What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MJD to Holdout (2 Viewers)

'Kool-Aid Larry said:
there isn't a single successful franchise where the inmates run the asylum.people don't show up for mjd, they show up for the jacksonville jags and wins.they lost with him, and they can just as well lose without him.
I hope he never plays again. Sit in your recliner and rot away. Ten years from now, people will barely remember he was in the league. I love how he complains about his salary for this year ($4.5M) being too low, but he conveniently forgets to factor in the $9M signing bonus he was already paid when he signed his deal three years ago.Good luck in your new career, guy. :sleep:

'Kool-Aid Larry said:
there isn't a single successful franchise where the inmates run the asylum.

people don't show up for mjd, they show up for the jacksonville jags and wins.

they lost with him, and they can just as well lose without him.
I hope he never plays again. Sit in your recliner and rot away. Ten years from now, people will barely remember he was in the league. I love how he complains about his salary for this year ($4.5M) being too low, but he conveniently forgets to factor in the $9M signing bonus he was already paid when he signed his deal three years ago.Good luck in your new career, guy.

:sleep:
No, apparently he is going to first break Fred Taylors rushing total, then go on towards Emmits.

'massraider said:
'Run It Up said:
'karmarooster said:
I don't understand "moralizing" about players holding out, not playing, angling for a new contract or whatever with an expression that usually goes something like "he already SIGNED a contract! if he didn't like it he shouldn't have signed/shouldn't be holding out for more $$$ that greedy *******!" etc. etc.Contracts are often breached, and there's nothing wrong with doing it. You just settle up as the contract provides. There are TONS of contract tools that deal with this, and the concept of efficient breach says that when it makes sense, you don't perform. Or you notify the other party by anticipatory repudiation that you will not perform. Or you pay the agreed on damages in the event of the breach. And you get sued for damages, or for performance or other equitable remedy.They had these poor people on 60 minutes with underwater housing loans who refused to walk away from the contracts because of something like "my daddy taught me to stand by my word, and I gave the bank my word I would pay for this house, so that's what I'm gunna do." Contracts are not holy.
Pretty much this, when the players only bargaining chip is his production hes gonna have to take a hit at the beginning of his career just to get paid. If he outperforms his initial contract he should be allowed to pursue a contract they feel is more appropriate.
He is not on his initial contract. He DID pursue a more appropriate contract, and he received one. That is the contract he is on now.
This is true, couldnt tell you what their expectations were obviously since I wasnt in the room with them, but im sure they were very pleased to be underpaying for 3 years of probowl production, I dont think he deserves a CJ2K contract, but he certainly deserves more than 4m for this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
but he certainly deserves more than 4m for this year.
I don't know what it is about this that's so challenging for you idiots, but he deserves to make exactly that because he took a front loaded multiyear deal that pays that amount in 2012.I'm pretty sure he could've taken the 9m signing bonus in 2012 instead of 2009, off an 800 yard season, if he had wanted.maybe he should've just signed a one year deal.

I don't know what it is about this that's so challenging for you idiots, but he deserves to make exactly that because he took a front loaded multiyear deal that pays that amount in 2012.I'm pretty sure he could've taken the 9m signing bonus in 2012 instead of 2009, off an 800 yard season, if he had wanted.maybe he should've just signed a one year deal.
K, jackass.We understand your logic. We disagree. Having different opinions doesnt mean you have to believe what we believe or youre wrong.The opposite isnt complicated at all, he is an elite RB, he took a front loaded contract, he outperformed his front loaded contract, he hasnt slowed down at all. He is playing better than RBs getting paid twice as much or more than him. There are obvious concerns about his age and wear. He deserves more money.

K, jackass.We understand your logic. We disagree. Having different opinions doesnt mean you have to believe what we believe or youre wrong.The opposite isnt complicated at all, he is an elite RB, he took a front loaded contract, he outperformed his front loaded contract, he hasnt slowed down at all. He is playing better than RBs getting paid twice as much or more than him. There are obvious concerns about his age and wear. He deserves more money.
No one is making twice as much money. His contract on averge is two mill less than forte

No one is making twice as much money. His contract on averge is two mill less than forte
Im not talking about the sum of their collective contracts, even if I were CJ2K is close and ADP is more than double.Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Deangello Williams and I think maybe Sjax are all making either double or close to that for this year.Im not saying MJD deserves that kind of money im just saying I think he should be getting more than what he is for this season.(Mjd had a better year than all 4 of them last year)

He is at 4 mil a year almost 6 if you spread the bonus compared to AP at 14, DMC at 10, Johnson and Foster at 9So yes someone is making twice as much and has the right to sit out. He only has another year or two left so he needs to cash in before he isnt making millions. Say what you want but just because he took a front loaded contract doesn't mean there couldn't be renegotiation. Hence why teams don't like front loading they like back loading a contract. All a front loaded contract is doing is appeasing a player by saying look we have faith in you and thanks for what you have done so far.In the end the NFL player that is the superstar has the upper hand here the same as if you are the top salesman or lawyer at your firm.http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/average/running-back/Back on topic though, wheredo we see falling to for ADP that makes sense? Will he make it back to camp? Will he be in shape? Will he end up being CJ2K?

In the end the NFL player that is the superstar has the upper hand here
No he doesn't. Emmitt had the upper hand in '93 when it was clear after starting 0-2 that they needed him to repeat.What is Jones-Drew's leverage? Possibly helping them go 4-12 instead of 3-13?

The opposite isnt complicated at all, he is an elite RB, he took a front loaded contract, he outperformed his front loaded contract, he hasnt slowed down at all. He is playing better than RBs getting paid twice as much or more than him. There are obvious concerns about his age and wear. He deserves more money.
He had 40+ more carries than any other RB, and he avg less yards per carry than a dozen RB, 1600 yards is super low for a rushing leader, and EVERYONE including MJD agrees he lost a step last year.Face it, you are wrong. I know it, the Jags fans know it, the GM knows it and the owner knows it.

Face it, you are wrong. I know it, the Jags fans know it, the GM knows it and the owner knows it.
Nothing to be right or wrong about, its my and others opinions.I understand both sides of the argument here, thats all I expect from people that disagree.Hes gonna play this year with or without a new contract, it doesnt mean I dont think he deserves a new one.

He makes bank being on stupid FF shows, he picked himself #1 on a FF celebrity show. No way he misses week one.

Problem is, Rashad Jennings is looking awesome, and he is going to make MJD just another RB.

MJD is flexing his muscles, skipping camp. He'll show up around weekd 2 or 3 of the Pre season IMO.

No he doesn't. Emmitt had the upper hand in '93 when it was clear after starting 0-2 that they needed him to repeat.What is Jones-Drew's leverage? Possibly helping them go 4-12 instead of 3-13?
I agree. He has zero leverage. If anything, the Jags may be better off letting him sit at home and lock up the #1 pick. With him or without him, they don't win more than 5 games this year. If they were smart they would simply trade him for picks. A RB starting the downside of his career does nothing to help a rebuilding project.With that said, I hate the argument that he should honor his contract. There is absolutely no loyalty in the NFL shown by players or management. If teams can cut players whenever they feel like it, I have no problem with players holding out every single freaking season if they feel like it.

Face it, you are wrong. I know it, the Jags fans know it, the GM knows it and the owner knows it.
Nothing to be right or wrong about, its my and others opinions.I understand both sides of the argument here, thats all I expect from people that disagree.

Hes gonna play this year with or without a new contract, it doesnt mean I dont think he deserves a new one.
some people are of the opinion that the holocaust never happened.

His leverage is to sit out the whole year and then go into next year actually in a better place. Why do I say that?1. He is only 27 so he could have a few years left2. By taking a year off he would prolong his career3. Next year would be a contract year then so he could be 1 and done in Jax instead of 2 years4. Off all the teams who need a star it's the Jags, there tickets would only go down I would imaginehttp://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/blog/field_and_street/2011/08/jaguars-free-tix-rams-game.html

Nothing to be right or wrong about, its my and others opinions.I understand both sides of the argument here, thats all I expect from people that disagree.

Hes gonna play this year with or without a new contract, it doesnt mean I dont think he deserves a new one.
Is that the Kool-Aid you're drinking Larry?

His leverage is to sit out the whole year and then go into next year actually in a better place. Why do I say that?1. He is only 27 so he could have a few years left2. By taking a year off he would prolong his career3. Next year would be a contract year then so he could be 1 and done in Jax instead of 2 years4. Off all the teams who need a star it's the Jags, there tickets would only go down I would imaginehttp://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/blog/field_and_street/2011/08/jaguars-free-tix-rams-game.html
Just to play devil's advocate:1. 27 is when most RB's start their decline. There is a very good chance that he just had the best season he's going to have the rest of his career. And I'm not even counting the fact that he was just battling knee trouble.2. Taking a year off may not necessarily gain him a season. I'm sure there will be a slow start and injuries due to certainly being out of game shape and rustiness.3. Is this true? Are there certain stipulations built into contracts that say if a player holds out a season, it doesn't count as a season played under contract?4. This is really his only leverage but if another player steps up and puts up some decent numbers, it's amazing how fast the fans forget.

With him or without him, they don't win more than 5 games this year.
Did you forget which division they play in?Indy: Rookie QB on a TERRIBLE teamTenn: Hasselbreak and who? Locker? :lmao: Houston? Liz Frank anyone?

His leverage is to sit out the whole year and then go into next year actually in a better place. Why do I say that?1. He is only 27 so he could have a few years left

2. By taking a year off he would prolong his career

3. Next year would be a contract year then so he could be 1 and done in Jax instead of 2 years

4. Off all the teams who need a star it's the Jags, there tickets would only go down I would imagine

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/blog/field_and_street/2011/08/jaguars-free-tix-rams-game.html
Just to play devil's advocate:1. 27 is when most RB's start their decline. There is a very good chance that he just had the best season he's going to have the rest of his career. And I'm not even counting the fact that he was just battling knee trouble.

2. Taking a year off may not necessarily gain him a season. I'm sure there will be a slow start and injuries due to certainly being out of game shape and rustiness.

3. Is this true? Are there certain stipulations built into contracts that say if a player holds out a season, it doesn't count as a season played under contract?

4. This is really his only leverage but if another player steps up and puts up some decent numbers, it's amazing how fast the fans forget.
According to pro-football-reference, ages 27-28 are the ages of peak performance for RB's.

His leverage is to sit out the whole year and then go into next year actually in a better place. Why do I say that?1. He is only 27 so he could have a few years left

2. By taking a year off he would prolong his career

3. Next year would be a contract year then so he could be 1 and done in Jax instead of 2 years

4. Off all the teams who need a star it's the Jags, there tickets would only go down I would imagine

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/blog/field_and_street/2011/08/jaguars-free-tix-rams-game.html
Maybe he should take ten years off

Did you forget which division they play in?Indy: Rookie QB on a TERRIBLE teamTenn: Hasselbreak and who? Locker? :lmao: Houston? Liz Frank anyone?
Which division were they in last year?

Is the holocaust a subjective event?

He makes bank being on stupid FF shows, he picked himself #1 on a FF celebrity show. No way he misses week one.

Problem is, Rashad Jennings is looking awesome, and he is going to make MJD just another RB.

MJD is flexing his muscles, skipping camp. He'll show up around weekd 2 or 3 of the Pre season IMO.
I was waiting to see a report about how Jennings has done so far.

A question for the board and maybe this needs it's own thread but : Where do you have Jennings rated right now with the advent of MJD not in camp and even if he shows up last minute, is Jennings still rising and to where?

Which division were they in last year?
Indy worse, houston worse, tenn the same. Jax has improved on both sides of the ball.

you're saying indy and houston are currently worse than last year?also, aren't division games only 6 out of 16 games?
Indy is looking at 1-15, Houston the perennial queen never to amount to anything, did not get better and the QB is going to be an issue again this year.

Just to play devil's advocate:1. 27 is when most RB's start their decline. There is a very good chance that he just had the best season he's going to have the rest of his career. And I'm not even counting the fact that he was just battling knee trouble.2. Taking a year off may not necessarily gain him a season. I'm sure there will be a slow start and injuries due to certainly being out of game shape and rustiness.3. Is this true? Are there certain stipulations built into contracts that say if a player holds out a season, it doesn't count as a season played under contract?4. This is really his only leverage but if another player steps up and puts up some decent numbers, it's amazing how fast the fans forget.
1. Like someone else said 27-28 is the peak but with extra rest he would be really fresh going into another 2-3 years in the league2. Not playing this season would likely save him any injuries and the wear on the body allowing him to instead of having 3 years and done now be 1 year off and 3 years done3. I believe as long as he is rostered which they have to, i believe that's why he is 'fined' is so he is not getting paid4. Who is going to come out and put up great numbers? Gabs only hope was MJD taking the pressure off, I could actually see this setting him back with passing sell outs by the D

I hope he never plays again. Sit in your recliner and rot away. Ten years from now, people will barely remember he was in the league. I love how he complains about his salary for this year ($4.5M) being too low, but he conveniently forgets to factor in the $9M signing bonus he was already paid when he signed his deal three years ago.Good luck in your new career, guy.

You don't think any of the other higher paid guys got signing bonuses, too?

Fantastic. Does that make my statement untrue?

1. Like someone else said 27-28 is the peak but with extra rest he would be really fresh going into another 2-3 years in the league2. Not playing this season would likely save him any injuries and the wear on the body allowing him to instead of having 3 years and done now be 1 year off and 3 years done3. I believe as long as he is rostered which they have to, i believe that's why he is 'fined' is so he is not getting paid4. Who is going to come out and put up great numbers? Gabs only hope was MJD taking the pressure off, I could actually see this setting him back with passing sell outs by the D
Players that don't show up by Week 10 do not accrue a year of service. Unless that changed in the new CBA.

Does it make it untrue? Probably not. Is it untrue? I'm pretty sure it is. I don't think Maurice Drew or his agent have forgotten to factor in the signing bonus.But, more to the point, it's not much of a point. All players get signing bonuses. And, they are paid upfront. What is your point?

Do you somehow think the $9M signing bonus is some sort of trump card that makes it so he's not underpaid?

Does it make it untrue? Probably not. Is it untrue? I'm pretty sure it is. I don't think Maurice Drew or his agent have forgotten to factor in the signing bonus.But, more to the point, it's not much of a point. All players get signing bonuses. And, they are paid upfront. What is your point?

Do you somehow think the $9M signing bonus is some sort of trump card that makes it so he's not underpaid?
My point is he's not being truthful or accurate.I HEARD Jones-Drew specifically mention on Sirius how a $4M salary is "a joke".

Yes, he conveniently forgot the fat signing bonus he received. I guess it never happened.

So, MJD renegotiated his rookie contract and got paid very good money 3 years ago. he has two years left and wants to renegotiate again. Too bad...like someone said before, they can lose with him or without him. He's taken a beating and I don't think the Jags would be wise to give him a boat load of money now when he is likely to be done in a year or two with the pounding his knees have taken.

Even though both sides are just repeating the same thing over and over again, its still better than half the page one discussions.

My point is he's not being truthful or accurate.I HEARD Jones-Drew specifically mention on Sirius how a $4M salary is "a joke".

Yes, he conveniently forgot the fat signing bonus he received. I guess it never happened.
I'm failing to see the logical link here. The $4M base salary is a joke. How does that equate in your mind to him forgetting the "fat" signing bonus he received?I don't have the numbers in front of me and I'm not going to calculate them, but, taking into consideration signing bonuses + salary, he IS underpaid keeping in mind his production compared to his peers.

For some reason, you are simply assuming that Drew "forgot" the signing bonus he received, which (even if he did) somehow magically makes him not underpaid compared to his peers. It doesn't.

He is at 4 mil a year almost 6 if you spread the bonus compared to AP at 14, DMC at 10, Johnson and Foster at 9So yes someone is making twice as much and has the right to sit out. He only has another year or two left so he needs to cash in before he isnt making millions. Say what you want but just because he took a front loaded contract doesn't mean there couldn't be renegotiation. Hence why teams don't like front loading they like back loading a contract. All a front loaded contract is doing is appeasing a player by saying look we have faith in you and thanks for what you have done so far.In the end the NFL player that is the superstar has the upper hand here the same as if you are the top salesman or lawyer at your firm.http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/average/running-back/Back on topic though, wheredo we see falling to for ADP that makes sense? Will he make it back to camp? Will he be in shape? Will he end up being CJ2K?
MJD is upset about his $4.4MM base salary. So compare that to other players base salaries for this year. From your link:1. Chris Johnson $8,000,0002. Adrian Peterson $8,000,0003. Steven Jackson $7,000,0004. Darren McFadden $5,650,0005. DeAngelo Williams $5,250,0006. Michael Turner $5,000,0007. Arian Foster $5,000,0008. Reggie Bush $4,500,0009. Maurice Jones-Drew $4,450,000

Elite players have to hold out to receive proper compensation relative to the market when they outperform their contract. It always seems like they have no leverage, but in the end the team generally caves (see CJ last year, VJax must not have been considered elite by SD). IMO the Jags will be coming to LA sooner rather than later, so any PR hit is a bad one no matter who has the more defensible position.

IMO the Jags will be coming to LA sooner rather than later
Based on what exactly? This is 2012, not 2008.You know who agreed today? Blackmon. You know what he is going to to sign? The contract thats been on the table for weeks.MJD will either report, or get fined. There will be no new contract.The New HC wants a new direction, he can do that with or without MJD.

I'm failing to see the logical link here. The $4M base salary is a joke. How does that equate in your mind to him forgetting the "fat" signing bonus he received?I don't have the numbers in front of me and I'm not going to calculate them, but, taking into consideration signing bonuses + salary, he IS underpaid keeping in mind his production compared to his peers. For some reason, you are simply assuming that Drew "forgot" the signing bonus he received, which (even if he did) somehow magically makes him not underpaid compared to his peers. It doesn't.
Interesting approach. Rather than gather facts to support your argument - facts that are readily available - just resort to assertions. Then again, that seems to be a common approach in this thread.

This is why I have no problem with MJD holding out.http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000046696/article/rookie-report-nine-nuggets-from-around-the-nfl4. The Minnesota Vikings waived/injured fourth-round receiver Greg Childs after his devastating injury over the weekend. We'd be absolutely stunned if anyone claimed him because the severity of his injury. Childs should end up on injured reserve.
I have no idea what your point is.

This is why I have no problem with MJD holding out.http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000046696/article/rookie-report-nine-nuggets-from-around-the-nfl4. The Minnesota Vikings waived/injured fourth-round receiver Greg Childs after his devastating injury over the weekend. We'd be absolutely stunned if anyone claimed him because the severity of his injury. Childs should end up on injured reserve.
I have no idea what your point is.
hes saying that mjd could of gotten injured in preseason because their situations were alike, like how childs had torn his tendon in college and mjd...wait

Users who are viewing this thread