What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

kenbrell thompkins (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So regarding Thomkins in 25+ roster Dynasty waiver bids, I am at the point that I'm basically all-in on the guy. I hate to say it but, I will be exhausting my bid bucks on him if possible especially if I invested a pick in Dobson. There is obvious downside to this strategy but IF he hits, the payoff is huge. The thing with 25+ dynasty rosters is that nothing is available during the year in most cases. 9 times out of 10, the best acquisitions are before week 2 or 3 and after that there is nothing to spend your bucks on (outside of a Colin Kaep that occasionally happens). Personally, I just don't see many options emerging in my leagues worth saving bid bucks on. Shallow leagues are a totally different thing, but landing a potential contributor with a stud QB is a good thing in the circles I run.

What do you guys who play in larger leagues think is a reasonable bid for him?

So regarding Thomkins in 25+ roster Dynasty waiver bids, I am at the point that I'm basically all-in on the guy. I hate to say it but, I will be exhausting my bid bucks on him if possible especially if I invested a pick in Dobson. There is obvious downside to this strategy but IF he hits, the payoff is huge. The thing with 25+ dynasty rosters is that nothing is available during the year in most cases. 9 times out of 10, the best acquisitions are before week 2 or 3 and after that there is nothing to spend your bucks on (outside of a Colin Kaep that occasionally happens). Personally, I just don't see many options emerging in my leagues worth saving bid bucks on. Shallow leagues are a totally different thing, but landing a potential contributor with a stud QB is a good thing in the circles I run.

What do you guys who play in larger leagues think is a reasonable bid for him?
I'm in a 12 man league, 40 man rosters (idp) with 13 player DTS. I grabbed Thompkins for 1 FABB at beginning of off season. We get 75 per year and any unused rolls over.

I was offered 80 "snotes" (our FABB currency) and said no. But just gives an idea of what someone was willing to pay in a bit larger league.

Mentioned this is another thread, but to me while Thompkins has looked pretty good and any starter on a Tom Brady led team has value.....the real intriguing fantasy angle here is the fact that Amendola has shown a real propensity to get hurt.

This kid already has some bench standalone value....if Amendola goes down you gotta think this kid has to be a top 25 ppr receiving option on a weekly basis.

He's a great guy to stash on your bench but not have to depend on out of the gate. If you drafted last week you probably got good value...for those of you drafting this weekend you can basically ignore this post :)

He looks great tonight.
Why? What did he do in the two receptions? Did Dobson and Boyce look just as good?
Yes, Dobson and Boyce looked good tonight aswell, Mallet also looked good in comparison to the rest of the preseason.

But to answer your question, he just looked good, good separation and he moved well after the catch - he looked like he wasn't an undrafted free agent.

He looks great tonight.
Why? What did he do in the two receptions? Did Dobson and Boyce look just as good?
He also drew 2 pass interference penalties (one in the end zone) and I believe Brady missed him on another play he was open on.
Brady didnt play tonight. And of Thompkins 4 targets (2 catches) he drew zero PIs.

Last week he had 8 catches on 12 targets and on the 4 incompletes he drew zero penalties.

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks great tonight.
He also drew 2 pass interference penalties (one in the end zone) and I believe Brady missed him on another play he was open on.
Brady didnt play tonight. And of Thompkins 4 targets (2 catches) he drew zero PIs.

Last week he had 8 catches on 12 targets and on the 4 incompletes he drew zero penalties.
I don't remember exactly, but I'm fairly confident he is right (not about Brady, he didn't play a single down), I know for a fact he drew at least one PI call, but I thought he drew two.

He looks great tonight.

I don't remember exactly, but I'm fairly confident he is right, I know for a fact he drew at least one PI call, but I thought he drew two.
He did draw a holding/illegal contact that was declined on a catch.

Are we talking about week 1 or 2?

Are you talking about Boyce or Dobson?

He looks great tonight.

I don't remember exactly, but I'm fairly confident he is right, I know for a fact he drew at least one PI call, but I thought he drew two.
He did draw a holding/illegal contact that was declined on a catch.

Are we talking about week 1 or 2?

Are you talking about Boyce or Dobson?
We're talking about Thompkins, preseason week 4 - tonight vs the Giants.

TNF Giants v Pats play by play

(13:52) (Shotgun) 15-R.Mallett pass incomplete short left to 85-K.Thompkins. PENALTY on NYG-20-P.Amukamara, Defensive Pass Interference, 9 yards, enforced at NYG 49 - No Play.

(9:57) (Shotgun) 15-R.Mallett pass incomplete short right to 85-K.Thompkins. PENALTY on NYG-23-C.Webster, Defensive Pass Interference, 3 yards, enforced at NYG 4 - No Play.

ty shortbow,

for some reason I was expecting the penalty to be a continuation of the line for that play and not spaced into a different line.

Not to get too off topic of this thread, but I went into my draft tonight thinking all the Pats targets were a little underrated and decided I may just try to get all of them, virtually guaranteeing a couple solid starters.

I ended up missing out on Gronk (went mid 4th in 12 team PPR) but was able to nab Amendola (5), Vereen (8), Thompkins(10), and Sudfeld(14) without blowing a whole lot of premium type picks. (Dobson went undrafted.)

Especially in the first month when Gronk is out, there is a ton of potential for cheap production and you don't necessarily have to put your chips down on just one guy. If you believe in Brady and the NE passing offense, the move may be to get chips down on multiple guys to make are you are getting paid out and also to have some injury insurance.

Thompkins may be the best value right now, but targeting multiple Pats passing game targets is the way to go in my opinion.

bengalbuck said:
Not to get too off topic of this thread, but I went into my draft tonight thinking all the Pats targets were a little underrated and decided I may just try to get all of them, virtually guaranteeing a couple solid starters.

I ended up missing out on Gronk (went mid 4th in 12 team PPR) but was able to nab Amendola (5), Vereen (8), Thompkins(10), and Sudfeld(14) without blowing a whole lot of premium type picks. (Dobson went undrafted.)

Especially in the first month when Gronk is out, there is a ton of potential for cheap production and you don't necessarily have to put your chips down on just one guy. If you believe in Brady and the NE passing offense, the move may be to get chips down on multiple guys to make are you are getting paid out and also to have some injury insurance.

Thompkins may be the best value right now, but targeting multiple Pats passing game targets is the way to go in my opinion.
Agreed. I think there is so much uncertainty in the offense that people are just staying away. The price is right and those touches have to go somewhere and Amendola is an injury waiting to happen. I'm a little too Pat heavy like you..have Gronk as a keeper, picked up Sudfeld, drafted Thompkins and Vereen. Not sure how it's going to shake out and I fear a little of the bloom is off the Vereen rose and some of those targets may be split and pointed towards Thompkins.

I have to admit I'm getting pretty excited about Thompkins situation and the way he's looked in the preseason but I keep coming back to "good" historical production for rookies. Right now as owner of Thompkins in both my leagues that I've drafted so far I'm on the fence on whether I should deal him off the hype if I can package him up or if I should keep him. At this moment I'm leaning toward keeping him although I do have one offer out there trying to get Gordon for him.

The cream usually rises, and I think this kid is a legit talent. He may not get tons of targets right away, but dude will probably not be had any cheaper than this very second.

:yes:

A player or two in that receiving core is going to end up a major value in PPR leagues. (And that's even if Gronk is healthy)

bengalbuck said:

A player or two in that receiving core is going to end up a major value in PPR leagues. (And that's even if Gronk is healthy)

bengalbuck said:

Craig you've been around forever-no disrespect intended here: Why would you make a rookie/guppie type mistake and draft so many from one team? Do you have the Pats getting 40 points a game? What's your thinking here?

I personally projected KT for 760yds and 5TDs. Expecting much more than that is meaning he has a better season than the proven, pro bowl caliber Lloyd did last year and basically selling your soul to be on the hype train.

That has him end up as WR47 for me. Im guessing someone might pick him in my draft tonight before I would consider him, but I'll keep my eye on it. Where he was being drafted a couple weeks ago he was potentially a huge value. Now where he's going, you are pretty much taking away all his upside that he had to begin with. Im guessing there is a better chance Dobson ends up on my team than KT.
What?!?!? to the bolded. Lloyd was an inconsistant as they come imo.
Lloyd made an entire career out of learning from the best. It's very interesting how long he lasted in the NFL without outstanding production.

Bri said:
Craig_MiamiFL said:

bengalbuck said:

Craig you've been around forever-no disrespect intended here: Why would you make a rookie/guppie type mistake and draft so many from one team? Do you have the Pats getting 40 points a game? What's your thinking here?
Had great success in PPR leagues sewing up the pieces on high octane offenses. :shrug: Guppie mistake IMO is building teams around crappy offenses.

I wouldn't suggest it in leagues that start low # of players. Those formats don't appeal to me. Note these also aren't 2 RB-mandatory leagues (which I pretty much despise). Leagues I'm playing in I'm starting at least 5 WR -- and in a desperate bye week that I don't have the 1 QB flex available -- 6 WR.

Even in the 1 2-RB mandatory league I was a part of last year, I've had great success with the 2RB/3WR/1TE & 1 flex format locking down a highly prolific offense :shrug: Easily won the league last year with M.Ryan/Roddy/Julio/Gonzo. Double points for each TD. When a guy is throwing 32 TD's and 25 of them go to this trio....there's no better feeling that those 25 'double point' TD's.....

I'm not advising this strategy with some schmucks like Josh Freeman/Vincent Jackson/Mike Williams, Jake Locker/Kenny Britt, Mike Vick/Desean Jackson in PPR formats. Frankly you may as well have just flushed your entry fee down the toilet.

Someone is going to catch the ~400 completions Brady is going to have.....Brady's suddenly not going to turn into a gunslinger. He's not going to fall off a cliff in performance. I'm absolutely LOVING the prices for the pieces in that offense in PPR formats this year.

Keep this in mind: if you owned Brady/Ridley/Woodhead/Welker/Lloyd/Gronk/Hernandez last year, you had ~ QB3,RB15,RB23,WR7,WR22,TE5,TE15. You're going to win a lot of leagues with that -- that's not even taking into account other players drafted. It's fair to say the prices are MUCH lower this year. My mindset is as Brady goes.....so will this offense.

If your league is of any great starting roster size, I think you'd quickly see it's no guppy move.And see it quickly..

---------------------------

And keep in mind, some of us do play in differing format. (For example, all but 1 of my leagues are 1QB/1RB/1WR/1TE + 4 RB/WR/TE flex + 1 QB/RB/WR/TE flex). Absolutely love the format. I love pairing QB/WR/TE hookups. Strategy I won't be leaving behind anytime soon. Probably one of the biggest misconceptions about fantasy football -- you can't win with these hookups...

OK, OK, you guys have talked me into it. But my league has a relatively small bench. Would you drop Shorts or Givens to pick up Thompson? Ive also got Sudfeld (backing up Graham).

Bri said:
Craig_MiamiFL said:

bengalbuck said:

If you're going to load up on players from a single team, NE would be your best bet. On offense, they averaged the most YPG (4th passing, 7th rushing), lead the league in rushing TDs (4th in passing TDs) and unsurprisingly accounted for the most offensive snaps last year. There will be plenty of opportunity for all NE skill position players and I don't consider it a guppy move in the slightest.. especially relative to ADP.

OK, OK, you guys have talked me into it. But my league has a relatively small bench. Would you drop Shorts or Givens to pick up Thompson? Ive also got Sudfeld (backing up Graham).
I had to choose between Austin, Gordon, Thompkins and Givens today (for TB DST) and decided to go with Givens. I was hesitant to do it at first but I believe I made the right decision.

Bri said:
Craig_MiamiFL said:

bengalbuck said:

If you're going to load up on players from a single team, NE would be your best bet. On offense, they averaged the most YPG (4th passing, 7th rushing), lead the league in rushing TDs (4th in passing TDs) and unsurprisingly accounted for the most offensive snaps last year. There will be plenty of opportunity for all NE skill position players and I don't consider it a guppy move in the slightest.. especially relative to ADP.
I've never had so many NE players than I have this year. I have 4 on one team (Thompkins, Gronk, sudfeld, and Vereen) and I think they can all have value even after Gronk comes back. Everything is wide open on that offense this year and draft pick wise they are pennies on the dollar to their possible upside.

I'd take him over Givens, not Shorts.
This was my first take as well, then I reconsidered - at this point I would take him over both personally.
You think a rookie will put up better numbers than cecil shorts? Even with the horrible qb situation last year, ceceil shorts still nearly put up 1000 yards receiving. I have thompkins myself and like him but shorts could be a good wr2 this year. Don't really think that's possible for thompkins this year. Next year might be different.

I had to choose between Austin, Gordon, Thompkins and Givens today (for TB DST) and decided to go with Givens. I was hesitant to do it at first but I believe I made the right decision.
I take Gordon all day long there. I think he's gonna be great this year. He's being drafted at his floor, no risk and all upside.

I have Thompkins last of these 4. Not by much to Givens (10 pts), but both of them far behind Gordon and Austin (well far behind Miles, KT about the same as Tavon).

Gordon or (Miles) Austin would be the easy choice for me.

I take Gordon all day long there. I think he's gonna be great this year. He's being drafted at his floor, no risk and all upside.
Gordon no risk? He has plenty of it.

He is suspended 2 games. More could come.

Plus this-

Gordon appeared in Cleveland Municipal Court after being cited May 10 for going 45 mph in a 25 zone on West 25th Street near Potter Court. Gordon failed to make his initial court appearance and a warrant was issued but that was canceled Aug. 16. He was also cited Aug. 13 for going 98 in a 60 mph zone at Interstate 71 and West 150th Street.

A trial is set for 9 a.m. Sept. 10 in Judge Ronald Adrine's courtroom.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is risky business

I have Thompkins last of these 4. Not by much to Givens (10 pts), but both of them far behind Gordon and Austin (well far behind Miles, KT about the same as Tavon).

I really, really like the kid but I think he's getting overvalued now. He's being drafted at his ceiling in recent drafts.

We have a rookie keeper in our keeper league and I think I'm trying to deal him (trying to get him for Gordon). I just don't know that I see a huge upside to his game. I like guys who can get extra points thru physical RAC or big play guys. He looks more possession which has value but not the elite value I like to take shots at. I value Hopkins a ton more than I do Thompkins although they are only 10 picks apart. The concussion has me worried though.

Gordon no risk? He has plenty of it. He is suspended 2 games. More could come.

Plus this-

Gordon appeared in Cleveland Municipal Court after being cited May 10 for going 45 mph in a 25 zone on West 25th Street near Potter Court. Gordon failed to make his initial court appearance and a warrant was issued but that was canceled Aug. 16. He was also cited Aug. 13 for going 98 in a 60 mph zone at Interstate 71 and West 150th Street.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is risky business
He's your #3/4 wr in most leagues but the potential to be a mid wr2 IMO. His upside>>>>the risk. Most of your 9th - 10th round picks don't work anyway and are dropped for the ww darling week 3.

Plus this-

That is risky business
He's your #3/4 wr in most leagues but the potential to be a mid wr2 IMO. His upside>>>>the risk. Most of your 9th - 10th round picks don't work anyway and are dropped for the ww darling week 3.
True, but still not 'no risk.'

I really, really like the kid but I think he's getting overvalued now. He's being drafted at his ceiling in recent drafts.

We have a rookie keeper in our keeper league and I think I'm trying to deal him (trying to get him for Gordon). I just don't know that I see a huge upside to his game. I like guys who can get extra points thru physical RAC or big play guys. He looks more possession which has value but not the elite value I like to take shots at. I value Hopkins a ton more than I do Thompkins although they are only 10 picks apart. The concussion has me worried though.
Im assuming you mean Thompkins is being overvalued now and drafted at his ceiling, not Gordon, which I fully agree with.

Thompkins will have a fine season I think, but when he's going as a top 40 WR he really has lost much if not all of his value, IMO.

Gordon no risk? He has plenty of it.

He is suspended 2 games. More could come.

Plus this-

That is risky business
When was the last - or first time - a player got suspended or a current suspension increased because of a speeding ticket?

What Gordon needs to do is drop the bong. The speeding ticket doesnt worry me.

Sorry for the mix up guys, I meant I had to choose one to drop (trying to help Jedeye with his decision). It was between Thompkins and Givens but after taking some time to contemplate the choice I went with Givens. I hope I don't regret it but I kind of have an embarrassment of riches at the WR position in that league (10-teamer) as Miles, Gordon, Thompkins and Givens are/were my WRs 4, 5, 6 and 7 respectively.

As for Gordon, he really is all upside and is one of the first players I find myself targeting once I start filling out my bench.

Plus this-

That is risky business
What's Thompkins upside ? I consider a very good season for him to 70-850-6, essentially Lloyd from last year. You dont get great trade value with that and you dont win leagues with that. That's Gordons floor.

Plus this-

That is risky business
What's Thompkins upside ? I consider a very good season for him to 70-850-6, essentially Lloyd from last year. You dont get great trade value with that and you dont win leagues with that. That's Gordons floor.
Gordon's 'floor' is being suspended.

That's the risk with him.

He needs to make better choices.

Plus this-

That is risky business
His 'floor' is being suspended.

He needs to make better choices. That's the risk with him.
He does need to make better choices but in the worst case scenario you drop him for the waiver wire of the week. You have two swing for fences with your bench in the mid/late rounds. I will never draft a shonn Greene on my team, I will/have taken chrstine Michael a round or two later.

Personally, I'm done evaluating and ranking and (except for one, maybe two) drafting. I'm onto the new season. This has been quite a ride this offseason with you guys. EBF was the evil one for never giving KT a chance or for predicting more for Boyce or whatever the case may be...there were a ton of people that would have had a similar viewpoint to his. It was fun to jump on him at times and he was a good sport about it. We all could have very well been him saying the drafted guy would be the one to watch and all.

It's rare to be able to spot some UDFA and follow him and then watch him become something(what we don't know, but something)

I remember thinking who? with so many other no-name players and having to go dig for info and...this was unique. Big kudos to the NE press for their coverage.

This has been a fun ride this summer, thanks guys.

I'd take him over Givens, not Shorts.
This was my first take as well, then I reconsidered - at this point I would take him over both personally.
You think a rookie will put up better numbers than cecil shorts? Even with the horrible qb situation last year, ceceil shorts still nearly put up 1000 yards receiving. I have thompkins myself and like him but shorts could be a good wr2 this year. Don't really think that's possible for thompkins this year. Next year might be different.
Yes I do. Two reasons, one being his QB is Tom Brady, two being that I've been more impressed with Thompkin's performance so far (obviously it means little, being preseason and all) than Shorts performance thus far in his career.

I never liked Shorts, and maybe I'm not giving him the credit he deserves, but he was outplayed by Brian Hartline, who in every draft I've done this year was taken AFTER shorts. I would take Thompkins over both Shorts and Hartline, as well as Givens - and I believe his ceiling is higher than both as well.

There are fewer more overrated WRs in my opinion than Cecil Shorts, perhaps maybe Desean Jackson; or I'm wrong and the only WR more overrated is Thompkins. Nothing ventured...

In my most recent draft last Tuesday (redraft, 16 teams, 0.5 PPR, start 2 WR plus 1 flex), Thompkins was taken as the 40th WR drafted at 7.13. He was taken before a number of other WRs I rank higher: Britt, Vincent Brown, Blackmon, Sanders, and Patterson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread