What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (2 Viewers)

Were gonna fly (Michigan)

Our first trip and I've read some of this thread but it's overwhelming

Our kids will be 6, 3 and 22 months so I don't think we'll be planning every aspect of our trip like some do
I think you and I spoke on the phone when you were in MD on business about a year ago. If you still have my number in your PM, I could give you a crash course in 5 minutes of everything I wish I knew before my family made our first trip in May.
Yep...I still have it. I may take you up on that soon

Found the spreadsheet - it needs some cleaning up and as I mentioned is a little dated (but not too much - I think I did this either late 2013 or early 2014).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kjzw5v23usd5uzc/Dining%20Plan%20Snacks.xlsx
Can someone explain how I should be using this?
Are these meal plan snack options? You can probably go the full days in the park just on snack options to hold you off until sit down dinner. I know people that will do this. They transfer the counter service meal into 2 snack options.

This shows you the best options for you buck, and where you can get it.

If ride photos weren't enough for you... ride videos are coming.

MagicBand users with Memory Maker are going to be part of a test group for souvenir ride videos of Tower Of Terror. The new Mine Train is expected to be next on the test list.

MagicBand users with Memory Maker are going to be part of a test group for souvenir ride videos of Tower Of Terror. The new Mine Train is expected to be next on the test list.
Do you have any idea when this is going to start? Going in early Dec.

Tower Of Terror tested it on a few riders today. Riders should be able to see the video in their My Disney Experience account in a couple days.

No timetable released yet on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, but the ride was designed with this feature in mind.

Haunted Mansion is also rumored to get a shutdown in November or early December to install ride photo and video technology in time for the Xmas/New Year's week crowd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any advice on buying Disneyland package for two adults,three children in February?

In the past I drove there from Az and bought park passes at Costco. I can not say I enjoyed the drive and I would prefer to fly. I drove to save money and I suspect I will have to do this again but that seems like a waste of time and is very tiring to me.

I am interested in a package that includes flight,hotel,and park passes. Where is the best place to look for this? I did a google search but was not impressed with what I found. It also seems like it is hard to make reservations in Feb 2015 now?
I can't speak to packages, but we went earlier this year. The drive really isn't that bad. We stayed at the Park Vue Inn (Thanks Bruce!), which is pretty much as close as you can get to the Disneyland gates. It's clean, there's no parking charge, no resort fee, and breakfast is included. It's not going to be the nicest room you've ever been in, but it's clean and the beds are comfortable. It's also not going to be the best breakfast you've ever had in your life, but hey, welcome to Disneyland!

A friendly word RE: the drive - even when the speed limit is 75, 85 or higher is considered criminal speeding. :bag:
Sadly I have learned this on San Diego trips.

Thanks for the reply, I will look into Park Vue.

Found the spreadsheet - it needs some cleaning up and as I mentioned is a little dated (but not too much - I think I did this either late 2013 or early 2014).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kjzw5v23usd5uzc/Dining%20Plan%20Snacks.xlsx
Can someone explain how I should be using this?
Sorry, haven't been back in here. Basically I used it to find best snack value and locations for certain items. Most useful for dining plan. It also allowed me to try some snacks I've never had there before.

Tower Of Terror tested it on a few riders today. Riders should be able to see the video in their My Disney Experience account in a couple days.

No timetable released yet on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, but the ride was designed with this feature in mind.

Haunted Mansion is also rumored to get a shutdown in November or early December to install ride photo and video technology in time for the Xmas/New Year's week crowd.
Yeah, heard about the Haunted Mansion, good news is that is one less ride to have to get a FP+ for!

Maybe we will get the videos! :Crossingfingers:

Do you have a link or anything?

From an email received by a Disney Travel Agent on the videos...

Beginning Aug. 12, 2014, Guests with both a MagicBand and a linked Memory Maker entitlement who ride The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ at Disney’s Hollywood Studios® will find a video memento of their 13-story drop automatically associated to theirMy Disney Experience account.

The Attraction video will be available only to Guests who have purchased Memory Makerand have linked their Memory Maker entitlement and MagicBand to their My Disney Experience account.

Guests with a linked Memory Maker entitlement also will be able to view and download the videos of their linked Family & Friends and Managed Guests that also have MagicBands.
Sounds great, and another reason to get the Memory Maker.

I wonder how much the videos are gonna cost? Aren't the pictures like 20-30?
Memory Maker is $149 when purchased in advanced. That gives you a digital copy of every picture (and I assume video) that is linked to your group's magic bands. You don't have to order prints from Disney. Download and do what you want with them.

I wonder how much the videos are gonna cost? Aren't the pictures like 20-30?
Memory Maker is $149 when purchased in advanced. That gives you a digital copy of every picture (and I assume video) that is linked to your group's magic bands. You don't have to order prints from Disney. Download and do what you want with them.
Was typing this when yours came up. My thoughts exactly.

Quez said:
When do they just turn DHS into Star Wars/Marvel World?
Can they do a Marvel? I thought part of the deal of the sale allowed Universal to keep the Marvel theme park rights?
Many years back, Marvel sold their theme park rights to Universal. In 2007, Universal let most of their rights expire, but hung on to the US rights east of the Mississippi River, and in Japan. So there aren't any Marvel characters at Universal Studios Hollywood, but their contract for Universal Studios Japan in Osaka runs at least another 10 years, and get this - their contract for eastern US rights are in perpetuity. Disney acquired the rest of the worldwide Marvel rights when they bought Marvel in 2009, but they can't just wait out the string for Universal Orlando's contract with Marvel to run out, because it doesn't. If Disney wants Marvel characters at WDW, they will have to buy Universal out of their contract or hope they go out of business.

So, Disneyland, Disney California Adventure, or Disneyland Paris could open MarvelLand tomorrow if they wanted to. But inside the parks in Orlando are off limits. Here's where it gets even weirder. Disney can put Marvel character stickers all over the MK monorail if they want since that monorail doesn't technically enter the Magic Kingdom. But they can't put Marvel signage on the Epcot monorail since that line passes through Epcot.

I don't see Universal Orlando changing the entire Marvel part of the park anytime soon. Unless they need to expand for more Harry Potter crap.

I don't see Universal Orlando changing the entire Marvel part of the park anytime soon. Unless they need to expand for more Harry Potter crap.
I don't, either. IMO it's a matter of how big a check Disney wants to write to bring Marvel "home".

The annual bill to use the DC Comics and Looney Tunes characters in their parks costs Six Flags $3.3MM plus 12% of merchandise sales. I imagine it's going to cost a wee bit more than that for Disney to get Marvel out of USO and in WDW.

Quez said:
Can they do a Marvel? I thought part of the deal of the sale allowed Universal to keep the Marvel theme park rights?
Many years back, Marvel sold their theme park rights to Universal. In 2007, Universal let most of their rights expire, but hung on to the US rights east of the Mississippi River, and in Japan. So there aren't any Marvel characters at Universal Studios Hollywood, but their contract for Universal Studios Japan in Osaka runs at least another 10 years, and get this - their contract for eastern US rights are in perpetuity. Disney acquired the rest of the worldwide Marvel rights when they bought Marvel in 2009, but they can't just wait out the string for Universal Orlando's contract with Marvel to run out, because it doesn't. If Disney wants Marvel characters at WDW, they will have to buy Universal out of their contract or hope they go out of business.

So, Disneyland, Disney California Adventure, or Disneyland Paris could open MarvelLand tomorrow if they wanted to. But inside the parks in Orlando are off limits. Here's where it gets even weirder. Disney can put Marvel character stickers all over the MK monorail if they want since that monorail doesn't technically enter the Magic Kingdom. But they can't put Marvel signage on the Epcot monorail since that line passes through Epcot.
"Iron Man Experience" has been announced for Hong Kong Disneyland. Late 2016.

Quez said:

Man this is some super good and interesting info right hurrrrr.

Remember when Disney said the American Idol Experience building in DHS would close after the marathon in January 2015 to make room for more Star Wars stuff? Plans have changed.

New plan: The American Idol Experience building in DHS is going to close at the end of August 2014 to make room for more Star Wars stuff.

Remember when Disney said the American Idol Experience building in DHS would close after the marathon in January 2015 to make room for more Star Wars stuff? Plans have changed.

New plan: The American Idol Experience building in DHS is going to close at the end of August 2014 to make room for more Star Wars stuff.
Funny. We were there two weeks ago and noticed they took it off the front entrance to DHS where you drive in. They didn't waste any time.

Funny. We were there two weeks ago and noticed they took it off the front entrance to DHS where you drive in. They didn't waste any time.
I guess they realized they could either use that real estate to plug a vulnerable, declining brand owned by a competitor, or get to work on installing the new Star Wars stuff in time for Episode 7.

The AFI Showcase and gift shop at the end of the Backlot Tour is getting the hook this weekend, too. They are probably a while from completely turning over that space, but anything to accelerate that process is welcomed.

Just finished a week at the 4 parks.

Drove down from Long Island and the traffic was a bear, took 20.5 hours spread over two days, and about the same to get back. Just couldn't seem to avoid that virginia i95 traffic and roadwork and we had an backlog on i95 n Carolina for an accident, deads topped for an hour.

Thought the new fast pass system worked really well , the 4th fast pass worked well when the crowds thinned out at night time. We could plan around the fast passes nicely and I booked them all 30 days ahead, we stayed off property, but on property y can book. 60 days, youmight get the mine train.

Could Not get on the mine train, never wanted to wait the 90+ minutes! couldn't land a fast pass for that one, and we tried getting to the park at opening and it was an early open day, instant 90 minute wait.

Highly recommend the be our guest restaurant at MK, we got online at 1030am and were able to work our way in for a lunch at 1115 If you choose to do this lunch, and don't have a fast pass, get there no later than 1045, the place gets filled and booked pretty quick. They were all sold out when we finished up.

Also did the hoop de doo review, good food and good fun, expensive , $309 for 5 of us but I would do this one again in a few years, I never did this one before and really enjoyed it.

We did the ohana breakfast, I enjoyed the characters with my girls, but I thought the service was very rushed and it didn't seem worth it. I didn't love the atmosphere from where our seats were. We were kind of off the main dining room in the aux room, not as nice IMHO. You do get good characters in LILO and stitch and Mickey and Pluto, so that was nice.

My daughters birthday we spent at crystal palace, it's a buffet style, also pricey, but I thought it was worth it for a nice character meal you get pooh, piglet, eeyore and tigger. The atmosphere is nice and it's a great spot in MK.

A tip I never knew, you can walk to the boardwalk hotel and the amenities on this boardwalk from the Epcot international pathway, just north of Canada and England , a nice 15 minute stroll for a really nice place to check out.

All the parks were pretty well packed and it seems like august has a pretty strong influx of international visitors, MK was really jammed.

It rained everyday day for a little bit, but it was sunny every day as well, so it all worked out.

The frozen stuff was nice act Hollywood studios, and the place seemed pretty well crowded because of it.

Good exhausting fun.

I officially hate Frozen. Hollywood studios is packed. Never seen so many little rugrats dressed wearing movie specific gear. Of course toy story mania was packed by the time we got there.

I really hate the way they stopped having a rope drop. Now you could get there 40 minutes before park opening and simply draw some bad luck and get in a line where the magicband readers breakdown and end up behind some fatties that got there right at 9.

Freakin line for toy story was already 90 minutes so we went to TOT and RNR and got right on both.

I officially hate Frozen. Hollywood studios is packed. Never seen so many little rugrats dressed wearing movie specific gear. Of course toy story mania was packed by the time we got there.

I really hate the way they stopped having a rope drop. Now you could get there 40 minutes before park opening and simply draw some bad luck and get in a line where the magicband readers breakdown and end up behind some fatties that got there right at 9.

Freakin line for toy story was already 90 minutes so we went to TOT and RNR and got right on both.
Sounds like you had a magical time.

About damn time.

Sounds like you had a magical time.
We did.

Just hate Frozen and cant believe all the little kids that are nuts over it. I can't understand the insane love. We have to realize that Toy Story Mania is now pretty much a fast pass only ride and we can take advantage of the fact that the little Frozen lovers wont be going on TOT and RNR. We will adjust our strategy and move on.

The Disney parks right now have to absolutely be killing it. Prices are skyrocketing and the people just keep coming. Thank god we bought DVC. I honestly think we could otherwise have been priced out of the market.

Leaving for Florida next week for some vacation and planned on stopping at Disney World because we will be in Orlando. I haven't planned anything, but I assume the week after Labor Day should be ok, since schools will have started.

We will only do a day at Magic Kingdom I think (should be enough with a 2 and a 4 year old). Are lines nuts at all the meet and greets, or just the Frozen birds?

We will only do a day at Magic Kingdom I think (should be enough with a 2 and a 4 year old). Are lines nuts at all the meet and greets, or just the Frozen birds?
I tell anyone who will listen to me that a great morning can be had at DHS just meeting characters. You can meet:

Mike and Sulley

Mater and Lightning McQueen

Buzz and Woody

Phineas and Ferb

Mr. Incredible and Frozone

Sorcerer Mickey

Jake (Neverland Pirate)

Doc McStuffins

Sofia the First

Captain Jack Sparrow

Donald, Pluto and Minnie

Chip and Dale

And maybe others I'm forgetting. It's fantastic and essentially little to no wait for all of it because everyone is at TSM, TT and RnR.

There's a couple of assumptions:

- Your kids aren't scared of characters - obviously is they love them it's a no-brainier as they will usually spend some decent time with each kid because the line is so short.

- You've been before or plan to spend more than one day there. I'm not sure id recommend it for just one day.

- Your wife loves to either take photos of your kids or to have them taken (PhotoPass). And isn't this every mom? Tons of great photo opportunities.

Now I didn't really answer the question directly if you are just going to MK but there are fewer character meet and greets and several to lost are part of the FP+ system now.

Leaving for Florida next week for some vacation and planned on stopping at Disney World because we will be in Orlando. I haven't planned anything, but I assume the week after Labor Day should be ok, since schools will have started.

Weekend after labor day is the best time of year for crowd levels.

I tell anyone who will listen to me that a great morning can be had at DHS just meeting characters. You can meet:Mike and Sulley

Buzz and Woody

Phineas and Ferb

Sorcerer Mickey

Jake (Neverland Pirate)

Doc McStuffins

Sofia the First

Captain Jack Sparrow

Donald, Pluto and Minnie

Chip and Dale

And maybe others I'm forgetting. It's fantastic and essentially little to no wait for all of it because everyone is at TSM, TT and RnR.

- Your kids aren't scared of characters - obviously is they love them it's a no-brainier as they will usually spend some decent time with each kid because the line is so short.

- You've been before or plan to spend more than one day there. I'm not sure id recommend it for just one day.

- Your wife loves to either take photos of your kids or to have them taken (PhotoPass). And isn't this every mom? Tons of great photo opportunities.

Now I didn't really answer the question directly if you are just going to MK but there are fewer character meet and greets and several to lost are part of the FP+ system now.
I haven't been there since last summer, but if things are the same you left out Wreck it Ralph and Vanellope. (Downstairs in the building with Sorcerer Mickey and the Incredibles) Agree completely though, DHS is awesome for character meets.

I tell anyone who will listen to me that a great morning can be had at DHS just meeting characters. You can meet:Mike and Sulley

Buzz and Woody

Phineas and Ferb

Sorcerer Mickey

Jake (Neverland Pirate)

Doc McStuffins

Sofia the First

Captain Jack Sparrow

Donald, Pluto and Minnie

Chip and Dale

I appreciate the info, but non of those characters are really of interest to them (both girls). Maybe doc McStuffins, but even tht one is doubtful. They don't really care about characters outside of princesses. If it would've been the Octonauts it would've been a different story.I figured I would mosey around MK and see whatever princess was in low demand or easily accessible. They don't do rides either, so should be low stress I hope.

The family owns an apartment in Orlando, and my wife lived in Florida for many years, so while this is the first visit, I'm sure there will be plenty more in future years when the kids are old enough to appreciate it.

For myself I really only want to see their eyes light up when they meet Merinda, or jasmine or whatever princess we run into, survive the day (are flasks banned?), and make it back to the apartment relatively early.

Weekend after labor day is the best time of year for crowd levels.
Awesome! Muchos gracias!

Any advice on buying Disneyland package for two adults,three children in February?

In the past I drove there from Az and bought park passes at Costco. I can not say I enjoyed the drive and I would prefer to fly. I drove to save money and I suspect I will have to do this again but that seems like a waste of time and is very tiring to me.

I am interested in a package that includes flight,hotel,and park passes. Where is the best place to look for this? I did a google search but was not impressed with what I found. It also seems like it is hard to make reservations in Feb 2015 now?
Flying is no way to have a quest for fun.

I tell anyone who will listen to me that a great morning can be had at DHS just meeting characters. You can meet:There's a couple of assumptions:

I appreciate the info, but non of those characters are really of interest to them (both girls). Maybe doc McStuffins, but even tht one is doubtful. They don't really care about characters outside of princesses. If it would've been the Octonauts it would've been a different story.I figured I would mosey around MK and see whatever princess was in low demand or easily accessible. They don't do rides either, so should be low stress I hope.

The family owns an apartment in Orlando, and my wife lived in Florida for many years, so while this is the first visit, I'm sure there will be plenty more in future years when the kids are old enough to appreciate it.

For myself I really only want to see their eyes light up when they meet Merinda, or jasmine or whatever princess we run into, survive the day (are flasks banned?), and make it back to the apartment relatively early.
I'm sure flasks are banned, but they don't pat you down or anything on the way in. They check bags but that's it. Should be fine if discrete. Also, they now serve beer in the Magic Kingdom.

Here's the list of characters available to meet. FWIW, my two year old niece ended up not really caring for any of the princesses despite being excited about them leading up to the trip. But she loved the characters that weren't real people (Mickey, Minnie, Pooh, etc).

Stuff little girls might like...

Dumbo the Flying Elephant (they may enjoy the waiting area more than the ride)

Enchanted Tales with Belle (basically a compressed Beauty and Beast story "played out" by Belle and volunteers from the audience)

carrousel

Under the Sea (Little Mermaid, slow easy ride)

Ariel's Grotto (sounds dirty, she's pretty hot)

Merida at Fairytale Garden

Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (interactive stuff recently added to line)

Peter Pans Flight (line can suck)

it's a small world (usually a big hit for that age group)

Railroad (relaxing, good flask opportunity)

Jungle Cruise/Magic Carpets/Country Bears (if you decide to do more than just Fantasy Land)

The main thing is to get there early. It's much more enjoyable. Shorter lines, cooler temps, and then you can leave early. Park opens at 9, so try to be there at 8:30. Sucks to get up early on vacation, but you can get more done in the first two hours than in the next five. You can be back at the pool by the time it gets hot.

They definitely do not serve beer in the Magic Kingdom (maybe at Beast Castle but you can't leave with it and they'll cut you off).

Just left animal kingdom. Wife and son went through standby line 3 times in a row with zero wait.

Crazy swings in wait times. We went to epcot first thing in the morning and test track was 35 minutes and then soarin was 105 by the time we got there.

TOT was 10 minutes mid day and toy story was only 30.

Disco Stu said:
I tell anyone who will listen to me that a great morning can be had at DHS just meeting characters. You can meet:There's a couple of assumptions:

I'm sure flasks are banned, but they don't pat you down or anything on the way in. They check bags but that's it. Should be fine if discrete. Also, they now serve beer in the Magic Kingdom.

Here's the list of characters available to meet. FWIW, my two year old niece ended up not really caring for any of the princesses despite being excited about them leading up to the trip. But she loved the characters that weren't real people (Mickey, Minnie, Pooh, etc).

Stuff little girls might like...

Dumbo the Flying Elephant (they may enjoy the waiting area more than the ride)

Enchanted Tales with Belle (basically a compressed Beauty and Beast story "played out" by Belle and volunteers from the audience)

carrousel

Under the Sea (Little Mermaid, slow easy ride)

Ariel's Grotto (sounds dirty, she's pretty hot)

Merida at Fairytale Garden

Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (interactive stuff recently added to line)

Peter Pans Flight (line can suck)

it's a small world (usually a big hit for that age group)

Railroad (relaxing, good flask opportunity)

Jungle Cruise/Magic Carpets/Country Bears (if you decide to do more than just Fantasy Land)

The main thing is to get there early. It's much more enjoyable. Shorter lines, cooler temps, and then you can leave early. Park opens at 9, so try to be there at 8:30. Sucks to get up early on vacation, but you can get more done in the first two hours than in the next five. You can be back at the pool by the time it gets hot.
Fantastic! Many thanks! Discreet flask(s) it is.

No problem. Should clarify that MK beer sales are only at one restaurant (Be Our Guest) and only at dinner. The other three parks have drinks all over the place.

Fire away with any other questions.

No problem. Should clarify that MK beer sales are only at one restaurant (Be Our Guest) and only at dinner. The other three parks have drinks all over the place.

MK should just suck it up and turn that pinnochio restaurant into a beer garden. Charge 15 bucks a beer. Fathers would pay it.

Took my daughter to Disneyland yesterday. What's the deal with adults waiting 30 plus minutes in line for kids rides. There's an Autopia ride where you drive a car 10 MPh max on a guided track and people waited near an hour in line for it. I don't get it.

I don't get the whole character thing...it's a guy/girl in a costume...and people wait ungodly amounts of time so some random person to sign their autograph...maybe if you kids are three, but i see older ones doing it too...

MK should just suck it up and turn that pinnochio restaurant into a beer garden. Charge 15 bucks a beer. Fathers would pay it.
They make plenty of money. They don't want a bunch of old men stumbling around the park.

Users who are viewing this thread