What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (2 Viewers)

FUBAR said:
Great job hang 10!

Write up will come later, but b2b is an awesome event.

Twenty minutes in transitions due to cold, most of that in t1. 5:38 total, sub 3 on bike with negative splits, 1:50 run, cramped 6 or more times in the water.
Can't wait to read about it. Still looking for your nads?

Congrats Hang10. You'll need to start hanging around for the awards because they often give on gift certs at events.

Wow, Hang 10! Exceptional race. Congrats and enjoy.

Fubar, Great stuff. Can't wait to read the report.

2Young, Good Job by the youngster!

Beach2Battleship 70.3

I'll start by saying (although most of you know this already), seeing 60 year old men and women doing the half and full is absolutely inspirational. We had a few athletes who chose this as their first triathlon, including two who chose to do the full as their first ever tri. That seems insane to me, but hopefully it worked out for them.

Pre-race, I didn't try to sign up for the bus until this week and it was sold out. So I had to figure out how to get to the start, or from the end to the start. This was my first point to point tri, so I didn't even think about it until this week. My comment for the director will be to get more buses. Luck was on my side though as I met up with a nice couple from Raleigh who were nice enough to drive me to the start, then we hung out for a bit yesterday. Of course, that's one of the cool things about this sport, really good people who are not overly competitive with which other. Definitely a sense of community. long story short, ended up making it to the start point and all was well. If I do this again (and I think I will), I'm signing up for the shuttle early.

Point to point is different than I'm used to, but I kind of like it. You just have to be organized with your bags. The organizers did a great job with T2 especially, grabbing your bike, and as you make your way around the convention center room, volunteers hand you your bag, you go into a changing table with a bathroom right next to it and change. T1 is just like any other swim-bike transition except you have to be sure to put everything in your bag and tie it before leaving.

Morning - COLD many of us stood around heaters for half an hour or wore coats, wrapped ourselves up in whatever blankets and towels we had. I think it was in the 30s before we got in the water. You start at T1 and take a trolley to the start point. 140.6 swimmers started at 730, with 70.3 waves beginning at 830. As we're getting ready / "warmed up" :lol: we see the lead 140.6 dude WAY in front of the pack, dude was sailing. his time was faster than mine (and most of ours). As we're waiting, you see a wide difference in abilities, including a few people who appear to be treading water... that had to be miserable for them. Some of us were waiting in the water as it was 71 in the water the day before, probably 60s at the time. Warmer than the air.

Swim: I'm in wave 5, and as we get out in the water we realize we're being pushed by the slight current past the start point. Seems great to be swimming with the current. Eventually, we're off, and things are going pretty well. The usual issues with mass starts - bumping, splashing in the face, etc. Salt water adds a little to that, but not bad. Thankfully there's a pack of 5 swimmers next to me on each side and we seem to be fairly equal, so I just keep checking on the silver caps to make sure I'm not veering off course. Eventually we spread out a bit, so I have to check on the buoys every so often, no big deal really. But then, for whatever reason, I assume it's not warming up well and the cold, I get a charlie horse in my right leg. I try to swim through it, roll on my back for a second and it fades. a minute or two later it happens again and I just keep kicking. This happened at least 5 times, I keep going but it certainly slowed me down. I get a little worried about the bike, if my legs are locking up already that doesn't bode well. But, we finish the swim, get out and they have strippers on deck. 35 minutes in the water, pretty sure I can knock a few minutes off next time, more if I do the smart thing and either hire a coach or join the master's team.

T1: Few people actually use the strippers because it's cold and we have a 400 yard run to our bikes. I hobble and get to my bike, struggle to take the wetsuit off, but eventually it's all-systems-go. I decide to put on my 8-skin LS shirt under my Led Zeppelin bike jersey and sweatpants (basically windbreaker type material) over my wet tri shorts. This took about 13 minutes, way longer than it should but as I told myself - my goal here no longer involves the T times.

Bike: left T1, and almost fell over on my bike getting on it. Numb legs do not make for good biking. SLOW go at first. First mile took over 4 minutes. Partly due to numbness, partly just the course. First 5 miles averaged 3:27. Like I said, it was slow at first. Got going a little better but the first 20 miles took 1:05, so a 3:15 pace. Felt a lot better as we got going, and basically stayed with 2 young females for most of miles 11-40 (inspiration!) Miles 21-40 was at a 3:01 pace. Miles 41-56 were at a 2:41 pace. I haven't used Heed in a while, but used it on the course along with perpetuem, I'm a believer in both. Took a couple gels and one marathon snickers bar throughout the ride. Truly believe I can knock 15 minutes off this ride if I'm not frozen at the start. Still, I'm satisfied with 2:53 for this leg.

T2: Good setup. Pass off your bike to one volunteer, a group of volunteers is ready to grab your bag, hand it to you and you're on your way. I could have been a lot faster here, but I decided to pee in transition instead of on the run course. 7 minutes total, 3 of which was probably in the bathroom.

Run: almost the opposite of the bike. First mile was 7:26, then a 7:45, 8:15 mile 3 and basically added 5-10 seconds per mile until settling in at a 9:00-9:10 pace for mile 8-12. Felt pretty decent except my legs were heavy and I couldn't force them to go faster. Need to work on endurance and running on dead legs. They had heed, coke, fruit, gels, every mile or so, and I would grab something, walk for 50 feet or so, and then ramble on. Had quite a few runners compliment my jersey. 1:50 total.

Overall, I'm pleased especially as this was my first tri in over 3 years. My expectations may have been a little bit unreasonable in hoping for a sub 5, but with more training, experience, and just a little warmer weather for the start, I should be able to knock off at least 20 minutes on the events and 10 in transitions. Sub 5 is still a stretch, but in time, who knows?

Eta, in case it isn't obvious, don't pass on the post race massage. that was awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
When do ultra events become overkill? Saw a few "281.2" shirts. :eek: that just seems overly insane. I get that many normal people consider ultra or iron man events crazy, but doubling an IM? Part of me is impressed, another part wonders how much time had to go into that.

Hang10 - Friggin' smokin' fast! :thumbup: How'd the girls do??

FUBAR - Awesome stuff! You tri guys blow my mind. :loco:

Sean - Welcome back. That's a really fast 12 miler!

Sand - Nice brick... That hill's a killer start to the run.

2Y2BB - Congrats to you and the boy for an awesome XC season. That team sounds so stacked. Here in DE any one of those top 5 would be the #1 runner on most teams. Crazy.

and the time to taper starts..... now! I'm looking forward to some extra sleep. I'm sure in about 10 days I'll be hating it, but I'm tired and could use the rest. Had another solid week to finish things off.

Tue - 9mi w/ 7x800 intervals. Already posted the details. 800m intervals averaged 3:04. Really geeked over this run.

Wed - 13mi MLR. Legs were torched and I just didn't feel like running. Tucked tail at 10.5 and called it a night. 8:57/143

Thu - USRD. Work and kids just too crazy. Only a recovery run and I could use the break anyway.

Fri - 12mi MLR - What a fantastic run. Felt like I could go forever. 8:46/141

Sat - 5mi Recovery. Lowest HR avg I've ever had on a run. So smooth. 9:38/128

Sun - 18mi w/ 14MP. Legs were a tad sore/heavy. Why? I don't know. Still managed the best MP run I've ever had, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't expecting better. Considering how my legs felt, my pacing was very even throughout. MP avg 7:49/163.

Congrats on a successful return to Tris, FUBAR!

Nice running, Ned! Having one of your best training runs EVER the last week before taper should give you a lot of confidence. You're gonna do great!

Great job, FUBAR! Awesome accomplishment!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you do the day after running the race of your life? How about a 11 mile trail run! Can't believe how great my legs felt. (8:20 pace) Another 35 mile week for this guy. :thumbup:

Nice races Hang10 and FUBAR!

Solid training runs Sean and Sand.

2Y2BB - Sounds like your son really made a lot of great strides this season. Can't wait to see how he does this track season.

I just found out my college teammate, who was consistently the #8/9 man on our team but was the only guy other than our #2 man that could consistently hang with me on our training runs, just finished 3rd in the USA 24-hr championships with 133 miles. To think we used to joke that he could run all day.

Great report, FUBAR! Congrats again ...great achievement. Conditions probably did cost you 20 minutes or so (transitions; start of the bike; swim cramps).

--

So I'm reading the Sunday morning paper at around 7:30 this morning. My wife comes down the stairs and, as is common, immediately starts talking about tasks/chores for the day. Her first words today were "I'm going to Costco after church. You coming along?" Thinking about my busy day ahead, I start to explain, "I'll go with you if we can make it quick. I gotta get a run in .." At that point, she turns away in a huff. She comes into the living room a few minutes later with her morning coffee, sits down, and starts b###ing at me: "I know you've got a lot of schoolwork to do, but when you say you've 'gotta get a run in,' it's like saying 'I gotta have a drink.'" My first thought was: Well ...yeah ...you're catching on. Wisely, I kept that as a thought only and went back to the paper.

When I did go for the run, the track was calling me as I passed by on a cool, sunny day, so I did some a couple warmup miles then 8 x 400m at 86-89 seconds.

Thanks for all the tips (a few pages back). Got in 7 miles this morning in 1:03, holding 9 minute pace throughout. Max run was 10 miles in my training, but mentally I feel like in those 2 10 mile runs I did I could have kept going without too much effort. Was paying close attention to my foot today to try and make sure there were no pain flare-ups and it felt good, no after run pain to report either.

I expect race temp to be in upper 40's at the start, maybe low 50's at most. I've been doing my longer runs in shorts and a thin long sleeve compression shirt, but usually by mile 8-9 i'm sweating pretty good because of the long sleeves. In these longer runs, I like the long sleeves in the first 4-5 miles as I'm usually feeling cold at the onset. At this temp range is it basically up to individual runner preference? First time I will ever be racing (running a half marathon) so I don't even know what % of people will be in shorts vs. sweats, long sleeve vs. short sleeve, etc....not worried about what others are wearing, more just curious how people attack it.

Thanks for all the tips (a few pages back). Got in 7 miles this morning in 1:03, holding 9 minute pace throughout. Max run was 10 miles in my training, but mentally I feel like in those 2 10 mile runs I did I could have kept going without too much effort. Was paying close attention to my foot today to try and make sure there were no pain flare-ups and it felt good, no after run pain to report either.

I expect race temp to be in upper 40's at the start, maybe low 50's at most. I've been doing my longer runs in shorts and a thin long sleeve compression shirt, but usually by mile 8-9 i'm sweating pretty good because of the long sleeves. In these longer runs, I like the long sleeves in the first 4-5 miles as I'm usually feeling cold at the onset. At this temp range is it basically up to individual runner preference? First time I will ever be racing (running a half marathon) so I don't even know what % of people will be in shorts vs. sweats, long sleeve vs. short sleeve, etc....not worried about what others are wearing, more just curious how people attack it.
The general rule is that you should dress like it's going to be 20 degrees warmer when you run. High 40's / low 50's I'm wearing t-shirt & shorts (only wear pants for the coldest of cold training runs) unless there's some wicked wind chill. There's always a difficult balance of dressing for you race and dressing for standing around waiting to run.

Another option is to bring a long sleeve shirt that you don't mind throwing away and just dump on the side of the road when you get hot.

Great report, FUBAR! Congrats again ...great achievement. Conditions probably did cost you 20 minutes or so (transitions; start of the bike; swim cramps).

--

So I'm reading the Sunday morning paper at around 7:30 this morning. My wife comes down the stairs and, as is common, immediately starts talking about tasks/chores for the day. Her first words today were "I'm going to Costco after church. You coming along?" Thinking about my busy day ahead, I start to explain, "I'll go with you if we can make it quick. I gotta get a run in .." At that point, she turns away in a huff. She comes into the living room a few minutes later with her morning coffee, sits down, and starts b###ing at me: "I know you've got a lot of schoolwork to do, but when you say you've 'gotta get a run in,' it's like saying 'I gotta have a drink.'" My first thought was: Well ...yeah ...you're catching on. Wisely, I kept that as a thought only and went back to the paper.

When I did go for the run, the track was calling me as I passed by on a cool, sunny day, so I did some a couple warmup miles then 8 x 400m at 86-89 seconds.
thanks tri.

You just hit on why I get out for my weekend runs before anyone else gets up. As the morning gets darker though, I'll have to bike later in the day. thankfully for perhaps the first time ever, my wife is proactively completely supportive of my training regimen.

The general rule is that you should dress like it's going to be 20 degrees warmer when you run. High 40's / low 50's I'm wearing t-shirt & shorts (only wear pants for the coldest of cold training runs) unless there's some wicked wind chill. There's always a difficult balance of dressing for you race and dressing for standing around waiting to run.

Another option is to bring a long sleeve shirt that you don't mind throwing away and just dump on the side of the road when you get hot.
...or wear shorts and shortsleeves, but wear some cheap garden gloves for the first few miles and discard when you warm up. Glad the foot held up OK. Good luck!!!

Hang10 - Friggin' smokin' fast! :thumbup: How'd the girls do??
Since you guys asked, wife just getting back in shape from having a baby 4 months ago ran the 10K in 1:07:38 and my 6 year old daughter ran her mile kids race in 11:17. They are both slow as dirt. :thumbdown:

I really need to get them to the track to work on some 400's. :grad:

Sorry, dude. That sucks. :(

Sorry, dude. That sucks. :(
Yeah, my first thought as well. Sorry dude.

Second thought... Gruecd you ran a race this weekend too, and a pretty damn long one at that. Race report?

Happy to report that Fall 50 was a big success. My 3-man team finished 4th overall (behind three 5-person teams) out of 321 teams and placed 3rd in the Men's Open division. Overall time was 5:35:32 (6:43/mile). Personally, I ran really well, and thankfully I had no problems with the hip flexors, so hopefully this will be the start of a much-needed "up" cycle for me.

It was definitely a fun challenge only having three guys, since we ran significantly more miles than the other teams' runners, plus we had a lot less recovery time between legs. Details of my three runs:

#1 (Leg 3) - 7.13 hilly miles at 6:45/mile. Ran the first four miles at 6:40 average then slowed down a bit (low 7s) on the next portion as I grinded my way uphill. Finished off the leg with about 1-1/2 miles of downhill at about 6:15 pace. Felt good.

#2 (Legs 6-7) - Combined these two legs into one longer one. 7.85 miles at 6:50/mile. Sanded the start, running 6:25 for the first mile and 6:38 for the second. Felt OK on mile #3 (6:48), and then I started to get really tired. Thankfully it was a super flat leg, because I was running on fumes. Averaged right around 6:50-7 the rest of the way.

#3 (Leg 10) - 4.66 miles at 6:50/mile. Sanded it again (6:36), then locked in at 6:52-6:57 the rest of the way. The runner for the 3rd-place team took the handoff a couple of minutes ahead of me, and I tried my best to catch her (yes, her), but I ran out of race. If I just could've gotten her in my sights, I'm sure I could've found the energy to go get her. She actually told me afterwards that her motivation on that leg was to not let me catch her and that "[my] stride looks so easy and smooth" that she didn't want to have to stare at it again. So that was a nice compliment.

Hung out afterwards at one of the best post-race parties around, and then spent the evening hitting the bars in Sturgeon Bay. Ladies definitely like a tall dude with a couple of big medals hanging around his neck. Never mind what they tell you...size DOES matter. ;)

Best team name that I saw? Must Eat Between Legs

Most fun team? Dirty Girl Scouts Troop #69

I'll definitely be back next year. Might try to put together a 5-man team to go for the win...

Second thought... Gruecd you ran a race this weekend too, and a pretty damn long one at that. Race report?
Ha! I was just typing it. And thank goodness for the board's "auto save" feature, because I accidentally closed the window when I was about 2/3 done!!

Great job, FUBAR! You Tri guys rock

2Young, congrats to you and the boy. That's a great season and things sound even more promising for the future. Is he going to go to watch states? I'd recommend it for him and the rest of the top 7-10 guys or so both to cheer on the two who made it individually and to see the environment. And motivation for next year...

OK, finally getting caught up...

Hang 10 and FUBAR - Great races, guys!! :thumbup:

Ned - That's one hell of a training week. I'm honestly not sure if I could do 7 x 800M at 3:04 right now. Congrats.

Happy to report that Fall 50 was a big success. My 3-man team finished 4th overall (behind three 5-person teams) out of 321 teams and placed 3rd in the Men's Open division. Overall time was 5:35:32 (6:43/mile). Personally, I ran really well, and thankfully I had no problems with the hip flexors, so hopefully this will be the start of a much-needed "up" cycle for me.

It was definitely a fun challenge only having three guys, since we ran significantly more miles than the other teams' runners, plus we had a lot less recovery time between legs. Details of my three runs:

#1 (Leg 3) - 7.13 hilly miles at 6:45/mile. Ran the first four miles at 6:40 average then slowed down a bit (low 7s) on the next portion as I grinded my way uphill. Finished off the leg with about 1-1/2 miles of downhill at about 6:15 pace. Felt good.

#2 (Legs 6-7) - Combined these two legs into one longer one. 7.85 miles at 6:50/mile. Sanded the start, running 6:25 for the first mile and 6:38 for the second. Felt OK on mile #3 (6:48), and then I started to get really tired. Thankfully it was a super flat leg, because I was running on fumes. Averaged right around 6:50-7 the rest of the way.

#3 (Leg 10) - 4.66 miles at 6:50/mile. Sanded it again (6:36), then locked in at 6:52-6:57 the rest of the way. The runner for the 3rd-place team took the handoff a couple of minutes ahead of me, and I tried my best to catch her (yes, her), but I ran out of race. If I just could've gotten her in my sights, I'm sure I could've found the energy to go get her. She actually told me afterwards that her motivation on that leg was to not let me catch her and that "[my] stride looks so easy and smooth" that she didn't want to have to stare at it again. So that was a nice compliment.

Hung out afterwards at one of the best post-race parties around, and then spent the evening hitting the bars in Sturgeon Bay. Ladies definitely like a tall dude with a couple of big medals hanging around his neck. Never mind what they tell you...size DOES matter. ;)

Best team name that I saw? Must Eat Between Legs

Most fun team? Dirty Girl Scouts Troop #69

I'll definitely be back next year. Might try to put together a 5-man team to go for the win...
Holy cow, nice race by you and your team! So you ran almost 20 of the miles. Are you like the workhorse innings eater of the group? The other guys got off easy.

Must Eat Between Legs :lol:

Nice racing, Grue! I'm not sure how I'd handle mutliple legs like that.
Thanks. To be honest, it's a lot easier when you know you've got teammates counting on (waiting for) you. If I hadn't run the race, I doubt I could've gone out on my own this afternoon and ran 7+ miles at 6:45 pace. Which basically tells me something that I already knew....that my mental game is the part that I really need to work on.

Holy cow, nice race by you and your team! So you ran almost 20 of the miles. Are you like the workhorse innings eater of the group? The other guys got off easy.

Must Eat Between Legs :lol:
Haha. More or less. One guy just ran Chicago, so we gave him the shortest leg combo (15 miles), and I didn't want to run the "mountain" in leg #8, so I gave that set to the other guy.

That's awesome consistency, grue! :thumbup: How long did you have to recover between legs?
Thanks. I had about 62 minutes between my first two legs and 64 minutes between the second and the last.
Damn, that's awesome stuff. I know how it feels to run that quickly back to back. The fact that you kept such an even pace for all of them is amazing. I fall apart every year at the trail triple.

It's funny looking at the post-race results list and how my perception might be different than reality, at least for this race.

I placed 172 out of 624 listed (so, top 30%). But the participants list had the total at 1329. Maybe 700 people just didn't show up? Seems weird that it would be that many, but there were many empty bike spots. My coral of 6 only had 3 bikes in it.

Swim - which I thought would be my worst event, especially with the cramps; I placed 153.

Bike - my split isn't listed, but according to my watch, I would have been ~197. Had thought this to be my best event, but the first 20 miles were slow for me.

Run - has me at 137. So rather easily my best event. Not too surprised by this.

So, in a way it's what I thought it was - places of 172 total, 153/197/137; I'm pretty consistent. Nothing great but no glaringly bad performance area. Maybe I'm just wrong about my bike being my strength, or maybe I just was more affected by the weather than others. Or maybe I just took it too easy at first, lacking the confidence experience would bring? If I had started closer to my final pace, I would have ranked somewhere between 100-140. Too bad we can't see how others paced throughout.

Anyway... it's just interesting to look at.

Last post for a while today;

How long would you all suggest resting between ironman events? I'm signed up for the Louisville IM in August next year and considering signing up for next year's Full Beach2Battleship (it was that good an event). This is ~ 8 weeks after Louisville. I think it's doable, but will I regret it?

2Young, congrats to you and the boy. That's a great season and things sound even more promising for the future. Is he going to go to watch states? I'd recommend it for him and the rest of the top 7-10 guys or so both to cheer on the two who made it individually and to see the environment. And motivation for next year...
We are heading to states on Saturday. It takes place at Michigan International Speedway, with the finish in the grass down the front stretch. The girls qualified as team finishing second in the region to the team that will likely take states. My daughter ran as a freshman and has been a manager for the last three years so I am excited to see them compete as well. It should be an amazing day.

Just ran my 2nd 1/2 marathon 2 weeks ago. The first one I ran was last spring. Actually, that was the first race I had ever run. Got talked into it by my neighbor last October, so I had plenty of time to train. That and my doctor laughed at me last year when she tried to put me on cholestoral meds. I told her I'd like to try and control it naturally by diet and exercise.

Fast forward a year. My first 1/2 in the spring I had no idea what to expect. And I'll preface this by saying my goal was to finish. I had really no idea on what to do, what to wear, nothing. Found the Hal Higdon plan and followed it pretty religiously. Ended up finishing in 2:03. Also lost 20 pounds in the process, quit eating fast food, cut back on my soda and beer consumption by at least 75%.

Decided I wanted to run faster on this next race, the one I did last weekend. Followed the Hal Higdon plan, but more of the intermediate plan. So I added tempo runs and interval training to my schedule. My goal for this race was 1:50. Not even sure why I picked that number: probably because my neighbor's sister ran one that quick, so I figured what the heck.

Ended up at 1:52, and was really pleased. A pretty hilly course here in KC, but I probably could have gone faster. I lined up in the 1:55 group, because I just wasn't sure I could hit 1:50. In retrospect, I should have lined up a 1:50 because I probably could have stayed with that pace group. I definitely feel I had some left in the tank.

Now, of course, the bug has hit. How fast can I really go? I'm 44, and the truth is I don't really enjoy running. I really enjoy the benefits: better health, I can see my abs again, etc. So I'm not even sure HOW to go faster.

Anyway, congrats to everyone in here. I admire anyone who just gets off the couch and does something.

Ha! I was just typing it. And thank goodness for the board's "auto save" feature, because I accidentally closed the window when I was about 2/3 done!!
Damn that sounds like quite the race. Especially considering you ran each leg right at or under MP. I've heard that the length of rest you get during those things is actually a lot harder to handle than something like a 10-15 min break since you have to try to stay loose. (which is not easy while you are presumably in a car/van following your teammates).

Just ran my 2nd 1/2 marathon 2 weeks ago. The first one I ran was last spring. Actually, that was the first race I had ever run. Got talked into it by my neighbor last October, so I had plenty of time to train. That and my doctor laughed at me last year when she tried to put me on cholestoral meds. I told her I'd like to try and control it naturally by diet and exercise.

Fast forward a year. My first 1/2 in the spring I had no idea what to expect. And I'll preface this by saying my goal was to finish. I had really no idea on what to do, what to wear, nothing. Found the Hal Higdon plan and followed it pretty religiously. Ended up finishing in 2:03. Also lost 20 pounds in the process, quit eating fast food, cut back on my soda and beer consumption by at least 75%.

Decided I wanted to run faster on this next race, the one I did last weekend. Followed the Hal Higdon plan, but more of the intermediate plan. So I added tempo runs and interval training to my schedule. My goal for this race was 1:50. Not even sure why I picked that number: probably because my neighbor's sister ran one that quick, so I figured what the heck.

Ended up at 1:52, and was really pleased. A pretty hilly course here in KC, but I probably could have gone faster. I lined up in the 1:55 group, because I just wasn't sure I could hit 1:50. In retrospect, I should have lined up a 1:50 because I probably could have stayed with that pace group. I definitely feel I had some left in the tank.

Now, of course, the bug has hit. How fast can I really go? I'm 44, and the truth is I don't really enjoy running. I really enjoy the benefits: better health, I can see my abs again, etc. So I'm not even sure HOW to go faster.

Anyway, congrats to everyone in here. I admire anyone who just gets off the couch and does something.
I think the last part describes how I feel about your venture over the last few months as well.To come all the way from the shape you were in to being able to run at the level you are running right now says a lot about the effort you have put into this. Hope you stick around and I'm sure with some consistent training you'll surprise yourself with the progress you make.

I'm 44, and the truth is I don't really enjoy running.
Congrats!

I assume most of us don't like running while we're actually running. (Although a lot of times I don't mind it.) I always look forward to being done with a run and often dread starting. As you mention, what's usually liked are the health benefits you receive and the sense of accomplishment when you reach various goals. That's enough to keep a lot of us going.

I'm 44, and the truth is I don't really enjoy running.
Congrats!

I assume most of us don't like running while we're actually running. (Although a lot of times I don't mind it.) I always look forward to being done with a run and often dread starting. As you mention, what's usually liked are the health benefits you receive and the sense of accomplishment when you reach various goals. That's enough to keep a lot of us going.
And there is nothing that says you have to just run. I, for one, tend to like biking much more than running. Actually, that is why I do triathlons - I get sick of one sport and hop over to something else for a while.

Last post for a while today;

How long would you all suggest resting between ironman events? I'm signed up for the Louisville IM in August next year and considering signing up for next year's Full Beach2Battleship (it was that good an event). This is ~ 8 weeks after Louisville. I think it's doable, but will I regret it?
I doubt you'll regret it, but you'll need to be extra vilgilent to hydrate and eat at IML. Take one day off for each hour you race. This will leave you a nice 4 week training block before your next taper. IML will be a great event to properly set your goals for B2B.

It's funny looking at the post-race results list and how my perception might be different than reality, at least for this race.

I placed 172 out of 624 listed (so, top 30%). But the participants list had the total at 1329. Maybe 700 people just didn't show up? Seems weird that it would be that many, but there were many empty bike spots. My coral of 6 only had 3 bikes in it.

Swim - which I thought would be my worst event, especially with the cramps; I placed 153.

Bike - my split isn't listed, but according to my watch, I would have been ~197. Had thought this to be my best event, but the first 20 miles were slow for me.

So, in a way it's what I thought it was - places of 172 total, 153/197/137; I'm pretty consistent. Nothing great but no glaringly bad performance area. Maybe I'm just wrong about my bike being my strength, or maybe I just was more affected by the weather than others. Or maybe I just took it too easy at first, lacking the confidence experience would bring? If I had started closer to my final pace, I would have ranked somewhere between 100-140. Too bad we can't see how others paced throughout.

Not to be too hard on you, but given your fitness, you should be north of 20mph on the bike for the 1/2 distance on that course. That said, if you err in the other direction, you'll lose everything back and then some on the run. You can tell by how much closer you total finish is to your bike finish where the work needs to go. Didn't you say you were wearing sweat pants on the bike?

Regardless, that's an impressive placement, especially when the hardcore guys probably raced and the newbies sat out due to the cold.

No states for my boy, but he had an incredible end to his XC season yesterday. He ran a 17:27; good for 3rd on his team and 35th out of 119 runners. Unfortunately, the normally soft region was not this year. His team's top 5 all ran under 18, but it was only good enough for 7th out of 17 teams. The future is very bright for his team. Their top 3 are all under classmen, going Soph at 16:26, Jr at 16:40 (15th finisher and last state qualifier) and my Soph at 17:27. Their #6 is also a Soph who went 18:03 and ran a 17:48 earlier in the season.
Great, great season. He really broke out this year - exciting to think about where he'll be next fall, a year stronger and picking up (more or less) where he left off this year.

My boy's team swept its own 5-team invitational Friday - took 7 of the Top 10 in JV, 6 of the Top 10 in Varsity. He was 3rd overall in the JV race, 2nd on his team, beat his home course PR (set earlier last week) by 6 seconds. The #1 guy on the JV has slowly inched past the #7 guy on Varsity, but with just one dual meet and the Conference Championship left, the coach is leaving everyone where they are. He said that this late in the season, the only way he'd seriously consider switching is if a guy from JV was running fast enough to be a consistent Top 5, point-scoring guy on Varsity. The coach runs the whole program like one big team, and he doesn't want the #7 guy on Varsity to feel like he's looking over his shoulder and fighting off a teammate with every single race, just like he doesn't want a guy who's having a breakthrough JV season and having a great experience running at the front of the pack suddenly find himself eating dust in Varsity races. Just one more reason why the guy is a great coach, and why we have like 30 guys stacking the starting line for JV races while most teams have no more than 8 or 9.

Dual meet tomorrow vs. the conference cellar-dweller and then the Championship next Wednesday. My boy's away course PR is 19:00 so he's pretty keyed up to go sub-19 tomorrow. He ran 8.5 LSD (though he finished pretty fast) on Saturday and then a 4-mile tempo run yesterday.

The Conference meet is going to be awesome. Our team had always been a doormat until the present coach got things rolling 4 or 5 years ago - we won the B Conference the last two years, and got bumped up to our league's A Conference this year. The varsity is in second place after the regular season, having lost only to the undefeated team that's won the last 4 A Conference titles (that's Loyola for former Maryland local SteveC). I think it's going to be really, really close, a race where every position for all 5 point-scorers matters. I also don't think the other team realizes how good we are right now, having beaten us by 8 or 9 points back in mid-September, so it would be extra cool to shock them. JV team is tied for first with 1 dual meet loss, and I think is probably a slight favorite to win the title.

On a related note, my son plans to take the day after the Championship off, then row a 6k piece on the ergometer the next day to set a baseline before beginning his off-season crew conditioning the following Monday. Meanwhile, I ran 6 miles Saturday - the third time I've run in October, according to my Garmin.

I think the last part describes how I feel about your venture over the last few months as well.To come all the way from the shape you were in to being able to run at the level you are running right now says a lot about the effort you have put into this. Hope you stick around and I'm sure with some consistent training you'll surprise yourself with the progress you make.
Thanks. Glad this thread is in here: some good motivational stuff in here.

FUBAR - 8 weeks apart carries some risk. Have you considered another Half-IM a couple of months before doing the BtoB full IM? Finishing a full IM must be such a grind. To finish is a hugh achievement. Why the desire to do two in that short span? Not like I'm the one to question doubling up on endurance events! Nevertheless, do you have a clear goal, other than the sheer madness of it all (which I understand)?

Chief - congrats on the HMs and the health/weight improvements! Like Sand suggests, you could mix in more cross-training ...add some strength work; buy a decent bike, etc. Do you keep a training log? If you stick with running, maybe just mix up the routines ...drive to new locales nearby, or add in some trail running/racing. I believe the second year through tends to show continued improvement as you now know more about what works (or doesn't) with the training, how to eat before and hydrate during training and races, how to pace yourself, etc.

FUBAR - 8 weeks apart carries some risk. Have you considered another Half-IM a couple of months before doing the BtoB full IM? Finishing a full IM must be such a grind. To finish is a hugh achievement. Why the desire to do two in that short span? Not like I'm the one to question doubling up on endurance events! Nevertheless, do you have a clear goal, other than the sheer madness of it all (which I understand)?
Already signed up and paid for Louisville. Not turning back now.

the motivation to do B2B also is two fold. First, it was just an enjoyable event, although perhaps doing the half again with a chance to go sub 5 would be a good way to go? Not sure right now. Second, I figure I'm unlikely to train back up for a full after this year. The training is the hardest part for me. time is key. So why not hit a couple while trained for it?

Not to be too hard on you, but given your fitness, you should be north of 20mph on the bike for the 1/2 distance on that course. That said, if you err in the other direction, you'll lose everything back and then some on the run. You can tell by how much closer you total finish is to your bike finish where the work needs to go. Didn't you say you were wearing sweat pants on the bike?

Regardless, that's an impressive placement, especially when the hardcore guys probably raced and the newbies sat out due to the cold.
I think you're right. I wasn't as confident coming out of the swim as I probably should have been. I told myself I'd just get going for the first 10 miles, which is what I did. I should have pushed harder earlier.

I wore windpants on the bike, given the temperature and that my tri-suit was wet, figured I'd be better off. Not sure if that was the right call, but I wasn't overly hot on the ride.

Not sure what you mean by "You can tell by how much closer you total finish is to your bike finish where the work needs to go." aside from do speed work on the bike.

Chief - congrats on the HMs and the health/weight improvements! Like Sand suggests, you could mix in more cross-training ...add some strength work; buy a decent bike, etc. Do you keep a training log? If you stick with running, maybe just mix up the routines ...drive to new locales nearby, or add in some trail running/racing. I believe the second year through tends to show continued improvement as you now know more about what works (or doesn't) with the training, how to eat before and hydrate during training and races, how to pace yourself, etc.
Yeah, I do keep a log. I do have a nice bike, so I could certainly incorporate that into my training. I'm pretty lucky where I live in the Kansas City area: I can get to a paved trail that is about 2.5 miles from my house. So I usually run there to go on my long runs: it literally goes for miles throughout the KC area. So I have some different scenery and topography.

KC is actually a pretty hilly city, especially where I live. So it's great training ground for me. My neighborhood especially has a nice mix of long uphills and downhills, steep uphills and downhills, and long stretches of flat area.

This winter I plan on mixing in more strength training.

One question I have though: how much in-race nutrition do most people do? I've run both my races (and my long runs) using about 2 chews about every 3 miles. But I'm finding myself getting really hungry at about the 10 mile mark. Should I be consuming more during the race? I would experiment during my training, but just not sure if I even need to go down that road for such a short distance of a race.

Users who are viewing this thread