What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (3 Viewers)

I don't know if this site has been mentioned here lately, or ever but - Thrill Data - is the site I use as a local to check wait times and crowd calendars now.

It actually has way more information than I'd ever need, but it's a useful tool. One of my favorite metrics they provide is how today ranks out of the last X number of days. For example today at Epcot is the 15th highest crowd day in the last 821 days :oops:

I'm not affiliated with them or anything, just an endorsement.

Agree GM....we were pass holders before COVID and have been back a few times in the last few months. Parks were pretty good the last couple times we went, but prices are up for the same product and they are going up again in 2025. I am curious what those going to Ohana above what their opinions are. It seems like a shell of itself to me.
I'm going to Ohana because it's my mom's favorite. I'd probably skip it otherwise.

Hot take. Ohana was always overrated 😬
Kona Cafe FTW!

My "locals" tip is that Kona Cafe can often have reservations available later in the evening, which allows you to park at the Poly. You can walk-in, grab a sushi roll or just a drink at Kona Cafe, then walk-out to the Poly Beach and watch the MK Fireworks. Can make for a low-key, but really nice evening.

Brought the family back down for spring break this week to use the passes one more time. I say this almost every time I post in this thread but man, you really have to know what you are doing down here to enjoy yourself plus be willing to pay for Genie+.

Easter Sunday crowd was nuts but staying on property and with Genie we managed to ride 17 rides at MK, watch the Easter parade, ride the boat to Geyser Point and have lunch and beers, park hop to EPCOT and ride a few things, come back to MK and we could have stayed and ridden 3-5 more things or watch the fireworks.

You just really need to know how things work, where stuff is and be willing to pivot and shell out $$.

Yesterday we had a great day at HS despite enormous crowds. Got everything in but SW land and left for EPCOT to eat Flower and Garden for lunch. Went back to resort and swam and napped - dinner at Beaches and Cream and then watched the nighttime stuff at HS.

Today did start off rough - earliest LL was lunch time for Frozen so moved it to Soarin- we walked all the way to the back of the park to ride Remy and the line was insane. We were there at 8:05 for 8:30 early entry and we were on the bridge to France when the line stopped - we were like no way. Took a bunch of pictures in empty country pavilions, drank coffee and got pastries at Norway bakery. Frozen was down so told my wife, let’s keep an eye on it opening and hop in line - sure enough, as we finished it opened and we got to wait 15 minutes for it.

It really does suck for families that don’t know what they are getting in to and expect things to be magical - it won’t be for most.

Driving back today - had a great trip despite the insane crowd levels. Won’t go in to all the gory details but will share the food damage:

Geyser Point x 2 (love that place), Beaches and Cream, Le Cellier, Ale and Compass (women), Yak and Yeti (men), ‘Ohana, Casey’s, Kona, Homecomin’, City Works, Port Orleans for beignets, some Flower and Garden kiosks. I’d weigh 500 pounds if I lived down here, even with all the walking.

Brought the family back down for spring break this week to use the passes one more time. I say this almost every time I post in this thread but man, you really have to know what you are doing down here to enjoy yourself plus be willing to pay for Genie+.

Easter Sunday crowd was nuts but staying on property and with Genie we managed to ride 17 rides at MK, watch the Easter parade, ride the boat to Geyser Point and have lunch and beers, park hop to EPCOT and ride a few things, come back to MK and we could have stayed and ridden 3-5 more things or watch the fireworks.

You just really need to know how things work, where stuff is and be willing to pivot and shell out $$.

Yesterday we had a great day at HS despite enormous crowds. Got everything in but SW land and left for EPCOT to eat Flower and Garden for lunch. Went back to resort and swam and napped - dinner at Beaches and Cream and then watched the nighttime stuff at HS.

Today did start off rough - earliest LL was lunch time for Frozen so moved it to Soarin- we walked all the way to the back of the park to ride Remy and the line was insane. We were there at 8:05 for 8:30 early entry and we were on the bridge to France when the line stopped - we were like no way. Took a bunch of pictures in empty country pavilions, drank coffee and got pastries at Norway bakery. Frozen was down so told my wife, let’s keep an eye on it opening and hop in line - sure enough, as we finished it opened and we got to wait 15 minutes for it.

It really does suck for families that don’t know what they are getting in to and expect things to be magical - it won’t be for most.

Driving back today - had a great trip despite the insane crowd levels. Won’t go in to all the gory details but will share the food damage:

Geyser Point x 2 (love that place), Beaches and Cream, Le Cellier, Ale and Compass (women), Yak and Yeti (men), ‘Ohana, Casey’s, Kona, Homecomin’, City Works, Port Orleans for beignets, some Flower and Garden kiosks. I’d weigh 500 pounds if I lived down here, even with all the walking.
I've never been to Geyser Point. I'll put that on the list for next trip. The rest are favorites of my family as well.

How was Le Cellier? We usually go with Yatchsman because of the reputation that Le Cellier has gone downhill, but I think we should give it a try next time.

How was Le Cellier? We usually go with Yatchsman because of the reputation that Le Cellier has gone downhill, but I think we should give it a try next time.
Last two trips for me were disappointing. I think I'm going to try Yachtsman or Shulas next trip for steak night.

Agree GM....we were pass holders before COVID and have been back a few times in the last few months. Parks were pretty good the last couple times we went, but prices are up for the same product and they are going up again in 2025. I am curious what those going to Ohana above what their opinions are. It seems like a shell of itself to me.
I'm going to Ohana because it's my mom's favorite. I'd probably skip it otherwise.
I take this back, dinner was excellent tonight. Pricey, but excellent.
My most recent visit to Ohana was excellent as well. The pacing and delivery of food is very different than it was 20 years ago, but the food still rocks IMO. And the view of MK is great.
Still doing family style bowls over the old skewers?

My most recent visit to Ohana was excellent as well. The pacing and delivery of food is very different than it was 20 years ago, but the food still rocks IMO. And the view of MK is great.
Yup. The chicken and steak were very good. The shrimp probably should have stayed on the skewers. They were just ok.

Can anyone give a brief rundown like I'm 5 years old of the new Genie+ and Lightning Lane systems? You need Lightning Lane to ride the most popular rides there and those are just straight cash to get into the fast pass line? And Genie+ let's you get the equivalent of an old fast pass every two hours into the other rides except you can't use them on the most popular?

And you can't purchase until Midnight of the day you're headed to the park and can't book anything until 7am? Do you get screwed if you sleep in until 8am? Is there any benefit to buying at midnight as opposed to just buying when you wakeup?
Genie plus is just the planning tool I think. You schedule lightning lanes and you purchase individual lightning lanes for one popular ride per park. LLs are included in the purchase of genie plus and you can start booking at 7. Then you can book your next one 2 hrs after park opens and then every 2 hrs right after you check in for one.

Definitely need to hit it at 7am sharp if you want the good stuff. Don't sleep in. No advantage to buying at midnight. Just buy it at 6:50 am. Right at 7am purchase your ILL and when that's set move on to your regular LL.

Can anyone give a brief rundown like I'm 5 years old of the new Genie+ and Lightning Lane systems? You need Lightning Lane to ride the most popular rides there and those are just straight cash to get into the fast pass line? And Genie+ let's you get the equivalent of an old fast pass every two hours into the other rides except you can't use them on the most popular?

And you can't purchase until Midnight of the day you're headed to the park and can't book anything until 7am? Do you get screwed if you sleep in until 8am? Is there any benefit to buying at midnight as opposed to just buying when you wakeup?
Genie plus is just the planning tool I think. You schedule lightning lanes and you purchase individual lightning lanes for one popular ride per park. LLs are included in the purchase of genie plus and you can start booking at 7. Then you can book your next one 2 hrs after park opens and then every 2 hrs right after you check in for one.

Definitely need to hit it at 7am sharp if you want the good stuff. Don't sleep in. No advantage to buying at midnight. Just buy it at 6:50 am. Right at 7am purchase your ILL and when that's set move on to your regular LL.

The only thing I’ll quibble with is that Genie can (and did last week) run out. I get it at midnight for peace of mind but most days you are right that you can wait. Not worth the gamble to me.

Also, crowds were so high last week we paid $39/day for it. Adds up quickly.

As a refresher for folks - I shared this with RW:

Definitely buy Genie+ - I won’t do the parks without it now. If crowds are low then maybe but if cost isn’t an issue get it and don’t worry about it. A couple of important things to note about Genie.

1. You can buy it at midnight - if crowds are high get it then. I just do it at midnight for peace of mind.
2. Book first one right at 7am - you need to try and time if perfectly to get best time. It will give you earliest possible and no option to pick time. Paid LL, like Seven Dwarves you can pick a time window
3. Once you’ve made the 7am one you can get your next one either 2 hours after the park opens for everyone OR once you used the one you have.
4. You can always “play Genie roulette” to try and move the time up or even switch to another ride. Some people have fun with it and some people hate it (don’t want to have their phones out)
5. Buying Genie guarantees you nothing. Crowds were so high this week I never got a Slinky or Frozen LL. They were all gone for the day early in the day.

Genie strategy- there’s probably 3 ways to use it.

1. Try and get a LL for most popular ride (Slinky, Peter Pan, Frozen) and hope to get an early time.
2. Get the earliest possible time for a great/good ride
3. “Stack” your LL for later in the day- possibly sleep in. This is doable based on crowd levels and party size (mostly former)

We don’t mind getting up early so we do option 2 plus stay on property- get there early with the other lunatics and try to knock out big ride first, then start using Genie. Almost always take a midday break for those who want it and avoid the heat and then as you mention come back when wait times are lower and it’s cooler.

Another good strategy if you are fine staying out a little longer is to get in line for long waits right before park closes. Rise, Flights of Passage, really any ride works but wait time doesn’t matter - if you are in line you get to ride.

I've never been to Geyser Point. I'll put that on the list for next trip. The rest are favorites of my family as well.

I’ll go every trip from now on. Walk straight to the Wilderness Lodge boat ramp, fantastic short ride over and easy walk to it. Fabulous location right on the water. Can’t believe I’ve been missing out on this.

Last two trips for me were disappointing. I think I'm going to try Yachtsman or Shulas next trip for steak night.

Shula’s is the best of the 3 for us pretty easily. But you don’t get any of the Disney charm. I’d rate the other two about the same but if it’s steak you want then Yatchsman over Le Cellier.

Yup. The chicken and steak were very good. The shrimp probably should have stayed on the skewers. They were just ok.

After being a tad disappointed last time we thought this trip it was great. Potstickers and wings were solid and the steak was maybe the best I’ve ever had there. I thought the shrimp was good too.

Users who are viewing this thread