What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pittsburgh Pirates 2013 Thread*** (1 Viewer)

I don't know how but the pirates need to find a 1b next year. The slop that they've been throwing out there for years isn't going to cut it.
Internal solution may be Lambo (has experience at the position, carries a big bat), external solution I think we are going to be looking at a James Loney type.

Leeroy Jenkins said:
I don't know how but the pirates need to find a 1b next year. The slop that they've been throwing out there for years isn't going to cut it.
Internal solution may be Lambo (has experience at the position, carries a big bat), external solution I think we are going to be looking at a James Loney type.
Going after that Cuban defector would really show commitment to winning.
The White Sox signed Abreu last week.

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Going after that Cuban defector would really show commitment to winning.
The White Sox signed Abreu last week.
Jerks.

Pittsburgh folk- looking to get a gift card for the Pirates for a friend. Do they still sell them at Giant Eagle? Can't seem to find them online. Gracias.

You know, I don't really think Ed Reed was much help against Buffalo on Nov 17th. Maybe in a subsequent week, but I really believe McCutchen's achievement merited more time on ESPN which will doubtlessly dissect the Jets-Bills game like it was the Zapruda film of JFK.

monessen said:
You know, I don't really think Ed Reed was much help against Buffalo on Nov 17th. Maybe in a subsequent week, but I really believe McCutchen's achievement merited more time on ESPN which will doubtlessly dissect the Jets-Bills game like it was the Zapruda film of JFK.
:lol:

Zapruder. Sorry.

And I realize it's football season. But if Andrew played for a major-market team, he'd get more attention. And that's no myth. Yeah, I know coverage has been about what a "nice" story this is as part of a long-awaited winning Pirate season. But has anyone seen McCutchen interviewed anywhere? He's as MIA as AJ Burnett and his agent.

Can't really say that I care one way or the other regarding Burnett coming back. Pros and cons to each, all of which has been stated here or elsewhere (we all know them). But with the talent the Buccos already have, I am of the opinion that the money that would be used to ink Burnett would be better spent elsewhere.

With Jhonny Peralta getting 52+ mil & 4 year contract from the Cards, Bucs won't be players in the key free agent market if the Peralta price is the going rate. They may as well try Lambo and his ilk at various positions.

With Jhonny Peralta getting 52+ mil & 4 year contract from the Cards, Bucs won't be players in the key free agent market if the Peralta price is the going rate. They may as well try Lambo and his ilk at various positions.
There will be players in the bargain bin. They just need to be patient. Trades might be an option as well. Mitch Moreland available with the signing of Prince Fielder.

Pirates trade Alex Dickerson (1B/OF prospect) to Padres for OF Jaff Decker and RHP Miles Mikolas (both prospects)

To make room on 40-man roster, OF/1B Garrett Jones and RHP Kyle McPherson DFA'd

There will be players in the bargain bin. They just need to be patient. Trades might be an option as well. Mitch Moreland available with the signing of Prince Fielder.
Not sure Moreland is available. He could play first with Prince being DH.

Sorry to see Garrett Jones go ... Always liked him. Hope he lands on his feet in the major leagues.

Thanks for the memories Garrett.

I hope Morton isn't expecting a 4-year deal at 8-12 million a season like Vargas or Nolasco. That won't be coming from the Pirates.

Morneau signs with Rockies at 14 million for 2 years. Would have to think Loney would take 2 years, at 12 million, a fair price for him.

The Pirates really need to get in touch with his agent. Good defense, solid bat.

Morneau signs with Rockies at 14 million for 2 years. Would have to think Loney would take 2 years, at 12 million, a fair price for him.

The Pirates really need to get in touch with his agent. Good defense, solid bat.
think i read loney wants 3 and 20, or more than morneau ...

i do not want loney

think i read loney wants 3 and 20, or more than morneau ...

i do not want loney
3 years is too much, I wonder if his market is zero with that request. With the Pirates payroll concerns, I just think Loney fits well for the right price. Solid D, good, not great, hitter.

I would also invite some former prospects to spring training, like Matt Gamel.

The team is skilled in the art of "watchful waiting (or "waitful watching"), the capacity to hold off until the first two tiers of talent are unavailable before wading into what is left.

Somehow, I think AJ Burnett is probably gone. How'd that happen? He made many statements saying he'd be back with the Pirates or retire, which means he'll be with a different club in 2014. Near the end of the '92 season, Barry Bonds questioned why anyone would possibly think he'd leave a good team like the Bucs.

On another note, Charlie Morton and Scott Feldman are both 30. Morton is coming off a decent season following successful surgery, and everyone just raves about his stuff. Feldman has a lifetime 4.62 ERA and Morton has a career 4.70 ERA. Feldman presumably is asking for a 3 year, $30 million contract. Question: Will Morton receive an offer for 2 years and $8 million or will it be lower than that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Phrases that do not inspire confidence from Pirate fans regarding possible acquisitions:

"The club is kicking the tires on . . . "

"The Pirates are reaching out to the agent for . . ."

"On the Pirates' wish list is/are . . ."

"The Pirates have joined the Dodgers, Angels, Yankees, and Reds as potential suitors for . . ."

"He is said to be considering a multi-year deal from the Royals or Indians instead."

Post your favorites!

monessen said:
Phrases that do not inspire confidence from Pirate fans regarding possible acquisitions:

"The club is kicking the tires on . . . "

"The Pirates are reaching out to the agent for . . ."

"On the Pirates' wish list is/are . . ."

"The Pirates have joined the Dodgers, Angels, Yankees, and Reds as potential suitors for . . ."

"He is said to be considering a multi-year deal from the Royals or Indians instead."

Post your favorites!
Pirates are "no longer in the hunt" for Robinson Cano. But James Loney is "still on their radar." Pittsburgh is also seen as a potential "landing place" for Ike Davis. "For the right package," David Price may be available. Rafael Furcal "was the subject of recent conversations." Other names "linked to the Pirates" are Mitch Moreland and Mark Trumbo.Writing sports blurbs is easy. Jot down as many cliches as you can, then plug in names and teams.

monessen said:
Phrases that do not inspire confidence from Pirate fans regarding possible acquisitions:"The club is kicking the tires on . . . ""The Pirates are reaching out to the agent for . . .""On the Pirates' wish list is/are . . .""The Pirates have joined the Dodgers, Angels, Yankees, and Reds as potential suitors for . . .""He is said to be considering a multi-year deal from the Royals or Indians instead."Post your favorites!
Very true. We all know they are not making any significant moves this year but I'm actually ok with that. This team will live or die with based on how their prospects end up. NH made some nice attempts this August when it was clear the team would compete for a playoff spot. I just want him to continue with that philosophy. The Pirates will never be in a position to pay the Canos of this world 240 mil...... :shrug:

So what do we think it would take to get Trumbo? I really would consider trading anybody not named Taillon for him. I'd consider even Polanco, but maybe I am crazy. Loney or Morales would work too, if they are willing to sign at reasonable prices. Trumbo's raw power is so tempting and needed though IMO.

One of AJ, Arroyo, or Colon needs to be signed, otherwise, just go with what is in the system.

Maybe Barmes comes back at a reasonable price to backup Mercer now that Furcal signed elsewhere.

Given the trade and tender to Snider, they aren't going after a RF.

Who else would make sense?

So what do we think it would take to get Trumbo? I really would consider trading anybody not named Taillon for him. I'd consider even Polanco, but maybe I am crazy. Loney or Morales would work too, if they are willing to sign at reasonable prices. Trumbo's raw power is so tempting and needed though IMO.

One of AJ, Arroyo, or Colon needs to be signed, otherwise, just go with what is in the system.

Maybe Barmes comes back at a reasonable price to backup Mercer now that Furcal signed elsewhere.

Given the trade and tender to Snider, they aren't going after a RF.

Who else would make sense?
There may be a riot in Pittsburgh if they trade Polanco straight up for Trumbo. Trumbo hits a ton of HRs but strikes out a lot and doesn't really get on base much. He's basically a right-handed version of Pedro and we all know what his limitations are. In 2013, Trumbo had a 2.2 WAR, which is probably attainable with a Sanchez/Loney type platoon. Polanco is almost major league ready and would likely give the Pirates a top 3 outfield for the next 4-5 years. I know prospects don't always pan out but Polanco is damn near a sure thing to be a very good outfielder.

Wouldn't the Angels would have to bowled over by an offer to give up Trumbo? Am not sure Pujols or Hamilton can be counted on for a full season after what happened with them in 2013. But given that Seattle now a "player" in big-time free agency and the Rangers and A's likely will be competitive again, the Angels may be inclined to shake things up. Trout would need some serious line-up protection though.

We've not heard, at least on the Pirates' end, any name the Angels have expressed interest in. I mean, Trumbo to Bucs is the rage, but you'd think a player from this end would surface in trade talks unless I'm missing it.

Well, once you check out the Angels' pitching staff, yes, they need more arms.

However, Fred is right on Trumbo's limitations. I didn't look it up, but I seem to remember a lot of strikeouts with runners on.

On the bright side, we're only talking about a half of a first baseman and a 4th or 5th starter in regards to the Buccos needs. Which is vastly different from just a few years ago.

On the bright side, we're only talking about a half of a first baseman and a 4th or 5th starter in regards to the Buccos needs. Which is vastly different from just a few years ago.
Yeah but now they have to worry regressing to the mean

Yup they'll have a need at catcher when Martin is done. Can we count on Sanchez to be that guy? Who knows. SS is still a definite question mark and Walker is really just an average 2b IMO. Couple that with some possible regression to the mean in the rotation and we have a team that I'm not sure what we will get out of in 2014. Regardless, it's so much more exciting to follow baseball now than it has been in a long time

Yup they'll have a need at catcher when Martin is done. Can we count on Sanchez to be that guy? Who knows. SS is still a definite question mark and Walker is really just an average 2b IMO. Couple that with some possible regression to the mean in the rotation and we have a team that I'm not sure what we will get out of in 2014. Regardless, it's so much more exciting to follow baseball now than it has been in a long time
They need another bat to protect and/or take pressure off of Pedro. I would prefer it be from RF and keep a good defense/platoon situation 1B, but I'm not sure how to solve that really. I don't think the Bucs would trade for Trumbo to play right AND sign Loney, but that could work. I doubt they can afford to do that either. I think they are counting on Lambo to either play RF or 1B a lot and for he and/or Snider to take a big step. I agree that Walker is overrated. I'm not sure what the replacements out there are like though. When is Hanson ready? I think they re-sign Barmes and use him and Mercer like late in the season.

Morse would appear to be a solid option. Can platoon with Sanchez at first (.281 avg .820 OPS last 3 years v. righties) and can play RF when he is not playing first. Can't see him being too expensive.

The Pirates would see a pack of gum as too expensive.

Interesting that Logan Morrison is being discussed. The irony is the Marlins aren't keen on having him back and gave Garrett Jones a 2 year contract instead. Morrison is younger and cheaper, which makes him appealing to the Bucs. So, Jones was dispatched to Miami, and we may get the guy he replaces. Hard to consider that an upgrade after the past 2 disappointing seasons. We already have a Travis Snider.

Users who are viewing this thread