What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (3 Viewers)

Does anyone have any actual evidence other than Josh Gordon that his positive test was for 16 ng/ml? I came in late on this thread.

@MaryKayCabot · 4m
#Browns Gordon will have his suspension reduced from season-long to 10 games because of the stage he was in: 4th violation equals 10 games.

@MaryKayCabot 1m
#Browns Gordon is getting no special treatment, lg source says. Just going by terms of the new policy. (4th violation equals 10 games).

The retroactive cutoff date is key here. It seems like his test is still positive because it was before that date, but the suspension was after, so it is under the new rules.

Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 58s

#Browns Gordon will have his suspension reduced from season-long to 10 games because of the stage he was in: 4th violation equals 10 games.
Ten games totally screws the Browns. Gordon gets an accrued season, so he becomes a free agent a year earlier than if his suspension were 11 games, but playing in only six games isn't really enough to help the team all that much.

Ten games totally screws the Browns. Gordon gets an accrued season, so he becomes a free agent a year earlier than if his suspension were 11 games, but playing in only six games isn't really enough to help the team all that much.
So that's probably the highest number the NFLPA was okay with then?

Okay... here's my thought on this:

If you tested positive OR you were disciplined after March 11, the standards are retroactively applied.

He tested positive March 5 - so that standard isn't retroactively applied.

But he was disciplined after that - so the discipline standard IS retroactively applied, and he gets 10 games for his 4th violation instead of a year.

In all honesty this is so unfair to his employer

I mean your start p[layer is hanging in the balance, how are you supposed to plan? How do they even know what to do next week, or the weeks following. Their best car salesman could walk out the door based on this nfl ruling and they'll be left totally in the lurch

just so unfair

So that's probably the highest number the NFLPA was okay with then?
that makes some sense

So now Mary Kay has insider knowledge? C'mon, you guys are better than that.

Best source by far, has been Feely. I do agree that there's some room in his words for interpretation, but I got the sense that he was talking in general terms, but actually referring them to JG, in particular; I remain very optimistic based on that interview and won't let MaryKayCabbotLodge twitter musings sway that.

If you tested positive OR you were disciplined after March 11, the standards are retroactively applied.

But he was disciplined after that - so the discipline standard IS retroactively applied, and he gets 10 games for his 4th violation instead of a year.
I've thought about it more, and I'm sticking to this interpretation until I read the actual language. Seems right to me.

JG has to be one of the unluckiest guys around

goes 1 ng over the old limit, blows a .09 in his DUI, misses amnesty by 6 days, was drafted by the Browns

it's a quadruple whammy

But........ his test result wasnt a violation under this policy

How does this make any sense, whatsoever?
Keep in mind that nearly everything being reported is wrong. There may be no truth to ten games.

But it absolutely would make sense if the new policy gives a 10-game suspension for a fourth violation.

The ambiguous quote from Florio above says: "All players who tested positive or who were otherwise disciplined or placed into the drug or PED program will have retroactivity, with the new rules being reapplied as of March 11, 2014."

That could mean that anything (tests, suspensions, etc.) that happened on or after March 11 will be handled under the new policy rather than the old one.

Gordon's positive test happened before March 11, so it's still positive.

His suspension, however, happened after March 11, so instead of being suspended for a full year (under the old policy), he'll be suspended for only ten games (under the new policy).

Keep in mind that nearly everything being reported is wrong. There may be no truth to ten games.

But it absolutely would make sense if the new policy gives a 10-game suspension for a fourth violation.

The ambiguous quote from Florio above says: "All players who tested positive or who were otherwise disciplined or placed into the drug or PED program will have retroactivity, with the new rules being reapplied as of March 11, 2014."

That could mean that anything (tests, suspensions, etc.) that happened on or after March 11 will be handled under the new policy rather than the old one.

His suspension, however, happened after March 11, so instead of being suspended for a full year (under the old policy), he'll be suspended for only ten games (under the new policy).
Maurile agrees with me. Lead pipe lock now.

This makes a lot of sense, and would explain the 10 game ban scenario. It would also make sense of MaryKay's tweet. :unsure:

This does make sense for sure.

JG has to be one of the unluckiest guys around

goes 1 ng over the old limit, blows a .09 in his DUI, misses amnesty by 6 days, was drafted by the Browns

it's a quadruple whammy
barely guilty is guilty

he's not unlucky, he makes poor choices over and over again

• Smile
Reactions: SCT
lololol

please some kicker tweet something more to give us hope he plays!

game of thrones ain't got nothing on this

I've thought about it more, and I'm sticking to this interpretation until I read the actual language. Seems right to me.
If true, I hope the player reps vote down the proposal. Feely correctly noted it's unfair to Gordon and others who failed tests prior to March 11.

Last edited by a moderator:
So here's a fun note - If this 10 game thing holds water, that would keep him out till mid November. . . .which just happens to coincide with his DUI court date. . . .and if convicted would be a new suspension.

HA!!!!

I need some scissors and a spoon please.

I know I know, this is a "look at me" post, but I've been F5ing this thing all day, AND talking trade with some people in my league. First I was trying to sell when it sounded like 8 games. Then I pulled all my offers when it looked like rainbows and sunshine. And right as the 10 game report comes in, he offers me Justin Hunter & Rashad Jennings for Gordon & Terrence West. And I pulled the trigger.

Felt like I had to - cause the 10 games is looking strong.

Jay Feely said players weren't going to get hosed by some arbitrary date. He would actually know. Gordon gets 0.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread