What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (2 Viewers)

US V Mexico it would seem.Adu get a shot at super-sub in that game or does Bradley keep him off the bench? I know he is too slow, short, small, lazy and fat...
Seems like it would be tough not to bring him in as a sub at some point. Bradley has played poorly and Adu definitely injected some needed energy and creativity.

Last edited by a moderator:
US V Mexico it would seem.Adu get a shot at super-sub in that game or does Bradley keep him off the bench? I know he is too slow, short, small, lazy and fat...
He has made the 18 for the last two games. After contributing today I would be surprised if he was not on the 18 against Mexico.

US is certainly going to be a pretty big dog on Saturday. Hopefully they can play well and make a game of it.

Seems like it would be tough not to bring him in as a sub at some point. Bradley has played poorly and Adu definitely injected some needed energy and creativity.
Not sure why you feel Bradley hasn't played well. He def had a poorer game against Jamaica but was his usual solid self tonight. But more importantly, Adu does not play the same position so I'm not sure what one has to do with the other. Adu subbed in for Aguedelo but moved into the right wing in our 4-2-3-1 as Dempsey slid up top. He will never ever ever play the bottom of the midfield in this formation (that depth chart is probably Bradley, Jones, Edu, then Spector). However, this formation, unlike our 4-4-2, has a spot that he can play so I'd be surprised if he isn't on the bench. However, if LD can't go 90, it would not at all surprise me to see Freddy start over Sasha who was not great tonight. Our options with the attacking mids are severely limited right now without Holden and Benny and with LD...with whatever his issue is.

Not sure why you feel Bradley hasn't played well. He def had a poorer game against Jamaica but was his usual solid self tonight. But more importantly, Adu does not play the same position so I'm not sure what one has to do with the other. Adu subbed in for Aguedelo but moved into the right wing in our 4-2-3-1 as Dempsey slid up top. He will never ever ever play the bottom of the midfield in this formation (that depth chart is probably Bradley, Jones, Edu, then Spector). However, this formation, unlike our 4-4-2, has a spot that he can play so I'd be surprised if he isn't on the bench. However, if LD can't go 90, it would not at all surprise me to see Freddy start over Sasha who was not great tonight. Our options with the attacking mids are severely limited right now without Holden and Benny and with LD...with whatever his issue is.
:goodposting: And besides, I want to see Bradley get more minutes with Jones.Wait a sec... did you just say Adu starting over Sascha? I'd have to figure LD would go in there first, unless that mystery issue really is an ailment of some kind.

Watching DeNigris dominate these corners makes me hope Goodson is paying attention
the type of player Gooch could easily mark if he were in form.
I feel like Gooch's days are numbered. He did not even make the 18 today. Perhaps he will against Mexico in the distant hope he can come to to help protect a lead.
thus the "in form" part of the post.he's looked terrible recently for the US- leaden. Not what you want going against Mexico, even if they throw that Denigris guy in there earlier.

I see. I admit I'm not intimately familiar with the US formations, but it appeared they were playing with two holding midfielders (Jones and Bradley). Seems odd to play that way against what would be lesser opponents, but maybe that's just the way it is.Either way, I thought Bradley was poor. Often dawdling on the ball too long, causing turnovers or forcing him to play a backwards a lot.

'The Z Machine said:
'El Floppo said:
That's all she wrote for me.When's the final?It's in LA, right? ugh.
Rose Bowl.Look for the giant California flag with the bear kicking a soccer ball.
A bunch of friends bought supporter seats and are renting a bus. Getting there 3hrs early. I'll be working and either catching glimpses or taping and waiting till after work :wall:

'El Floppo said:
'NewlyRetired said:
'LHUCKS said:
'NewlyRetired said:
Watching DeNigris dominate these corners makes me hope Goodson is paying attention
the type of player Gooch could easily mark if he were in form.
I feel like Gooch's days are numbered. He did not even make the 18 today. Perhaps he will against Mexico in the distant hope he can come to to help protect a lead.
thus the "in form" part of the post.
yes I saw that. My point, poorly made obviously, is that I don't ever expect to see an in form Ggoch again. Hope I am wrong but he has not played well since the injury at club or country.

I thought Panama was the better team. It seemed that they always had more players around the ball on offense and defense. The seemed to have more energy, winning a lot of 50-50 balls, and pressuring the US into mistakes with the ball. I saw a lot of standing around by the US waiting for someone else to do something. It looked like every time a US player got the ball he just wanted to get rid of it. Nobody was following passes, or making creative runs, or even supporting runs. Very fortunate to get a positive result from that game.

I hope the US plays better against Mexico.

So how much support will the USMNT have in the stands on Sat? Is 50-50 wishful thinking?
80-20 is my guess and that may be pushing it. Think about where the game is.
Having gone to the 09 GC Final at the Meadowlands- not exactly close to Mexico- where the crowd was maybe even a higher ratio than that... I was figuring on 90-10 at best at the RoseBowl. Sam's Army and then pockets of family sized US supporters intermingled in a giant sea of drunk, bitter (but loving being better than the US at something and tearing into anybody US within earshot) Mexico fans.It continues to suck that the US has to play away games at home. (but considering the GC is always in the US, I guess it's only fair).

I thought Panama was the better team. It seemed that they always had more players around the ball on offense and defense. The seemed to have more energy, winning a lot of 50-50 balls, and pressuring the US into mistakes with the ball. I saw a lot of standing around by the US waiting for someone else to do something. It looked like every time a US player got the ball he just wanted to get rid of it. Nobody was following passes, or making creative runs, or even supporting runs. Very fortunate to get a positive result from that game. I hope the US plays better against Mexico.
ugh. sounds the opposite of the Jamaica game.so what caused the change? US playing poorly, or Panama doing their job to make the US play poorly?

I thought Panama was the better team. It seemed that they always had more players around the ball on offense and defense. The seemed to have more energy, winning a lot of 50-50 balls, and pressuring the US into mistakes with the ball. I saw a lot of standing around by the US waiting for someone else to do something. It looked like every time a US player got the ball he just wanted to get rid of it. Nobody was following passes, or making creative runs, or even supporting runs. Very fortunate to get a positive result from that game. I hope the US plays better against Mexico.
ugh. sounds the opposite of the Jamaica game.so what caused the change? US playing poorly, or Panama doing their job to make the US play poorly?
The US just had zero creativity. Really only two plays stand out over the 90. Bedoya-Cher-Juan-ground-post, and the goal. That is far too little for 90 minutes. It did not feel that Panama pressured the US much although they bunkered much less than first game they played. It was just more of the US playing square and back, being patient and not getting anywhere. Agudelo was the only one who tried to actively take on players.

The US just had zero creativity. Really only two plays stand out over the 90. Bedoya-Cher-Juan-ground-post, and the goal. That is far too little for 90 minutes. It did not feel that Panama pressured the US much although they bunkered much less than first game they played. It was just more of the US playing square and back, being patient and not getting anywhere. Agudelo was the only one who tried to actively take on players.
But what about the spacing of Bradley/Jones/Sascha? That triangle was creating all kinds of problems for Jamaica, and allowed Dempsey to get into some dangerous free flowing moves too.

But what about the spacing of Bradley/Jones/Sascha? That triangle was creating all kinds of problems for Jamaica, and allowed Dempsey to get into some dangerous free flowing moves too.
personally I thought Sacha had a horrible game. he did very little positively. the few times he got near the the ball, he was too easily dispossessed. He was in the middle of the 3 above Jones and Bradley and almost never formed any triangles with them. Dempsey was interviewed after the game and referred to the team struggling to find "pockets" of space in the Panama defense.I am pretty impressed with Panama. Depending on their draw in the 3rd round, I would not be shocked to see them make the Hex and give numerous teams issues in the hex. Maybe not enough to qualify, but enough to be a spoiler.

'The Z Machine said:
'El Floppo said:
That's all she wrote for me.When's the final?It's in LA, right? ugh.
Rose Bowl.Look for the giant California flag with the bear kicking a soccer ball.
Pick me up on the side of 99 on the way?
I am driving down (the 5), although I think all tickets are accounted for right now. My brother bought a block of 10 for like $75 each and now they're going for $275+ on Stubhub.

Anyone know anything about the USL? I JUST found out yesterday that apparently, there's a soccer team in Orlando, although you'd never know it. I've never seen one ad, one billboard, not even a flyer in the mail about it until yesterday. Apparently, though, they have home games coming up against Seville FC of Puerto Rico, and Bolton & Newcastle. Wondering if it's worth the trek to attend one of these.
Looks like the Orlando team will be playing Charelston in the next round of the US Open Cup.Just learned yesterday that Charleston will be hosting Portsmouth FC next month.
Forgot to say..."Oooooooooooh yeah !!!!"Love crowing over a team I didn't know existed until about a week or two ago. :lol:

My take on USA and Panama is that Panama was very odd to me in their offensive attack. For the first 30 or so minutes, they tried almost every time to push right up the middle. However, if Jones and Bradley are in place in front of them, it was like running into a wall. Yet they kept doing it. Near the end of the 1st half and for the first 20 or so minutes in the 2nd half, they seemed to figure it out. Only attack through the middle if it is a quick counterattack when Jones and Bradley pushed up. Otherwise, destroy the full backs on the wings especially Quintero (i believe) on Lichaj. The wing attacks created much better opportunities. One of the weakness of this team is the back line in space. However, after the USA scored, they reverted back to pounding the middle.

Defensively, Jones and Bradley were the stars IMO. Adu did make some mistakes but probably not any more than everyone else early. His creation was the huge difference getting everyone involved and moving.

And why does it always seem that Mexico has a high usage forward that add so very little to the attack? Barrera had that one rocket shot but otherwise it was a ton of turnovers. The class of Chicarito showed in creating two of the best chances for Mexico in regulation with slight touches and runs.

Edited to add: I loved the little kid they showed at some point who had face paint that was half American Flag/half Mexican Flag.

Ashley Young to Manchester Utd for 17M pounds

Second English signing this summer. Curious move with the number of wingers they have already - Nani, Valencia, Park, Giggs. Dont know if Park will be back so maybe thats the rationale. Also, the price, while artificially high because hes English, is not as outrageous as I wouldve thought. Wright Phillips cost 20M+ plus and was not as accomplished as Young IMO.

Ted, I don't know if you were a part of this or not, but this is a nice display of support from rival supporters. Every Rev fan who hates the Kraft's sends their thanks to the Sons of Ben. http://www.brotherlygame.com/2011/6/23/2238691/sons-of-ben-solidarity-midnight-riders-ne-rebellion-philadelphia-union
I don't sit in the River End but I thought this was a cool show of support. And the silence was kind of eerie. My understanding is that the Revs' SGs are either going silent or doing a walkout during the Philly game in a few weeks. Good for them. They've been crapped on by the Krafts long enough.

Ashley Young to Manchester Utd for 17M pounds

Second English signing this summer. Curious move with the number of wingers they have already - Nani, Valencia, Park, Giggs. Dont know if Park will be back so maybe thats the rationale. Also, the price, while artificially high because hes English, is not as outrageous as I wouldve thought. Wright Phillips cost 20M+ plus and was not as accomplished as Young IMO.
They got a good deal because he only had one year left on his contract.It would seem to counter-balance the ridiculous amount of money they spent on Jones.

Ted, I don't know if you were a part of this or not, but this is a nice display of support from rival supporters. Every Rev fan who hates the Kraft's sends their thanks to the Sons of Ben. http://www.brotherlygame.com/2011/6/23/2238691/sons-of-ben-solidarity-midnight-riders-ne-rebellion-philadelphia-union
I don't sit in the River End but I thought this was a cool show of support. And the silence was kind of eerie. My understanding is that the Revs' SGs are either going silent or doing a walkout during the Philly game in a few weeks. Good for them. They've been crapped on by the Krafts long enough.
Goes all the way back to 1995. They literally tried everything they could to not have any supporters group be organized in any way including having fans arrested who were passing out fanzines in the early days.

Beasley Leaves Bundesliga For MexicoUS National Team midfielder DaMarcus Beasley has completed a move to Mexican Primera Division club Puebla. Beasley trained with the club in recent weeks. He joins the club from Hannover 96, where he had four appearances last season.

:rolleyes:http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2011/06/23/2544835/lionel-messi-needs-to-score-1283-goals-to-be-better-than-me
I think this is more standard Pele vs Maradonna than anything to do with Messi. Maradona disses Neymar (and by proxy, Santos and so Brazil) so Pele disses Messi.Messi is unbelievable. But he's not even close to Pele or Maradonna yet until he wins more for country IMO... but he's definitely getting closer.

:rolleyes:http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2011/06/23/2544835/lionel-messi-needs-to-score-1283-goals-to-be-better-than-me
I think this is more standard Pele vs Maradonna than anything to do with Messi. Maradona disses Neymar (and by proxy, Santos and so Brazil) so Pele disses Messi.Messi is unbelievable. But he's not even close to Pele or Maradonna yet until he wins more for country IMO... but he's definitely getting closer.
Completely agreed. It was really the premise that he needs to score x amount of goals to be better, as if all goals were created equal. Messi hasn't yet won much globally, but Pele also never played in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread