What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Oakland Raiders thread *** (1 Viewer)

My round 2 Raiders quick board1. QB Barkley 2. WR Woods 3. QB Smith 4. DT Hankins 5. OG Warford 6 DT Short 7. WR Hunter 8. DT J Williams 9. LB Te'o 10. DT Jenkins

14. Cornelius Carradine | 6'4 1/8, 276 pounds | Defensive end | Florida State

18. Arthur Brown | 6'0, 241 pounds | Middle linebacker | Kansas State

19. Keenan Allen | 6'2, 206 pounds | Wide receiver | California *

20. Geno Smith | 6'2 3/8, 218 pounds | Quarterback | West Virginia

23. Jonathan Cyprien | 6'0, 210 pounds | Safety | Florida International

26. D.J. Swearinger | 6'0, 212 pounds | Safety | South Carolina

29. Johnathan Hankins | 6'2 7/8, 320 pounds | Defensive tackle | Ohio State

31. Jesse Williams | 6'3 3/8, 323 pounds | Defensive tackle | Alabama

33. Larry Warford | 6'3 1/4, 332 pounds | Guard | Kentucky

34. Zach Ertz | 6'5, 250 pounds | Tight end | Stanford *

37. John Jenkins | 6'3 5'8, 346 pounds | Defensive tackle | Georgia

38. Damontre Moore | 6'4 1/2, 250 pounds | Defensive end | Texas A&M *

39. Jamie Collins | 6'3 1/2, 250 pounds | Outside linebacker | Southern Miss

40. Gavin Escobar | 6'5 7/8, 254 pounds | Tight end | San Diego State *

42. Manti Te'o | 6'1 1/4, 241 pounds | Middle linebacker | Notre Dame

43. Khaseem Greene | 6'0 3/4, 241 pounds | Outside linebacker | Rutgers

44. Eddie Lacy | 5'11, 231 pounds | Running back | Alabama *

45. Kawann Short | 6'2 7/8, 299 pounds | Defensive tackle | Purdue

46. Logan Ryan | 5'11 1/8, 190 pounds | Cornerback | Rutgers *

47. Johnthan Banks | 6'2, 185 pounds | Cornerback | Mississippi State

48. Robert Woods | 6'0 3/8, 200 pounds | Wide receiver | Southern California *

49. Sio Moore | 6'0 3/4, 245 pounds | Outside linebacker | Connecticut

50. Alex Okafor | 6'4 1/2, 264 pounds | Defensive end | Texas

51. Justin Hunter | 6'4, 196 pounds | Wide receiver | Tennessee *

52. Giovani Bernard | 5'8 3/8, 202 pounds | Running back | North Carolina **

53. Travis Kelce | 6'6, 255 pounds | Tight end | Cincinnati

54. Menelik Watson | 6'5 1/8, 310 pounds | Offensive tackle | Florida State *

55. Jamar Taylor | 5'10 5/8, 192 pounds | Cornerback | Boise State

56. Matt Barkley | 6'2 1/2, 227 pounds | Quarterback | Southern California
Where is my boy Margus Hunt? Mayock has him at #39. :excited:

Is Geno in play for us in the gol-dang 2nd round?
Man I hope not. I'd rather have nassib.
I really don't know the QBs. But Geno in the 2nd would be kind of interesting.
I don't know if I'd want him. For one, there are a lot of intruiging talents still on the board, including Zach Ertz who I would like but doubt falls to us. And two, I think it shows some immaturity on his part to sit in the green room for 4 hours sulking and then he leaves New York because he's embarrased or ashamed. Not the mental makeup I'm looking for in a QB. Not the kind of guy who has the intangibles to deal with adversity. If anything, now's the time to be coming front and center, back straight, eyes focused. Ready for the call. Ready to work. He comes off as a petulant bratty kid.

I don't know if I'd want him. For one, there are a lot of intruiging talents still on the board, including Zach Ertz who I would like but doubt falls to us. And two, I think it shows some immaturity on his part to sit in the green room for 4 hours sulking and then he leaves New York because he's embarrased or ashamed. Not the mental makeup I'm looking for in a QB. Not the kind of guy who has the intangibles to deal with adversity. If anything, now's the time to be coming front and center, back straight, eyes focused. Ready for the call. Ready to work. He comes off as a petulant bratty kid.
I am pretty sure I don't want him. No one seemed too excited about him, and I'd rather take some more defense.

Him leaving the green room, and not wanting to come back for Round 2 doesn't bother me one little bit, and I think it's a silly thing to even think about.

If he can hit a 15 yard out, and his teammates like him, it won't matter if he sat in a room for another hour.

I am pretty sure I don't want him. No one seemed too excited about him, and I'd rather take some more defense.

Him leaving the green room, and not wanting to come back for Round 2 doesn't bother me one little bit, and I think it's a silly thing to even think about.

If he can hit a 15 yard out, and his teammates like him, it won't matter if he sat in a room for another hour.
Question is ,is he better than what we now have?

I like what the Raiders did yesterday. They didn't get the value that the pick chart shows they should have, but they got their top 3 guy and added a 2nd rounder in a draft that is supposed to have very good value and depth through the first two and maybe the 3rd round. I think that in a draft like this the Jimmy Johnson draft value chart is off by quite a bit. They should have gotten more for the trade, but I still think they got good value.

Tough situation for a kid who had probably been told a thousand times he would be a top 10 pick. Still, sulking for a couple of hours with his head down wasn't the way I would hope my future team leader deals with adversity. But this was a situation where he could not do anything to affect the outcome. We can all hope he has a different attitude when times are tough and he can do something about it.

In my mind its still time to fill huge needs in areas where the draft is deep, see what Flynn is made of and then, if QB is still a huge need, get a stud QB next year, when there will almost ceratinly likely be a better crop. I'm pretty sure OAK can count on an early pick for at least one more year.

I like what the Raiders did yesterday. They didn't get the value that the pick chart shows they should have, but they got their top 3 guy and added a 2nd rounder in a draft that is supposed to have very good value and depth through the first two and maybe the 3rd round. I think that in a draft like this the Jimmy Johnson draft value chart is off by quite a bit. They should have gotten more for the trade, but I still think they got good value.
I was worried that we would not get 'fair value' according to the Jimmy Johnson trade chart. But that thing is pretty linear and every draft is different. Had Jacksonville not taken Joeckel, I'm sure that we are getting a bounty of picks much greater than the #42 pick. It's unfortunate that it's all we got, but at least we have it. I don't think it's good or even fair value, but what we could get in the ten minutes we had to find serious offerers. I also don't want to believe that noise from Reggie that he would have taken Hayden at pick #3 over Jordan. If that had happened, I'd be out shopping for a new TV right now.

with a night to sleep on it, i am still kinda meh. i don't really like the pick, but don't hate it. i think we reached a little and hate that the rumor is we would have taken him at 3. but if that's true, i'm ecstatic we traded down!! still feels a little too much like an Al pick, but we shall see what we do with 42. if we take another skill player, ie: woods, Al may as well be running the draft.

It takes two to tango. The reality is once Fisher and Joeckel came off the board the demand for the pick dropped dramatically. I feel fortunate that they were even able to pick up a pick in the second round. Doesn't matter whether Hayden was selected at three or twelve if he can play at a similar level as he did in college, then the pick will be solid. Now let's fill the trenches!

Last edited by a moderator:
Per Rototworld

Matt Barkley - QB - Player
ESPN's Bill Williamson is "hearing a lot of chatter" about the Raiders targeting USC QB Matt Barkley at No. 42.
That's the pick the Raiders got from the Dolphins for trading down from No. 3 to No. 12. Barkley hasn't been strongly connected to any team since the draft kicked off at 8ET Thursday evening, but there's buzz as many as three QBs could come off the board between picks 33-39. Rotoworld's second-round mock has Barkley tumbling to the Bears at No. 50.

Not a fan, given the terrible history of USC QBs.

Regarding Barkley, I think he gets too much hate from much of Raider Nation. I think it's the USC thing with Carson and Leinart both exiled. I think that it's mostly unfair. Barkley was considered a first round lock prior to his last college season. He had a terrible line and he's a very solid, smart, x's and o's type leader. I think in the right situation, he could lead a team to the playoffs. But I do not want him because I don't see his upside as any kind of success that would lead to a championship. So, I'll wish him well but hope that we pass on him. I'd love to draft a TE, either Kelce or Ertz. We'll see. Should be interesting tonight.

Regarding Barkley, I think he gets too much hate from much of Raider Nation. I think it's the USC thing with Carson and Leinart both exiled. I think that it's mostly unfair. Barkley was considered a first round lock prior to his last college season. He had a terrible line and he's a very solid, smart, x's and o's type leader. I think in the right situation, he could lead a team to the playoffs. But I do not want him because I don't see his upside as any kind of success that would lead to a championship. So, I'll wish him well but hope that we pass on him. I'd love to draft a TE, either Kelce or Ertz. We'll see. Should be interesting tonight.
I wouldn't mind him at all. His numbers look worse than they should due to questionable play calling.

"Double 9-routes on one... BREAK!"

If you use the Harvard NFL Value chart the Raiders won that trade by 41.1 points. Here is a link that shows both the old value chart and the Harvard Value Chart. http://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/how-to-value-nfl-draft-picks/

With the Raiders pick coming exactly 10 spots into the second round, it makes for a nice round number to put together the top ten best players still on the board for the Raiders' needs as we head into the second round.

1. Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State
2. Jonathan Cyprien, FS, Florida International
3. Margus Hunt, DE, SMU
4. Kawann Short, DT, Purdue
5. Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
6. Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State
7. DJ Swearinger, S, South Carolina
8. Jonathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State
9. Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
10. Alex Okafor, DE, Texas

I just can't believe you guys don't like Hunt as much as I do. His measurables are off the charts. Yeah, I know... so were Mike Mamula's. But this guy is going to be physically dominant against almost anyone he faces. He just needs to learn proper technique, which could take a couple of years. But you may well be looking at an All-Pro when he is polished.

Hoping the pick is D line. Hearing a lot of good things about Jesse Williams and I have always liked Okafor.

Maybe, the list:

Sanchez

Lienart

Palmer

Rob Johnson

Todd Marajunavich

Rodney Pete

With exception to a couple Palmer's better seasons at Cincinnati, that is not a good track record for producing quality NFL QBs. And the last three alumni that have been on our roster have failed miserably. I am not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000164026/article/miami-dolphins-shocked-trade-to-no-3-cost-half-price

Miami Dolphins shocked trade to No. 3 cost 'half price'

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

The New England Patriots acquired a huge haul of draft picks from the Minnesota Vikings on Thursday night in exchange for the No. 29 overall selection. On the other end of the spectrum: The Miami Dolphins' deal with the Oakland Raiders for the No. 3 overall pick.

One source told NFL.com's Albert Breer that the Dolphins believe they got to move up for "half price."

"I feel like everybody in the room was shocked," Dolphins owner Stephen Ross told The Miami Herald.

The Dolphins "only" gave up their No. 12 overall pick and the No. 42 overall pick in order to move up to get Dion Jordan. According to the admittedly outdated "trade chart," the Dolphins got a steal.

In Oakland, the emotion was relief rather than elation, according to Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports. The Raiders planned to take cornerback D.J. Hayden all along. It was a surprise pick, and the Raiders knew they could get Hayden later in the first round.

Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie went into the draft desperate to acquire more picks, and he knew he would be criticized for grabbing Hayden so high without getting anything extra in return. The Raiders were just two minutes away from being "stuck" with Hayden at No. 3 before the Dolphins finished the deal.

McKenzie said he has "no doubt" that Hayden will be an impact player. If that's the case, this ultimately will be a win-win move. Silver said McKenzie is very much in "show me" territory as the Raiders try to rebuild. He's going to need some tangible results fast.

Finding a no-doubt impact player in the second round would go a long way.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

I just can't believe you guys don't like Hunt as much as I do. His measurables are off the charts. Yeah, I know... so were Mike Mamula's. But this guy is going to be physically dominant against almost anyone he faces. He just needs to learn proper technique, which could take a couple of years. But you may well be looking at an All-Pro when he is polished.
A couple of years? What he'll be 27....28 by then?

I like the Estonian too, just not at 42. If Reggie decides to trade back and take him in the latter half of the round, I'm aboard.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000164026/article/miami-dolphins-shocked-trade-to-no-3-cost-half-price

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

The New England Patriots acquired a huge haul of draft picks from the Minnesota Vikings on Thursday night in exchange for the No. 29 overall selection. On the other end of the spectrum: The Miami Dolphins' deal with the Oakland Raiders for the No. 3 overall pick.

One source told NFL.com's Albert Breer that the Dolphins believe they got to move up for "half price."

"I feel like everybody in the room was shocked," Dolphins owner Stephen Ross told The Miami Herald.

The Dolphins "only" gave up their No. 12 overall pick and the No. 42 overall pick in order to move up to get Dion Jordan. According to the admittedly outdated "trade chart," the Dolphins got a steal.

In Oakland, the emotion was relief rather than elation, according to Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports. The Raiders planned to take cornerback D.J. Hayden all along. It was a surprise pick, and the Raiders knew they could get Hayden later in the first round.

Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie went into the draft desperate to acquire more picks, and he knew he would be criticized for grabbing Hayden so high without getting anything extra in return. The Raiders were just two minutes away from being "stuck" with Hayden at No. 3 before the Dolphins finished the deal.

McKenzie said he has "no doubt" that Hayden will be an impact player. If that's the case, this ultimately will be a win-win move. Silver said McKenzie is very much in "show me" territory as the Raiders try to rebuild. He's going to need some tangible results fast.

Here's my thoughts on the trade: Every GM knows the Raiders are in full-blown rebuild mode and that the smartest move for Reggie would be to move out of the #3 pick and stockpile more picks becuase one player isn't going to get them into the playoffs. The way I see it, Reggie kind of had his hands tied. I imagine he got all kinds of low-ball offers leading up to the draft becuase evreyone and they're mother knew Reggie wanted to move down. The Miami deal might have been the best offer they were going to get... He had to pull the trigger. I commend him for at least doing what he could to get another draft pick to ease the pain of the Palmer deal a little. Its what he does with the picks that will ultimately matter.

Maybe, the list:

Sanchez

Lienart

Palmer

Rob Johnson

Todd Marajunavich

Rodney Pete

With exception to a couple Palmer's better seasons at Cincinnati, that is not a good track record for producing quality NFL QBs. And the last three alumni that have been on our roster have failed miserably. I am not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling...
The full list of USC QBs in the NFL is pretty piss-poor. With year drafted and round.

Vince Evans (loved this guy, but back-up all the way) - 1977/ 6th

Rob Hertel - 1978/ 5th

Paul McDonald - 1980/ 4th

Scott Tinsley - 1984/ Undrafted

Sean Salisbury - 1987/ Undrafted

Rodney Peete - 1989/ 6th

Todd Marinovich - 1991/ 1st

Rob Johnson - 1994/ 4th

Kyle Wachholtz - 1996/ 7th

Brad Otten - 1997/ Undrafted

Carson Palmer - 2003/ 1st

Matt Cassell - 2005/ 7th

Matt Leinart - 2006/ 1st

John David Booty - 2008/ 5th

Mark Sanchez - 2009/ 1st

Aaron Corp - 2012/ Undrafted

These are all the guys I could find since 1975.

Rotoworld predicting the Raiders next pick...... Kentucky OG Larry Warford ran forty times of 5.53 and 5.68 at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Quipped NFL Network's Mike Mayock, "Larry's not a forty guy. Larry's a phone-booth guy." In other words, Warford does his best work in small areas, getting his hands on opponents and erasing them from plays. A short-armed, 333-pound classic power blocker, Warford is expected to be a top-60 pick in April's draft.

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

Here's my thoughts on the trade: Every GM knows the Raiders are in full-blown rebuild mode and that the smartest move for Reggie would be to move out of the #3 pick and stockpile more picks becuase one player isn't going to get them into the playoffs. The way I see it, Reggie kind of had his hands tied. I imagine he got all kinds of low-ball offers leading up to the draft becuase evreyone and they're mother knew Reggie wanted to move down. The Miami deal might have been the best offer they were going to get... He had to pull the trigger. I commend him for at least doing what he could to get another draft pick to ease the pain of the Palmer deal a little. Its what he does with the picks that will ultimately matter.
:goodposting:

It also didn't help that the news had leaked that the Raiders were locked into selecting Hayden, so this was likely the best offer that they were going to see, and the following quote from the article above more or less confirms this:

The Raiders were just two minutes away from being "stuck" with Hayden at No. 3 before the Dolphins finished the deal.

Interesting pick. Hopefully this signals the end of Barnes' (aka Speed Bump) tenure. Should fit nicely with the power running game approach.

Reggie showing some commitment to Flynn. Barkley could have started as a rookie. Watson is a gifted project who will probably have to sit a year or two. We definately need depth at OT but I was hopeing for an instant starter.

DTs continueing to slip. Could still get a good one in round 3.

Maybe, the list: SanchezLienartPalmerRob JohnsonTodd MarajunavichRodney Pete With exception to a couple Palmer's better seasons at Cincinnati, that is not a good track record for producing quality NFL QBs. And the last three alumni that have been on our roster have failed miserably. I am not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling...
The full list of USC QBs in the NFL is pretty piss-poor. With year drafted and round.Vince Evans (loved this guy, but back-up all the way) - 1977/ 6thRob Hertel - 1978/ 5thPaul McDonald - 1980/ 4thScott Tinsley - 1984/ UndraftedSean Salisbury - 1987/ UndraftedRodney Peete - 1989/ 6thTodd Marinovich - 1991/ 1stRob Johnson - 1994/ 4thKyle Wachholtz - 1996/ 7thBrad Otten - 1997/ UndraftedCarson Palmer - 2003/ 1stMatt Cassell - 2005/ 7thMatt Leinart - 2006/ 1stJohn David Booty - 2008/ 5thMark Sanchez - 2009/ 1stAaron Corp - 2012/ Undrafted These are all the guys I could find since 1975.
Pat Haden went in the 7th round of the 1975 draft, but didn't have much of a career either.

No immediate help... This pick signifies they're already looking to 2014, apparently it's a "committment to the future" now.

First two picks on paper sound like Al was drafting from the grave (sans the trade back of course).
My thoughts exactly. :bag: what's next? Usain bolt?
First two picks on paper sound like Al was drafting from the grave (sans the trade back of course).
Tough crowd. I guess that is the jaded attitude you get after the past decade under Al.Al's picks would have universally been considered reaches, with each pick based solely on their 40 times, not college production. No one considers these pick reaches, and both had good college careers.:shrug/:

>>

Tough crowd. I guess that is the jaded attitude you get after the past decade under Al.Al's picks would have universally been considered reaches, with each pick based solely on their 40 times, not college production. No one considers these pick reaches, and both had good college careers.:shrug/:
Ha! I'm thrilled with the trade down (which Uncle Al never did) and the Hayden pick. I just hope Watson isn't another Bruce Campbell. Honestly I know nothing about him. Mayock likes him and didn't rip the Raiders for the pick so I'm willing to get on board. I was hoping for another defensive player. Escobar would have been a good pick there too.

The Campbell comparison doesn't have merit because Watson was considered a day 2, top five tackle prospect, whereas Campbell was not. Campbell made his money at the combine, not on the playing field. I am very hopeful that Watson will develop into a solid RT.

I do agree that our most pressing need now is DT. It would surprise me to see a trade down in round 3 to pick up more picks.

If Kelice falls to us in round 3 he would represent serious value and fill another pressing need.

The Campbell comparison doesn't have merit because Watson was considered a day 2, top five tackle prospect, whereas Campbell was not. Campbell made his money at the combine, not on the playing field. I am very hopeful that Watson will develop into a solid RT.
At 6-foot-5, 310 pounds, Watson seems to rank high among scouts in durability and pass protection, but mediocre in awareness and run blocking.

Users who are viewing this thread