What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Add/Drop and Waiver Wire wonderment thread: Do you still own Domingo Santana? (2 Viewers)

Ah, following me into other threads now, ones you never post in.

Taking the next step up the stalking ladder, huh?

Grandal has homered in consecutive days. I think a lot of people thought he would be a good OBP play this year, but he's been awful vs LHP generating no power at all. Every time I want to pick him up, something else catches my eye and I go another direction. Lots of so so catchers out there but this guys power is undeniable, wondering if we have a hot streak coming here. :oldunsure:

• Smile
Reactions: RnR
Christian Yelich or Gregory Polanco or Marlon Byrd? We start OF positions and 1 OF.

So here's my current OF:

LF: Braun (LF, RF)

CF: Kiermaier (CF, RF)

RF: Moss (1B, LR, RF)

OF: CarGo (LF)

BN: Polanco (RF)

BN: Calhoun (RF)

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, Polanco. He has by far the highest ceiling to put it together this year, but even if he doesn't I think he will run to keep himself useful.

I'm a little skeptical on Kiermaier moving forward, but I admit I haven't watched him that much either.

For me, Polanco. He has by far the highest ceiling to put it together this year, but even if he doesn't I think he will run to keep himself useful.

I'm a little skeptical on Kiermaier moving forward, but I admit I haven't watched him that much either.
I just scooped him up. Not many good CFers out there. Was rolling with Lorenzo Cain for awhile, but he's been in a slump lately.

I like Polanco, but he's been in a slump the whole month of July.

I need to pickup a couple starters after losing Tanaka and Estrada this week. The usual dreck is available on the wire. Chris Young, Bart Colon, Volquez, Vogelsong, Collmenter, Gibson, Miley, Danks, etc. Anyone like any of these guys or have their eyes on another up-and-comer? Its a keeper league with a ML roster, so none of the decent prospects are available.

:help:
OK, back to this. Need two starters. Usual suspects still available... also considering Yusmeiro Petit, Jacob deGrom, Despaigne or Jimmy Nelson.

Justin Verlander is also available on the WW. He has a pretty hefty salary though. I would need to clear some space, but could probably swing it.

Thoughts?

b/r has Miley as their #1 WW Pickup of the week...

If you're considering adding an arm and just focusing on the season-to-date stats, you're going to gloss over Wade Miley. But you shouldn't.

While the 27-year-old lefty almost never hurts a fantasy owner's bottom line when he toes the rubber, his ERA and WHIP sit at 4.16 and 1.23, respectively. Admittedly, those don't look all that worth owning.

What Miley has done over his past 10 turns, though? Well worth owning. In that time, Miley has pitched to a 3.44 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and a whopping 10.1 K/9 over 65.1 innings.

With an outing against the lefty-loaded lineup of the Philadelphia Phillies on tap for Friday, Miley could continue a run that has him looking like the guy who was a dependable starter who put up a 3.44 ERA and 1.25 WHIP during his first two full seasons—only with more strikeouts.

I need to pickup a couple starters after losing Tanaka and Estrada this week. The usual dreck is available on the wire. Chris Young, Bart Colon, Volquez, Vogelsong, Collmenter, Gibson, Miley, Danks, etc. Anyone like any of these guys or have their eyes on another up-and-comer? Its a keeper league with a ML roster, so none of the decent prospects are available.

OK, back to this. Need two starters. Usual suspects still available... also considering Yusmeiro Petit, Jacob deGrom, Despaigne or Jimmy Nelson.

Justin Verlander is also available on the WW. He has a pretty hefty salary though. I would need to clear some space, but could probably swing it.

Thoughts?
Just to throw another name out there, I think Joe Kelly faces the Cubs this week. He doesn't strike anybody out, but he could be a source of wins and he is normally safe for ERA/WHIP. If Martinez stays in that rotation, he's got upside, but he might be owned and he might get skipped.

Thoughts?
Just to throw another name out there, I think Joe Kelly faces the Cubs this week. He doesn't strike anybody out, but he could be a source of wins and he is normally safe for ERA/WHIP. If Martinez stays in that rotation, he's got upside, but he might be owned and he might get skipped.
Both Kelly and CarMart are already roostered. Appreciate the input though. :thumbup:

Think its finally time to drop mike minor. What a dud. Next two starts vs SD though so maybe ill stick it out two more starts

Which of these guys would you want for the rest of the year in a 5X5 roto? Miley de Grom Hudson Kennedy
Hudson's the safest, but also the most boring. Probably depends where you are in the standings. If you just need an innings eater he's your guy, especially because he offers something the other don't - a better shot at W's. The clock will strike midnight on him at some point, but it's starting to look like it may not be this year. If he starts to fade be proactive about getting out.

Kennedy has shown some skills progression this year, but I just don't trust him. If he stays in the NL he'll probably continue to do what he's been doing, but if he goes back to the AL (potentially better W situation) I expect his ratios to go the other way and he really can't afford them to if they're going to help you. He's pitching better, but his HR:FB rate is looking at a correction against stronger lineups.

Miley's shown some skills progression too as he's getting bats to chase more, but when the ball is in the zone it is getting hit - hard. He's also stuck in that wasteland in Arizona, good luck getting W's.

DeGrom? Let someone else roll the dice. He was a very average minor league pitcher in 2013. His current K rate in the majors is the highest it's ever been at any level, looks like it's been aided by a lot of fishing outside of the strike zone. With his walk rate already north of 3 I'd be surprised if opposing hitter's don't correct this. Again, if he were in a better spot to get W's - maybe. He's not though. Risk isn't worth it.

Win/Loss since an arbitrary date....let's say June 1st

Miley 3-1

DeGrom 4-3

Kennedy 4-3

Hudson 3-5

Miley and DeGrom have one less start (9) than Kennedy and Hudson

So it doesn't seem like any of them are more likely to provide you with Wins like Mac suggests.

If run support = wins....Runs per game for the season for NYM, SF, ARI are all around 3.9. We all know SD is awful, they're at 3.1

Runs per game since that 6-1 date

Ari - 4.1 (good luck getting wins here :hophead: )

NYM - 3.8

SF - 3.6 (here's where you want to chase wins?)

SD 2.9

So if I'm chasing wins, which is always a crap shoot, recent numbers say to go Miley.

I'll just carry over from the other thread

MAC_32 said:
If you disagree with something I write then do so at that time....and despite how you guys always react, it is possible to do that without being an ###.
In a vaccum game to game wins are as fluky as any other category, I'd argue moreso. That said, in the big picture, San Francisco is going to project to more wins the rest of the way than any of those three teams, especially after they sell off at the deadline. Will that necessarily mean more wins for Tim Hudson? No, but I'd bet on him getting more than a comparable or lesser arm from one of those other teams. It's also possible he gets stuck in a barrage of 3-2 and 2-1 games while one of the others backs into a few 7-5 wins.

When you're looking at these types of arms you're looking for tie breaker's. In this case, I think wins is one, it at least gives me that finally push. I trust Hudson more and that makes it even easier.

Anyone starting Danny Salazar tonight?

:mellow:
:hey:

and Jimmy Nelson.
Fan Graphs guys including FBG Knightro are big on Nelson, Rotowire guys like him also FWIW.
Not a bad line for the 2 combined:

11 INN, 10 HA, 4 BBI, 11 K, 4 ER, 3.273 ERA, 1.273 WHIP

All I need is passable pitching from them the rest of the season.
Another good double matchup today:

Salazar vs. KC

Nelson vs. NYM

Users who are viewing this thread