What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2014 Draft Prospects (1 Viewer)

I've said all along that if Seastrunk proves he can catch the ball, he's Gio Bernard on steroids (though maybe less effective in the redzone, Gio seems to have a knack for those short-yardage plunges).

But I still don't agree that he should be a riser after the combine. If he is, then a LOT of people aren't doing their jobs--everyone paying attention knows that he's going to absolutely kill the combine. It should already be factored in. It's not going to be a surprise like when Knile Davis did it or even Doug Martin's performance or Christine Michael's.

I've said all along that if Seastrunk proves he can catch the ball, he's Gio Bernard on steroids (though maybe less effective in the redzone, Gio seems to have a knack for those short-yardage plunges).

But I still don't agree that he should be a riser after the combine. If he is, then a LOT of people aren't doing their jobs--everyone paying attention knows that he's going to absolutely kill the combine. It should already be factored in. It's not going to be a surprise like when Knile Davis did it or even Doug Martin's performance or Christine Michael's.
I completely agree with that and I think he'll show he can be a factor in the passing game at the combine and at his pro-day this spring. So he wasn't used as a receiver at Baylor, does that mean he can't catch? Absolutely not. It just wasn't their offensive style. A quick look shows only 5 receptions by RB's last season... Seastrunk had 0 of them, and in 2012 it was about 18 receptions by RB's... Seastrunk had 9 of them. After watching him catch the ball the few times he did in 2012, I feel it's insane misuse of a guy who can absolutely destroy you in the open field. I think teams are going to see the kind of weapon he can be when they see him actually getting the ball thrown at him.

Seastrunk certainly has more physically gift than Gio, but he doesn't share the football sense. Bernard has excellent vision, and gets good yards after contact especially for his size. From what I've seen, Seastrunk is prone to negative runs and gets little to no yards after contact.

I'm not saying Seastrunk can't be good, but I don't think he compares to Gio. He's more like David Wilson in my opinion.

Seastrunk certainly has more physically gift than Gio, but he doesn't share the football sense. Bernard has excellent vision, and gets good yards after contact especially for his size. From what I've seen, Seastrunk is prone to negative runs and gets little to no yards after contact.

I'm not saying Seastrunk can't be good, but I don't think he compares to Gio. He's more like David Wilson in my opinion.
David Wilson is another comparison I've seen and kinda agree with, as prospects--questionable vision/instincts, crazy explosiveness, will destroy the combine and the jumps in a similar way, similar builds, equally questionable pass protection skills/ability.

I've been comparing him to Wilson and CJ Spiller, in terms of NFL projection (what he could be).

Bernard has much better balance, more hip flexibility, and runs more under control. Seastrunk only looks good when he has a full head of steam. He doesn't accelerate very well after he has to make a stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Different position but I think Cooks is the guy who's going to vault up the rankings.
I sure hope not, because I hope he's under the radar; but you may be right.
I wish my drafts were now because I'd be grabbing Cooks in the second round of all of them. I think he'll be more in the 1.08 to 1.11 range by the time things are said and done. Personally, I think he looks a lot like Cobb. He's fast, he's extremely quick and seemed creative with the ball as well.

With a guy his size, I'd like to see him end up with a good OC who will take full advantage of him but he has a lot of potential and if I can get him in the second I'd take him no matter where he lands.

I completely agree with that and I think he'll show he can be a factor in the passing game at the combine and at his pro-day this spring. So he wasn't used as a receiver at Baylor, does that mean he can't catch? Absolutely not. It just wasn't their offensive style. A quick look shows only 5 receptions by RB's last season... Seastrunk had 0 of them, and in 2012 it was about 18 receptions by RB's... Seastrunk had 9 of them. After watching him catch the ball the few times he did in 2012, I feel it's insane misuse of a guy who can absolutely destroy you in the open field. I think teams are going to see the kind of weapon he can be when they see him actually getting the ball thrown at him.
I keep hearing this, but don't understand it. How can you "think he'll show" if he hasn't already? "does that mean he can't catch"? - not necessarily, but on the other hand, what do we see that means he can? I mean zero catches, there's literally no body of work to start with. 9 catches in two years with zero this year, I just don't see how people can make this leap.

Mayock: 18 takeaways on draft prospects entering combine

I highly recommend if you are on Twitter to check out what was posted via the @NFL_CFB account today for the summary from Mayock's conference call.
Edit as they changed it from 11 takeaways to 18 takeaways.

Here is a few more from Twitter:

CollegeFootball 24/7 ‏@NFL_CFB

Mayock: @ClemsonTigers' Sammy Watkins is special player. Usually don't get excited about drafting a WR in top 10. He's different.

Mayock: @NDFootball's Troy Niklas could be best blocking TE in @nfl in a few years. Likely a 2nd-round pick.

Mayock: One of my favorite players in draft is LSU's Jarvis Landry. Reminds me a little bit of Hines Ward.

Mayock: Colt Lyerla a 1st- or 2nd-round talent. Would guess, because of character concerns, he'll get picked on 3rd day of draft.

Mayock: If Carlos Hyde goes in 1st round, won't surprise me. With RB position being devalued, he probably goes in 2nd.

I keep hearing this, but don't understand it. How can you "think he'll show" if he hasn't already? "does that mean he can't catch"? - not necessarily, but on the other hand, what do we see that means he can? I mean zero catches, there's literally no body of work to start with. 9 catches in two years with zero this year, I just don't see how people can make this leap.
It's not unheard of for backs to not do much in the passing game in college and show up in the NFL and do well as receivers. Charles never caught more than 20 passes at Texas. Lacy's high was 22 receptions in 2012 after only 11 in 2011. Frank Gore's high at Miami was 12...

Baylor doesn't pass the ball to running backs, it doesn't mean they can't catch the ball. If you watch the receptions he did have in 2012, you can see what he can do in the passing game IMO.

It's not unheard of for backs to not do much in the passing game in college and show up in the NFL and do well as receivers. Charles never caught more than 20 passes at Texas. Lacy's high was 22 receptions in 2012 after only 11 in 2011. Frank Gore's high at Miami was 12...
Well of course. But that's got to be more of a nice surprise, rather than expected no? Shonn Greene also was a terrible receiver in college, and that has continued. Alfred Morris, Legarratte Blount, Steven Ridley - plenty of guys that didn't do much receiving in college and didn't make any big leap at the NFL level either. Why isn't Seastrunk one of these guys? What makes him Gore instead of Blount? What have people seen that leads them to think such a change will happen?

When someone tells me to look for something we've never seen before, it's usually based on some fact or observation. "Hey, this kid Alfred Morris is exactly the perfect fit for Shanahan's system, and we've seen how Shanny will ride them hard once he gets that fit - Anderson/Portis/TD/Gary" or "Hey, Moreno is going to surprise because he's healthy finally and Fox and Manning finally trust him in pass pro" - something substantial. I'm asking what the substance in here on Seastrunk. Because I'm very high on his running skill set, but to me the passing game is just a huge blank screen and that makes him a total crapshoot at best.

Baylor doesn't pass the ball to running backs, it doesn't mean they can't catch the ball. If you watch the receptions he did have in 2012, you can see what he can do in the passing game IMO.
But what means they can? 9 catches over 2 years is enough body of work to make people "think" they will be successful? I'm not being confrontational, I really want to understand why? If people are watching their practices, or the spring game (I've been to many where I see glimpses that eventually pan out), or maybe referring to something else they've seen, fine. But the whole "doesn't mean he can't" doesn't hold water.

But what means they can? 9 catches over 2 years is enough body of work to make people "think" they will be successful? I'm not being confrontational, I really want to understand why? If people are watching their practices, or the spring game (I've been to many where I see glimpses that eventually pan out), or maybe referring to something else they've seen, fine. But the whole "doesn't mean he can't" doesn't hold water.
I think he can be successful because when I go back and watch him catch the ball, I see someone who can catch but never got any targets. There's one game that you can actually see him make a few catches, nice catches. And that's the 2012 game against Kansas. I look at this game and I see a guy who can catch the ball and make things happen. Sure it's a tiny, itty bitty sample, but it's enough for me and it's all we've got.

I swear I previously found a cutup of just Seastrunk during this game, but this is all I can find right now.

You can see 2 catches, one nice gainer at 0:25 and the TD catch is at 0:50 and is a thing of beauty.

ETA: Forgot the video ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAPoRHY_koA

I think he can be successful because when I go back and watch him catch the ball, I see someone who can catch but never got any targets. There's one game that you can actually see him make a few catches, nice catches. And that's the 2012 game against Kansas. I look at this game and I see a guy who can catch the ball and make things happen. Sure it's a tiny, itty bitty sample, but it's enough for me and it's all we've got.

I swear I previously found a cutup of just Seastrunk during this game, but this is all I can find right now.

You can see 2 catches, one nice gainer at 0:25 and the TD catch is at 0:50 and is a thing of beauty.

Ok now we're stating to get somewhere. Only two, so the body of work is still very slim, but at least there's something to start with. Both were nice catches as he kept his hips upfield and he was able to rotate and still make clean hand catches. This is the kind of explanation and visual evidence that has been lacking from everyone talking about him. I'm lived in Missouri far too long, so this whole "I think he can" business doesn't fly there. You gotta show me!

Interesting to see Stephen Houston that high. Are there any complete game videos of him on the internet? From the numbers out there, it looks like he has pretty good college stats, good size, and bad speed.
Here he is vs Ohio State 2012:

I have to say this guy was not even close to being on my radar (and I watch a lot of Big 10). His highlights have me intrigued. He looks to have a nice size/speed combo. His stats are not impressive (besides his 12 TD year), but then again Indiana probably does not have a o-line full of Orlando Pace's....

Thanks for bringing him to my attention Xue. You may be a little too high on him??? But then again - maybe not - he looks to have some talent.

I'm interested as to why you left Kapri Bibbs/Storm Johnson off of your list?

Wait... how many guys can wear the same number in college ball? I know Seastrunk is number #25... but then at 1:49 there is another player on Baylor with #25 but his name is Hill or something. WTF

bonesman said:
werdnoynek said:
Hankmoody said:

Wait... how many guys can wear the same number in college ball? I know Seastrunk is number #25... but then at 1:49 there is another player on Baylor with #25 but his name is Hill or something. WTF
Two. One listed position on offense and defense. It is penalty if they are on the field at the same time (even on special teams).

Rotoworld:

Fresno State QB Derek Carr will not throw at the NFL Combine, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

If memory serves us correctly, this is the same path that Derek's older brother took. Carr will throw at Fresno State's pro day. He joins Johnny Manziel as two quarterbacks who will not be participating in this aspect of the Combine, but more could add their name to the list.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Kent State OW Dri Archer is aiming for the Combine forty record.

"Yes sir -- Chris Johnson ran 4.24 in 2008," Archer told Fox Sports' Zac Jackson. "That's what I've been looking at, what I've been training for. It's definitely in my goals, and I think it can be done." Archer had a disappointing season due to a multitude of injuries, but his 2012 showed explosion and big play ability.

Source: Fox Sports
CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes Texas A&M WR Mike Evans has a lot to gain during his time at the NFL Combine.

"Evans is most dangerous when he can box out defenders and use his strong hands to highpoint and come down with tough grabs in traffic," Brugler writes. "A 40-yard dash in the 4.52-4.58 range would just be icing on the cake." Some are predicting that Evans runs in the 4.6s or 4.7s, but Rotoworld's Josh Norris would not be shocked by a low 4.5. Evans' yards after catch ability is underrated.

Source: CBS Sports

Baylor's Lache Seastrunk believes he can run a sub-4.3 in 40

By Mike Huguenin

College Football 24/7 writer

Tailback Lache Seastrunk is the only player in Baylor history with two 1,000-yard seasons, and he has his sights set on even more rarefied air at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Interviewed on Fox Sports 1 on Tuesday, Seastrunk said he believes the can run a sub-4.3 40-yard dash.

"My focal concern is the 40," Seastrunk said. "I set a goal in my head to run below a 4.3, and that's my goal to keep striving for. I know I can do it. It's within reach.

"There's not a lot of running backs that's my size that's running below a 4.3. That's outstanding. That's unreal."

Indeed, it would be unreal. It also seems unrealistic.

Research from nfl.com/combine/top-performers shows that just 11 prospects have run faster than a 4.3 since electronic timing was introduced at the combine in 1999 (Bo Jackson reportedly ran a 4.12 in 1988, but hand-timed clockings are to be taken with a few hundred truckloads of salt). The fastest since 1999: 4.24, by East Carolina running back Chris Johnson in 2008 and by Eastern Kentucky wide receiver Rondel Menendez in 1999.

Seastrunk (5-foot-10, 210 pounds) would be the first 200-pounder since '99 to break 4.3 seconds.

In 2013, Seastrunk led Baylor with 1,177 yards rushing and added 11 rushing touchdowns; he shared carries because the Bears used a three-tailback system. Seastrunk, who has been clocked at sub-4.4 in the 40, battled through a groin injury in 2013, missing two games and being hampered in another.

He began his career at Oregon before transferring to Baylor to be closer to his hometown of Temple, Texas.

Seastrunk's speed and elusiveness make him a big-play threat, but he frequently is guilty of trying to look for the big play rather than just taking what he can get. He has good balance and can stop and start quickly, but some scouts question his vision and patience. His receiving ability is a concern (he had zero receptions in 2013 after just nine in '12), and his blocking is a question, too. In addition, his production lagged as the 2013 season progressed and Baylor played tougher foes; he had eight touchdowns in the first four games but just three the rest of the way.

Still, being the fastest running back in the draft is worth something, and given the jumbled nature of the draft rankings at the position, he definitely has a shot at being one of the first three or four backs off the board.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

Twitter:

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock

Combine week & everyone wants to know about freakish 40 times. Come Sunday, Martavis Bryant, 6'5 Clemson WR will get a lot of attention.

Rotoworld:

Colorado WR Paul Richardson "should produce one of the best [40-yard dash] times at the combine," writes NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah.

Richardson was a track star in high school, and evaluators anticipate that he'll put on a show in quickness drills. "Though he has a very thin build, Richardson is an explosive athlete who bursts off the line of scrimmage in his release and can find another gear once the ball is in the air," wrote Jeremiah. "He has been compared to Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson, who has a similar frame and explosiveness. I don't think Richardson is quite as polished as Jackson as a route-runner, but I do believe he can match Jackson's top speed." Richardson's slender frame (6-foot-1, 170 pounds) and durability both detract from his stock, but we love his aforementioned home run speed and big-play ability.

Source: NFL.com
Oregon RB/WR De'Anthony Thomas employs "legitimate track speed," according to NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah.

The burner averaged 7.8 yards per carry with the Ducks and collected four touchdowns on kick returns. Thomas competed on the Oregon track team and ran the fastest 200 meter time (20.61 seconds) by a high school athlete in 2010. "It wouldn't surprise anyone in the scouting community if Thomas ended up posting the fastest time in Indy," wrote Jeremiah.

Brandin Cooks set the Oregon State record with a 6.81 second 60-meter dash in 2012.

"His suddenness was easy to spot when I studied him on tape," wrote NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah. "Everyone in Corvallis, Ore., has told NFL scouts that Cooks is going to test much better than former Beavers receiver Markus Wheaton, who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.45 seconds at last year's combine before being drafted in the third round by the Pittsburgh Steelers. I think Cooks has a legitimate shot at running a sub-4.40 40." That type of speed and playmaking ability has drawn Cooks comparisons to both Victor Cruz and Steve Smith. Cooks, the 2013 Biletnikoff Award winner as the nation's most outstanding wide receiver, could slot into the latter portion of the first round.

Kent State OW Dri Archer was "one of the most explosive players in the country" when healthy, according to NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah.

Archer's injury-plagued 2013 campaign hurt his draft stock (he ran for 1,429 yards during his junior season and fell to 527 in 2013), but scouts haven't forgotten about him. Archer is one of the few players that could realistically win the 40-yard dash competition at this year's NFL Scouting Combine. Archer beat former Michigan quarterback and current Jacksonville Jaguars running back Denard Robinson in the 100-meter final of the Florida high school state track meet; Robinson ran a 4.43 40-yard dash at last year's combine. Archer said this week that his goal is to break Chris Johnson's combine record of a 4.24-second 40-yard time, set at the 2008 combine.

NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah believes Oklahoma State's Justin Gilbert could log the fastest 40-yard dash time at the NFL's combine.

Jeremiah polled scouts and executives about the fastest prospects in the draft, and he passes along that Gilbert's name was mentioned most often. "He's a very big cornerback, checking in at 6-foot, 200 pounds -- and still, it's easy to notice his breakaway speed in the return game and his make-up speed in coverage," wrote Jeremiah. "To use a scouting term, Gilbert has 'easy speed.' He doesn't labor when he runs and he picks up ground in a hurry. He's expected to run in the mid-to-low 4.3s." Gilbert led the Big 12 with six interceptions in 2013. He's projected to go in the first round of May's draft.

I don't see much Victor Cruz in Brandin Cooks. Cruz is 5'11"+ 206 pounds.

I would not be surprised to see Cooks around 5'8"-5'9" 180-185 pounds. That wouldn't be too far off Smith's measurements.

I feel like Smith plays a little bit bigger/stronger/meaner. Cooks might be somewhere between Tavon and Smith from a build/style standpoint.

Smith in his prime was way more physical than Cooks. I've seen tape where Cooks gets pushed around/roughed up a little. You couldn't do that to Smith.

Posted this before:

Brandin Cooks says he should run in the 4.3 range in the 40

By Mike Huguenin

Oregon State wide receiver Brandin Cooks, who led the nation with 1,730 receiving yards in 2013, is looking to run the 40-yard dash in about 4.3 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Cooks, who has been compared with Carolina Panthers star receiver Steve Smith, also said he should measure in at around 5-foot-10 at the combine.

"I know I'll measure in at 5-10," Cooks told The Charlotte Observer. "We're going to find out in a week and some change."

Cooks, who set a Pac-12 single-season record with 128 receptions in '13, said he played this season at 184 pounds. Smith is 5-9 and 185 pounds.

"I know a lot about Steve Smith. That's one of the guys I actually model my game after," said Cooks, who is training in San Diego for the combine.

Cooks said the Smith comparisons go beyond size.

"He's not scared to do anything," Cooks said. "He's not scared to go over the middle. ... That's how I like to see myself, too -- a fearless receiver who's not afraid to do those things."

If Cooks does runs the 40 in the 4.3 range, he will be among the fastest wide receivers. Clemson's Sammy Watkins and Wyoming's Robert Herron also are expected to turn in times in that range.

Cooks is considered one of the top 12 receivers available, but he is the shortest of the group. The only other receiver in the top dozen shorter than 6-0 is LSU's Odell Beckham Jr., who is listed at 5-11 and outweighs Cooks by almost 10 pounds.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

I would not be surprised to see Cooks around 5'8"-5'9" 180-185 pounds. That wouldn't be too far off Smith's measurements.

I feel like Smith plays a little bit bigger/stronger/meaner. Cooks might be somewhere between Tavon and Smith from a build/style standpoint.
Robert Herron is closer to Smith. We already know his measurement: 5'9" 193. That is stocky as heck for a WR. Thicker than Cooks.

Cooks is a mix of Antonio Brown and TY Hilton. He's won't be close to 5'8". He'll measure around 5'9.5".

Regardless, Cooks plays bigger than most guys his height. It's not like he's Emmanuel Sanders or Aldrick Robinson. Trust the tape.

Cooks will need an accurate passer to thrive. All the speed in the world + being tiny won't get him anywhere as a top flight WR without a QB that can get him the ball.

I also like the Hill comparison. Not in the sense he'd doomed to fail, just in the sense that he's a raw, high-risk prospect with a ton of tools and a great showing in limited action. Definitely a swing for the fences play, but some of those do pan out.

2014 Combine: Clowney leads Top 64 prospects

By Frank Cooney | NFLDraftScout.com

February 19, 2014 8:15 pm ET

INDIANAPOLIS -- Infused with a record 102 underclassmen, the 2014 NFL Draft is one of the strongest classes this century.

That will certainly play into heightened competitiveness as 335 draft prospects parade their abilities for coaches and scouts here this week at the NFL Combine.

Here is a closer look at the top 64 players, as rated by NFLDrafScout.com heading into the Combine:

Rank/Player/Position/School/Height/Weight/40 time/Proj. Round

1. *Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina, 6-5, 274, 4.56, 1First, think Randy Moss. Enough natural athletic ability to be the best, but there are questions about if, when and how hard he will work. Next, think Jevon Kearse -- physically freakish combination of size, speed, explosion, agility. Clowney predicts he will blur through 40 yards in 4.4 seconds, ala Kearse (4.42). College career marred by obvious spells of fatigue from poor conditioning and battled a foot injury throughout last season that should be monitored.

2. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M, 6-5, 305, 5.08, 1The latest NFL prospect from the famous Matthews gene pool, Jake is the son of 19-year veteran Hall of Famer Bruce (Houston, Tennessee) and looks it. He doesn't have the quick-footed agility of former teammate Luke Joeckel, the No. 2 overall pick last year (Jacksonville), but, like dad, is more of an enforcer who can consume defenders. Moved from right to left tackle last season to protect QB Johnny Manziel's blind side and proved he is NFL ready.

3. *Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville, 6-2, 205, 4.67, 1His impressive production, passing accuracy and leadership abilities helped rate him as top QB prospect by NFLDdraftScout.com analysts, but there are a few concerns. His frame seems slight and even if he bulks up, durability might be an issue as he lacks that innate feel and smooth athleticism to move in and out of pocket. But, then, that might describe Tom Brady. A low release point -- from ear height -- may become an issue against taller, athletic defensive fronts.

4. *Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn, 6-5, 320, 4.98, 1Not a finished product, he has the physical, mental and emotional ability to be one of the NFL's best. Was not challenged to learn pro-type techniques in simplified Auburn offense, but raw ability was obvious in this quiet, respected team leader. Overcame rough, financially challenged upbringing in family disrupted by Hurricane Katrina. Father died in 2012, grandmother remains dominant figure.

5. *Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida, 6-3, 230, 4.78, 1Of NFLDraftScout.com's trio of top 2014 quarterbacks, Bortles is the only one with no size concerns. Still, he doesn't have a truly powerful arm, but can make every throw necessary, if you allow for that occasional wobbler. Teammates respond to his natural, crunch-time, tough-guy, take-charge leadership. Smooth athlete who moves well, scans field, identifies secondary targets and maintains excellent geometric technique to maximize accuracy, velocity. Work ethic reflected in film study that often pushed curfew boundaries.

6. *Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson, 6-1, 205, 4.47, 1Not only has elite, explosive speed but deceives and dupes defenders with ability to shift gears and direction faster than a NASCAR driver faced with an 11-car pileup. That makes him dangerous after the catch and as a returner. Closed his Clemson career 16 catches, 227 yards, two scores in Orange Bowl. Must hold up to physical defenders at next level.

7. *Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M, 6-0, 210, 4.45, 1One of the most dynamic performers in college football history must now prove he can continue his magic in a league even tougher than the SEC, where in only two years he collected 9,989 total yards (7,,820 passing, 2,169 rushing), 93 touchdowns (63 passing, 30 running) and a Heisman Trophy (first freshman winner, 2012). He maintains flamboyant, spontaneous, vociferous style on and off the field, which concerns some who question his focus. But that's the package, which now includes his unpopular decision not to throw at combine. Otherwise, he has amazing football instincts, and an adequate arm with great accuracy. Can he produce in the NFL? The honest answer is, for now, nobody really knows. Some team must roll the dice to find out.

8. Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo, 6-3, 248, 4.64, 1Huge fish in smallish college pond with excellent combination of strength and speed that created consistent production as he set school records for sacks (28.5), tackles for loss (75) and forced fumbles (16). Played hybrid linebacker role in a 3-4 scheme, lining up with his hand on the ground and also standing up off the edge. Aggressive to the point of abrasive and sometimes irritated his own teammates.

9. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan, 6-7, 315, 5.09, 1Pronounced Luh-wan, this mass of might is a tough, tenacious run blocker who is still learning about being a pass blocker, but has great upside. A defensive lineman until his senior year in high school, Lewan played 50 games at left tackle (48 as starter) for Michigan, but is just beginning to blossom and was sometimes reminiscent of former Wolverine star Jake Long.

10. Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA, 6-4, 248, 4.48, 1Former prep running back fancied himself a dynamic Ricky Watters-type and wanted to play offense for Bruins. Originally lined up as H-back, but when coach Jim Mora asked him to try defense in 2012, Barr's future as a pro became immediately obvious. Hard-working team leader has respect of teammates, coaches and even opponents, who cannot ignore his ability to blow up plays all over the field with his speed and agility.

11. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State, 5-11, 197, 4.52, 1After injury-marred 2012 season (sports hernia required two surgeries), Dennard exploded in 2013 to demoralize several offenses and win numerous awards, including the Jim Thorpe, Tatum-Woodson, and first-team All-America. Tough, plays with pain, but has history of injuries dating back to 2010 that could concern teams (sports hernia, shoulder, ankle, knee). Prepares hard and plays harder and excels at press-and-run.

12. Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame, 6-4, 305, 5.22, 1Some teams may see Martin as a guard prospect because although he is obviously a talented offensive lineman, he is a bit short for a left tackle and perhaps not powerful enough for a right tackle. Still, he made a case for himself at tackle with a good showing in the Senior Bowl workouts and regardless of where he eventually lines up, teams agree that he has ample talent to be an outstanding starter somewhere up front.

13. *Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M, 6-5, 225, 4.58, 1Like his college battery-mate, quarterback Johnny Manziel, Evans has not convinced everybody his talent and production can be sustained at the next level. His big body, long-striding style and strong hands worked well in college, but he must learn to create more separation in the NFL, where his size won't give him that much of an advantage and his route running will need to be more precise.

14. *Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina, 6-4, 245, 4.67, 1He is talented but still unpolished even after setting school tight end single season records last year for receptions (62), receiving yards (973) as well as career receptions (112) and career receiving yards (1,805). A former prep and early college defensive end, Ebron has the ability to create size/speed mismatches as a receiver. If he bulks up he can be even more effective and aggressive in his overall game.

15. *Marqise Lee, WR, Southern Cal, 6-0, 195, 4.49, 1As a freshman phenom in 2011, Lee put his amazing athletic skills on display and looked the part of a top three pick destined for future Heisman discussions. He is an elite athlete who could do it all, and maybe still can. But with less complementary talent and a myriad of physical maladies, his last two years were less spectacular. Still, this is a tough kid from a tougher background filled with gangs, killings (brother was murdered) and family challenges (father is deaf). He never complained, just used his skills as a ticket out. And now it is time to get that ticket punched.

16. C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama, 6-2, 232, 4.65, 1Leader of the Crimson Tide's suffocating defense, Mosley is highly regarded in the scouting community and could end up as a top 10 pick in May. Says NFLDraftScout.com senior analyst Rob Rang: "Tough and athletic, with the keenest instincts of any linebacker I've scouted since Lofa Tatupu, Mosley is constantly around the ball and is often making big plays as a result. "

17. *Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri, 6-5, 275, 4.77, 1Former high school standout as tight end and defensive end and was a Missouri all-state basketball player. All that athleticism is conspicuous in his overall play, including burst off the line, quick spin moves and closing speed on whoever has the ball. Will need to improve arm and hand strength to be able to disengage big blockers at the next level.

18. *Louis Nix III, DT, Notre Dame, 6-2, 345, 5.17, 1Brick-strong body with nimble feet, Nix came off a solid 2012 season overweight entering 2013 and missed two games with knee tendinitis that should be monitored. He eventually played well enough to boost previous (2012) fourth-round draft projections up to first round. Plays with a high-rev motor that he needs to control to last four quarters, but is a highly coachable player and great teammate.

19. *Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama, 6-1, 208, 4.54, 1Rated as one of the top two safeties coming out of high school, Dix lived up to his prep rep in coverage but comes up short in the physicality department. His instincts and ability to diagnose seem better than his athletic ability, which still is good enough to get him involved in more than his share of plays. Given name is Ha'Sean, but his grandmother gave him the unusual name he goes by.

20. Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State, 6-0, 200, 4.52, 1Texas prep sensation as quarterback, defensive back, returner, track star, basketball player, Gilbert's overall athleticism continues to be his best asset. However, he must show he is willing to maintain high level of play after admittedly becoming complacent in 2012 after a great 2011 season. He stood out again in 2013 with six interceptions, including two for touchdowns, and a 100-yard kickoff return.

21, Dee Ford, DE, Auburn, 6-2, 243, 4.67, 1Always respected by coaches and teammates, Ford finally became an obvious force to the rest of football in 2013 as an undersized edge rusher, finishing the regular season with 12.5 tackles for loss, including 8.5 sacks. He is a fluid athlete with impressive burst, agility and underrated strength.

22. Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh, 6-1, 288, 4.93, 1Donald was the most dominant and decorated defensive college football player in 2013 after totaling 59 tackles, including 28.5 for a loss, 11 sacks, 16 QB hurries, four forced fumbles and a blocked extra point. Per NFLDraftScout.com, he was an unblockable force from his defensive tackle position despite an array of schemes designed to slow him down. He was the the first Pitt defensive player to be a unanimous All-America selection since legendary defensive end Hugh Green in 1980.

23. *Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State, 6-2, 298, 4.98, 1Oft-used reserve started only two games before 2013, when he got more opportunity to show he can use his bullish strength to take on double teams and be disruptive inside. Jernigan must improve at shedding blockers to make an impact in the NFL. He works hard to learn the game. Maturity was questioned after making some questionable remarks on Twitter.

24. *Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama, 6-5, 310, 5.12, 1Kouandjio is a native of Cameroon who moved to U.S. when he was a child who honed his athleticism playing soccer. Alabama coaches believe he can be better than former linemate D.J. Fluker, an overall No. 11 pick. These are the same coaches who moved proven Barrett Jones inside to center after he had earned All-SEC honors at left tackle in 2011. That allowed Kouandjio to excel at left tackle spot the last two seasons.

25. *Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State, 6-5, 235, 4.54, 1Great size, speed and overall ability, but Benjamin needs to measure up in other ways. Average quickness hurts his ability to get separation, but he does have a knack at getting to the ball in tight coverage. Still, he doesn't consistently use his hands and allows too many balls to get to his body and drops more passes than he should. Showed immaturity and bad habits as a freshman, but work ethic has improved and he is a long ways from a sure thing.

26. Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota, 6-6, 318, 4.89, 1-2Former prep standout as tight end and basketball player, moved to the defensive line during his redshirt freshman season and literally grew into the position. He has it all and then some, with a combination of brute force and quick feet that has drawn comparisons to J.J. Watt, the 2012 NFL Defensive Player of the Year (Houston Texans).

27. *Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU, 5-11, 193, 4.49, 1-2Great genetics are obvious for Beckham, whose father was a running back at LSU and mother, the former Heather Van Norman, was a six-time All-American Track and national champion sprinter for the Lady Tigers. Little wonder that Beckham is smooth afoot and an explosive return man. However he lacks truly elite speed and is less than average in height. Last season he caught 59 passes for 1,152 yards and eight touchdowns and returned punts.

28. *Calvin Pryor, FS, Louisville, 6-2, 208, 4.57, 1-2Pryor teamed with Hakeem Smith to create perhaps the best safety tandem in the country for 2013. Pryor was a hard-hitting junior who d compiled 69 tackles, 5.5 for a loss, three interceptions and two forced fumbles. In conference play, Pryor ranked 16th in tackles for all positions with 50, or 7.1 per game.

29. Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State, 6-2, 215, 4.78, 1-2The brother of former No. 1 overall pick David Carr (Houston, 2002), but wears No. 4 in honor of Brett Favre, whose never-quit attitude he admires. Like his brother, Derek an NFL-caliber arm, although not quite as strong as Favre's. Has better overall athleticism than either of them. In 2013 led the nation in total offense (4,983), total passing yards (4,866), passing yards per game (405.5), passing touchdowns (48) completions per game (35.33), touchdowns responsible for (50), total points responsible for (302) and points responsible for per game (25.2).

30. *Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech, 6-5, 260, 4.67, 1-2A big, fluid athlete, Amaro lined up mostly in the slot and used his thick body to gain position in coverage and used his large, soft hands to attack the ball in the air. He is a balanced route-runner and dangerous after the catch, even if defenders get both hands on him. He set NCAA record for single-season receiving yards by a tight end (1,352) and single-season receiving yards/game by a tight end (104.0).

31. *David Yankey, OG, Stanford, 6-5, 314, 5.08, 1-2A late bloomer on the offensive line, Yankey, born in Australia, weighed only 240-pounds as a junior in high school and worked hard to put on the needed weight. He was the first true freshman offensive lineman to see action for Stanford since 2000, but was lost for the season due to injury. Yankey returned and started all but one game the past three seasons (40 starts) at left guard and left tackle. Yankey has great footwork, natural power and great work ethic.

32. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU, 5-10, 176, 4.49, 1-2Still improving skills at corner after starring as running back and defensive back in high school, then stopping in junior college before joining TCU in 2012. Looks naturally fluid with smooth transition on flip and has the right approach mentally as an intimidator and physically as a tough guy. Selected first team All-America on several lists, second team by Associated Press. Allowed LSU's nifty Odell Beckham Jr. (27th on this list) only one catch.

33. *Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State, 6-2, 230, 4.58, 1-2Former prep sensation as defensive end, played both inside and outside linebacker for Buckeyes and is the ultimate team-first player. Rangy athlete with explosive first step and stunning closing burst. His 101 tackles in 2013 ranks behind only Tom Cousineau (142), Chris Spielman (105).

34. *Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State, 6-3, 210, 4.54, 1-2Fluid athlete for his size with room to get stronger. Deceptive acceleration with sharp cuts to be a dangerous catch-and-go pass catcher. Physical ballcarrier with balance and body strength to shake off defenders and pick up chunks of yards after contact. Has shown return ability. Reset his own school mark in 2012 with 97 catches for 1,432 yards. His combined 174 receptions and 2,445 receiving yards the past two years both rank No. 3 in Big Ten history for consecutive seasons.

35. Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia, 6-6, 325, 5.28, 1-2Naturally large -- sometimes too much so -- man with nimble feet and good overall strength. Has looked adept at playing either side. Enrolled at 350-plus pounds and will be one of those players who constantly fights against gaining weight.

36. *Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA, 6-3, 305, 5.18, 1-2Work ethic was obvious early in life when he became an Eagle Scout and has already completed his two-year Mormon missionary work. Su'a is the most pro-ready player on UCLA's talented offensive line. A veteran of 38 career starts. Powerfully-built to handle bull rushes but has lateral agility and balance as a pass blocker.

37. *Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State, 5-10, 186, 4.49, 1-2Stockton, California's Sonic Boom has been an explosive sprinter and football player since high school. Lacks ideal size, but is a tough character who never missed a game at any level. Put the ball in his hands and enjoy his dazzling showmanship. Won the Biletnikoff Award in 2013 after leading the FBS with 1,670 yards receiving in the regular season.

38. Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU, 6-3, 244, 4.68, 1-2Instinctive linebacker with excellent reaction skills. Athletic enough in coverage, locates the ball quickly and provides good effort in pursuit. Impressed at the Senior Bowl with his fluidity in coverage by closing quickly to bat away multiple passes during practices. Must get stronger to cope with NFL blockers.

39. *Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida, 6-0, 195, 4.52, 1-2Physical, fearless in coverage, aggressive in pursuit and plays with attitude. He must work to refine his, well, hands-on work downfield and learn to work in space. A product of prep powerhouse St. Thomas Aquinas' (15-0 his senior year), but had his initial college season cut short with a neck injury (2011) and last year missed several games with a knee injury and was suspended for one game for violating team rules.

40. *Stephon Tuitt, DT, Notre Dame, 6-6, 312, 4.92, 1-2Intriguing prospect who has plenty of natural ability but has the attitude of an under-equipped overachiever, possibly the result of strict upbringing by mother, Tamar Bartlett, a deputy sheriff who demanded discipline. Last year he had six of his career 20 sacks after starting slowly. An interception last year and previous 77-yard fumble return TD reflect background as prep tight end.

41.*Ka'Deem Carey, RB, Arizona, 5-10, 207, 4.53, 2More determined than deceptive, Carey led the nation with 1,929 rushing yards in 2012, then came back bigger and stronger last year to push his streak of 100-yards rushing to 16 games, the most for any FBS player in ten years. Averaged 157.1 yards a game at 5.4 a carry in 2013. Strength is his strength, along with excellent vision and the ability to make blink-quick cuts. Lacks elite straight-line speed, but never runs a straight line anyway.

42. *Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State, 6-3, 265, 4.73, 2Take-charge team player who leads verbally and by example. He started 37 of the 38 games in which he played for Beavers and finished career with 165 tackles, 51 for a loss, and 22.5 sacks. Has good core strength, decent leverage, powerful hands and should be a DLE in an NFL 4-3 setup.

43. Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford, 6-6, 252, 4.82, 2On-field play reflects off-field hobby -- steer wrestling. Murphy is country strong with great leverage and powerful hands that can hogtie or throw aside anything in reach. But, absent a lasso, he needs faster giddy up in his get along. Impactful starter since 2011 and respected leader on a team of leaders. Missed final 10 games in 2010 with unknown leg injury. Maybe a steer kicked him.

44. *Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State, 5-11, 192, 4.39, 2After redshirting the 2010 season as a true freshman, Roby started all 13 games at cornerback in 2011 and quickly flashed his world class speed while leading team with three interceptions. He sat out 2013 opener (suspension after arrest for battery in bar fight) and shook off a so-so start to register a good season. Had more than his share of bothersome injuries the last two years.

45. *Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington, 6-6, 276, 4.75, 2Mackey Award winner as top college tight end, AS-J is a massive target and goes after the ball with excellent body control. Although not as physically dominant as his size suggests, especially as blocker, he becomes an imposing runner with ball in his hand. Convicted of DUI after single car accident last March, was suspended one game and dedicated time talking to groups about drinking and driving.

46. Trevor Reilly, OLB, Utah, 6-5, 255, 4.67, 2As mature and responsible as you might expect of a 26-year old married man with two children, an Eagle Scout badge and a resume that includes a two-year Mormon Mission in Sweden. He was Utah's best player last season, leading the team in tackles (100), tackles for loss (16), sacks (8.5) and fumble recoveries (3). Versatile athlete with strength, agility and know-how to fit in either 3-4 or 4-3. Missed all-star games due to minor cleanout on right knee (had ACL surgery in 2012).

47. Lamarcus Joyner, CB, Florida State, 5-8, 190, 4.52, 2NFLDraftScout.com says NFL teams will be hard-pressed to find a better inch-for-inch defender in the country, but the fact is he is only 5-foot-8. This tough, versatile, instinctive defender played strong safety in 2011 and earned second-team All-ACC honors there. Joyner started all 14 games as a junior, giving him 27 consecutive starts at safety before moving back to cornerback. Excellent return skills.

48. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt, 6-3, 209, 4.55, 2Cousin of the legendary Jerry Rice, Matthews is a better football player than he is an athlete. He led the SEC with a gaudy 19.0 yards-per-catch average last season with above average speed that is more deceptive than sudden. Good size allows team to find him favorable matchups. Career totals: SEC's all-time leader with 262 receptions and 3,759 receiving yards.

49. Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State, 6-4, 339, 5.34, 2Three-year starter and the son of a high school coach has more than enough size, strength, ability to be a top-notch player. The concern is that he doesn't play at that high level consistently. Has tantalizing balance of overall power, agility and great feet, but sometimes misses things he should pick up, which could be dangerous for NFL quarterbacks.

50. *Tre Mason, RB, Auburn, 5-9, 205, 4.52, 2Runs bigger than he measures, using quick feet and a one-cut-and-go approach. Lacks OMG speed, but is fast enough to be all-the-way threat on most plays. Mason leaves Auburn after rushing for more than a 1,000 yards each of the past two seasons, including his 1,816 yards in 2013, a mark that broke Jackson's record of 1,786 yards set in 1983.

51. Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas, 6-4, 250, 4.78, 2Still seems to show more potential than production, but is attractive because he has the athleticism to play with his hand on the ground or stand up and drop into coverage. Was sidelined by severely sprained ankle in 2010 and then a torn pectoral muscle in 2012 for which he had surgery. His father, Jim, was a standout defensive lineman for the Dallas Cowboys (1983-94) and Buffalo Bills (1995-97) and has served as the defensive line coach at the University of Houston and Colorado.

52. Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas, 6-5, 310, 5.26, 2Lacks ideal speed, but Swanson has the athleticism to pull in running game and seal off defenders when blocking straight ahead. Solid making line calls. Started all 50 games of his Razorback career, tied for the second-longest active streak in the country at the end of 2013. Blocked for the first season in school history with a 3,000-yard passer and a 1,000-yard rusher in 2010, and two seasons with a 1,000-yard rusher.

53. *Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee, 6-6, 327, 5.16, 2Meet "Tiny," who is anything but. Still, Richardson answers by that nickname even has he uses his huge, natural size and strength to dominate even the best defenders. But to continue to do so in the NFL he must work on technique, such as keeping his feet moving. In 2012 he handled South Carolina pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney (No. 1 on this list), but wasn't quite as impressive in the 2013 rematch when Clowney bull-rushed him a few times.

54. Dominique Easley, DT, Florida, 6-2, 285, 4.93, 2If health weren't a concern, Easley might be discussed as a potential top-10 pick, according the NFLDraftScout.com's Dane Brugler. But after two ACL tears, both on non-contact plays, durability is a major red flag. He came back from a left ACL in 2011, then blew out his right ACL last September. A healthy Easley has exceptional get-off quickness, constantly playing on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

55. *Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU, 6-0, 195, 4.49, 2Fearless receiver with strong hands and not an easy target to tackle after the catch. Career included 137 catches for 1,809 yards and 15 touchdowns. Has adequate speed, but lacks burst to cause quick separation. Reminds NFLDraftScout's Dane Brugler of Denver's Eric Decker.

56. Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State, 6-0, 235, 4.62, 2North-south runner blasted for 1,527 yards last year, the first running back for an Urban Meyer-coached team to rush 1,000 yards in a season. More impressive, he did it despite missing first three games on suspension for an altercation with a woman in a Columbus nightclub last summer. "I go out every game with the mindset that I have to make up for those three games," Hyde said in October. "That suspension ... really hurt."

57. Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois, 6-2, 219, 4.78, 2Created a buzz as he broke all of Tony Romo's career school records, as well as all of the Ohio Valley Conference passing records. Won the Walter Payton Award in 2013 after throwing for 5,050 yards and 53 touchdowns. His career totals include 13,156 yards passing, 118 touchdowns. Garoppollo overcomes a lack height and arm strength with quick thinking and good understanding of his pass-happy offense.

58. *Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State, 6-2, 216, 4.56, 2In 2013, as a sophomore, led the nation with 131 catches for 1,719 yards and 24 touchdowns. Powerfully-built receiver with deceptive speed and outstanding leaping ability. He was quarterback Derek Carr's favorite receiver for a lot of reasons, including a tenacity that helped him win battles for the ball. Student of the game, focused on maxing his abilities.

59. Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech, 6-0, 194, 4.45, 2Fuller pulled out of the Senior Bowl after dealing with a sports hernia throughout his senior year. He had surgery in November. Although he lacks great speed, Fuller plays like a natural who has the athleticism to cover and the aggressiveness to play the run.

60. Telvin Smith, OLB, Florida State, 6-3, 218, 4.60, 2Rangy athlete with loose hips and springs in his legs. Aggressive blitzer with explosive first step and closes quickly with evil intent. Fluid in his cover drops and plays natural in space. Excellent read-and-react instincts to diagnose and attack without hesitation. Light, but physical and won't shy from point of attack contact. Motivated, hard-working leader who needs to add some muscle.

61. Jack Mewhort, OT, Ohio State, 6-6, 306, 5.28, 2Versatile offensive line prospect who played at every spot except center, and projects as a right tackle. Mewhort looked strong during drills at the Senior Bowl, making it difficult on rushers who lined up across from him. He utilizes every inch of his tall, stout frame (6-6, 306 pounds) and large wingspan (80 1/4 inches) to engulf and control rushers. Has two arrests, including one last May for public urination and for evading the police.

62. Jimmie Ward, SS, Northern Illinois, 5-11, 191, 4.59, 2Ward came off a 95-tackle, seven interception senior season at NIU and then further impressed scouts at the Senior Bowl. He is smart, heady and puts himself in position to succeed, using his speed and range to cover the deep half of the field. NFLDraftScout.com's Rob Rang said Ward was the Senior Bowl's most impressive pass defender this year.

62. *Ed Reynolds, FS, Stanford, 6-2, 206, 4.54, 2Reynolds is physical, instinctive and has lanky build that teams like for at the position. Shows ability to handle athletic tight ends, which is becoming more important every year in the NFL. Had only one highly-productive season in terms of creating turnovers while playing on a defense with dominant front seven. Father, also Ed Reynolds, was an NFL linebacker for New England and the New York giants (1983-92).

63. *Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington, 5-10, 203, 4.49, 2-3Despite inconsistent offensive line and quarterback play in 2013, Sankey broke Corey Dillon's single-season school rushing record with 1,870 yards and scored 20 touchdowns in 13 games. The total seems better than the sum of his parts, but shows an impressive jump-cut and rarely takes flush hits. Durable player who never missed a game and was voted team captain as a junior.

64. Will Sutton, DT, Arizona State, 6-1, 315, 4.94, 2-3After missing the 2011 season for academic reasons, Sutton's play the next two years made that off-field issue, well, academic. He earned the Pac-12 Pat Tillman Defensive Player of the Year in both 2012 and 2013, a back-to-back feat accomplished previously by only Steve Emtman, a No. 1 overall pick in 1992. Sutton Has a compact build that gives him leverage advantage over most NFL offensive linemen. He has a knack of timing the snap and shows an explosive burst to slip through gaps.

--Frank Cooney, founder and publisher of The Sports Xchange and NFLDraftScout.com, covered the NFL and the draft since the 1960s and is a selector for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

I like Oliver's game, but with him not getting an all-star game or combine invite, the writing is on the wall that he faces an uphill battle to get drafted or make a roster. He could be this year's Dennis Johnson or he could be this year's Robbie Rouse. I think if he runs sub 4.6 and weighs 200+ pounds at his pro day, he'll still have some sort of pulse. If he doesn't hit those marks, he'll look more like an overachiever whose physical tools are just too flawed.

Obviously the evaluators are seeing something there that they don't like. Otherwise there would've been more of a push to bring him in to the combine or one of the all-star games. I think maybe he's just not fast/explosive enough for his size. I also think there's a pretty strong bias against short (5'8" or less) backs. Even the best guys from that population had a pretty low glass ceiling in the NFL draft (Rice, MJD, Sproles).

Arizona RB Ka'Deem Carey's lack of speed an issue with scouts

By Mike Huguenin

Arizona's Ka'Deem Carey will be looking to impress when running backs do their on-field workouts at the NFL Scouting Combine on Sunday.

Carey led the nation in rushing in 2012 and finished second to Boston College's Andre Williams in 2013; he combined for 3,814 yards and 42 TDs on 652 carries in those two seasons. But Carey is far from a lock to be the first running back taken in the draft. NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock doesn't even have Carey in his list of the top five backs.

One issue with Carey -- listed at 5-foot-10 and 207 pounds by Arizona -- is that he piled up big numbers in coach Rich Rodriguez's spread-based attack, and big numbers in a spread don't always translate well to the NFL. Another is that he lacks elite speed. Carey also has had some off-field issues. But he is a physical runner who is comfortable between the tackles and also can turn the corner.

"I may not be the biggest guy, but I feel my frame is just right for the NFL," Carey told USA Today. "There are other backs around 200 [pounds]. I'm sitting at 207. I'm physical. I don't accept hits, I deliver them. If I can improve my breakaway speed and deliver the blow, I'll be OK at the next level."

Durability has not been an issue. Carey averaged 326 carries the last two seasons, including 349 carries in 2013 -- more than four teams and only six fewer than Pac-12 rival Oregon State. That's a lot of punishment, and some teams probably will wonder how much tread is left on his tires.

A big positive is Carey's receiving ability; he had a combined 62 receptions in the past two seasons.

"Being able to catch the ball can be a benefit to my career, long-term," he told USA Today. "Teams can spread me out and throw me the ball. Coach Rodriguez taught me how to get open and read coverages. That can certainly help me."

A running back was not selected in the first round of the 2013 draft, and there's no clear-cut first-rounder in this year's crop. At some point, though, there probably will be a run on running backs, and how early Carey goes probably will be determined by that. He seems likely to go in the second or third round.

CFN combine WR preview:

Top 10

The Rest Part One

The Rest Part Two

Their analysis is usually pretty good.

Not really feeling the Martavis Bryant hype or the Moncrief/Boldin comparison, but overall most of this stuff seems pretty on-point.
It says "Draft Him" next to every player; does that mean they are high on all the WRs or is that just the format they are producing? I was expecting a "draft him" "don't draft him" type of list after the first few.

CFN combine WR preview:

Top 10

The Rest Part One

The Rest Part Two

Their analysis is usually pretty good.

Not really feeling the Martavis Bryant hype or the Moncrief/Boldin comparison, but overall most of this stuff seems pretty on-point.
It says "Draft Him" next to every player; does that mean they are high on all the WRs or is that just the format they are producing? I was expecting a "draft him" "don't draft him" type of list after the first few.
That's just where they put their analysis for the player. Basically stating the case for that player. They cite positives/negatives too.

Users who are viewing this thread