What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2014 Draft Prospects (1 Viewer)

Jeremiah: 10 underclassmen WRs could go in first two rounds

By Dan Greenspan

College Football 24/7 writer

For all the hand-wringing about the number of underclassmen who entered the 2014 NFL Draft, those teams in need of a wide receiver will not be complaining. NFL Draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah believes early-entrant wide receivers could account for up to 15 percent of the players selected in the first two rounds.

"When you talk about the underclassmen, that's where the guts of this draft is. Last year was more senior-heavy. This year we're talking about 9-10 underclass wide receivers that are first, second-round players in my opinion," Jeremiah told "Super Bowl Live" on NFL.com on Thursday.

Jeremiah has a staggering seven wide receivers in his first most draft, a tally that includes Sammy Watkins of Clemson, Mike Evans of Texas A&M, Kelvin Benjamin of Florida State, Marqise Lee of USC, Paul Richardson of Colorado, Jarvis Landry of LSU and Davante Adams of Fresno State.

Others who could draw similar top marks include Oregon State's Brandin Cooks, Penn State's Allen Robinson and LSU's Odell Beckham Jr.

If Jeremiah's mock draft turns out to be on the money, the 2014 draft would have the most wide receivers selected in the first round since 2004, when seven came off the board within the first 32 picks.

A total of seven wide receivers were taken in the first round of the 2012-13 drafts combined.

With the quarterback and offensive tackle positions similarly bolstered by players who still had eligibility remaining, it is going to take a similar influx from the ranks of the underclassmen to stock the 2015 draft.

Follow Dan Greenspan on Twitter @DanGreenspan.
Every year I get excited about a prospect flying under the radar only to have them surge up in the rankings before my drafts. Jarvis Landry will be that player this year. It would not surprise me in the least if he were the first WR drafted. He's very fast, has incredible hands, he's tough and aggressive, highly motivated, and his body control is through the roof.

YouTube

Jeremiah: 10 underclassmen WRs could go in first two rounds

By Dan Greenspan

For all the hand-wringing about the number of underclassmen who entered the 2014 NFL Draft, those teams in need of a wide receiver will not be complaining. NFL Draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah believes early-entrant wide receivers could account for up to 15 percent of the players selected in the first two rounds.

"When you talk about the underclassmen, that's where the guts of this draft is. Last year was more senior-heavy. This year we're talking about 9-10 underclass wide receivers that are first, second-round players in my opinion," Jeremiah told "Super Bowl Live" on NFL.com on Thursday.

Jeremiah has a staggering seven wide receivers in his first most draft, a tally that includes Sammy Watkins of Clemson, Mike Evans of Texas A&M, Kelvin Benjamin of Florida State, Marqise Lee of USC, Paul Richardson of Colorado, Jarvis Landry of LSU and Davante Adams of Fresno State.

Others who could draw similar top marks include Oregon State's Brandin Cooks, Penn State's Allen Robinson and LSU's Odell Beckham Jr.

If Jeremiah's mock draft turns out to be on the money, the 2014 draft would have the most wide receivers selected in the first round since 2004, when seven came off the board within the first 32 picks.

A total of seven wide receivers were taken in the first round of the 2012-13 drafts combined.

With the quarterback and offensive tackle positions similarly bolstered by players who still had eligibility remaining, it is going to take a similar influx from the ranks of the underclassmen to stock the 2015 draft.

Follow Dan Greenspan on Twitter @DanGreenspan.
Every year I get excited about a prospect flying under the radar only to have them surge up in the rankings before my drafts. Jarvis Landry will be that player this year. It would not surprise me in the least if he were the first WR drafted. He's very fast, has incredible hands, he's tough and aggressive, highly motivated, and his body control is through the roof.

YouTube
Who was it last year?

Busted.

Actually I felt I got lucky last year drafting Christine Michael at 1.08 and 1.09 in two leagues; maybe I'll get similar results this year with Jarvis Landry. In my other two dynasty leagues I had dealt my 2013 1st rounder in 2012 to move up to draft Andrew Luck.

Landry doesn't look that big and I don't know how great his speed is. That's a question mark for me. If he runs fast, I'll be more optimistic. He has made some of the best catches of any WR in college football over the last couple years, so I know he's got the goods from an innate receiving skills standpoint. Just a question of whether his athletic tools will be good enough for him to thrive against the higher caliber of DBs he'll be facing in the NFL.

YouTube
I like his teammate Odell Beckham a little better. He's equal in size to Landry, only faster and quicker, albeit with worse hands. Landry will make a better possession receiver, so he may serve better in PPR leagues.

YouTube
I like his teammate Odell Beckham a little better. He's equal in size to Landry, only faster and quicker, albeit with worse hands. Landry will make a better possession receiver, so he may serve better in PPR leagues.
Odell looks faster, but I see a Ted Ginn trajectory for him. Landry on the other hand seems to have a freak-like quality that I'm a sucker for.

I think both LSU WRs are overrated, at least from a fantasy point of view. I'm guessing they'll both be better NFL WRs than fantasy WRs. I'd say they're both probably safe bets to be producing NFL WRs, but they look a lot more like complementary #2 WR types rather than WR1s who'll be able to put up 1,000+ yard, 7+ TD seasons on a consistent basis. On the right team I could see either of them putting up nice yardage seasons consistently, but I don't anticipate either of them ever scoring TDs on a consistent basis in the NFL, they're both too slow and small imo.

Of the two I prefer Landry at the moment. I think he has the possibility of at least being a PPR stud if he's drafted to the right team. I have a tougher time seeing Beckham ever being a fantasy stud as a relatively small and slow downfield WR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, did anyone else notice how Carlos Hyde made back-to-back hands catches late in the game? One was down the left side of the field on a wheel route for a solid 30+ yard game where he caught the ball away from his body. Next play he sneaks out on a wheel route to the right side and catches another away from his body.

If he can catch like that consistently, we may be looking at one of the most complete RBs in the draft as we've already heard praise for his pass pro, and Millen continually raved about his running ability last night -- patience and power.
I'm finally getting around to watching all the bowl games I recorded, and I noticed these catches as well. The TD catch I think he had to jump for, but caught it with the hands, only a slight bobble, and easily held on.

Ginn was a return man with very little receiving ability. Beckham is one of the better pure receivers with very good return ability.

I think both LSU WRs are overrated, at least from a fantasy point of view. I'm guessing they'll both be better NFL WRs than fantasy WRs. I'd say they're both probably safe bets to be producing NFL WRs, but they look a lot more like complementary #2 WR types rather than WR1s who'll be able to put up 1,000+ yard, 7+ TD seasons on a consistent basis. On the right team I could see either of them putting up nice yardage seasons consistently, but I don't anticipate either of them ever scoring TDs on a consistent basis in the NFL, they're both too slow and small imo.

Of the two I prefer Landry at the moment. I think he has the possibility of at least being a PPR stud if he's drafted to the right team. I have a tougher time seeing Beckham ever being a fantasy stud as a relatively small and slow downfield WR.
Time will tell.

I'm not saying anything about Landry either way yet, but I prefer guys who can get open enough that they're playing pitch and catch with the QB instead of being covered and making circus catches.

I know I don't post very often but I figured I'd jump in on the Landry/Beckham discussion as an LSU fan. I am generally higher on both guys as "real football" prospects than as fantasy prospects. According to that distinction, I would prefer Landry from a real football standpoint, and Beckham from a fantasy standpoint, but only by a slight margin.

In general LSU fans speak more highly of Landry though both players are very popular with the fan base. Where Landry has higher status that mostly has to with him being the more reliable all-around football player. He has great hands (2 dropped balls all season), is very strong and physical (not only in terms of WR skills but also as a blocker), and seemed to especially excel in big moments. Most of the highlights people see are of his circus catches, but he has more bread-and-butter WR skills than the highlights might suggest (for example, concentrating in tight coverage, using his physicality to create separation). I do think he has less explosiveness out of breaks than Beckham (so you will see him tightly covered in some cases), but in general I think Landry is underrated as an athlete.

I think Beckham may be a slightly better fantasy prospect because of his explosiveness and the possibility that he could be used in multiple ways by an NFL coordinator. He's a remarkable athlete (smooth, fast) who is tough in the open field, and I think his all-around versatility could motivate coaches to get him involved in different parts of the offense. Beckham can be frustrating in terms of consistency. A lot like Brandon Lafell (who is still this way with the Panthers for what it's worth) the athleticism is obvious, but there's a tendency to drop the ball at the worst possible times (and Beckham has also had some very poorly-timed fumbles). To be clear: I think Beckham is a much better player than Lafell, so I'm just comparing the concerns from a fan's perspective. Whether that's much of a problem or fantasy purposes depends I suppose. If anything, Beckham excels at the impossible catch, sometimes more than the routine.

NFLDraftScout.com and CBSSports.com scouting reports:

Odell Beckham Jr.

Excerpt:

Overview

Odell Beckham, Jr. followed in his father's footsteps in playing for the Tigers - Odell Beckham, Sr. was a running back for LSU from 1989-92, playing in 28 games.

The family's athletics bloodlines are strong as Beckham, Jr.'s mother was an All-American track runner for LSU from 1991-93, helping lead the Lady tigers to five national championships.

The athleticism and speed clearly passed down to Beckham, Jr., who was a big-play receiving and rushing threat at Isidore Newman high school in New Orleans while also playing cornerback.

A four-star recruit by Scout.com and Rivals.com, there was little doubt Beckham would matriculate to Baton Route for his college ball. He earned Freshman All-SEC honors after posting 41 catches for 475 yards and two touchdowns in 2011, playing in all 14 games including nine starts.

The following season, Beckham started 12 of 13 games and led the Tigers with 43 catches and 713 yards. He also returned 35 punts for 320 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

Beckham was a first-team All-SEC pick by the coaches and named the 2013 Paul Hornung Award winner as the FBS' most versatile player after shattering the Tigers' single-season record for all-purpose yardage as a junior. Beckham, Jr. racked up 2,222 all-purpose yards, breaking Domanick Davis' previous mark of 2,120 set in 2002.

His abilities as a return man will certainly help his draft stock. He displays "remarkable vision, agility and acceleration," according to NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst Rob Rang.

Analysis

STRENGTHS: Smooth athlete with very good acceleration to get up to top speed quickly. Terrific shake and burst out of his cuts to beat press and do something after the catch - dangerous with the ball. Excellent vision with dynamic moves. Good footwork, timing and depth in his routes to create separation and catch the ball well in stride.

Much improved hands, doing a nice job elevating and extending to snare the ball from the air - large catching radius and tracks well. Ball appears to slow down for him at the catch point, making fluid adjustments with natural body control.

Speedy and explosive return man on special teams with vision, awareness and toughness to create - two career punt returns for scores. Consistent production all three seasons at LSU with career-highs in 2013.

WEAKNESSES: Only average height and overall body strength - room to get stronger. Lacks elite speed and can be caught from behind by NFL DBs. Timid at times over the middle.

Has improved leaps and bounds catching the ball with his hands, but he will still have the occasional drop off his mitts. Missed blocking assignment and needs technique work in this area.

Room to improve his judgment and consistency fielding punts. Only 12 career receiving scores in 34 career starts.

COMPARES TO: Cecil Shorts, Jacksonville Jaguars - Beckham and Shorts are both exciting players with the ball in their hands and have shown steady improvements catching the ball over the years.

--Dane Brugler (1/7/14)
Jarvis Landry

Overview

Landry was ranked as the No. 1 receiver in the nation by MaxPreps.com and No. 4 by Rivals.com and Scout.com coming out of Metairie, La. A five-star recruit, he played in 14 games with one start as a freshman.

He played in 13 games with one more start in 2012, leading the Tigers in receptions (56) and touchdown catches (5) and finishing second with 573 receiving yards. Landry also played significantly on special teams, recording nine tackles and returning four kickoffs for 76 yards and one punt for seven yards.

Landry led LSU with a career-high 77 catches for 1,193 yards and 10 touchdowns as a junior, but didn't figure as heavily into the special teams action, returning only one punt for no gain.

Landry is a smooth athlete capable of making dazzling catches, but inconsistently has prevented him from warranting first-round consideration. Landry was particularly adept at getting open on underneath routes for LSU, quickly uncovering at the line of scrimmage while attacking soft zones in coverage before showing his numbers to the quarterback.

He is tough and brave in tight coverage and routinely shows the ability to win in contested situations. While teammate Odell Beckham is probably more of a home-run threat, Landry is the better pro prospect because of his large, reliable hands and natural build and athleticism to do something with the catch.

Analysis

STRENGTHS: Solidly-built frame with above average toughness and body strength. Good build-up speed with smooth quickness and body control. Strong cuts and controlled momentum down the field - very good catch-and-go receiver. Good depth and lean in his routes and won't slow down in his breaks - good patience and plays off defenders to create some room to work.

Above average hands-catcher with quick reflexes and ball skills to pluck fastballs away from his body. Strong hands and very good in contested situations - uses his body and arms to out-muscle defenders. Excellent hand-eye coordination. Nice job catching the ball in stride with a little wiggle after the catch - deceiving moves, balance and toughness and not an easy guy to tackle. Fearless and resilient pass-catcher over the middle and in traffic - very determined.

Always looking for someone to block. Led LSU in catches and receiving scores the past two seasons. Good special teams coverage experience.

WEAKNESSES: Good size and speed, but limited in both areas. Only average height and length for the position. Takes a few moments to get up to his top-end speed and can be slowed in his routes by physical defenders - will struggle at times vs. press. Not naturally explosive and takes a few moments to gear down - doesn't show the burst to consistently separate with his quickness.

Will get his feet tied up at times in his patterns and has room to tighten his footwork. Strong hands, but he'll have his share of focus drops.

COMPARES TO: Eric Decker, Denver Broncos - Landry is more reliable with his hands and isn't quite as tall, but he projects similar to Decker with their movements, body control and toughness after the catch.

--Dane Brugler (1/8/14)

I don't see Jarvis Landry any better or different than TJ Jones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J9jLfTpukI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFxyJcL_250
Eh, TJ Jones is a pretty mediocre prospect imo. He's got nice speed, but he certainly doesn't have the WR skills that Landry has imo. Jones did a lot better this year than in past years, but he still has a bit of a tendency to body catch and he still dropped quite a few catchable balls this year because of it. Personally I wouldn't waste a roster spot in fantasy on TJ Jones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J9jLfTpukI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFxyJcL_250
Eh, TJ Jones is a pretty mediocre prospect imo. He's got nice speed, but he certainly doesn't have the WR skills that Landry has imo. Jones did a lot better this year than in past years, but he still has a bit of a tendency to body catch and he still dropped quite a few catchable balls this year because of it. Personally I wouldn't waste a roster spot in fantasy on TJ Jones.
I interpret this to be Xue's point. Am I right in that this is meaning that you think Landry is just an ok prospect?

Rotoworld:

Ohio State's Carlos Hyde ranks as draft insider Tony Pauline's top RB.

Hyde earned a fringe first-round grade. We love the Buckeye's talent, mainly his ability to beat first contact and his experience as a pass protector. Three running backs were given solid second-round grades: Lache Seastrunk, Bishop Sankey and Ka'Deem Carey.

Source: TFY Draft Insider
Draft insider Tony Pauline ranks UCF's Blake Bortles has his No. 1 QB in the 2014 class.

Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater is No. 2, followed by Derek Carr and Johnny Manziel. All four earned first-round grades. Bortles has a very good chance at being the first quarterback selected in May, since teams will love his size and strong pocket movement. LSU's Zach Mettenberger was the only quarterback to earn a second-round grade, while AJ McCarron drew a third-round label.

Source: TFY Draft Insider

Auburn RB Tre Mason aiming to be first-round pick in NFL draft

By Mike Huguenin

Auburn's Tre Mason is looking to prove he's the No. 1 back in the 2014 draft.

Mason, who left Auburn after his junior season, signed with agent Bus Cook on Friday. Cook also represents, among others, South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney and North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron in this draft.

Mason ran for 1,816 yards and 23 touchdowns in 2013 -- the yardage total was the fifth-highest in the nation, and the TD total was tied for third-most. The yardage total was the third-highest in SEC history, behind only Herschel Walker (1,891 in 1981) and Darren McFadden (1,830 in 2007). The rushing TD total tied Tim Tebow for the most in a season in SEC history.

Mason was especially strong down the stretch, finishing the season with six consecutive 100-yard outings, including an epic 304-yard, four-TD performance in the SEC championship game and a 195-yard, one-TD effort in the national championship game.

"I'm not afraid to put my head and nose in there and get dirty," Mason said Jan. 9 as he declared for the draft. "I feel like I can run between the tackles and also outside the tackles. I just try to be very dynamic and run the ball different ways."

The NFL Draft Advisory Board gave Mason a third-round grade in December, but Cook thinks Mason is a potential first-rounder.

"At the end of the day, I think he's every bit as good as any other back in the country," Cook told al.com.

Mason will be out to make an impression at the combine, which begins Feb. 19 in Indianapolis. One positive for Mason is that he doesn't dance around looking for a hole -- he is very much a North-South runner. He also showed he was durable in 2013: Mason had three 20-plus carry games in his first two seasons but had nine in '13, including seven with at least 26 carries.

His receiving ability is a question, as is his size (he was listed at 5-foot-10 by Auburn but it will be interesting to see if his official measurements produce a different height). While quick, he lacks top-flight speed, and he often ran behind a fullback at Auburn. Can he succeed in a one-back offense, given his questionable receiving ability? Despite his strong season, Mason has a lot to prove in the next three months.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

USC coach: 'Sky is the limit' for WR Marqise Lee

By Dan Greenspan

LOS ANGELES -- Marqise Lee is pretty easy to figure out. When the USC wide receiver was happy, angry or frustrated, it was visible on his face and obvious in his body language. The only time you won't get a read on Lee is trying to figure out just how hurt he might be.

Lee dealt with shoulder, knee and leg injuries during his final season with the Trojans, forcing him to miss three and a half games. But whenever he was on the field, Lee insisted he was ready to go, even if he never looked like himself until the Las Vegas Bowl with the benefit of a few weeks to rest and rehab.

"It's hard with Marqise because he is never going to tell you like that," wide receivers coach Tee Martin told College Football 24/7 recently when asked how close to 100 percent Lee was as a junior.

"He told me, 'Coach, if I'm out there, I'm 100 percent.' He went deep. He was able to get open still. He did all the things he would normally do," Martin added.

However, Lee managed just 57 receptions for 791 yards and four touchdowns, a fraction of the production he put up in his first two years at USC.

Even with that downturn, Lee checks in at No. 20 on NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah's list of the top 50 prospects in the 2014 NFL Draft. Lee is also projected to come off the board by the 18th pick in the first round in the first set of mock drafts by NFL Media analysts, with Charles Davis slotting him to the Oakland Raiders at No. 5.

Martin agrees with those favorable assessments, pointing to Lee's overall body of work and dynamic skill set.

"I think the sky is the limit for him, and he is going to take off when he gets to whatever team (drafts him)," Martin said.

Rotoworld:

Wyoming junior QB Brett Smith did not receive an invitation to the NFL Combine, according to Murphy McGuire.

Smith declared for the draft after his junior season, and while some like his mobile style and see talent, the selection committee does not seem to agree. Smith has a bit of a Johnny Manziel-like play style, but not receiving an invitation to the Combine is not a good sign. Obviously many prospects succeed who are not in Indianapolis, although we are surprised by the news.

Source: Murphy McGuire on Twitter
UCF RB Storm Johnson should be selected in the third- or fourth-round, according to former NFL exec Greg Gabriel.

"Johnson has a lot of talent. He just doesn’t have great top-end speed," Gabriel writes. "He will become a steady NFL running back, and I look for him to be an eventual starter in the league." We were surprised by Johnson's excellent vision and open field anticipation when watching him. That is difficult to find in a bigger back.

Source: National Football Post
ESPN Cleveland considers UCF's Blake Bortles the "best fit" for the Browns amongst this year's draft-eligible quarterbacks.

It appears many teams are going to consider Bortles their "best fit" thanks to his size (6-foot-4, 230 pounds) and command of the pocket. Cleveland isn't believed to be one of them, however. GM Mike Lombardi's club has been strongly connected to Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel for months. At this point in the draft process, Bortles resembles a rich man's Jake Locker, but very much appears destined to go in the top 10.

Related: Browns

Source: Tony Grossi on Twitter

Carlos Hyde doesn't have much burst. He sort of lumbers. For his size, he doesn't get as many yards after contact as I'd expect. Although he does has some decent moves, I wouldn't categorize him as an elite runner. But he could still be the best running back in the draft.

In today's NFL, teams need well rounded running half backs who can catch the ball, and pass protect. Out of all the backs I've watched so far, Hyde blocks the best - whether for the pass or the run (yes, he even run blocks).

Not many running backs in this class have show cased any pass catching ability, possibly due to their offenses. But Hyde's pass catching stands out. He looked like a split end with his go ahead TD catch versus Clemson. His decent elusiveness and speed for his size helps him in the open field. He could make a better weapon in the passing game than in the running game.

Hyde probably doesn't have as much upside, but he might have the most assurance in this draft class. As a day one plug-n-play, he probably has the greatest chance to win rookie of the year - depending what team takes him, of course. In todays dynasty landscape, a second year running back coming off a decent season draws a hefty trade.

Carlos Hyde doesn't have much burst. He sort of lumbers. For his size, he doesn't get as many yards after contact as I'd expect. Although he does has some decent moves, I wouldn't categorize him as an elite runner. But he could still be the best running back in the draft.

In today's NFL, teams need well rounded running half backs who can catch the ball, and pass protect. Out of all the backs I've watched so far, Hyde blocks the best - whether for the pass or the run (yes, he even run blocks). Not many running backs in this class have show cased any pass catching ability, possibly due to their offenses. But Hyde's pass catching stands out. He looked like a split end with his go ahead TD catch versus Clemson.

Hyde probably doesn't have as much upside, but he might have the most assurance in this draft class. As a day one plug-n-play, he probably has the greatest chance to win rookie of the year - depending what team takes him, of course.
Very good summary. I don't think Hyde is a special talent, but then again I don't think Lacy and Bell are special talents either.

He's a guy that you can plug in from day one and get serviceable numbers from. Just like Lacy and Bell.

That makes him an attractive commodity in FF as long as you realize that he probably isn't the next LT/Portis/MJD/SJax.

Rotoworld:

LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr. will continue to gain momentum "as scouts get into more late game tape and we approach the combine and pro-day phase of the process," according to Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl.
Weidl thinks Beckham Jr. will test exceedingly well at the combine. "While he still needs polish as a route-runner and has some occasional drops, Beckham's blend of suddenness, acceleration and top-end speed is evident on tape," wrote Weidl. "He brings strong vertical capabilities outside the hashes, and he is dangerous with the ball in his hands after the catch and in the return game." Scouts are beginning to prefer Beckham Jr. over teammate Jarvis Landry, according to Weidl. "Beckham has the speed explosiveness to create big plays outside the hashes and develop into a strong No. 2, ideally as an X receiver," he wrote. "On the flip side, some scouts have expressed concerns about whether Landry can thrive in a No. 2 role because he doesn't have exceptional size to overcome average quickness and top-end speed, which may give him problems consistently creating separation on the outside."

Source: ESPN Insider
Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl believes that LSU junior WR Jarvis Landry is more pro-ready than Odell Beckham Jr.
"Working mainly from the slot, he is an instinctive route-runner and does a nice job of reading coverages on the fly," wrote Weidl. "While he lacks elite quickness and top-end speed, Landry makes up for it with polished routes, and he transitions well out of cuts. Finally, Landry has one of the more natural sets of hands in this class and is fearless working in traffic down the middle of the field." Landry was one of the best receivers in the country at winning in contested situations last season.

Source: ESPN Insider

In today's NFL, teams need well rounded running half backs who can catch the ball, and pass protect. Out of all the backs I've watched so far, Hyde blocks the best - whether for the pass or the run (yes, he even run blocks).

Not many running backs in this class have show cased any pass catching ability, possibly due to their offenses. But Hyde's pass catching stands out. He looked like a split end with his go ahead TD catch versus Clemson. His decent elusiveness and speed for his size helps him in the open field. He could make a better weapon in the passing game than in the running game.

Hyde probably doesn't have as much upside, but he might have the most assurance in this draft class. As a day one plug-n-play, he probably has the greatest chance to win rookie of the year - depending what team takes him, of course. In todays dynasty landscape, a second year running back coming off a decent season draws a hefty trade.
Is there anyone in this class who gets more YAC? He's no Lacy, but from what I've seen he's been similar to Hill & Wilder in traffic and similar to Seastrunk & Carey in space (as long as you cap long runs).

Is there anyone in this class who gets more YAC? He's no Lacy, but from what I've seen he's been similar to Hill & Wilder in traffic and similar to Seastrunk & Carey in space (as long as you cap long runs).
I can't say for sure, but I believe Hyde is the biggest RB the draft. Yet, I'd say he earns similar yards after contact to Tre Mason.

I don't think Hyde gets poor yards after contact, but not as much as I'd want out of a back his size.

Hyde is good in space, but I disagree that he is Seastrunk in this respect.

Honest question: How many games of his have you watched?

Don't get me wrong, Jones is not flashy, nor a blazer, but he has great sideline awareness, runs great routes, and will get drafted late in the third or the 4th at earliest. That's the way it is. He's not going to get drafted high in this loaded wr draft...... But his hands are fine.

Notre Dame is the only team that's on TV up here in Canada on a weekly basis, so I've seen more of him than probably any other prospect. I'd agree his hands are fine, but I wouldn't say they're above average or anything. He was a chronic body catcher before this year where he was able to improve his hands catching and general play by leaps and bounds, but again I still wouldn't say he's got above average hands. As an undersized WR who lacks any elite qualities, Jones is all but a waste of time in fantasy circles imo.

ND in Canada, eh?

Im a Domer fan, but taking the rose colored glasses off......he's not elite. I know that. But guys that run crisp routes and can catch will always find a place on a roster.

My honest comparison is Lance moore. He can be a wr 3 in the right situation. But I do root hard for the kid losing his Dad to I think an aneurism a few years ago.

Speed will be key for Wisconsin's James White at combine

By Mike Huguenin

Wisconsin running back James White had a strong week at the Reese's Senior Bowl, and next up is the scouting combine later this month.

Wisconsin running back coach Thomas Hammock thinks White has a solid pro future. "I think his skill-set will transition well to the next level," White told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Hammock was Denver rookie Montee Ball's position coach at Wisconsin. Ball rushed for 559 yards and four TDs for the Broncos this season.

"James is more of a make-you-miss type of back," Hammock said. "Montee was more power, physical, downhill because he's a little bit bigger. [ball is 5-foot-10 and 215 pounds; White is 5-9 and 206.] But James can help you in the passing game, as well. He can catch it. He can run routes. He has a good understanding of football. Very, very smart football player."

Hammock said he thinks White's all-around game projects well for the NFL but did note that White lacks breakaway speed. White's 40-yard dash time at the combine will be heavily scrutinized.

"He doesn't have elite speed," Hammock said of White. "But there's a lot of backs who haven't been the fastest runners. He just has to be given a good opportunity in a good situation to show what he can do."

White rushed for 1,444 yards this season while sharing time with Melvin Gordon and also had 39 receptions.

"Sometimes, the speed can be blown out of proportion," Hammock said. "He has excellent vision. He has an excellent feel for the game. I think the more opportunities he gets, the better he'll have a chance to perform."

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

Leaning that way myself. Sankey is way at the bottom of my 2nd tier. Ranked about 18-23 on my preliminary list.

Rotoworld:

Tyler Dunne of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel believes that LSU RB Jeremy Hill runs like LaGarrette Blount.

Like Blount, Hill, an early entree into the draft, is a powerful downhill runner. NFL.com's Gil Brant ranked Hill as the No. 26 overall prospect in the class last month, ahead of Arizona's Ka'Deem Carey (36), Auburn's Tre Mason (43) and Ohio State's Carlos Hyde (44). Hill can break tackle beyond the line of scrimmage and has fairly good receiving ability for a huge back. That said, Dunne notes that teams will dig into his past, as Hill was once arrested for simple battery at a bar.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Leaning that way myself. Sankey is way at the bottom of my 2nd tier. Ranked about 18-23 on my preliminary list.
Silva calls Sankey a 'grinder'. I'm not sure what he means by 'grinder; but it wasn't an endorsement.

I disagree. I have him as one of my top running backs - a well rounded player, albeit not flashy. What's the criticism?

Silva calls Sankey a 'grinder'. I'm not sure what he means by 'grinder; but it wasn't an endorsement.

I disagree. I have him as one of my top running backs - a well rounded player, albeit not flashy. What's the criticism?
I don't have any one glaring thing to point to as a huge flaw. There's just a lack of wow factor. He looks like an ordinary talent. There are lots of those in the league. Independent of a great opportunity, they don't have much FF value. No reason why he can't be a 1-2 year stopgap guy, but what is going to separate him from the average replacement level NFL back?

Sankey is good at almost everything, not great at any one thing. He's Forte-like in that regard...another RB EBF didn't care for. It could just be a preference thing.

Sankey is good at almost everything, not great at any one thing. He's Forte-like in that regard...another RB EBF didn't care for. It could just be a preference thing.
Haha, I deserve a prize

I don't have any one glaring thing to point to as a huge flaw. There's just a lack of wow factor. He looks like an ordinary talent. There are lots of those in the league. Independent of a great opportunity, they don't have much FF value. No reason why he can't be a 1-2 year stopgap guy, but what is going to separate him from the average replacement level NFL back?
I guess I can't disagree with your assessment of Sankey, but perhaps we disagree about the rest of the backs in this draft class.

If Sankey isn't a special talent, can you point to another runningback who is?

I guess I can't disagree with your assessment of Sankey, but perhaps we disagree about the rest of the backs in this draft class.

If Sankey isn't a special talent, can you point to another runningback who is?
I don't know if there's a lock first rounder in this RB class, so there may not be a special talent in this class.

My first tier consists of Seastrunk, Hyde, and Hill in some order. I feel like Lache is the most dynamic of those runners whereas the other two are "jack of all trades" types whose overall game sticks out to me a little more than someone like Sankey. Freeman and Mason are similar to the Hyde/Hill description as well. I just rate them slightly lower. They're at the top of my second tier.

In terms of backs with special qualities, I think Andre Williams and KaDeem Carey are a little less generic than those other runners and a little more specialized in the things they do really well. Williams has poor avoidance skills and will need a decent line in front of him, but he packs a wallop and has surprising long speed. In the right system, he could be a fun player. Maybe making an impact somewhat like that of Brandon Jacobs. Nobody will want to tackle him. Carey isn't much of a height/weight/speed athlete, but he can make people miss in tight spaces. So if someone is hoping for a LeSean McCoy type of back to get into space, he would offer some potential for that kind of role.

I am really interested to see how Isaiah Crowell tests/looks at the combine as well as where he gets drafted (if at all). He put up good numbers as a freshman at Georgia, was the #1 HS RB and a 5 star recruit. Ran into trouble, transferred to Alabama State and put up great (as would be expected) numbers there. Even if he is drafted late, he would likely be the most talented RB available drafted after the 3rd/4th range. Anyone have thoughts on Crowell?

I am really interested to see how Isaiah Crowell tests/looks at the combine as well as where he gets drafted (if at all). He put up good numbers as a freshman at Georgia, was the #1 HS RB and a 5 star recruit. Ran into trouble, transferred to Alabama State and put up great (as would be expected) numbers there. Even if he is drafted late, he would likely be the most talented RB available drafted after the 3rd/4th range. Anyone have thoughts on Crowell?
Talented guy. Background reminds me a bit of Bryce Brown. He had a better NCAA career though.

I think he might be a real prospect. I don't think he's the type who will test really well though and it's tough to see him going super high given the Georgia issues and the small school factor. I think the 4th round could be where we see him fall. He's looking like one of the better sleepers out there this year.

Agreed. Not that long ago Crowell was thought to be one of the best RB prospects in college. Not buying that he cant find a role with a team and become a starter in the right situation and if his head stays on straight.

My current RB ranking (previous post here). I'm not very confident about the rankings within tiers:

Probably:

Lache Seastrunk
Carlos Hyde
Jeremy Hill

Maybe:
Devonta Freeman (I'd like to see more of him)
Antonio Andrews
James Wilder, Jr.
Tre Mason
Henry Josey ? (I'd like to see more of him)
Ka'Deem Carey

Charles Sims

Isaiah Crowell ?? (I'd like to see more of him)

Probably not:
James White
Bishop Sankey
Andre Williams
Marion Grice

There is also an asterisk group of RBs who could be a "maybe" if they look good as a receiver and seem to be headed towards the right role:
Dri Archer
De'Anthony Thomas
Robert Godhigh ? (I'd like to see more of him)

At WR, the guys who currently look the best by my numbers are Sammy Watkins, Allen Robinson, Mike Evans, Marqise Lee, Jordan Matthews, and Brandin Cooks.

My current RB ranking (previous post here). I'm not very confident about the rankings within tiers:

Probably:

Lache Seastrunk

Carlos Hyde

Jeremy Hill

At WR, the guys who currently look the best by my numbers are Sammy Watkins, Allen Robinson, Mike Evans, Marqise Lee, Jordan Matthews, and Brandin Cooks.
Interesting that your methodology and mine are landing on a lot of the same names.

I've got the same top 3 RBs. Watkins, Lee, Evans, and Robinson are my four first tier WRs.

Not quite so high on Matthews and Cooks though.

Can you unpackage this for me? Carey and Mason are very high in my Probably category.
The 3 main things I look at are:

1. Size and athleticism. Carey & Mason are both projected to weigh 205-210 and run 4.50-4.55. Seastrunk is bigger & faster, Hyde & Hill are much bigger and just a little slower.

2. Elusiveness (missed/broken tackles & yards after contact). I watch videos and chart this myself, and also look at Greg Peshek's numbers. Hill, Wilder, Hyde, and Seastrunk are the top 4 in my numbers (with Freeman, Josey, and Crowell also showing well in tiny sample sizes). Carey & Mason are a bit farther down, though still pretty good. Peshek hasn't published his year-end numbers yet, but in-season he had Hyde, Gordon, and Seastrunk leading the way with Carey farther back (he hadn't charted Mason).

3. College production. This was closer, but Mason still lagged a bit on stats like percent of carries going for 20+ yards. Here's one interesting stat - rushing first downs plus rushing touchdowns plus 20+ yard carries, divided by number of rushing attempts (note that an 80-yard touchdown run gives a RB 3 points on this metric). Minimum 180 carries, include a player's data from 2013 going back however far will make the player look best. Here is how the RBs on my list compare:

48.1% Carlos Hyde (2013)

48.0% Henry Josey (2011-13)

45.5% James Wilder, Jr. (2012-13)

44.6% Antonio Andrews (2013)

42.2% Lache Seastrunk (2012-13)

42.2% Bishop Sankey (2013)

41.0% Ka'Deem Carey (2012-13)

40.8% Devonta Freeman (2012-13)

40.4% Jeremy Hill (2013)

40.3% James White (2013)

39.1% Tre Mason (2013)

39.1% Marion Grice (2012-13)