What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MJD to Holdout (2 Viewers)

MJD better get to camp soon as Rashad Jennings is absolutely tearing it up right now and with every practice it looks more and more like the Jaguars front office knows exactly what they are doing by letting MJD pout and not overpaying for a RB who might have 3-4 more years in him. From all accounts down here in Jacksonville Rashad Jennings is not only the best RB in camp but the best player on the team right now.

MJD better get to camp soon as Rashad Jennings is absolutely tearing it up right now and with every practice it looks more and more like the Jaguars front office knows exactly what they are doing by letting MJD pout and not overpaying for a RB who might have 3-4 more years in him. From all accounts down here in Jacksonville Rashad Jennings is not only the best RB in camp but the best player on the team right now.
And the minute MJD walks through the door that changes.

And the minute MJD walks through the door that changes.
I wouldnt be so quick to say that. Jennings missed all of last year with an injury but go back to the end of the 2010 season and check out his stats especially from week 12 on. MJD got beat to heck last year with Jennings being out and even if he does come back will have a bad attitude. The Jaguars have a pretty good defense and Jennings was shredding the 1st team D in the scrimmage the other night both on the ground and catching the ball.

This is why I have no problem with MJD holding out.http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000046696/article/rookie-report-nine-nuggets-from-around-the-nfl4. The Minnesota Vikings waived/injured fourth-round receiver Greg Childs after his devastating injury over the weekend. We'd be absolutely stunned if anyone claimed him because the severity of his injury. Childs should end up on injured reserve.
I have no idea what your point is.
My point is that management doesn't honor their contracts either.

This is why I have no problem with MJD holding out.http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000046696/article/rookie-report-nine-nuggets-from-around-the-nfl4. The Minnesota Vikings waived/injured fourth-round receiver Greg Childs after his devastating injury over the weekend. We'd be absolutely stunned if anyone claimed him because the severity of his injury. Childs should end up on injured reserve.
When the players pay a signing bonus to the management, I will expect management to hush up and honor the contract.

When the players pay a signing bonus to the management, I will expect management to hush up and honor the contract.
Sorry, I think you missed my point. I was responding earlier in this thread to people bashing MJD for not honoring his contract. I'm simply illustrating that this is the way things work in the NFL. Teams cut players with no regard to the years left on their contracts once they are injured and players hold out for more money without regard to how many years are left on their contracts. Neither side is right or wrong. It's just the way business is done in the NFL. If the Jaguars feel MJD is worth a new contract, they will pay him. If they don't, they won't.

This is something I'm wondering about. What if MJD holds out indefinitely? What if he does sign and comes back and gets injured? What would Jennings do and be worth as the unquestioned #1 on this team? Where would Jennings be drafted if MJD wasn't in the picture?

This is something I'm wondering about. What if MJD holds out indefinitely? What if he does sign and comes back and gets injured? What would Jennings do and be worth as the unquestioned #1 on this team? Where would Jennings be drafted if MJD wasn't in the picture?
This isn't a situation similar to Houston where they have a tremendous offensive line and solid offense all together. You can plug Curtis Enis into that offense and he'll be top 5. MJD scores the amount of points he does mainly due to talent. Expecting Jennings to come in and produce at the same level is expecting too much IMHO. However, I will say I haven't seen a lot of Jennings. I am seeing a lot of talk on this board about how well he is performing in camp but haven't seen much in the form of actual quotes supporting this.

How's that?

How's that?
I made my entire point in one of my last posts. Not sure what else I can say to clarify my stance. I'm guessing you don't agree and that's fine.

It's amazing how often...when a starter is holding out....word out of camp is that the primary backup is setting the world on fire. And the similarly amazing how when the starter comes back....nothing changes....and the starter remains the starter.

there isn't a single successful franchise where the inmates run the asylum.

people don't show up for mjd, they show up for the jacksonville jags and wins.

they lost with him, and they can just as well lose without him.
I hope he never plays again. Sit in your recliner and rot away. Ten years from now, people will barely remember he was in the league. I love how he complains about his salary for this year ($4.5M) being too low, but he conveniently forgets to factor in the $9M signing bonus he was already paid when he signed his deal three years ago.Good luck in your new career, guy.

:sleep:
You don't think any of the other higher paid guys got signing bonuses, too?
Fantastic. Does that make my statement untrue?
Does it make it untrue? Probably not. Is it untrue? I'm pretty sure it is. I don't think Maurice Drew or his agent have forgotten to factor in the signing bonus.But, more to the point, it's not much of a point. All players get signing bonuses. And, they are paid upfront. What is your point?

Do you somehow think the $9M signing bonus is some sort of trump card that makes it so he's not underpaid?
Three years into a five year deal, most players are "underpaid".

I'm failing to see the logical link here. The $4M base salary is a joke. How does that equate in your mind to him forgetting the "fat" signing bonus he received?I don't have the numbers in front of me and I'm not going to calculate them, but, taking into consideration signing bonuses + salary, he IS underpaid keeping in mind his production compared to his peers. For some reason, you are simply assuming that Drew "forgot" the signing bonus he received, which (even if he did) somehow magically makes him not underpaid compared to his peers. It doesn't.
Interesting approach. Rather than gather facts to support your argument - facts that are readily available - just resort to assertions. Then again, that seems to be a common approach in this thread.
Why would I gather additional facts to the ones that were already gathered? My assertions are based on fact. Or, have you not been following the thread?

What does a signing bonus have to do with honoring a contract?

How's that?
Depends on what someone means by "honor."They cut players with years left on their contracts, and don't have to pay the rest of the contract.

there isn't a single successful franchise where the inmates run the asylum.

people don't show up for mjd, they show up for the jacksonville jags and wins.

they lost with him, and they can just as well lose without him.
I hope he never plays again. Sit in your recliner and rot away. Ten years from now, people will barely remember he was in the league. I love how he complains about his salary for this year ($4.5M) being too low, but he conveniently forgets to factor in the $9M signing bonus he was already paid when he signed his deal three years ago.Good luck in your new career, guy.

:sleep:
You don't think any of the other higher paid guys got signing bonuses, too?
Fantastic. Does that make my statement untrue?
Does it make it untrue? Probably not. Is it untrue? I'm pretty sure it is. I don't think Maurice Drew or his agent have forgotten to factor in the signing bonus.But, more to the point, it's not much of a point. All players get signing bonuses. And, they are paid upfront. What is your point?

Do you somehow think the $9M signing bonus is some sort of trump card that makes it so he's not underpaid?
Right. And, if they are good enough at the game of football and have a good enough agent, then they will hold out to get a new contract so that they are no longer "underpaid."

They cut players with years left on their contracts, and don't have to pay the rest of the contract.
They make up for that with the signing bonus. :hophead:
It's possible to "make up" for not honoring a contract? Interesting perspective.Players make up for not honoring a contract by playing at a high level and making sure fans show up, buy products and watch games. When fans show up to a stadium to watch a management drink scotch in their luxury suites, then I will expect players to hush up and honor the contract...

How's that?
I made my entire point in one of my last posts. Not sure what else I can say to clarify my stance. I'm guessing youyouyou don't agree and that's fine.
I'm asking how it is they didn't honor his contract.In your imagination you really think all these injured guy should be on the 53?Because that sounds like you aren't too familiar with how the world works.

Right. And, if they are good enough at the game of football and have a good enough agent, then they will hold out to get a new contract so that they are no longer "underpaid."
You missed my point. He was overpaid when he signed his deal. He was coming of a 900 yard season or some such number. For one year in a vacuum, he is underpaid. Over the course of his deal, not at all. And his agent won't matter. He doesn't have any leverage. Has two years left on his deal. Cash it in, MJD.

You missed my point. He was overpaid when he signed his deal. He was coming of a 900 yard season or some such number. For one year in a vacuum, he is underpaid. Over the course of his deal, not at all. And his agent won't matter. He doesn't have any leverage. Has two years left on his deal. Cash it in, MJD.
He doesn't have any leverage? Sure he does. His leverage is that the Jaguars want him on the field playing. His leverage is that the fans want him on the field playing. His leverage is that he's a popular player who has been extremely durable. You may not think his leverage is that strong, but he certainly has at least some leverage.This isn't one year in a vacuum. This is the present, current year. The circumstances surrounding his deal have changed. The going market for RBs has improved and his contract is now not the industry standard for elite RBs. Over the course of his deal, he is underpaid. Look at the total money he's getting vs. his peers.

How's that?
I made my entire point in one of my last posts. Not sure what else I can say to clarify my stance. I'm guessing youyouyou don't agree and that's fine.
I'm asking how it is they didn't honor his contract.In your imagination you really think all these injured guy should be on the 53?Because that sounds like you aren't too familiar with how the world works.
OK ... I'll paste my previous statement so you don't have to look for it."Sorry, I think you missed my point. I was responding earlier in this thread to people bashing MJD for not honoring his contract. I'm simply illustrating that this is the way things work in the NFL. Teams cut players with no regard to the years left on their contracts once they are injured and players hold out for more money without regard to how many years are left on their contracts. Neither side is right or wrong. It's just the way business is done in the NFL. If the Jaguars feel MJD is worth a new contract, they will pay him. If they don't, they won't"

Good "it" in here.....bunch of morons debating crap for 5 pages with absolutely no news.

Thanks for wasting my time, idiots.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports, Jaguars owner Shad Kahn had a private meeting that last several hours with holdout Maurice Jones-Drew before training camp began.

A veteran of labor standoffs, Kahn's resolve has not softened. "Our goals for the season don't change ... I don't control it. It's his choice," Kahn insists. "Believe me, on a zero-to-10 level of stress, this doesn't even move the needle." Jones-Drew has already racked up $600,000 in fines

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

when does mojoke drew announce his retirement in a pouty press conference?

Finally some good news....started this thread a while ago hoping to hear anything positive

According to Pete Prisco of CBS Sports, the feeling inside the Jaguars locker room is that holdout Maurice Jones-Drew "shows up soon."

Prisco is based out of Jacksonville, so he's more qualified than most national voices for a litmus test on the locker room. While Priso does not seem to be reporting here, it's conceivable that Jones-Drew would have confided in teammates about his plans. Perhaps it has finally sunk in that the front office will not budge on Jones-Drews' contract.

Finally some good news....started this thread a while ago hoping to hear anything positiveAccording to Pete Prisco of CBS Sports, the feeling inside the Jaguars locker room is that holdout Maurice Jones-Drew "shows up soon."Prisco is based out of Jacksonville, so he's more qualified than most national voices for a litmus test on the locker room. While Priso does not seem to be reporting here, it's conceivable that Jones-Drew would have confided in teammates about his plans. Perhaps it has finally sunk in that the front office will not budge on Jones-Drews' contract.
At the very least, the Jags should reward him with a nice big box of tissues when he reports.

I wonder if this has anything to do with it:

Jaguars | Owner speaks out against holdout running back

Tue, 21 Aug 2012 11:58:26 -0700

Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan is ready to move on from the holdout with his star running back, RB Maurice Jones-Drew. "The train is leaving the station. Run, get on it," Khan said Tuesday, Aug. 21.

Source: The Florida Times-Union - Gene Frenette

I wonder if this has anything to do with it:Jaguars | Owner speaks out against holdout running back Tue, 21 Aug 2012 11:58:26 -0700 Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan is ready to move on from the holdout with his star running back, RB Maurice Jones-Drew. "The train is leaving the station. Run, get on it," Khan said Tuesday, Aug. 21. Source: The Florida Times-Union - Gene Frenette
If I were MJD, I'd hold out, not waste anymore mileage with one of the worst teams in the NFL, and demand a trade to a better team.

I wonder if this has anything to do with it:Jaguars | Owner speaks out against holdout running back Tue, 21 Aug 2012 11:58:26 -0700 Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan is ready to move on from the holdout with his star running back, RB Maurice Jones-Drew. "The train is leaving the station. Run, get on it," Khan said Tuesday, Aug. 21. Source: The Florida Times-Union - Gene Frenette
If I were MJD, I'd hold out, not waste anymore mileage with one of the worst teams in the NFL, and demand a trade to a better team.
But then again if I were the Jags, I'd let MJD hold out. He can then sit on his couch and waste the last few years of his prime while I don't trade him, nor pay him. As long as Jennings produces, there's far more pressure on MJD at this point to end this than there is on the Jags.

Works in the NBA. Seldom works in the NFL unless you're a QB and even then.

The idea that NFL contracts are not guaranteed is somewhat flawed. They used to call it a signing bonus, now it's just referred to as guaranteed money, either way the team is bound to paying out whether the player is on the team or not. Contracts are structured differently in other sports, but it's all basically the same.

How many examples are there of players holding out until the season starts and not under performing?

'LargeMouthBass said:
We'll see how Gabbert plays this year but if he's the same QB as last year. It's gonna be a long season for the Jags without MJD.
They had MJD last year. Didn't really help them in the win column.

How many examples are there of players holding out until the season starts and not under performing?
Relatively few, when compared to those that underperform.However, If you look at second half production vs. first half production you'll find that many eventually get on track.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3596/maurice-jones-drew

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Maurice Jones-Drew is now "open to being traded" in light of owner Shad Khan's recent suggestion that the "train is leaving the station."

"Run, get on it," Khan added as advice for Jones-Drew. If the star tailback was thinking about returning soon, as teammates reportedly believed, Khan's comments had the opposite effect. Jones-Drew is once again entrenched. Per Schefter, the holdout "shows no signs of letting up and is fully expected to extend into the regular season." If the Jags accept Jones-Drew's trade invitation, his former coordinator Dirk Koetter's team in Atlanta is one to watch. GM Thomas Dimitroff isn't afraid to make bold moves, and Michael Turner appears to be running with a fork sticking out of his back. Aug 21 - 6:20 PM

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3596/maurice-jones-drew

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Maurice Jones-Drew is now "open to being traded" in light of owner Shad Khan's recent suggestion that the "train is leaving the station."

"Run, get on it," Khan added as advice for Jones-Drew. If the star tailback was thinking about returning soon, as teammates reportedly believed, Khan's comments had the opposite effect. Jones-Drew is once again entrenched. Per Schefter, the holdout "shows no signs of letting up and is fully expected to extend into the regular season." If the Jags accept Jones-Drew's trade invitation, his former coordinator Dirk Koetter's team in Atlanta is one to watch. GM Thomas Dimitroff isn't afraid to make bold moves, and Michael Turner appears to be running with a fork sticking out of his back. Aug 21 - 6:20 PM

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/238036145718579200

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/238036145718579200

possible trade partners...

jets?

steelers?

lions?

falcons?

bengals?

ETA: PACKERS!!! :excited: :excited:

MJD on the Lions would be pretty amazing.

I have always thought MJD was a bit of a crybaby after listening to his Sirius show. He comes across a bit insecure and weird.

Users who are viewing this thread