What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who's Better, Flacco or Romo? (1 Viewer)

sspunisher

Footballguy
Let's keep this simple. No explanations. No "in fantasy I'd want him but in real life I prefer him." Consider whatever football factors are most important to you and give me your 1 word response to the following question:

Flacco or Romo?

Last edited by a moderator:
Romo and it's not even remotely close.

Flacco's best QB rating of his career would have been Romo's 2nd worst. Flacco's best YPA of his career would have been Romo's worst. TD/INT ratio isn't even close.

Flacco consistently makes the playoffs with a top 3 defense. Whoopdie doo. What teams with a top 3 defense don't make the playoffs? It's not hard and I don't get why Flacco goes nuts over thinking he should be considered in the same league as the QBs in the tier above him. He shouldn't even be in the tier he's considered in. Romo? Rivers? Pfff, Flacco isn't even in their league.

Romo... :thumbup:

Sounds like round 8 of a fantasy draft and you need a consensus :yes:

How many playoff wins does Romo have again? How many times has he blown games?

I'm not a Flacco fan by any means, but I've never understood the Romo obsession.

How many playoff wins does Romo have again? How many times has he blown games?I'm not a Flacco fan by any means, but I've never understood the Romo obsession.
I think he's blown games in dramatic fashion, but not nearly as often as his detractors (not saying you're one) think. "How many times has he been the reason they've won games?" is the better question. I think he's probably done more of the latter than the former. By comparison, Flacco is a game manager and effectively irrelevant for most of their wins and losses.

Flacco's best QB rating of his career would have been Romo's 2nd worst. Flacco's best YPA of his career would have been Romo's worst. TD/INT ratio isn't even close.

Flacco consistently makes the playoffs with a top 3 defense. Whoopdie doo. What teams with a top 3 defense don't make the playoffs? It's not hard and I don't get why Flacco goes nuts over thinking he should be considered in the same league as the QBs in the tier above him. He shouldn't even be in the tier he's considered in. Romo? Rivers? Pfff, Flacco isn't even in their league.
:goodposting:

How many playoff wins does Romo have again? How many times has he blown games?I'm not a Flacco fan by any means, but I've never understood the Romo obsession.
I think he's blown games in dramatic fashion, but not nearly as often as his detractors (not saying you're one) think. "How many times has he been the reason they've won games?" is the better question. I think he's probably done more of the latter than the former. By comparison, Flacco is a game manager and effectively irrelevant for most of their wins and losses.
I agree with most of what you're saying. Romo just has never impressed me......not saying Flacco has. I just think in a close game/pressure situation I'd rather the ball be in Flacco's hands. Romo is a choker. Stats mean nothing. This is just a ridiculous thread started by a Cowboy fan spinning off a debate on the NFLN. They're both mediocre.

To answer the question you were really asking...

Go ahead and grab your 3rd WR. Flacco will still be there next round.

Sounds like round 8 of a fantasy draft and you need a consensus :yes:
Lol for the record, anyone who drafts Flacco ahead of Romo is an idiot, so that's a negative on seeking advice. Real reason for this thread was that I am beyond shocked at how some people don't recognize Romo's talent. I've gotten to the point where I judge someone's football knowledge on the things they say about Romo .I have a very hard time keeping Romo out of Top 5 QB discussions, lowest I can see someone logically reasoning is 7 or 8. Seeing him ranked so low like in the Top 100 Players Countdown, just barely ahead of Tebow and way behind Flacco just really shocks me.

Romo is better and I'd say the pressure is on Flacco to catch up as opposed to assigning failures to Romo to knock him down. Would the Ravens offense be better if Romo is the QB? Hard to argue it wouldn't. I'm not a Flacco hater either and am in the minority in thinking Flacco is a better QB than the media and his stats imply. But Romo has been far superior to this point in their careers.

I don't know that I'd put him as a lock top 5 or even top 7 QB in the NFL though. I have all these guys ahead of him:

Brady,Rivers, Eli, Ben, Peyton, Brees, and Rodgers.

I'd also estimate that Newton and Stafford could justifiably be taken over Romo. They don't have the career stats to back it up ... yet, however they've both shown in short timeframes that they can be elite QB's. I'm comfortable putting Romo in the top 10 of NFL QB's but he might be the last one admitted to the party.

I might bump up Romo very slightly if we're talking fantasy.

Let's keep this simple. No explanations. No "in fantasy I'd want him but in real life I prefer him." Consider whatever football factors are most important to you and give me your 1 word response to the following question:Flacco or Romo?
I don't think you can meaningfully answer the question without context, because it really depends. Who has had the better career, better stats, better success over the past several years? Clearly Romo. Who will have a better season in football in 2012? I'd guess Romo because he's got lots more weapons around him (Dez, Austin, Witten), he's still young enough without real competition, and the Cowboys style of play emphasizes offensive production. Who will be a better QB for the 2013-16 seasons? Probably Flacco. He's been solid so far, and is entering what could be a more productive phase of his career, with some young and potentially effective weapons on offense (Rice, Smith Doss). Romo's likely to be entering a declining phase of his career soon. Flacco might also flop 2013-16, but his upside potential is at least much better than Romo's for that period.

I agree with most of what you're saying. Romo just has never impressed me......not saying Flacco has. I just think in a close game/pressure situation I'd rather the ball be in Flacco's hands. Romo is a choker. Stats mean nothing. This is just a ridiculous thread started by a Cowboy fan spinning off a debate on the NFLN. They're both mediocre.
Has Joe Flacco even been put in a situation where he has had to make a throw to win a game?Romo has had to put the Cowboys on his back and try and win the game numerous times, where as I can recall maybe once or twice over Flacco's entire career he's had to do the same.

Has Joe Flacco even been put in a situation where he has had to make a throw to win a game?Romo has had to put the Cowboys on his back and try and win the game numerous times, where as I can recall maybe once or twice over Flacco's entire career he's had to do the same.
Yes he has and has peformed well. IN fantasy give me Romo because of the team. IN real NFL give me Flacco. He showed a ton last year and did lead teams on winning drives. He was pretty good vs NE and he played well enough for them to win. He played well in the playoffs overall. He is impacted by the team dynamics for fantasy but that is slowly changing. They are Rice 1st, Flacco 2nd. But in Dallas it is Romo 1st, running 2nd and than not as good of a D. Flacco showed what he could do when they let him loose like they did vs Pittsburgh last year. He led them to 2 big victories in the biggest games before the playoffs. Romo puts up numbers but when the pressure is on he fades. 2nd half of the season has been dismal throughout his career. Easy choice for me and in dynasty league, I want Flacco. Would I draft Flacco ahead of Romo. Nope but I would just drop down and get in position for him. I think he makes a QB on the rise who can put up #1 numbers. Reminds me of Rivers a few years ago. He dropped in drafts also and same things were said.

I'm not a Flacco fan by any means, but I've never understood the Romo obsession.
He did but Lee Evans dropped it.

Put Flacco in Romo's offense and Romo in Flacco's offense and whaddya got?

I think Flacco comes out way ahead.

He did but Lee Evans dropped it.
This. Beautiful ball thrown right where it needed to be. IIRC Romo had a few years on the bench. Flacco started from day 1 when Troy Smith got sick in camp or preseason. He's still younger in terms of the nfl experience and is just now getting to the meat of his career.

Room is a better producer than Flacco, but I'm not convinced that the book is written yet on what kind of QB joe can become.

It's impossible to compare the QBs without adjusting for the teams each played for. If Flacco played his whole career for the Cowboys, I think Dallas would have had fewer wins and still would not have won anything (overall, would be worse with Flacco). If Romo had spent his career in Baltimore, IMO, the Ravens would have had more wins and advanced further than they did with Flacco.

I think that Romo's probably a better player at this point, but also think that Joe Flacco is pretty under-rated. His stats have been held down by the system he plays in and the (relative to Dallas) lack of top shelf receiving talent in Baltimore. Flacco's just now about to enter his prime, and I think he's a pretty solid NFL QB. He showed me a ton last year with the game winning drive vs. the Steelers and also in the playoff game vs. NE. And I'm a Ravens hating Steelers fan.

The fact that Baltimore routinely wins playoff games while Dallas disappoints at the end of the year has to mean something as well. Obviously that's nowhere near 100% due to the QBs, but at some point it has to count for something. Dallas has had a pretty talented team throughout Romo's career and accomplished zero, while Romo has been markedly less effective when it counts the most...

Romo has yet to lose a playoff game based on his performance.

Flacco has yet to win a playoff game based on his performance.

When the Ravens win it is usually in spite of Flacco and certainly not because of Flacco.

Anyone bringing up the ridiculous muffed field goal attempt is too stupid to understand that first off, Romo had no business out there as the starting QB and secondly, he drove them down the field to set up said field goal. The defense gave up a game winning drive on the next series. Romo doesnt play defense.

Romo has yet to lose a playoff game based on his performance.
He certainly didn't do much to help them win the Giants game after the '07 season or the Vikings game after the '09 season. Admittedly based just on looking at the stats as I'm not a Cowboys' fan and don't remember particularly much about either of those games.I agree that the fumble on the FG hold is irrelevant and could have happened to anyone.

I don't know that I'd put him as a lock top 5 or even top 7 QB in the NFL though. I have all these guys ahead of him:Brady,Rivers, Eli, Ben, Peyton, Brees, and Rodgers.I'd also estimate that Newton and Stafford could justifiably be taken over Romo. They don't have the career stats to back it up ... yet, however they've both shown in short timeframes that they can be elite QB's. I'm comfortable putting Romo in the top 10 of NFL QB's but he might be the last one admitted to the party.I might bump up Romo very slightly if we're talking fantasy.
I understand the two Super Bowls argument for Eli and Big Ben, but 100% of the time I'm taking Romo for my team instead of both of them and it's not even close. Obviously I'm basing that decision only on talent. I won't get into the whole they had a great defense argument, but I believe a lot of people will open their eyes to how rare a talent Romo is if the Cowboys D plays up to it's potential this year. My rankings would probably be like this:1. Rodgers----------2. Brees3. Brady4. Manning (due to injury)----------5. Romo6. Stafford 7. Rivers (Had to drop him 2 spots after last year)8T. Big Ben8T. Eli

There's a great deal of Cowboy bias in here. In no way is he better than Ben or Eli .........or Rivers. Typical Cowgirl bull####.

There's a great deal of Cowboy bias in here. In no way is he better than Ben or Eli .........or Rivers. Typical Cowgirl bull####.
Thats just one silly post. I hate the Cowboys but can be objective enough to say that Romo is clearly better than Flacco. Flacco at best is an average NFL QB.

Thats just one silly post. I hate the Cowboys but can be objective enough to say that Romo is clearly better than Flacco. Flacco at best is an average NFL QB.
Where did I mention Flacco? Reading comprehension down?

Where did I mention Flacco? Reading comprehension down?

:goodposting:LMAO at Tony Romo even being in the same league as Ben and Eli.
Or you two can start watching the actual games instead of relying on the media to mold your perception of a player. There is absolutely nothing on film that puts Romo so DRASTICALLY below these guys, not to the point where you think it's bull#### or laughable. But you wouldn't know that just from watching your home team and maybe a couple of other games on Sunday. Check out those Short Cuts on Sunday Ticket and stop relying on SportsCenter.

Maybe watch a playoff game or two?

Although I understand why you wouldn't want to if you are a Cowboys fan. Actually, in Dallas you guys might not even know that they play football after week 17.

Users who are viewing this thread