What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Washington Redskins 2014 Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

Why because I'm not going crazy about our ####ty team right now? Aren't you the homer that's pimping Reed as the #2 TE in the league this year and you just happen to be a Redskin fan? LOL Archer.
Yes, because there are no other levels of fandom between overly whiny doosh and blind homer.
hmmmm the question "How many games are we going to win this year?" was asked. I answered the question. What's the problem again?
Not sure if you don't read your own posts, or if you just aren't that bright. If you can't understand why the inflammatory, hyperbolic negative tripe you seem to constantly post isn't just "answering the question" and is negatively received in the team's thread, then I don't know what to tell you. Then again, thanks to features of the board, it's easily remedied.

Has anyone seen RG3 in a REAL GAME since having that brace off and being 100% recovered? NO. I don't think the offense showed anything during the preseason. Has he looked sharp so far? No. Does that mean he's just garbage now and destined to fail? ABSOLUTELY NOT. But just seems when every post is negative, you've made up your mind and that is way premature. Have you completely forgotten what he did his rookie year? The entire problem I have with you Milkman is what you just said it, "it looks like he's going to bomb this year" Really?? Based on about 2 or 3 quarters of play during the preseason? Are you worried about Rodgers, Luck, Romo, Big Ben, Newton, Flacco, Romo, and Alex Smith? Because they all had a worse completion percentage that RG3 did this preseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone seen RG3 in a REAL GAME since having that brace off and being 100% recovered? NO. I don't think the offense showed anything during the preseason. Has he looked sharp so far? No. Does that mean he's just garbage now and destined to fail? ABSOLUTELY NOT. But just seems when every post is negative, you've made up your mind and that is way premature. Have you completely forgotten what he did his rookie year? The entire problem I have with you Milkman is what you just said it, "it looks like he's going to bomb this year" Really?? Based on about 2 or 3 quarters of play during the preseason? Are you worried about Rodgers, Luck, Romo, Big Ben, Newton, Flacco, Romo, and Alex Smith? Because they all had a worse completion percentage that RG3 did this preseason.
It's not so much about his play, it's about his decisions. He's not making good ones.

It's not so much about his play, it's about his decisions. He's not making good ones.
I'm hopeful his decisions when running the full offense will be better than a scaled back vanilla offense he ran during the preseason. I agree, he needs to take better care of his body, and I think a lot of people are trying to work with him. Hopefully that comes sooner than later. I'm sure a fan base will never be more excited about throw aways and QB slides this year than Redskins fans. ;)

RG3 Sucks right now Archer! If he was playing good I'd be all over his nuts. He's not. He hasn't been for two years and when he did play well they were running some BS gimmick offense.

I'm a realist dude. We sold the farm for RG3. Guess what? I think it was a good trade because of what RG3 had the potential to become. If he bombs this year, which it looks like he's going to do right now, then guess what? We didn't get our franchise QB and this team is back to square one. RG3 doesn't work out and we are a bottom 5 team in the league devoid of almost any talent period.

On a side note. I don't give a #### what you think of me. You dig?
I'm not a fan of RG3. He is not accurate and cannot get through progressions correctly. To me those are 2 of the 3 most important things for an NFL QB. The 3rd is arm strength, which he has. The trade is in the past and I don't care if we gave up 100 1st round picks for him. All I care is can he play QB in the NFL. I am probably giving him 8 games this year to get it right. If he can't, Kirk Cousins would see the final 8 games. But I'm definitely giving him that chance.

But we are not a bottom 5 team without him. In fact, I think the opposite. We are probably a top 15 team without him. At this stage RG3 and the OL are the only things holding this team back from success. But if they bring me in to coach today, I'm still rolling the dice with RG3 for a few more games. He has some skills that give him potential.

On a separate note, I think RG3 could be a success if his coaches schemed differently. We should be in a spread offense. 4 pass catchers on every play ... Garcon, Jackson, Roberts, and Reed (rotate in Grant and Robinson). Morris rotating at RB (with Helu and Redd). That pulls 5 defenders away from the line. It allows space for RG3 to use his speed on broken plays. It makes it easier for RG3 to make reads. I personally don't care how often RG3 runs, nor would I tell him to avoid hits. I think he gets hurt more trying to slide and get to the sidelines than he does by actually getting hit on runs. I'd also go no huddle to wear down the defense. Imagine the DL trying to chase RG3 after 5 plays on the field with no breather. The problem with this is simple...NFL coaches have learned from other NFL coaches, and most have no creativity. Gruden seems to be willing to open it up some. Hopefully he just totally opens it up at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a Washington fan, but I think they have strong shot at 8 wins this season. It depends on RGIII's recovery, of course. I believe RGIII will come back and look like his old self. The team needs help on defense to make the playoffs.

Why because I'm not going crazy about our ####ty team right now? Aren't you the homer that's pimping Reed as the #2 TE in the league this year and you just happen to be a Redskin fan? LOL Archer.
Yes, because there are no other levels of fandom between overly whiny doosh and blind homer.
hmmmm the question "How many games are we going to win this year?" was asked. I answered the question. What's the problem again?
Not sure if you don't read your own posts, or if you just aren't that bright. If you can't understand why the inflammatory, hyperbolic negative tripe you seem to constantly post isn't just "answering the question" and is negatively received in the team's thread, then I don't know what to tell you. Then again, thanks to features of the board, it's easily remedied.
Dude I answered the question that was posted. If you want to think positive great. This teams success falls squarely on RG3. If he does well the team will do well. If not we're sunk. He doesn't look good right now. Every game he looks bad is one game closer to him being benched.

I do agree if the team is struggling by mid or late season, they should see what they have in Cousins. But I expect Robert to rebound. He put Baylor on the map. He won the Heisman. He was rookie of the year. I think he's proved he can play this game and belongs in the NFL. Health is the key.

lol dude looks lost. Sorry but he does. Bought a jersey 2 minutes after he was drafted. Enjoyed his rookie year immensely. I have no problem not posting in here though if you guys only want people that stay positive no matter what that's fine. Good luck. Enjoy the season.

But we are not a bottom 5 team without him. In fact, I think the opposite. We are probably a top 15 team without him. At this stage RG3 and the OL are the only things holding this team back from success. But if they bring me in to coach today, I'm still rolling the dice with RG3 for a few more games. He has some skills that give him potential.
I disagree that, right now, the Skinds are a top 15 team (regardless of who they put on the field.

The offensive line does 1 thing well -- run blocking while moving to the side. They are bad at power run blocking and they are bad at pass blocking.

The WR's are above average.

One RB is above average; the FB is above average. The backups are average at best.

The defensive line is, at its best, average. ILB's may or may not be average, depending on how Robinson plays. The OLB's get local press for sack ability but they change no games and they cannot pass cover.

CB's are iffy --- if Hall can play up to what he did last year and if Amerson isn't torched regularly the duo may achieve 'average'.

The S's suck. Watch the CB's follow a WR and hand him off to a S who isn't there as they did regularly last year.

Special teams sucked miserable ### last year. Lots of local press says they'll be improved this year. With a tremendous amount of luck and effort they might achieve "average" but I doubt it.

And the assessment of Cousin's ability here is getting further and further from reality. Griffin outplayed him last year, period. Yet listening here and elsewhere it's as though Griffin sucked ### and Cousins looked significantly better. It's as though nobody remembers the last 3 games last year when Cousins started, won none, piled up a miserable QB rating, turned the ball over more than hte threw TD's, and trashed his own trade value. The year before that Griffin outplayed Cousins by a mile. You folks are ignoring obvious history if you think Cousins gives the Skins a better chance to win.

NFC East is weak this year -- the Eagles will be decent, but the Cowboys won't and the Giants will be a trainwreck IMO. So 3-3 or 4-2 in the division is possible. Throw in 3-7 or 4-6 outside and you're at six to eight wins.

People think Cousins is better than he is because he looks comfortable in the pocket. He is calm, has nice footwork, goes through his reads....from the time the huddle breaks to the time the ball leaves his hands, he does look more like an NFL QB than RG3. But that doesn't stop him from making just as many bad decisions and bad throws as RG3. Some just think he looks "better" in this offense, but his production is worse across the board.

I disagree that, right now, the Skinds are a top 15 team (regardless of who they put on the field.

The offensive line does 1 thing well -- run blocking while moving to the side. They are bad at power run blocking and they are bad at pass blocking.

One RB is above average; the FB is above average. The backups are average at best.

The defensive line is, at its best, average. ILB's may or may not be average, depending on how Robinson plays. The OLB's get local press for sack ability but they change no games and they cannot pass cover.

CB's are iffy --- if Hall can play up to what he did last year and if Amerson isn't torched regularly the duo may achieve 'average'.

The S's suck. Watch the CB's follow a WR and hand him off to a S who isn't there as they did regularly last year.

Special teams sucked miserable ### last year. Lots of local press says they'll be improved this year. With a tremendous amount of luck and effort they might achieve "average" but I doubt it.
:goodposting: This is such an accurate assessment, I'm surprised I didn't write it myself!

There are 32 Teams in the NFL, making the middle point 16/17. My personal feeling is that the Redskins will wind up somewhere between 13 - 20, 12 being the cutoff for a Playoffs-caliber Team. I think 8-8 is a reasonable projection, with a floor of 6-10 and a ceiling of 9-7, based on my opinion of the Team and the schedule.

As much as it's possible for Griffin to/to have regressed, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility for Cousins to/to have improved. Colt McCoy is occupying a valuable Roster spot for the benefit of both Griffin and Cousins, IMHO. An improved Cousins resembles the prototypical NFL Quarterback more closely than Griffin playing at his current level, but I'm neither certain that Cousins has improved, or that we've seen an accurate picture of Griffin thus far in the preseason. If Griffin brings his preseason play into the season, and Cousins has improved, I'd have no problem with Cousins taking the helm, to see who's more capable of getting us in the win column.

I was impressed with the quick signing of Ihenacho - he's had valuable starter reps on the field, and has been in a locker room with a Championship-caliber contender, which IMHO is an invaluable intangible, not to mention that, even if he's only a 'box safety' he's a substantial upgrade over what we'd otherwise be trotting out at our weakest position. I've gotten somewhat accustomed to nothing being done. I'm especially pleased with the apparent disregard for a Player's 'status' going into whether or not he makes the dress roster. Regardless of how you've gotten here, or how much you're being paid, your ability to factor into putting a winning product on the field should be the the primary decider if you should dress or not come gameday.

Quick word on Meriweather - from my friend who's a former strength and conditioning Coach for the Redskins, Meriweather is not considered by him, or anyone he (my friend) personally knows - players and coaches alike - as a 'dirty' player. All this hitting stuff is a very recent development in the timeline of the NFL, and was generally accepted, and even coached to some degree in very recent history at the prep, college and professional levels of football. He''s a tremendously talented football player with quite an impressive pedigree - Apopka HS in Florida is one of the most prestigious prep football programs in the nation - 6A State Champs in his senior year in 2001 - and you don't get a full ride to Miami, Fla for nothing - where he won the 'Hard Hitter' Award (yes, believe it or not, they have awards for that sort of thing in all major football schools at the prep and college level :shockandawe: ) in 2004.

He was a FWAA All American and 1st-team All-ACC and a Thorpe Award semifinalist in 2005, and won that nasty old Hard Hitter Award again...

2006, did it again - 1st-Team All-ACC, All American, Playboy Pre-Season All-American and Thorpe Award semi-finalist. Some evil, wicked, mean and nasty Player actually beat him out for Hard Hitter that year. I wonder who that scumbag is. :rolleyes:

I applaud the NFL's interest in the health of it's players, but at some point, football is football, and just because atheletes are getting bigger, stronger and faster doesn't necessarily having to legislate the way the game is being played. IMHO, a Player has a choice to play Professional Football, or not, and my personal proper way to address this (which I don't doubt some folks may disagree with, and that's completely their right), is that if you make the conscious choice to play NFL Football, you should have to sign something that acknowledges that football is a violent full-contact sport with certain risks associated with, and by acknowledging this, you waive and hold harmless the NFL for anything that happens to you while playing, because it was your choice to play in the NFL.

I don't know how many casual fans understand the tremendous amount of difficulty associated with having a player 'unlearn' a technique that's been taught and encouraged from the time they first put on a helmet to the present day - and on top of that, having them 'unlearn' said technique when they are playing at the highest level of football possible. It's actually dangerous to the player himself, in the following manner: the one difference separating players who have long careers from short, as related by me to my friend who has real-life insider knowledge of such things, is their ability to translate their game to 'the speed at which the NFL game is played' - players who have long careers are able to make this transition quickly - where the game 'slows down' for them because they no longer have to think about what they are doing - when it becomes instinctive, and can just 'do' rather than 'think about what they are doing', they've made the transition. Many superlative college Players flame out quickly primarily because of their inability to do this, and according to my friend, a majority of players who sustain career-shortening, limiting or ending injuries, do so because they are too busy 'thinking' rather than just 'doing', and get hurt by sustaining contact with players who are 'doing' without wasting the time to have to 'think'. Think about it - in most traffic accidents not involving an extenuating circumstance like weather, alcohol or drug intoxication, or experience involve speed - but not as we traditionally think about it, but rather 'differential speed'.

Asking a football player, especially one playing at the highest level, to do anything that might cause him to think and slow him down on the field, while the majority of other players on the field are playing at full speed without thinking, causes all sorts of problems with injuries resulting from the same 'differential speed' equation. Take it for what it's worth, but that's how it was explained to me by someone who knows the real story.

Then again, I also think (and this will probably generate controversy as well) that it should be mandated in NFL contracts that Team Administration/Players Associations should have an Office in charge of assisting players in financial education and managing their money both in the present and for retirement planning/life after football, but what do I know.

Just one man's opinion...

7-9

i think they get by teams early, albeit unimpressively, followed by a swoon, then decent play towards the end of the yr.

I'm not a fan of RG3. He is not accurate and cannot get through progressions correctly. To me those are 2 of the 3 most important things for an NFL QB. The 3rd is arm strength, which he has. The trade is in the past and I don't care if we gave up 100 1st round picks for him. All I care is can he play QB in the NFL. I am probably giving him 8 games this year to get it right. If he can't, Kirk Cousins would see the final 8 games. But I'm definitely giving him that chance.
I personally believe RGIII gets two years to show what he can do and what he can develop into. Once RGIII is benched for poor play, I don't think we can ever go back to him. Of course, if there is an injury, it's a different story.

If RGIII plays really poorly, we are in for a long season.

:goodposting: This is such an accurate assessment, I'm surprised I didn't write it myself!

There are 32 Teams in the NFL, making the middle point 16/17. My personal feeling is that the Redskins will wind up somewhere between 13 - 20, 12 being the cutoff for a Playoffs-caliber Team. I think 8-8 is a reasonable projection, with a floor of 6-10 and a ceiling of 9-7, based on my opinion of the Team and the schedule.

As much as it's possible for Griffin to/to have regressed, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility for Cousins to/to have improved. Colt McCoy is occupying a valuable Roster spot for the benefit of both Griffin and Cousins, IMHO. An improved Cousins resembles the prototypical NFL Quarterback more closely than Griffin playing at his current level, but I'm neither certain that Cousins has improved, or that we've seen an accurate picture of Griffin thus far in the preseason. If Griffin brings his preseason play into the season, and Cousins has improved, I'd have no problem with Cousins taking the helm, to see who's more capable of getting us in the win column.

I was impressed with the quick signing of Ihenacho - he's had valuable starter reps on the field, and has been in a locker room with a Championship-caliber contender, which IMHO is an invaluable intangible, not to mention that, even if he's only a 'box safety' he's a substantial upgrade over what we'd otherwise be trotting out at our weakest position. I've gotten somewhat accustomed to nothing being done. I'm especially pleased with the apparent disregard for a Player's 'status' going into whether or not he makes the dress roster. Regardless of how you've gotten here, or how much you're being paid, your ability to factor into putting a winning product on the field should be the the primary decider if you should dress or not come gameday.

Quick word on Meriweather - from my friend who's a former strength and conditioning Coach for the Redskins, Meriweather is not considered by him, or anyone he (my friend) personally knows - players and coaches alike - as a 'dirty' player. All this hitting stuff is a very recent development in the timeline of the NFL, and was generally accepted, and even coached to some degree in very recent history at the prep, college and professional levels of football. He''s a tremendously talented football player with quite an impressive pedigree - Apopka HS in Florida is one of the most prestigious prep football programs in the nation - 6A State Champs in his senior year in 2001 - and you don't get a full ride to Miami, Fla for nothing - where he won the 'Hard Hitter' Award (yes, believe it or not, they have awards for that sort of thing in all major football schools at the prep and college level :shockandawe: ) in 2004.

He was a FWAA All American and 1st-team All-ACC and a Thorpe Award semifinalist in 2005, and won that nasty old Hard Hitter Award again...

2006, did it again - 1st-Team All-ACC, All American, Playboy Pre-Season All-American and Thorpe Award semi-finalist. Some evil, wicked, mean and nasty Player actually beat him out for Hard Hitter that year. I wonder who that scumbag is. :rolleyes:

I applaud the NFL's interest in the health of it's players, but at some point, football is football, and just because atheletes are getting bigger, stronger and faster doesn't necessarily having to legislate the way the game is being played. IMHO, a Player has a choice to play Professional Football, or not, and my personal proper way to address this (which I don't doubt some folks may disagree with, and that's completely their right), is that if you make the conscious choice to play NFL Football, you should have to sign something that acknowledges that football is a violent full-contact sport with certain risks associated with, and by acknowledging this, you waive and hold harmless the NFL for anything that happens to you while playing, because it was your choice to play in the NFL.

I don't know how many casual fans understand the tremendous amount of difficulty associated with having a player 'unlearn' a technique that's been taught and encouraged from the time they first put on a helmet to the present day - and on top of that, having them 'unlearn' said technique when they are playing at the highest level of football possible. It's actually dangerous to the player himself, in the following manner: the one difference separating players who have long careers from short, as related by me to my friend who has real-life insider knowledge of such things, is their ability to translate their game to 'the speed at which the NFL game is played' - players who have long careers are able to make this transition quickly - where the game 'slows down' for them because they no longer have to think about what they are doing - when it becomes instinctive, and can just 'do' rather than 'think about what they are doing', they've made the transition. Many superlative college Players flame out quickly primarily because of their inability to do this, and according to my friend, a majority of players who sustain career-shortening, limiting or ending injuries, do so because they are too busy 'thinking' rather than just 'doing', and get hurt by sustaining contact with players who are 'doing' without wasting the time to have to 'think'. Think about it - in most traffic accidents not involving an extenuating circumstance like weather, alcohol or drug intoxication, or experience involve speed - but not as we traditionally think about it, but rather 'differential speed'.

Asking a football player, especially one playing at the highest level, to do anything that might cause him to think and slow him down on the field, while the majority of other players on the field are playing at full speed without thinking, causes all sorts of problems with injuries resulting from the same 'differential speed' equation. Take it for what it's worth, but that's how it was explained to me by someone who knows the real story.

Then again, I also think (and this will probably generate controversy as well) that it should be mandated in NFL contracts that Team Administration/Players Associations should have an Office in charge of assisting players in financial education and managing their money both in the present and for retirement planning/life after football, but what do I know.

Just one man's opinion...
Nittanylion, I always love your posts. They always bring a fresh perspective on things.

Users who are viewing this thread