What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (3 Viewers)

I could've sworn it was reported he missed a test not failed it.

Am I wrong, or did I miss the news item where it was confirmed he failed one?
Greg Little was the guy who insinuated it was a missed test:

Hes a guy thats going to work to get back and show this is a mistake, Little said. Its something that wasnt in his control, so to speak. I dont want to get into too much detail about it.
When the story initially broke, both ESPN and NFLN reported not only a failed test, but also specifically that he tested positive for marijuana. I have a really hard time imagining major networks like those running a story like that without some kind of confirmation. Is it possible that they both screwed up? Of course. But it seems pretty unlikely.

Hes a guy thats going to work to get back and show this is a mistake, Little said. Its something that wasnt in his control, so to speak. I dont want to get into too much detail about it.
When the story initially broke, both ESPN and NFLN reported not only a failed test, but also specifically that he tested positive for marijuana. I have a really hard time imagining major networks like those running a story like that without some kind of confirmation. Is it possible that they both screwed up? Of course. But it seems pretty unlikely.
Major networks spew speculation as fact all the time. Hell, Fox News makes a living off doing nothing but that. It wouldn't be the first time ESPN or NFL network blew up a rumor as fact.

Major networks spew speculation as fact all the time. Hell, Fox News makes a living off doing nothing but that. It wouldn't be the first time ESPN or NFL network blew up a rumor as fact.
The media is in such a rush to be the ones breaking a story first that they jump the gun all the time...nothing new here

Soulfly3 said:
Ditka Butkus said:
Soulfly3 said:
Ditka Butkus said:
Then why are we having this 60 page conversation about a suspension?
good question.
Hell and I thought the fact that it was reported and the Brown's acknowledged that he failed yet another test was evidence enough that he failed a test. I also thought the fact that it was reported that he hadn't had his appeal of that failed test heard or even scheduled to date, was evidence enough that he hadn't had his appeal heard or scheduled.....I guess I should stop reading the Newspapers and other Newsworthy sports sites and just come in here and get my facts.
a) Im differentiating between failing a piss test, and missing the test. That's my point. And yes, I know a miss counts as a "fail", but if there are circumstances that prevented him from taking it, then there is a defense.

b) he hasnt even been handed SUSPENSION yet, so there is NOTHING FOR HIM TO APPEAL.

c) the Browns admitted he failed a test?
Some clarification: he is appealing, but is appealing the "failed" test--not a suspension.
I say correct........ NFL.: josh you failed your drug test.......Josh: I disagree I am going to appeal those results according to my NFLPA rights

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/source-eagles-rt-lane-johnson-tests-positive-peds

So much for the "other cases don't get leaked early, so we don't know the timeline" argument. Lets see how long this takes.
I couldn't get that link to open, so I googled and found this:

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/06/lane_johnson_to_suspended_four_games_after_testing_positive_for_ped_according_to_report.html

According to this article, this isn't a leak of a failed test, it is a leak of the suspension. According to this report, The NFL has already suspended Johnson, they just haven't announced it yet. That isn't the same as the Gordon situation, where the leak was of the failed test, BEFORE the suspension/appeals process had run its course.

As previously mentioned, the Fred Davis situation is more similar; news of his failed test was leaked, and it was several months before his suspension was announced.

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/source-eagles-rt-lane-johnson-tests-positive-peds

So much for the "other cases don't get leaked early, so we don't know the timeline" argument. Lets see how long this takes.
I couldn't get that link to open, so I googled and found this:http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/06/lane_johnson_to_suspended_four_games_after_testing_positive_for_ped_according_to_report.html

According to this article, this isn't a leak of a failed test, it is a leak of the suspension. According to this report, The NFL has already suspended Johnson, they just haven't announced it yet. That isn't the same as the Gordon situation, where the leak was of the failed test, BEFORE the suspension/appeals process had run its course.

As previously mentioned, the Fred Davis situation is more similar; news of his failed test was leaked, and it was several months before his suspension was announced.
Not sure I see the difference. The articles I read said "sources say he failed the test and will be suspended", and "the NFL has made no announcement". So basically a leaked failed test and speculation on a suspension..,

I couldn't get that link to open, so I googled and found this:http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/06/lane_johnson_to_suspended_four_games_after_testing_positive_for_ped_according_to_report.html

Not sure I see the difference. The articles I read said "sources say he failed the test and will be suspended", and "the NFL has made no announcement". So basically a leaked failed test and speculation on a suspension..,
You don't see the difference?

I got your link to open for me. Here's the actual quote:

will miss the first four games of the 2014 season thanks to a four-game NFL suspension for a positive PED test, a league source
According to your article, a LEAGUE SOURCE not only told that Johnson failed a test, but that he had already been suspended.

Here's the news from May about Gordon:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/05/josh_gordon_cleveland_browns_s_1.html

And here's they key part from that report:

two sources told ESPN's Outside the Lines that Gordon tested positive for marijuana and was informed in early winter. Gordon received a second letter in April notifying him of the pending suspension and his right to appeal
No mention of NFL sources (which would obviously have been included, if the sources were from the league), and it indicates that no suspension had been handed out (hence the term pending suspension).

So the Gordon leak is about a failed test, and a POSSIBLE suspension, that can be appealed.

The Johnson leak is about a suspension that has already been handed out and appealed, but not yet made public by the NFL.

Your "So much for the 'other cases don't get leaked early, so we don't know the timeline' argument. Lets see how long this takes" comment doesn't have any validity here, as the two situations aren't the same at all.

Appearing on Sirius XM Radio, ex-NFL GM Bill Polian predicted Aldon Smith will receive a three-game suspension "at most" for his off-field transgressions.
Smith caught an enormous break Tuesday when L.A. prosecutors decided against charging him for (allegedly) making a false bomb threat while (allegedly) drunk at an airport this April. The 24-year-old was also arrested for DUI in January 2012, and suspicion of DUI plus marijuana possession in September 2013. In October of 2013, Smith was charged with three felony counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon stemming from a 2012 stabbing incident. Meanwhile, Browns WR Josh Gordon is facing a year-long ban for smoking weed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously can;t help but laugh at this entire blurb.

Appearing on Sirius XM Radio, ex-NFL GM Bill Polian predicted Aldon Smith will receive a three-game suspension "at most" for his off-field transgressions.
Smith caught an enormous break Tuesday when L.A. prosecutors decided against charging him for (allegedly) making a false bomb threat while (allegedly) drunk at an airport this April. The 24-year-old was also arrested for DUI in January 2012, and suspicion of DUI plus marijuana possession in September 2013. In October of 2013, Smith was charged with three felony counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon stemming from a 2012 stabbing incident. Meanwhile, Browns WR Josh Gordon is facing a year-long ban for smoking weed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously can;t help but laugh at this entire blurb.
Naaaaa...he was framed

In anticipation of some literal DBag coming in here and "they agreed to the CBA"'ing the blurb....

We know.

Just look at it from a LOGICAL perspective.

That is pretty funny. A guy who off the field make terroristic threats, gets a DUI, and is facing three felonies involving a STABBING is looking at 3 a game ban? Smoke the reefer and you might as well quit the league.

ETA: Who is most likely to end up the next Aaron Hernandez? Maybe the NFL is rigged? 49ers are clearly a Super Bowl favorite...can't have them lose one of their best players for too long.
Accusations versus fact.

That is pretty funny. A guy who off the field make terroristic threats, gets a DUI, and is facing three felonies involving a STABBING is looking at 3 a game ban? Smoke the reefer and you might as well quit the league.

ETA: Who is most likely to end up the next Aaron Hernandez? Maybe the NFL is rigged? 49ers are clearly a Super Bowl favorite...can't have them lose one of their best players for too long.
Accusations versus fact.
Not to mention....The players agreed to abide by the NFL rules.....If they want more harsh punishment for conduct violations and less for drug violations then they should propose it at their next NFLPA meeting and negotiate to have it put in their players union contract. But right now the rules are the rules ..no matter how illogical they seem.

Accusations versus fact.
Not to mention....The players agreed to abide by the NFL rules.....If they want more harsh punishment for conduct violations and less for drug violations then they should propose it at their next NFLPA meeting and negotiate to have it put in their players union contract. But right now the rules are the rules ..no matter how illogical they seem.
It doesn't make any sense but those are the rules the players agreed to. Better than HGH testing to them I suppose.

is anyone else concerned that josh gordon is on a fantasy football message board belligerently and incoherently defending his innocence instead of training for the nfl season?
He seems to have a grasp of the English language. I'll bet it's his agent who had already spent the commissions on his next contract.

I'm calling July 25th for the announcement. Day before Browns training camp, all other training camps starting, NFL hopes it gets lost on a Friday with everyone focused on their local team. No idea what the suspension will be, but if forced to guess, I would say year-long.

0 game suspension.

Maybe a small monetary fine.

Legit excuse for missing a test.
I'll use your logic...If it was that simple wouldn't they have announced it already?

Should be 16....they will find a way to come up with a superstar exception and reduce it to 8

Josh Gordon's tattoo

https://twitter.com/4for4_Josh/status/483416691377176576/photo/1

Pay attention to the leaf on the bottom of the #1. :coffee:
Oof!
Breaking News.

About a year ago
Yet you still defend him, he clearly has issue. How many people you know who do not have an obsession with weed that have it tattoed on their body? Doesnt matter if it was a year or go or today, having a weed tattoo on your body shows making bad choices and you defend him. Oof.

Yet you still defend him, he clearly has issue. How many people you know who do not have an obsession with weed that have it tattoed on their body? Doesnt matter if it was a year or go or today, having a weed tattoo on your body shows making bad choices and you defend him. Oof.
You and I clearly have different definitions of what needs defending.

Smoking weed to me is not a problem.

Now, if he gets busted failing a test and gets 16 games, different story. Ive already said 100 times (tho it never gets thru for some reason) that if he gets a season off, I wont defend him.

0 game suspension.

Maybe a small monetary fine.

Legit excuse for missing a test.
wow :hangover: ....do you really think this or just hope this? You can be so out their with your views, I can't tell if you are just stirring things up, or so clouded by your own bias that you really believe this.
We'll see when it's announced.

I think those of you guaranteeing 16 games are just as out there as you think I am.

A 4 game and a Year Long substance abuse suspension handed out today.

And Josh Gordon still playing 16 games as of July 3, 2014.

Users who are viewing this thread