What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pittsburgh Pirates 2013 Thread*** (2 Viewers)

What's the deal with Friday's game being at 1pm, noon central time nonetheless?! Im going to have to start drinking at 11am.
Ha-- the next 2 days are going to kill me. I'm hosting all day workshops and will therefore have to dvr the games and watch them at night. I'm just not sure if I have the willpower to avoid the Internet until the evening.

I'm going to have to keep up with the live box score update online until I get to my girlfriends around 7:00. Then on Friday i will have to follow the entire game online via box score. No streaming for me at work. I wait 20+ years for this and I can't even watch it. #### me.

I'm going to have to keep up with the live box score update online until I get to my girlfriends around 7:00. Then on Friday i will have to follow the entire game online via box score. No streaming for me at work. I wait 20+ years for this and I can't even watch it. #### me.
Can you dvr the games? The time of both games certainly suck. We got the shaft

:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:

Hey, let's do the Pirates playoff game Friday afternoon, we'll get REALLY good ratings!

I can dvr them, but I don't like doing that for sports. I like to know whats happening while its happening. Someone would ruin it for me throughout the day, especially where I work.

Saw that the Friday game will ONLY be on MLB network, which is going to shaft some people.

The Hank said:
fred_1_15301 said:
Copeman said:
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:Hey, let's do the Pirates playoff game Friday afternoon, we'll get REALLY good ratings!
Wah wah wah... Our games are on during the day...

I had an extremely timely ear infection that led to a hole in my eardrum. Had to get meds and stay home. My ear is clogged as all hell but I'm so not at work it's ridiculous. Go Bucs!

Feeling good about the game and Burnett. If he falters in the 6th-7th inning though I just hope Hurdle has a quick trigger finger

The Hank said:
fred_1_15301 said:
Copeman said:
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:

Hey, let's do the Pirates playoff game Friday afternoon, we'll get REALLY good ratings!
New to being a middle-market team in the playoffs?

Oh, wait...

The larger market teams almost always get the prime time games during the week. If an LA or NY team is playing on the same day, expect an earlier game.

Can I get a list of the people who wanted to trade Pedro for Headley last year?

Additionally, #### you guys for knocking the Reds out. Thank you guys for being the final nail in Dusty's coffin.

I desperately want to see a Pirates - A's World Series.

Can I get a list of the people who wanted to trade Pedro for Headley last year?

Additionally, #### you guys for knocking the Reds out. Thank you guys for being the final nail in Dusty's coffin.

I desperately want to see a Pirates - A's World Series.
There weren't any pirates fans saying that. I think it was mainly Balco and a few others.

Nice bounce-back win. If this series goes 5 games, Im pretty sure I want Cole on the mound instead of Burnett.

...and of course I have the utmost confidence with Liriano in Game 3 at home, but Joe Kelly has owned us and Wacha for Game 4 is really good and Im not sure we've even seen him this year, a la the Cards never seeing Cole this year.

Nice bounce-back win. If this series goes 5 games, Im pretty sure I want Cole on the mound instead of Burnett.

...and of course I have the utmost confidence with Liriano in Game 3 at home, but Joe Kelly has owned us and Wacha for Game 4 is really good and Im not sure we've even seen him this year, a la the Cards never seeing Cole this year.
I believe Wacha one hit us not too long ago. Agree about Cole in game 5. Thoughts on starting Burnett on short rest in game 4 and Cole in game 5 (if it gets to that)?

I believe Wacha one hit us not too long ago. Agree about Cole in game 5. Thoughts on starting Burnett on short rest in game 4 and Cole in game 5 (if it gets to that)?
With how STL hammered Burnett yesterday, Im leery of him seeing another start this series. Morton was probably their best pitcher down the stretch besides Cole, Im fine with him in Game 4.

Kelly has given up 2 runs in the past 18 innings against the pirates. The good news is he hasn't gone more than 6 innings in any of those games. The better news is that Liriano has even been better against the cards. Can't wait for Sunday

Can we bat Pedro 4th yet? Day games against rhp at least? Please?
Logically it makes sense (given how weak Mourneau is) but what are the statistics for Pedro hitting 4th vs 6th? It seems like he's in the midst of one of his hot streaks and I prefer not to risk screwing with that......

Going to a game 5 in St. Louis with their ace was the scenario I definitely didn't want to see. Doesn't help that we still don't know whether it is Cole or Burnett.

Can't really blame Morton because he had a great performance except for one damn pitch. Just ran into an extremely hot pitcher who I believe has given up on 2 hits in his last 17 innings.

:scared:

I don't know how but the pirates need to find a 1b next year. The slop that they've been throwing out there for years isn't going to cut it.

I don't know how but the pirates need to find a 1b next year. The slop that they've been throwing out there for years isn't going to cut it.
You couldn't be more right with that assessment. And how do they continue to swing at his crap breaking ball that is no where near the plate...again again and again! !

He has struggled this series but if anyone is to blame for this series it is Marte & Walker with the bat in their hands. 1 for 34 I believe is embarrassing.

Give Cole lots of credit for a game 5 performance. Didn't get any room to breathe

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Clint realized that they need to hit as many bats as possible. Having the pitcher hit in the 6th - 8th when you are desperate to make it close is too risky. Especially when you know that Marte and Walker wasn't doing anything after the pitcher

Last edited by a moderator:
great season ... looks to look forward to ...

i posted on another board my thoughts on the pirates: (albeit brief)

As for the Pirates pitching, yes I agree they need to show improvement there.

Burnett has been talking about retirement. He's a gamer. Great for the city. Great for the team. We'll miss him if he retires.

Gerritt Cole - stud/future stud.

Charlie Morton - Solid.

Francisco Liriano? Not sure what I expect next year. Not a repeat of this year. Hopefully, he will remain a good pitcher.

Jeff Locke? Hopefully he builds upon his first-half success of this year and is closer to that than the second half. I think both were extreme and he will settle somewhere in between. Which makes him a nice 5th starter.

Then you look at the minors: Jameson Tallion; Luis Heredia; Tyler Glasnow. Probably some other guys who will develop.

The big questions for next year - 1B, SS and RF.

i also posted this about the cardinals:

unfortunately, by the way, i look at the cardinals and i weep because the pirates are in the same division.

young guys:

1b-adams
2b-wong
ss-kozma
3b-?
of-tavares
of-allen craig?

p-wacha, rosenthal, martinez, among others. i mean, they have a 22-year-old stud in the rotation and a guy who could be craig kimbrel in the bullpen.

they are loaded for years and years to come

I still think they needed to move Pedro to 4th and possibly Moreau to 2nd in the lineup.

I hated pinch hitting for Cole in the 6th. He was hot. 2 bad at bats. Jones has had 1 good game, isn't a great pinch hitter and wainwright isn't the type if guy you're going to crush, especially your first ab if the night. Have cole sac bunt. People were claiming they wanted jones to hit the long ball. He hit 15hr in 409 abs this year; 4%. I don't care what marte did the last 6 games; he hit 280 for the year. Give him a shot at a single with a guy on 2nd and 1 out and let's Cole keep it close.

Oh well. Hell of a year. :kicksrock:

Let's try to extend the young guys, re-sign Byrd, find a 1b and get a real bench. AJ was upset he got passed over apparently. May not help in keeping him.

Great season, nothing to be ashamed of whatsoever. I had no problem hitting for Cole. It's a half game series at that point, we needed runs, and the bullpen is quite capable (in hindsight). Do or die situation at the plate, you can't have your pitcher up there, even if he's throwing well.

Looking forward to next year. Be anxious to see what moves they make. 1B is the biggest concern. I'd love for them to sign that Cuban or Dominican, or whatever he is, defector. Name escapes me right now. But he'll want big money, but one can hope.

Great season, nothing to be ashamed of whatsoever. I had no problem hitting for Cole. It's a half game series at that point, we needed runs, and the bullpen is quite capable (in hindsight). Do or die situation at the plate, you can't have your pitcher up there, even if he's throwing well.

Looking forward to next year. Be anxious to see what moves they make. 1B is the biggest concern. I'd love for them to sign that Cuban or Dominican, or whatever he is, defector. Name escapes me right now. But he'll want big money, but one can hope.
His name is Abreu and who knows how old he is. I would love it if they got him. I don't think Burnett will be back so their rotation will become thinner. I also don't think they'll resign Byrd for the money that he'll probably want. Thus, they'll have significant holes at 1b (assuming they don't get Abreu) and rf. SS is still a hole because I'm not sure Mercer is a full time player and Barmes is useless without his glove. I think this team takes a step backwards next year but boy am I pumped for 2015. At that point, they'll have Cutch, Alvarez, Marte and Polanco as part of their core with a rotation showcased by Cole and Taillon. I'm sure they'll have complimentary pieces as well. Of course, St. Louis will still be a juggernaut and we will likely even have to worry about the Cubs at that point :kicksrock:

I was looking at the year's stats for these pitchers and the '79 Pirates staff. Except for the Bucs using many more hurlers this season, the overall totals are remarkably comparable. And that '79 Championship club won just 4 more regular season games than this crew.

Of course, the '79 team's lineup was formidable all-around once Madlock and Foli were on board. They scored 4.8 runs per contest. This 2013 club failed to average four runs a game, which was a huge burden on both starters and relievers. Both squads had strong defensive play.

So, yeah, nice work in 2013 in generating authentic interest and competitiveness! The team may have "overperformed," but it was high time. Bottom line: many everyday holes to fill in order to keep up with the NL's best.

I was looking at the year's stats for these pitchers and the '79 Pirates staff. Except for the Bucs using many more hurlers this season, the overall totals are remarkably comparable. And that '79 Championship club won just 4 more regular season games than this crew.

Of course, the '79 team's lineup was formidable all-around once Madlock and Foli were on board. They scored 4.8 runs per contest. This 2013 club failed to average four runs a game, which was a huge burden on both starters and relievers. Both squads had strong defensive play.

So, yeah, nice work in 2013 in generating authentic interest and competitiveness! The team may have "overperformed," but it was high time. Bottom line: many everyday holes to fill in order to keep up with the NL's best.
the 79 team had better cocaine

Let's see what ownership and management do now. Who they pay and how much will tell us a lot now about how serious these guys have been about building a contender.

When Polanco arrives, will this have the potential to be the best defensive outfield ever? He's projected to be better than Cutch and Marte. :shock:

When Polanco arrives, will this have the potential to be the best defensive outfield ever? He's projected to be better than Cutch and Marte. :shock:
The Billy Ball A's had the best group I've ever seen. A young Rickey could get to anything in left. Dwayne Murphy was a perennial Gold Glover in an era of excellent CFs. Tony Armas had a cannon in right and could still run in those days.

The Billy Ball A's had the best group I've ever seen. A young Rickey could get to anything in left. Dwayne Murphy was a perennial Gold Glover in an era of excellent CFs. Tony Armas had a cannon in right and could still run in those days.
Yup I was probably exaggerating a bit but I'm definitely excited to see this outfield. I would like to see them move Marte to right and put Polanco in left.

Users who are viewing this thread