What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FINLEY! FINLEY! FINLEY! (1 Viewer)

The main reason I came to the forums tonight was to read about who you all have on your fantasy teams. It's been a great visit!

I have Gates AND Finley.....I feel like this is going to give me a headache all season long.
I have both as well and not sure what to do. Want to trade one but im scared too.
Keep both. I had Owen Daniels and Antonio Gates last season in my redraft and traded Antonio Gates away for an upgrade at WR. When Owen Daniels went down it was the demise of my team that was actually extremely solid.. but the scoring system didn't allow for bad games at TE. I actually lost 1 game all season and it was the championship game where Brent Celek caught 1 pass for a 46 yard TD and garnered like 17 pts for that 1 catch. It's a great problem to have, I say you keep your headache.

I had him in 1 dynasty league and traded him. At the time, i thought i HAD to do it, and this was before Holmes' suspension-

I got: Ray Rice, Holmes, F. Davis, 3.09 rookie pick

I gave: S-Jackson, Doucet, Steve Johnson, Finley

Even with the RB and WR upgrade, and having Witten and Cooley in this league at TE, its still hard to move Finley. He's THAT good.

I pick # 3. Been thinking about taking Finley at 3.03. Thoughts?
same boat as you- a week ago you could have drafted him towards the end of the 4th round but if you really want him you will have tograb him earlier...I'm giving it some thought but at the same time don't want to reach too high for a TE-At 3.03 you can draft players like Romo, Pierre Thomas, both Steve Smiths...Is it worth an early 3rd rounder ??Finley looks like a guy who could easily score 15 TDs and 1200 as a TE if it's what it seems-

same boat as you- a week ago you could have drafted him towards the end of the 4th round but if you really want him you will have tograb him earlier...I'm giving it some thought but at the same time don't want to reach too high for a TE-At 3.03 you can draft players like Romo, Pierre Thomas, both Steve Smiths...Is it worth an early 3rd rounder ??Finley looks like a guy who could easily score 15 TDs and 1200 as a TE if it's what it seems-
He really isn't a TE, he is basically a WR that block once and a while. I our league we can use TE as flex.

I love Finley and really want him this year, but 3.03 is crazy talk to take him. I wouldnt take him before the 5th round, and by then I think he's a great value

I drafted finley at 3.8 . Before I even took a RB. ( Went Marshall and Megatron) went Best in the 4th round. I think Finleys numbers are off the chart this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
No TE in history has ever scored 15 TDs in a single season. 1200/15 would work out to 210 fantasy points, which would also be a TE record. For some perspective, that's how many points Andre Johnson scored last year. ANDRE JOHNSON. The guy who is going top 6 in most drafts this season. And Finley's a TE, not a WR. If you really believed that Finley could "easily" score 15 TDs and 1200 yards, then you should draft him in the first round to be super sure you get him. If he puts up those numbers, he'll more than justify the 1st round pick. Last year, 210 fantasy points would have given Finley a higher VBD than Ray Rice.Most people who are spouting off projections for Finley have absolutely no sense of context. He's not getting 15 TDs. He's not getting 1200 yards. He's not scoring more points than Tony Gonzalez, Shannon Sharpe, Kellen Winslow, and every other HoF TE in the history of the NFL has ever scored in a single season. I don't care how good he is, it's not happening.

No TE in history has ever scored 15 TDs in a single season. 1200/15 would work out to 210 fantasy points, which would also be a TE record. For some perspective, that's how many points Andre Johnson scored last year. ANDRE JOHNSON. The guy who is going top 6 in most drafts this season. And Finley's a TE, not a WR. If you really believed that Finley could "easily" score 15 TDs and 1200 yards, then you should draft him in the first round to be super sure you get him. If he puts up those numbers, he'll more than justify the 1st round pick. Last year, 210 fantasy points would have given Finley a higher VBD than Ray Rice.Most people who are spouting off projections for Finley have absolutely no sense of context. He's not getting 15 TDs. He's not getting 1200 yards. He's not scoring more points than Tony Gonzalez, Shannon Sharpe, Kellen Winslow, and every other HoF TE in the history of the NFL has ever scored in a single season. I don't care how good he is, it's not happening.
:goodposting:

Different time my friend. Adapt or die is the rule.

Records are only records until they're broken. And some TEs have been on pace to do that well if you prorate out to a 16 game season. (Just kidding, I agree with you -- this guy hasnt even put up ONE monster season yet.)

last season Vernon Davis had 965 yds and 13 TDs-why can't Finley score two more times ? he's a TE playing WR in one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL & if you believe in strength of schedule then the GB TE has great match ups this season-

I think it is safe to say that Finley is a top 3 TE this year probably. He is easily one of the best red zone targets on his team. Gates and Clark might be more consistant week to week. But I think Finley could single handidly win some games for fantasy owners if he plays like he has in preseason and the end of 09 season.

Finley is not a complete TE like Vernon Davis so its hard to put him any higher than Vernon and in redraft Id still take Gates and Clark is he's #4 for me probably #2 in dynasty

I think Finley is going to have an excellent season, but let's also not forget that Greg Jennings didn't even play tonight.

It's a different time than last year when Vernon Davis scored more fantasy points than any TE in the last 25 years and still finished THIRTY POINTS SHY of 210? Again, it's simple. If you really believe that Jermichael Finley will come anywhere close to 210 fantasy points, draft him in the first round. With totals like that, he'd justify the draft pick and then some. Anyone here ready to suggest that Jermichael Finley would be a good draft pick in the first round?

Records are only records until they're broken. And some TEs have been on pace to do that well if you prorate out to a 16 game season. (Just kidding, I agree with you -- this guy hasnt even put up ONE monster season yet.)
No. No TE has ever been on pace to do that well, even if you pro-rate. The closest was Mike Ditka, who was on pace for 205 fantasy points. Todd Christensen once scored 196. Other than those two guys and Jackie Smith, nobody's come within 20 points of 210, even if you pro-rate.
last season Vernon Davis had 965 yds and 13 TDs-

why can't Finley score two more times ? he's a TE playing WR in one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL & if you believe in strength of schedule then the GB TE has great match ups this season-
Last season Vernon Davis tied the NFL record for TDs by a TE. The reason that Jermichael Finley can't score two more times is because IT'S AN NFL RECORD and those don't get broken very frequently. He's a 3rd year guy with 750 career receiving yards and people are projecting him to break every TE record on the books. It's absurdly ludicrously ridiculous. It's the TE equivalent of projecting Michael Crabtree for 150 receptions, 1900 yards, and 25 TDs.And people aren't just saying Finley will break the records, they're saying he'll easily break the records. He'll just cruise right on past them like it ain't no thang. You know, because there have never been any TEs in the history of the NFL as talented as Jermichael Finley (*coughcoughKELLENWINSLOWcough*). Because no TE has ever been the focal point of his team's passing game (*coughTONYGONZALEZcoughcough*). Because no TE has lined up the majority of his snaps at WR or played for a great QB (*coughDALLASCLARKcoughcoughcough*).

:thumbup:

It's a different time than last year when Vernon Davis scored more fantasy points than any TE in the last 25 years and still finished THIRTY POINTS SHY of 210? Again, it's simple. If you really believe that Jermichael Finley will come anywhere close to 210 fantasy points, draft him in the first round. With totals like that, he'd justify the draft pick and then some. Anyone here ready to suggest that Jermichael Finley would be a good draft pick in the first round?

No. No TE has ever been on pace to do that well, even if you pro-rate. The closest was Mike Ditka, who was on pace for 205 fantasy points. Todd Christensen once scored 196. Other than those two guys and Jackie Smith, nobody's come within 20 points of 210, even if you pro-rate.
last season Vernon Davis had 965 yds and 13 TDs-

why can't Finley score two more times ? he's a TE playing WR in one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL & if you believe in strength of schedule then the GB TE has great match ups this season-
Last season Vernon Davis tied the NFL record for TDs by a TE. The reason that Jermichael Finley can't score two more times is because IT'S AN NFL RECORD and those don't get broken very frequently. He's a 3rd year guy with 750 career receiving yards and people are projecting him to break every TE record on the books. It's absurdly ludicrously ridiculous. It's the TE equivalent of projecting Michael Crabtree for 150 receptions, 1900 yards, and 25 TDs.And people aren't just saying Finley will break the records, they're saying he'll easily break the records. He'll just cruise right on past them like it ain't no thang. You know, because there have never been any TEs in the history of the NFL as talented as Jermichael Finley (*coughcoughKELLENWINSLOWcough*). Because no TE has ever been the focal point of his team's passing game (*coughTONYGONZALEZcoughcough*). Because no TE has lined up the majority of his snaps at WR or played for a great QB (*coughDALLASCLARKcoughcoughcough*).
im going to enjoy bumping this come january

Perhaps you're forgetting Dave Parks' famous 1965 campaign of 80/1344/12 over 14 games? Or Ryan Krause's Herculean effort in 2004 which would prorate out to 226 fantasy points?

Not saying Finley isn't gonna be really good this year, but I remember all kinds of talk in preseason last year about how great he was gonna be last year and then the season started and he caught five balls in the first three games. Again, not saying this is gonna happen again, but just saying...

Not saying Finley isn't gonna be really good this year, but I remember all kinds of talk in preseason last year about how great he was gonna be last year and then the season started and he caught five balls in the first three games. Again, not saying this is gonna happen again, but just saying...
he didnt start last year. at all. not even at the end of the season when he was getting targeted. took until this offseason for him to be declared starter.if youre gonna try to temper enthusiasm, at least make a comment with some sense in it

he didnt start last year. at all. not even at the end of the season when he was getting targeted. took until this offseason for him to be declared starter.if youre gonna try to temper enthusiasm, at least make a comment with some sense in it
Calm down, fanboy. I didn't say anything that wasn't true. Starter or not, everyone had crazy high expectations for him last year, too, and while he was good for much of the year, he wasn't "all that" like some predicted he would be. But you are right. I will stop trying to temper enthusiasm. I think Finley is the best TE I have ever seen, and I will be surprised if he doesn't score 20 touchdowns this year. That better?

And he was playing on a hurt knee for the majority of the season.

I really had no expectations for him last year, I think the Minn. game where he went nuts was the first time I thought he might be a good pick.

Pretty sure he was starting or at least playing more than Lee in the last 6 weeks though.

I really had no expectations for him last year, I think the Minn. game where he went nuts was the first time I thought he might be a good pick.Pretty sure he was starting or at least playing more than Lee in the last 6 weeks though.
definitely played more than lee, but never got the starting gig. probably because of the problems they had protecting rodgers, needed all the blocking they could get

im going to enjoy bumping this come january
I'm betting that a 3rd year TE with 750 career receiving yards does *NOT* break every single TE record on the books. Somehow, I'm not worried about it. For the record, I'm also not sweating my predictions that Michael Crabtree will not get 1900 yards and 25 scores and that Shonn Greene won't get 2500 yards and 35 scores.Again, at the end of the day, if people really believed the projections they're tossing out for Finley, they'd be willing to draft him in the middle of the first round. Is there *ANYONE* here that would draft Finley with the #6 pick? Anyone? Say you knew that the guy at the 10 spot was going to scoop him up before he got back to you, is there seriously anyone here who would draft Jermichael Finley with the 6th pick of their draft? Because if not, that just proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that even the guys who are saying he's going to get 1200/15 don't believe that he's going to get 1200/15.
Perhaps you're forgetting Dave Parks' famous 1965 campaign of 80/1344/12 over 14 games? Or Ryan Krause's Herculean effort in 2004 which would prorate out to 226 fantasy points?
I looked into Parks after the last time we started discussing how Jermichael Finley wasn't about to shatter every single TE record on the books by 20%. The guy was a WR. No clue why the Historical Data Dominator spits him out as a TE.
I didn't say anything that wasn't true. Starter or not, everyone had crazy high expectations for him last year, too, and while he was good for much of the year, he wasn't "all that" like some predicted he would be. But you are right. I will stop trying to temper enthusiasm. I think Finley is the best TE I have ever seen, and I will be surprised if he doesn't score 20 touchdowns this year. That better?
What message board were you on that was pimping Finley last offseason? Guy's ADP was TE22. I've never seen any guy with "crazy high expectations" coming off the board as the 22nd guy at ANY position, especially TE.

I got two turntables and a microphone.

Also, the Finley predictions are out of control. Let someone else take him in the 3rd round and grab Celek 3-4 rounds later.

Regardless of whether or not Finley breaks all TE records or not, he looks like he's in for a fantastic year. Rodgers clearly loves throwing the ball to him, and he's borderline uncoverable. To me he looks like the Larry Fitzgerald of the TE position.

When looking at the question of Finley breaking all TE records, I think one needs to look at the Packers in general. They are a team that lives by the pass. They also have a QB in Rodgers that has broken many passing records over the course of his first two years as a starter. I believe he's actually broken almost allv records for QBs after two years of starting. So why is it not possible or likely that Finley could break all the TE records?

It seems to me that can't be covered by a LB or safety, and is far too tall for almost every CB in the league. Finley is borderline ridiculous IMO. He's more of an enigma than Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson IMO. I believe that while it may not necessarily happen this year, Finley has a very realistic chance of breaking all the TE records, and making them much closer to WR records. He's just that good in the passing game, and has a fantastic QB distributing the ball.

I can see it already... I draft Rodgers and Finley, and the Packers have home field advantage wrapped up before week 16.

:hangover:

Users who are viewing this thread