What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (2 Viewers)

Hang 10 said:
:lmao: screw you guys THEY AREN'T EVEN THAT LONG!!!
I will never be showing a pic of myself in here now. I wear shorts even longer than that sometimes.
The first step to recovery is admitting it. Don't be that guy in shorts below your knees wearing a race shirt from the race you're running. :ptts:

I once ran races in basketball shorts...then graduated to soccer shorts. Now I wear REAL running shorts and it's made all the difference. You're runners now, fellas. Time to start looking the part. :welcome:
Real runners wear these.

Good luck hang 10!

Heading out to Wilmington soon. If anyone wants to follow or check on me, bib #1322. http://beach2battleship.com
Kick ###, man!

----

On my end, like Grue, been hurt and not running much. Made my calf unhappy on Sunday, so decided this was the off season and let it rest. Easy to do since I had a trip to DC for work. City running sucks, so skipped even thinking about it. Did walk around Ford's Theater, which was incredible. Highly recommended.

Planning on a 7 mile trail run Saturday followed by a bike with all the folks here that are tapering for IMFL. Saturday morning will be 33F. Brrrr...

I was going to put this in the "License Plate I Saw on the Way to Work Today" thread but it's probably quicker to get an answer here. Annyong, are you in Raleigh this weekend? License plate spotted:

FAB5

True story.

Damn, take the over fellas. My goal is to just get under 40 by the skin of my teef.

Starting to regret not tapering this week. :doh:

ETA: A real over/under should be right around 40:30

Last edited by a moderator:
On my end, like Grue, been hurt and not running much. Made my calf unhappy on Sunday, so decided this was the off season and let it rest. Easy to do since I had a trip to DC for work. City running sucks, so skipped even thinking about it. Did walk around Ford's Theater, which was incredible. Highly recommended.

Planning on a 7 mile trail run Saturday followed by a bike with all the folks here that are tapering for IMFL. Saturday morning will be 33F. Brrrr...
I am in the same basic boat. I am on my longest running break, for sure, in the last 6 years and probably more like 10 years and took my longest break from exercise, 6 days, that I can see since tracking all workouts on a spreadsheet starting to late 2008. I haven't run since the trail race I did almost two weeks ago. The spill I took made it painful to walk, let alone run. I've done only swims the last two weeks and only three of them; doing 2,000, 2,500 & 2,000 yards respectively. The day I did the 2.500, I tried to throttle (for me) the first 1,500 as I had gone 6 days without a workout. Did it in 28:04 which was surprisingly good for me this time of year after slacking a bit. While still sore, I think I am going to hit the trail this weekend too. On another note, I have butterflies the size of vultures in anticipation of my son's cross country regional this afternoon. Doing some scouting of the other teams the coaches gave my son a target of 17:25 to hit if he runs out of his mind today to give them a chance for states. That's a PR by 25 seconds.

Damn, take the over fellas. My goal is to just get under 40 by the skin of my teef.

Starting to regret not tapering this week. :doh:

ETA: A real over/under should be right around 40:30
Snap out of it - you're over thinking this.

39:42

GET SOME!

I am in the same basic boat. I am on my longest running break, for sure, in the last 6 years and probably more like 10 years and took my longest break from exercise, 6 days, that I can see since tracking all workouts on a spreadsheet starting to late 2008. I haven't run since the trail race I did almost two weeks ago. The spill I took made it painful to walk, let alone run. I've done only swims the last two weeks and only three of them; doing 2,000, 2,500 & 2,000 yards respectively. The day I did the 2.500, I tried to throttle (for me) the first 1,500 as I had gone 6 days without a workout. Did it in 28:04 which was surprisingly good for me this time of year after slacking a bit. While still sore, I think I am going to hit the trail this weekend too. On another note, I have butterflies the size of vultures in anticipation of my son's cross country regional this afternoon. Doing some scouting of the other teams the coaches gave my son a target of 17:25 to hit if he runs out of his mind today to give them a chance for states. That's a PR by 25 seconds.
I hear you guys. Took 8 days off after the 50, ran/hiked on Monday for just over 3 miles and still felt it in my quads, then went out yesterday for 4 and felt fine, just a little more winded than normal.

I'm up in Oregon now, heading to a meeting in Portland in a bit, then down to Eugene for another football/debauchery weekend. Hope to sneak in a run on Pre's Trail at some point, and then get back to running consistently again next week.

On the ultra front, huge news out of the Western States 100 board yesterday as they totally overhauled their qualifying process for 2015. Basically there are no more 50 milers, just 100K (16 hours) or 100M (under that races cutoff) left, and they have cut down dramatically on the number of races that are qualifiers.

I totally agree with what they did in principal - it's likely to be 5-6% chance for someone like me or BnB to get in this year via the lottery because there is so much interest, and that's ridiculous. This change will make it tougher to qualify mostly because it will be hard for many to get into a qualifying race. Miwok 100K near me already has a lottery (that I was planning on entering), and that's going to be overwhelmed now with this change. So in effect they shifted the burden (and the #####ing) down to qualifying races, but those that do enter the lottery next year will likely have a much greater chance (I'm hearing they're hoping for 20% or so) of getting in.

BnB - clarifying, this is for the 2015 race, so we're good for this upcoming lottery and 2014.

I hear you guys. Took 8 days off after the 50, ran/hiked on Monday for just over 3 miles and still felt it in my quads, then went out yesterday for 4 and felt fine, just a little more winded than normal.

I'm up in Oregon now, heading to a meeting in Portland in a bit, then down to Eugene for another football/debauchery weekend. Hope to sneak in a run on Pre's Trail at some point, and then get back to running consistently again next week.
:hifive:

Slackers'R'Us.

I just went and did an easy 4 (8:30s) to test out the calf and it seems to be happier. 7 miler tomorrow is a go. :pickle: I really need to stay healthy for a while, as if I tackle what is in my head for '14 (and early '15) I'm gonna need all the training time I can get my hands on.

On the ultra front, huge news out of the Western States 100 board yesterday as they totally overhauled their qualifying process for 2015. Basically there are no more 50 milers, just 100K (16 hours) or 100M (under that races cutoff) left, and they have cut down dramatically on the number of races that are qualifiers.

I totally agree with what they did in principal - it's likely to be 5-6% chance for someone like me or BnB to get in this year via the lottery because there is so much interest, and that's ridiculous. This change will make it tougher to qualify mostly because it will be hard for many to get into a qualifying race. Miwok 100K near me already has a lottery (that I was planning on entering), and that's going to be overwhelmed now with this change. So in effect they shifted the burden (and the #####ing) down to qualifying races, but those that do enter the lottery next year will likely have a much greater chance (I'm hearing they're hoping for 20% or so) of getting in.

BnB - clarifying, this is for the 2015 race, so we're good for this upcoming lottery and 2014.
Pinhoti is on the list. :whistle:

Thinking along those lines, BnB, are you going to sign up for Beech Metric? They are down to 1/3 of the slots left and it will likely fill by Christmas, if not sooner.

No excuses type of weather on the east coast - go kick some ### hang10 and fubar!!
Thanks guys. For the bike though, freezing your ### off is an excuse. ;)

Dropped t2 bag off, I only packed 2 gels, shoes and socks. Some of these bags are packed full... what am I forgetting? I'm wearing my tri shorts and shirt throughout.

Well that's good news and bad news. Most of the 2015 qualifiers in this area have filled as they are in the Nov to Dec timeframe. I didn't get in Umstead and Massanutten will be a lottery. 2015 isn't likely for me. Good news that dispatched all the JFK marathoners.

Pinhoti is on the list. :whistle:

Thinking along those lines, BnB, are you going to sign up for Beech Metric? They are down to 1/3 of the slots left and it will likely fill by Christmas, if not sooner.
I was thinking riding bandit. I have a hard time paying for a metric when I'd only be stopping once anyway. Could either get someone to SAG us or hide some bottles on around Valle Crusis. That's going to be an epic ride.

No excuses type of weather on the east coast - go kick some ### hang10 and fubar!!

Dropped t2 bag off, I only packed 2 gels, shoes and socks. Some of these bags are packed full... what am I forgetting? I'm wearing my tri shorts and shirt throughout.
"In" before 2Young reels off a list. :D Running cap? Sunglasses (if different than for biking)? Body glide? Sunscreen? Fab5 shorts? Running bib?

Belt for your number. Has to be in front when you finish.

I might want a little something more to eat with chocolate or peanut butter to look forward too. Salt tabs?

Thanks guys. For the bike though, freezing your ### off is an excuse. ;) Dropped t2 bag off, I only packed 2 gels, shoes and socks. Some of these bags are packed full... what am I forgetting? I'm wearing my tri shorts and shirt throughout.

I might want a little something more to eat with chocolate or peanut butter to look forward too. Salt tabs?
I included 2 snickers marathon bars, but they have a good amount of food. I'm actually biking with my number and # belt. Might be a mistake, but don't think it will matter.

The transition areas in this event will take longer than in previous races. My goal has shifted with this and cold to 5:30

Thanks guys. For the bike though, freezing your ### off is an excuse. ;) Dropped t2 bag off, I only packed 2 gels, shoes and socks. Some of these bags are packed full... what am I forgetting? I'm wearing my tri shorts and shirt throughout.

I included 2 snickers marathon bars, but they have a good amount of food. I'm actually biking with my number and # belt. Might be a mistake, but don't think it will matter.

The transition areas in this event will take longer than in previous races. My goal has shifted with this and cold to 5:30
I used to spray adhesive mine to my tri top. I hope you don't mind hearing it flap for a couple of hours. Glad you packed a treat. Those are quite yummy.

Is it odd that Im actually looking forward to the cold run in the morning before soccer?

Last week's runs in Wisconsin were not as fun in the cold as I really did not prepare and just threw some shorts and a shirt into the suitcase.

My baldass head was cold (especially the day I got a little rain/sleety crap for about 5 minutes) and my hands were cold.

Being prepared with my own stuff has me more into it I think.

No states for my boy, but he had an incredible end to his XC season yesterday. He ran a 17:27; good for 3rd on his team and 35th out of 119 runners. Unfortunately, the normally soft region was not this year. His team's top 5 all ran under 18, but it was only good enough for 7th out of 17 teams. The future is very bright for his team. Their top 3 are all under classmen, going Soph at 16:26, Jr at 16:40 (15th finisher and last state qualifier) and my Soph at 17:27. Their #6 is also a Soph who went 18:03 and ran a 17:48 earlier in the season.

Great job hang 10!

Write up will come later, but b2b is an awesome event.

Twenty minutes in transitions due to cold, most of that in t1. 5:38 total, sub 3 on bike with negative splits, 1:50 run, cramped 6 or more times in the water.

Awesome Hang-10, looking forward to the details.

Haven't posted in here in awhile as my running has been all over the place but still lurk frequently. Had a really strong run for me today - 11 mi @ 8:15. Felt great. Thought it would be a struggle after my sons 6AM hockey practice this morning and being out late on Friday but it didn't seem to faze me.

Twenty minutes in transitions due to cold, most of that in t1. 5:38 total, sub 3 on bike with negative splits, 1:50 run, cramped 6 or more times in the water.
Fantastic! :headbang: :pickle: :clap: Those are some very good times!

Great job hang 10!

:thumbup: :headbang: :clap:

Great job hang 10!

Great day in those cold (or any for that matter) conditions. Congratulations!

Wicked 10K

Beautiful morning for racing...no wind...cold though. Definitely PR weather but for whatever reason doubt was creeping into my mind the past couple days about sub-40. It was as if mentally I knew I was capable but actually physically doing it was going to be hell. I was looking for any reason why I was going to fail. Whatever ache or pain I've had the past week was going to wreck my race or some such thing.

Anyways, it was family event...my wife was running and my daughter was running the 1 mile kids run. Always fun getting ready for a race with girls. Unbelievably we make it to the race with enough time for a warmup...legs feel good. The lack of a taper didn't seem to be a problem. Settle into corral 1 and talk to this chick from the gym whose actually pretty damn fast herself...she mentions she's gunning for sub-40 as well and we say we'll hang together. Gun goes off and I take off and leave her behind never to be seen again...I'm a swell guy.

Mile 1 - 6:07

I knew I'd take off fast because...well...that's what I do. Hoping to settle in after at around a 6:20 and hold it to the finish.

Mile 2 - 6:27

WTF??? Too slow! This was gut check time. How bad do you want this? I realize I'm not going to get there with that effort level. I decide to MTFU and push it.

Mile 3 - 6:14

That's more like it and realize I'm not redlining. Hit 5K at 19:42.

Mile 4 - 6:16

Still strong...at this point, I realize I've got this.

Mile 5 - 6:18

Mile 6 - 6:18

Last .2 I run a few people down and finish strong... - 1:43 (course red long as always 6.29 miles)

Hit the finish line at 39:25 well under my goal. I'm so stoked...6:21 a mile (6:16 on my watch). Get home and find out I actually placed in my age group... 3rd out of 337 in men 35-39. Can't believe it. 22nd overall out of 5936.

I did it. :yes:

Thanks everyone for your support...definitely helped that you guys were more confident than me!

Last edited by a moderator:
#######it, that's how you do it, Hang10! Great job. After the initial settling in in Miles 1 and 2 you were really consistent on pace. Heck of a milestone - congrats joining the sub 40 club.

What do I win for the closest guess? Congratulations!!
You get to race your kid for domination of the 2Y household!

Congrats, Hang 10!

---

On my end, a very nice training day. Nice 7 mile run with 4.5 on the trail and 2.5 on the road. The folks I was following did that length and I didn't want to get lost. Followed that up with a 29 mile ride. Temperatures were 31 at run start (youch!) and 39 at ride start. Coldest morning of the year, I think.

Good, solid 3 hours of work today. Followed that up with walking around for 2.5 hours at the zoo with the kids (way too nice to stay inside).

Wicked 10K

Hit the finish line at 39:25 well under my goal. I'm so stoked...6:21 a mile (6:16 on my watch). Get home and find out I actually placed in my age group... 3rd out of 337 in men 35-39. Can't believe it. 22nd overall out of 5936.

I did it. :yes:
Yes you did!!! 22nd out of thousands and top 1% in your large, competitive AG (and AG award) is uber-impressive. Congrats!!!

Now come down off your cloud and tell us how your ladies did!

Users who are viewing this thread