What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another school shooting (2 Viewers)

Police rep confirms: 18 children pronounced dead at the school, 2 more pronounced dead at local hospitals, 6 adults pronounced dead at the school.
:cry: :cry: :cry: I once shot a bird with a bb gun when I was a kid and watched him flop around in pain before I shot him again to kill him. It tore me up. I hated myself for doing it. What on earth must happen to a soul before it can gun down humans as little as 5 years old. :cry:
Exact same thing happened to me.
Right there with you two. Probably why I don't hunt.

Normally I don't post personal thoughts, but I am noticing something in my mind that I have never experienced before with any other tragedy of this type. The calls for prayers and prayers are making me legitimately angry. Have never felt that before. Anyone else experiencing this?
Yup
What makes me angry is this; I wish I could ask this piece of #### one thing: I can somewhat come to the logical conclusion, with the precursor that you're ####### bat#### insane, of being so angry at your parents that you'd decide to take their lives. But what the hell did the others do? What did those kids do that would cause you to start shooting at them and continue? What the hell was going through your deranged mind? But I can't because this ####### coward offed himself. I'm both incredibly saddened and really ####### pissed.

'MacArtist said:
Huckabee is a POS. I now equate him on the same level as Westboro members.
:goodposting: I don't believe in Hell, but if I'm wrong I look forward to seeing Huckabee there and shoving some burning brimstone where the sun don't shine.
WTF is wrong with you? He didn't say anything that bad. I don't agree with him but you're reaction is a little mental to be honest.
:lmao: Unreal.
Have to assume RBM either didn't read the comments or misunderstood them.
The one about taking God out of school? Like I said I don't agree, but I really don't know how it's so offensive. I assume a lot of religious folks are thinking along the same lines.After everything that happened today, it's hard to believe people are so outraged by that.
It's basically an LHUCKS type move IMO.
Hucks did nothing wrong in here today, well at least nothing ban worthy. I can see people in the not here/not now crowd, but the jerks that just didn't agree with his opinion acting so over the top outraged was ridiculous.And with Huckabee, it's probably something that he should have saved for a week from now, but you can't kill the guy for his opinion on why society is so ####ed up right now that its almost beyond repair. This kind of crap is happening too frequently. People are going to blame gun laws, video games, lack of religion, etc...in the next couple of months. You guys going to be so outraged by all of those, or only the ones you personally agree with?

Normally I don't post personal thoughts, but I am noticing something in my mind that I have never experienced before with any other tragedy of this type. The calls for prayers and prayers are making me legitimately angry. Have never felt that before. Anyone else experiencing this?
Yup
What makes me angry is this; I wish I could ask this piece of #### one thing: I can somewhat come to the logical conclusion, with the precursor that you're ####### bat#### insane, of being so angry at your parents that you'd decide to take their lives. But what the hell did the others do? What did those kids do that would cause you to start shooting at them and continue? What the hell was going through your deranged mind? But I can't because this ####### coward offed himself. I'm both incredibly saddened and really ####### pissed.
Not that it matters, but I agree with you too.

Right there with you. I'm not usually affected by news tragedies. I feel sorry for the victims, but it doesn't rise to disturbing me at a deep level. Today did because the age and innocence of the victims. The only other times I felt like this because of the news were 9/11 and the Beslan School Massacre (was dating a Ruskie at the time so we were following that troubling story).

Yup
I wish these mother ####ers would just kill themselves at the first inkling of a suicidal thought.

'MacArtist said:
Huckabee is a POS. I now equate him on the same level as Westboro members.
:goodposting: I don't believe in Hell, but if I'm wrong I look forward to seeing Huckabee there and shoving some burning brimstone where the sun don't shine.
WTF is wrong with you? He didn't say anything that bad. I don't agree with him but you're reaction is a little mental to be honest.
:lmao: Unreal.
Have to assume RBM either didn't read the comments or misunderstood them.
The one about taking God out of school? Like I said I don't agree, but I really don't know how it's so offensive. I assume a lot of religious folks are thinking along the same lines.After everything that happened today, it's hard to believe people are so outraged by that.
It's basically an LHUCKS type move IMO.
Yeah, heck, as an internet message board, we even acknowledged this was no place to push that agenda (well most of us and the other few aren't with us) yet this guy who might have been President didn't have that decency?

Hucks did nothing wrong in here today, well at least nothing ban worthy. I can see people in the not here/not now crowd, but the jerks that just didn't agree with his opinion acting so over the top outraged was ridiculous.And with Huckabee, it's probably something that he should have saved for a week from now, but you can't kill the guy for his opinion on why society is so ####ed up right now that its almost beyond repair. This kind of crap is happening too frequently. People are going to blame gun laws, video games, lack of religion, etc...in the next couple of months. You guys going to be so outraged by all of those, or only the ones you personally agree with?
No. Only the ideas with a political agenda behind them that have no correlation with violence, guns, or insanity.

Don't know about the rest of you, but once my kids go to sleep......I'm gonna get drunk
I have the sudden urge to go help out at a toys for tots center.
You should. That is the kind of response that actually will help the problem and the kind of action that snowballs to make this country a more positive place to be.
Sounds crazy but I have the same feeling.
Ditto.

Don't know about the rest of you, but once my kids go to sleep......I'm gonna get drunk
You should. That is the kind of response that actually will help the problem and the kind of action that snowballs to make this country a more positive place to be.
Ditto.
It isn't crazy. In fact, it is the most sane response there is. Laws, outrage and sympathy don't fix problems.

AFA (American Family Association) Spokesman Bryan Fischer Says Children Died in Shooting Because School Did Not Embrace God.

Bryan Fischer said that God could have protected the victims of this massacre, but didn't because "God is not going to go where he is not wanted" and so if school administrators really want to protect students, they will start every school day with prayer.
Now this guy here....this is an #######.
I would hope that they give that guy the boot. Just horrible.

AFA (American Family Association) Spokesman Bryan Fischer Says Children Died in Shooting Because School Did Not Embrace God.

Bryan Fischer said that God could have protected the victims of this massacre, but didn't because "God is not going to go where he is not wanted" and so if school administrators really want to protect students, they will start every school day with prayer.
Now this guy here....this is an #######.
This guy just needs to shut up. It's not the time to be making statements like this.

Just tucked my 6yr old in. Decided not to tell him anything. No need right now (imo).

As I shut off his light, he said "Dad, did you know that youre my best friend?"

:cry: I cant get to the liquor cabinet soon enough. This ####### sucks man.

I was feeling extra emotional when I picked my kids up from daycare today.

Then they came home and acted like typical 18-month and 3-yr-olds and I couldn't wait until thy went to bed. :P

Just tucked my 6yr old in. Decided not to tell him anything. No need right now (imo). As I shut off his light, he said "Dad, did you know that youre my best friend?" :cry: I cant get to the liquor cabinet soon enough. This ####### sucks man.
Not much you can ever do to prevent a terrible freak occurrence happening to your son, but you can do a lot so that in 6 years and 6 more years, your son still considers you his best friend. Keep being a great father.

The parents of the children who didn't survive were told "If you haven't been reunited with your child yet... you won't be. It's over."

Heartbreaking.

Ditto.
It isn't crazy. In fact, it is the most sane response there is. Laws, outrage and sympathy don't fix problems.
I completely agree. Wasn't really agreeing that it was crazy, just that doing something positive tomorrow was the first thought. Finger pointing and assigning blame won't solve anything. On a side note, I don't exactly have a grand or two to buy gifts tomorrow, but I can certainly put a few hundred dollars up.... what kind of toys, etc. would be good to buy? Or, I'm open to suggestions on anything that would help make Christmas a little better for kids.ETA: If this is not the place to ask that question, then I apologize.

Last edited by a moderator:
So parents divorce, kid has trouble with mom, thinks mom loves the students more than him....This is totally my own armchair opinion
I wasn't shocked to learn he was from a broken home.
Children from broken families are nearly five times more likely to suffer damaging mental troubles than those whose parents stay together.

Enjoyed a nice night of watching Elf with my 4 year old and 8 year old sitting with me in my chair.

8 year old asked why I seemed sad...it was close to bed and he has had nightmares over things in the past and I did not want to worry him. I told him I was sad because some people got hurt today and it made me sad. Then at bedtime he asked if we could add them to our prayers and we did. Such an awesome kid and had me about crying like that. Just was not the time to tell him and freak him out before bed.

What a day. My son lives a couple towns over and we pulled him out of school early. At the time we didn't know if this was a coordinated terrorist attack, more to follow type thing, so we didn't take any chances. Lots of other parents did the same. This thing is hitting home on so many levels. My brother's best friend at work went to that school and had one of the teachers who was killed. What's crazy is that my brother lost a dear friend in the Manchester Distributors shooting a couple years ago. And then tonight I hear that the killer may have had Asbergers Syndrome? My ex wife's nephew, who spends a lot of time with my son, has the same illness and has made a few off the cuff threats to family members recently. I've always been wary of that kid and right now I'm so freaked out I don't even want him around.

It's just so sad around here. On the plus side people are noticeably kinder, just like after 9-11. I went to Toys R Us tonight with my son and the local hospital was there doing a toy drive. The ambulance was filled with toys. They said it was the biggest outpouring of gifts they've ever had. By a mile.

Ditto.
I completely agree. Wasn't really agreeing that it was crazy, just that doing something positive tomorrow was the first thought. Finger pointing and assigning blame won't solve anything. On a side note, I don't exactly have a grand or two to buy gifts tomorrow, but I can certainly put a few hundred dollars up.... what kind of toys, etc. would be good to buy? Or, I'm open to suggestions on anything that would help make Christmas a little better for kids.ETA: If this is not the place to ask that question, then I apologize.
I don't see why this would be the wrong thread to ask about how you can help people in need.I am sure nearly any book, art supply, or toy would be appreciated. However, the gift that could make the greatest impact is your time and your example.

So parents divorce, kid has trouble with mom, thinks mom loves the students more than him....This is totally my own armchair opinion
Children from broken families are nearly five times more likely to suffer damaging mental troubles than those whose parents stay together.
But I hate studies like that unless they go into more detail.What are the details of those "broken" homes. Father or mother not involved...not attentive and so on. One remarries and takes more to the new family than the old?How many that stay together are truely "broken" homes? So many factors that are not always taken into consideration IMO.This said coming from a guy whose parents divorced when I was 2-3. Both remarried and to this day my wife wonders how my mom and dad were ever together in the first place. They are nothing alike nor seem compatible at all (more than being friendly to each other now...they do get along ok). They both fit perfectly with their current spouses and my brother and I are much better off the way things did work out. We ended up with 2 loving sets of parents who both were involved in our lives.It obviously does not always work that way.

Ditto.
Our local Bank has a program that allows you to buy gifts for needy children. You are given a first name, gender, age, and a small list of what they need/want. Some of the things on the list almost make you wan to cry. Shoes, socks, blanket...... things that most kids take for granted.Wife and I participate every year.

So parents divorce, kid has trouble with mom, thinks mom loves the students more than him....

This is totally my own armchair opinion
But I hate studies like that unless they go into more detail.
Here ya go.I snipped it for brevity.

What a day. My son lives a couple towns over and we pulled him out of school early. At the time we didn't know if this was a coordinated terrorist attack, more to follow type thing, so we didn't take any chances. Lots of other parents did the same. This thing is hitting home on so many levels. My brother's best friend at work went to that school and had one of the teachers who was killed. What's crazy is that my brother lost a dear friend in the Manchester Distributors shooting a couple years ago. And then tonight I hear that the killer may have had Asbergers Syndrome? My ex wife's nephew, who spends a lot of time with my son, has the same illness and has made a few off the cuff threats to family members recently. I've always been wary of that kid and right now I'm so freaked out I don't even want him around.It's just so sad around here. On the plus side people are noticeably kinder, just like after 9-11. I went to Toys R Us tonight with my son and the local hospital was there doing a toy drive. The ambulance was filled with toys. They said it was the biggest outpouring of gifts they've ever had. By a mile.
Cool that people were giving.But I have to say something...you seem the only one wanting to keep bringing up terrorist attack.How long is this thread? And you have mentioned it several times...yet nobody else was.

What a day. My son lives a couple towns over and we pulled him out of school early. At the time we didn't know if this was a coordinated terrorist attack, more to follow type thing, so we didn't take any chances. Lots of other parents did the same. This thing is hitting home on so many levels. My brother's best friend at work went to that school and had one of the teachers who was killed. What's crazy is that my brother lost a dear friend in the Manchester Distributors shooting a couple years ago. And then tonight I hear that the killer may have had Asbergers Syndrome? My ex wife's nephew, who spends a lot of time with my son, has the same illness and has made a few off the cuff threats to family members recently. I've always been wary of that kid and right now I'm so freaked out I don't even want him around.It's just so sad around here. On the plus side people are noticeably kinder, just like after 9-11. I went to Toys R Us tonight with my son and the local hospital was there doing a toy drive. The ambulance was filled with toys. They said it was the biggest outpouring of gifts they've ever had. By a mile.
A person being diagnosed with aspbergers does not make them any more of a threat than a child not diagnosed with aspbergers. However, any person that makes threatening remarks should be regarded with extra concern.

So parents divorce, kid has trouble with mom, thinks mom loves the students more than him....

But I hate studies like that unless they go into more detail.
Here ya go.I snipped it for brevity.
Thanks for the link...I will give it a look after I fix this drink.Was not meaning to infer you were using bad studies...just that I hate some of them.

Same with those that pigeon hole kids on ADD or ADHD drugs and people who jump to conclusions about that (since my son is currently prescribed medication and it has helped him so very much in school)

So here's what bothered me most today. I told my 12 year old son all about what happened. I saw the fear and confusion in his eyes and told him not to worry, that the odds of it happening at his school were 1 in a million. An hour later on the radio I hear one of the parents of a surviving third grader at the school. He says that just last week they did a lockdown drill at the school and his child came home scared. He told his child not to worry, that the odds of it ever happening to him were "one in a gazillion". It sent chills up and down my spine.

Just tucked my 6yr old in. Decided not to tell him anything. No need right now (imo). As I shut off his light, he said "Dad, did you know that youre my best friend?" :cry: I cant get to the liquor cabinet soon enough. This ####### sucks man.
Wife and I are still up in the air on whether to talk to our seven year old and what to say if we do. He seems to have missed it up until now, so we may just wait and see how things go.Definitely even nicer than usual to see the boys tonight though.Hearing that the parents of the dead were the last ones waiting at the fire station and someone had to tell them there were no more children coming is one of the worst things I can imagine. No idea how you survive something like that.

Ditto.
Our local Bank has a program that allows you to buy gifts for needy children. You are given a first name, gender, age, and a small list of what they need/want. Some of the things on the list almost make you wan to cry. Shoes, socks, blanket...... things that most kids take for granted.Wife and I participate every year.
Thanks to the both of you.... Sounds like a mix of toys and basic needs is the way to go. I already know the drop off locations for basic need items and searched the locations for Toys for Tots. We're going to a family Christmas party tomorrow and my old man is riding with me. If I know him, he'll throw in as well.All of you parents, hug your kids and tell them you love them. What a horrible day for those parents and children in Connecticut.

Speaking from personal family experience, all I can say is that live can change in a New York minute.

Back 30+ years ago, my sister had a boyfriend who everyone thought was a great kid. Responsible, good grades, lots of friends, had a job, friendly and respectful, etc. I vividly remember one night he was at our house pinning a corsage on my sister's dress when he picked her up for the prom.

Two days later, the cops showed up asking a million and one questions and took my sister away. Out of the blue, the kid had doused a junior high school with a ton of gasoline, added in some propane tanks, and blew up the school. Thankfully he did it with no one in the school. He stood there watching the school burn when they showed up to put out the fire. He later confessed to setting several other places on fire.

We were like :eek: . The authorities at that point were suspicious of anyone that had contact with the kid, and rightfully so. As others have said, they can sort things out later, but they never know if there are other people involved, other things planned, people at risk, etc.

Bottom line, you just never know . . .

My kid's already eff'd. His mother and I divorced in 2009. I have Asperger's; he has been diagnosed bipolar with Autistic Spectrum Disorder and, at age 12, takes more meds in a day than an 80 year-old man. Has been kicked out of numerous schools since the age of 3 when he lasted about 2 days in a Montessori preschool. Even got kicked out of Sunday school when I was married and taking the kids to church every week. My wife and step-daughter are scared of him, as are his sisters (who live with their mother - split custody with him living with me). His psychopharmacologist has told me that he should not be left alone with anyone else in the family, except for me or his mother, necessitating me in hiring a special needs teacher to come take him after school lets out. After an episode of particularly bad behavior about 6 weeks ago, same psychopharmacologist asked me what my biggest fear was with respect to him.... my answer, no joke, was that he would be another John Ogdren, who stabbed another kid in the men's room of the high school one town over a few years ago. Psychopharmacologist said he didn't think he would get that far before being institutionalized.

More details starting to come out about the ####wad. My link
Still, after hearing of the news on Friday, Ms. DeVivo reconnected with friends from Newtown, and the consensus was stark. “They weren’t surprised,” she said. “They said he always seemed like he was someone who was capable of that because he just didn’t really connect with our high school, and didn’t really connect with our town.”
That is a pretty big leap. The article is pretty weak.

Why did they haul off the brother in cuffs?
Cuff first ask questions later.
Where was he cuffed? At the scene or another place?
His apartment in Hoboken I think. Cops found him there and took him away in handcuffs.
Thanks for the info.I was expecting the "wrists" answer which is why I further elaborated on the question, but Abe couldn't resist.
I haven't been funny in a while, according to my wife. Looks like my streak remains intact.
Yeah, you need to find another thread to try and be funny in. It's not the time or place.
Relax. I wasn't being an ###.
Just some friendly advice.

Piers Morgan totally lost it on his show during a gun control debate he was having. Different kind of host

Last edited by a moderator:

My kid's already eff'd. His mother and I divorced in 2009. I have Asperger's; he has been diagnosed bipolar with Autistic Spectrum Disorder and, at age 12, takes more meds in a day than an 80 year-old man. Has been kicked out of numerous schools since the age of 3 when he lasted about 2 days in a Montessori preschool. Even got kicked out of Sunday school when I was married and taking the kids to church every week. My wife and step-daughter are scared of him, as are his sisters (who live with their mother - split custody with him living with me). His psychopharmacologist has told me that he should not be left alone with anyone else in the family, except for me or his mother, necessitating me in hiring a special needs teacher to come take him after school lets out. After an episode of particularly bad behavior about 6 weeks ago, same psychopharmacologist asked me what my biggest fear was with respect to him.... my answer, no joke, was that he would be another John Ogdren, who stabbed another kid in the men's room of the high school one town over a few years ago. Psychopharmacologist said he didn't think he would get that far before being institutionalized.
Perhaps you should place him somewhere before your worst thoughts come true. I know it seems like giving up on your son, but knowing that he is really capable of something terrible, denying it, and letting him act out, that is giving up on him.

Cool that people were giving.But I have to say something...you seem the only one wanting to keep bringing up terrorist attack.How long is this thread? And you have mentioned it several times...yet nobody else was.
The only other deadly attack at an elementary school on this scale was a coordinated terrorist attack in Russia. I've also participated in some terrorist modeling activities where I work, and yes, as crazy as it sounds, schools as targets have been modeled. After 9/11 nothing is off the table. And one thing I've learned - if there is a terrorist event, put yourself and your family on high alert as there may be follow up attacks. Remember those poor souls in Tower 2 who were told it was an isolated incident and to stay where they were? Head on a swivel my man.

Users who are viewing this thread