What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tim Tebow - 8.17.21 Waived By Jacksonville (2 Viewers)

Not a lot of sense in comparing this season to Stafford and Peyton's first years since those guys both started as rookies. If it helps, Peyton had a better completion percentage and yards per attempt as a rookie than Tebow did this season. Stafford had a better completion percentage, but was worse overall. And yes, Sanchez has had a 125+ QB rating in the playoffs. Last year against New England.

The supporting cast looked pretty good to me today. Demaryius Thomas just put up 200+ yards, many of which came after the catch. The game winner was a nice throw by Tebow, but also a great individual play by Thomas to run 80 yards. Few receivers in the league score on that play.

I don't know why I'm wasting my time with this thread. Every time Tebow lays an egg, his fanboys go quiet. Every time he has a decent game, it's the opposite. There seems to be no reasonable middle ground here and no give-and-take. I've never said that he can't become a good starter, but he isn't one right now. The stats support that position. Andy Dalton had a better year than Tebow in almost every meaningful way despite having a year less experience in the league, and yet there's no fanatical hype thread for him.

If you want to look at win-loss, then yes Tebow had a good rookie year. If you want to look a objective metrics of QB performance, he was quite poor. I'm done arguing about it.
Good - because your argument is equally invalid. Collectively, the teams Tebow beat were vastly better than the teams Dalton beat.
Chicago without Cutler and Forte, Minnesota without ADP: neither team beat a playoff team. The term vastly could be considered a bit misleading; just saying.

Until yesterday, of course:)

Personally, I think the Texans have a good chance to go all the way.
:confused: The Bears beat the Falcons and the Lions - both rather handily (30-12 over the Falcons in week 1 and 37-13 over the Lions in week 10).

But hey, don't let facts slow your roll :thumbup:

People need to stop confusing the people supporting Tebow in this thread with the casual "omg Tebow best evah!!!" crowd. Stop getting into an argument with Maniacal Johnny Fratboy who thinks Tebow should be MVP at your house and posting your response in here to people that aren't making that argument.

Tebow hasn't been an all-star this year, but he's played well in spurts and has far exceeded what the pundits thought he would ever do in his entire career, much less one year. The bottom line is that Tebow gets too much credit from the casual crowd and too little credit from the hardcore crowd. The analysts and message board all-stars do nothing but doubt and deflect credit.

Comparing Tebow to guys like Sanchez, Dilfer, and Grossman is disingenious because those guys all played with top 2 defenses. People were drafting those defenses in the 5th-8th round of fantasy drafts and they were even better in real life than they were in fantasy. Denver's D has had some good games but overall they're 24th in the NFL in scoring defense. They've been a little bit better (22nd I believe) since Tebow took over but it's not like he inherited some great team that any horrible QB can win with. Unlike those other guys, we've seen this team with other QBs and they were much closer to finishing with the worst record in the league than they were to winning a playoff game.

New England is constantly regarded as having an awful defense that they win in spite of, yet they've allowed 48 FEWER points than Denver, who has only won because of their defense. On what planet does that make sense?

Denver does have the #1 rushing offense in the NFL but Tebow is a big contributor to that himself. If you take QB rushing yards out of the equation they're 10th. So you've got a team with the #24 defense and #10 rushing attack and that's a team that you can just plug "the worst quarterback since the invention of the facemask" into? I don't think so, nor do I think this Denver team is in any way comparable to a Jets team that was 1st and defense and 1st in rushing.

Still, there's no doubt that Tebow has gotten a lot of help along the way. Yet even when he doesn't, he still isn't given credit for it. Every single analyst after last night's game was quick to pull out the "let's be fair here, this was a great TEAM win for the Broncos" card. Of all the games Denver has won this year, this was by far the least team oriented of all of them.

Denver's defense gave up 23 points against a defensive football team that has struggled offensively in the last month. Only one team has scored enough points against Pittsburgh this year to beat them when giving up 23 points (Baltimore), and that team's RBs ran the ball for 170yds and 31 carries (5.5ypc). Denver's RBs last night contributed 72 yards on 23 carries (3.1ypc) with a crucial fumble thrown in for good measure.

You don't give up 23 points against the Steelers and win. You definitely don't give up 23 points and have your RBs contribute 3.1ypc and 2 fumbles against the Steelers and win. Yet, that's exactly what the Broncos did. People keep saying this was a "team" win. You can argue that about past games, but how was this a team win? Tebow and Thomas played well. That's it. You can argue the offensive line as well if you want to get technical, but the bottom line is that the defense gave up too many points to beat Pittsburgh and the running game was ineffective other than when Tebow ran it himself. Tebow is not a great quarterback, but he played great last night. He and Thomas were the only ones on the team that did.

If Big Ben had played the exact same game that Tebow did and won people would be clamoring over how he threw his team on his back and carried them to a win, and use it as an example of something that Tebow will never be able to do. Yet when Tebow does it, it's a good team victory. Heck, it already happened in Super Bowl 43 when Big Ben led Pitt to a victory with a mediocre point total against a bad defense and was given all the credit. Pittsburgh's defense gave up 16 net points in that game (23 points allowed, 7 points scored themselves on a defensive TD) which was the 2nd lowest total against Arizona all year, yet Big Ben takes the credit. Meanwhile, Denver beat Pittsburgh last night despite the defense giving up more points than Pitt has allowed in all but one game this season and it's a total team victory. It's unfathomable.

I understand that it gets frustrating when the casual crowd attributes every good thing that happens in Denver to Tebow (it snowed today...TEBOW!!!), but it's equally as frustrating for us to see the know-it-all haters contrive their own realities and deflect all possible credit because they are so determined to convince themselves that their maniacal assertions of how historically awful Tebow would be haven't already been rendered completely invalid.
:goodposting:

Simple question.Why is anyone labeled a hater because they say Tebow is not a good QB?
Because it's faster to type and fits into sentences better than "guy who says Tebow is not a good QB".Don't take it as an insult.Though, to be fair, there are quite a few people in this thread that fall into the more traditional definition of the word "hater" even though I've never intentionally used it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does Elway do with the draft? Totally commit to Tebow? Draft a late round qb?
I think he drafts a late round QB that runs a very similar style of offense and is a big QB who can take a hit. Like that QB for Kansas State. I can see Denver taking him in a late round to back up Tebow.
This makes sense, use the early rounds to build up depth on defense, maybe another target for Tebow.
:goodposting: And another advantage of Denver running this QB system is that they can wait to late rounds to draft a good backup QB who fits in this system. Which will allow them to use early rounds to draft other positions.

Simple question.Why is anyone labeled a hater because they say Tebow is not a good QB?
Because it's faster to type and fits into sentences better than "guy who says Tebow is not a good QB".Don't take it as an insult.
And to also be fair there is a fair amount of hyperbole from the Tebow "lover" side as well.I certainly don't hate the guy at all but am not convinced in the least that he is ever gonna be a good QB.Way too soon to declare anything with him.He gas shown some flashes of he might have it and has also shown that he is completely lost as well.

Not a lot of sense in comparing this season to Stafford and Peyton's first years since those guys both started as rookies. If it helps, Peyton had a better completion percentage and yards per attempt as a rookie than Tebow did this season. Stafford had a better completion percentage, but was worse overall. And yes, Sanchez has had a 125+ QB rating in the playoffs. Last year against New England.

The supporting cast looked pretty good to me today. Demaryius Thomas just put up 200+ yards, many of which came after the catch. The game winner was a nice throw by Tebow, but also a great individual play by Thomas to run 80 yards. Few receivers in the league score on that play.

I don't know why I'm wasting my time with this thread. Every time Tebow lays an egg, his fanboys go quiet. Every time he has a decent game, it's the opposite. There seems to be no reasonable middle ground here and no give-and-take. I've never said that he can't become a good starter, but he isn't one right now. The stats support that position. Andy Dalton had a better year than Tebow in almost every meaningful way despite having a year less experience in the league, and yet there's no fanatical hype thread for him.

If you want to look at win-loss, then yes Tebow had a good rookie year. If you want to look a objective metrics of QB performance, he was quite poor. I'm done arguing about it.
Good - because your argument is equally invalid. Collectively, the teams Tebow beat were vastly better than the teams Dalton beat.
Chicago without Cutler and Forte, Minnesota without ADP: neither team beat a playoff team. The term vastly could be considered a bit misleading; just saying.

:confused: The Bears beat the Falcons and the Lions - both rather handily (30-12 over the Falcons in week 1 and 37-13 over the Lions in week 10).

Perhaps you misunderstood what I wrote. Which playoff team was it that the Broncos (with Tebow) or the Bengals beat in the regular season? If you look, the Bears (who didn't make the playoffs) beat Atlanta and the Lions with Cutler and Forte.

But don't let those facts slap you in the face either.

Because it's faster to type and fits into sentences better than "guy who says Tebow is not a good QB".Don't take it as an insult.
And to also be fair there is a fair amount of hyperbole from the Tebow "lover" side as well.I certainly don't hate the guy at all but am not convinced in the least that he is ever gonna be a good QB.Way too soon to declare anything with him.He gas shown some flashes of he might have it and has also shown that he is completely lost as well.
Your point is a fair one. I think one of the issues is that there are people in this thread who have declared numerous times that Tebow cannot become a succesful NFL QB ever and that he is arguably the worst QB in NFL history - that kind of extreme is labelled as "hater".Honestly I think most of us are somewhere in the middle (with leaning toward either believing his positives are more indicative of his future - as is the case with me or others who are also unsure but lean that his weaknesses are more indicative of his future). Very few posting in this thread are blind "lovers" or "haters".I think most of us would like to see blame when it is due and props given when earned. Blind "Tebow-lovers" are apt to not give the former, while haters refuse the latter (or even when doing so, do it in a way that is actually feint praise or a back-handed compliment which isn't sincere at all).I think most of us though, have seen what you have. Glimpses of both the great and grotesque. Some of us think the great shows his potential, while the flaws can be lessened as he develops and matures as an NFL QB. Certainly their are succesful NFL QBs who have looked just as bad if not worse. And yes, there have been bad QBs who have won playoff games or looked decent for short stints.

Perhaps you misunderstood what I wrote. Which playoff team was it that the Broncos (with Tebow) or the Bengals beat in the regular season? If you look, the Bears (who didn't make the playoffs) beat Atlanta and the Lions with Cutler and Forte.

But don't let those facts slap you in the face either.
I didn't misunderstand what you wrote. You didn't write what you meant. Feel to google "Using a colon in a sentence".There is no need to respond and completely hijack the thread. YWIA for the free English lesson. :thumbup:

People need to stop confusing the people supporting Tebow in this thread with the casual "omg Tebow best evah!!!" crowd. Stop getting into an argument with Maniacal Johnny Fratboy who thinks Tebow should be MVP at your house and posting your response in here to people that aren't making that argument.

Tebow hasn't been an all-star this year, but he's played well in spurts and has far exceeded what the pundits thought he would ever do in his entire career, much less one year. The bottom line is that Tebow gets too much credit from the casual crowd and too little credit from the hardcore crowd. The analysts and message board all-stars do nothing but doubt and deflect credit.

Comparing Tebow to guys like Sanchez, Dilfer, and Grossman is disingenious because those guys all played with top 2 defenses. People were drafting those defenses in the 5th-8th round of fantasy drafts and they were even better in real life than they were in fantasy. Denver's D has had some good games but overall they're 24th in the NFL in scoring defense. They've been a little bit better (22nd I believe) since Tebow took over but it's not like he inherited some great team that any horrible QB can win with. Unlike those other guys, we've seen this team with other QBs and they were much closer to finishing with the worst record in the league than they were to winning a playoff game.

New England is constantly regarded as having an awful defense that they win in spite of, yet they've allowed 48 FEWER points than Denver, who has only won because of their defense. On what planet does that make sense?

Denver does have the #1 rushing offense in the NFL but Tebow is a big contributor to that himself. If you take QB rushing yards out of the equation they're 10th. So you've got a team with the #24 defense and #10 rushing attack and that's a team that you can just plug "the worst quarterback since the invention of the facemask" into? I don't think so, nor do I think this Denver team is in any way comparable to a Jets team that was 1st and defense and 1st in rushing.

Still, there's no doubt that Tebow has gotten a lot of help along the way. Yet even when he doesn't, he still isn't given credit for it. Every single analyst after last night's game was quick to pull out the "let's be fair here, this was a great TEAM win for the Broncos" card. Of all the games Denver has won this year, this was by far the least team oriented of all of them.

Denver's defense gave up 23 points against a defensive football team that has struggled offensively in the last month. Only one team has scored enough points against Pittsburgh this year to beat them when giving up 23 points (Baltimore), and that team's RBs ran the ball for 170yds and 31 carries (5.5ypc). Denver's RBs last night contributed 72 yards on 23 carries (3.1ypc) with a crucial fumble thrown in for good measure.

You don't give up 23 points against the Steelers and win. You definitely don't give up 23 points and have your RBs contribute 3.1ypc and 2 fumbles against the Steelers and win. Yet, that's exactly what the Broncos did. People keep saying this was a "team" win. You can argue that about past games, but how was this a team win? Tebow and Thomas played well. That's it. You can argue the offensive line as well if you want to get technical, but the bottom line is that the defense gave up too many points to beat Pittsburgh and the running game was ineffective other than when Tebow ran it himself. Tebow is not a great quarterback, but he played great last night. He and Thomas were the only ones on the team that did.

If Big Ben had played the exact same game that Tebow did and won people would be clamoring over how he threw his team on his back and carried them to a win, and use it as an example of something that Tebow will never be able to do. Yet when Tebow does it, it's a good team victory. Heck, it already happened in Super Bowl 43 when Big Ben led Pitt to a victory with a mediocre point total against a bad defense and was given all the credit. Pittsburgh's defense gave up 16 net points in that game (23 points allowed, 7 points scored themselves on a defensive TD) which was the 2nd lowest total against Arizona all year, yet Big Ben takes the credit. Meanwhile, Denver beat Pittsburgh last night despite the defense giving up more points than Pitt has allowed in all but one game this season and it's a total team victory. It's unfathomable.

I understand that it gets frustrating when the casual crowd attributes every good thing that happens in Denver to Tebow (it snowed today...TEBOW!!!), but it's equally as frustrating for us to see the know-it-all haters contrive their own realities and deflect all possible credit because they are so determined to convince themselves that their maniacal assertions of how historically awful Tebow would be haven't already been rendered completely invalid.

Funny thing about the Jets, Chargers, and Raiders. They all would have made the playoffs if they'd beaten Denver with Tebow.The other funny thing about them is they were all considered good teams who were going to put Tebow in his place until they lost to him, at which point they instantly became schmucks that anyone can beat.It's not like it's unusual for a team to not rack up a bunch of wins against playoff teams. With the Broncos win over the Steelers this week it puts them right in the middle of the pack in good wins, really.New England hasn't beaten a team with a winning record all year and they got a first round bye.Atlanta has 1 win against a playoff team (Detroit)Houston has 2 (Pittsburgh and a 1-point win vs Cincy)NYG have 2 (New England and this week's game vs Atlanta)Cinci has 0Pitt has 2 (New England and Cinci)Detroit has 1 (Denver)Denver has 1 (Pittsburgh)

Sorry if this has already been posted, I didn't see it . . . Schefter reporting today that Tebow's contract has a $250,000 escalator for each playoff win. :moneybag:

Simple question.

Why is anyone labeled a hater because they say Tebow is not a good QB?
If you're not a Bronco fan, why even care how good/bad of a QB Tebow might be?
Because I enjoy scouting players. I do this with all the players in the league for my dynasty leagues.
No offense to you specifically, Tom - but I see this type of comment often and I find it hysterical.
So you choose to count on others for your opinions of players? If so I also find that hysterical.

Funny thing about the Jets, Chargers, and Raiders. They all would have made the playoffs if they'd beaten Denver with Tebow.The other funny thing about them is they were all considered good teams who were going to put Tebow in his place until they lost to him, at which point they instantly became schmucks that anyone can beat.
Very :goodposting: I always thought it was odd how people kept saying "Team X would be the team that finally beat Tebow" and then after the Broncos won that team suddenly wasn't any good anyway.

EBF, nobody in this thread thinks that Tebow is a good NFL QB right now. Nobody. He was horrible against KC, but a lot of the blame has to go with Fox, who coached that game like Tebow couldn't win it....they were playing not to lose. Yesterday, Fox coached to win the game.....made Tebow have to make plays to do it......and he did. That pass to Thomas in OT was money.....it was a bullet right on the money and Thomas didn't miss a stride.He has a ways to go until he's a good NFL QB, but yesterday proved that he's capable of it. He needs an offseason to improve his accuracy and improve his decision making......he still holds the ball too long.

If he can improve his accuracy and his decision making, he can be very good, and DEN's offense could be pretty hard to stop. Imagine near the goalline. Spread out 5 WRs....how do you cover them all AND spy on a Tebow QB keeper?

We'll see what happens next year. If he regresses next year, then the critics can have a good argument.
FWIW, I think Tim Tebow is a good NFL QB right now. There are less than 100 NFL QB jobs in the world. 32 starters. If you take the entire package of what a QB does to help win or lose football games, he is at minimum in the top half of those starters. In other words, I'd rank him somewhere between the 9th and 16th QB in the planet at the moment. This is with very little experience at the NFL level. By my definition, that is a good QB.

Funny thing about the Jets, Chargers, and Raiders. They all would have made the playoffs if they'd beaten Denver with Tebow.The other funny thing about them is they were all considered good teams who were going to put Tebow in his place until they lost to him, at which point they instantly became schmucks that anyone can beat.
Very :goodposting: I always thought it was odd how people kept saying "Team X would be the team that finally beat Tebow" and then after the Broncos won that team suddenly wasn't any good anyway.
You both lost the gist of the original post but that isn't surprising as this thread has dragged on ad-nauseam. If you don't understand the difference in beating the Bears with Cutler and Forte I can't help you there.Had the Broncos beat the Chiefs in the lst game of the season they wouldn't have had to wait for the awful Raiders to lose to get into the playoffs. Oh, and they might have more readily accepted their hats and T-Shirts as winners of the division. I give them a lot of credit for that.For what it's worth I have posted kudos to Tebow for his play yesterday in other threads. The best game I have seen him play to date. Tebow was the same QB when he won seven of eight games followed by three straight losses. He made some nice plays yesterday; D Thomas didn't hurt his cause either, he was fantastic; neither did the defense; neither did the coaching staff. Actually, he had fewer isolated heroics in yesterday's game than in other previous games. But that is the nature of football isn't it? You often win as a team. Tebow is part of one. The lightning rod isn't going away any time soon.

If you don't understand the difference in beating the Bears with Cutler and Forte I can't help you there.
Of course I do. But my point still stands. Team X was always going to be the team that stopped Tebow. But then when the Broncos won it wasn't because of anything Tebow did but rather what the other team didn't do or some would backtrack on their original point and say that team wasn't very good to begin with. The Jets game was a prime example. That was supposed to be the defense and team that put an end to Tebow Time. Then when it happened again, people backtracked and said the Jets weren't very good anyway. Sorry, but you can't have it both ways.FreeBaGel's point about how those teams would have been playoff teams had they only beaten the Broncos and Tebow speaks volumes as well.

If you don't understand the difference in beating the Bears with Cutler and Forte I can't help you there.
Of course I do. But my point still stands. Team X was always going to be the team that stopped Tebow. But then when the Broncos won it wasn't because of anything Tebow did but rather what the other team didn't do or some would backtrack on their original point and say that team wasn't very good to begin with. The Jets game was a prime example. That was supposed to be the defense and team that put an end to Tebow Time. Then when it happened again, people backtracked and said the Jets weren't very good anyway. Sorry, but you can't have it both ways.FreeBaGel's point about how those teams would have been playoff teams had they only beaten the Broncos and Tebow speaks volumes as well.
:goodposting: As I said either here or in another thread, you can only beat who the other team lines up. Plus it's not like Tebow was stepping in like Steve Young to the Dynasty 49ers here. This is a team that has gone 4-14 over the last two seasons when Tebow isn't starting. Not to mention that management traded away arguably the best offensive player as soon as Tebow took over. If he's the liability that some people want to make him out to be, should it really matter that they faced a back-up here or there? Don't bad teams with bad QB's lose those games?

Extremely good posting!!!!!

Funny thing about the Jets, Chargers, and Raiders. They all would have made the playoffs if they'd beaten Denver with Tebow.

The other funny thing about them is they were all considered good teams who were going to put Tebow in his place until they lost to him, at which point they instantly became schmucks that anyone can beat.
You both lost the gist of the original post but that isn't surprising as this thread has dragged on ad-nauseam. If you don't understand the difference in beating the Bears with Cutler and Forte I can't help you there.

Had the Broncos beat the Chiefs in the lst game of the season they wouldn't have had to wait for the awful Raiders to lose to get into the playoffs. Oh, and they might have more readily accepted their hats and T-Shirts as winners of the division. I give them a lot of credit for that.

For what it's worth I have posted kudos to Tebow for his play yesterday in other threads. The best game I have seen him play to date.

Tebow was the same QB when he won seven of eight games followed by three straight losses. He made some nice plays yesterday; D Thomas didn't hurt his cause either, he was fantastic; neither did the defense; neither did the coaching staff. Actually, he had fewer isolated heroics in yesterday's game than in other previous games. But that is the nature of football isn't it? You often win as a team. Tebow is part of one. The lightning rod isn't going away any time soon.
The defense allowed the Steelers to score better than their season average with their 3rd string RB, Ben barely able to walk and half the offensive line missing.Not only that but it seemed like they couldn't stop the Steelers all of the 2nd half.

Then again they're imo a pretty poor defense who gets a lot of credit for playing a lot of bad offenses lately and getting torched by anything resembling a pro offense.

EDIT

I'll give the Denver defense credit if the Pats score anything less than 30.

I'll even give a +3 for every offensive turnover.

So if the offense has 3 turnovers and the Pats score 38 I'll say they played a good game. If they score 40 I'll keep saying that this defense is terrible like I have been for quite a while.

Extremely good posting!!!!!
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:

Denver's defense has some very good pieces but it also has a lot of holes. Sometimes guys like Miller and Dummervil can cover up those holes with big plays, but when they don't decent offenses go up and down the field on the Broncos.

Not a lot of sense in comparing this season to Stafford and Peyton's first years since those guys both started as rookies. If it helps, Peyton had a better completion percentage and yards per attempt as a rookie than Tebow did this season. Stafford had a better completion percentage, but was worse overall. And yes, Sanchez has had a 125+ QB rating in the playoffs. Last year against New England. The supporting cast looked pretty good to me today. Demaryius Thomas just put up 200+ yards, many of which came after the catch. The game winner was a nice throw by Tebow, but also a great individual play by Thomas to run 80 yards. Few receivers in the league score on that play. I don't know why I'm wasting my time with this thread. Every time Tebow lays an egg, his fanboys go quiet. Every time he has a decent game, it's the opposite. There seems to be no reasonable middle ground here and no give-and-take. I've never said that he can't become a good starter, but he isn't one right now. The stats support that position. Andy Dalton had a better year than Tebow in almost every meaningful way despite having a year less experience in the league, and yet there's no fanatical hype thread for him. If you want to look at win-loss, then yes Tebow had a good rookie year. If you want to look a objective metrics of QB performance, he was quite poor. I'm done arguing about it.
Not a lot of sense in comparing him to Trent Dilfer or Mark Sanchez, that was the point ...One thing your not taking into consideration is Rushing yards and how that affects what the defenses play against the Broncos. It was Clear as day yesterday. Yes, Demaryius is going to be a good one, Name another budding prospect on that team.

Good stuff in here:

Tim Tebow spawns eight brainy theories

By DJ Gallo

Page 2

Yet again, we were somehow all caught off guard by Tim Tebow. Not only is he winning, but he's winning in the playoffs and putting up eye-popping numbers through the air. Tebow is unlike any other NFL quarterback we've seen before. What are we to make of him? Who is he?

Here are eight theories:

Tim Tebow: Football Troll

The image of your average Internet message-board troll is that of a weak, pasty basement dweller whose life is focused on getting people riled up in comments sections. Now imagine if such a troll was a muscled 6-foot-3, 236-pounder who decided to troll the entire country on national television every week? You'd have Tim Tebow.

He started the season as the third-stringer, and everyone freaked out. Then he got a start and won, and everyone freaked out. Then in his second start, he played horribly and got crushed, and everyone freaked out. Then he went on a winning streak, and everyone freaked out. Then he went on a losing streak, and everyone freaked out. Then he won a playoff game, and everyone freaked out.

Victim count: football scouts, football media, Tebow haters, Tebow supporters, John Fox, John Elway, his teammates, me, you. At some point along the way, he's made everyone look stupid. Well played, Tebow. Well played. If the NFL were a message board, Tebow would be typing "FIRST!" in the playoffs thread.

Tim Tebow: Football Chess Master

Everyone else in football thinks play to play and game to game. But Tebow is much wiser than that. He is several moves ahead of the rest of the NFL.

Three weeks ago, Tebow saw how the playoffs were lining up. The Patriots had the inside track on the No. 1 seed in the AFC and the Broncos were the likely No. 4 seed -- setting up a first-round matchup with the Steelers and their top-ranked defense. So Tebow went out and lost to the Patriots, then played so horribly against the Bills and the Chiefs that he tricked the Steelers into playing 11 guys at the line of scrimmage. Trap set. With Pittsburgh convinced he was incapable of completing a pass, Tebow set about torching Pittsburgh's secondary with long passes -- when the Steelers easily could have contained him with a simple base defense used against every other quarterback in the NFL. Now Tebow rolls into New England to face a Patriots team that believes they already know how to stop him. How naive. Broncos by 50.

Tim Tebow: Publicity Expert

It's a slightly more refined version of the Football Troll. Tebow dominates the news cycle no matter what. When you think the Tebow story can't get any bigger, it just does. He's the Lady Gaga of football. His throwing motion is his meat dress. Doubt me? Ms. Gaga tweeted the following about her fellow traveler: "Giants fan but wow. #Tebow Thats (sic) what the f--- a champion looks like."

Tim Tebow: Sociological Experiment

We know that Tebow was a Family, Youth and Community Services major at Florida. But does anyone know if he is doing any postgraduate or Ph.D. work there? A thesis titled "Religious Quarterbacks with a Unique Throwing Motion and the Cultural Response" would be quite a read.

Tim Tebow: Media Savior

Brett Favre used to be the go-to name for members of the sports media in need of a column or segment topic. But he went away, and the collective football media panicked. Fortunately, in stepped Tebow. This alone could turn thousands of grateful sports media members to religion. And I'm as guilty as anyone else. In the past two months, I've written approximately 127 Tebow columns. But I've also started tithing. Thanks Tim!

Tim Tebow: Spiritual Icon, Motivational Speaker, Future President

Does God care about the outcome of football games? Does it matter? Tebow is making millions of people believe that God does. Just check out Twitter after any Broncos win. Or look at all the hysteria over his throwing for 316 yards against the Steelers. OMG! Like John 3:16! It's a sign! Yes, even a coincidental stat has become evidence of Tebow's heavenly favor. And 316 yards is specifically a reference to John 3:16, of course, not any of the 3:16s in the other 66 books of the Bible, such as Leviticus 3:16: "And the priest shall burn them upon the altar: it is the food of the offering made by fire for a sweet savour: all the fat is the LORD'S." Nope. Totally John 3:16.

Do standard motivational sports clichés like "doing your best" and "never giving up" and "being positive" actually inspire anyone? Apparently.

Will a wholesome, handsome ex-football star who can draw the religious vote and appeal to the tens of millions of Oprah-loving pop psychologists win 51 percent of the vote in the 2024 presidential election? No, he will win 91 percent of the vote in the 2024 presidential election. The 9 percent who don't vote for him will just be hard-core Raiders, Chargers, Chiefs, Alabama, LSU, Georgia and Ron Paul fans.

Tim Tebow: Zombie

He can't be stopped. He can't be killed. He just keeps coming for you. Coming for us all. He doesn't want to kill you. He doesn't want to eat your flesh. He just wants to win. He's the world's first wholesome, positive zombie. The only screams you'll hear are his ... celebrating another touchdown.

Tim Tebow: Good, Young Developing Quarterback

Now stay with me on this one. It's the craziest theory yet. Here we go: Tim Tebow is a young NFL quarterback who has started only 15 games in his career. As such, he is still getting acclimated to the pro game. So sometimes he plays very well, sometimes not so well, and other times he does his job and contributes to a win equally alongside his defense, running backs, etc. I know. I know. Psychotic. The rambling, incoherent thoughts of a madman. But maybe so insane that it's sane?

People are acting like Tebow will continue to have a 50% completion rate. Absolutely no doubt he's going to improve. Also, the Broncos throw a lot of deep routes which by nature, get completed less often. They also don't throw many screens/bubble screens which inflate other QB's completion percentage.

Tebows's completion rate will further improve as soon as the Broncos start throwing on 1st down more often (as they gain confidence in him). It's much easier for Ds to defend the pass when they know it's coming. This will be Tebow's first real season of offseason work, as well, & he'll continue to get better & better. Like I've said before, he's got a massive amount of headroom.

Tebow is inconsistent right now, but QB is the easiest position to improve at, simply because it's the hardest to master. Essentially, the reason I like Tebow as an NFL/FF QB is because of his combination of intangibles, running/athletic ability, arm strength, work ethic, character, smarts, & last but not least, the dude is a football player.

Some pretty good postings by the Tebow defenders here on the last page or so. Tebow needs a lot of work, but what 2nd year player doesn't.

BTW, I don't believe the Broncos have much of a chance in New England. It could even get ugly. They're only chance is if the D can force some turnovers.

I think the Broncos are definitely headed in the right direction, though.

Responding to a few posts and adding additional...

People are acting like Tebow will continue to have a 50% completion rate. Absolutely no doubt he's going to improve. Also, the Broncos throw a lot of deep routes which by nature, get completed less often. They also don't throw many screens/bubble screens which inflate other QB's completion percentage.
If anybody cared to watch the games, a large number of his passes are just throw-aways which is how he's been instructed to play (on the conservative side) and play the field position game. For every pass, a QB has to assess the risk/reward and I think that Coach John Fox has told Tebow to tend to the very conservative side - thus the obvious throw-aways, especially when ahead. Against the Steelers, there were also 4-5 dropped passes that should have easily been caught. In addition to Eric Decker being injured early on, the Broncos trading away their only legit #1 WR Brandon Lloyd, and no TEs worth a crap. The Broncos are severely under-talented in the receiving department and their game plan and Tebow's decision making reflect that.
What does Elway do with the draft? Totally commit to Tebow? Draft a late round qb?
Several questions to be answered:1) What does Elway do in the off-season? Get some decent talent at WR, TE and FB. The offense that the Broncos are attempting to run requires WRs that can block when called on, catch the ball when thrown to, and not fumble ever - running a 4.2 40 is not necessary. Same thing with the TE. And the RBs and FBs need to not fumble and know how to pick up the blitz. The skills needed to execute this offense is the same as other pro offenses but there's a complete focus on not turning the ball over and not losing yards on plays. If anybody cared to check, the Gators receiving corps while Tebow was there were much better than the Broncos have now.2) Totally commit to Tebow? Yes. Elway will become persona non grata if he dumps Tebow. Because some other team will get him and start winning with him.3) Draft a late round QB? No. Spread option QBs aren't getting snatched up - you can sign them any time you want. The draft needs are more for the offensive line and maintaining a strong defense. * * * Further thoughts:I finally heard an ESPN analyst finally "get" why Tebow has found a little success in the NFL to whatever degree so far while running this offense. It took a while but Trent Dilfer realized last night that defenses are reacting to several more things than they normally have to: (a) The setup before the snap, (b) the initial read of the play (run/pass/option), © the next step of the play (run/pass/option). This is exactly what has made this offense successful in the past and why Tebow is still finding success in it. Tebow is more than just a scrambling QB like Mike Vick or Randall Cunningham. He's a person who can make reads before the snap and after the snap that can outrun 95% of the DLinemen, outrun 50% of the LBs, and not be afraid of 100% of the DBs. He's a person who knows how to keep the play alive and how not to get the crap knocked out of himself which makes him exit the game.Final thoughts:Some people are trying to compare his skills to Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rogers and Tom Brady in order to prove he sucks. Anybody that does that is wasting their time. He's a different kind of QB running a different kind of offense. He and this offense are brand new to the NFL and the Broncos whereas the other guys have been in the league for a decade and have well established teams.I hope Elway is ambitious and brave enough to give it a try for a few years and provide full support to the coaches and team. As has been witnessed in the last 11 weeks, he's become an international phenomenon and it's great TV.

BTW, I don't believe the Broncos have much of a chance in New England. It could even get ugly. They're only chance is if the D can force some turnovers.I think the Broncos are definitely headed in the right direction, though.
Agreed. The Broncos took control of the game in Denver and looked great in the first half. But 3 quick turnovers in their own territory hurt. And the secondary had no answer for the passing game - but who does.The Patriots offense needs to be kept on the sideline and the Broncos need to run, move the changes, and keep running. Wear out the Pats defense and keep their own defense fresh. Get to Brady as quickly as possible and keep knocking him down. He doesn't like to get roughed up - no QB does.If Foxboro gets cold and windy Saturday night, it could make passes over 20 yards difficult. But the Broncos are going to need to win the turnover battle to have a chance.

I really think the Broncos are on to something offensively. I've always thought the belly option would work in the NFL. It's damned hard to defend with the right personnel, especially with an awesome OL & a QB who can run like a HB who's adept at whether to hand off or keep it. Add in Thomas, Decker, & Royal, & I believe their WR corps is actually pretty good. Not to mention Julius Thomas who very well could be the next basketball player turned top TE. I believe they'll figure out a way to start getting him involved next season.

You still need a decent passer & what saves Tebow as a thrower are two things. One, his innate ability (like a healthy Big Ben) to escape pressure (mostly due to his strength) & make the big play. I don't care how good a DB is, he can't cover a good high school WR for 10 seconds. The other thing is Tebow's overlooked arm strength. Not saying he's got a bazooka, but it's plenty good enough to overcome his longer delivery. He's also starting to do the little things like look off safeties. Tebow just needs some time/experience.

Also, nobody will work harder at his craft. I don't believe you can improve raw athletic ability like speed (to any real degree), but improving non-raw athletic endeavors like passing consistency/accuracy can definitely be accomplished.

Many people are selling Tebow WAY short. It won't happen overnight, but this kid can be an outstanding FF QB in time (& he's not bad now). After all, FF is why we're on this board.

I really think the Broncos are on to something offensively. I've always thought the belly option would work in the NFL. It's damned hard to defend with the right personnel, especially with an awesome OL & a QB who can run like a HB who's adept at whether to hand off or keep it. Add in Thomas, Decker, & Royal, & I believe their WR corps is actually pretty good. Not to mention Julius Thomas who very well could be the next basketball player turned top TE. I believe they'll figure out a way to start getting him involved next season. You still need a decent passer & what saves Tebow as a thrower are two things. One, his innate ability (like a healthy Big Ben) to escape pressure (mostly due to his strength) & make the big play. I don't care how good a DB is, he can't cover a good high school WR for 10 seconds. The other thing is Tebow's overlooked arm strength. Not saying he's got a bazooka, but it's plenty good enough to overcome his longer delivery. He's also starting to do the little things like look off safeties. Tebow just needs some time/experience.Also, nobody will work harder at his craft. I don't believe you can improve raw athletic ability like speed (to any real degree), but improving non-raw athletic endeavors like passing consistency/accuracy can definitely be accomplished.Many people are selling Tebow WAY short. It won't happen overnight, but this kid can be an outstanding FF QB in time (& he's not bad now). After all, FF is why we're on this board.
I hear ya but if he doesn't improve his passing game he won't be on the field to help your FF game. Tebow has been a nice story but my gut tells me what happened and how it has happened this year will not happen next year. His last game (his best game) was a very good game, but there were circumstances. He threw for over 300 yards, but that was on 10 passes, an abberation. (not to mention his style of play opens him up to injury far more than a pure passing QB) How many running backs got dinged up this year and missed time.

People are acting like Tebow will continue to have a 50% completion rate. Absolutely no doubt he's going to improve. Also, the Broncos throw a lot of deep routes which by nature, get completed less often. They also don't throw many screens/bubble screens which inflate other QB's completion percentage. Tebows's completion rate will further improve as soon as the Broncos start throwing on 1st down more often (as they gain confidence in him). It's much easier for Ds to defend the pass when they know it's coming. This will be Tebow's first real season of offseason work, as well, & he'll continue to get better & better. Like I've said before, he's got a massive amount of headroom.

Tebow is inconsistent right now, but QB is the easiest position to improve at, simply because it's the hardest to master. Essentially, the reason I like Tebow as an NFL/FF QB is because of his combination of intangibles, running/athletic ability, arm strength, work ethic, character, smarts, & last but not least, the dude is a football player.
With Tebow's elongated throwing motion and very slow release bubble screens and quick outs wouldn't be effective. Throws to the sidelines, particularly to his right, isn't one of his strengths. Pittsburgh did not defend well against Tebow's strength as a QB which is the down field, slower developing throw. Even the crossing routes he hit to Thomas in OT and the non-catch by Decker were one read plays that allowed (with good blocking bby the offensive line) Tebow to see the play develop and throw to his called play. The OC did a great job of calling the right play and Tebow made some really nice throws. With McGhee hobbled the Bronco's weren't going to beat the Steelers with Lance Ball and Tebow running into the line. The coaching staff very wisely allowed Tebow to pass early, it was their only real chance.

The Wallace drop in the 2nd quarter and the Legursky bad snap were buzz kills for a Steelers offense that was struggling to do anything right in the first half. Denver's D played a physical/spirited game.

Denver put it all together on Sunday and deserved to win the game.

This is the first time that Tebow looked like a legit passing threat. John Fox had held him back a lot during the regular season until he had no choice. Yesterday they finally took the training wheels off early in the game and it paid off.
It might have seemed like Fox took the training wheels off - but they've been off for more than a few games now. He called a similar game to what he's called for about the entire second half of the season. I could see how it might look like he changed the gameplan from the outside, though. When you watched a Bronco game (before this past playoff game) you'd see WRs, TEs and RBs open on their routes and not get the ball. You'd see them sit in the zone and wave their arms but Tebow would have already decided to run instead of using the pocket. You'd see the same patterns being run as you saw yesterday. The difference is Tebow pulled the trigger today and was accurate enough when he did.

This was all about Tebow letting it loose a bit more and having a good day. The Steelers were gearing up so hard against the run that it left even more space than normal in the secondary. Fox has been consistant in the gameplan for a while now - leaving it up to Tebow to make the reads and the throws to win the games. Today Tebow made the decision to throw the ball as soon as he saw them open - to trust he reads he saw on film all week and trust his initial read on the field.

If he continues to do this it's a HUGE help towards us winning games. This will keep teams from bringing both safties so close to the line. Heck, on some plays Polamalu was within 7 yards of the LOS with no one behind him. Tebow made him pay and the coaching staff did a good job of expecting it and putting in the plays for Tebow to execute. This is what makes it so damn hard for teams to defend sometimes - do they give up the big play potential and sell out against our run or do they prevent the big play and lose one or two defenders out of the box? If Tebow will just make the reads he should then we can beat teams that can't score tons of points.

Which brings us to the Pats this week. This is the type of team where Tebow needs to be accurate mid- and short-range, as well. Keep drives alive and pick up first downs when needed. The Pats can score, no doubt. Let's see what the coaches come up with this week and see how Tebow does. I'm praying for the best.

Can we please stop calling this his rookie year?
:link: No offense, but I haven't seen this.
I searched this thread for "rookie" and found these on the first page of results. There may be more, there were six pages and I didn't feel like going through all of them. (Obviously most of the hits are not actually calling Tebow a rookie)http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=13992288http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=13966258

Perhaps you misunderstood what I wrote. Which playoff team was it that the Broncos (with Tebow) or the Bengals beat in the regular season?

If you look, the Bears (who didn't make the playoffs) beat Atlanta and the Lions with Cutler and Forte.

It's not like it's unusual for a team to not rack up a bunch of wins against playoff teams. With the Broncos win over the Steelers this week it puts them right in the middle of the pack in good wins, really.

New England hasn't beaten a team with a winning record all year and they got a first round bye.

Atlanta has 1 win against a playoff team (Detroit)

Houston has 2 (Pittsburgh and a 1-point win vs Cincy)

NYG have 2 (New England and this week's game vs Atlanta)

Cinci has 0

Pitt has 2 (New England and Cinci)

Detroit has 1 (Denver)

Denver has 1 (Pittsburgh)
Technically Denver has a winning record so NE has 1 win over a team with a winning record right now. That will not be the case if they beat Denver again.

Simple question.

Why is anyone labeled a hater because they say Tebow is not a good QB?
If you're not a Bronco fan, why even care how good/bad of a QB Tebow might be?
Because I enjoy scouting players. I do this with all the players in the league for my dynasty leagues.
No offense to you specifically, Tom - but I see this type of comment often and I find it hysterical.
So you choose to count on others for your opinions of players? If so I also find that hysterical.
What did Tebow run in the agility drill for you?

:thumbup:
Can we please stop calling this his rookie year?
:link: No offense, but I haven't seen this.
I searched this thread for "rookie" and found these on the first page of results. There may be more, there were six pages and I didn't feel like going through all of them. (Obviously most of the hits are not actually calling Tebow a rookie)http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=13992288http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=13966258
Well color me suprised. :shrug:Okay - STOP CALLING HIM A ROOKIE EVERYBODY!! Got that?There we go. That outta do it. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread