What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pittsburgh Pirates 2013 Thread*** (1 Viewer)

The Pirates would see a pack of gum as too expensive.

Interesting that Logan Morrison is being discussed. The irony is the Marlins aren't keen on having him back and gave Garrett Jones a 2 year contract instead. Morrison is younger and cheaper, which makes him appealing to the Bucs. So, Jones was dispatched to Miami, and we may get the guy he replaces. Hard to consider that an upgrade after the past 2 disappointing seasons. We already have a Travis Snider.
I'd hate to give up anything for Morrison, I think he is at best = to Garrett Jones, which isnt saying alot.

I'm hoping for Loney or Morse.

Morse reportedly looking for a one year deal at 8 million per. Perfect deal for the Pirates. They are not mentioned as possible suitors, however.

Balco said:
Morse reportedly looking for a one year deal at 8 million per. Perfect deal for the Pirates. They are not mentioned as possible suitors, however.
I dont understand why either, he would be a great bounce back candidate for them.

Pirates sign Charlie Morton to three-year extension

by Al Melchior | Data Analyst

Yahoo! Sports reports that the Pirates signed starting pitcher Charlie Morton to a three-year contract extension Wednesday. The deal will pay the sinkerballer $21 million through 2016 and includes a $9.5 million team option for 2017 as well as incentives and a $1 million buyout.

Morton was arbitration eligible and set to become a free agent after the 2014 season. In 2013, he made 20 starts in his return from Tommy John surgery, going 7-4 with a 3.26 ERA.

First a deal for Morton where he'd earn $4 million in 2014, and then, for icing on the cake, a $5 million 2014 contract signing for Edison Volquez! If he can just come close to contributing the way Contreras did in 2013, you're talking locked and loaded.

What a day it's been . . for all of us! NH is a riverboat gambler.

BREAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pirates resign SS Clint Barmes to a 1 yr deal.

:lol:
I actually think that is the right move. Now, sign Loney. Sign Burnett or another pitcher perhaps for Searage to save. I think they are staying put at RF and hoping something clicks with one of the guys on the roster, and if not, if over .500 in July they will make a move again.

BREAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pirates resign SS Clint Barmes to a 1 yr deal.

:lol:
I actually think that is the right move. Now, sign Loney. Sign Burnett or another pitcher perhaps for Searage to save. I think they are staying put at RF and hoping something clicks with one of the guys on the roster, and if not, if over .500 in July they will make a move again.
1 yr, $2 mil

I like this signing alot; late inning defender/Morton SS

not at all excited about the volquez signing.

not going to question and rip it apart yet. but i'm prepared to in september.

i believe in the pirates. i'm just going to remain optimistic.

Loney stays in Tampa. 3 years, 21 million. A bit of a hometown discount maybe.

Was a lot better hitting on the road than at their park. But playing in Florida has perks making it attractive

Loney stays in Tampa. 3 years, 21 million. A bit of a hometown discount maybe.

Was a lot better hitting on the road than at their park. But playing in Florida has perks making it attractive
Not sure who the Pirates plan on pursuing now. Morse, Morneau, and Loney off market. Lyle Overbay? Kevin Youklis?

I think the Pirates stand pat, unless a name veteran with no options come Spring is willing to take a modest contract. They seem not to want to part with young talent, and sign position players at less than market value. Russell Martin was an exception.

We don't talk about James McDonald or Jeff Locke. Have hitters figured them out? Volquez moving into the rotation has been announced, and Searage could replace Criss Angel in Las Vegas if he can pull off this miracle of reviving Volquez's effectiveness.

A friend recently attended a luncheon where Nutting was the guest speaker and he agreed to take baseball questions. The guy with my friend asked about re-signing AJ Burnett. Nutting jokingly said "Next question." And folks cracked up. I think he gave some standard answer about needing two parties to come together, etc.

I think the Pirates stand pat, unless a name veteran with no options come Spring is willing to take a modest contract. They seem not to want to part with young talent, and sign position players at less than market value. Russell Martin was an exception.

We don't talk about James McDonald or Jeff Locke. Have hitters figured them out? Volquez moving into the rotation has been announced, and Searage could replace Criss Angel in Las Vegas if he can pull off this miracle of reviving Volquez's effectiveness.

A friend recently attended a luncheon where Nutting was the guest speaker and he agreed to take baseball questions. The guy with my friend asked about re-signing AJ Burnett. Nutting jokingly said "Next question." And folks cracked up. I think he gave some standard answer about needing two parties to come together, etc.
The Pirates confirmed they were in on Loney. So I definitely don't think they will stand pat at first. They need a platoon partner for Sanchez. I still can't figure out why they didn't go after Morse. He would be perfect as a platoon player at 1B and RF. 1 year 5 mil is not a lot.

When you look at their roster, and understand that they have a bunch of blue chippers on the horizon, I don't think they needed to make a high signing. Marte, McCutchen and Tabata is a fine outfield, and Polanco should be arriving mid year. There really was no fit at SS as the pickings were slim.

I still think they need some more offense, but can't really fault them for not making a huge signing. I think Loney's contract was a fair one.

Still think they can use a middle reliever. They have several starters, with a couple big time prospects on the horizon. Jameson Taillon should be up mid year. Some say he has a higher ceiling than Gerit Cole.

The Pirates confirmed they were in on Loney. So I definitely don't think they will stand pat at first. They need a platoon partner for Sanchez. I still can't figure out why they didn't go after Morse. He would be perfect as a platoon player at 1B and RF. 1 year 5 mil is not a lot.

When you look at their roster, and understand that they have a bunch of blue chippers on the horizon, I don't think they needed to make a high signing. Marte, McCutchen and Tabata is a fine outfield, and Polanco should be arriving mid year. There really was no fit at SS as the pickings were slim.

I still think they need some more offense, but can't really fault them for not making a huge signing. I think Loney's contract was a fair one.

Still think they can use a middle reliever. They have several starters, with a couple big time prospects on the horizon. Jameson Taillon should be up mid year. Some say he has a higher ceiling than Gerit Cole.
Who else is available at first? How about a trade for Smoak? Unfortunately I think lambo is their answer for this season at least. That scares me a little but I'll give NH the benefit of the doubt.

Eric Chavez, eh? Is Jason Thompson not playing anymore? Or Richie Hebner?

Actually, if Chavez wanted to play for the Pirates, he would be pretty good. Despite being 36, he seems to have regained his power stroke the past two years. I find it intriguing when a player supposedly on the decline and having dealt with injuries suddenly becomes as good as he was ten years ago. Like Roger Clemens..

Rumored interest/talks about Ike Davis now. The messageboards think it would take at least Locke in a trade. He'd be a good platoon, is relatively cheap, and under control through 2016. Defensive issues, I guess though.

Rumored interest/talks about Ike Davis now. The messageboards think it would take at least Locke in a trade. He'd be a good platoon, is relatively cheap, and under control through 2016. Defensive issues, I guess though.
I'd trade Locke in a heartbeat for a 1B w/ power.

I'd trade Locke in a heartbeat for a 1B w/ power.
Yup Locke is nothing special (# 5 starter). Ike has never lived up to his potential but who knows? At worst, he's a good platoon option at a position where they desperately need power. I could live with a Gaby/Ike platoon at first.

Chavez re-signed with Arizona. That's crazy. Like Loney, who'd want to play in a warm weather location on a potential contender instead of a cold-weather place and pitchers' ballpark whose club just had their 1st winning season in 21 years?

:yawn:

Now it looks like the Mets want a Kingham type pitcher or better for Davis.

Still no word on AJ?

That attendance record has done wonders this off-season . . . .

:yawn:

Now it looks like the Mets want a Kingham type pitcher or better for Davis.

Still no word on AJ?

That attendance record has done wonders this off-season . . . .
If they are going to sign "name" free agents, I think next of season will be the time to do it. I think they overachieved last season, and the big year will be 2015. Polanco and Tallon will have arrived, as well as a couple other highly touted prospects.

Left handed 1B problem solved:

Pirates swap pitcher for first baseman December 30, 2013 3:54 PM Share with others:

inShare
print_email.gif
By Bill Brink / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Pirates on Monday acquired first baseman Chris McGuiness from the Texas Rangers organization in exchange for right-hander Miles Mikolas.

McGuiness, 25, made his major league debut in 2013. He spent most of the season with Class AAA Round Rock, where he hit .246 with a .369 on-base percentage and 11 home runs in 436 plate appearances. He hit 23 home runs while with Class AA Frisco in 2012.

The Rangers designated the left-handed McGuiness for assignment last week to make room for Shin-Soo Choo on the 40-man roster. The Pirates added McGuiness to their 40-man, according to their official Web site Monday. He still has minor league options remaining and could begin the season at Class AAA Indianapolis.

The Boston Red Sox originally drafted McGuiness in the 13th round out of the Citadel in 2009. He went to Texas in the deal that brought Jarrod Saltalamacchia to Boston. The Cleveland Indians selected him in the 2012 Rule 5 draft, but returned him to Texas.

The Pirates traded for Mikolas, 25, in late November. They received Mikolas and outfielder Jaff Decker from the San Diego Padres in exchange for Alex Dickerson. Mikolas pitched in two games for the Padres in 2013, but had a 3.62 ERA in 25 relief appearances in '12
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pirates/2013/12/30/Pirates-swap-pitcher-for-first-baseman/stories/201312300145#ixzz2p4OA57hF

Pirates swap pitcher for first baseman December 30, 2013 3:54 PMShare with others:

0inShare
print_email.gif

The Pirates on Monday acquired first baseman Chris McGuiness from the Texas Rangers organization in exchange for right-hander Miles Mikolas.

McGuiness, 25, made his major league debut in 2013. He spent most of the season with Class AAA Round Rock, where he hit .246 with a .369 on-base percentage and 11 home runs in 436 plate appearances. He hit 23 home runs while with Class AA Frisco in 2012.

The Rangers designated the left-handed McGuiness for assignment last week to make room for Shin-Soo Choo on the 40-man roster. The Pirates added McGuiness to their 40-man, according to their official Web site Monday. He still has minor league options remaining and could begin the season at Class AAA Indianapolis.

The Boston Red Sox originally drafted McGuiness in the 13th round out of the Citadel in 2009. He went to Texas in the deal that brought Jarrod Saltalamacchia to Boston. The Cleveland Indians selected him in the 2012 Rule 5 draft, but returned him to Texas.

The Pirates traded for Mikolas, 25, in late November. They received Mikolas and outfielder Jaff Decker from the San Diego Padres in exchange for Alex Dickerson. Mikolas pitched in two games for the Padres in 2013, but had a 3.62 ERA in 25 relief appearances in '12
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pirates/2013/12/30/Pirates-swap-pitcher-for-first-baseman/stories/201312300145#ixzz2p4OA57hF
Saw him play here at The Citadel a few years back. Nice hitter, but just can't see CM making it to MLB. Weren't the Pirates high on Mikolas? Thought they were. What happened? Quite honestly, I just can't keep up with all the changes NH and company have been making to bring the team back down to .500.

monessen said:

Pirates swap pitcher for first baseman December 30, 2013 3:54 PMShare with others:

0inShare
print_email.gif

Saw him play here at The Citadel a few years back. Nice hitter, but just can't see CM making it to MLB. Weren't the Pirates high on Mikolas? Thought they were. What happened? Quite honestly, I just can't keep up with all the changes NH and company have been making to bring the team back down to .500.
I really wanted to see McGuiness succeed, as Texas could have used someone to step up at 1B last year, but he never really showed he could be anything more than a AAAA player, and now blocked by Prince.

Any homer opinions on Mikolas?

monessen said:

0inShare
print_email.gif

I was being sarcastic. They either have another trade in them, or this guy and Lambo will fight it out in spring training.

Yep. I kinda knew you were joking. Just wanted to offer a take on having seen the guy play college ball. Lambo is probably either the short-term guy or there will be a veteran coming in who's even more of a temporary answer to platoon with Gaby S.

With Gaby and Justin Morneau, the Bucs had 2 first baseman in 2013 once known for their power but seemed limited to a decent on-base percentage as their offensive contributions.

Unrelated to this topic but quasi-Pirate related: There were plenty of bad deals in the past decade. But seeing Jeff Suppan retire today made me recall he pitched well during his short tenure with the Bucs. And getting Freddy Sanchez and Mike Gonzalez wasn't a bad return from Boston for a dinged-up and return-to-sender Brandon Lyon with Suppan. Though Suppan helped a few post-season teams in his career, his Pirate stats were among his best.

Sanchez was an everyday player with a terrific batting average and Gonzalez had a few good seasons as a set-up man.

Yep. I kinda knew you were joking. Just wanted to offer a take on having seen the guy play college ball. Lambo is probably either the short-term guy or there will be a veteran coming in who's even more of a temporary answer to platoon with Gaby S.

With Gaby and Justin Morneau, the Bucs had 2 first baseman in 2013 once known for their power but seemed limited to a decent on-base percentage as their offensive contributions.

Unrelated to this topic but quasi-Pirate related: There were plenty of bad deals in the past decade. But seeing Jeff Suppan retire today made me recall he pitched well during his short tenure with the Bucs. And getting Freddy Sanchez and Mike Gonzalez wasn't a bad return from Boston for a dinged-up and return-to-sender Brandon Lyon with Suppan. Though Suppan helped a few post-season teams in his career, his Pirate stats were among his best.

Sanchez was an everyday player with a terrific batting average and Gonzalez had a few good seasons as a set-up man.
That was a great trade for the Buccos. Up there with the Morton/Locke (for McLouth) and the Tabta/McCutchen/Karstens (for Nady/Marte) and the Jack Wilson (for Christiansen) deals in recent memory

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread