What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

14 yr old shot from 30 ft away;shooter claims Stand Your Ground (2 Viewers)

timschochet

Footballguy
http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/lastandyourgroundcouldcomeintoplay-217460491.html

NEW ORLEANS -- A 14-year-old shot on a Marigny homeowner's property remained in critical condition Monday.

The man who admitted to shooting him, 33-year-old Merritt Landry, bonded out of jail Friday after police arrested him on a charge of attempted second degree murder.

A legal expert says Louisiana has a very strong "stand your ground" law that could come into play in this case.

“All I know is that Merritt had told his family that he had said, 'Freeze!' and it looked like the guy turned at him and had his hand on his hip. Who knows?" said Landry’s neighbor, Charles Hazouri.

Arrest documents said Merritt Landry told police he approached 14-year-old Marshall Coulter from his front yard near his vehicle.

The police narrative in the arresting documents says, "…the victim made a thwarted move as if to reach for something."

And that's when Landry fired one shot, hitting Coulter in the head.

“It's really gonna boil down to whether this shooting was done in self defense,” said Loyola Law Professor Dane Ciolino.

According to Ciolino, that's how Louisiana's stand your ground law could come into play.

“Louisiana has a very strong stand your ground law, which means you have no duty whatsoever to retreat and the jury is not even permitted to consider the possibility of retreat,” he said.

The way the state's laws are written, where Landry and Coulter were standing has a big impact on the case. Louisiana's laws are easier on someone who shoots an intruder trying to break into their house.

Police said court documents in the case that the shell casing was found 30 feet away from the victim's blood.

“The state would argue that the distance between the victim and Mr. Landry that there was no necessity for the use of this force,” Ciolino continued, “Mr. Landry would argue no doubt that you can have 30 to 40 yards or feet between yourself and another person, but if that person has a gun, that space really is insignificant.”

In the meantime, the district attorney's office still has to screen the case and decide whether to charge Landry, and what to charge him with.

Landry's attorneys said he feels terrible about what happened, but that they're convinced he will be exonerated of any wrongdoing as facts come to light in the case.

Landry's bond was officially set at $100,000. He's been out on bond since Friday night.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure what this has to do with stand your ground if the guy was at home. Are you desperately looking for a better case?

What matters here is if the shoot'e is black and shooter is white. Or a light complexion minority where we can slide labeling him a creep ### cracker.

I am not sure what this has to do with stand your ground if the guy was at home. Are you desperately looking for a better case?
He's claiming SYG- (or the "Castle" law, which is the Louisiana version- you have a right to defend yourself in your castle.) The story made the New York Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/teen-shot-head-man-thought-burglar-police-article-1.1410613

According to that story, the kid, who was black (the shooter was white) had been charged previously with two robberies (both unarmed.) He wandered onto the dude's property, dude yells at him to "freeze!", the kid appears to reach for something, the shooter shoots him in the head with one bullet.

That's all according to the shooter; there are no witnesses, apparently.

Castle law is completely different than SYG. Castle law gives you rights inside your home. SYG is for outside of home. They just bring up SYG because there is an agenda to do so.

What matters here is if the shoot'e is black and shooter is white. Or a light complexion minority where we can slide labeling him a creep ### cracker.
We have to wait and see. He might be a white Hispanic with South African decent via Iran.

Him claiming "stand your ground" or "castle" or whatever is like me writing a book about dinosaurs and telling people I wrote it because grape flavored water inspired me to do so. Won't hold up.

BTW, based on these sketchy facts the shooter regardless of race is in deep doodoo.
Not sure you're right. This same claim has been used all the time by policeman. Whenever a kid ends up dead, we're told they were reaching for something, and the police thought it was a gun, so they fired first. Logically, why wouldn't a homeowner also be able to fire first based on the same conditions?

He's claiming SYG- (or the "Castle" law, which is the Louisiana version- you have a right to defend yourself in your castle.) The story made the New York Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/teen-shot-head-man-thought-burglar-police-article-1.1410613

According to that story, the kid, who was black (the shooter was white) had been charged previously with two robberies (both unarmed.) He wandered onto the dude's property, dude yells at him to "freeze!", the kid appears to reach for something, the shooter shoots him in the head with one bullet.

The castle doctrine and "stand your ground" are two distinct legal concepts.

OK. I'm just repeating what the two articles say.

Actually, to be exact: the shooter's attorneys are claiming self-defense. The local article (posted in the OP) has an "expert" attorney who says Stand Your Ground will be involved. The NY Daily News story mentions the castle defense.

Whatever the defense used, theoretically: if a strange teenager steps into your front yard, and you point your gun at him from 30 feet away and tell him to freeze, and then he appears to reach for a gun, do you have the right to shoot him? Is that self-defense, if you think he's reaching for a gun?

Sounds like a easy black and white case. Heck of a shot to the head. :2cents:

Whatever the defense used, theoretically: if a strange teenager steps into your front yard, and you point your gun at him from 30 feet away and tell him to freeze, and then he appears to reach for a gun, do you have the right to shoot him? Is that self-defense, if you think he's reaching for a gun?
Personally I think you need to see the gun or something that looks like a gun. If you're not close enough to see something, you're not in immediate danger.

That's the quintessential jury question. There are legal doctrines at play that would effect the instructions that the jury are given. In most states, if someone is committing a breaking and entering offense then the shooter is entitled to a presumption of a rational belief in the need for self-defense. And in stand your ground states, that rational belief is enough even if the shooter could have retreated to a safe area.

But in all cases, the jury has to find the shooter's subjective belief rational. And that could depend on whether it was dark out, etc.

Personally I think you need to see the gun or something that looks like a gun. If you're not close enough to see something, you're not in immediate danger.
Apparently 30 feet away is good enough for a head shot. How can you not be in immediate danger.

Seriously that is not obviously by reading the story.

BTW, based on these sketchy facts the shooter regardless of race is in deep doodoo.
Not sure you're right. This same claim has been used all the time by policeman. Whenever a kid ends up dead, we're told they were reaching for something, and the police thought it was a gun, so they fired first. Logically, why wouldn't a homeowner also be able to fire first based on the same conditions?
Because homeowners aren't cops. Cops are special and have their own set of rules.

aaaaaand heres 2 cents to add some class to the discussion

aaaaaand heres 2 cents to add some class to the discussion
Hey that is not easy, head shot at 30 feet, damn man that is good. By the way have you ever heard of the 21 foot rule?

Apparently 30 feet away is good enough for a head shot. How can you not be in immediate danger.

The head shot was either lucky or made by someone not threatened with plenty of time to line up the target. You shoot at the body for defense.

But what if he had a sniper rifle in his pocket?

Steps into your front yard or attempting to break into your vehicle? Kind of different situations..

The head shot was either lucky or made by someone not threatened with plenty of time to line up the target. You shoot at the body for defense.
im waiting to read about 2 cents being involved in a shooting....its just a matter of time

:yawn: Another local news story getting national attention it doesn't deserve.
Who are you to decide this? I think that, at least theoretically, it raises some very interesting questions.
It will be a year or two before the public has access to enough of the facts of the case to know what actually happened. Answering any questions, regardless of how interesting the questions are, until enough facts about what happened are known, only causes the "interesting questions" to be "answered" by a bunch of assumptions and assertations. But given that is entirely what your shtick here is made of, carry on and be who you are. I wouldn't expect anything different from you.

Who are you to decide this? I think that, at least theoretically, it raises some very interesting questions.
It will be a year or two before the public has access to enough of the facts of the case to know what actually happened. Answering any questions, regardless of how interesting the questions are, until enough facts about what happened are known, only causes the "interesting questions" to be "answered" by a bunch of assumptions and assertations. But given that is entirely what your shtick here is made of, carry on and be who you are. I wouldn't expect anything different from you.
Oh the irony. There is not a single person here who could have read the majority of your posts in the NSA thread, and then read this comment here, without bursting out laughing.

Jeez, glad I dont live in Louisiana
You might want to stay out of Texas also.

BK I appreciate messing with you but seriously I don't ever expect to have to shoot anyone, but if I or my wife have to defend ourselves or each other we will do that. A lot of people consider it living in a state of paranoia but we consider it being prepared.

A lot of bad stuff happens out there by blacks, whites, hispanics, white-blacks, black-whites, white hispanics and even white-asians and asian-blacks. Dude I don't care which category you fall into, if you come in my yard/house you are in my element not yours.

Oh the irony. There is not a single person here who could have read the majority of your posts in the NSA thread, and then read this comment here, without bursting out laughing.
The entire 11 year series of Cheers did not produce the amount of laughter you have produced here in the FFA in the past year alone.

I have 3 yappy little dogs (early warning system) and a decal on my front door (and car window) that says "Nothing Inside Is Worth Dying For" (link available if you want to purchase one).

If someone is stupid enough to ignore both then they are a danger to themselves and my family and deserve an intervention of one type or another.

Last edited by a moderator:

BK I appreciate messing with you but seriously I don't ever expect to have to shoot anyone, but if I or my wife have to defend ourselves or each other we will do that. A lot of people consider it living in a state of paranoia but we consider it being prepared.

A lot of bad stuff happens out there by blacks, whites, hispanics, white-blacks, black-whites, white hispanics and even white-asians and asian-blacks. Dude I don't care which category you fall into, if you come in my yard/house you are in my element not yours.
gun owners are definitely in a cult all unto themselves built on righteous paranoia. Lets hope you`re right and you never have to shoot someone for standing on your lawn

I have 3 yappy little dogs (early warning system) and a decal on my front door (and car window) that says "Nothing Inside Is Worth Dying For" (link available if you want to purchase one).

If someone is stupid enough to ignore both then they are a danger to themselves and my family and deserve an intervention of one type or another.
:lmao:

i have a 13 yo deaf pug and a sticker on my front door that reads ''welcome''

This is the same guy who posted in the gun control thread that he never opens the front door without a loaded gun in his hand.

gun owners are definitely in a cult all unto themselves built on righteous paranoia. Lets hope you`re right and you never have to shoot someone for standing on your lawn
Gun owners are not by any means a cult and if by "righteous paranoia" you mean some kind of religious thing, you are way off base with me. I would never shoot someone for standing on my lawn, but don't cross that 21 foot line without some kind of plausible explanation. :lmao:

Truth is, I would probably be the victim because I am too trusting, even to white-hispanics.

This is the same guy who posted in the gun control thread that he never opens the front door without a loaded gun in his hand.
oh remember that post :shock:

Yeah but you are a FBG badass and would just put them down with one punch. :tebow:

Gun owners are not by any means a cult and if by "righteous paranoia" you mean some kind of religious thing, you are way off base with me. I would never shoot someone for standing on my lawn, but don't cross that 21 foot line without some kind of plausible explanation. :lmao:

Truth is, I would probably be the victim because I am too trusting, even to white-hispanics.
by righteous paranoia i mean you feel justified in thinking there is a boogeyman around every corner that wants nothing more than to hurt you...and he deserves whatever he gets ...a bullet to the head preferably

Yeah but you are a FBG badass and would just put them down with one punch. :tebow:
not anymore...i grew up

OK. I'm just repeating what the two articles say.
Stop using articles, news reports, talk radio, etc. as bases for legal doctrines. They're often wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread