What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FINLEY! FINLEY! FINLEY! (2 Viewers)

God, I really wish he hadn't done that last night. Now somebody in my league is going to jump on him early before I can pounce :rolleyes:

When a player gets hyped like this and their ADP and auction shoot up THIS high - then basically all the upside is taken from the equation. If you are taking a TE 1st or 2nd off the board, there is little upside at all. Gates was $20 in our auction that just started and Finley is already $18 - that is crazy logic. Gates is super consistent, Finley had a nice finish to 2009 and a good game the other night. As a TE 4-6 off the board he has upside, not when you build the upside into his value. If you draft a guy or buy him based on almost all of his upside, then it's just another purchase - you aren't "gaining" any value. The first few rounds are basically to avoid a big mistake - banking on a guy, like someone else in this thread mentioned, with 750 career receiving yards as your locked and loaded stud TE in the 3rd or 4th round (or as much money as Gates), is playing with fire.

I have Gates AND Finley.....I feel like this is going to give me a headache all season long.
trade gates and keep finley.
Nothing wrong with having depth at a certain position..if you can afford to. I have both as well in a dynasty league, and considered trading Gate(i have Keeler too), but i dont have any real holes to fill, so i will keep them both. Sure, it might be a bit of an issue deciding which one to play each week, but its not a bad problem to have. If you have a void at another position, then try to package Gates in a deal to get an upgrade at that position. Either way, i wouldnt feel the need to trade either, especially if you can use one of them in a flex spot.

Again, at the end of the day, if people really believed the projections they're tossing out for Finley, they'd be willing to draft him in the middle of the first round. Is there *ANYONE* here that would draft Finley with the #6 pick? Anyone? Say you knew that the guy at the 10 spot was going to scoop him up before he got back to you, is there seriously anyone here who would draft Jermichael Finley with the 6th pick of their draft? Because if not, that just proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that even the guys who are saying he's going to get 1200/15 don't believe that he's going to get 1200/15.
In this scenario where people are telling me whom they plan to pick before the draft is Elvis there and are there unicorns flying around? Is one of the guys in the league a leprechaun? Will I be able to go outside and sit under my money tree for a few minutes to think about whether to take Finley at 1.06?I'm having trouble with this argument that you keep making. You seem to be suggesting that people should totally ignore ADP and make ridiculous reaches on a guy who they are overly enthusiastic about or they should stop being so unrealistic and start being more responsible with their projections. Where is there a rule that you have to draft a guy at the spot that would justify where you are projecting them? I personally think that LenDale White is going to have close to 3,000 total yards this year and 28 TDs at a minimum, but there's no way I'm taking him at 1.01 when all of the data tells me that I can wait until much later in my draft. Now I might decide to get him in the 18th round instead of the 24th just in case there's another crazy nut job in my league who believes that this is the year that LenWhale puts it all together but I'd be a fool to not consider ADP and the likelihood of when he could be taken by someone else. I think the Jermichael Finley fanboys are trying to find that point where they can safely wait without fear of another fanboy jumping all over him. It seems to me that 3.03 takes into account both the ridiculous projection AND a careful consideration of ADP.

I think this comes down to how people view projections. Those in the "industry" believe they have a responsibility to look at history and that it would be irresponsible to project a record-breaking year. It's probably a good idea to be conservative since it reduces your chances of being dead wrong and it doesn't open you up to ridicule. If you want people to keep coming back to your site, blog, or whatever, you want them to feel that they can rely on you and making bold, irresponsible projections can certainly make you unreliable. To be honest though, I think most of the industry guys are so afraid to be bold that they end up following the herd. When no one has the balls to predict something dangerous, fantasy advice all starts to run together.

Then you've got the message boards where boldness is the name of the game. We aren't accountable to our clients or to the consumer. We don't care if no one reads another one of our posts again. We're here to let off steam, make crazy predictions, and then bump them later in the year when they're right (or wrong) to taunt each other. Some people use the message boards as a gauge. If someone predicts 1200 and 15 TDs for Finley and 9 out of 10 responses are: "you're crazy" then that person has gained some insight into just how much of a fanboy he is and maybe he can adjust his draft board accordingly. But if he finds that others are in agreement or could see it happening, then he's gained some insight there as well and might want to bump Finley up his draft board.

Last edited by a moderator:
fdctrumpet said:
When a player gets hyped like this and their ADP and auction shoot up THIS high - then basically all the upside is taken from the equation. If you are taking a TE 1st or 2nd off the board, there is little upside at all. Gates was $20 in our auction that just started and Finley is already $18 - that is crazy logic. Gates is super consistent, Finley had a nice finish to 2009 and a good game the other night. As a TE 4-6 off the board he has upside, not when you build the upside into his value. If you draft a guy or buy him based on almost all of his upside, then it's just another purchase - you aren't "gaining" any value. The first few rounds are basically to avoid a big mistake - banking on a guy, like someone else in this thread mentioned, with 750 career receiving yards as your locked and loaded stud TE in the 3rd or 4th round (or as much money as Gates), is playing with fire.
We're doing our dynasty auction draft on Sunday for free agents and it will be interesting what he goes for. Our cap this year is something like $230 and Gates is the highest TE in the league at $24. I think in the land of cheese here, Finley goes for close to $30 (again, dynasty though contract lengths can be variable). This is a fairly high value (low end WR#1, mid RB#2) so whoever buys him will be buying into the hype. I guess we'll see what happens, maybe this thread deserves a bump in a few months.

Guys, I'm in a super intense high stakes big money league and am sitting at pick 1.7. CJ2K, ADP, MoJo, Burner, Frank-Go and Camarillo are already off the board. I'm having a tough time choosing between Finley and An-Jo; thoughts?

Guys, I'm in a super intense high stakes big money league and am sitting at pick 1.7. CJ2K, ADP, MoJo, Burner, Frank-Go and Camarillo are already off the board. I'm having a tough time choosing between Finley and An-Jo; thoughts?
:goodposting: horrible

SSOG said:
What message board were you on that was pimping Finley last offseason? Guy's ADP was TE22. I've never seen any guy with "crazy high expectations" coming off the board as the 22nd guy at ANY position, especially TE.
This one. I remember some totally raving over the guy and saying how he was gonna be studly last year. I don't use this site for rankings or whatever, so him being the TE22 is news to me. He did go earlier than I would have thought in two of the three drafts I was in, and went for 4 or 5 bucks in my auction league (when the 22nd ranked TE would usually go for 1 buck). Just saying...:goodposting:Anyway, I think the guy IS gonna be great this year, and I hope to land him in one or both of the drafts I still have, but I am just saying, let's not talk about the guy like he is the first coming of the greatest TE ever.

Does your league give points for zombie kills?

fdctrumpet said:
:thumbup: Best post in this thread

fdctrumpet said:
:thumbup: Best post in this thread
Agreed

I was at the game last night. As big a game as he had, there was so much more he could have gotten. I would not blame anybody for taking him before Gates or anybody else at TE. He's not a TE with some nice upside that had a nice finish to 2009. He's in that elite catagory right now. I don't know about record breaking stuff, but those of you who think you can get the same production from Brent Celek 3 rounds later, are going to be very disappointed.

Finley over Witten ?
IN PPR leagues, probably not, but in a standard league, probably. Witten is simply not a scorer. He is money in PPR leagues (271 catches the last three years), but if you are looking for TDs out of your TE, look somewhere else. Witten has 27 TD catches in 111 games (101 starts).

It is a PPR league and I'm assuming Witten gets more then 2 td's this season

Finley over Witten ?
IN PPR leagues, probably not, but in a standard league, probably. Witten is simply not a scorer. He is money in PPR leagues (271 catches the last three years), but if you are looking for TDs out of your TE, look somewhere else. Witten has 27 TD catches in 111 games (101 starts).

Why I love the shark pool:

Snatched Finley up for nothing in two dynasty leagues a year ago, because I hopped on the shark pool and read threads like: this

Nice job "Man in the Yellow Hat".

Not saying Finley isn't gonna be really good this year, but I remember all kinds of talk in preseason last year about how great he was gonna be last year and then the season started and he caught five balls in the first three games. Again, not saying this is gonna happen again, but just saying...
he didnt start last year. at all. not even at the end of the season when he was getting targeted. took until this offseason for him to be declared starter.if youre gonna try to temper enthusiasm, at least make a comment with some sense in it
Calm down, fanboy. I didn't say anything that wasn't true. Starter or not, everyone had crazy high expectations for him last year, too, and while he was good for much of the year, he wasn't "all that" like some predicted he would be. But you are right. I will stop trying to temper enthusiasm. I think Finley is the best TE I have ever seen, and I will be surprised if he doesn't score 20 touchdowns this year. That better?
Crazy enough, he is scoring a TD per half over three games already. He would be on pace for 16-18 Tds. Its very possible the way GB is basically using him as a WR and the fact that the QB is playing flawless football...plus Finley shares no time this year.

Regardless of whether or not Finley breaks all TE records or not, he looks like he's in for a fantastic year. Rodgers clearly loves throwing the ball to him, and he's borderline uncoverable. To me he looks like the Larry Fitzgerald of the TE position. When looking at the question of Finley breaking all TE records, I think one needs to look at the Packers in general. They are a team that lives by the pass. They also have a QB in Rodgers that has broken many passing records over the course of his first two years as a starter. I believe he's actually broken almost allv records for QBs after two years of starting. So why is it not possible or likely that Finley could break all the TE records?It seems to me that can't be covered by a LB or safety, and is far too tall for almost every CB in the league. Finley is borderline ridiculous IMO. He's more of an enigma than Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson IMO. I believe that while it may not necessarily happen this year, Finley has a very realistic chance of breaking all the TE records, and making them much closer to WR records. He's just that good in the passing game, and has a fantastic QB distributing the ball.
Dallas Clark plays as much WR as Jermichael Finley, and he also plays in a pass-first offense with a bona fide first ballot HoF QB. Tony Gonzalez played for many years as the only viable target in the passing game for a team with the best offense and the worst defense in the NFL. Kellen Winslow Sr. was a first-team AP All Pro playing for an offense that was a decade ahead of its time and that rewrote most of the record books- he twice led the league in receptions. Antonio Gates this season is pretty much option 1, 2, and 3 for a one of the three best QBs in the entire NFL (yes, Rivers is better than Rodgers). It's not like Finley is the first talented TE to find himself in a favorable situation. When last I checked, Finley still had to share looks with Jennings, Driver, Jones, and Nelson, to boot. And he still played for a QB that was a TD vulture in the red zone. Suggesting that he's going to top all of these luminaries who have come before is, in my mind, disrespectful to all of these luminaries who have come before.
In this scenario where people are telling me whom they plan to pick before the draft is Elvis there and are there unicorns flying around? Is one of the guys in the league a leprechaun? Will I be able to go outside and sit under my money tree for a few minutes to think about whether to take Finley at 1.06?I'm having trouble with this argument that you keep making. You seem to be suggesting that people should totally ignore ADP and make ridiculous reaches on a guy who they are overly enthusiastic about or they should stop being so unrealistic and start being more responsible with their projections. Where is there a rule that you have to draft a guy at the spot that would justify where you are projecting them? I personally think that LenDale White is going to have close to 3,000 total yards this year and 28 TDs at a minimum, but there's no way I'm taking him at 1.01 when all of the data tells me that I can wait until much later in my draft. Now I might decide to get him in the 18th round instead of the 24th just in case there's another crazy nut job in my league who believes that this is the year that LenWhale puts it all together but I'd be a fool to not consider ADP and the likelihood of when he could be taken by someone else. I think the Jermichael Finley fanboys are trying to find that point where they can safely wait without fear of another fanboy jumping all over him. It seems to me that 3.03 takes into account both the ridiculous projection AND a careful consideration of ADP.
Say you're in a league with Hjelle9. Or say one of your leaguemates is Jermichael Finley's mom. It's a thought experiment. You say that you wouldn't take LenDale at 1.01 if all data was telling you that you can wait until much later in the draft. I'm saying what if the data *DIDN'T* tell you that? Would you draft LenDale at 1.01? Because if not, it shows a dramatic lack of faith in your own predictions.To all of these people posting crazy Finley projections... if you were in a fantasy football league with Jermichael Finley's mom, what is the earliest you would possibly dream of drafting him?

I don't know about record breaking stuff, but those of you who think you can get the same production from Brent Celek 3 rounds later, are going to be very disappointed.
Not sure if that was directed at me but my point isn't that you'll get the same production from Celek but that Finley won't be a value where he'll have to be taken and Celek will. I have high hopes for Celek this year and IMO he won't be too far behind the TE leaders.Let someone else over-react to that game and grab Finley too early. Hold on a few rounds and get a good value.

What message board were you on that was pimping Finley last offseason? Guy's ADP was TE22. I've never seen any guy with "crazy high expectations" coming off the board as the 22nd guy at ANY position, especially TE.
This one. I remember some totally raving over the guy and saying how he was gonna be studly last year. I don't use this site for rankings or whatever, so him being the TE22 is news to me. He did go earlier than I would have thought in two of the three drafts I was in, and went for 4 or 5 bucks in my auction league (when the 22nd ranked TE would usually go for 1 buck). Just saying...:scared:Anyway, I think the guy IS gonna be great this year, and I hope to land him in one or both of the drafts I still have, but I am just saying, let's not talk about the guy like he is the first coming of the greatest TE ever.
I remember a time a few yrs ago when some qb who fell in the draft until late 1st rd and had to sit behind a legend for a few seasons. He finally had the chance to start and he was called a china doll who was injury prone and no way could he replace the legend. I drafted that guy as my starting qb that yr and everyone in my league laughed at me. That guy was Aaron Rodgers. Who's laughing now? Sometimes your eyes just tell you when someone is going to be stud at their position. You have to think for yourself and not run with the herd. Finley will be the #1 TE this year and it won't be that close barring injury.

I remember a time a few yrs ago when some qb who fell in the draft until late 1st rd and had to sit behind a legend for a few seasons. He finally had the chance to start and he was called a china doll who was injury prone and no way could he replace the legend. I drafted that guy as my starting qb that yr and everyone in my league laughed at me. That guy was Aaron Rodgers. Who's laughing now?
:goodposting: :bow: :bow:

a time a few yrs ago when some qb who fell in the draft until late 1st rd and had to sit behind a legend for a few seasons. He finally had the chance to start and he was called a china doll who was injury prone and no way could he replace the legend. I drafted that guy as my starting qb that yr and everyone in my league laughed at me. That guy was Aaron Rodgers. Who's laughing now?
so, you're the guy that drafted him.

Finley has the wrong team to be the #1 TE. Too many other weapons on the team, thus not enough balls to go around to get into #1 land at a position.

Typically, #1 TE's have been on teams where they were the best options in the passing games. Don't get me wrong, Finley will be a starting TE, but I doubt he will be the #1. Top 5 yes. Same logic why Witten isn't high on my lists either. Too many targets.

Dallas Clark worked well last year, because he was the 2nd target on the team without much but rookie WRs to contend against...

That is not the case in GB...

(As for the draft him in the 1st round if you think he would break all TE records posts, you must not VBD much... as some other posters mentioned, the draft is all about getting as much "value" out of a pick as possible. Albeit, the first couple rounds have practically zero value, you just hope to not screw them up.)

last season Vernon Davis had 965 yds and 13 TDs-

why can't Finley score two more times ? he's a TE playing WR in one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL & if you believe in strength of schedule then the GB TE has great match ups this season-
Last season Vernon Davis tied the NFL record for TDs by a TE. The reason that Jermichael Finley can't score two more times is because IT'S AN NFL RECORD and those don't get broken very frequently. He's a 3rd year guy with 750 career receiving yards and people are projecting him to break every TE record on the books. It's absurdly ludicrously ridiculous. It's the TE equivalent of projecting Michael Crabtree for 150 receptions, 1900 yards, and 25 TDs.And people aren't just saying Finley will break the records, they're saying he'll easily break the records. He'll just cruise right on past them like it ain't no thang. You know, because there have never been any TEs in the history of the NFL as talented as Jermichael Finley (*coughcoughKELLENWINSLOWcough*). Because no TE has ever been the focal point of his team's passing game (*coughTONYGONZALEZcoughcough*). Because no TE has lined up the majority of his snaps at WR or played for a great QB (*coughDALLASCLARKcoughcoughcough*).
If Finley was a WR, and not a TE, would you have trouble with those projections? That is, are you just hung up on the classification?

This looks like a very, very high-powered offense. So, if he ends up with the majority of the looks on a 4,500/35 TD year for Rodgers - what does that look like?

If Finley was a WR, and not a TE, would you have trouble with those projections? That is, are you just hung up on the classification? This looks like a very, very high-powered offense. So, if he ends up with the majority of the looks on a 4,500/35 TD year for Rodgers - what does that look like?
If Finley was a WR instead of a TE, I'd still have a problem with a projection of 1200/15. That's predicting a 3rd year guy with 750 career yards in an offense with a lot of mouths to feed to match Andre Johnson's production from last season. If Finley were a WR instead of a TE, how many people would draft him over Andre Johnson? Because a lot of people are predicting he'll outscore Andre Johnson straight up. I have a problem with that prediction.

I remember a time a few yrs ago when some qb who fell in the draft until late 1st rd and had to sit behind a legend for a few seasons. He finally had the chance to start and he was called a china doll who was injury prone and no way could he replace the legend. I drafted that guy as my starting qb that yr and everyone in my league laughed at me. That guy was Aaron Rodgers. Who's laughing now?
:thumbup: :X :bow:
Not that it has anything to do with this extraordinary fight, but I suddenly wonder - are people who gambled and won on Rodgers gunning for Kolb this year? Avoiding him because they don't expect that kind of hit again? Not even thinking about it because I'm just weird?

If Finley was a WR, and not a TE, would you have trouble with those projections? That is, are you just hung up on the classification? This looks like a very, very high-powered offense. So, if he ends up with the majority of the looks on a 4,500/35 TD year for Rodgers - what does that look like?
If Finley was a WR instead of a TE, I'd still have a problem with a projection of 1200/15. That's predicting a 3rd year guy with 750 career yards in an offense with a lot of mouths to feed to match Andre Johnson's production from last season. If Finley were a WR instead of a TE, how many people would draft him over Andre Johnson? Because a lot of people are predicting he'll outscore Andre Johnson straight up. I have a problem with that prediction.
I dont think alot of people are projecting him to score 15 td's, or outscore Andre Johnson. Most people have him pegged for 1000 yards and 10-12 TD's.Im not sure what him being a 3rd year guy with only 750 yards has anything to do with it. The guy is obviously talented, is on a team with a QB who could throw for 4500+ yards and 35+ TD's, and he might very well be the #1 option in the passing game.I think the people projecting him for 15 TD's are being overly optomistic, but if i ever had to bet on a TE to score 15 TD's in a season it would be Finley this year.I personally have him scoring the exact same amount of FF points as Fitzgerald this year in non-PPR leagues. Making him a great pick with my 3.10 or 4.3 pick tomorrow in my first redraft of the year.:fingerscrossed:

I dont think alot of people are projecting him to score 15 td's, or outscore Andre Johnson. Most people have him pegged for 1000 yards and 10-12 TD's.

Im not sure what him being a 3rd year guy with only 750 yards has anything to do with it. The guy is obviously talented, is on a team with a QB who could throw for 4500+ yards and 35+ TD's, and he might very well be the #1 option in the passing game.

I think the people projecting him for 15 TD's are being overly optomistic, but if i ever had to bet on a TE to score 15 TD's in a season it would be Finley this year.

I personally have him scoring the exact same amount of FF points as Fitzgerald this year in non-PPR leagues. Making him a great pick with my 3.10 or 4.3 pick tomorrow in my first redraft of the year.:fingerscrossed:
Most people might have him pegged for 1,000/10. Personally, I think that's a high projection, but I don't really have any major problems with it. I've gone on record projecting him for upwards of 900/8. I am addressing the people who specifically have said he could EASILY put up 1200/15, or the people who have said they can't wait to bump my prediction that Finley won't break every major TE record, or the people who call 1000/10 his floor, Or the people who call 90/1000 a conservative projection, or most of all the guy projecting Finley for 105/1375/15 (which represents a new TE record for catches, yards, *AND* TDs- the triple crown, all in one season).There are plenty of rational and realistic owners who are very excited about Finley but still realistic in their expectations. I'm not addressing those guys. Hell, I'm one of those guys. I'm mostly aiming my comments at the fringe, the guys who are not tempering their enthusiasm in the teensiest tiniest bit with a cold dose of history or context. Jermichael Finley, more than any other player in the league this year, seems to have a cult following of owners with expectations that are, in my opinion, way beyond the borders of reasonability. I don't see any other player in the entire NFL that has anyone actually predicting that he's going to obliterate NFL records this year. Nobody is projecting any QBs for 55 scores, nobody is projecting any RBs for 2400 rushing yards, nobody is projecting any receivers for 150 receptions... but a lot of people are projecting that Finley will break a ton of long-standing TE records where recent luminaries like Gonzalez, Gates, Clark, Witten, and Sharpe have failed.

``I've been saying to stop us you have to have a solid pass rush and have somebody who can match up on 88, because if not it's going to be a long night,'' Rodgers said.

Hjelle9 said:
``I've been saying to stop us you have to have a solid pass rush and have somebody who can match up on 88, because if not it's going to be a long night,'' Rodgers said.
If AR12 plays fantasy football, he might be drafting himself in the first round and Finley in the second round.

Chicago Hooligan said:
Raider Nation said:
Steelfan7 said:
:goodposting: :bow: :bow:
Not that it has anything to do with this extraordinary fight, but I suddenly wonder - are people who gambled and won on Rodgers gunning for Kolb this year? Avoiding him because they don't expect that kind of hit again? Not even thinking about it because I'm just weird?
I avoided Kolb because of the poor interior line play of the Eagles and the special packages Vick will be in on.

WisWolvrns said:
Dallas Clark worked well last year, because he was the 2nd target on the team without much but rookie WRs to contend against... That is not the case in GB...
You think Jermichael Finley is going to have more trouble taking targets away from Jennings/Driver/Jones/Nelson than Clark is from Wayne/Garcon/Gonzalez/Collie and whatever Big 10 backup tight end(s) Polian currently has on the roster?

yes.

barring any injuries to either set of players you mentioned on the two teams, it will be interesting to see how both do pan out come season's end. with the WR experience in Indy now, I doubt Clark will replicate last season's numbers, but I feel he has a better system in place to score more than Finley by season's end.

Update on Finley? Are you Finley Kool-Aid drinkers still think he's in line for 1,000 yards and 10 TD's? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread