What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another school shooting (1 Viewer)

So parents divorce, kid has trouble with mom, thinks mom loves the students more than him....

This is totally my own armchair opinion
I wasn't shocked to learn he was from a broken home.
Children from broken families are nearly five times more likely to suffer damaging mental troubles than those whose parents stay together.
My kid's already eff'd. His mother and I divorced in 2009. I have Asperger's; he has been diagnosed bipolar with Autistic Spectrum Disorder and, at age 12, takes more meds in a day than an 80 year-old man. Has been kicked out of numerous schools since the age of 3 when he lasted about 2 days in a Montessori preschool. Even got kicked out of Sunday school when I was married and taking the kids to church every week. My wife and step-daughter are scared of him, as are his sisters (who live with their mother - split custody with him living with me). His psychopharmacologist has told me that he should not be left alone with anyone else in the family, except for me or his mother, necessitating me in hiring a special needs teacher to come take him after school lets out. After an episode of particularly bad behavior about 6 weeks ago, same psychopharmacologist asked me what my biggest fear was with respect to him.... my answer, no joke, was that he would be another John Ogdren, who stabbed another kid in the men's room of the high school one town over a few years ago. Psychopharmacologist said he didn't think he would get that far before being institutionalized.
Perhaps you should place him somewhere before your worst thoughts come true. I know it seems like giving up on your son, but knowing that he is really capable of something terrible, denying it, and letting him act out, that is giving up on him.
:goodposting: Just a horrible situation to live with johnny. People need to speak out early and often about possible problems even if it's with their own kids.

So parents divorce, kid has trouble with mom, thinks mom loves the students more than him....

Children from broken families are nearly five times more likely to suffer damaging mental troubles than those whose parents stay together.
My kid's already eff'd. His mother and I divorced in 2009. I have Asperger's; he has been diagnosed bipolar with Autistic Spectrum Disorder and, at age 12, takes more meds in a day than an 80 year-old man. Has been kicked out of numerous schools since the age of 3 when he lasted about 2 days in a Montessori preschool. Even got kicked out of Sunday school when I was married and taking the kids to church every week. My wife and step-daughter are scared of him, as are his sisters (who live with their mother - split custody with him living with me). His psychopharmacologist has told me that he should not be left alone with anyone else in the family, except for me or his mother, necessitating me in hiring a special needs teacher to come take him after school lets out. After an episode of particularly bad behavior about 6 weeks ago, same psychopharmacologist asked me what my biggest fear was with respect to him.... my answer, no joke, was that he would be another John Ogdren, who stabbed another kid in the men's room of the high school one town over a few years ago. Psychopharmacologist said he didn't think he would get that far before being institutionalized.
Perhaps you should place him somewhere before your worst thoughts come true. I know it seems like giving up on your son, but knowing that he is really capable of something terrible, denying it, and letting him act out, that is giving up on him.
The doctor has told him that next episode of violence, he will be hospitalized and may or may not be able to return home afterwards. And I take exception to the assertion that I am denying the depth of his problems and allowing it to continue.

The doctor has told him that next episode of violence, he will be hospitalized and may or may not be able to return home afterwards. And I take exception to the assertion that I am denying the depth of his problems and allowing it to continue.
I apologize if you took my comment as any kind of assertion towards your handling of your child. I know almost nothing about you or child and perhaps should not have even commented. I was only trying to offer honest advice with the best of intentions. As a teacher that has worked with children that seem to have similar traits as your son, I have a great deal of respect for the level of commitment it takes to be a parent in that situation.

I'm sorry to hear all this Johnny. I dont know what to say, other than - Keep your head up and keep being a Dad. Good luck to you my friend.

The parents of the children who didn't survive were told "If you haven't been reunited with your child yet... you won't be. It's over."Heartbreaking.
Holy ####...unthinkable. :cry:
Kids in a separate room in the fire house watching TV. Parent's kept outside the room and the kids were brought out and reconciled with their parents, but not all at once. Eventually they had to tell the remaining parents that there were no more kids left in the other room. Not that there is an easy way to do that, but that's freaking mental. It's like some kind of twisted nightmare version of a recess activity. Horrid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a religious person but believe that more people could use some religion in their life.
Good posting. I was raised Catholic and am a complete non-believer. I never bought in as a child either. I attended Catholic school for 12 years and while I did not believe the story, the morality very much did rub off on me. Anything that helps people find a positive meaning to this world is a good thing IMO.

More details starting to come out about the ####wad. My link
But there isn't really much emerging from this to think there were that many red flags that could have been spotted. I went to school with a few kids who were quiet, socially awkward, and intelligent to boot.
Seemed almost irresponsible to me. The sense I got was we need to be wary of kids with Asberger's. Nice message.

I apologize if you took my comment as any kind of assertion towards your handling of your child. I know almost nothing about you or child and perhaps should not have even commented. I was only trying to offer honest advice with the best of intentions. As a teacher that has worked with children that seem to have similar traits as your son, I have a great deal of respect for the level of commitment it takes to be a parent in that situation.
My apologies too johhny for my comment. It was meant more towards other parents who don't realize and voice concerns. You clearly do and are monitoring your situation.

I'm not a religious person but believe that more people could use some religion in their life.
Good posting. I was raised Catholic and am a complete non-believer. I never bought in as a child either. I attended Catholic school for 12 years and while I did not believe the story, the morality very much did rub off on me. Anything that helps people find a positive meaning to this world is a good thing IMO.
:goodposting: Very well said.

Cool. Thanks. It's not easy, but I rely heavily upon the advice of his doctor, who is arguably one of the best in the world in dealing with kids with ASD and PDD. The three kids & I see him at least monthly - more often when we're having problems or adjustments to medications - since 2006. He knows our family very, very well. If he says the boy needs to be locked up, he's getting locked up.

My boss has a son with some type of autistic problem. Docs haven't quite labeled it yet. But he exhibits some very concerning tendencies and behaviors.

I talked to him today. He said he's had nightmares about his 7 year old growing up and doing something like this. I've posted about him before. The mom and dad (my boss) have done literally everything in their power (meds, shrinks, religion, family counseling, dietary modifications) but honestly, his adopted son would be considered a successful outcome if he didn't seriously hurt someone as an adult. They've even talked about the possibility of long term hospitalization.

I can't even imagine.

I'm a hopeful agnostic. Maybe some day. But there's no denying the message that a peaceful religious attitude can bring. Some people need guidance, plain and simple.

I don't understand the focus on security in schools. These kids are effectively out in public. If someone wants to do something like this, they can do it in a mall, or a movie theater, or a supermarket, or wherever they want really. I don't see this as a security issue. If that were the solution, you'd need tighter security at schools, churches, Penn Station, Macy's, Disneyland... pretty much everywhere. You can't solve this problem with security. I don't know the answer, other than that I don't think this is it.

I'm a hopeful agnostic. Maybe some day. But there's no denying the message that a peaceful religious attitude can bring. Some people need guidance, plain and simple.
We all could use a little more guidance!

I don't understand the focus on security in schools. These kids are effectively out in public. If someone wants to do something like this, they can do it in a mall, or a movie theater, or a supermarket, or wherever they want really. I don't see this as a security issue. If that were the solution, you'd need tighter security at schools, churches, Penn Station, Macy's, Disneyland... pretty much everywhere. You can't solve this problem with security. I don't know the answer, other than that I don't think this is it.
Maybe we need more security at places where there are a lot of people, particularly kids. An armed cop in every school? I never in a million years thought that would even be on the table, but after this....All I know is, like Obama said today, there's been too much of this. I live 1 mile from Manchester Distributors (the slaughter 2 years ago) and my son goes to school a couple towns over from Newtown. This #### is hitting way too close to home.

I once shot a bird with a bb gun when I was a kid and watched him flop around in pain before I shot him again to kill him. It tore me up. I hated myself for doing it. What on earth must happen to a soul before it can gun down humans as little as 5 years old. :cry:
Exact same thing happened to me.
Right there with you two. Probably why I don't hunt.
It was weird when I first read this. I have such a vivid memory of being at my grandparents farm when I was about 10 years old. They had BB guns there, and we would shoot other shotguns and rifles when we would go there. But I specifically remember the time I aimed the BB gun at a bird perching on a tree limb, pulled the trigger, saw the BB traject toward the bird and hit it perfectly. The bird, while clutching the brach with its talons, swirled upside down, and fell to the ground dead. I felt like the biggest piece of #### in the that one fleeting moment. That was the last time I killed an innocent animal. That has had such a lasting impact on my entire life, I cannot begin to explain how that moment has led me to where I am today. Very interesting that others have had the same experience.Thanks GM.

Maybe we need more security at places where there are a lot of people, particularly kids. An armed cop in every school? I never in a million years thought that would even be on the table, but after this....All I know is, like Obama said today, there's been too much of this. I live 1 mile from Manchester Distributors (the slaughter 2 years ago) and my son goes to school a couple towns over from Newtown. This #### is hitting way too close to home.
Why do we need more security at places where there are more kids than adults?

Schools are safe.You just can't guard crazy.

The parents of the children who didn't survive were told "If you haven't been reunited with your child yet... you won't be. It's over."Heartbreaking.
Kids in a separate room in the fire house watching TV. Parent's kept outside the room and the kids were brought out and reconciled with their parents, but not all at once. Eventually they had to tell the remaining parents that there were no more kids left in the other room. Not that there is an easy way to do that, but that's freaking mental. It's like some kind of twisted nightmare version of a recess activity. Horrid.
I'm not really shaken easily by these things but when I heard this part I think it hit me harder than anything I've ever heard. I guess it took becoming a dad to fully grasp it. My daughter is 2 1/2 now and I just can't imagine sitting in that room and as time passes to realize your child isn't coming and they were murdered. It's inconceivable to me how you get through that.

I'm not really shaken easily by these things but when I heard this part I think it hit me harder than anything I've ever heard. I guess it took becoming a dad to fully grasp it. My daughter is 2 1/2 now and I just can't imagine sitting in that room and as time passes to realize your child isn't coming and they were murdered. It's inconceivable to me how you get through that.
You're not kidding. Can't think of many things worse than being in that situation.

I don't know the answer, but more security is not it.
I don't know the answer either, but I don't think the security issue is going to be dismissed that easily. The saddest thing I heard today was someone on tv who said, accurately, that these little kids "were like sitting ducks". Those are some haunting words right there.

There are armed guards in a lot of banks protecting our money. Why not protect innocent kids too? :shrug:

There are armed guards in a lot of banks protecting our money. Why not protect innocent kids too? :shrug:
I heard someone say today that this will do for school security what 9/11 did for the airports

I don't know where schools are going to find the money. In our local district they are having to slash millions of dollars from the budget just to make ends meet. Big debate over shutting down one of the elementary schools. A full-time, armed guard at every school won't be inexpensive.

I heard someone say today that this will do for school security what 9/11 did for the airports
I remember Columbine and all the school assemblies, drills, special guest lectures by police etc at my high school immediately afterward. Lots of protocols in place.Why would this be any different? Didn't we already have our '9/11' re:school security?

I think this is going to very true. We've got cops manning speed traps all over the place here. Putting them in schools and in malls isn't going to bother me, that's for sure.

Why is a kid more deserving of security than an adult? The average male adult is likely the father and/or grandfather and/or uncle and/or brother of >1 child. An adult being killed is likely going to have a very negative impact on many children.

With the regularity that these shool shootings seem to be happening, I don't see why it's a bad idea. It's sad that this is the world we live in today, but even if its a small deterrent to someone massacring a bunch of kids, then I'm all for it. 20/20 just said that since Columbine, in '99, there have been over 40 school shootings. That's ####### ridiculous.

I don't know the answer, but more security is not it.
I don't know the answer either, but I don't think the security issue is going to be dismissed that easily. The saddest thing I heard today was someone on tv who said, accurately, that these little kids "were like sitting ducks". Those are some haunting words right there.
We could veer into a levy debate, but this isn't the right time imho. Schools and public service are losing money, the available resources they do have are being stretched too thin as is. Until more $ is funneled back into these sectors this is not an option anyway. If it were even a good solution.

I was on the road at the time listening to MSNBC on Sirius, so I could be wrong. But I believe the Governor was the one who delivered the message.

My linkAccording to a quick statistics study from 2011

There were 5,086 incidents of bank robberies for 2011 in the US alone.

That is why there are armed guards and I haven't seen an armed guard at any bank I have gone too recently.

So it's not like every bank has a guard at the door.

Some schools do have police officers at the door or on the grounds. My HS did, but there were always fights and gang related activity. They were not there protecting against a crazy kid with a gun ready to shoot up the school.

You can't protect against crazy.

I remember Columbine and all the school assemblies, drills, special guest lectures by police etc. Lots of protocols in place.Why would this be any different? Didn't we already have our '9/11' re:school security?
Do you really not see this as different?

Why is a kid more deserving of security than an adult? The average male adult is likely the father and/or grandfather and/or uncle and/or brother of >1 child. An adult being killed is likely going to have a very negative impact on many children.
Why is money more deserving of security than little kids?

I think this is going to very true. We've got cops manning speed traps all over the place here. Putting them in schools and in malls isn't going to bother me, that's for sure.
Sad, but true - armed guard at a school doesn't bring money into the police department - speeding tickets do.

I don't know where schools are going to find the money. In our local district they are having to slash millions of dollars from the budget just to make ends meet. Big debate over shutting down one of the elementary schools. A full-time, armed guard at every school won't be inexpensive.
Exactly. This would have to be a huge federally funded project. If it happens, what else can we say about America? We had to drastically cut spending on actual education and super massively increase funding for school security? We about 100,000 schools. 1 cop for each is at the cheapest $50k per school. Throw in $5k for general security upgrades. Do the math on that.

I didn't say it was. Aren't the armed guards at banks hired and paid for by the banks themselves?

My linkAccording to a quick statistics study from 2011

There were 5,086 incidents of bank robberies for 2011 in the US alone.

That is why there are armed guards and I haven't seen an armed guard at any bank I have gone too recently.

So it's not like every bank has a guard at the door.

Some schools do have police officers at the door or on the grounds. My HS did, but there were always fights and gang related activity. They were not there protecting against a crazy kid with a gun ready to shoot up the school.

You can't protect against crazy.
I agree and I'm not heavy on this, t was more of a rhetorical question than anything and probably an emotional reaction after listening to today's news. Like its been said there is no right answer, but a lot of wrong in the world unfortunately.

Don't know about the rest of you, but once my kids go to sleep......I'm gonna get drunk
I've been straight edge for 35 years. You don't know how tempting this sounds right now. I am not sure what is wrong with me but I can't really stop tearing up about this. I can't help but think of every one of those poor kids who died scared and without their parents there. I'm sure it hits closer to home since I have a kindergartener.

I didn't say it was. Aren't the armed guards at banks hired and paid for by the banks themselves?
Im just asking probably stupid rhetorical questions and not looking to start a major debate and not singling you out for anything. And you're right they are privately funded which is a whole nother issue that's been stated and I agree with. Just emotional thoughts and questions I have running through my mind after a tragedy like today.

Users who are viewing this thread