What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Small/Mid-Sized SUV's (1 Viewer)

Ok, time to bump this thread (maybe).

We have had the purchase of a mid sized SUV or crossover on our minds since the birth of our daughter. In general, we were thinking maybe a year or two down the road. However, my wifes Pontiac Grand Prix may need some major work on it and instead of throwing money into that crap car that I hate... we will buy the SUV.

So, looking for feedback and thoughts.

Her criteria is that it must be big enough in the back to fit a stroller and an 85 pound Goldendoodle. It has to be rated high for safety. It can not be too big of a SUV as she does not like driving my F-150 because it is 'too big'.

I would like to get more MPG out of it but that is secondary. Other than that, bang for the buck, reliability and something we would like for a good 5-8 years.

The Explorer is high on our 'pre' list (basically just ones we have noticed one way or the other like seeing on the road or a friend has it) as is the Honda Pilot, Ford Edge, Mazda CX-9, and Nissan Armada. I want to take a look at the Hyundai Veracruz but really have not seen them on the road or know of anyone but I have been very high on Hyundai in general recently.
We've had a Veracruz since 2009 and love it. Wife drives it and 39,000 miles w/ no problems. We have the limited with DVD in the back and it is great for trips with the kids. I drove an Acura MDX for 6 years and it was almost as nice as that for about 15k less.

Ok, time to bump this thread (maybe).

We have had the purchase of a mid sized SUV or crossover on our minds since the birth of our daughter. In general, we were thinking maybe a year or two down the road. However, my wifes Pontiac Grand Prix may need some major work on it and instead of throwing money into that crap car that I hate... we will buy the SUV.

So, looking for feedback and thoughts.

Her criteria is that it must be big enough in the back to fit a stroller and an 85 pound Goldendoodle. It has to be rated high for safety. It can not be too big of a SUV as she does not like driving my F-150 because it is 'too big'.

I would like to get more MPG out of it but that is secondary. Other than that, bang for the buck, reliability and something we would like for a good 5-8 years.

The Explorer is high on our 'pre' list (basically just ones we have noticed one way or the other like seeing on the road or a friend has it) as is the Honda Pilot, Ford Edge, Mazda CX-9, and Nissan Armada. I want to take a look at the Hyundai Veracruz but really have not seen them on the road or know of anyone but I have been very high on Hyundai in general recently.
We've had a Veracruz since 2009 and love it. Wife drives it and 39,000 miles w/ no problems. We have the limited with DVD in the back and it is great for trips with the kids. I drove an Acura MDX for 6 years and it was almost as nice as that for about 15k less.
:goodposting: Thanks for the info.

'Al Czervik said:
'Da Guru said:
'Chadstroma said:
Check out the Chevy Equinox. Was all new in 2009 and is getting great reviews (and 32 MPG HWY).
:thumbup: My sister got one and loves it. Great MPG too.
What is the GMC equivalent to the Equinox?
Terrain or Acadia, pretty sure both cost more. Maybe Al can fill us in on that one.
Terrain.
Terrain GMCTraverse ChevyArcadia BuickEquinox is a bit smaller than all of these. The wife bought one in 2009 and loves it more everyday.

4runner. Roomy enough for your stuff, not as big as an F150, decent MPG, reliable as they come.
4Runners are pretty pricey aren't they? I have not really put a lot of thought into them as my perception is that you are not getting a lot of bang for buck. Am I wrong?
:shrug: The OP's price range was $15k-$20k...I bought an '06 4runner with 54k miles 2 months ago for $17k. 55k miles on a 4runner isn't even really broken in yet.But yeah they're more than some others in the same class, but if you're looking to spend in that range, they're hard to beat and you should at least give them a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Chadstroma said:
'kaso said:
I've done a lot of research in this market and decided to go with a Ford Flex. Not in the same class as the small SUV, but it's exactly what we are looking for. Now that we've narrowed our search down to what we want, just need to find one and make the plunge!
I wanted to look at the Flex but my wife does not like how it looks. So, not an option. The Edge is very interesting to me.
My wife was exactly the same. Until she sat in one. We drove the Edge, Terrain, Escape, Rav4, Sante Fe... Interior space wise, the Flex won out.

'Al Czervik said:
'Da Guru said:
'Chadstroma said:
Check out the Chevy Equinox. Was all new in 2009 and is getting great reviews (and 32 MPG HWY).
Terrain or Acadia, pretty sure both cost more. Maybe Al can fill us in on that one.
Terrain.
Terrain GMCTraverse ChevyArcadia BuickEquinox is a bit smaller than all of these. The wife bought one in 2009 and loves it more everyday.
Terrian and Equinox are in the same class. Acadia is a GMC, and in the same class as the Travese.

'Samuel L Bronkowitz said:
I have a Dodge Journey and I love it...
I'm traveling on business right now and am driving a brand new Journey (6 miles on it) and I really like it so far. I will be in the market for something similar in the net 6 months to a year so I started reading about them this afternoon. How long have you had it? I've read a lot of reviews that quite often it won't start. I've also read that the gas mileage isn't as advertised (19/25) and tires need to be replaced at 15-20,000. Have you had any issues at all?
I've had it since Jan 1. It's a 2011 SXT model. I added leather seats and remote start after market ($1K) and I highly recommend at least the leather... the included fabric upholstery is pretty cheap/cheesy. I have had absolutely zero problems with it. I drive primarily highway and get about 22-23 MPG. Currently have 12K miles on it and just did the penny measurement on the tires... Lincoln is still missing the top of his head.My only real complaint so far is that the sight lines out of the sides/back of the vehicle are poor. I feel like I have multiple "blind spots" when checking for a lane change or when backing up.Four stars.

'Samuel L Bronkowitz said:
I have a Dodge Journey and I love it...
I'm traveling on business right now and am driving a brand new Journey (6 miles on it) and I really like it so far. I will be in the market for something similar in the net 6 months to a year so I started reading about them this afternoon. How long have you had it? I've read a lot of reviews that quite often it won't start. I've also read that the gas mileage isn't as advertised (19/25) and tires need to be replaced at 15-20,000. Have you had any issues at all?
I've had it since Jan 1. It's a 2011 SXT model. I added leather seats and remote start after market ($1K) and I highly recommend at least the leather... the included fabric upholstery is pretty cheap/cheesy. I have had absolutely zero problems with it. I drive primarily highway and get about 22-23 MPG. Currently have 12K miles on it and just did the penny measurement on the tires... Lincoln is still missing the top of his head.My only real complaint so far is that the sight lines out of the sides/back of the vehicle are poor. I feel like I have multiple "blind spots" when checking for a lane change or when backing up.Four stars.
Cool, thanks.I noticed the back seat headrests in the rear view mirror as well. Was difficult to look behind me.

I've done a lot of research in this market and decided to go with a Ford Flex. Not in the same class as the small SUV, but it's exactly what we are looking for. Now that we've narrowed our search down to what we want, just need to find one and make the plunge!
I wanted to look at the Flex but my wife does not like how it looks. So, not an option. The Edge is very interesting to me.
My wife was exactly the same. Until she sat in one. We drove the Edge, Terrain, Escape, Rav4, Sante Fe... Interior space wise, the Flex won out.
When we go to the Ford dealership to look at/test drive the Explorer and Edge I will see if I can get her to look at the Flex... I am sure she will look at it, not say anything and go back to the other cars. :shrug: We shall see.

Terrain.
Terrian and Equinox are in the same class. Acadia is a GMC, and in the same class as the Travese.
Any other thoughts on the Equinox? I am looking at jettisoning my 2001 Ford Escape and getting a new 2012 Equinox possibly. Seems like a good little SUV. I am considering just going new, as well, since it seems that if I am only going to save $2000 by getting a 1-2 year used that has 15-20k+ miles on it, it is a no-brainer to go new, right?

Audi I have heard and seen reports of reliability issues.... No first hand experience though.

I have a CRV which I dread driving to work everyday, but just because I have driven a Jeep for the last 15 years and miss taking the top and doors off. Awesome mid size SUV and decent mileage. The wifey has an 11 4runner. We have not broken 17.9 mpg in 2 years and that includes several 100 mile interstate trips on cruise control.

I would say of the two the 4runner is a lot more comfortable for me and my wife. The bluetooth sold it for her, and I do not have to worry about her digging in her purse while driving.

Under 20K I would check out the following:

CRV

4Runner although prior to 2010 I believe they required premium fuel??

Highlander

Pilot

Ohhhh one mention for the Buick Enclave. Thats a sexy SUV.
No doubt, but it is a bit higher than I want to pay. I literally drive my car from home to work to home with some up into the foothills for shooting/camping/etc.

We have a 2009 Veracruz with about 50K miles. It has been great.

We bought AWD fully loaded for around $32K I believe.

Terrain.
Any other thoughts on the Equinox? I am looking at jettisoning my 2001 Ford Escape and getting a new 2012 Equinox possibly. Seems like a good little SUV. I am considering just going new, as well, since it seems that if I am only going to save $2000 by getting a 1-2 year used that has 15-20k+ miles on it, it is a no-brainer to go new, right?
I can't speak to the deal you're looking at, but we picked up a new 2012 Equinox at the end of December.So far I really like it. Do you have any specific questions?

Terrain.
I can't speak to the deal you're looking at, but we picked up a new 2012 Equinox at the end of December.So far I really like it. Do you have any specific questions?
What do you like and not like about it?

We just rented a Hyundai Santa Fe on our trip for a week. It was new, just 800 miles, and I drove it just about as much to double that. We liked it. Maybe a little smaller than ideal for us but overall a good vehicle. It will definitely get a good strong look when we are ready to buy our new SUV.

What do you like and not like about it?
I don't really have any complaints. If I had to nitpick, the blind spots are the suck, but the corners of the side mirrors are convex and that really helps with vision. Also the cruise control seems to be +/- 2 mph which causes a noticeable speed up/slow down,I'd like a bit more trunk space but it will suffice for our needs right now. If you plan on towing I'd opt for the 6 cylinder. Otherwise the 4 has enough power/acceleration for everyday driving (cheaper and better gas mileage too, obviously).I really like everything else about it. It's my first SUV and I had been driving the same Saturn for 10 years so the technology advancements (i.e. backup camera, satellite radio etc) are a bonus for me.

Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one.

Wife and I are looking at mid-size SUVs. Sold our 2006 Pilot for a great price as it's still a "high-demand" car, as we don't need quite that much space anymore. I think we've narrowed our choices down to the Subaru Forester or the Kia Sportage. Wondering if anyone out there has experience with either, and could comment?

I'm posting links to CarMax vehicles that I've found within our transfer area, but these are just so people who aren't familiar with what the 1 to 2 year old models we are considering currently look like. There are certainly better prices out there on Craigslist, Autotrader, CarsDirect, etc.....

Subaru Forester

Kia Sportage

TIA,

Lee

I have been 'looking' for quite some time knowing that we would be buying one. So, I have done a lot of research and I have pretty much zeroed in on the Buick Enclave/GMC Acadia. Having a family safety is the highest priority to me with reliability second and gas mileage third with things like how it looks or how it drives being minor considerations. The Enclave/Acadia/Traverse share the same platform and all come out very high on safety as one of the best for SUV's. Consumer reports has them as being recommended on reliability (though they are on the lower end of that list) and gas is pretty decent compared to others that are safe as well. Likely will buy one (not sure if used or new) within the next 6 months or so. The only other one that I am really considering at this point is the Explorer. The other SUV's that meet the safety standard are typically much more expensive and/or really bad gas hogs.

'stubby said:
Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one.Wife and I are looking at mid-size SUVs. Sold our 2006 Pilot for a great price as it's still a "high-demand" car, as we don't need quite that much space anymore. I think we've narrowed our choices down to the Subaru Forester or the Kia Sportage. Wondering if anyone out there has experience with either, and could comment?I'm posting links to CarMax vehicles that I've found within our transfer area, but these are just so people who aren't familiar with what the 1 to 2 year old models we are considering currently look like. There are certainly better prices out there on Craigslist, Autotrader, CarsDirect, etc.....Subaru Forester Kia Sportage TIA,Lee
If you are looking at the forester, do yourself a favor and at least test drive the outback. Better gas mileage with the cvt transmission and bigger vehicle. I average 29-30mpg in mine.

'Chadstroma said:
I have been 'looking' for quite some time knowing that we would be buying one. So, I have done a lot of research and I have pretty much zeroed in on the Buick Enclave/GMC Acadia. Having a family safety is the highest priority to me with reliability second and gas mileage third with things like how it looks or how it drives being minor considerations. The Enclave/Acadia/Traverse share the same platform and all come out very high on safety as one of the best for SUV's. Consumer reports has them as being recommended on reliability (though they are on the lower end of that list) and gas is pretty decent compared to others that are safe as well. Likely will buy one (not sure if used or new) within the next 6 months or so. The only other one that I am really considering at this point is the Explorer. The other SUV's that meet the safety standard are typically much more expensive and/or really bad gas hogs.
I appreciate your input. The Enclave/Acadia are nice vehicles, but are at a little higher price point than we're looking to spend.

'stubby said:
Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one.Wife and I are looking at mid-size SUVs. Sold our 2006 Pilot for a great price as it's still a "high-demand" car, as we don't need quite that much space anymore. I think we've narrowed our choices down to the Subaru Forester or the Kia Sportage. Wondering if anyone out there has experience with either, and could comment?I'm posting links to CarMax vehicles that I've found within our transfer area, but these are just so people who aren't familiar with what the 1 to 2 year old models we are considering currently look like. There are certainly better prices out there on Craigslist, Autotrader, CarsDirect, etc.....Subaru Forester Kia Sportage TIA,Lee
If you are looking at the forester, do yourself a favor and at least test drive the outback. Better gas mileage with the cvt transmission and bigger vehicle. I average 29-30mpg in mine.
CVT pushes the price to about $3K more than the Forester, plus it's more of a "wagon" look, and we both like the crossover/SUV a bit better. We have heard/read good things about the Outback, too...so it's in the back of our minds. Thanks for throwing that out there though...nice to know about the gas mileage.

'stubby said:
CVT pushes the price to about $3K more than the Forester, plus it's more of a "wagon" look, and we both like the crossover/SUV a bit better. We have heard/read good things about the Outback, too...so it's in the back of our minds. Thanks for throwing that out there though...nice to know about the gas mileage.
I have a 2010 Forester and it's the best car Ive owned. Great in the snow (may not apply to you though), pretty decent on gas. The Outback's mpg is better but I get around 26 mpg most of the time, which isnt horrible.My only issue with it is that we have 2 young kids and car seats so we can only fit 2 adults up front and the kids take up the back seat, would be nice to have room for 1 more. You said you wanted to downsize so it's probably a great fit.

'stubby said:
I have a 2010 Forester and it's the best car Ive owned. Great in the snow (may not apply to you though), pretty decent on gas. The Outback's mpg is better but I get around 26 mpg most of the time, which isnt horrible.My only issue with it is that we have 2 young kids and car seats so we can only fit 2 adults up front and the kids take up the back seat, would be nice to have room for 1 more. You said you wanted to downsize so it's probably a great fit.
:thumbup: Thanks

'stubby said:
Subaru all day. Got 200k miles on my WRX with no problems just a dream car, and wife got 100k on her forester, again no problems. plenty of room for 2 kids and a bulldog. kid #3 made us move to a Sienna, wife still misses her Forester

I was in the car search boat about 8 months ago. I ended up getting a 2011 Jeep Patriot 4X4 back in June. It was around $16500 with 10k miles. I wasn't even really looking at SUVs, but I thought it looked pretty sharp. It has enough room for the four of us(3 and 6 year old). I get around 25-28 mpg. This is the first 4X4 I've ever owned and a few weeks ago the thing was just cruising through the snow.

In this market now. Looking for low $20K. Seems to me that the Honda CRV is really the top choice. Lowest TCO, good safety, most room.

Nissan Rogue is close.

I've been a Hyundai/Kia person for many years because I like the warranty, but considering the above factors, they don't really compete.

Other options?

In this market now. Looking for low $20K. Seems to me that the Honda CRV is really the top choice. Lowest TCO, good safety, most room.

Nissan Rogue is close.

I've been a Hyundai/Kia person for many years because I like the warranty, but considering the above factors, they don't really compete.

Other options?
New Honda about to come out... HRV. Look it up... I personally like it better than the CRV and it should cost a bit less.

Nissan Rogue is close.

Other options?
We picked up our CRV EX on New Years Day. Really liking it so far. My wife was driving it a bunch during all these annoying 2-4 inch type snows we've had and she felt very comfortable the whole time. Have a buddy with the 2014 model and the acceleration is greatly improved.

Nissan Rogue is close.

Other options?
New Honda about to come out... HRV. Look it up... I personally like it better than the CRV and it should cost a bit less.
http://automobiles.honda.com/hrvselfie/

um, ok . . .

Nissan Rogue is close.

Other options?
We picked up our CRV EX on New Years Day. Really liking it so far. My wife was driving it a bunch during all these annoying 2-4 inch type snows we've had and she felt very comfortable the whole time. Have a buddy with the 2014 model and the acceleration is greatly improved.
We have a 2013 CRV EX. Couldn't agree more with everything said above. Great vehicle. Comfortable, reliable, handles well in the snow, and has lots of room.

Nissan Rogue is close.

Other options?

um, ok . . .
OMFG please stop.

We looked at everything in that group and we found that the Ford Egde was hands down the best option. It wasn't even close and we looked around a lot.

We looked at everything in that group and we found that the Ford Egde was hands down the best option. It wasn't even close and we looked around a lot.
Why was it the best option?
Everything from the interior, power, reviews, reliability, you name it. The only negatives are there are a ton of them out there so you see yourself coming and going a lot and the pre-2014 versions tend to use a lot of gas.

The best way I can explain it is the moment we drove it- it crapped all over everything else on it's price range.

I should add we went and always buy used.

Thanks. Edge looks like it has much worse gas mileage than CRV still (looks like all are V6) and actually has less total cargo space than the CRV. And about 4-5K more.

Total Cost of ownership is 30% more than than the CRV.

Nissan Rogue is close.

Other options?
We have a 2013 CRV EX. Couldn't agree more with everything said above. Great vehicle. Comfortable, reliable, handles well in the snow, and has lots of room.
Do not get the CRV love at all. My wife's Accord was in the shop for a week and they gave her a 2013 CRV and we both hated it. Not one thing about it left us thinking, "Hmm, this isn't a bad little car". Felt cheap, drove stiff, severely lacked power.

To each their own I guess?

Have a friend that drives a 2012 Edge that I've been able to drive and if you can get past the fact they are all over the place, I would highly recommend. Quiet, smooth ride and reliable.

general car-buying question: most warranties seem to be 5 year/60K for new cars, but certified pre-owned that I am seeing are 7year/100K.

Is this just an incentive to buy used because people prefer new? If I could get the same car with 20K miles on it and a longer warranty for like $3K less, why would I not do this?

Nissan Rogue is close.

Other options?

um, ok . . .
Lol wut. They really did that?

Nissan Rogue is close.

Other options?
Do not get the CRV love at all. My wife's Accord was in the shop for a week and they gave her a 2013 CRV and we both hated it. Not one thing about it left us thinking, "Hmm, this isn't a bad little car". Felt cheap, drove stiff, severely lacked power. To each their own I guess?

Have a friend that drives a 2012 Edge that I've been able to drive and if you can get past the fact they are all over the place, I would highly recommend. Quiet, smooth ride and reliable.
WELL, YOU'RE WRONG!

:stormsoff:

Users who are viewing this thread