What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Don't Sleep on Seattle (1 Viewer)

I will not be starting anyone not named Marshawn Lynch from Seattle this year.

...and I don't even own him in any leagues. They may be solid but so were the 49ers last year and they didn't create much Fantasy Relevance.

Speaking if Lynch, are there any updates on his injury from the homers?

I am willing to start Lynch (or turbin) and possibly wilson as a bye week fill in. I think Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin, and Sidney Rice are talented, but no idea if either will even be relevant.

I'd start the Seattle D, and Lynch (Turbin if Lynch is out) for sure. If Wilson is the real deal, he could be start able, as could Braylon Edwards in the right league (12+team leagues).

I can't imagine why anyone would be high on captain bricks for hands Braylon Edwards. While Wilson had a good preseason, let's not get ahead of ourselves. The cam-smith rookie-veteran storyline is an intriguing discussion, I don't think anyone equates that to Wilson-Rice. Lynch. is still a great RB in Seattle, that hasn't changed since last year. Golden Tate will develop, but he hasn't turned that many heads. The defense was good last year as well. It is always hard for an offense to click @ Seattle. I wish every my Cowboys had stadium support like that. In my opinion they have marginally improved over last year, and even that is a wild speculation, because no one has actually seen a full game.

This year should be much improved, though who knows with replacement refs.
Interesting point. How will the refs affect the WR and CB play? If the preseason was an indicator I'm thinking the CBs will get away with a lot of contact. What's your perception after seeing the preseason games?

'Hooper31 said:
This year should be much improved, though who knows with replacement refs.
Interesting point. How will the refs affect the WR and CB play? If the preseason was an indicator I'm thinking the CBs will get away with a lot of contact. What's your perception after seeing the preseason games?
Funny, I was thinking the exact opposite. I think CBs will get called for anything that looks remotely like they touched the WR. To make matters worse for DBs, the replacement refs seem to be missing holding off the edge quite a bit. I think this means downfield passing will be huge until the real refs get back.

Lynch is already done, will be a bust this year.
typical mentality of a sharkpool poster... 1 small sign of a minor problem and they are ready to jump ship. if lynch is a bust that would only be because Turbin takes over, which i doubt.

Pete Carroll just seems like a guy who will be a .500-type NFL coach forever. SEA I think is a 9 win team who knows though in the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000080294/article/tom-brady-trashtalked-by-richard-sherman-after-loss?campaign=Twitter_rosenthal_brady

The defense has a huge attitude and they let Brady have it today. I really respected how Brady handled himself after the game. He gave Wilson a very sincere "good game" after the game ended. Say what you want about Tom, but he is a classy guy.

Tom Brady trash-talked by Richard Sherman after loss

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

Published: Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:34 p.m.

Updated: Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:26 p.m.

Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman is a future Pro Bowl player, and that future might start this year. After perhaps the best performance of his young career Sunday against the New England Patriots, the guy was feeling like the champion of the world.

"We're built for a heavyweight fight," Sherman said after the Seahawks' 24-23 victory over the Patriots, via the Seattle Times. "I don't think they're built for a heavyweight fight."

Sherman was only getting started. First, he went here on Twitter:

Richard Sherman

@RSherman_25

Brady sure looks like a man who turned the 12thMan against us pic.twitter.com/FeAFs78Q

14 Oct 12

Retweet

Favorite

And then he came really strong:

Richard Sherman

@RSherman_25

He told me and earl to see him after the game when they win..... I found him after.... pic.twitter.com/L6ndXKb9

14 Oct 12

Retweet

Favorite

Wow. The temptation here is to point out that Tom Brady is one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, and Richard Sherman, who had an interception Sunday, is just a second-year pro. But we have to admit we love the attitude of this Seahawks defense.

They are a different team to prepare for. They are physical, with great depth. Their secondary is massive.

They will fight to the fourth quarter, and they'll tell you about it afterward.

You guys watching the 'Hawks? They are going to be the scariest team to play against in the playoffs.
Defense is great and when the offense is rolling(which will be the key), they look like a SB contender. I still think they lack an explosive WR to be considered a true SB contender, but they could definitely win a playoff game if they get in.

Ya, when the offense starts rolling........58 last week and 47 so far in the 3rd quarter. I can't wait until they start rolling.

You guys watching the 'Hawks? They are going to be the scariest team to play against in the playoffs.
Defense is great and when the offense is rolling(which will be the key), they look like a SB contender. I still think they lack an explosive WR to be considered a true SB contender, but they could definitely win a playoff game if they get in.

Ya, when the offense starts rolling........58 last week and 47 so far in the 3rd quarter. I can't wait until they start rolling.

I think you misunderstood....

No one wants to play this team right now, home or away. If they get lucky and and win the division or get really lucky and get the number 2 seed, then I would put them as my super bowl favorite in the NFC.

It's the Bills :shrug:
dYou're right. It's not like it's the Patriots, Packers, Cowboys, or Vikings.
Or Bears at Soldier Field
I don't really consider that one anything special. Afterall, the Packers just beat them at Soldier Field and we all know what we did to the Packers.

In your dreams, Seattle won't even win 8 games.
I think Seattle is very underrated and will win more than 8 games.They have good talent at every positionStrong running gameGood, potentially great defense DepthA passing game that has pieces in place that just need to be developed/stay healthy: Zach Miller, Sidney Rice, Doug Baldwin, Braylon Edwards, Golden Tate, Anthony McCoy.
No they won't. Look at their schedule.Running game is done, I drafted Lynch.Like some overrated rookie qb is going to win 9 games.Would bet 10k easy on it.
:X

I like where my home team is going, but I still see some problems that keep them from being an elite NFL power. Oddly enough, I see so many people go nuts over the defense, but that's where I see the problems. I think the Seattle offense is going to be the more predictable side of the ball.

Here are some items that are still issues in my opinion.

1. People keep raving about our secondary, but I can't get past two specific issues. CB Brandon Browner is a penalty waiting to happen each snap. He was second in the the league in penalties last year (16 for 150 yards) and I won't be shocked to see him be there again. Remember, almost every penalty on a CB is a first down. Secondly, SS Kam Chancellor isn't fast enough to stay with the faster TEs in the NFL like Davis and Walker in SF. That said, I think CB Richard Sherman is special and the rest of the NFL will find out in the very near future. FS Earl Thomas? Potential HOF career.

2. The defensive line is still a question mark, and really still an experiment. DE Red Bryant is freakishly large. They moved him from DT to DE to create an enormous defensive line that would stop the run on early downs. This is supposed to set up long passing downs where they can pin their ears back and go after the passer. Last year when Bryant was healthy they were able to put teams in lots of third and longs, but the pass rush just wasn't there. Enter rookie DE Bruce Irvin. Will he be an effective attacker off the edge? Will they be able to create all the turnovers out of these situations? Perhaps...

Here are some items that aren't issues in my opinion.

1. Rookie MLB Wagner should be fine. He runs well to the ball and puts ball carriers on the ground.

2. Depth on the offensive side of the ball is great. I think they can absorb injuries across each position group and still be fine.

3. Wilson is exactly the player that Pete Carroll has been looking for. He's a game manager with big play potential. He'll limit turnovers. He'll be accurate hitting his TEs and RBs on the lion's share of his passes. He'll take his chances down field. He'll move the sticks with his ability to scramble.
This guy knows his home team.

I like where my home team is going, but I still see some problems that keep them from being an elite NFL power. Oddly enough, I see so many people go nuts over the defense, but that's where I see the problems. I think the Seattle offense is going to be the more predictable side of the ball.

1. People keep raving about our secondary, but I can't get past two specific issues. CB Brandon Browner is a penalty waiting to happen each snap. He was second in the the league in penalties last year (16 for 150 yards) and I won't be shocked to see him be there again. Remember, almost every penalty on a CB is a first down. Secondly, SS Kam Chancellor isn't fast enough to stay with the faster TEs in the NFL like Davis and Walker in SF. That said, I think CB Richard Sherman is special and the rest of the NFL will find out in the very near future. FS Earl Thomas? Potential HOF career.

2. The defensive line is still a question mark, and really still an experiment. DE Red Bryant is freakishly large. They moved him from DT to DE to create an enormous defensive line that would stop the run on early downs. This is supposed to set up long passing downs where they can pin their ears back and go after the passer. Last year when Bryant was healthy they were able to put teams in lots of third and longs, but the pass rush just wasn't there. Enter rookie DE Bruce Irvin. Will he be an effective attacker off the edge? Will they be able to create all the turnovers out of these situations? Perhaps...

1. Rookie MLB Wagner should be fine. He runs well to the ball and puts ball carriers on the ground.

2. Depth on the offensive side of the ball is great. I think they can absorb injuries across each position group and still be fine.

3. Wilson is exactly the player that Pete Carroll has been looking for. He's a game manager with big play potential. He'll limit turnovers. He'll be accurate hitting his TEs and RBs on the lion's share of his passes. He'll take his chances down field. He'll move the sticks with his ability to scramble.
You sorta whiffed on the first sentence, though it's a good thing you weren't right!

You sorta whiffed on the first sentence, though it's a good thing you weren't right!
Agreed. :)

Its cool to be optimistic about your team, but SB contenders??? HAHAHA!!! The Hawks will be lucky to finish .500 this year. Their schedule is not easy. I know Hawks fans are all fired up about the D and Wilson, but you might wanna wait a bit till you start talkin SB. Seems way premature at this point.
A lot of people on page one look silly. :goodposting: OP!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a quick look back at my concerns about the season and where I think they stand today...

I'm cautiously optimistic, but there are a lot of questions still:1. It's either Flynn or Wilson and neither have proven they can consistently do it during the season. Both are better than T-Jack but what does that translate to? T-Jack was specifically told not to be aggressive last year. Does more aggressive playcalling lead to a better team? I'm not sure I trust Darrell Bevell yet. Wilson should get the nod to start however, even if this means we suffer some growing pains.
Well, Wilson so far has proven to be an effective QB for sure and bordering on the top 1/3 of the league. The real question here is whether he's going to continue to improve on the trajectory he's currently on or if there is going to be a plateau of sorts. The read-option we're running right now is actually not helping his progression and I feel like for him to take the next step he really needs to start with his adjustments at the line. But does he have that capability? Yes, and I'm pretty sure of it.
2. Did the offense improve enough to stay on the field longer? We lost the TOP often last year which meant a tired defense had to hold up. If we can sustain more drives this will greatly help the defense. If it's a lot of 3 and outs and FGs I'm not sure we're going to improve much over last year.
With the addition of a "real" QB it is now clear that this was a big missing component from last year. I also think Russell Okung's improvement this year has been a real big reason as well. Our line still has some issues with pass protection, but as a running O-line they seem to be doing well. I would hate to see Tom Cable go anytime soon.And rest for the defense has made a huge difference as evidenced by the #1 scoring defense in the league. Right now I feel like if the defense can hold a team to < 23 points we win any game.
3. Did the pass rush improve? Maybe we aren't showing our hand yet, but Bruce Irvin hasn't wowed me yet. He's certainly fast and he's made a few pressures, but that bull rush isn't going to cut it alone. It is worth mentioning that Jason Jones looks great so far and he'll have a big impact on things.
Irvin impressed for sure, but only in spurts. He got his sacks in clumps and hasn't been extremely consistent, but as a spot starter I'm not sure if that would be expected either. Jason Jones looked good while healthy, however once he started getting hurt it was a big problem. I think interior pass rush is still a miss on this team and I expect a DT to be picked in the 1st round next year (I'm pretty sure this is a deep class for DTs as well). I also think we re-sign Jones for a two year deal if we can get him for a reasonable cost.
4. Did we find depth for Red Bryant? Red was unstoppable for run defense last year and stayed healthy, but I think we're some bad luck away from being one of the best run stuffing defense to being one of the worst.
We didn't need the depth for Bryant this year, but I'm always concerned. Without Red this defense because exposable and ultimately we need to change our entire defensive philosophy as evidenced by when he was dealing with a foot issue during this year.
5. I'm not sold on our WRs yet. I've heard this is Golden Tate's year, Sidney Rice will stay healthy, that Braylon Edwards is back to form, and that Doug Baldwin's hamstring isn't a big deal. So far, there's too much "best scenario" going on here. The entire team has better depth, but I feel like this can be a big area of concern if some of these guys start dropping off. We can't keep both Edwards and TO as we won't have special teams players.
Well, this was crazy. While the WRs didn't put up crazy numbers (and I'm not sure we would have expected them to with the number of times we throw) they certainly showed that they are a good corps. Golden Tate looks great after the catch and has suddenly been able to make big catches. Rice shows that he has the athleticism to be a #1 and has remained healthy for the most part. Baldwin is everything we hoped he'd be as a slot receiver and is a tough matchup for most nickel CBs, although he's had health problems this year. I also like that Zach Miller and Anthony McCoy have been re-introduced as sneaky threats from time to time--but I still think we could use more production out of the TEs.
Like I said, I'm cautiously optimistic and if they can keep healthy and the right things fall in place they will win the NFC West. Otherwise, we'll improve on paper and look to next year where we hopefully start focusing solely on WRs. I do foresee splitting games with SF this year, which will be an improvement.
We were so close to an NFC West title that it was a little tough to take. If the ARI games were reversed (we play in Arizona at the end of the year) I think we take both of the games because the 12th Man would have willed us to a victory in week 1 and Russell had enough experience for the week 14 turkey shoot away from home.I still think we need to reconsider our base defense--the LEO works now but I feel in just a year or two it is going to be an issue. The lack of blitzing has been irritating, but has worked so far (I'm really hoping we unleash some blitzes this weekend against ATL). Our secondary is our strength and with a young LB corps I'm excited for the future as long as we keep investing in the D-line.On offense we need to invest a mid-round pick in a WR. This is the area where we seem the "weakest" looking into the future as Golden's contract coming up and Rice starts to hit the expensive part of his contract. Given how little we use our WRs there seems to be a successful amount of money tied up in the WRs but once the rookie contracts end we're going to need more cheap production.As weird as this is going to be to say, we also need to think about drafting a kicker. Usually I'm not down with the idea at all and just grabbing someone off the FA list, but with a strong defense and low scoring games we really need someone reliable and can get some distance on the kicks. I don't think Hauschka is that guy. Otherwise, Jon Ryan is reaching legend in Seattle circles and our coverage is strong. Leon Washington might end up being an expendable piece next year if we get a dynamic returner for a WR understudy, which is too bad but he's expensive for a pure returner.Anyway, the future looks bright but we're still many pieces away from the idea of being a strong yearly Superbowl contender. Right now, we're just a contender for the NFC West title.

Its cool to be optimistic about your team, but SB contenders??? HAHAHA!!! The Hawks will be lucky to finish .500 this year. Their schedule is not easy. I know Hawks fans are all fired up about the D and Wilson, but you might wanna wait a bit till you start talkin SB. Seems way premature at this point.
A lot of people on page one look silly. :goodposting: OP!!
I was wrong. the hawks have played well. Good running game. Dirty D. Putting Wilson in a position to succeed. Congrats.Personally, I will be rooting against them in every game, and I'm sure you dont care, but I'm telling you anyway. Theres just something about the hawks..........obnoxious fans........players pushing and shoving, acting like a-holes. rah rah pete. I shudder to think what this bored will look like if they win the SB.

Hard to not be a fan of Wilson, but I'm glad they lost. Dude will make them contenders for years. Russ>>>>Cam. Who would've guessed that?

You all watched this years Super Bowl Champion. They were missing 4 starters last night, Browner, Clemons, Irvin, and Harvin and all 4 will be back soon. How can anyone bet against these guys right now? And please.....save the Broncos talk......even though it was a pre-season game, the Hawks made Peyton and company look silly 41-10 this year already. Peyton and the first team looked like little boys against the Seattle defense.

You all watched this years Super Bowl Champion. They were missing 4 starters last night, Browner, Clemons, Irvin, and Harvin and all 4 will be back soon. How can anyone bet against these guys right now? And please.....save the Broncos talk......even though it was a pre-season game, the Hawks made Peyton and company look silly 41-10 this year already. Peyton and the first team looked like little boys against the Seattle defense.
Long season long season.

The key is if they get homefield advantage, but that win in Carolina wasn't exactly as sparkling as last night.

Users who are viewing this thread