What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (1 Viewer)

Ok, what's everyone making for Sunday?

I have class on Saturday, but I'm thinking of putting a pork shoulder on at 11pm with my Digi-q and making some pulled pork. Then putting on ribs in the morning, and following with a spatchcocked chicken before the game.
2 racks of ribs. Competition with another L Egg owner. Going 3-1 then moving and hoping to find a grill there to sauce then firm up on.

I'm going to brine them first for a bit to give me extra runway on the back end.

I think you have two options

1) Cook the ribs all the way, wrap and put in a cooler. When you get wherever you are going warm them up in their oven. If possible, when done use the broiler to firm them up a bit for like 2 minutes max.

2) Give them 3 hours of smoke and wrap them. Finish for an hour in an oven at 225. Unwrap to firm up like step 1). This would make sense if you were in a major time crunch.

IMO do the turkey the day before. Or at least such that it comes off at like 10am. Let that thing cool down and serve for sammiches at a colder temp maybe.
Thanks for the advice. The party is at my place. I could put something in the oven to cook and save some grief, but obviously I prefer to use the egg for as much as possible.I think I'll go with your #1 above and maybe heat up for 10 minutes in the oven with a little sauce to glaze and crisp up the edges. Should be ok to keep them in a cooler for a few hours after I pull them?
Sorry to cloud this thread with slum talk, but what about picking yourself up a Weber Kettle for $150?

I know that's a huge step down for you BGE folk, but picking up an extra 363" of grate space for pocket change to make life simpler on SB Sunday might be worth it.

Then, once Sunday's over and you don't want that ghetto trash sullying up your back porch, just throw it in the trash (actually, don't do that, there are many of us poor Kettle lovers that'll always take unwanted Kettles off your hands).

On another note. I got the egg ready last night in the blizzard and I went to unlock my war chest (I keep my lump, wood, etc. in there) and the key wouldn't go in. It looked like someone might have tampered with it. I tried putting a flame to the lock to melt ice, but it didn't work. Might have to grab the bolt cutters. Very frustrating to cook the skirt steak on the CI rather than the BGE.

I've also been meaning to post the table that my gf and her father made me for Xmas. Here it is, 100% cedar, it's freaking beautiful/awesome: http://cdn.vanillaforums.com/biggreenegg.vanillaforums.com/FileUpload/f7/a746cc16cde1934a592be042cf9252.jpg
Very cool table. I like the legs with bark on...

I think you have two options 1) Cook the ribs all the way, wrap and put in a cooler. When you get wherever you are going warm them up in their oven. If possible, when done use the broiler to firm them up a bit for like 2 minutes max.2) Give them 3 hours of smoke and wrap them. Finish for an hour in an oven at 225. Unwrap to firm up like step 1). This would make sense if you were in a major time crunch. IMO do the turkey the day before. Or at least such that it comes off at like 10am. Let that thing cool down and serve for sammiches at a colder temp maybe.
Thanks for the advice. The party is at my place. I could put something in the oven to cook and save some grief, but obviously I prefer to use the egg for as much as possible.I think I'll go with your #1 above and maybe heat up for 10 minutes in the oven with a little sauce to glaze and crisp up the edges. Should be ok to keep them in a cooler for a few hours after I pull them?
Sorry to cloud this thread with slum talk, but what about picking yourself up a Weber Kettle for $150?I know that's a huge step down for you BGE folk, but picking up an extra 363" of grate space for pocket change to make life simpler on SB Sunday might be worth it.Then, once Sunday's over and you don't want that ghetto trash sullying up your back porch, just throw it in the trash (actually, don't do that, there are many of us poor Kettle lovers that'll always take unwanted Kettles off your hands).
This opens up an interesting question I don't think anyone has asked in this thread.

What smokers/grills do you currently use?

For me:9

Large BGE

Weber Genesis gas grill

No name smaller kettle drum grill

I have class on Saturday, but I'm thinking of putting a pork shoulder on at 11pm with my Digi-q and making some pulled pork. Then putting on ribs in the morning, and following with a spatchcocked chicken before the game.
2 racks of ribs. Competition with another L Egg owner. Going 3-1 then moving and hoping to find a grill there to sauce then firm up on.

I'm going to brine them first for a bit to give me extra runway on the back end.
How long of a drive do the ribs have? Or am I reading this wrong? I've had better luck foiling, towel, then cooler.

With the weather going to be nice the next few days I might try 3 items, one each day

Chicken Wings, Asian tea smoked ribs, and a spatchcock chicken.

1) Cook the ribs all the way, wrap and put in a cooler. When you get wherever you are going warm them up in their oven. If possible, when done use the broiler to firm them up a bit for like 2 minutes max.

2) Give them 3 hours of smoke and wrap them. Finish for an hour in an oven at 225. Unwrap to firm up like step 1). This would make sense if you were in a major time crunch.

IMO do the turkey the day before. Or at least such that it comes off at like 10am. Let that thing cool down and serve for sammiches at a colder temp maybe.
Sorry to cloud this thread with slum talk, but what about picking yourself up a Weber Kettle for $150?

I know that's a huge step down for you BGE folk, but picking up an extra 363" of grate space for pocket change to make life simpler on SB Sunday might be worth it.

Then, once Sunday's over and you don't want that ghetto trash sullying up your back porch, just throw it in the trash (actually, don't do that, there are many of us poor Kettle lovers that'll always take unwanted Kettles off your hands).
Ha, if you look hard and long enough, you can find used Eggs on CL for like 300. No way am I using a kettle.

On another note. I got the egg ready last night in the blizzard and I went to unlock my war chest (I keep my lump, wood, etc. in there) and the key wouldn't go in. It looked like someone might have tampered with it. I tried putting a flame to the lock to melt ice, but it didn't work. Might have to grab the bolt cutters. Very frustrating to cook the skirt steak on the CI rather than the BGE.

I've also been meaning to post the table that my gf and her father made me for Xmas. Here it is, 100% cedar, it's freaking beautiful/awesome: http://cdn.vanillaforums.com/biggreenegg.vanillaforums.com/FileUpload/f7/a746cc16cde1934a592be042cf9252.jpg
Thanks, it was a labor of love.

My gf and her father liked this so much, he's decided to make a few to see if they sell. He had one out on his property and some guy came and bought one.

With the weather going to be nice the next few days I might try 3 items, one each day

Once you do this, there is no other way to easily cook a chick IMO. Rubbed up or not, it's fantastic. Tip: Spatchcock it and leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight. You'll get crispier skin that way.

I only use my BGE - the other grill holds my utensils and three feet. However, I am looking at big smokers that I can trail with my jeep.

How long of a drive do the ribs have? Or am I reading this wrong? I've had better luck foiling, towel, then cooler.
Oh, just around the block, but not sure when they will serve.

Ha, if you look hard and long enough, you can find used Eggs on CL for like 300. No way am I using a kettle.
Good point.

I was just talking about the absolute worst case scenario, if 2 days wasn't enough time to procure a used BGE (and he didn't want to get a new).

He'd also need a place to set up the Kettle where none of the guests could see it. That'd leave him the option of picking one up today or Saturday, using it for the extra space on Sunday, then immediately donating it to charity so no one ever had to know ever owned a piece of #### Kettle.

Good point.

I was just talking about the absolute worst case scenario, if 2 days wasn't enough time to procure a used BGE (and he didn't want to get a new).

He'd also need a place to set up the Kettle where none of the guests could see it. That'd leave him the option of picking one up today or Saturday, using it for the extra space on Sunday, then immediately donating it to charity so no one ever had to know ever owned a piece of #### Kettle.
Nothing wrong with owning a Kettle, just so hard to go back after using the Egg :thumbup:

My gf and her father liked this so much, he's decided to make a few to see if they sell. He had one out on his property and some guy came and bought one.
How much did it sell for? I thought of doing this as well...seems like it would be fun. Not sure I'd make much doing it. I've considered the same with cornhole boards...

Substitute wings for the spatchcock, and I'm doing the exact same thing. Just got my pit IQ in the mail yesterday. :porked:
After you use it a few times can you give a review?
Sure. I'll chime in after this weekend.

How much did it sell for? I thought of doing this as well...seems like it would be fun. Not sure I'd make much doing it. I've considered the same with cornhole boards...
He's a woodworker/tree guy so he had the materials and it wasn't that tough. I think a good chunk of his Saturday was devoted to it. I am waiting to use it, since I want to sand and then marine varnish it with multiple coats.

He sold the other one for $400 or so. Not bad at all for a table.

He's a woodworker/tree guy so he had the materials and it wasn't that tough. I think a good chunk of his Saturday was devoted to it. I am waiting to use it, since I want to sand and then marine varnish it with multiple coats.

He sold the other one for $400 or so. Not bad at all for a table.
Ooh, tell me more about marine varnish!

The varnish I used on my table doesn't hold up great over the winter and I have to re-apply every spring. Part of this is I do a horrible job covering it consistently since I use it in the winter and I can't cover while hot and it invariably snows that night or whatever.

Once you do this, there is no other way to easily cook a chick IMO. Rubbed up or not, it's fantastic. Tip: Spatchcock it and leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight. You'll get crispier skin that way.

I only use my BGE - the other grill holds my utensils and three feet. However, I am looking at big smokers that I can trail with my jeep.
yeah I love spatchcock chicken as well. It was the very first cook I did on the Egg 7+ years ago. It is so easy and almost impossible to screw up.

I also use the backbone I cut out to make a stock (I make a ton of sauces and always need chicken or beef stock so I made every change I get and freeze)

The varnish I used on my table doesn't hold up great over the winter and I have to re-apply every spring. Part of this is I do a horrible job covering it consistently since I use it in the winter and I can't cover while hot and it invariably snows that night or whatever.
I have this same problem too. The damn thing stays hot for hours on end when you are done cooking :)

Many coats of a good marine varnish, lightly sanded in between works great. I used this method for my boat's transom and repelled water forever.

I finished spatch cocking and cleaning the chicken.

It is now drying in the fridge for use later today.

I am using the extra pieces (backbone, neck, etc) to make a nice chicken stock today (with tomatoes, celery, onion and carrot) and intend to use the stock tomorrow for a mushroom risotto.

I am using the extra pieces (backbone, neck, etc) to make a nice chicken stock today (with tomatoes, celery, onion and carrot) and intend to use the stock tomorrow for a mushroom risotto.
Nice, sounds great. I put the Digiq DX2 to first time use and it has been a godsend for my overnight cook. No more worrying about temps at all. The pork shoulder has been at 235* since 930 last night. Internal temp is at 185* right now. Should be done in two hours or so. Then foil, towel cooler for a few hours while I make thighs. Bakery rolls with homemade coleslaw to go with the pulled pork :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Nice, sounds great. I put the Digiq DX2 to first time use and it has been a godsend for my overnight cook. No more worrying about temps at all. The pork shoulder has been at 235* since 930 last night. Internal temp is at 185* right now. Should be done in two hours or so. Then foil, towel cooler for a few hours while I make thighs. Bakery rolls with homemade coleslaw to go with the pulled pork :thumbup:
Awesome!

How big was the shoulder?

How much did the Digiq DX2 run you?

Awesome!How big was the shoulder?

8lbs. I got it for Xmas but I think around $250 all in?

I put 11 pounds of pork shoulder on at 10 last night. Took it off this morning, then loaded up 4 racks of ribs. Took those off a little while ago and now have 6 racks AND a 5 pound brisket on right now.

Haven't had to add any more fuel to this thing. It's amazing. What a horse.

I'll have to take a picture of this now with the ribs and brisket. It's hysterical. No room left at all. They're cozy in there.

So, what are the must-have accessories?

Feels like Christmas morning and I haven't even gotten the thing yet. :)
I would get the custom adjustable rigs. A little spendier than getting a plate setter, but more usable.
Ceramic grill store, take a look.
yes I agree. I would forgo the plate setter and get one of the adjustable rigs. After I got my adjustable rig this year I don't think I have used my plate setter since then. Here is a link to peruse:

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/

I also never use an ash tool, I just use a shop vac and vacuum it out.

McGarnicle, have you done much research on the Egg? If not, take some time to learn (ask questions here etc). It can help you better understand what you need.

This is a fantastic FAQ to read through if you have not done so already

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm

Once you decide what you want to cook on the Egg, we can make a ton of suggestions for you.

Nice, sounds great.I put the Digiq DX2 to first time use and it has been a godsend for my overnight cook. No more worrying about temps at all. The pork shoulder has been at 235* since 930 last night. Internal temp is at 185* right now. Should be done in two hours or so. Then foil, towel cooler for a few hours while I make thighs. Bakery rolls with homemade coleslaw to go with the pulled pork :thumbup:

can you describe how you started up the Egg? Do you bring it to your target temp and then install the DigiQ or is the DigiQ on from the very beginning of the light?

Nice, sounds great.I put the Digiq DX2 to first time use and it has been a godsend for my overnight cook. No more worrying about temps at all. The pork shoulder has been at 235* since 930 last night. Internal temp is at 185* right now. Should be done in two hours or so. Then foil, towel cooler for a few hours while I make thighs. Bakery rolls with homemade coleslaw to go with the pulled pork :thumbup:

can you describe how you started up the Egg? Do you bring it to your target temp and then install the DigiQ or is the DigiQ on from the very beginning of the light?
I let it get lit wide open. Put the blower on after 10 min. 10 min later gtg. $$$$$

FYI I use partyq. Killed it tonight with my stuff at the party. My plate sold out first.
How's the battery?Does it have a battery indicator?
4xAA in a 2s2p. I use nimah cells and it has about a 12 hr runtime. If I ever get off my ### ill breadboard something to step down a 12v.
Not bad but it would be really tough to do overnight cooks with that sometimes. I had the digiq running 17 hours, which was great, but it would be nice if there were fewer wires.

FYI I use partyq. Killed it tonight with my stuff at the party. My plate sold out first.
How's the battery?Does it have a battery indicator?
4xAA in a 2s2p. I use nimah cells and it has about a 12 hr runtime. If I ever get off my ### ill breadboard something to step down a 12v.
Not bad but it would be really tough to do overnight cooks with that sometimes. I had the digiq running 17 hours, which was great, but it would be nice if there were fewer wires.
I keep a fresh set and swap them before bedtime. If in a pinch alkaline will run 18 easy. Nimah run at a lower voltage than alkaline under load so it can fool the gauge on the system.

Users who are viewing this thread