What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Retired Cop Kills Man for Texting (1 Viewer)

Lesson: There's a reason the theatre chains tell you to turn off your phone during the show. I'm having a hard time deciding who was in the wrong here.

Gr00vus said:
jwb said:
The ironic thing is, as much as these incidents make the anti-gun people yell louder, they also strengthen my (and every CC person's) resolve to always carry.
There's no way more people carrying makes things better in this situation.
Tell that to the father who's dead.Part of the reason I carry is so that if I ever run into this type of situation I have a chance of saving myself and my loved ones from serious harm or death.

But let's let this thread continue on down the usual painting of the Herman Rockwell painting where all guns magically disappear from society.

Until you can guarantee those that wish to so me harm aren't armed, I chose to be.
I don't trust you to use your gun responsibly. Whether I carry or not has little to no bearing on that. If you get the drop on me, I'm dead, regardless of whether I too had a gun. Same thing in this situation. Whoever drew first with deadly intent was going to kill someone. More guns would just lead to more death/injury in this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Don't text in a movie theater

2. Don't #### with old people, they've got a helluva lot less to lose than you.

Nancy Grace has some solid material to choose form tonight. Acquitted cops in CA, crazy old ex-cop in FL and of course, another school shooting. I may tune in tonight.

Gr00vus said:
jwb said:
The ironic thing is, as much as these incidents make the anti-gun people yell louder, they also strengthen my (and every CC person's) resolve to always carry.
Tell that to the father who's dead.Part of the reason I carry is so that if I ever run into this type of situation I have a chance of saving myself and my loved ones from serious harm or death.

But let's let this thread continue on down the usual painting of the Herman Rockwell painting where all guns magically disappear from society.

Until you can guarantee those that wish to so me harm aren't armed, I chose to be.
This is where I stand too. I'm not crazy about all the guns that are around, but as long as people are going to have them, I want one.

Truthfully, I almost find it odd that anyone would disagree. You can be anti gun in general thought, yet still want the means to protect your family if it came down to that.
Just because you want the means to protect your family if it came down to that, doesn't mean that you are prepared/trained to know if "this" is one of those times or not.

Statorama said:
Joe T said:
Retired guy will get off with probation.

Mark it down.
I was thinking that some kind of dementia defense gets him life in an assisted living facility (guilty, but no prison)
It would be nice if it was dementia, but since he didn't forget about his gun on him, it wouldn't fly. ;)

fantasycurse42 said:
The Commish said:
culdeus said:
regardless if they take the popcorn as self defense he'll still get hit with agg/assault deadly weapon for shooting the wife in the hand.

I do think he will walk on the murder.
Unless he claims he was in fear for his life :shrug:
How could someone be in fear for their life while pointing a loaded gun at an unarmed man?
George Zimmerman comes to mind...

Guns or no guns, crazy murderous people will find ways to hurt other people. Anything can be a weapon

Id rather people have the right to carry guns and that they be available when needed. Not to just ban then altogether because a very small percentage of owners use them irresponsibly

And no I dont own a gun or ever plan to

I wonder how many "incidents" are avoided because a third party carrying a gun steps in to help out or how many "incidents" are avoided where the aggressor pulls a gun then backs off because the person being attacked also pulls a gun. Genuine curiosity.

I wonder how many "incidents" are avoided because a third party carrying a gun steps in to help out or how many "incidents" are avoided where the aggressor pulls a gun then backs off because the person being attacked also pulls a gun. Genuine curiosity.
I'd assume we'd hear about the first type of cases. Hero worship and all that. Wasn't there an off duty copy at the school shooting before last?The second probably won't make even local news unless the police gets there before they blow

Gr00vus said:
jwb said:

This is where I stand too. I'm not crazy about all the guns that are around, but as long as people are going to have them, I want one.

Truthfully, I almost find it odd that anyone would disagree. You can be anti gun in general thought, yet still want the means to protect your family if it came down to that.
Just because you want the means to protect your family if it came down to that, doesn't mean that you are prepared/trained to know if "this" is one of those times or not.
Yup, that's the rub. Not just with me, but with everyone. I'll have to do my best. I can tell you now leaving is always going to be my first option. It also helps that I'm a pretty big guy and can look pretty scary.

I don't carry to get into a gunfight or a quick draw contest. I keep it holstered, without a chambered round (my main carry gun anyway - I also have a revolver that I sometimes carry). There will be no fast draw / bang - I have to think about it before using it. In all honesty, I view my gun as something that will help me escape a situation (as in, leave the area). I view it more for the gang of teenagers looking for someone to beat up in a movie theater parking lot or gas station at 11pm - something I see coming, but can't easily escape from. Hopefully, my gun allows my wife and I to leave. My gun is for personal protection - it's not to stop a robbery/etc - that's not my job, and that's where problems start.

Again, I'll have to do the best I can. I hope I never have to use it. But I like having the option.

Gr00vus said:
jwb said:
Tell that to the father who's dead.
So what happens if the father is carrying? Then we have two people pointing guns at each other? I'm sure after that, they just put the guns away and watch the movie right?
That's when the magic happens...haven't you ever seen a Western?

Clifford said:
Good Lord this country is screwed...
Because people text in theaters?

Because old people won't die?

Because men have egos and can't back down in arguements?

Because America refuses to make possession of any weapon a felony?

Because of the attitude a good number of peace officers have?

Fantasy football?

Saw this story headline a few times over the past few days and finally read it. What a joke.

What a ridiculous law, that has to get changed soon right?

Clifford said:
Good Lord this country is screwed...
Because people text in theaters?

Because old people won't die?

Because men have egos and can't back down in arguements?

Because America refuses to make possession of any weapon a felony?

Because of the attitude a good number of peace officers have?

Fantasy football?
5/6, not bad.

Or you can just wrap it up into a complete disrespect for human life

Gr00vus said:
jwb said:

Protect your family from flying popcorn? I guess thats why i dont carry a gun....i dont a have a family to protect from ornery texting movie patrons

Gr00vus said:
jwb said:

Protect your family from flying popcorn? I guess thats why i dont carry a gun....i dont a have a family to protect from ornery texting movie patrons
Way to increase the hyperbole. You're assuming every gun owner would have shot there (or even pulled their gun). C'mon...

Guns or no guns, crazy murderous people will find ways to hurt other people. Anything can be a weapon

Id rather people have the right to carry guns and that they be available when needed. Not to just ban then altogether because a very small percentage of owners use them irresponsibly

And no I dont own a gun or ever plan to
This is actually a point that never gets brought up, but even in suicides, having a gun present in the house increases the likelihood that the depressed will commit suicide significantly simply because it provides an easy way to do so. There is research that proves it. Essentially depression is a long-term disease but suicide is generally a very short-term decision when it actually happens. The depression in the individual is usually triggered and heightened by outside stimuli of some kind. The studies showed that homes where a gun is present sharply increases the likelihood of the suicidal person actually taking action over a home without a gun, that still contained all manner of equipment one could use to kill oneself. There was no difference in the patients inclination toward suicide that mapped to the gun being present, but the execution of the act did.

In the houses studied without guns, there were people who initiated the suicidal act, but had time to change their decision or call for help to be rescued. So it's fair to point out that the presence of a gun was not alone in providing an apparatus for beginning the suicide. It did differ drastically in the execution to the end.

So if the presence of a gun causes a sharp increase in the likelihood of a decision as weighty as taking ones own life, I would have a hard time believing that someone is just as likely to take the life of someone else if they are armed with a knife or a gun. Furthermore, perhaps a weapon that is less effective would spare lives either through accident or reconsideration.

Gr00vus said:
jwb said:

It's Herbie Rockwell

Gr00vus said:
jwb said:

Way to increase the hyperbole. You're assuming every gun owner would have shot there (or even pulled their gun). C'mon...
I constantly read in all the gun threads guys who claim they carry so they can protect there families....like everyone is out to hurt there families for whatever reason. The family is in more danger of getting hurt in a car accident driving to or from the movies than getting shot IN the movies.Just seems like a knee jerk reason to carry a gun. This shooting never happens if the old dude wasnt carrying ...period.

Gr00vus said:
jwb said:

It's Herbie Rockwell
:lol:

Terrible, terrible tragedy for this young family and those involved directly and indirectly.

As a movie theater company executive we will continue to NOT ban weapons on the premises. We don't encourage bringing them in but we don't ban them with a sign either. I'm not convinced it will make the theater safer and I believe it could make it less safe. Same position before and after the Aurora theater shooting too.

Someone mentioned the theater manager being fired. Why? Never even crossed my mind.
So you're saying, as a movie theater executive, that fewer guns in a dark, crowded movie theater would make it less safe. Please, please explain how you arrive at this conclusion. I think as a movie theater executive you owe us that much.
:lol:

Read the arrest report... According to witnesses, no punches were thrown - The man threw his popcorn at the shooter who then pulled out a 380 and shot him in the chest. If this isn't 2nd degree murder, then it doesn't exist.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_pasco/wesley_chapel/pasco-county-releases-curtis-reeves-jr-arrest-report-in-wesley-chapel-movie-theater-shooting

You can read it at the bottom of this link. I don't know how anyone can defend this POS.
You know he's going to say that he thought it was more than popcorn or something to that effect to play the self defense case..

I likely have more range time and training hours over the last 12 months than half of the officers in the memphis police department. I take the responsibility of carrying very seriously and while I enjoy the hobby of shooting, part of why I take classes and practice at the range is so I'm not a liability to society in the event I ever have to draw in self defense. I can't say that for all folks, though more training should be mandatory.

The group I take defensive carry classes from are the same group that train regional swat teams. This isn't just going out and shooting bottles in jethro's back yard.

From USA Today:

A judge presiding over Reeves' first court appearance Tuesday said the evidence of his guilt was "significant." The prosecutor in the case told the judge investigators had received a call from another concerned moviegoer who said Reeves had once followed her to the bathroom over her texting.

ETA: Not USA Today, sorry... Here is link:

http://www.kabc.com/common/more.php?m=58&ts=1389738902&article=705675F37D5D11E3B51EFEFDADE6840A&mode=2
Oh this guy is guilty as hell and he will get locked up... hopefully.

TLDR

Could you even imagine sitting in the theater with these two aholes and a stray hitting you or your family? Geez

I likely have more range time and training hours over the last 12 months than half of the officers in the memphis police department. I take the responsibility of carrying very seriously and while I enjoy the hobby of shooting, part of why I take classes and practice at the range is so I'm not a liability to society in the event I ever have to draw in self defense. I can't say that for all folks, though more training should be mandatory.

The group I take defensive carry classes from are the same group that train regional swat teams. This isn't just going out and shooting bottles in jethro's back yard.
Man could you imagine for a second this happens around you at the movie theater? You then pull out your gun to protect your family and start shooting. WOW

With all due respect...

How does this range-time/training = "I won't lose my cool and start blasting"?

With all due respect...

1) Despite shtick on the forum here, I'm not unstable. I've been in near altercations before while carrying and never once occurred to me to reach for my pistol because it was no way near escalated to that point and that's the last thing I want to cause.

2) Range time / Training means I can maximize the odds of quickly hitting what I am aiming at, and minimize the odds of me hitting what I'm not aiming at in a stressful situation.

Here's a fact: Guns aren't going anywhere. Period. You guys can sit here and kick and scream about how the world would be better with zero guns. Cool I agree. But it will never happen. Soooooo would you rather have mental health and training requirements attempting to cultivate a more stable, responsible gun-toting public?

Keep in mind that still won't stop crazy people from getting guns if they want them... it's already been proven that this nation can't enforce the gun laws it has on the books now... but at least it might encourage responsible carry folks toward getting more training and range time outside the pathetically easy concealed carry class required to get a permit.

With all due respect...

1) Despite shtick on the forum here, I'm not unstable. I've been in near altercations before while carrying and never once occurred to me to reach for my pistol because it was no way near escalated to that point and that's the last thing I want to cause.

2) Range time / Training means I can maximize the odds of quickly hitting what I am aiming at, and minimize the odds of me hitting what I'm not aiming at in a stressful situation.

Here's a fact: Guns aren't going anywhere. Period. You guys can sit here and kick and scream about how the world would be better with zero guns. Cool I agree. But it will never happen. Soooooo would you rather have mental health and training requirements attempting to cultivate a more stable, responsible gun-toting public?

Keep in mind that still won't stop crazy people from getting guns if they want them... it's already been proven that this nation can't enforce the gun laws it has on the books now... but at least it might encourage responsible carry folks toward getting more training and range time outside the pathetically easy concealed carry class required to get a permit.
Given the Second Amendment, I'd actually be in favor of mandatory basic gun safety training courses for all citizens, regardless of whether they do or intend to own firearms.

With all due respect...

I wasn't trying to suggest that you are unstable (or really address you personally at all). I was just pointing out that knowing how to shoot doesn't = knowing when to shoot. Or even when to draw your weapon.

This retired cop could have been Carlos Hathcock but it sound like he had a screw loose.

With all due respect...

I wasn't trying to suggest that you are unstable (or really address you personally at all). I was just pointing out that knowing how to shoot doesn't = knowing when to shoot. Or even when to draw your weapon.

This retired cop could have been Carlos Hathcock but it sound like he had a screw loose.
That's an entire sentence in Shakespearean English.

With all due respect...

The problem with your approach is that it's not a matter of training. It's not a matter of education. It's a matter of the fact that anyone can have a gun, and that just isn't a responsible social policy. I think you should be able to own a gun, I think my brother-in-law and his whole family should be able to own a gun, and I think I should be able to own a gun. I really don't have a problem with people being able to own guns.

What I have a problem with is it being a right, because the second it's a right judgement goes out the window and now if we try to keep the blind from owning guns or the mentally ill from owning guns or just the plain old too angry and cranky to own a gun, then we're now violating their right.

I'm sorry but if you have even a cursory knowledge of our population, and how ####### stupid and irrational people are, if you think everyone should own a gun you are ####### nuts. Completely ####### nuts. There are legions of people out there who shouldn't be trusted with a ####### pocket knife, either due to sheer stupidity or lack of judgement or anger issues.

So none of us believe in some magical fairy land where guns don't exist and no one gets shot. At least I don't. What I would like to see is some ####### reality injected into the national conversation about who we really are as a populace and how we act. And one thing we are not, as a whole, is rational, thoughtful, reasonable and smart.

With all due respect...

Oh I make no assertions that training will help in the case that someone is a nutjob. WE have laws on the books to try to prevent those people from getting guns but we're not doing a good job of enforcing those as it is.

Training does actually address situations when you should (very very rarely and only as a last resort against a lethal threat) draw, and when you should (pretty much all the time) keep your #### in your holster. Despite the legal shenanigans in Florida, the law is actually very clear about needing to be able to identify someone who has both intent and ability to do lethal harm to you before self defense with a gun is warranted.

The perception that all handgun carriers are running around with an itchy trigger finger is simply false. There are over 6 Million concealed carry permit holders around this country and incidents involving concealed cary permit holders participating in unwarranted shootings are relatively rare, and most involve people who shouldn't have those guns if we did a good job enforcing current laws.

i'm not saying it's a perfect system... but given the reality of the situation, a little more training and better enforcement of existing mental health checks would go a long way in minimizing this sort of stuff.

With all due respect...

Given the Second Amendment, I'd actually be in favor of mandatory basic gun safety training courses for all citizens, regardless of whether they do or intend to own firearms.
I like this. Safer society and in the event of the zombie apocalypse everyone is a little more prepared

Gr00vus said:
jwb said:

I constantly read in all the gun threads guys who claim they carry so they can protect there families....like everyone is out to hurt there families for whatever reason. The family is in more danger of getting hurt in a car accident driving to or from the movies than getting shot IN the movies.Just seems like a knee jerk reason to carry a gun. This shooting never happens if the old dude wasnt carrying ...period.
I agree with you on the unlikelihood of it all. It has nothing to do with what we were talking about though (or at least me). The dude who shot in that theater is guilty in my mind. No defense for him from me.

Back to the topic - As long as others have guns, and as long as we have a very violent society where things like "the knockout" game and flash mob robberies happen, I choose to be armed. What that has to do with the odds of an incident is irrelevant to me. We had a late night murder in my mall a few years back, and dodged a major, major shooting because the guy was a klutz. These things can and do happen. You can look at the stats and say "won't happen to me", and I'll be right there with you. Cept I'll be armed just in case we're wrong. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

From USA Today:

A judge presiding over Reeves' first court appearance Tuesday said the evidence of his guilt was "significant." The prosecutor in the case told the judge investigators had received a call from another concerned moviegoer who said Reeves had once followed her to the bathroom over her texting.

http://www.kabc.com/common/more.php?m=58&ts=1389738902&article=705675F37D5D11E3B51EFEFDADE6840A&mode=2
Bet this guy was an awesome cop.

So none of us believe in some magical fairy land where guns don't exist and no one gets shot. At least I don't. What I would like to see is some ####### reality injected into the national conversation about who we really are as a populace and how we act. And one thing we are not, as a whole, is rational, thoughtful, reasonable and smart.
What is the reality you want injected? (I'm serious - I'd like to hear it. I might even agree with it).

From USA Today:

Bet this guy was an awesome cop.
He helped start the tac response team (aka SWAT). The mentality of those guys is roll in heavy and make the earth quake beneath your feet, etc. I'm sure he's a real peach to deal with.

fantasycurse42 said:
The Commish said:
culdeus said:
regardless if they take the popcorn as self defense he'll still get hit with agg/assault deadly weapon for shooting the wife in the hand.

I do think he will walk on the murder.
Unless he claims he was in fear for his life :shrug:
How could someone be in fear for their life while pointing a loaded gun at an unarmed man?
Ask the Zimmerman jury.
Zimmerman's head was being bounced off the concrete moments before the shooting so there was a valid arguement to be made. I don't think the old man had a scratch on him even from that popcorn attack.
Evidence suggests otherwise, but it doesn't matter in Florida. All Florida requires is that you believe person was scared for their lives at any moment. Anything happening before or after that moment doesn't matter.
Link to this evidence?

Ever been in a movie theater where someone in the back row emptied his bladder on the floor and it flowed down to the front row?

Did I mention I don't go to movies anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread