What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (4 Viewers)

Dinner @ Akershus
Personally, I would go somewhere else. ANYWHERE else.
:goodposting:

UNLESS, your daughter is intent on seeing all the princesses
there are worse things than seeing some of those princesses

(is that weird?)
They seem to do a good job hiring Belles. Beyond that, I've been underwhelmed by most of them. Jasmine should be a slam dunk chub, but somehow they've even managed to screw up most of them imo.
Big fan of this Jasmine. Plus my my daughter is copping a feel

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-NauNwAnU5v8/UJskRkroN2I/AAAAAAAAIM8/bF8JAeZGWHc/w364-h547-no/_DSC0771.JPG
:lmao:

Dinner @ Akershus

(is that weird?)
They seem to do a good job hiring Belles. Beyond that, I've been underwhelmed by most of them. Jasmine should be a slam dunk chub, but somehow they've even managed to screw up most of them imo.
Big fan of this Jasmine. Plus my my daughter is copping a feel

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-NauNwAnU5v8/UJskRkroN2I/AAAAAAAAIM8/bF8JAeZGWHc/w364-h547-no/_DSC0771.JPG
For that, I'd eat at Akershus again.

To be clear, I meant the ability to grope a Jasmine. Not seeing your daughter grope a Jasmine.

Just to be safe, I wouldn't let Homer see that picture, Acer.

Dinner @ Akershus
:goodposting: UNLESS, your daughter is intent on seeing all the princesses

(is that weird?)
WDW >>>> Disneyland overall, and in most apples-to-apples comparisons. One area where Disneyland wins over WDW is princess hotness. The Cinderellas and Ariels especially were just stunning. I guess that's an advantage of the LA location. I am impressed that Disney has learned to run the gamut in this category.

You like blondes? Cinderella and Rapunzel.

You like brunettes? Belle and Snow White.

You like redheads? Ariel and Merida.

You like spinners? Tinkerbell and Rosetta.

You like exotic princesses of color? Jasmine and Tiana.

You like the Asianed? Mulan and the queue for just about any ride or attraction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am impressed that Disney has learned to run the gamut in this category.You like blondes? Cinderella and Rapunzel.

You like the Asianed? Mulan and the queue for just about any ride or attraction.
Don't forget Pocahontas. Not sure if she's still there, but there used to be a pretty solid Pocahontas stationed in the Planet Watch area of Animal Kingdom. She can be added to the exotic category.

Two other additions... Mary Poppins and Aurora (Sleeping Beauty).

I am impressed that Disney has learned to run the gamut in this category.You like blondes? Cinderella and Rapunzel.

Don't forget Pocahontas. Not sure if she's still there, but there used to be a pretty solid Pocahontas stationed in the Planet Watch area of Animal Kingdom. She can be added to the exotic category.

Pocahontas

Like i said, it happens. We'll still go, he loved the place. We'll still have a great time, it'll just be more work.

i am glad we got him there this summer though!
I'm willing to bet they still work with people with disabled children and go out of their way for that. The problem is the "group" of 15 where the fat person on the scooter gets the entire group in front of everyone else, and then the people who are using others to their disabled "family member." Disney isn't stupid. They will figure this out. It wasn't always this bad. It's become unbearable the last 5 years or so.

Like i said, it happens. We'll still go, he loved the place. We'll still have a great time, it'll just be more work.

i am glad we got him there this summer though!
I'm willing to bet they still work with people with disabled children and go out of their way for that. The problem is the "group" of 15 where the fat person on the scooter gets the entire group in front of everyone else, and then the people who are using others to their disabled "family member." Disney isn't stupid. They will figure this out. It wasn't always this bad. It's become unbearable the last 5 years or so.
yup, i have faith in them

Alice in England always played by a younger petite blond.

Alice in England always played by a younger petite blond.
I routinely tell my wife and friends that they have those damn princesses as one big setup to make dad drool and spend money to see them. I swear there was a Jasmin in Morocco once that had me hypnotized and just my wife spend money in the stores without caring.

Looks like Disney is cracking down on people abusing the handicap line-skippers.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/23/travel/disney-disability-policy-changes/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) -- Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resort will no longer allow visitors with disabilities instant access to rides, starting next month, in an attempt to reduce abuse of the policy. Under the current policy, Disney visitors can get a guest assistance card that grants quicker access to rides, often entering through exit doors to bypass the main lines.There were widespread reports of able-bodied people abusing the policy. Some wealthy park visitors were hiring disabled people to pretend to be family members so they could skip lines, the New York Post reported in May.
I've been hearing about this for a few days now. It's a shame, as it will probably impact our ability to go to the park from here on out. My son has Autism and anxiety disorder and the long wait for rides is something he has a hard time handling. The Guest Assistance passes have never been an instant access pass, but they shortened the wait enough for him to handle it. Going to a system where he'll have to wait until later in the day to ride something will throw him into meltdown mode. Not to mention the fact that I'm sure they'll limit the amount of passes you can get for a ride, and considering he only rides about 7 or 8 things total in all the parks combined, it just won't be worth it. It'll end up causing him more distress than anything. :cry:
If I am reading it correctly, you still wont have to wait in line. I would imagine that you go during less crowded times so it really shouldnt matter then. Really what this will cut down on is people abusing the system during really crowded times.
Right. I won't have to wait in line. The problem is the line is only part of the issue. The waiting is the bigger problem. Under this program, we'll have to walk up to the ride that my son desperately wants to go on to get a pass and then deal with the meltdown when he realizes we have to wait until sometime later in the day to ride it. Just awesome. I understand where Disney is coming from here, it just makes me sad that because people want to job the system, it's going to ruin an experience that my son literally talks about 4-5 times a week. Every single week, all year long.
You will get your pass at a kiosk, not at the ride. If you go during less crowded times you wont have any issues. Wait times are frequently less than 20 minutes during these times. It can take 20 minutes just to get from one ride to another. You could go to the kiosk, get your time, and wander over to the ride you want to go on, and then go right on it. Then after the ride you will be able to go back to a kiosk and get another time.If you simply look at this news now as the end of disney for you and more importantly your son, it will be. This isnt meant to prohibit you and your son from enjoying disney. This is meant to keep people that aren't disabled from literally plowing through every single attraction during the most crowded times during the year and never having to wait in line.
What if we cannot go during less crowded times?

I understand why they had to change, because people like Woz's mother in law suck.

And I assume they'll do things as best they can, but it will hamper us. Waiting is not something my son does well. He also cannot tolerate being in a park from open to close, we have a limited window of time where we have to try and see/do what we want. The awesome thing for me about Disney was it was one of the few places in the world we could do that. We kept him busy, had no meltdowns, got do see almost all we wanted, and got him into a calm down situation.

We'll still be able to go, but now it will be like every other park, a lot of waiting, trying to plan/schedule with a child who is by nature a disruption to plans, and having to leave without doing a lot of what we want because he simply cannot handle it

is that the end of the world? Nope, it is kind of your life when you have a disabled child. The magic of this past trip to disney is that for a week we found a place where that was not our life.We had an awesome trip and things were easy and Ethan got to do everything he wanted, it was a dream

I understand the change, i am not mad about it, but the fact is that because people are just ####ty the "dream" vacation has just become a lot more complicated. Everything is more complicated with a disabled child, going out to dinner, a trip to the zoo, a trip to a pumpkin farm. Disney found a way to not be on that list, until people ruined it. Unfortunately that's part of life, a lot of people suck.
Well stated, thank you. I always hesitate to get involved in conversations like this because I don't like even the slightest bit of coming across as the guy who expects the whole world to bend over backwards for their kid. That's not the case at all. But Disney was the one place that seemed to go out of their way to make sure kids like him had the best time of their lives. Accomodating his inability to handle long waits made that possible. I'm sure we'll still go again, but it won't be as easy.

I agree that I'm not mad at Disney for making the change. I will say I am shocked that Autism Speaks had anything to do with working with them on the plan. It makes me wonder if anyone at AS has ever seen a kid with Autism...

Looks like Disney is cracking down on people abusing the handicap line-skippers.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/23/travel/disney-disability-policy-changes/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) -- Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resort will no longer allow visitors with disabilities instant access to rides, starting next month, in an attempt to reduce abuse of the policy. Under the current policy, Disney visitors can get a guest assistance card that grants quicker access to rides, often entering through exit doors to bypass the main lines.There were widespread reports of able-bodied people abusing the policy. Some wealthy park visitors were hiring disabled people to pretend to be family members so they could skip lines, the New York Post reported in May.
I've been hearing about this for a few days now. It's a shame, as it will probably impact our ability to go to the park from here on out. My son has Autism and anxiety disorder and the long wait for rides is something he has a hard time handling. The Guest Assistance passes have never been an instant access pass, but they shortened the wait enough for him to handle it. Going to a system where he'll have to wait until later in the day to ride something will throw him into meltdown mode. Not to mention the fact that I'm sure they'll limit the amount of passes you can get for a ride, and considering he only rides about 7 or 8 things total in all the parks combined, it just won't be worth it. It'll end up causing him more distress than anything. :cry:
If I am reading it correctly, you still wont have to wait in line. I would imagine that you go during less crowded times so it really shouldnt matter then. Really what this will cut down on is people abusing the system during really crowded times.
Right. I won't have to wait in line. The problem is the line is only part of the issue. The waiting is the bigger problem. Under this program, we'll have to walk up to the ride that my son desperately wants to go on to get a pass and then deal with the meltdown when he realizes we have to wait until sometime later in the day to ride it. Just awesome. I understand where Disney is coming from here, it just makes me sad that because people want to job the system, it's going to ruin an experience that my son literally talks about 4-5 times a week. Every single week, all year long.
You will get your pass at a kiosk, not at the ride. If you go during less crowded times you wont have any issues. Wait times are frequently less than 20 minutes during these times. It can take 20 minutes just to get from one ride to another. You could go to the kiosk, get your time, and wander over to the ride you want to go on, and then go right on it. Then after the ride you will be able to go back to a kiosk and get another time.If you simply look at this news now as the end of disney for you and more importantly your son, it will be. This isnt meant to prohibit you and your son from enjoying disney. This is meant to keep people that aren't disabled from literally plowing through every single attraction during the most crowded times during the year and never having to wait in line.
What if we cannot go during less crowded times?

I understand why they had to change, because people like Woz's mother in law suck.

And I assume they'll do things as best they can, but it will hamper us. Waiting is not something my son does well. He also cannot tolerate being in a park from open to close, we have a limited window of time where we have to try and see/do what we want. The awesome thing for me about Disney was it was one of the few places in the world we could do that. We kept him busy, had no meltdowns, got do see almost all we wanted, and got him into a calm down situation.

We'll still be able to go, but now it will be like every other park, a lot of waiting, trying to plan/schedule with a child who is by nature a disruption to plans, and having to leave without doing a lot of what we want because he simply cannot handle it

is that the end of the world? Nope, it is kind of your life when you have a disabled child. The magic of this past trip to disney is that for a week we found a place where that was not our life.We had an awesome trip and things were easy and Ethan got to do everything he wanted, it was a dream

I understand the change, i am not mad about it, but the fact is that because people are just ####ty the "dream" vacation has just become a lot more complicated. Everything is more complicated with a disabled child, going out to dinner, a trip to the zoo, a trip to a pumpkin farm. Disney found a way to not be on that list, until people ruined it. Unfortunately that's part of life, a lot of people suck.
Well stated, thank you. I always hesitate to get involved in conversations like this because I don't like even the slightest bit of coming across as the guy who expects the whole world to bend over backwards for their kid. That's not the case at all. But Disney was the one place that seemed to go out of their way to make sure kids like him had the best time of their lives. Accomodating his inability to handle long waits made that possible. I'm sure we'll still go again, but it won't be as easy.

I agree that I'm not mad at Disney for making the change. I will say I am shocked that Autism Speaks had anything to do with working with them on the plan. It makes me wonder if anyone at AS has ever seen a kid with Autism...
hopefully as they get this implemented it will go smoothly, if you can get multiple tickets and arrange things well it could work.

When you return with the ticket, i assume you'll then go through the fastpass line? The thing is anything they do to make it convenient for people with disabilities also makes it convenient for fakers. They have done nothing other than possibly make it less convenient for all,k in hopes that it is less likely to be exploited, i guess, but if it saves people 5 minutes some people will exploit it. And people will still see people using these tickets to get into the fastpass line and pass whatever judgements they are now. I am not sure how it improves the situation, but it could just be me not seeing it.

the answered seemed to be require documentation. They said they cannot because of privacy, but i would think if someone wants special privileges at your facility you should be able to require they volunteer some private info to demonstrate need, or else allow them normal use but not grant them special access. I am not a lawyer though, so what do i know. They may also be afraid that denying ANYONE these passes opens them up to lawsuits

Dinner @ Akershus
Any hints on how to get a reservation at Cinderella's Royal Table? it's booked for the time we are going, but everyone, sans me, wants to go.
I can't recall, do you have a daughter? We did breakfast there, and not only was it worth it to be there to see my daughter's reaction to the whole thing (she loved it), but the food itself wasn't bad.
Dinner @ Akershus

hmm....I have a 4 year old boy. FWIW, he and I had zero input on the planning of these places. It was my wife and her sister. :kickscan:

I am impressed that Disney has learned to run the gamut in this category.

Don't forget Pocahontas. Not sure if she's still there, but there used to be a pretty solid Pocahontas stationed in the Planet Watch area of Animal Kingdom. She can be added to the exotic category.Two other additions... Mary Poppins and Aurora (Sleeping Beauty).
I think we all win this game. :thumbup: There's a relatively new show in DL Fantasyland called "Mickey and the Magical Map". The story is lossless stitched together as an excuse for live performances from different movies. Several exotic princesses of color make appearances; Pocahontas and Mulan mashup with Rapunzel, and Tiana closes the show with "Dig A Little Deeper". The Pocahontas we saw was gorgeous and could sing all right, too.

I noticed Aladdin and Jasmine getting a lot more run than usual in the parks. I'm assuming it's because they are expanding the DCA Aladdin show into a full-length musical for a Broadway run.

Bruce Dickinson said:
WDW >>>> Disneyland overall, and in most apples-to-apples comparisons. One area where Disneyland wins over WDW is princess hotness. The Cinderellas and Ariels especially were just stunning. I guess that's an advantage of the LA location.I am impressed that Disney has learned to run the gamut in this category.

Not sure if I should be impressed or embarrassed that I had the same reaction comparing the princess quality of Disneyland vs. WDW. On the one hand, what else am I supposed to do when I'm shepherding my daughter to meet these 20-something princesses. On the other, this is what my life has become? really?

rascal said:
hmm....I have a 4 year old boy. FWIW, he and I had zero input on the planning of these places. It was my wife and her sister. :kickscan:
Sounds like my wife. She makes all the plans, making sure every I is dotted, then when there is a hold up in her plan because of a longer line then anticipated she gets flustered. I make a suggestion and get the 3rd degree because I did not make any plans with her.

rascal said:
Bob Sacamano said:
Dinner @ Akershus
Bob Sacamano said:
Any hints on how to get a reservation at Cinderella's Royal Table? it's booked for the time we are going, but everyone, sans me, wants to go.
I can't recall, do you have a daughter? We did breakfast there, and not only was it worth it to be there to see my daughter's reaction to the whole thing (she loved it), but the food itself wasn't bad.
AcerFC said:
Bob Sacamano said:
Dinner @ Akershus

No need to fight the rest of it, but push back on Akershus. Trust me on this one. Worst food in the northern hemisphere.

B-Deep said:
if downtown disney had a princess strip club i'll bet they could rake in the bucks
I, for one, was very disappointed that Ariel's Grotto was not the concept you describe.If a Disney Princess Gentlemen's Club was added to the Disney Cruise Line, I'd reserve my spot onboard tomorrow.

If the reach isn't broad enough, include all Disney holdings in the club and get some Princess Leia action going. Heck, put a Miss Piggy on stage for the furries and/or chubby chasers.

rascal said:
Sounds like my wife. She makes all the plans, making sure every I is dotted, then when there is a hold up in her plan because of a longer line then anticipated she gets flustered. I make a suggestion and get the 3rd degree because I did not make any plans with her.
Sounds like your wife is a keeper.

AcerFC said:
I'm not a huge show guy but that Aladdin show is kick ###
I enjoyed it quite a bit, and I didn't care for the movie all that much. The theater was nice, staging was cool, they let the genie riff a little, songs well performed well.Ranking it with similar shows at WDW, I'd put Aladdin behind the Lion King show at AK, ahead of the Beauty and the Beast song run-through at DHS, and comparable with the Finding Nemo show at AK.

What this new policy will do is eliminate rich people paying disabled people to be their guides. They have eliminated families having somebody rent a scooter in order to go on a ride spree during crowded times, which makes the lines even longer for all involved. They have reduced the number of scooters that will be on Disney transportation buses.

During 80% of the year using a combination of fast passes and this new card will allow for just as good of an experience. During the other 20% most kids seem to have meltdowns at some point even waiting for food or buses etc, which is why I avoid these times like the plague.

How exactly does this new policy prevent anyone from doing the exact same thing they've been doing? It may. It have the same level of benefit, but having the scooter/wheelchair/etc. would still get people double the number of fast passes at a minimum, right? They still aren't implementing a plan where they actually make people come up with some form of proof that a disability exists.

You're making a lot of assumptions about what effects this policy will have.

Last edited by a moderator:
How exactly does this new policy prevent anyone from doing the exact same thing they've been doing? It may. It have the same level of benefit, but having the scooter/wheelchair/etc. would still get people double the number of fast passes at a minimum, right? They still aren't implementing a plan where they actually make people come up with some form of proof that a disability exists.

Here is what I know for certain. I went to Disney in November, January, April, and August. We were able to go on tons of rides and we didn't have a GAC card or whatever the new term is. Give me one of those GAC cards in addition to a fastpass and we would have gotten bored from going on the rides over and over.

So I am not making assumptions. I am basing my statements on years of going to disney and having been a former disney employee. Perhaps Autism speaks realized that kids that have autism and are susceptible to meltdowns like your son is shouldn't be going to Disney when crowd levels are a 9.9 because it is wall to wall people and the lines for rides would be the least of their worries. Lines for food can be crazy. Lines for the bathrooms can be crazy. Lines for the buses can be crazy. Lines for checking into the hotel can be crazy. It would be very easy for them to wander off and get lost in the crowd, etc etc.

This whole policy came about because rich people were paying disabled guides huge money to take them during the peak holiday times.

We are from NY and have taken our kids to Disney over the holiday break for the past 3 years. We hire a guide, its just under $1000.00 per day. It is the best money ever spent. We usually only have 2-3 days in the parks. Why would I want to waste time waiting on lines? Sorry if it annoys people that we can afford it, but my kids get on every ride they want to see and never have to wait more than 5 minutes.
Pretty sure people will no longer pay 1k just to be able to get some extra fast passes over xmas break. They certainly wont pay 1k to get extra fast passes in September when you can practically walk on rides over and over. So is it as easy as it was before for you? No. Now you will have to put some effort into planning when you go and check into crowd levels. But with minimal effort you will have just as good a time as before and give your son plenty to talk about.

Next time you are scoping out a trip pm me and I can check the date ranges you are looking at for crowd levels. You can then pick a good range and voila, another awesome trip.

I sympathize with BD and Frank and think the folks abusing the system are #######s but I pretty much agree with para - we've been here all week and waited more than 10 minutes maybe 3 times. 80% or more of the rides have been walking right on the ride. I understand not everyone has a flexible schedule so it doesn't work for every family but it's very possible to see almost all of WDW with no wait as long as you plan properly.

I sympathize with BD and Frank and think the folks abusing the system are #######s but I pretty much agree with para - we've been here all week and waited more than 10 minutes maybe 3 times. 80% or more of the rides have been walking right on the ride. I understand not everyone has a flexible schedule so it doesn't work for every family but it's very possible to see almost all of WDW with no wait as long as you plan properly.
:excited:

I'm actually looking forward to Disney for the first time ever.. Been there a half dozen times at the busiest times of the year. We'll be there next week Tues-Sunday...

One thing to add - I noticed these large groups with one individual on a scooter. Didn't plan to post about it but it's definitely an issue. Hell, once WALL-E becomes reality and we are all fatasses in scooters then maybe the FASTPASS line will be for walkers. I almost got run over by one of them - those things shouldn't be allowed to go faster than an above average walking speed. Now that I think about it there was some teenage kid standing on one driving it while Grandma was riding. He was flying around the carousel heading towards the castle.

What this new policy will do is eliminate rich people paying disabled people to be their guides. They have eliminated families having somebody rent a scooter in order to go on a ride spree during crowded times, which makes the lines even longer for all involved. They have reduced the number of scooters that will be on Disney transportation buses.

During 80% of the year using a combination of fast passes and this new card will allow for just as good of an experience. During the other 20% most kids seem to have meltdowns at some point even waiting for food or buses etc, which is why I avoid these times like the plague.
why will it do that?

assuming that the policy is any benefit for the disabled it will still be a benefit for rich people, perhaps not as much, but still will be a benefi

either this helps the disabled, and rich people will pay for the help, or it does not help the disabled.

as for most kids having meltdowns, i am sorry but the metldowns that severly disabled kids can have are different, and in many cases are much more easily triggered. If my son has a meltdown that is to severe his day could be done. His disability does not allow him to regain contorl easily, and certainly not in an environment like Disney

Here is what I know for certain. I went to Disney in November, January, April, and August. We were able to go on tons of rides and we didn't have a GAC card or whatever the new term is. Give me one of those GAC cards in addition to a fastpass and we would have gotten bored from going on the rides over and over.

So I am not making assumptions. I am basing my statements on years of going to disney and having been a former disney employee. Perhaps Autism speaks realized that kids that have autism and are susceptible to meltdowns like your son is shouldn't be going to Disney when crowd levels are a 9.9 because it is wall to wall people and the lines for rides would be the least of their worries. Lines for food can be crazy. Lines for the bathrooms can be crazy. Lines for the buses can be crazy. Lines for checking into the hotel can be crazy. It would be very easy for them to wander off and get lost in the crowd, etc etc.

This whole policy came about because rich people were paying disabled guides huge money to take them during the peak holiday times.

We are from NY and have taken our kids to Disney over the holiday break for the past 3 years. We hire a guide, its just under $1000.00 per day. It is the best money ever spent. We usually only have 2-3 days in the parks. Why would I want to waste time waiting on lines? Sorry if it annoys people that we can afford it, but my kids get on every ride they want to see and never have to wait more than 5 minutes.
Pretty sure people will no longer pay 1k just to be able to get some extra fast passes over xmas break. They certainly wont pay 1k to get extra fast passes in September when you can practically walk on rides over and over. So is it as easy as it was before for you? No. Now you will have to put some effort into planning when you go and check into crowd levels. But with minimal effort you will have just as good a time as before and give your son plenty to talk about.

Next time you are scoping out a trip pm me and I can check the date ranges you are looking at for crowd levels. You can then pick a good range and voila, another awesome trip.
that's kind of the point, before disney was something that those kids could do at that time, just like your kids

if this doesn't get handled well you'll have sites posting the block out dates for disabled children at disney. As the parent of a disabled child, that is sad. We went in July, because that was when we were able to go. The GAC allowed my son, who sometimes struggles at the local zoo, to experience everything we wanted at all of the parks. It was the best trip we have ever taken by a very long shot. I am very grateful that Disney provided that opportunity for my child, and it makes me sad that others may not have the same chance simply because people like to abuse the system

And to be clear, i am not looking for sympathy, i am not saying Disney should not have made this change, i am just trying to explain how for people who have children that this policy legitimately help this is a very sad development. I am hoping i can provide some understanding.

I really truly believe that they will figure this out when it comes to disabled kids. I have no proof of that, nor does this really effect me in any way because I don't have one, so I've never seen it from that side.

But I've seen it from the stranger passing by side. I've seen everyone in that entire complex from the maids at the hotels, to the garbage men, to the bus drivers, to the store workers, to the waiters and chefs, to the ride operators, to the characters to the management that walks around and everyone in between literally make the world special for one brief moment in time for a disabled child - at least that is how it looks from the outside.

I remember one time when we did extra magic in the morning in Magic Kingdom and they had a bunch of characters and princesses all playing games in the big opening by the carousel (that isn't the same since all the new Fantasyland stuff is there). They were dancing with kids, playing silly little games, the usual perfect kid stuff at Disney. While we were there a young boy in a wheelchair came to the play area with his parents. You would think that some mutant President of the United States/Jesus Christ/Walt Disney/Justin Beiber thing just arrived because they lavished this kid like he was without question the most important person in the world (and managed to do it in such a way that didn't ignore all the other kids which was remarkable in and of itself). This kid was a rock star.

I just find it hard to believe that they would do something that hurts that. That place is run too smoothly and is just too perfect when it comes to the little things to get this one massive thing wrong.

I really truly believe that they will figure this out when it comes to disabled kids. I have no proof of that, nor does this really effect me in any way because I don't have one, so I've never seen it from that side.

But I've seen it from the stranger passing by side. I've seen everyone in that entire complex from the maids at the hotels, to the garbage men, to the bus drivers, to the store workers, to the waiters and chefs, to the ride operators, to the characters to the management that walks around and everyone in between literally make the world special for one brief moment in time for a disabled child - at least that is how it looks from the outside.

I remember one time when we did extra magic in the morning in Magic Kingdom and they had a bunch of characters and princesses all playing games in the big opening by the carousel (that isn't the same since all the new Fantasyland stuff is there). They were dancing with kids, playing silly little games, the usual perfect kid stuff at Disney. While we were there a young boy in a wheelchair came to the play area with his parents. You would think that some mutant President of the United States/Jesus Christ/Walt Disney/Justin Beiber thing just arrived because they lavished this kid like he was without question the most important person in the world (and managed to do it in such a way that didn't ignore all the other kids which was remarkable in and of itself). This kid was a rock star.

I just find it hard to believe that they would do something that hurts that. That place is run too smoothly and is just too perfect when it comes to the little things to get this one massive thing wrong.
I actually think you may be right that this will work out ok. There is a lot of apprehension, which is to be expected since they are just implementing this policy.

I also think that there will still be people who abuse it as well. That's the part i don't think we can escape, as long as they are dedicated to making this the best experience they can for the disabled, there will be people who see that generosity by Disney as a weakness they can exploit. It is a sad part of life.

I will ALWAYS be grateful for what Disney provided to us, and they will always get the benefit of the doubt. We truly had one of the best weeks of our lives in there parks. I understand how they felt like they had to do something to this policy, and once the stories of renting handicapped kids came out it was inevitable. Like you I am going to trust that while there may be some bumps they'll do the best they can to keep providing the best access they can.

Am leaving for a Disney Cruise (my 2nd) in a couple of weeks. Do any of you have experience on the Dream? Can you share any tips or fantastic experiences you had? It's a 4-night cruise.

We're following that up with a day at the MK and a day at HS. Staying at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek for the first time (we usually say at OKW or AKL). Have a plan for the two theme park days already so those should be stress free. The Cruise? I'm not feeling like much of an expert on that one...

Am leaving for a Disney Cruise (my 2nd) in a couple of weeks. Do any of you have experience on the Dream? Can you share any tips or fantastic experiences you had? It's a 4-night cruise.

We're following that up with a day at the MK and a day at HS. Staying at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek for the first time (we usually say at OKW or AKL). Have a plan for the two theme park days already so those should be stress free. The Cruise? I'm not feeling like much of an expert on that one...
Did a Dream cruise in 2011, shortly after it debuted. If your previous cruise was on the Magic or Wonder, you'll really be impressed.

Best times (shortest wait) to ride the Aqua Duck are early mornings or during dinner dining times. And best time to do anything on the ship is on land days, if you're not interested in excursions. We hd two land days, one on Castaway Cay the other in the Bahamas. We stayed on the boat for the Bahama day and the kids had their run of the ship.

We are going on the Fantasy for a week in October. Anybody done that one?

My buddy at work said he a Disney cruise last year and they had a lobster day. Just kept bringing lobsters out to the buffet area. Sounds amazing.

Seems like they should just quit letting kids and fat people into WDW. Problem solved.
:lmao:

Mickey: "this place would be awesome if it weren't for all the kids"

Donald: "preaching to the choir, cheesebreath"
I actually said that once to the guys that do the polling in the parks. They pulled us aside in Downtown and it wasn't the usual 2 questions and email address, there were like 15 questions (and this was years ago). The final question was how can we make the experience better and I said, seriously, that it would be nice for a place like Disney Quest to have a no kid night or something just for the adults. We like video games too. It would be a cool thing to do. I know it's simply impossible to pull off in Disney, but I still think it would be cool for them to come up with some kind of adults only thing there or even in the park for a day or something.

I actually think you may be right that this will work out ok. There is a lot of apprehension, which is to be expected since they are just implementing this policy.I also think that there will still be people who abuse it as well. That's the part i don't think we can escape, as long as they are dedicated to making this the best experience they can for the disabled, there will be people who see that generosity by Disney as a weakness they can exploit. It is a sad part of life.

I will ALWAYS be grateful for what Disney provided to us, and they will always get the benefit of the doubt. We truly had one of the best weeks of our lives in there parks. I understand how they felt like they had to do something to this policy, and once the stories of renting handicapped kids came out it was inevitable. Like you I am going to trust that while there may be some bumps they'll do the best they can to keep providing the best access they can.
I'm hopeful as well, because I do believe that Disney wants to get it right. I understand where para is coming from, but like B, we're not able to go during the less crowded times. My son can't afford to miss a week of school (which also means missing speech therapy, occupational therapy, etc.) so we have to go during breaks, when it's crowded. We're lucky, because the crowds don't actually bother him that much. Wait times, where he just obsesses non-stop about the ride are another animal. I'm not sure we'd be able to get a pass for one ride and do something else, because he'd be in full obsession mode about the one we had the return time for.

But again, I want to know how the actual policy works before I get too worked up.

As far as the employees going out of their way to help...I have my own experience with that. Last trip, we had just come off of Toy Story Mania and Colin desperately wanted to get Buzz and Woody's autographs. We walked across and saw the line so we asked the girl how long the wait was. It was an hour or so. We thanked her and I told Colin we'd have to come back later. As we were walking away, she saw that Colin was special needs (he'll do the usual arm flapping and head bopping when he's upset and working through something). She asked very politely if he was and we said yes. She said come with me, walked us over by the exit and went inside and spoke to the handlers. She then lead my boys in through the exit and right into the next spot in line. Colin was over the moon. And didn't have to have the next several hours messed up in his head obsessing about when he'd get to meet his favorite characters.

Disney is an amazing place for reasons like that. It would be an absolute tragedy if families had to miss out on it because of a policy change to deal with a few bad eggs and some bad press.

I actually think you may be right that this will work out ok. There is a lot of apprehension, which is to be expected since they are just implementing this policy.I also think that there will still be people who abuse it as well. That's the part i don't think we can escape, as long as they are dedicated to making this the best experience they can for the disabled, there will be people who see that generosity by Disney as a weakness they can exploit. It is a sad part of life.

I'm hopeful as well, because I do believe that Disney wants to get it right. I understand where para is coming from, but like B, we're not able to go during the less crowded times. My son can't afford to miss a week of school (which also means missing speech therapy, occupational therapy, etc.) so we have to go during breaks, when it's crowded. We're lucky, because the crowds don't actually bother him that much. Wait times, where he just obsesses non-stop about the ride are another animal. I'm not sure we'd be able to get a pass for one ride and do something else, because he'd be in full obsession mode about the one we had the return time for.

But again, I want to know how the actual policy works before I get too worked up.

As far as the employees going out of their way to help...I have my own experience with that. Last trip, we had just come off of Toy Story Mania and Colin desperately wanted to get Buzz and Woody's autographs. We walked across and saw the line so we asked the girl how long the wait was. It was an hour or so. We thanked her and I told Colin we'd have to come back later. As we were walking away, she saw that Colin was special needs (he'll do the usual arm flapping and head bopping when he's upset and working through something). She asked very politely if he was and we said yes. She said come with me, walked us over by the exit and went inside and spoke to the handlers. She then lead my boys in through the exit and right into the next spot in line. Colin was over the moon. And didn't have to have the next several hours messed up in his head obsessing about when he'd get to meet his favorite characters.

Disney is an amazing place for reasons like that. It would be an absolute tragedy if families had to miss out on it because of a policy change to deal with a few bad eggs and some bad press.
Keep the faith, they are so good because they made an effort to be. I believe they still will, and i believe it pays off for them. Their reputation in the special needs community is AMAZING. We preach how good they are and so do any other parents i have ever met who have ever been there. They are THE destination for a vacation with a special needs child.

Did a Dream cruise in 2011, shortly after it debuted. If your previous cruise was on the Magic or Wonder, you'll really be impressed.

Best times (shortest wait) to ride the Aqua Duck are early mornings or during dinner dining times. And best time to do anything on the ship is on land days, if you're not interested in excursions. We hd two land days, one on Castaway Cay the other in the Bahamas. We stayed on the boat for the Bahama day and the kids had their run of the ship.
Cool. We are not going ashore in Nassau so that day will be great on board. My family is going ashore at Castaway Cay but I'm tempted to stay on board that day as well.

The Aqua Duck advice is good. We're doing late dinner seating so I can envision having the kids enjoy the Aqua Duck while many are at the first dinner seating.

Our first cruise was on the Wonder which was great so I can't wait to see how the Dream is.

Seems like they should just quit letting kids and fat people into WDW. Problem solved.
:lmao: Mickey: "this place would be awesome if it weren't for all the kids"

:lmao: :lmao:Piglet: Oh dear, that chick was enormous!

Tigger: I wouldn't bang her with Pooh's ****. Woo-hoo-hoo-hooooo!
Jasmine: "hell no, you were not just looking at that watery tramp!"

Aladdin: "no....um..."

Jasmine: "Fins and scales, do those do it for you you pervert? You wanna polish your lamp to that moistened bint?"

Aladdin "um....no...she has legs...."

Jasmine: "She smells like fish you know, and she was born without a ######."

Keep the faith, they are so good because they made an effort to be. I believe they still will, and i believe it pays off for them. Their reputation in the special needs community is AMAZING. We preach how good they are and so do any other parents i have ever met who have ever been there. They are THE destination for a vacation with a special needs child.
I don't have any proof, but have been told that they are not eliminating the program, but putting controls in place to eliminate the abuse.

You must apply ahead of your visit

The pass will have a photo of the person on it.

It will only be issued for a short period.

Again, I am only going on heresay, but I would suggest that anybody with a true need contact Disney ahead of time and see if this is true..

Cool. We are not going ashore in Nassau so that day will be great on board. My family is going ashore at Castaway Cay but I'm tempted to stay on board that day as well.

The Aqua Duck advice is good. We're doing late dinner seating so I can envision having the kids enjoy the Aqua Duck while many are at the first dinner seating.

Our first cruise was on the Wonder which was great so I can't wait to see how the Dream is.
First go to cruisecritics.com forums and read all of their tips specifically to Disney ships.

Remember, unlike other cruise lines, you CAN bring your own booze onto a Disney ship. Anything that can fit into a carry on is allowed. We took a case of beer and a couple of pints.

Bring your own cups / bottles to use at the drink stations otherwise you will be making several trips.

When you embark and everybody heads upstairs for lunch, I suggest going to the Enchanted Garden instead. It is much less crowded and the food seems better.

Frank Drebin said:
I'm hopeful as well, because I do believe that Disney wants to get it right. I understand where para is coming from, but like B, we're not able to go during the less crowded times. My son can't afford to miss a week of school (which also means missing speech therapy, occupational therapy, etc.) so we have to go during breaks, when it's crowded. We're lucky, because the crowds don't actually bother him that much. Wait times, where he just obsesses non-stop about the ride are another animal. I'm not sure we'd be able to get a pass for one ride and do something else, because he'd be in full obsession mode about the one we had the return time for.But again, I want to know how the actual policy works before I get too worked up.
Maybe you can get the pass without your son, then tell him when you're walking to the ride at your scheduled time.

B-Deep said:
Bruce Dickinson said:
B-Deep said:
Bob Sacamano said:
:lmao: Mickey: "this place would be awesome if it weren't for all the kids"

:lmao: :lmao:Piglet: Oh dear, that chick was enormous!

Tigger: I wouldn't bang her with Pooh's ****. Woo-hoo-hoo-hooooo!
Jasmine: "hell no, you were not just looking at that watery tramp!"

Aladdin: "no....um..."

Jasmine: "Fins and scales, do those do it for you you pervert? You wanna polish your lamp to that moistened bint?"

Aladdin "um....no...she has legs...."

Jasmine: "She smells like fish you know, and she was born without a ######."
Well this thread just took an interesting turn...

Frank Drebin said:
I'm hopeful as well, because I do believe that Disney wants to get it right. I understand where para is coming from, but like B, we're not able to go during the less crowded times. My son can't afford to miss a week of school (which also means missing speech therapy, occupational therapy, etc.) so we have to go during breaks, when it's crowded. We're lucky, because the crowds don't actually bother him that much. Wait times, where he just obsesses non-stop about the ride are another animal. I'm not sure we'd be able to get a pass for one ride and do something else, because he'd be in full obsession mode about the one we had the return time for.But again, I want to know how the actual policy works before I get too worked up.
Maybe you can get the pass without your son, then tell him when you're walking to the ride at your scheduled time.
I'd imagine once this is launched the first wave of parents will post some good tips for others to use

The Flying Turtle said:
First go to cruisecritics.com forums and read all of their tips specifically to Disney ships.

Remember, unlike other cruise lines, you CAN bring your own booze onto a Disney ship. Anything that can fit into a carry on is allowed. We took a case of beer and a couple of pints.

Bring your own cups / bottles to use at the drink stations otherwise you will be making several trips.

When you embark and everybody heads upstairs for lunch, I suggest going to the Enchanted Garden instead. It is much less crowded and the food seems better.
I've been reading trip reports at disboards but I forgot about cruisecritics. I will check that out.

Planning to bring a jug of Windsor on board. Good tip re: the Enchanted Garden. I'm a fan of zigging when everyone else zags.

Users who are viewing this thread