What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fjax MRI results (1 Viewer)

To be clear, the torn acl stuff in link above is for WR, not Fjax, but inconclusive isn't comforting either...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update. But, I am not sure if the 4 week timetable is coming from Bill's Doctors or if it is speculation by La Canfora. Let's see what the official word is from the team. If 4 weeks is a hard time table, then why re-evaluate after 7-10 days.

Too many beat writers and media outlets trying to get the jump on stories. Only leads to reckless reporting and wild speculation.

Not blaming OP for post, just making a point.

Yea...can't recall seeing a lot of "inconclusive" on MRI results in past...I would def agree with writers sentiments of at least a few week time table.

Thanks for the update. But, I am not sure if the 4 week timetable is coming from Bill's Doctors or if it is speculation by La Canfora. Let's see what the official word is from the team. If 4 weeks is a hard time table, then why re-evaluate after 7-10 days.Too many beat writers and media outlets trying to get the jump on stories. Only leads to reckless reporting and wild speculation. Not blaming OP for post, just making a point.
Correct, I read this as writer speculation. And I also read this to mean its def NOT torn.

Thanks for the update. But, I am not sure if the 4 week timetable is coming from Bill's Doctors or if it is speculation by La Canfora. Let's see what the official word is from the team. If 4 weeks is a hard time table, then why re-evaluate after 7-10 days.Too many beat writers and media outlets trying to get the jump on stories. Only leads to reckless reporting and wild speculation. Not blaming OP for post, just making a point.
4 weeks isnt the timetable... it's the best case. I think what they're saying here is there is damage and they need to wait for inflammation to die down to get a clearer MRI image of the extent of the damage.

4 weeks isnt the timetable... it's the best case. I think what they're saying here is there is damage and they need to wait for inflammation to die down to get a clearer MRI image of the extent of the damage.
It's clear this link is gonna case more confusion then when we started :)

Correct, I read this as writer speculation. And I also read this to mean its def NOT torn.
you read it incorrectly. it's a sprain. that means it definitely IS torn. might not be torn completely, if that's what you mean. a sprain is a tear of the ligament though.

I blew my ACL 20 years ago, and while I "thought" progress had been made (and feel like I have seen that progress), I was specifically told to wait a few days before getting an MRI so that the swelling could go down.

It's clear this link is gonna case more confusion then when we started :)
I think they are trying to make it confusing, especially with annoying use of the words positive and negative in unnecessary places."The Bills were holding out hope that he'd have a positive return on the MRI Monday, but that's not the case, even if the results aren't entirely negative."

so is the inconclusive due to swelling? cant really see whats the deal?not sure if this is a positive or negative for freddy j
FROM WHAT I CAN INFER FROM THE ARTICLE:• They could see (and tell from physical tests outside the MRI machine) that there is damage (tear) to the LCL. The concern is what grade sprain it is. • Given the extent of the damage they CAN see, it's likely he misses 3-4 weeks at least• Once swelling subsides they can take another MRI to see if the damage is grade 3 (complete tear) or just a grade 2. SPECULATION: The fact that 4 weeks is even being thrown out (Combined with sufficient inflammation to obscure MRI results) leads me to believe that we're looking at a grade 2 sprain of the LCL (likely confirmed by play in the joint)... If it's a grade 3 tear IMO he misses a large portion of the season if not all.

As a Fjax owner in multiple leagues, I am operating under the thinking that he either won't play the rest of the year or won't be used that much/that effective when he does come back. In other words, time to move on and make other plans.

As a Fjax owner in multiple leagues, I am operating under the thinking that he either won't play the rest of the year or won't be used that much/that effective when he does come back. In other words, time to move on and make other plans.
Seems premature to me. Not sure you're being sarcastic or not...

No, I agree with him. You're looking at at LEAST 4 weeks and with the way Spiller is playing there is zero reason for them to rush him back. Even if he makes it back in 4-6 weeks, that's more than half the season lost and I think there's no question now that Spiller will be the lead guy (or at least split carries 50/50).

This could be worse for all when it counts (later in year). Let's say spiller continues to roll and Fjax comes back later....rbbc is NOT going to win a title for either side...

Lots of speculation, but depending on how next few weeks play put I'm going to keep my eyes open for nice looking deals for a player looking for a "patch"

No, I agree with him. You're looking at at LEAST 4 weeks and with the way Spiller is playing there is zero reason for them to rush him back. Even if he makes it back in 4-6 weeks, that's more than half the season lost and I think there's no question now that Spiller will be the lead guy (or at least split carries 50/50).
No, it seems premature to operate under the impression that he won't play the rest of the season given the MRI was inconclusive until the swelling goes down. I do agree that other plans should be made if you own Jackson, but to say he'll be out the rest of the year is premature as of right now with info available.

I am dead serious. If he comes back and produces later in the season, I'll consider it a bonus, but I won't be planning on it, and I will be adjusting all of my teams accordingly this week.

I have FJax in two leagues as a starter, so I need to act fast, IMO. I'm probably jaded since I dealt with McFadden last year and kept holding out hope, but I think that maybe trying to move Fred for whatever you can get for him (maximizing value of course) in the next week or so is the best way to go. My belief is that Spiller will be asserting himself in the time he gets to be the starter and Fred won't regain the great focus he held early in 2011 if/when he returns.

I am hoping to get some serviceable RB off the WW, and maybe trade Fred and a WR for a RBBC back that can catch passes (PPR both leagues) to at least salvage some value. But that's just me.

No, it seems premature to operate under the impression that he won't play the rest of the season given the MRI was inconclusive until the swelling goes down. I do agree that other plans should be made if you own Jackson, but to say he'll be out the rest of the year is premature as of right now with info available.
I think you're misreading what he's saying. He's "operating under the line of thinking that he'll be out" (not predicting he will be out).. ie mentally moving on. IF the news comes back where it's only grade 2 and he'll be back midseason or so then it's a pleasant surprise. I could be wrong though.

I would tend to agree. Just don't think this one ends well.

I am dead serious. If he comes back and produces later in the season, I'll consider it a bonus, but I won't be planning on it, and I will be adjusting all of my teams accordingly this week.
Im of the same mind, and it disgusts me. Was expecting Buffalo to take a huge step forward this year, never been more disappointed in a week one performance and thats not hyperbole.I still like Stevie for this year but damned if Fitzpatrick doesnt do everything in his power to prove me wrong.

I think you're misreading what he's saying. He's "operating under the line of thinking that he'll be out" (not predicting he will be out).. ie mentally moving on. IF the news comes back where it's only grade 2 and he'll be back midseason or so then it's a pleasant surprise. I could be wrong though.
Roger

Email from Joe is a bit confusing, he is claiming "better than expected" results and has two weeks in there.Confusion reigns supreme
Maybe you got a different email than me, but I don't see any "better than expected"/2 weeks in there...[QUOTE='Email from Joe]Hi Folks,Bad news out of Buffalo. ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting that running back Fred Jackson is expected to miss at least a month with his knee injury. And WR David Nelson will miss the 2012 season with his knee injury.C.J. Spiller is the guy who will carry the RB load like he did yesterday. Spiller went off for 169 yards yesterday including a 56 yard run.Steve Johnson is the Bills clear #1 WR but Donald Jones saw 7 targets yesterday (compared to 10 for Johnson) so he's a guy that could see more work although we have a hard time getting excited about him.Have a great Monday.J****************Joe BryantOwner - Footballguys.com
[/QUOTE]

on a side note this won't be the last player Laron Landry injures this year. with these filthy refs not calling anything, he's headhunting out there. He blew up Cruz in the preseason. He's probably gonna hurt himself at some point. The dude is just playing football without regard right now.

Has there been any confirmation from the Bills organization in regards to this "at least 4 weeks" statement? I am guessing FJax will be day to day at this point.

I don't hold La Canfora in very high regards anyway. I would like to know if this is his opinion or if this is what the Bill's told him.

I had a similar situation with Derrick Johnson last week. Adam Teicher of the KC Star tweeted about Johnson's injury, calling it a "significant" injury. Turned out to be something minor.

Too many people with a twitter account and too few people with accountability.

My belief is that Spiller will be asserting himself in the time he gets to be the starter and Fred won't regain the great focus he held early in 2011 if/when he returns.
This is what I am thinking. It seems clear that Spiller is the future, and he has another opportunity to show his stuff. To be sure, Jackson is a great player and it's not like the Bills are going to move on without him until the offseason, but they may want to just use him situationally going forward. How much of a true RBBC it turns out to be remains to be seen.

Has there been any confirmation from the Bills organization in regards to this "at least 4 weeks" statement? I am guessing FJax will be day to day at this point. I don't hold La Canfora in very high regards anyway. I would like to know if this is his opinion or if this is what the Bill's told him.I had a similar situation with Derrick Johnson last week. Adam Teicher of the KC Star tweeted about Johnson's injury, calling it a "significant" injury. Turned out to be something minor. Too many people with a twitter account and too few people with accountability.
They can't get a clear MRI at this point, it's pretty clear this is a significant injury.

Chan Gailey saying 3+ weeks in press conference.

Report that MRI is inconclusive is confusing. Hopefully, it's just a close call between grades of LCL strain and not evidence that there are subtle signs of a more severe injury. Gailey's comment feels reassuring in that regard.

La Canfora seems to have the only source on this injury and he's been so-so with injury specifics in the past.

FWIW, my friend is a doctor and his specialty is Orthopedics. He will be certified to perform surgery in less than a year. We were watching Jets-Bills live and his first reaction was that it was the "unhappy triad". That is a tear of the ACL, MCL, and meniscus. Of course, he might not have torn all (or any) of these, but that was his initial reaction based on his experience.

Look guys, it's not good. The leg was planted into the ground while he simultaneously got hit in the side of the knee. You saw the knee move laterally while it was planted. That is a tear (probably of a severe degree), and I would be SHOCKED if he played before week 10-12 of this season at best. It would behoove FJax owners to trade him for whatever you can get before official news comes out.

FWIW, my friend is a doctor and his specialty is Orthopedics. He will be certified to perform surgery in less than a year. We were watching Jets-Bills live and his first reaction was that it was the "unhappy triad". That is a tear of the ACL, MCL, and meniscus. Of course, he might not have torn all (or any) of these, but that was his initial reaction based on his experience.Look guys, it's not good. The leg was planted into the ground while he simultaneously got hit in the side of the knee. You saw the knee move laterally while it was planted. That is a tear (probably of a severe degree), and I would be SHOCKED if he played before week 10-12 of this season at best. It would behoove FJax owners to trade him for whatever you can get before official news comes out.
Yeah, I'm sure your friend knows more than the team doctors who ran Jackson through a bunch of tests and who have seen his MRI.Just because it "looked" a certain way on tv means absolutely nothing at this point.

FWIW, my friend is a doctor and his specialty is Orthopedics. He will be certified to perform surgery in less than a year. We were watching Jets-Bills live and his first reaction was that it was the "unhappy triad". That is a tear of the ACL, MCL, and meniscus. Of course, he might not have torn all (or any) of these, but that was his initial reaction based on his experience.Look guys, it's not good. The leg was planted into the ground while he simultaneously got hit in the side of the knee. You saw the knee move laterally while it was planted. That is a tear (probably of a severe degree), and I would be SHOCKED if he played before week 10-12 of this season at best. It would behoove FJax owners to trade him for whatever you can get before official news comes out.
Yeah, I'm sure your friend knows more than the team doctors who ran Jackson through a bunch of tests and who have seen his MRI.Just because it "looked" a certain way on tv means absolutely nothing at this point.
No need to get defensive. They can't get a clear read on the MRI because of the swelling. Trying to provide some forward thinking because you might still be able to get a player of value for him right now. I think there is a high likelihood the 3-4 week designation is way low.

I would tend to agree. Just don't think this one ends well.
same here - it sucks because I had projected Fred for a huge year, but the way he got hit and his knee bent looked pretty rough.

No need to get defensive. They can't get a clear read on the MRI because of the swelling. Trying to provide some forward thinking because you might still be able to get a player of value for him right now. I think there is a high likelihood the 3-4 week designation is way low.
Wait, if they can't get a clear read on the MRI because of swelling. How did your Dr friend have such clear insight. Must be one of those new 3D Hi Definition TV's.

While your friend may be right, keep in mind that these guys are not your average Joe Sixpacks watching on TV. While a knee is a knee, these are physically gifted specimens.

Chan Gailey saying 3+ weeks in press conference.Report that MRI is inconclusive is confusing. Hopefully, it's just a close call between grades of LCL strain and not evidence that there are subtle signs of a more severe injury. Gailey's comment feels reassuring in that regard.La Canfora seems to have the only source on this injury and he's been so-so with injury specifics in the past.
Yeah, Gailey said "it won't be three weeks, but it won't be eight. Probably somewhere inbetween." Looks like 4 weeks is best case, and things could go quickly downhill if a more conclusive MRI shows more damage.

Tell you what's not fun though.... even if Fred's back in 3-4 weeks and even if Spiller does well in the interim even say through week 8.... owners have to carry both. Eventually Fred will come back and cut into Spiller or vice versa.

FWIW, my friend is a doctor and his specialty is Orthopedics. He will be certified to perform surgery in less than a year. We were watching Jets-Bills live and his first reaction was that it was the "unhappy triad". That is a tear of the ACL, MCL, and meniscus. Of course, he might not have torn all (or any) of these, but that was his initial reaction based on his experience.

Look guys, it's not good. The leg was planted into the ground while he simultaneously got hit in the side of the knee. You saw the knee move laterally while it was planted. That is a tear (probably of a severe degree), and I would be SHOCKED if he played before week 10-12 of this season at best. It would behoove FJax owners to trade him for whatever you can get before official news comes out.
Wait, if they can't get a clear read on the MRI because of swelling. How did your Dr friend have such clear insight. Must be one of those new 3D Hi Definition TV's.
It was just an observation based on what the injury looked like. I think in forums like this, it is good to provide as much information and opinion so that people can form their own thoughts. I happen to think he will be out for an extended period of time, and it might be wise to trade him if you can still get a flex starter for him.

Tell you what's not fun though.... even if Fred's back in 3-4 weeks and even if Spiller does well in the interim even say through week 8.... owners have to carry both. Eventually Fred will come back and cut into Spiller or vice versa.
Same as the whole league, enjoy it if you got SPiller, heck if you got freddy pedal him to the Spiller owner for something you can use now. The RBBC could be unbearable by week 10.

Agreed. Not that I'm expecting it, but if the team is sitting at 2-6 or 1-7 at that point, all of a sudden the need or willingness to let Jackson reassume his role may be lessened.

Full disclosure that I'm a Spiller owner, and either based on that or because of what I saw, my gut tells me Jackson will miss a significant amount of time...

But even if he's back within 4-6 weeks, we have a significant knee injury to the same leg that he broke last year. Obviously bones heal very differently than ligaments, but how do those in the know think that combination could affect his performance going forward?

I'd be pretty surprised if you can get anything of value for FJax right now. You probably need to either cut bait entirely or just hold and hope. That would likely depend on your league and roster sizes.

It's a long season. Spiller may not remain healthy himself.

Right now I am just going to hold. It sounds like worst case scenario FJax should be back after the bye week 9. It's a fluid situation. Ya never know, he could be a featured back during the playoffs.

Until I hear that he is done for the season I will stash him.

Users who are viewing this thread