What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Shark Pool in Decline - What happened? (2 Viewers)

What in the hell happened to the Shark Pool? What was once probably the best single resource for fantasy football anywhere - and frankly the reason I pay for an annual subscription despite the fact that the forums are free - has now degraded into a forum full of bickering and sniping and an endless chain of associated replies. Between the bickering and sniping, we're inundated with people's team information (cool story bro), which is usually worthless (yes, trade information can be valuable, useful). Others attempt to disguise "who do I start/trade" better suited for the Assistant Coach forum.

Why doesn't FBG moderate anymore? Cost? Interest? Too great a task to moderate properly?

A degraded FBG forum is a degraded FBG. I presume FBG realizes that the forums are often a potential customer's first look at FBG as a fantasy service.

There's still a great deal of valuable information in the Shark Pool but man it's just not worth wading through the garbage to get there.

Maybe it's time for an FBG members Shark Pool but I'm not sure that's the answer.

Been that way forever. There is still good info though. Just put certain users on ignore and you're good to go.

The fantasy football landscape has change a lot over the past 5 years. Every discussion can have a different impact based on Keeper/Redraft, PPR, IDP, Roster size, etc. The information and opinions no longer apply across the board. Which leads to mis-communication

Same as it ever was. There's always good info to be found here, and you've always had to dig sometimes to get it. I've been around long enough to know how to mentally filter, it's a key skill in getting the most out of this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think part of the reason is that you can't start a topic about anything without a bunch of people #####ing that the topic didn't need to be started and should be posted some other existing thread about the player involved, often dating back to 2012 or earlier. It really limits discussion, and there are far fewer new threads these days compared to years past.

What in the hell happened to the Shark Pool? What was once probably the best single resource for fantasy football anywhere - and frankly the reason I pay for an annual subscription despite the fact that the forums are free - has now degraded into a forum full of bickering and sniping and an endless chain of associated replies. Between the bickering and sniping, we're inundated with people's team information (cool story bro), which is usually worthless (yes, trade information can be valuable, useful). Others attempt to disguise "who do I start/trade" better suited for the Assistant Coach forum.

Why doesn't FBG moderate anymore? Cost? Interest? Too great a task to moderate properly?

A degraded FBG forum is a degraded FBG. I presume FBG realizes that the forums are often a potential customer's first look at FBG as a fantasy service.

There's still a great deal of valuable information in the Shark Pool but man it's just not worth wading through the garbage to get there.

Maybe it's time for an FBG members Shark Pool but I'm not sure that's the answer.
Do we have to do this every ####### year?

The only thing that has changed is your memory. Nothing has changed here at all. Take off your rose-colored nostalgia glasses and realize it has always been this way.

Same as it ever was. There's always good info to be found here, and you've always had to dig sometimes to get it. I've been around long enough to know how to mentally filter, it's a key skill in getting the most out of this forum.
Agreed. Pretty much what I was going to say.

Could be the case. Seems worse every year - or I get older and less patient each year. Some moderation could help though.

I think there's something to be said for the "blame twitter" response.

What in the hell happened to the Shark Pool? What was once probably the best single resource for fantasy football anywhere - and frankly the reason I pay for an annual subscription despite the fact that the forums are free - has now degraded into a forum full of bickering and sniping and an endless chain of associated replies.
Agreed, as a long time subscriber, the signal to noise ratio continues to get worse. There are some good opinions backed up by data that helps show where the differences are, but the number of stupid comments or obvious trolling make them a pain to find and read.

Recommendations:

- REAL moderation so that members do not feel obliged to do it or to tell others where to post or search for something

- A members only Shark Pool that allows those who pay their money to have the benefit of less filtering

- Tagging of items such as dynasty/keeper/redraft, or Standard/PPR/2 QB etc.

Agree with this as well. Only the names have changed to aliases. But there is still some good info from the locals that save me time from reading every beatwriter in the league. I still don't know how to ignore, but I can scroll past these remarks pretty quick.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

/discussion

Ironic that this thread is exactly what you're complaining about - Why not write an email to FBG directly instead of posting this?

I think part of the reason is that you can't start a topic about anything without a bunch of people #####ing that the topic didn't need to be started and should be posted some other existing thread about the player involved, often dating back to 2012 or earlier. It really limits discussion, and there are far fewer new threads these days compared to years past.
yeah

i am with this

Ironic that this thread is exactly what you're complaining about - Why not write an email to FBG directly instead of posting this?
I would rather he waste my time then FBG's time. they need to stay focused on football not thread management.

MODS, please move this post to the "Website Issues" subforum. TIA.

My favorite is when someone flames another user for not adding anything to the thread by simply quoting his post with a hugely sarcastic "great input". Love that one.

Could be the case. Seems worse every year - or I get older and less patient each year. Some moderation could help though.

This is where the biggest difference is imo. BS threads used to get shut down. Snarky responses weren't tolerated (remember Joe telling ppl to "turn the tool factor way down"?). Start a stupid fishing thread? Temp time out was coming. Mods packed it in.

And besides Adam and Greg, what mods do you see here anymore? MT occasionally. Has Wood posted anything since McNabb got traded from the Eagles? Pasquino?

My favorite is when someone flames another user for not adding anything to the thread by simply quoting his post with a hugely sarcastic "great input". Love that one.
Great input..... LOL I kid I kid.

Yeah when I was writing this I was aware that somebody might consider the post ironic.

I think there's value in raising the issue, however, and there's strength in numbers. I want the mayor of my town to resign but that's not going to happen without some critical mass (admittedly we attempted to recall her actually and that didn't work).

Yeah when I was writing this I was aware that somebody might consider the post ironic.

I think there's value in raising the issue, however, and there's strength in numbers. I want the mayor of my town to resign but that's not going to happen without some critical mass (admittedly we attempted to recall her actually and that didn't work).
Its all good Sandeman you just need to vent.

This is where the biggest difference is imo. BS threads used to get shut down. Snarky responses weren't tolerated (remember Joe telling ppl to "turn the tool factor way down"?). Start a stupid fishing thread? Temp time out was coming. Mods packed it in.

And besides Adam and Greg, what mods do you see here anymore? MT occasionally. Has Wood posted anything since McNabb got traded from the Eagles? Pasquino?
I do remember those days. They were good days.

Do we have to do this every ####### year?

The only thing that has changed is your memory. Nothing has changed here at all. Take off your rose-colored nostalgia glasses and realize it has always been this way.
That's what I love about shark poolers, man. I get older, they stay the same age...

Hoping for more than that but I'm aware that it's not likely. Nevertheless, FBG is a business and I presume they value input from its members, particularly those that have been here since the yellow boards and pay for a subscription.

Hoping for more than that but I'm aware that it's not likely. Nevertheless, FBG is a business and I presume they value input from its members, particularly those that have been here since the yellow boards and pay for a subscription.
I think toleration needs to be practiced in any forum setting. I like all of it... useless comments, fascinating information, humor,. venting. I suggest you help some people out on the assistant coach forum I find that to be very gratifying as well.

I think toleration needs to be practiced in any forum setting. I like all of it... useless comments, fascinating information, humor,. venting. I suggest you help some people out on the assistant coach forum I find that to be very gratifying as well.
Serious questions.

Were you on these boards when there was more moderation? If so, do you think the boards are better today?

Do you pay for a subscription?

What is so surprising (and disappointing) is that innerweb message boards are pretty much known for facilitating responsible, reasonable, on topic discussions of the pertinent issues.

Serious questions.

Were you on these boards when there was more moderation? If so, do you think the boards are better today?

Do you pay for a subscription?
I pay for a subscription

this is my second year so I probably was not on when they were moderated but I enjoy the threads as is.

What is so surprising (and disappointing) is that innerweb message boards are pretty much known for facilitating responsible, reasonable, on topic discussions of the pertinent issues.
There are good, even great, message boards out there but I agree that they are extremely rare. This one used to be good, or at least considerably better than it is.

I understand what you're saying, but the SP was supposed to be above that and the standard FBG response was "I'm sure there's a board out there that better suits what you're looking for. Have a nice season".

I have to agree, way too many threads deteriorate into little squabbles that aren't relevant to the original thread. And these spats seem to go on for pages, no moderators in site. Yes, it's happened for years but I think it's at an all time high... or low if you prefer, I guess there's just a lot of immature puffed up tools playing fantasy football.

I have to agree, way too many threads deteriorate into little squabbles that aren't relevant to the original thread. And these spats seem to go on for pages, no moderators in site. Yes, it's happened for years but I think it's at an all time high... or low if you prefer, I guess there's just a lot of immature puffed up tools playing fantasy football.
I guess there are....

maybe the influx of degenerate gamblers from the fanduel cashgrab is the issue!

(i really don't think there is an issue, the super thinned skinned vigillante wanna be moderators are the most annoying thing to me...'omg this is a thinly veiled attempt at who should i start, banish the perp to the AC forum FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!')

(i also want a bit of fun and funny in my shark pool)

maybe the influx of degenerate gamblers from the fanduel cashgrab is the issue!

(i really don't think there is an issue, the super thinned skinned vigillante wanna be moderators are the most annoying thing to me...'omg this is a thinly veiled attempt at who should i start, banish the perp to the AC forum FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!')

(i also want a bit of fun and funny in my shark pool)
Amen Brother.

Users who are viewing this thread