What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (1 Viewer)

Not sure what the heck the Panthers are doing right now. They sure are banking on getting WRs in this draft aren't they?

NYG are after Ginn. What's the problem we had with bringing him back? He played well. Did we not want him or just not be able to pay him?

FWIW, Ginn + Sanders to me is better than Nicks in the tub.
Gettleman decided to let everyone test the market. Oh well not everyone thank god Bell is locked up. But we did already lose a good safety to that crap.

NYG are after Ginn. What's the problem we had with bringing him back? He played well. Did we not want him or just not be able to pay him?

FWIW, Ginn + Sanders to me is better than Nicks in the tub.
Gettleman decided to let everyone test the market. Oh well not everyone thank god Bell is locked up. But we did already lose a good safety to that crap.
Has not been a good off season so far. Sucks knowing we were the #2 seed in the NFC and the holes have gotten bigger in the Offense and that was our #1 issue.

Also, don't get the Ginn thing. He seems like he would be so cheap and as a WR3 deep threat and a dangerous returner, he seemed to play really well. I think Ginn as WR3, Smith as WR2/slot and a rookie as the WR1 (hopefully picking the right one) would have been a crapload better than the results we got out last year.

The funny thing is that I didn't want Nicks at all, but for 1 year at $4M, I would have been all over that. Decker got $7+M for 5 years and while young, he isn't a stud. As I said before, there are no FA WRs that IMHO can be a #1 WR, i.e. what Smith has been before. Only the rookies have that potential.

This just in on Pro Football Talk:

Panthers not showing interest in Nicks, yetPosted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
350x-3111-e1350065417196.jpg
Getty ImagesWith Steve Smith out in Carolina, many believe the team will now bring Hakeem Nicks home to Charlotte. And while that could go a long way toward calming down some restless Panthers fans, there’s no clear indication it will happen.

A league source tells PFT that, as of last night, the Panthers had shown no interest in Nicks.

As we’ve previously suggested, Gettleman’s interest — or lack thereof — in Nicks will be telling. Gettleman worked for the Giants when Nicks was drafted, and through several years of his career. Gettleman still knows people with the team. Whatever happened over the last two years to make Nicks career go awry, Gettleman knows more about it than any other G.M.

So if Gettleman doesn’t want Nicks, that’s a problem. For Nicks.

I could handle those numbers. I don't think he is great, but him + a 1st round WR (who hopefully is solid) isn't a bad tandem. I just didn't want to break the bank for a guy who is a WR2 and is not close to a WR1. I wonder if I am coming around more on Nicks because there is now nobody else.

Is anyone else surprised at the Colts interest? I guess Wayne/Allen might not be ready, but with Hilton, Fleener and Brazill, it seems like if Wayne and Allen are ready that Nicks is kind of a waste.

I know it doesn't show in the stats,but that's a big loss IMO.
What is the deal structure? I agree. I have said several times in the thread that I thought he played really well as a deep threat and returner. If he signed for piddly, that was a really dumb move.
Haven't seen the details yet.

Munnerlynn signs with the Vikings.

What are the Panthers doing?

SON OF A #####! Really? Ginn and Mitchell? My guess is they figure Barner can handle returns and that way they can get him on the field but he isn't a wideout. I am quickly getting a bad feeling here. Nicks ain't even close to the cure. And if they bring back Lafell I say it's time for the pitchforks.

"I am no longer a No. 1 wide receiver and I know that," Smith told Sirius XM's Bleacher Report radio on Thursday after the Carolina Panthers released him. "And I've been knowing that, and I don't have a problem with that.
Oh yeah that sounds like a guy who isn't willing to step back.

Not sure what the heck the Panthers are doing right now. They sure are banking on getting WRs in this draft aren't they?
It's a good draft to take the risk.
As fantasy football players we ought to all be aware that it usually takes a receiver 2-3 seasons to really be productive after being drafted Especially if they weren't the guy in that draft. We won't be drafting high enough to get the guy all the guys we will see will have question marks. So emptying the cupboard seems like a real bad idea to me.

NCCommish said:
SON OF A #####! Really? Ginn and Mitchell? My guess is they figure Barner can handle returns and that way they can get him on the field but he isn't a wideout. I am quickly getting a bad feeling here. Nicks ain't even close to the cure. And if they bring back Lafell I say it's time for the pitchforks.
Lafell is being courted by NE.

NCCommish said:
Lafell is being courted by NE.
Just read he left NE without a contract and was in Charlotte today.

NCCommish said:
cstu said:
Archer said:
It's a good draft to take the risk.
As fantasy football players we ought to all be aware that it usually takes a receiver 2-3 seasons to really be productive after being drafted Especially if they weren't the guy in that draft. We won't be drafting high enough to get the guy all the guys we will see will have question marks. So emptying the cupboard seems like a real bad idea to me.
The guy that seems to have the polish in the draft and isn't raw is Watkins and we'd have to jump ten stories high from 1.28, plus maybe give up our 2015 1st.

NCCommish said:
:goodposting: unfortunately

It's getting increasingly tough to envision "the plan" that we assume DG has.

Archer said:
They have some big holes that keep getting larger...
I'm not sure how deep this rabbit hole is presently. LOL. This is the abyss of the Marianas Trench right now at wideout. I mean, I'd like to have 1 guy with 1 catch to make me feel a little better. <Bagel> Work to do, work to do.

NCCommish said:

Given the present situation at WR, Lafell looks like a HOFer. LOL. Heck, we need SOMEBODY with a catch. I mean, ANYBODY. Really? :scared: :help: :doh: :tinfoilhat:

Well to be fair we didn't have Ginn or Mitchell at this time last year. I just hope there is still some magic in that old silk hat Gman found. He is going to need every bit of it.

Archer said:
They have some big holes that keep getting larger...
I'm not sure how deep this rabbit hole is presently. LOL. This is the abyss of the Marianas Trench right now at wideout. I mean, I'd like to have 1 guy with 1 catch to make me feel a little better. <Bagel> Work to do, work to do.
Doesn't inspire much confidence when another WR starved team like NE doesn't even want Lafell enough to ink him while he's there. I mean, Edleman's everywhere and more than likely gone which leaves them with gimp AMendola as their "TOP" WR and a bunch of young guys. I'm sure in typical NE fashion they're bargain shopping and Lafell got lowballed but what do they really have in terms of steady veteran WR talent that he's back in Charlotte already?

NCCommish said:

I have faith in his capability as a GM. I mean the Giants were a well run organization when he was there and he did a pretty good job last year, certainly considering what he had to work with. So, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt although the Smith release could have used a little more relationship tact. I'm not screaming the sky is falling but... well, obvious is obvious... if the season were to start today... well Olsen would have a career year... ha ha

Well to be fair we didn't have Ginn or Mitchell at this time last year. I just hope there is still some magic in that old silk hat Gman found. He is going to need every bit of it.
He's astute. But we're going to need shrewd decisions, magic, luck and maybe some pixie dust to have a Corvette on Offense this year. Right?

massraider said:
Would they explore DeSean?
No way we have money to give him or assets to get him. Plus, I think he's going to be in Philly for another year or two, despite the rumors. He's inked and barriing a holdout or major T.O. type tantrum over a contract, I think they want him. Eagles have leverage and cap room to keep him for 2014 I think. Pretty sure he is signed for 2014. Moving ahead, that's what they're concerned about. Besides, another few good to great contributors on defense and they are in in my opinion (chuckle, take grain of salt here) in the handful of teams that are front running contenders. They're stout, improving, and they're going to need Jackson THIS year if they really want to be champs in 2014.

He's astute. But we're going to need shrewd decisions, magic, luck and maybe some pixie dust to have a Corvette on Offense this year. Right?
Seems like.

Apparently they lost out on the FA tackle they were chasing. Burns me up that the LT from the Raiders took a deal with a 2.1 million dollar cap hit this year and never exceeds 6 million during the contract, He wasn't an all star but he would have been a value add at that kind of money. And the deal Mitchell signed was a one year deal The only guaranteed money is this season and then they own him nothing. Even Ginn didn't break the bank. So it hurts to see these guys signed for bargain prices and we didn't even try for them. Now I am having trouble maintaining acceptance.

Seems like.

Apparently they lost out on the FA tackle they were chasing. Burns me up that the LT from the Raiders took a deal with a 2.1 million dollar cap hit this year and never exceeds 6 million during the contract, He wasn't an all star but he would have been a value add at that kind of money. And the deal Mitchell signed was a one year deal The only guaranteed money is this season and then they own him nothing. Even Ginn didn't break the bank. So it hurts to see these guys signed for bargain prices and we didn't even try for them. Now I am having trouble maintaining acceptance.
Collins, Ginn and Mitchell were all "targets" according to DG. The difference between now and last year is DG has some competition for the players. All those guys from last year were on the scrap heap when he got them. I also know that during camp vets will get dropped etc. I'm not panicked. I'd lust like to see a little better where the heck this train is going.

Back to the Smith release for a minute. Anyone think they got rid of Smith to help Cam mature? Partially, this may be true, in addition to age, declining skills, and salary. Smith was a leader because of his competitiveness but everyone knows he had his troubles with teammates at times. Perhaps, knowing more pressure is going to be on Cam this year to carry the offense, they felt a combination of a less effective Smith and a strong ego in the offense, would deter Cam from maturing as we'd ideally like. We loved Smith for his fire and absolved him of his responsibility for the chip he kept on his shoulder as his contribution athletically was greater than the detriment he brought. However, with money tight and another year of age, maybe they felt they'd like to give Cam more of a role model. We certainly absolve Cam of his responsibility for maturing somewhat because he's an athletic marvel. Maybe it's addition by subtraction. Cam is the more important important athlete now and we obviously need him to mature emotionally if we are going to get the best from him in a season where we need him to take a very giant leap forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like.

That's disconcerting if true. I had no idea the structure of these guys' new contracts. Could we have had them back? Great post.

Seems like.

That's disconcerting if true. I had no idea the structure of these guys' new contracts. Could we have had them back? Great post.
Well for sure you have to think we could have guaranteed Mitchell more than 5 million on a 5 year contract to keep him. And his cap number could have been real low. Give him a couple million bonus and 3 million in salary this year. Guarantee the next two years at 3 million each and he makes 11 million instead of 5. Why wouldn't he take that?

So, can this team just run the ball 700 times this year without any WRs?
Hey we still have McNutt.
I was asking that question as a still hopeful owner of J Stew....who's been on my roster since his rookie year.....
Ah yes the conundrum of JStew, I hope they are planning on him getting some carries.
Given they don't have any WR weapons, what other choice do they have? Run D Will 400 times?

So, can this team just run the ball 700 times this year without any WRs?
Hey we still have McNutt.
I was asking that question as a still hopeful owner of J Stew....who's been on my roster since his rookie year.....
Ah yes the conundrum of JStew, I hope they are planning on him getting some carries.
Given they don't have any WR weapons, what other choice do they have? Run D Will 400 times?
To be fair, it is hard to describe the WR corps from last year as "weapons". I think it was painfully obvious they needed more talent there. The problem is that there are not really many attractive FAs to bring in. And, with the retirement of Gross, they have a big hole to fill at LT in addition to the expected work needed at the backend and WR.

Quite simply, they don't have the draft picks to fill those. They need to sign some people even if it is a gamble like Nicks or Rice.

Yeah, I'm not really sure why the WR position is such a hot button. As Slapdash pointed out, it wasn't a strong group last year. I think if they bring in Nicks (as reports indicate they want too) and draft a guy early (round 1 or 2) then they will have likely upgraded the position. They have no WR1 and didn't really have one last year either. Smith, by his own admission, isn't a WR1 any more. While Nicks may not have lived up to his potential the past few years I'd say he has a far greater likelihood of performing like a WR1 at this stage than Smith. I guess my point is, in 2 months Car may be looking like they upgraded the position from last year rather than abandoned it.

I was thinking earlier today that Smith's gig on WFNZ was probably the nail in the coffin. He was awfully frank about team mates at times and even when he wasn't, his hints or silence was telling. He spoke his mind and that probably didn't go over well with some. I suspect Gman thought that wasn't the best atmosphere for a young team.

I was thinking earlier today that Smith's gig on WFNZ was probably the nail in the coffin. He was awfully frank about team mates at times and even when he wasn't, his hints or silence was telling. He spoke his mind and that probably didn't go over well with some. I suspect Gman thought that wasn't the best atmosphere for a young team.
Certainly a possibility.

Yeah, I'm not really sure why the WR position is such a hot button. As Slapdash pointed out, it wasn't a strong group last year. I think if they bring in Nicks (as reports indicate they want too) and draft a guy early (round 1 or 2) then they will have likely upgraded the position. They have no WR1 and didn't really have one last year either. Smith, by his own admission, isn't a WR1 any more. While Nicks may not have lived up to his potential the past few years I'd say he has a far greater likelihood of performing like a WR1 at this stage than Smith. I guess my point is, in 2 months Car may be looking like they upgraded the position from last year rather than abandoned it.
And it cost us games. Especially that playoff game.

Surprised to not see Emanuel Sanders visiting or linked to the team. With the Smith release, they have 11 mill or so in cap room, more than enough to sign him to a nice deal.

And it cost us games. Especially that playoff game.
Yeah, it was painfully obvious during that game that Cam doesn't have the weapons he really needs.

That actually makes sense to me. I thought many times while listening to FNZ that he had to be pissing off his teammates. That, and while I doubt many guys on the team would confront Smitty, I'm sure that alot of his mouthy "leadership" was recieved more with eyes rolling. He's hasn't exactly always been a model citizen.The part I don't get is how saving 3 million against the cap by cutting a guy you couldn't get off the field with a bull dozer, and replacing him with a guy who costs 4.5 million and can't stay on the field, is an improvement. I must be much more concerned about Nicks health than most. Add in that his prospects of ever returning to the elite threat he once was are slim IMO, and I just don't get the move. Aren't his knees trashed?

That actually makes sense to me. I thought many times while listening to FNZ that he had to be pissing off his teammates. That, and while I doubt many guys on the team would confront Smitty, I'm sure that alot of his mouthy "leadership" was recieved more with eyes rolling. He's hasn't exactly always been a model citizen.The part I don't get is how saving 3 million against the cap by cutting a guy you couldn't get off the field with a bull dozer, and replacing him with a guy who costs 4.5 million and can't stay on the field, is an improvement. I must be much more concerned about Nicks health than most. Add in that his prospects of ever returning to the elite threat he once was are slim IMO, and I just don't get the move. Aren't his knees trashed?
This. This. This.

It's gotta be the mouth really. I mean come on.

Surprised to not see Emanuel Sanders visiting or linked to the team. With the Smith release, they have 11 mill or so in cap room, more than enough to sign him to a nice deal.
Sanders is getting a lot of demand right now. He's everywhere. Would rather have him to build around than Nicks. He's pretty young and we could sign him for more than one year. He could fill in as a #2 type and hey, HE HAS AN ACTUAL NFL CATCH!!!!

You very well be correct. But given the WR stable has 0 career catches collectively, the mass exodus to retirement on the O line, guys signing bargain deals elsewhere, Nicks very possibly spending large parts of 2014 in a hot tub while collecting premium dollars, and the aformentioned point that, typically, rookie WR's aren't worth much; this guy, at least does have a little "Chicken Little" going on right now.

I mean we're going to make moves, I get it. But, so far, in FA we haven't signed a guy that fills any of these real holes. Plus, draft picks are a gamble and take time for development, no matter how Much Gman knocked it out of the park last year.

To be fair though, you very well could be correct, that when the dust settles, the WR core could outperform last year's. However, Gross was our best graded player on the whole team last year and he played the critical blind side protector spot.

Work to do. Work to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread