What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Carson Palmer Traded to Oakland (1 Viewer)

I don't think you'll be able to accurately judge the merits of this trade until next year. I think this move will have mixed results for the Raiders for the remainder of this year but sets them up nicely going into 2012...

John Clayton reported this morning that this could not happen because the Raiders didn't have the cap space for Palmer's $11 million cap number. How is this happening?
I was going to post this a bit earlier - heard that on M&M and then this goes through less than an hour later..

This is like when Roy Williams was traded to Dallas. What a haul.
No even close, Palmer has actually accomplished something in this league. Hell, he was even a top 5 QB a one point.
That's like saying Donovan McNabb for 2 1st rounders now would be a good trade. Carson Palmer's days as an elite QB have nothing to do with today, unless you believe he is still a top 5 QB.
People are talking about Palmer like he's 40. He's only 31. I realize he wasn't good in Cincinnati the last two years. But its certainly possible there were reasons for that other than he's just done.
His arm is shot. Shot as in he can't make the throws anymore. I've watched him and he has no zip (or not nearly as much as he used to). But... maybe he's gotten his strength back now that he's a couple of years removed from his injury.
He looked much better after Owens and Ocho were gone. I'm not convinced this was a horrible move by the Raiders. But they damned well better make the playoffs this year, or heads are gonna roll in the Raiders' front office.

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shock: :excited: :pickle: :headbang: :clap: :banned: :hifive: :bow:

Unbelievable!!

Mike Friggin' Brown just fleeced somebody big time - and it wasn't a county government!

Well it looks like perhaps the torch has been passed. A legendary hall of fame coach/owner who was an innovator and definitely did things his own way passes away only to have his son take over the family business and commence an era of incompetence. 'cept now I'm talking about the Oakland Raiders.

There was a actually some conversation the middle of last year about whether the Bengals would just outright cut Palmer to save all those millions of dollars. He then puts them over a barrel and demands a trade basically at a time (ahead of the lockout) when he could not be traded because of the lockout. A million posts, threads, and articles all ensue - all of which conveniently ignore the fact that no transactions were allowed to happen. Mikey, stubborn as hell stands firm and tell Carson to go rot - ingeniously building up his price as people will gladly overpay for that which they cannot have.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but bravo Mikey Boy. Bravo. :bow:

-QG

Did the Raiders also get a jar or marinara sauce in this deal? Cuz Palmer's spaghetti shoulder is going to be pretty bland without it.

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :excited: :pickle: :headbang: :clap: :banned: :hifive: :bow:Unbelievable!!Mike Friggin' Brown just fleeced somebody big time - and it wasn't a county government!Well it looks like perhaps the torch has been passed. A legendary hall of fame coach/owner who was an innovator and definitely did things his own way passes away only to have his son take over the family business and commence an era of incompetence. 'cept now I'm talking about the Oakland Raiders.There was a actually some conversation the middle of last year about whether the Bengals would just outright cut Palmer to save all those millions of dollars. He then puts them over a barrel and demands a trade basically at a time (ahead of the lockout) when he could not be traded because of the lockout. A million posts, threads, and articles all ensue - all of which conveniently ignore the fact that no transactions were allowed to happen. Mikey, stubborn as hell stands firm and tell Carson to go rot - ingeniously building up his price as people will gladly overpay for that which they cannot have.I can't believe I'm saying it, but bravo Mikey Boy. Bravo. :bow: -QG
:hifive:

At worst it's a first and a second. As a Bengals fan, I am ecstatic. Hell hath frozen over and Mike Brown ended up making the right move and making out like a bandit.

This is like when Roy Williams was traded to Dallas. What a haul.
No even close, Palmer has actually accomplished something in this league. Hell, he was even a top 5 QB a one point.
That's like saying Donovan McNabb for 2 1st rounders now would be a good trade. Carson Palmer's days as an elite QB have nothing to do with today, unless you believe he is still a top 5 QB.
People are talking about Palmer like he's 40. He's only 31. I realize he wasn't good in Cincinnati the last two years. But its certainly possible there were reasons for that other than he's just done.
His arm is shot. Shot as in he can't make the throws anymore. I've watched him and he has no zip (or not nearly as much as he used to). But... maybe he's gotten his strength back now that he's a couple of years removed from his injury.
He looked much better after Owens and Ocho were gone. I'm not convinced this was a horrible move by the Raiders. But they damned well better make the playoffs this year, or heads are gonna roll in the Raiders' front office.
:goodposting:

Twitter isn't a reliable source of information.
Depends on who's doing the tweeting. Jay Glazer would seem to be a reliable source.If the Raiders do trade a #1 (AND a conditional draft pick!) for Palmer, it would be a terrible deal for the Silver & Black. Last year Palmer looked washed up.
Glazer is MONEY.And anyone who says Twitter isnt a reliable source of information clearly doesnt know how to use it.

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shock: :excited: :pickle: :headbang: :clap: :banned: :hifive: :bow:

Unbelievable!!

Mike Friggin' Brown just fleeced somebody big time - and it wasn't a county government!

Well it looks like perhaps the torch has been passed. A legendary hall of fame coach/owner who was an innovator and definitely did things his own way passes away only to have his son take over the family business and commence an era of incompetence. 'cept now I'm talking about the Oakland Raiders.

There was a actually some conversation the middle of last year about whether the Bengals would just outright cut Palmer to save all those millions of dollars. He then puts them over a barrel and demands a trade basically at a time (ahead of the lockout) when he could not be traded because of the lockout. A million posts, threads, and articles all ensue - all of which conveniently ignore the fact that no transactions were allowed to happen. Mikey, stubborn as hell stands firm and tell Carson to go rot - ingeniously building up his price as people will gladly overpay for that which they cannot have.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but bravo Mikey Boy. Bravo. :bow:

-QG
I won't even use the derogatory Mikey Boy for this one. Way to go Mike Brown!!!!

I'm no Raiders fan, but I don't think this is that bad. The team is in a position to win their division and needs to build on the success of last season. Boller isn't the guy to get them there and Pryor just isn't ready. The Raiders traditionally draft pretty well in the later rounds and even with a dearth of draft picks, they can still use free agency. They do have some young talent on both sides of the ball, so they've got some room to develop those guys with a Palmer rental in the interim.

Did the Raiders also get a jar or marinara sauce in this deal? Cuz Palmer's spaghetti shoulder is going to be pretty bland without it.
Why don't we wait and see. I'll put up my 'Ochcosuckos suckage at route running' vs your 'Palmer's spaghetti shoulder'.

At worst it's a first and a second. As a Bengals fan, I am ecstatic. Hell hath frozen over and Mike Brown ended up making the right move and making out like a bandit.
can you really say that "mike brown" fleeced someone? what i assume happened was the raiders came to them asking about palmer and said "what are you looking for him" and brown said "a first and a second" and the raiders were like OK HANDSHAKE. LOL SUCKERi doubt brown really did anything

can you really say that "mike brown" fleeced someone? what i assume happened was the raiders came to them asking about palmer and said "what are you looking for him" and brown said "a first and a second" and the raiders were like OK HANDSHAKE. LOL SUCKERi doubt brown really did anything
Even if it's by accident I'll take it lol

I'll give Mike Brown credit. He held his ground. People kept saying that Palmer's value was plummeting and that he should sell Palmer before Palmer's value reached zero. But he knew deep down that Palmer's value would eventually go up again -- especially if the Raiders were somehow involved.

This situation could not have played out better for Mike Brown.

I'll give Mike Brown credit. He held his ground. People kept saying that Palmer's value was plummeting and that he should sell Palmer before Palmer's value reached zero. But he knew deep down that Palmer's value would eventually go up again -- especially if the Raiders were somehow involved.This situation could not have played out better for Mike Brown.
Yup. The funny thing is that if some other team made the same offer I'm not sure Brown would've budged. The presence of Hue Jackson and his past ties to the Bengals probably was just enough to get Brown to move off his absolutely no trade stance.Dare I ask the question - do the Raiders come calling if the Patriots let go of the Ocho? :boxing: -QG

thinking ahead, while everyone in your league scrambles for Palmer and John Beck and with the Bengals picking up possibly 2 good draft picks in next year's draft, wouldnt this be a good time to pick up Andy Dalton in keeper leagues and stash him for next season? Decent backup QB taboot if the matchup is right?

or am I thinking waaaay too far ahead?

Why don't we wait and see. I'll put up my 'Ochcosuckos suckage at route running' vs your 'Palmer's spaghetti shoulder'.
Chad's route running has NOTHING to do with the complete lack of arm strength Palmer has demonstrated since his elbow problems in 2008.Maybe the time off has magically rejuvenated his arm but there is no debate among those who have seen him play that Palmer has not had the same velocity or overall arm strength the last few years.

I believe I read back when Palmer was being talked of as a 49er acquisition that his wife is from the Bay Area. Wonder if he gave Brown a short list including the Raiders for this reason.

thinking ahead, while everyone in your league scrambles for Palmer and John Beck and with the Bengals picking up possibly 2 good draft picks in next year's draft, wouldnt this be a good time to pick up Andy Dalton in keeper leagues and stash him for next season? Decent backup QB taboot if the matchup is right?or am I thinking waaaay too far ahead?
Are there really keeper leagues outside the Braille Institute where Dalton is not already rostered?Not in any of the leagues I have seen

I believe I read back when Palmer was being talked of as a 49er acquisition that his wife is from the Bay Area. Wonder if he gave Brown a short list including the Raiders for this reason.
It is interesting to think about that. Brown and Palmer supposedly had some conversations (that were at least reported to go nowhere). Not crazy to think that was possible.-QG

I'm no Raiders fan, but I don't think this is that bad. The team is in a position to win their division and needs to build on the success of last season. Boller isn't the guy to get them there and Pryor just isn't ready. The Raiders traditionally draft pretty well in the later rounds and even with a dearth of draft picks, they can still use free agency. They do have some young talent on both sides of the ball, so they've got some room to develop those guys with a Palmer rental in the interim.
That's an expensive rental.Absolutely BRUTAL trade for the Silver and Black.

The interesting thing will be to see how the playoffs shake out. The 4-2 Bengals just bailed out their competition (4-2 Oakland) for a wild card slot. :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
thinking ahead, while everyone in your league scrambles for Palmer and John Beck and with the Bengals picking up possibly 2 good draft picks in next year's draft, wouldnt this be a good time to pick up Andy Dalton in keeper leagues and stash him for next season? Decent backup QB taboot if the matchup is right?or am I thinking waaaay too far ahead?
In dynasty leagues Dalton has gained a ton of value after his play -- keeper leagues depends how many keepers, but Dalton looks like the real deal so far.

The interesting thing will be to see how the playoffs shake out. The 4-2 Bengals just bailed out their competition (4-2 Oakland) for a wild card slot. :popcorn:
I favor the Raiders here due to lesser divisional foes. Palmer will have the benefit of McFadden and making short throws and letting his speedy WR's make plays. I think his weapons in Oakland are much better than they've been in Cincy the last couple years.Dalton's been solid, but would be stunned if they made the playoffs.

They do have some young talent on both sides of the ball, so they've got some room to develop those guys with a Palmer rental in the interim.
That's one hella expensive condo though. Potentially a couple firsts? Even if it turns out a 1 and 2? They better win something, and quick.

Love how everybody is crowning Mike Brown for the Palmer trade. Let's give a whole bunch of credit to the stupidity of the Raiders here. :rolleyes:

Chad's route running has NOTHING to do with the complete lack of arm strength Palmer has demonstrated since his elbow problems in 2008.Maybe the time off has magically rejuvenated his arm but there is no debate among those who have seen him play that Palmer has not had the same velocity or overall arm strength the last few years.
Watch
from 2010, and tell me he has lost all his arm strength.

Here's a deeper connection with Jackson than just when he was the Bengals' WR coach.

Hue was also Palmer's position coach for a couple of years at SC under the great Paul Hackett.

link

And the Bengals scored a pair of premium picks for a player that is (a) past his prime and (b) not playing.

This is the most lopsided deal since the Cowboys dealt away Hershal Walker. I simply cannot believe what the Raiders gave up for a very mediocre qb.

Great day to be a Bengals fan...Never thought I would hear myself say that.

Watch
Looks fine to me too. There are some poeple in here that really have no idea what they are talking about in reference to Palmer's arm. They hear one bozo say it (probably because he threw it short and behind ochosucko - due to a wrong route) and immediately jump in with the same statement, with not a shred of proof to back it up.

as a raider fan, one thing that makes me feel good about this trade is that everyone here thinks it's a dumb idea...

:goodposting: I'm not ready to castrate the Raiders here either. They're LOADED with young talent. Those firsts are almost certainly going to be in the bottom 10 of the first. Palmer is better than he's being credit for right now.While I still think it's a bad trade, it's a long way from Ditka's debacle over Ricky Williams, or the haul Dallas got for Walker. This COULD work out for Oakland.

Watch
:thumbup: I agree with everything you have said in this subject so far. When Palmer didn't have an aging Owens and a sucky route runner in Ochocinco at the end of the season last year he played really well. I think people are seriously underestimating Palmer here. A lot of haters. As a Raider fan I love the trade.

Users who are viewing this thread