What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2015 College Football Thread *** (4 Viewers)

I rather like the Pink Helmets, but I guess I'm just one of those weird guys that doesn't like cancer. :shrug:

Plus, getting the women folk to LIKE your football team and encourage you to continue supporting them with season tickets and eyeballs on Saturday is a good thing, n'est pas?

I have a bigger concern in that he may watch Louisville vs Virginia. The eye test is a horrible indicator....especially watching a good team wreck a bad one.

IMO they need some sort of RPI that is entirely objective. Everyone knows the score and knows where they stand. You then tweak off that, but a pure eye test is going to be awful. Hell, if it were me I'd use an RPI system to get the top 6 teams and only allow those to be selected from. Backtest it to make sure it was reasonable in past years. But too many people would object because they think team A was better than team B because they watched Baylor wreck Buffalo worse than OSU or other garbage.
:hifive: Using the polls as they are would be SSDD. I REALLY hope that doesn't happen, but wouldn't be surprised at all if it did.
The Commish said:
To me, it's more likely that an rpi-esque system evolves and it would be used to fill your resource requirement.
I would rather take the human element completely out of it than rely more on it. I would hate to see more scenarios like last year, when Big 12 coaches blatantly tried to boost Oklahoma and downgrade Northern Illinois in the final polls to try to "game" the final BCS picture.

Of course, the RPI as it is currently constructed is flawed, as well. We've already argued to death the merits of strict win-loss vs. some sort of system that includes game scores. It can be done, but trying to convince the NCAA to do it the right way is another thing altogether.

I have a bigger concern in that he may watch Louisville vs Virginia. The eye test is a horrible indicator....especially watching a good team wreck a bad one.

IMO they need some sort of RPI that is entirely objective. Everyone knows the score and knows where they stand. You then tweak off that, but a pure eye test is going to be awful. Hell, if it were me I'd use an RPI system to get the top 6 teams and only allow those to be selected from. Backtest it to make sure it was reasonable in past years. But too many people would object because they think team A was better than team B because they watched Baylor wreck Buffalo worse than OSU or other garbage.
:hifive: Using the polls as they are would be SSDD. I REALLY hope that doesn't happen, but wouldn't be surprised at all if it did.
The Commish said:
To me, it's more likely that an rpi-esque system evolves and it would be used to fill your resource requirement.
I would rather take the human element completely out of it than rely more on it. I would hate to see more scenarios like last year, when Big 12 coaches blatantly tried to boost Oklahoma and downgrade Northern Illinois in the final polls to try to "game" the final BCS picture.

Of course, the RPI as it is currently constructed is flawed, as well. We've already argued to death the merits of strict win-loss vs. some sort of system that includes game scores. It can be done, but trying to convince the NCAA to do it the right way is another thing altogether.
Isn't it easier to "game" a non-human system? It's a system created by humans with no ability to do anything other than what it was designed to do. As for the football playoff, you don't have to worry about the NCAA...they aren't running this thing any more than they were running the BCS.

There would be holes to poke in any committee makeup that existed.

This is similar to the way the NCAA does it with basketball and baseball for the at large bids, no? And isn't this just a big at large 4-team playoff :shrug:

There would be holes to poke in any committee makeup that existed.

This is similar to the way the NCAA does it with basketball and baseball for the at large bids, no? And isn't this just a big at large 4-team playoff :shrug:
yep....I don't really buy into the "they don't watch all the games" angle for a couple reasons. #1. It's the way it is today and many cling to the polls as gospel in their arguments and #2. NO ONE who's on the committee is going to be able to watch all the teams play all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Commish said:

Isn't it easier to "game" a non-human system? It's a system created by humans with no ability to do anything other than what it was designed to do. As for the football playoff, you don't have to worry about the NCAA...they aren't running this thing any more than they were running the BCS.
It definitely is but you have to do it with schedule (which isn't a bad thing). The MVC did this in hoops a while back by scheduling a lot of road games vs top teams. Win or lose, it helped the whole conference's SOS. But what we're talking about there is actually scheduling tough games which I'm sure as hell not going to complain about.

What DD is talking about is that the coaches who vote in the poll that is part of the BCS tried to block NIU so that their conference got an extra at large. That to me is a problem but I'm not even really sure that happened. It's pretty normal for coaches to vote schools they are more familiar with higher. I doubt any of the Big 12 coaches were at all familiar with NIU.

The Commish said:

Maybe, if it's a poorly designed system. That was the case for a long time with the RPI in college basketball. BCS-type schools would use what advantages they already had, playing almost all home games in the non-conference while piling up wins and padding their numbers. Then a few years back, they modified the RPI calculation to include a home/away component, so that teams would be rewarded for going on the road and facing tough opposition.

Any properly designed system would have to be back-tested to fit what you already "know" about what happened in the past. What they couldn't do is what the BCS did for many years -- that is, if you don't like the results of what the computer is telling you, make them change the formulas, or change the computers you're using. This is why they took Margin of Victory out of the equation.

I guess I would rather have a well-designed system with no biases whatsoever, rather than trust a committee of people who may have a reason to look out for their own interests.

The Commish said:

It definitely is but you have to do it with schedule (which isn't a bad thing). The MVC did this in hoops a while back by scheduling a lot of road games vs top teams. Win or lose, it helped the whole conference's SOS. But what we're talking about there is actually scheduling tough games which I'm sure as hell not going to complain about.

What DD is talking about is that the coaches who vote in the poll that is part of the BCS tried to block NIU so that their conference got an extra at large. That to me is a problem but I'm not even really sure that happened. It's pretty normal for coaches to vote schools they are more familiar with higher. I doubt any of the Big 12 coaches were at all familiar with NIU.
It didn't happen, but you'd have a hard time convincing a lot of people that they didn't try.

Oklahoma vs. NIU

And as to your second point, wouldn't that be a potential concern with this committee, as well -- at least for those currently affiliated with a school/conference?

It's far easier to be biased when you don't have to look the other people in the eye and explain how you vote. With the coaches poll they can just vote and mail it in. And yeah, the votes become public but how much heat did Bob Stoops really get for that? Far different than really defending that vote to others. It's a concern, but I think less of one honestly

There's not going to be a perfect system to pick 4 teams from 10 conferences and independents. There never will be. But I think they can make the process decent enough. The committee process guided by an RPI has been fairly successful in other sports. They tweak RPI every now and then but for the most part, what they come up with makes sense.

UCLA and Michigan announce a home and home...for 2022-23.
Michigan's supposedly adding FL and a H/H with Arkansas as well. I want to say FL is in 2016?? My guess is it will be at their place or close by like Jax or ATL.
meanwhile, Ohio is on the phone with south alabama and cal poly.
The Buckeyes are looking at paying a big price for their non-conf this year so they might reconsider their approach.

Michigan's supposedly adding FL and a H/H with Arkansas as well. I want to say FL is in 2016?? My guess is it will be at their place or close by like Jax or ATL.
The Buckeyes are looking at paying a big price for their non-conf this year so they might reconsider their approach.
OSU has the following home/home matchups scheduled:

2014/15: Virginia Tech

2016/17: Oklahoma

2018/19: TCU

2020/21: Oregon

2022/23: Texas

No other real teams of note since they usually play a MAC team plus a couple of other low-profile teams. I like the future matchups, though.

Steve Spurrier: "Will be the 14th time I've coached in Neyland Stadium. ... I've coached there more than some of their head coaches."

General Malaise said:
I rather like the Pink Helmets, but I guess I'm just one of those weird guys that doesn't like cancer. :shrug:

Plus, getting the women folk to LIKE your football team and encourage you to continue supporting them with season tickets and eyeballs on Saturday is a good thing, n'est pas?
It's not about cancer. It's about selling ####y helmets and crap to dumb fans. Get real.

General Malaise said:

It's not about cancer. It's about selling ####y helmets and crap to dumb fans. Get real.
Or auctioning off ####ty helmets for charity. But whatever. :shrug:

Whew!

Was part of the road crew tonight for 560 WQAM down here, knew it was gonna be tough but this was hell. Lose Johnson, Dorsett, Morris was off all night, 4 turnovers, 80+ plays for NC, Miami defense bails them out and holds NC to 23 on those 80 plays, lucky to stay undefeated. FSU or Clemson would smoke Miami the way they are playing.

Miami top 25? Perhaps...top10? Not so much.

General Malaise said:

And playing up to women, ur both right.

Cap - what do you know about Jacob Coker? Rumor is he's transferring to Alabama this spring to take over after McCarron...supposedly Jimbo says he has a top level NFL arm.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
MAC_32 said:
The Commish said:
GDogg said:
How so? They're likely coasting to 12-0 and a really good shot at the NCG. Even if they end up 3rd or something and miss, you have to think that would be good for a playoff spot starting next year, especially with the name recognition of Ohio State.

Whew!

Was part of the road crew tonight for 560 WQAM down here, knew it was gonna be tough but this was hell. Lose Johnson, Dorsett, Morris was off all night, 4 turnovers, 80+ plays for NC, Miami defense bails them out and holds NC to 23 on those 80 plays, lucky to stay undefeated. FSU or Clemson would smoke Miami the way they are playing.

Miami top 25? Perhaps...top10? Not so much.
Yeah, that was a game Mia should have lost. It all starts with Morris. For a guy who's supposed to be a first round talent, he is just way too inconsistent. I'm tired of hearing about how big his arm is. Just throw the ball accurately and stop making stupid decisions. It seems the offense really lost all momentum when Duke went out and they got away from the run. On D, I haven't seen the DBS play that poorly all year. Eyes in the backfield and blown assignments all game. I'm sure the injuries to both starting safeties had something to do with that.

At the end of the day a win is a win. Plenty of teams are struggling on the road vs conference opponents right now so coming away with the win is all that really matters. Why Mia continually plays bellow their talent level vs. UNC I have no idea. This team should have won that game by 14.

As for Clemson and FSU, we've known for a long time they are the class of the conference. I never expected Mia to catch up with them this year. Yeah, if they played either of those teams last night it would have been a shellacking. We get do see that FSU team in just 2 weeks and it's a road game. If Mia wins that one it will be a major upset IMO. They are capable of winning the game if Morris gets his #### together.

BigJohn said:
culdeus said:
Let's let some Vegas guys do the playoffs. They know what's up and have few agendas.
As certain to never happen as this is, it's probably the best idea.
If the current system doesn't already ignore actual results on the field enough, this would be the final straw. A team like Alabama could lose every remotely losable game all season and Vegas would still have them in the top 4 of their rankings. You think I'm exaggerating, but let them decide between an 8-4 Alabama team and a 12-0 Ohio St on a neutral field right now and I'm sure Bama would be favored. Game results do almost nothing to Vegas opinions.

Cap - what do you know about Jacob Coker? Rumor is he's transferring to Alabama this spring to take over after McCarron...supposedly Jimbo says he has a top level NFL arm.
Huge arm, quick feet, lost to Jameis by a nose hair and that wasn't pandering to Coker either to make him feel good. It was a legit race all summer. Definite NFL prospect. Knowing what we know now about Jameis that's pretty impressive. I hope he gets to transfer and it would be awesome of Jimbo to let him to to a school like Bama but I would be shocked. Gotta think the Noles figure their best title shot is next year and that's the definition of beefing up the opponent.

Edit: Unless he is graduating early and can freely leave. I haven't kept up on if he can. Only his second year at the school I believe so that would be moving quick.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
MAC_32 said:
The Commish said:
GDogg said:
How so? They're likely coasting to 12-0 and a really good shot at the NCG. Even if they end up 3rd or something and miss, you have to think that would be good for a playoff spot starting next year, especially with the name recognition of Ohio State.
That's my takeaway, sure Logan Thomas never developed but picking a series with Va Tech right when they're transitioning to a new QB seemed like an interesting decision, especially considering they had an opportunity to play Louisville this year and opted for San Diego State instead, keeping their cupcake non conference schedule intact.

Chicken ####'s.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
MAC_32 said:
The Commish said:
GDogg said:
That's my takeaway, sure Logan Thomas never developed but picking a series with Va Tech right when they're transitioning to a new QB seemed like an interesting decision, especially considering they had an opportunity to play Louisville this year and opted for San Diego State instead, keeping their cupcake non conference schedule intact.

Chicken ####'s.
:lmao: :lmao:

My take...

A four team playoff ensures with high regularity that all the teams with the resume to play for a title are playing without greatly increasing the rate of playoff teams that have no claim to being a title team.

If you increase the playoffs, the regular season of college football changes completely. I understand many don't care about the sacred regular season but for those that do, the four team playoff is a great step and possibly the only step needed.

As for the committee, the pool of teams that have any case for being top 4 at the end of the year will be rather smaller than 100+. Of course, they can't watch every game all year but they surely can watch replays of every games they miss for the teams that are in the running at the end. There is no question that the committee could have seen every single game from the top 20 or 25 teams at the end of the year. Just not live which is impossible anyways.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
MAC_32 said:
The Commish said:
GDogg said:
I don't know if it will end up that way. But I would consider a 12-0 BCS conference team that misses out on a NCG bid because of its OOC schedule to be "paying a big price."

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
MAC_32 said:
The Commish said:
GDogg said:
I don't know if it will end up that way. But I would consider a 12-0 BCS conference team that misses out on a NCG bid because of its OOC schedule to be "paying a big price."
Sure, if that happens they will pay a price. And if they finish in 2nd because they didn't have to play anybody and get to the NCG then it helped them. Personally I think the odds that staying undefeated helps them is higher than the odds that 2 higher teams go undefeated and OSU would have beaten a tougher schedule and that tougher schedule would have put them in the top 2. Just my opinion though.

...and if they go undefeated and are held out of the championship game, buckeye fan gets to spend the next 9 months clucking about going undefeated for two consecutive seasons and not get a chance at the title.

Should be fun.

The way they have been playing this is moot though, they will lose somewhere along the line.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
MAC_32 said:
The Commish said:
GDogg said:
Sure, if that happens they will pay a price. And if they finish in 2nd because they didn't have to play anybody and get to the NCG then it helped them. Personally I think the odds that staying undefeated helps them is higher than the odds that 2 higher teams go undefeated and OSU would have beaten a tougher schedule and that tougher schedule would have put them in the top 2. Just my opinion though.
I agree. Essentially OSU just needs 3 of 4 teams to fall; Bama, Oregon, Clemson and FSU. While it seems unlikely now, history tells us having several unbeaten's from BCS conferences is rare. All of those teams have major hurdles to come. Clemson and FSU will cancel one of each other out. A possible sleeper is Mia seeing they are still unbeaten. If they run the table then their final body of work will be strong. There is a slim chance of that happening though. OSU really just has Michigan as their most difficult game the rest of the way. We all know my thoughts on Michigan... I don't think OSU should have much problems there. Of course rivalry games as big as that can always be a major problem and anything can happen. I hope Michigan pulls it off but don't expect it.

They also could be tested in the BTCG. They'll be decent sized favorites over MSU/NEB, but that will be a game IMO.

They also could be tested in the BTCG. They'll be decent sized favorites over MSU/NEB, but that will be a game IMO.
True. I still think Michigan is the biggest hurdle due to rivalry and I believe it being at Michigan. OSU is significantly better than anyone in the BIG so they should be heavy favorites in all their games.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
MAC_32 said:
The Commish said:
GDogg said:
I guess I don't think they have a really good shot at the NCG. I still think a 1-loss SEC team goes ahead of them and maybe a 1-loss PAC10 team. The Buckeyes SOS is going to be atrocious at the end.

Based on how we're playing I don't think it happens, but you can't rule out Michigan here. Northwestern too for that matter. They still need to play everyone in front of them and one of Sparty/Nebraska will lose to each other so the winner of that game just needs one other loss.

Both Northwestern and Michigan matchup well. I'm reserving my opinion Sparty's chances against Ohio, the offense has made strides the last two weeks but it may be a mirage. They have the defense to slow down Ohio, but can they score at least the mid 20's? They'll probably have to. Nebraska would get waxed though. Ohio would score 40 blind folded.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
MAC_32 said:
The Commish said:
GDogg said:
I guess I don't think they have a really good shot at the NCG. I still think a 1-loss SEC team goes ahead of them and maybe a 1-loss PAC10 team. The Buckeyes SOS is going to be atrocious at the end.
It depends which team, how they lose, and what they do in the others game but yes, absolutely possible. I'd even say probable.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
MAC_32 said:
The Commish said:
GDogg said:
This is possible but rather remote. The way the Harris and Coaches polls work, people mostly rank on # of losses and then teams. It's ######ed but true. So OSU will almost certainly be ranked above a 1-loss SEC or PAC team just like last year with Notre Dame. If a 13-0 OSU is #2 in the human polls and a 1-loss LSU or Bama was #3, you'd need the computers to come out about 6 spots higher. Given OSU is right now averaging 8 in the computer polls, they'd likely need to drop from here which is almost impossible.

Louisville on the other hand may have no chance. They have already been jumped by 2 SEC 1-loss teams in the human polls and their computer profile will never be good. I think an undefeated Baylor or Texas Tech may also have a bit to worry about because they are also behind multiple 1-loss SEC teams and have no real marquee games to jump them. They'll probably still pass the 1-loss teams later, but the actual number of votes matters and it will likely be razor thin in the human polls (and they won't catch them in the computers)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/bcs

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
MAC_32 said:
The Commish said:
GDogg said:
Personally, I think you're discounting the name brand aspect too much. If someone else had the same season, I'd agree. With Ohio State on their jerseys, I don't think there is any chance they are passed for a 1 loss team at least in the human polls. Has there been a case yet where someone was 1 or 2 in polls, but computers were so bad they didn't go to NCG? I honestly don't know.

OSU will almost certainly be ranked above a 1-loss SEC or PAC team just like last year with Notre Dame.
Disagree. Notre Dame's schedule last year got them over the 'we are not sure if they are good enough' hurdle. Two great wins over Stanford and Oklahoma and I believe every other win was over a team that ended the season 500 or better except for Wake Forest. The demolition of Miami really sticks out too.

Ohio doesn't have that right now. They have two good (not great) wins and both were in the balance late, they don't have many opportunities coming up either. And they played 4 cupcakes non-conference. Cal actually outscored them over the last 54 minutes of the game and Buffalo had the game in the balance in the mid 3rd but had a sack-strip that would have given them the ball on the 1 and an opportunity to get within 3 called back due to a penalty. Ohio pounded San Diego St, give some credit for that win, but no credit for Florida A&M. If they want to stay ahead of all the 1 loss teams they need to start killing lesser opponents.

I hope a bunch of undefeateds get screwed over this year. Makes the lack of playoff teams more glaring and yet teaches those teams to quit scheduling cupcakes.

Does anyone think there is a chance the winner of the Clemson/FSU game jumps Oregon this week in the polls? I think it's a remote possibility, personally. What's more interesting about it is I think this game could serve Oregon best of anyone. This winner of this game could steal #1 votes from Bama and open up a shot for Oregon to move to #1.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
MAC_32 said:
The Commish said:
GDogg said:

Chicken ####'s.
This isn't true.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
MAC_32 said:
The Commish said:
GDogg said:

Chicken ####'s.
This isn't true.
Talk to Bruce Feldman.

Does anyone think there is a chance the winner of the Clemson/FSU game jumps Oregon this week in the polls? I think it's a remote possibility, personally. What's more interesting about it is I think this game could serve Oregon best of anyone. This winner of this game could steal #1 votes from Bama and open up a shot for Oregon to move to #1.
I'd be shocked if the winner of that game isn't #2.

Agreed, especially if it's Clemson. Will they stay there? We'll see.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
MAC_32 said:
The Commish said:
GDogg said:

Chicken ####'s.
This isn't true.
Talk to Bruce Feldman.
Don't need to.

While we're at it, the VT series contract was signed when Logan Thomas was in 2nd grade.

So, 0 for 2.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
MAC_32 said:
The Commish said:
GDogg said:
Personally, I think you're discounting the name brand aspect too much. If someone else had the same season, I'd agree. With Ohio State on their jerseys, I don't think there is any chance they are passed for a 1 loss team at least in the human polls. Has there been a case yet where someone was 1 or 2 in polls, but computers were so bad they didn't go to NCG? I honestly don't know.
Yeah, I understand that point and certainly the Urban Meyer brand probably also counts for something as does two consecutive no loss seasons. I just think when we get to late November the airways are going to be clogged with people talking about how bad OSU's schedule is and that's going to sway voters.

I think this is especially true if we're talking about 12-1 Alabama, the 2-time defending champs from the 7-time defending champ conference.

Agreed, especially if it's Clemson. Will they stay there? We'll see.
If they beat FSU they should be undefeated going to South Carolina at the end of the season. The only possible game that could get them would be next week at Maryland coming off the high of beating FSU. Beat I don't think Maryland is any good. I know UVA and Ga Tech aren't any good.

Users who are viewing this thread