PRACTICE THAT LIMITS OR RESTRICTS THE ENFORCEMENT

40 OF FEDERAL IMMIGRATION LAWS TO LESS THAN THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY FEDERAL

41 LAW.

Sure there's a difference in fact, but it's irrelevant to my point. My point is that lawyers are going to sue anyhow, because the law encourages them to do so.
So its a bad law becausew its a law? You make less sense with each post.

And this is the crux of it Tim.Just to put it in one perspective by using an issue that I have seen you discuss before so maybe you can understand where people on my side are coming from. Israel agreed in the 90's to pretty much everything the Palestinians wanted other than the right of return and instead of peace they got the fatwa (I think that is the correct term :unsure: ). So should Israel now turn around and give up more land for the future promise of peace? Or should they make the Palestinians show that they are serious and will follow through first?I know the 2 situations aren't the same, but do you kind of see the point I am trying to make? One side in this debate has recent history to back up what they claim and the other side has vague promises of future actions that have been agree to in the past but never followed through on.
Yes. When you put things in that perspective, I absolutely agree. Let me go a step further, even. Many of the people on my "side" are disingenous. They will never admit in public what they really want, especially the politicians. They want amnesty and they don't really want to tighten the borders. That is the truth. But they won't tell you that, because they know the majority of Americans are very much against it. I can afford to be honest about this because I'm just an internet poster, not a politician, and I know my views on this issue are not popular and don't really give a ####. But politicians who privately agree with me (and there's a lot of them) are all terrified of your side, which is the majority, so they will continue to lie to you. But you already know this.

Well, yeah...and water is wet. None of that has to do with the law rather the nature of the lawyer. People can/will sue for just about anything. Any time a new law comes on the books, I bet the lawyers are into the law to see where they can get angles.

I'm shocked.
What I wrote is that the law, as it pertains to the constitution, is over my head. i also wrote that there are plenty of legal experts who disagree with your interpretations of this law, both in general and with regard to this specific issue. As far as my own POV, I never meant to say that joe citizen could sue joe cop, but that he could sue the State of Arizona when joe cop appeared not to be diligent enough, for whatever reason. And he will.
This law is above everybody's head as it pertains to the constitution (YankeesFan protestations to the contrary). No one knows how the court will rule and anybody who says otherwise is either full of themselves or fooling themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread