What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2014 (2 Viewers)

new ryan adams is terrific
ya it is

I just realized he did a voivod inspired album in memory of piggy, orion

not sure how I missed it
hadn't heard of him before you guys started talking about him in here.

then I noticed KCRW's music mine on Spotify has had him pretty religiously up and down the DJ lineups. I find it pretty *meh*. Does not turn my crank at all... but I'm much less into the singer/song-writer lyric or melody driven type of stuff like this. I tend to like rhythm/hook driven songs- barely listen to the lyrics until much later.

ya it is

not sure how I missed it

then I noticed KCRW's music mine on Spotify has had him pretty religiously up and down the DJ lineups. I find it pretty *meh*. Does not turn my crank at all... but I'm much less into the singer/song-writer lyric or melody driven type of stuff like this. I tend to like rhythm/hook driven songs- barely listen to the lyrics until much later.
So you guys into this stuff also into the new Hiss Golden Messenger? Just curious... seems similar.

I've been pretty excited for the new Alt-J to come out... on Spotify today. Their debut was one of my favorites of the last few years.

3 songs in and it's kinda sleepy/uninteresting.

Take away a few clunkers on each, and the new King Tuff and Ty Segall feel so alike they could almost be companion pieces.

I can't wait for the new Iceage album Plowing Into the Field of Love.

"The Lord's Favorite" and "Forever" are both really great tracks.

El Floppo said:
I've been pretty excited for the new Alt-J to come out... on Spotify today. Their debut was one of my favorites of the last few years.

Listened to it a few times today... a handful of songs that are catchy uptempo, otherwise a lot of sleepy rhythmically-minimal atmospheric stuff. Sounds nice, but not what I was hoping for.

El Floppo said:

Listened to it a few times today... a handful of songs that are catchy uptempo, otherwise a lot of sleepy rhythmically-minimal atmospheric stuff. Sounds nice, but not what I was hoping for.
Listening again this morning- in a totally different mood... and the quieter atmospheric quality of this thing is working much better for me.

Interesting duet "Warm Foothills" where male and female singer exchange single sung words at times... but without missing a beat of the melody. Can't remember hearing this done before, and must be incredbily hard to do live.

Listening again this morning- in a totally different mood... and the quieter atmospheric quality of this thing is working much better for me.

Interesting duet "Warm Foothills" where male and female singer exchange single sung words at times... but without missing a beat of the melody. Can't remember hearing this done before, and must be incredbily hard to do live.
I'm liking it a lot. Great album.

Nick Vermeil said:
New Alt J is outstanding. It fully establishes them as one of top bands out there.
:goodposting:
Been listening to it a lot the last couple of days.

Just pulled out Awesome Wave... and this new one seems to be a lot rehashing from that- and to be honest, I much prefer Wave. Still like this, but not up there for me.

Nick Vermeil said:
New Alt J is outstanding. It fully establishes them as one of top bands out there.

Just pulled out Awesome Wave... and this new one seems to be a lot rehashing from that- and to be honest, I much prefer Wave. Still like this, but not up there for me.
Wave is better, but to me they are very different. I hear the total opposite.

Wave is better, but to me they are very different. I hear the total opposite.
Much different tempos, but a lot of rehashed melodies and rhythms, IMO.

In 27 days1989 will be released and you will have the undisputed answer to the thread title and you can take that to the bank bromingo.

I've been non-stop listening to the poorly named Perfume Genius' latest, Too Bright on the Spotify. Big, big fan.

And inbetween, listened to the Jamie T a few times today... pretty good. Enjoyed it a first few listens much more than the Alt-J. Feels like he's matured a bit musically. I always put Jamie T and The Streets in the same wagon... The Streets maturation turned to ####e, IMO- but this feels more like progress.

New Weezer is incredible. I have always been a pretty big fan and this is probably as close classic Weezer as they will ever get. About the third time through it started to hit me that there are quite a few songs on this that eventually will rank with their best songs...really great stuff.

ya it is

not sure how I missed it

So you guys into this stuff also into the new Hiss Golden Messenger? Just curious... seems similar.
anybody? this keeps popping up- and it has the same singer/songwriter :sleep: vibe as Ryan Adams. I think you will like it. "you"= the people who like more thoughtfully written and sung music vs the more basic garagey stuff I like.

eta: has a Father John Misty vibe, IMO...

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep wondering if it's shtick or not.

Guy is a goof ball. My son and I sat in on his set for a bit at Newport. He was yelling at the crowd, ect.

It was ####### Newport. How do you yell at a Newport crowd?

Son: "Dad, why is that guy angry and yelling instead of playing his guitar?"

Me: "Dunno, but watch this: Play Freebird!~@!~@"

Sun Kil Moon: "Be quiet"

Son: "That was awesome! But can we leave now?"

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep wondering if it's shtick or not.

Guy is a goof ball. My son and I sat in on his set for a bit at Newport. He was yelling at the crowd, ect.

It was ####### Newport. How do you yell at a Newport crowd?

Son: "Dad, why is that guy angry and yelling instead of playing his guitar?"

Me: "Dunno, but watch this: Play Freebird!~@!~@"

Sun Kil Moon: "Be quiet"

Son: "That was awesome! But can we leave now?"
:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread